Zeph. W. (Zephaniah Walter) Pease.

History of New Bedford (Volume III) online

. (page 3 of 33)
Online LibraryZeph. W. (Zephaniah Walter) PeaseHistory of New Bedford (Volume III) → online text (page 3 of 33)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

principal capital at that time was a United States patent for the making
of a twist drill. All the civilized world is now a market for the products
of t\\e company, and frequent extra dividends are the lot of the stock-
holders. The position Mr. Gladding holds has been fairly won by him,
and great as are its responsibilities he fully measures up to its require-
ments. Mr. Gladding is a lover of the out-of-door sports, motoring, boat-
ing and golf, his clubs, the New Bedford Yacht, Country, Brooks and
Julian. He is a Republican in politics, attends the Trinitarian church,
the Masonic order and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is
also a member of associations of a business and technical nature, among
which is the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and wherever
known is highly esteemed.

He married in Newport, Rhode Island, February 18, 1897, Sadiean
K. Kaull, daughter of Henry Augustus and Frances (Stevens) Kaull.
Mr. and Mrs. Gladding are the parents of a son. Wanton Elgar, born
October 26, 1901, a student at high school, and a daughter, Sadiean
Kaull, born September 4. 1906.


The same self-reliant spirit which led Mr. Read, a boy of fifteen, out
into the world, remained with him during his four years' absence from
New Bedford, and has ever been one of his valuable assets. He has never
retreated from any duty assigned him or voluntarily assumed, and in
the hard school of experience has developed his resources of mind and
body. He in one of the men who constitute the official personnel of
that great New Bedford corporation, the Morse Twist Drill and Ma-
chine Company, has risen from the grade of clerk to the important post
of purchasing agent. He is a son of Clement and Mary C. (Johnson)
Read, his father an instructor and chemist.

William T. Read was born in New Bedford, Massachusetts, April
8, 1883, and is yet (1917) a resident of his native city. He attended the
public schools until he was fifteen years of age, then went to Richmond,
Virginia, where he spent four years in clerical work. He returned to
New Bedford, in 1902, and entered the employ of the Morse Twist Drill
and Machine Company, as clerk, his association with that company still
continuing. Through sheer ability he impressed himself upon the busi-
ness to an extent that could not be overlooked, and within a few years


he was advanced through other grades to the post of purchasing agent,
a promotion both earned and deserved. Mr. Read is a Democrat in
political preference, an attendant of the Protestant Episcopal church,
member of the Wamsutta and Country clubs.

Mr. Read married, July 19, 1909, Sarah Hicks, daughter of Herbert
E. and Clara E. (Allen) Hicks. Mr. and Mrs. Read are the parents
of a daughter, Mary Hicks, born in New Bedford, February 19, 191 1.


When the Pierce Mill started in December, 1892, James Otis Thomp-
son, Jr., now agent for the New Bedford Cotton Mills Corporation,
began his career as a cotton mill worker. The quarter of a century which
has since intervened have been years of progress and expansion for him
as well as for the business he embraced, and he has become an important
figure in the affairs of the corporation he so ably serves and guides in
its dividend earning course. He is a son of James Otis Thompson, Sr.,
of New Bedford. Massachusetts, and grandson of Amasa Thompson.
James Otis Thompson, Sr., born in Middleboro, Massachusetts, in 1835,
died in 1902. In business life he was an express messenger, and was a
veteran of the Civil War, member of the local Grand Army Post. He
married Elizabeth Helen Simmons, born in Dighton, Massachusetts, in
1838, died in 1910. Their children were: Frederick Boomer, born in
New Bedford, December 10, 1866, married, in 1899, Adelaide Cleary ;
Grace Eaton, born December 17, 1868, married, in 1896, William E.
James ; James Otis, Jr., of further mention.

James Otis Thompson, Jr. was born in New Bedford, Massachu-
setts, October 2, 1871. After passing all grades of public school, he was
graduated from high school, class of 1889. After graduation, he was em-
ployed in the photographic studio of Hadley & Reed until December,
1892, acquiring a good knowledge of that art. With the building of the
Pierce Mill, in 1892, a good opportunity offered to learn the business
and he accepted it. He remained there until June, 1894, and then went to
the Wamsutta Mills, there receiving promotions to the post of cotton
sampler and cost figurer. the latter position embracing that of assis-
tant superintendent. In October, 1897, he was appointed superintendent
of the Wamsutta Mills, Numbers 6 and 7, serving in that capacity until
1899, then becoming superintendent of the yarn mills of this corpora-
tion. Numbers i, 2 and 3. In June, 1902, he was promoted to the superin-
tendenc}' of Wamsutta Mills, Numbers 4 and 5, succeeding Mr. John
Neild. He resigned this position to accept the superintendency of the
Wampanoag Mills in Fall River, Massachusetts, in April, 1905, having
full charge of the mills without an agent. He continued in this posi-
tion until June, 1909, then resigned to accept the superintendent's posi-
tion of the New Bedford Cotton Mills Corporation, which had just been


