Zeph. W. (Zephaniah Walter) Pease.

History of New Bedford (Volume III) online

. (page 8 of 33)
Online LibraryZeph. W. (Zephaniah Walter) PeaseHistory of New Bedford (Volume III) → online text (page 8 of 33)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


uncle, John Kilburn, of Lowell, was also identified with the manufacture
of cotton.

After leaving the high school at Rockport, Massachusetts, where he
attended the public schools, Mr. Holmes started upon his textile career
at the Potomska mills in New Bedford, where he remained three and one-
half years. Then he went to the Lawrence Manufacturing Company of
Lowell, of which his uncle, John Kilburn, was agent, and spent three
years in the machine shop, eighteen months in the draughting room, and
a year as assistant overseer in the carding room. From Lowell he went
to Manchester, New Hampshire, where he was assistant overseer in the
carding room of the JefTerson mill, a part of the great plant of the Amos-
keag Manufacturing Company. He remained three and one-half years
in Manchester, when he went to Clinton, Massachusetts, as overseer of
the carding room of the Lancaster mill, holding that position for three
years.. Then Mr. Holmes returned to New Bedford to take a position as
overseer of card'ng in Mills Nos. i, 2 and 3 of the Wamsutta plant. After
two years in this position he was appointed superintendent of the Wam-
sutta Mills, a position he held for eighteen months. From the Wamsutta
Mills, Mr. Holmes went to the Manchaug Mills at Manchaug, Massachu-
setts, as superintendent, then to the Natick Mills at Natick, Rhode Island,
in a similar position, both mills being owned and controlled by B. B. and
R. Knight. Mr. Holmes was in the employ of the Knights for four and
one-half years.

And then, in 1903, at the age of thirty-nine, after this long and suc-
cessful experience on the manufacturing side, Mr. Holmes commenced
his career as a manager of great enterprises. He came to New Bedford
as agent of the first Manomet mill, having the responsibility for the build-
ing and equipping of that plant. A second mill was added, and Mr.
Holmes acted as agent for both until May, 1909. Mr. Holmes in the lat-
ter year organized the Holmes Manufacturing Company, with a capital
of $1,200,000. The mill was built on Clark's Point, on the river front, for
the manufacture of fine combed yarns, gassed, mercerized, bleached and
dyed. The mill employs twelve hundred hands. Mr. Holmes is agent
and treasurer of the mill, and it has paid handsome dividends from the
beginning, paying in 1916 the highest dividend rate of any cotton manu-
facturing corporation in New Bedford, with one exception. Mr. Holmes's
success with this enterprise was so striking that when the Gosnold mills
passed into the hands of Boston capitalists in 1916, Mr. Holmes was



362 NEW BEDFORD

asked to become treasurer and agent of that company, capitalized at
$1,650,000 and operating two mills engaged in manufacturing fine cotton
goods, plain and fancies, jacquards, silk and cotton mixtures.

As the guiding genius of these enterprises, Mr. Holmes might seem
to be well occupied, but he has found opportunity to take active part in
various public-spirited activities, such as the reorganization of the Board
of Commerce, and many of the fund-raising movements for promoting
the comfort and welfare of the young men in the army. Mr. Holmes is
a director of the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company of
Springfield, the Manufacturers Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Prov-
idence, director of the First National Bank of New Bedford, trustee of
the New Bedford Institution for Savings, director of the Morris Plan
Bank, trustee and member of the executive committee of the New Bed-
ford Textile School, trustee of Friends' Academy, trustee of the Free
Public Library, director of the Board of Commerce, member of Washing-
ton Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Manchester, New Hampshire;
the Royal Arch Masons of Phoenix, Rhode Island ; Sutton Commandery,
Knights Templar, of New Bedford ; Aleppo Temple, Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine, Boston. His clubs are the Wamsutta and Country Club
of New Bedford ; the Country Club of Rockport, Massachusetts ; the Tex-
tile Club and the Southern New England Club. He is a member of the
National Manufacturers Association, and a vestryman of the Grace Epis-
copal Church of New Bedford. Mr. Holmes is a Republican in politics.

Mr. Holmes married, June 30, 1891, Miss Alice Parker, daughter of
the late Frederick and .\ugusta (Tripp) Parker. They have three sons:
I. Harold Denison Holmes, born December 12, 1893; two years in New
Bedford High School, graduate of Phillips Exeter Academy, Harvard
University, Bachelor of Arts, class of 1916; assistant superintendent of
the Holmes Mill ; now second lieutenant. United States Regulars. Bureau
of Ordnance, stationed in Washington, D. C. 2. Charles Parker Holmes,
born January 16, 1899; graduate of Friends' Academy, New Bedford, and
Phillips Exeter Academy : now a student at Harvard University, class
of 1918. 3. Standish Whitman Holmes, born April 11, 1906, now attend-
ing Friends' Academy.

Denison B. Holmes, the father of Charles M. Holmes, was the only
child of Daniel B. Holmes, a soldier in the War of 1812, whose source of
livelihood was farming. He was born in North Stonington, Connecti-
cut, June 9, 181 5, and died at Manchester, New Hampshire, March 14,
1889. He was an engineer, steam and mechanical, and at one time super-
intendent of the mechanical department of the Old Colony railroad, with
headquarters at Fall River. He was connected with the Corliss Steam
Engine Company of Providence, and employed by other large companies
as consulting engineer. He retired from business six years before his
death. He married Catherine Elizabeth Whitman, daughter of William
Whitman, of Centerdale, a cotton manufacturer. She was born at Cen-



NEW BEDFORD 363

terdale, July 15, 1826, and died at Lowell, March 28, 1902. Denison B.
Holmes was a member of the Congregational church, and was a Repub-
lican in politics. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Denison B. Holmes were
Charles Mason Holmes : and Annie Whitman Holmes, born March 8,
1869, who married Elmer D. Robinson, of Cambridge, Massachusetts.



EVERETT B. MacLEOD.



Of Scotch descent. Mr. MacLeod, like most of his race, could not
brook restraint, and when but a lad of thirteen he left his home without
consent and never returned until he was a man in j-ears and stature. But
the desire for change was strong within him, and although he learned a
trade and worked steadily for years he longed for the freedom of a sales-
man's life and several more years were spent "on the road." Finally he
settled in New Bedford, and here won his greatest success as a mer-
chant and man of exemplary life.

Everett B. MacLeod was born in East Providence, Rhode Lsland,
December 5, 1861, and died in New Bedford, Massachusetts, December
30, 1916. Until thirteen years of age he attended public school and re-
sided with his parents, then ran away, walking to Poughkeepsie, New
York. There he found employment, and remained several years, then
returned to Providence. There he foimd employment with the Corliss
Engine Works, his father being also employed there. The young man
learned the machinist's trade, and steadily followed it for five years, then
longing for an out-of-door occupation took an agency for the sale of the
Encyclopedia Brittanica, continuing a successful salesman of the publi-
cation for several years. He then took out a commercial line, and for a
number of years traveled for a credit house, handling different lines, and
continued to master all details of the credit business, proving its desir-
ability as a producer of profits. In 1895 Mr. MacLeod resigned his posi-
tion, located in New Bedford, and in a small store on Purchase street
started a retail clothing store on the credit plan. His venture proved a suc-
cess and he enlarged several times, finally purchasing the entire block at
the corner of Elm and Purchase streets, which has ever since been known
as the MacLeod Building. Later he opened a credit furniture store on
South Water street. The W^ard Six Furniture Company, a business he
closed out in 1914. He invested largely in New Bedford real estate from
the profits of his business, choosing his investments wisely and increas-
ing his profits. He was interested in all that promised better things for
New Bedford, and although he never took an active part in politics was
intensely interested in citv affairs. He continued active in business until
his death in 1916, the clothing business he had built up then passing by
purchase to Arthur S. Ashley, an old employee, who yet continues it as
the MacLeod Credit Company. Mr. MacLeod was an eminent member
of the Masonic order, holding the thirty-third degree. Ancient Ac-



364 NEW BEDFORD

cepted Scottish Rite, and was affiliated with Eureka Lodge, Free and
Accepted Masons, and his widow is now a member of the Order of the
Eastern Star. He was also a companion of the Royal Arch Masons, a
Knights Templar and an Elk. His club was the Wamsutta.

On November 30, 1908, at New Bedford, Mr. MacLeod married
Elizabeth M. Layton, daughter of Captain John S. and Agnes M. (Cong-
don) Lay ton, her father a famous master of whalers, he commanding
many of New Bedford's noted ships, Mr. and Mrs. MacLeod were the
parents of three sons : Donald, Norman, and Robert, all residing with
their widowed mother at the family home, No. 52 Rotch street. New Bed-
ford.



JOHN T. CHAMPION.