organized and the erection of the buildings being then in process. He
continued in that position until 1914, then was appointed agent and so
continues (1917). The New Bedford Cotton Mills Corporation is a
million dollar corporation, and manufactures fine cotton goods, plain and
fancies. They employ six hundred and eighty operators who tend the
seventy-three thousand spindles and fourteen hundred looms. Mr.
Thompson is also a director of the New Bedford and Acushnet Co-
operative banks, of the corporation of which he is agent, also trustee,
director and clerk of the New Bedford Textile School.

In politics, Mr. Thompson is a Republican, but never sought nor
held public office. From 1894 to 1897 he was a member of the Naval
Brigade, Massachusetts National Guard. He is a member of the Massa-
chusetts Republican Club, the National Association of Cotton Manu-
facturers, the Textile Club of Boston, Southern New England Textile
Club of Providence, Old Dartmouth Historical Society of New Bedford,
the Brooks, Wamsutta and Country clubs of New Bedford. He holds
all degrees of the York Rite bodies, afifiliated vdth Star in the East
Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons ; Adoniram Chapter, Royal Arch
Masons ; Sutton Commandery, Knights Templar, all of New Bedford.
His Council membership is with the Fall River organization. He is
also a noble of Palestine Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Provi-
dence, Rhode Island. His Scottish Rite bodies are: Lafayette Lodge
of Perfection, Mt. Olivet Chapter Rose Croix, Giles Fonda Yates Council
of Princes of Jerusalem, and Massachusetts Consistory, all of Boston,
he holding all degrees of the rite up to and including the thirty-second.

Mr. Thompson married, in New Bedford, June 14, 1899, Mary
Elizabeth Baker, born in Providence, Rhode Island, April 18, 1872,
daughter of Ephraim D. and Georgianna Baker. They are the parents
of two children: Philip Eaton, born May 2, 1902, preparing for Harvard
at St. George's School, Newport, Rhode Island ; Louise, born October
23, 1903. attending New Bedford Friends Academy.


From the age of sixteen, Mr. Noel has been connected with the
business life of his native city. New Bedford, through the medium of
the Automatic Telephone Company, beginning as a night operator, and
rising to his present position of superintendent, a position which he has
most satisfactorily filled since 1915, and to his ability as a superintendent
and to his genius at invention and improvement, the New Bedford
branch of the corporation controlling this most modern invention, the
automatic telephone, owes a measure of its success. His experience
has gained in similar work in the Fall River Exchange of the Automatic
Company, and in Chicago, Illinois, with Automatic Electric Company,
N B-21


but his initial experience was with the home company, and when the
aims for which he went away were fulfilled, and the broadening experi-
ence gained, he returned to fill his present responsible position. Arthur
A. Noel is a son of Bartholomew Noel, now deceased, a former real
estate dealer in New Bedford.

Arthur A. Noel was born in New Bedford, Massachusetts, May 5,
1888, and in the city public schools obtained his education. At the age
of sixteen years he left high school to enter the employ of the New Bed-
ford Automatic Telephone Company, beginning as an operator on the
night force and there serving an apprenticeship of three years. During
these years he became an expert in the automatic telephone business,
thoroughly familiar with the machines used, their construction and
their weakness. From New Bedford he was transferred to the Fall
River Automatic Telephone Company, as assistant superintendent, later,
in 1910, was appointed superintendent, and there continued until 1914,
building up a strong office there. The next year was spent in Chicago
with the Automatic Electric Company of that city, after which he re-
turned to New Bedford, where he succeeded to the superintendency of
the New Bedford Automatic Telephone Company in 1915, upon the
resignation of Mr. Brinkley.

During his years of automatic telephone service, Mr. Noel has seen
where the system could be strengthened and to his genius several im-
provements are due, particular mention being made of his very success-
ful improvement to the automatic ringing up of subscribers, a new
system of party line operation, an improved method of management, re-
sulting in greater efficiency. The automatic telephone is a success, al-
though practically in its infancy, and in its young, but earnest, New
Bedford superintendent, and in men of his stamp lies the system's hope
of becoming a formidable rival of the Bell systems. Mr. Noel is a
member of King Philip Lodge, Masons, of Fall River.