The first twenty-three years of the life of John T. Champion were
spent on his native Prince Edward Island and there he learned the trade
of tailor, which he has so successfully followed in New Bedford, being
sole proprietor of the business of A. M. Bush & Company, No. 47 William
street. He has succeeded in his enterprises and has built up along
with his business a reputation for integrity and honorable dealing. He
is a son of John B. and Isabelle Champion, both deceased, his father a
farmer.

John T. Champion was born on Prince Edward Island, Canada,
September 14, 1864, and there he was educated, learned his trade and
lived until 1S87. In that year he came to the United States, locating
in New Bedford where he was employed at the Wamsutta Mills for six
weeks, and by the Street Car Company for one year as a conductor. He
then began working at his trade of tailor, being hired for four months
by B. Frank Taylor. In 1884 he entered the employ of A. M. Bush,
tailor, whose store was then at the same location as Mr. Champion now
occupies. He began as press man and for three years was so engaged,
then being made shop foreman. For eleven years he was engaged by
Mr. Bush on salary, then was admitted to a partnership, purchasing a
one-half interest with his savings. The firm name then became A. M.
Bush & Company, and for about thirteen years the partnership con-
tinued, Mr. Champion then purchasing the half interest owned by Mr.
Bush and becoming sole proprietor. The business is a large and a
prosperous one and conducted on modern business lines. Delivery is
made by automobile, that mode supplanting the horse and wagon, which
supplanted the hired horse, which supplanted the bicycle, which suc-
ceeded the arm delivery of the early days. In January, 1902, Mr. Cham-
pion completed a course of instruction at Mitchell's Cutting School in
New York City, graduating as a ladies' tailor and receiving a diploma.
Upon coming into full ownership, he built a concrete cleaning building
upon the rear of his home lot which the State inspector declared was
perfection ; cleanliness and sanitation are closely observed in all depart-



NEW BEDFORD 365

merits of the business, and in all respects A. M. Bush & Company is a
model, modern cleaning and pressing establishment, reflecting the views
and principles of its owner. The business has been built up in honor
and the store motto is "Good service."

Under Mayor Thompson's administration, Mr. Champion was chair-
man of the board of overseers of the poor appointed for a three years'
term, but at the end of seven months he resigned. He is a member of
the First Church of Christ (Scientist), the Home Club, and in political
faith is a Republican.

Mr. Champion married (first) Luella J. Mackay. born on Prince
Edward Island, in 1875, •^'^'^ ''i New Bedford, Massachusetts, 1895,
leaving a son, John M. Champion, born in 1890, now sergeant in Com-
pany E, Three Hundred and Second Infantry, at Camp Devan. Mr.
Champion married (second) in 1897, Mary W. Greer, and they are the
parents of a daughter, Millicent L. Champion, now her father's office
assistant, and student of music. The family home is at No. 85 Rotch
street, where Mr. Champion is found in his hours of? duty, a small
poultry farm his chief recreation. Mr. Champion entered two birds in
the Quannapowett poultry show at Wakefield, Massachusetts, and won
eight first ribbons, automatic feeder, $15 in cash and a silver cup. One
cockerel, "General Pershing," won first prize for best cockerel, first
best color, first best shape, first best white leghorn male in the show.
One S. C. white leghorn pullet, "Lady Byng," won first best pullet, first
best shape, first best color, first best female leghorn in the show. One
of the greatest known records for two single birds at any show.



OVIDE TOUSSAINT CHARRON, M. D.

Three generations ago a de Charron came to St. Dennis, Province
of Quebec, Canada, and there Dr. Charron, of New Bedford, was born,
not far from the first location chosen by his ancestor as their first home
in the New World. Dr. Charron is a grandson of Ignace Charron, and a
son of Philias and Albina (Phaneuf ) Charron, of St. Dennis, Canada, now
living in New Bedford, the father formerly a farmer, and later engaged
as a baker.

Dr. Ovide Toussaint Charron was born in St. Dennis, St. Hyacinthe,
Quebec, Canada, July 12, 1882. His early education was followed by
preparatory college study and courses at St. Francis Xavier College in
St. Dennis. He continued a student at St. Francis Xavier's until his
parents decided to come to the United States, then all came, and a home
was made in New Bedford, Massachusetts. The boy was ambitious,
energetic, and self-reliant, not afraid of responsibility or hard work. This
is amply evidenced by the fact that at the age of eighteen he was con-
ducting his own grocery store and did it very successfully for five years.
Deciding upon a profession, he chose medicine, and after courses at the