As manager of the Jonathan Handy Company, Nos. 2S-30 William
street. New Bedford, Mr. Jewett is filling a position left vacant by his
brother, William N. Jewett, at his death in 191 1. William N. Jewett
assumed the duties of manager upon the death of Jonathan Handy in
1895. The Jonathan Handy Company succeeded Watkins & Handy in
the wholesale iron and metal business, established in 1833. The
brothers, William N. and Charles A. Jewett, have been in turn managers
of this very successful corporation. The former having been with the
old firm, Watkins & Handy, remained with Mr. Handy after his pur-
chase of Mr. Watkins' interest and succeeded to the management when
Mr. Handy died. Thus for considerably over a quarter of a century
Jewetts have been connected with the company, and since 1895 have been


the managing heads. The brothers are sons of Nelson E. and Amanda
M. (Leavitt) Jewett, who settled in New Bedford when their sons were
children, and grandsons of Joshua Jewett, of New Hampshire.

Nelson E. Jewett was born April 15, 1839, and died February 24,
iqi4. >Ie was an expert machinist, pur.sued his calling in Amherst and
Nashua, New Hampshire ; Lowell, Massachusetts ; Providence, Rhode
Island ; finally settling permanently in New Bedford where for twenty-
two years he was connected with the Morse Twist Drill and Machine
Company. He married, in Chelmsford, Massachusetts, Amanda M.
Leavitt, born in Kennebec, Maine, August 2, 1841, daughter of William
and Elizabeth Leavitt, of ancient Maine family. Nelson E. and Amanda
M. Jewett were the parents of two sons: William N. and Charles A.,
both born in Providence, Rhode Island.

William N. Jewett, eldest son of Nelson E. and Amanda M.
(Leavitt) Jewett, was born October 29, 1867, and died February 14,
1912. Shortly after 1871 the family moved to New Bedford, where he
completed his studies in the high school with the graduation class
of 1882. He began business life as clerk in the store of Watkins &
Handy, heavy hardware merchants of New Bedford, remained with Mr.
Handy after his purchase of the business, and in 1895 succeeded him as
manager of the business, now known as the Jonathan Handy Company.
He married, in 1893, Edith H., daughter of Captain William Washburn,
of Fairhaven, Massachusetts. His connection with the business in which
he began, a youth of sixteen, continued for the remainder of his life,
a period of thirty years, during which time he rose from the lowest to
the highest position, a record of successful achievement only possible in
a man of high quality and strong character.

Charles A. Jewett, younger son of Nelson E. and Amanda M.
(Leavitt) Jewett, was born in Providence, Rhode Island, July 21, 1871,
but soon afterward his parents moved to New Bedford and here his
life has been spent. After completing grammar school courses he
began his career as a business man in the office employ of the Edmund
Grinnell Foundry. From that time until 191 1 he held positions in the
office and as salesman with Briggs & Laurence, John Hastings, and the
Jonathan Handy Company. His connection with the last named com-
pany, which began in 1895 as bookkeeper, was continued in the selling
department until 191 1, when the death of his brother, William N.,
manager of the company, created a vacancy that Charles A. Jewett was
chosen to fill. Under his management the company has continued its
successful career, the Jewett managerial ability still the potent force
in that success. The company, located at No. 28 William street, deals
in hardware at wholesale and retail ; in iron, steel, blacksmith's supplies,
carriage woodwork, wagon paints, etc., those lines having been the
staples dealt in since the foundation of the business in 1833. Mr. Jewett
is a Republican in politics, a member of the Improved Order of Red


Men, John H. Clifford Camp, Sons of Veterans, and of the Congrega-
tional church.

Mr. Jewett married, in New Bedford, January 28, 1892, Almira A.
Vincent, of that city, born September 14, 1874, daughter of Herbert
and Hannah (Savery) Vincent, her father a machinist. Mr. and Mrs.
Jewett are the parents of six children: i. Millicent A., born August 3,
1895, married Holder B. Tripp, of New Bedford. 2. Doris L., born
April 6. 1897, graduate of New Bedford High School, now stenographer
for her father. 3. Harold N., born March 20, 1899, graduate of Dart-
mouth High School, now a traveling salesman for the Jonathan Handy
Company. 4. Eleanor B., born June 6, 1907. 5. Charles A. (2), born
January 16, 1914. 6. Elizabeth, born February 26, 1916. The family
home is in South Dartmouth, Massachusetts.