366 NEW BEDFORD

College of Physicians and Surgeons in Boston, and a year's special course
at Laval University, Montreal, Canada, he was awarded his degree of
Doctor of Medicine by the College of Physicians and Surgeons, class of
1912. After graduation he located in New Bedford, at No. 9 West
French avenue, and there practiced very successfully for three years.
In 191 5 he erected the hospital on Cove street, which bears his name.
In 191 7 Dr. Charron was appointed city physician, is examining physi-
cian to the Government Exemption Board, which, all during the summer
and fall of 1917, sat to examine and pass upon the fitness of those chosen
in selective draft to serve their country in the war between the United
States and Germany. He is also physician to the Francs Tireurs, of
which he is a member ; is a member of the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks ; Loyal Order of Moose ; Catholic Mutual Benefit Associa-
tion ; Federation Franco-American Fraternal League ; the New Bedford
Board of Trade ; French Chamber of Commerce ; and is a communicant
of the Roman Catholic church. Dr. Charron married, in New Bedford,
February 8, 1904, Octavie LeClere.



CLIFFORD M. FARMER.



In the year 1889, Mr. Farmer, then a young man of twenty, entered
the employ of the New Bedford Gas and Edison Light Company, going
into the electrical department. Twenty-eight years have since elapsed,
and he has never severed his connection with either company or depart-
ment, but has faithfully developed his own powers with the expansion
of the company and is power engineer and chief electrician of the com-
pany's power and lighting departments. The obtaining of power for the
company's generating plant comes under the management of Mr. Farmer
as chief electrician. He is devoted to the duties of his position, his
mechanically inclined mind delighting in its problems and intricacies.
He is a son of Charles and Emily A. (Myrick) Farmer, his parents both
deceased.

Clifford M. Farmer was born in Myrick's, Massachusetts, July 7,
1869, and there completed grammar school courses. He then entered
Bristol Academy in Taunton, completing study there in 1888. He began
business life as an employee of the King Manufacturing Company of
New Bedford, remaining there about eight months, before going to the
Morse Twist Drill Company as a straightener. He spent about a year
with that company, leaving in the latter part of 1889 to enter the service
of the New Bedford Gas and Edison Light Company, then a very small
company in comparison with the company of to-day. Now chief elec-
trician he reviews his more than a quarter of a century of association
with the company with the satisfaction which every man is entitled to
feel over duty well performed. He can trace his own progress in mak-
ing, harnessing and controlling the greatest of all forces, electricity, by





^>«-#»-^ g-*_



NEW BEDFORD 367

the demand made upon the company for that force, and he is gratified to
have been a factor in the great scheme development which, with the
great New Bedford Power Company to draw upon for supply, has
worked such wonders in Southeastern Massachusetts. It is in a way an
empire building the work such men are doing, for a new industry created
or an old one strengthened is just that much done toward making a bet-
ter, greater and grander United States of America.

Mr. Farmer is a Republican in politics, attends the Congregational
church, is a member of Eureka Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons ;
Vesta Lodge. Independent Order of Odd Fellows; New Bedford Yacht
Club ; the Stetson Yacht Club, and Masonic Club, and has many friends,
both within and without these organizations. He is a man of energy
and force, but genial, courteous and considerate to all.

Mr. Farmer married, in 1914, Ethel De Moranville, of New Bedford,
daughter of Herbert and Thankful E. (Luce) De Moranville.



EUGENE G. GUILBERT.



The career of Mr. Guilbert has been one of constant progress since
he first came to New Bedford and reflects the greatest credit upon him.
Beginning as an inexperienced clerk in a drug store, he there prepared
himself to pass the required examination to enable him to register as a
pharmacist, then became a partner and finally sole owner of the drug
store. No. 757 Brock avenue, accomplishing all this since his coming to
New Bedford in 1907, without knowledge of the English language and
without capital. His first partnership with Alexander A. Petit he financed
with capital he had saved during his six years clerkship with Mr. Petit,
and with the profits of the partnership he purchased the Petit interest in
the Brock avenue drug store of which Mr. Guilbert is sole owner. This
achievement of ten years stamps Mr. Guilbert as a young man of high
purpose and determined character and argues strongly in favor of a
successful future.