When a young man, Mr. Jones came to New Bedford and for a
long term of years was engaged with the Mount Washington Glass
Company, now consolidated with the Pairpont Manufacturing Company,
before coming to the New Bedford Gas and Edison Light Company, of
which he is cashier and chief of the office force. He is a son of
Francis F. Jones, a shoe merchant of Sandwich, Massachusetts, and his
wife, Emily F. (Kern) Jones, who died in 1884.

Charles F. F. Jones was born at Sandwich, Massachusetts, January
20, 1865, and was there educated in the public schools and at Sandwich
Academy. At the age of eighteen he entered the employ of the Boston
& Sandwich Glass Company at their plant at Sandwich, continuing with
them for five years. In 1888 he came to New Bedford, entering the ser-
vice of the Mount Washington Glass Company, of which William J.
Roch was then president, but was succeeded in 1890 by Thomas A.
Tripp. The company were manufacturers of the highest standard glass-
ware, including a line of decorated lamps, vases and beautiful Burmese
ware. Mr. Jones entered the decorative department of the company and
for thirteen years remained there, becoming one of the company's artistic
decorators. In 1901, Mr. Jones left the Glass Company to enter the
employ of the New Bedford Gas and Edison Light Company as clerk.
He has remained continuously with that important corporation until
the present, advancing in rank to his present position, cashier and office
manager, through a series of promotions. He is a Democrat in politics,
a Unitarian in religious faith, belongs to the Stetson Club, and is highly
esteemed by his associates.

Mr. Jones married, in 1888, Sarah L. Chipman, daughter of Major
Charles and Elizabeth (Gibbs) Chipman, of Sandwich, Massachusetts.
They are the parents of a son, Francis F., born in New Bedford, August
13, 1892, now paymaster in the United States Naval Reserve force,
with the rank of ensign. He served in the signal corps of the Second
Brigade, Massachusetts.



As superintendent of the New Bedford Cordage Company, manu-
facturers of manila and sisal cordage and tarred hemp goods. Mr.
Hatch is the operating head of the mill, which for three-quarters of a
century has manufactured cordage, and although the founders have long
since passed away the business they founded and the company they
organized yet remains, the mill still occupying its first site "up on the
hill" and now as then the product is "good rope." In the year the New
Bedford Cordage Company was started there were but few railroads in
the United States ; the telegraph had not yet come into public use ; John
Tyler was the president of the United States, and the Mexican and Civil
wars were yet to be fought.

In 1842 a number of shipowners and captains of vessels in New
Bedford, which was then the centre of the great whaling industry, de-
cided to make rope for use on their own vessels. Their venture was suc-
cessful, and their product soon became so favorably known that other
shipowners were glad to buy their surplus stock. Therefore, on Febru-
ary 2, 1846, the New Bedford Cordage Company was incorporated under
the laws of the State of Massachusetts "for the purpose of manufactur-
ing cordage in the town of New Bedford." There still remain as stock-
holders of the company descendants of the officers who were elected at
the first meeting of the corporation on April 2, 1846.

To this company came Franklin W. Hatch, November i, 1907, as
master mechanic, his promotion to superintendent coming in 1913 upon
the death of Marshall F. Lewis. He had been connected with the Plym-
outh Cordage Company for many years and was thoroughly equipped for
the position he fills. Although intensely practical and his own provider
from boyhood, he has a decided musical talent and all through the years
has kept up his music, playing the cornet in orchestra and band. In fact
music is his recreation and one of the great pleasures of his life. He is a
son of Charles W. and Almeda Hatch, the latter deceased, the former
residing in New Bedford employed in the plant of the New Bedford
Cordage Company.

Franklin W. Hatch was born in Marshfield, Massachusetts, Febru-
ary 13. 1879, but when he was quite young his parents moved to Kings-
ton. Massachusetts, where he attended the grade and high schools until
fourteen years of age, then against the wishes of his parents he left school
to become a clerk in the post office at North Plymouth, Massachusetts.
He only remained in the post office a few months, then left to enter the
employ of Cobb & Drews Tack Works, at Kingston, his duty to attend
one of the tack feeding machines. He continued at the tack works until
seventeen years of age, and also began the study of the cornet. He next
went with the Plymouth Cordage Company, of North Plymouth, Massa-
chusetts, as machinist's apprentice, remaining in that employ for twelve
years, rising to the position of foreman of the machine shop. He also


kept up his music, was a member of orchestra and band, being the cornet
soloist of the band. For one year after leaving the cordage company,
Mr. Hatch gave himself wholly to his music, then on November i, 1907,
came to New Bedford.

His first position in New Bedford was as master mechanic with the
New Bedford Cordage Company. Eighteen months later he was made
assistant superintendent, and in December, 1913, succeeded Marshall F.
Lewis as superintendent and mill manager. He is thoroughly furnished
with the technical knowledge for the position he fills, and by disposition
is eminently fitted for managerial station. His religion is the "Golden
Rule" and its spirit is carried out in all his dealings with his fellow-men.
Kindly, courteous and considerate, he holds the respect and confidence
of all those with whom he comes in contact.

Mr. Hatch is a member of the Masonic order, belonging to Star in
the East Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons ; Adoniram Chapter, Royal
Arch Masons ; New Bedford Council, Royal and Select Masters ; Sutton
Commandery, Knights Templar, Adams Lodge, Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, Kingston, Massachusetts. He was for several years a
member of the Trinitarian Church quartette, playing the cornet. He
enjoys automobiling and travel, but takes all his pleasures rationally,
giving preference to music.

Mr. Hatch married in Kingston, Massachusetts, Flora A. Tatlow,
born in Nottingham, England, daughter of Arthur E. and Annie Tatlow,
who came to the United States when their daughter was eight years of
age. Arthur E. Tatlow is now engaged in the real estate business at
Onset, Massachusetts.


Sherrard Clemens was born at Riverview, near Wheeling, Virginia,
February 3, 1862. He is a son of the Hon. Sherrard Clemens, Demo-
cratic member of Congress from the Tenth District of Virginia. His
mother's maiden name was Catherine Elizabeth Dawson, of Madison
Parish, Louisiana. Mr. Clemens' father, while a Democrat, was a Union
man and against secession. On January 22, 1861, he made a strong
speech in the House of Representatives on the state of the Union. He
was a lawyer by profession and attended Washington College in Penn-
sylvania and West Point Military Academy. He was at West Point at
the same time as General U. S. Grant. Just before the outbreak of the
Civil War, he fought a duel with O. Jennings Wise, editor of the "Rich-
mond Inquiry," from which he received a wound which left him a cripple
for life and which finally compelled his withdrawing from politics as well
as the practice of law. This unfortunate circumstance, together with
conditions existing after the Civil War and the formation of the new
State, West Virginia, brought about the removal of the family from the


home at Wheeling, West Virginia, to Louisiana. Sherrard Clemens, 2d.,
on account of his father's health, practically became their main support.

He commenced his career upon a plantation in Louisiana, without
resources and only such educational advantages as he was able to obtain
in the public schools. He remained in Louisiana three years, then, on
account of ill health, went to the northwest, remaining there until 1885,
at which time he returned south and entered the cotton business at
Yazoo City, Mississippi, working his way up through all the branches of
the business as classer, buyer and manager for various cotton firms doing
both domestic and foreign business. He was sent to New Bedford, Mas-
sachusetts, in 1914 as manager of Stewart Brothers Cotton Company's
eastern business, office at No. 71 William street. Mr. Clemens is a char-
ter member of Lodge No. 14S, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks,
also a member of the Wamsutta Club, New Bedford Yacht Club, Board
of Trade and Protestant Episcopal Church, and in politics is a Demo-

He married, in Vicksburg, Mississippi, March 6, 1900, Birdie Gallo-
way Hilliard, daughter of Frank P. and Hattie Elizabeth (Dyer) Hilli-
ard. Mr. and Mrs. Clemens are the parents of Sherrard Clemens, 3rd.,
born February 15, 1901, and Hilliard Dawson Clemens, born Ma}- 23,
IQ03. The family home is at No. 241 Hawthorne street. New Bedford,


In 1906 Mr. Jenckes came to New Bedford as superintendent of the
Nonquitt Spinning Company, a corporation operating two mills and em-
ploying one thousand and three hundred hands in the manufacture of
combed cotton yarns. From the age of eleven years he has been a
worker, although until the age of fourteen only his vacations from school
were devoted to wage-earning. But at the age of fourteen his school
days ended and he entered the ranks in which he has since marched,
coming up from the rear and in the constantly advancing rank until
reaching his present high position at the age of thirty-one years, a posi-
tion he has filled for the past eleven years. He is a son of Andrew N.

Online LibraryZeph. W. (Zephaniah Walter) PeaseHistory of New Bedford (Volume III) → online text (page 3 of 33)