Eugene G. Guilbert was born in St. Dominique, Province of Quebec,
Canada, December 23, 1886. He was educated in St. Dominique's paro-
chial school, St. Hyacinthe Seminary and Sacred Heart Business College,
completing the last named course with graduation in 1907. His studies
had all been in the French language, and when in 1907 he came to New
Bedford his first task was learning English. He obtained a position
with Alexander A. Petit in Petit's Pharmacy and there he worked and
studied, improving every waking hour for a term of four years. At the
end of that period he had so perfected himself in his studies in English
and pharmacy that he successfully passed the State Board of Pharmacy
and became a duly qualified registered pharmacist, his authority bearing
date of February 15, 191 1. He remained with Mr. Petit in this higher
capacity about two years, then went out of the drug store to one at



368 NEW BEDFORD

Xo. 757 Brock avenue, which wa? opened October 2^. 1913. He opened
the new store as a partner, not a clerk, and until February, 1917, he was
associated in its ownership with Mr. Petit. On that date he bought the
entire business, and is now conducting it with a good degree of success.
His success has been earned, and none who know him but agree that he
richly deserves all that has come to him in return tor his well directed,
intelligent labor. Mr. Guilbert is a member of the Francs-Tireurs,
Franco-American Federation, and to the National Association of Retail
Druggists.

Mr. Guilbert married, in Salem, Massachusetts, June 30, 1913, Emma
Michaud : they are the parents of Arthur, Genevieve. Louis, Joseph and
Josephine Petit Guilbert.



ANDREW J. W. McAVOY.

Entering the postal ser\-ice at the age of eighteen. Mr. McAvoy as
clerk, carrier and assistant postmaster reviews a connection of more than
twenty-seven years with the New Bedford post office, his service begin-
ning when the post office was located in the United States Custom House
building, continuing through the occupancy of the specially constructed
post office building on the southeast comer of Acushnet avenue and Wil-
liam street, 1S93-1915, and the period spent in the present building, com-
pleted in 1915. This long period of service lends dignity to the position
which he now holds, assistant postmaster, a position won through effi-
iency and reliability and held under two postmasters. He is ver>- popular
with the post office force, clerical and carrier, and holds the confidence
and esteem of the department.

He is a son of James Mc^voy. bom in Ireland, who in 1S50 came to
the United States, settling in Connecticut. He enlisted in Company C,
First Regiment Connecticut Cavalr\% served through the Ci\-il War, and
after the war came to Massachusetts and New Bedford, where he was an
overseer of weaving in cotton mills, and died in 1910. His wife. Ellen C.
McAvoy, died the same year.

Andrew J. W. Mc-\voy. son of James and Ellen C. McAvoy, was
bom in Uxbridge. Massachusetts, March 21, 1S71, but later his parents
moved to New Bedford, where he was educated, being a graduate of St.
Joseph's High School, class of 1S8S. .\fter a short period as dry goods
clerk, he entered government employ as clerk in the post office at New
Bedford, resigning after two years' service, bat reniming a year later.
On his return he entered a different branch of the ser\-ice. going on as
substitute carrier. In eighteen months he was appointed regular carrier,
a position he filled twelve years, making a host of friends over the routes
he served who parted from him with regret. He was tranferred to the
clerical department in 1905. served as record clerk until 191 1, and in that
year was promoted to assistant postmaster under Postmaster Frank C.
Barrows, and continues under the present postmaster.



NEW BEDFORD 369

Mr. McAvoy is a Republican in politics, a member of St. Lawrence
Church, Roman Catholic, the National Association of Letter Carriers,
past deputy grand knight and ex-treasurer of the Knights of Columbus ;
vice-president one year, president a short time and a director three years
of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, New Bedford Aerie, No. 647; member
and ex-trustee of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, New
Bedford Lodge, No. Ti- M''- McAvoy is unmarried.



JOHN HALLIWELL.

On coming to years of responsibility, John Halliwell embraced the
cause of labor, and as the champion of the class with which he is proud
to number himself he serves them in the forum in the labor unions and
in legislative halls, being now representative from the Eighth Bristol
Legislative District. He is of English birth and parentage, son of
Thomas Halliwell, a tailor of Lancashire, England. Thomas Halliwell,
born in 1842, died in 1871, lived in Mossley and Ashton-Under-Lyne, but
when his son was seven years of age the father died, and at eight the lad's
school days were reduced one-half and at twelve ended entirely. With
this start in life, he has overcome all obstacles which would daunt and
discourage most men, and now stands upon a level with those who are
striving honorably and lawfully to legislate in such a manner that justice
toward all may be the theme of all law.

John Halliwell was born in Mossley, Lancashire, England, February
21, 1864. and there and at Ashton resided until his nineteenth year. He
began working half-time in a cotton mill when eight years of age as a
"back boy," and at the age of twelve was put on as a "full time" worker
and for seven years more worked in English mills. In 1883 he came to



Online LibraryZeph. W. (Zephaniah Walter) PeaseHistory of New Bedford (Volume III) → online text (page 8 of 33)