called "coal hods." The hat was of black leather closely fitting the crown
of the head and rose in the form of an inverted bell, finished with a
square flat top. From this floated a tall plume of white and red feathers,
a braided loop of white cording ; from the sides across the front and over
the silver-plated visor was a fluted metal plate, called the ray, with a
gold spread eagle, both brilliantly polished. This hat was only worn on
festive occasions and public parades, on which occasions the Guards also
wore trousers of white instead of blue.
The Guards first paraded in public on April 27, 1841, performing
escort duty in the commemoration exercises held in memory of President
Harrison. Their next public appearance was at the funeral of one of
their own members. John Howland Allen, held in the Methodist Epis-
copal church on Fourth street, May 27, 1841. Lieutenant James B.
Congdon resigned from the company July 29, 1841, in deference to the
principles of the Society of Friends, of which he was a birthright mem-
be'r. The career of the Guards was marked by a long series of social
NEW BEDFORD 185
events at home and in other communities, they being entertained and
entertaining in return the Providence Light Infantry, the Cohannet Rifle
Company, and the Norfolk Guards of Roxbury ; visited Nantucket ;
joined with other military companies in the celebration attending the
dedication of Bunker Hill monument in Boston, June 17, 1843, ^'^<^ lis-
tened to the wonderful oration delivered by Daniel Webster ; entertained
the Boston Light Infantry, who held a three days' encampment in the
town, beginning August 2, 1843; acted as escort to the Governor at the
annual encampment at South Bridgewater, September 25, 1843; began
a three days' encampment at Providence, Rhode Island, August 22, 1844,
were royally entertained and royally welcomed home ; received the
Union Rifle Company of New York City, July 2, 1846; and each year of
their existence held an annual "target shoot" and were a feature in all
Independence Day parades and patriotic celebrations. In fact, their
treasury was often replenished by assessments upon the private purses
of the members, the round of joyousness pursued meaning heavy ex-
penses. After a severe financial loss in 1847, through the failure of an
excursion of the Guards to Edgarton, their spirit seemed broken and in
1848 committees were appointed to wind up affairs. Weekly drills and
business meetings were held until June, 1847, when the New Bedford
Guards, who by their discipline, soldierly deportment, numerical strength
and martial bearing had won the highest praise from the military author-
ities of the State, ceased to exist.
In 1846 the committee appointed by the annual town meeting to
suppress the liquor traffic was instructed to call upon every family in
town and ascertain their position on the temperance question and whether
they would sign a total abstinence pledge.
In the year 1847, ^t a special town meeting held January 23, the
question of a city charter was referred to a committee of twenty citizens :
J. H. W. Page, George Rowland, Jr., Sampson Perkins, John Baylies,
Horatio A. Kempton, Thomas Mandell, George Hussey, Henry H. Crapo,
Abraham Barker, John H. Gifford, William H. Taylor, Henry Taber,
James H. Collins, Edward W. Green, I. D. Hall, G. M. Robinson, Ward
M. Parker, Thomas A. Greene, Ephraim Kempton, Seth Russell. The
committee reported a form of charter to a meeting held February 6, sev-
eral amendments being made by the meeting. A warm discussion fol-
lowed, but finally the committee was instructed to petition the General
Court for an act granting New Bedford a city charter. Another town
meeting was held March 8 to further consider the subject, but adjourned
without action. On March 18. 1847, an election was held upon the
acceptance of an "Act to Establish the City of New Bedford," the vote
resulting: For, 1,150; against, 814.
Among the deaths occurring in this period (1840-1847) were the
i86 NEW BEDFORD
William Hovvland, Way 4, 1840, aged 84.
Nathaniel Rogers, November 31, 1840, aged 56.
Captain Joseph Dunbar, July 20, 1841, aged 54.
Weston Howland, August 6, 1841, aged 78.
Joseph Ricketson, October 9, 1841, aged 71 ; cashier of the New Bed-
ford Commercial Bank, a man of unblemished character and great use-
John Hathaway, January 16, 1842, aged 87; a pensioner of the Revo-
lution and the oldest citizen at the time of his death.
Thurston Potter, June 16, 1844, aged 86.
Elihu Russell, July 24, 1844, aged 80.
Deacon James Tripp, August 8, 1844, aged 65 ; one of the original
members of William Street Baptist Church.
Benjamin Drew, March 18, 1847, aged 80; a soldier of the Revolu-
Captain Stephen Merrihew, June 15, 1847; a prominent and highly
respected citizen of the town.
In the following list is preserved the names of the selectmen of the
town of Dartmouth from 1682 until the setting off of New Bedford in
1787, and from that year until the city of New Bedford was incorporated
in 1847. The original spelling of the records is preserved :
1682-83-84 â John Rusel, Arthur Hathaway, John Cooke.
1685 â Seth Pope, Jonathan Russell, Thomas Taber.
1686-87 â Joseph Tripp, Seth Pope, Jonathan Delino.
1688 â Abraham Tucker, James Tripp.
1689 â Seth Pope, Jonathan Delino, James Sison.
1692 â Thomas Taber, Joseph Tripp, Thomas Brigs.
1693 â Thomas Taber, John Akin, George Cadmus.
1694 â Thomas Taber, Abraham Tucker, George Cadmus.
1695 â Jonathan Delino, Recompense Kirby, William Soal.
1696 â Jonathan Delino, Abraham Tucker, George Cadman.
1697 â George Soul, Isaac Pope, Benjamin Howland.
1698 â George Cadman, John Tucker, Jonathan Dilinay.
1699 â Thomas Taber, Nathaniel Howland, Joseph Tripp.
1700 â Eliezer Smith, Thomas Hadaway, Thomas Rogers.
1701-02 â Joseph Tripp, William Soul, James Samson.
1703-04 â Jonathan Delano, John Tucker, Philip Taber.
1705 â William Spooner, Thomas Getchel, Joseph Hix.
1706 â Joseph Tripp, Dilliverance Smith.
1708 â Josej)h Tripp, Deliverance Smith, Thomas Taber, Jr.
1710 â Joseph Tripp, Deliverance Smith, John Aken.
1711-12 â John Russell, John Taber, John Tripp.
1713-14 â John Tripp, John Taber, Gersham Smith.
1716 â Phillip Taber, John Akin, John Taber.
1717 â Deliverance Smith, Thomas Taber, Jr., George Lawton.
1718 â Jonathan Deleno, Nathaniel Soule, John Tripp.
1719-20-21-22â John Akin, Phillip Taber, Thomas Taber, Jr.
1723 â John Akin, Berriah Goddard, Jacob Taber.
1725-26 â John Akin, Philip Taber, Jacob Taber.
1727 â Berriah Goddard, Isaac Howland, Jacob Taber.
NEW BEDFORD 187
1728-29 â Berriah Goddard, Henry Howland, Stephen West, Jr.
1730 â Jacob Taber, Timothy Shearman, Isaac Wood (elected but re-
fused) ; John Tripp, Beriah Goddard, James Howland, Stephen West, Jr.
1731 â James Howland, Stephen West, Jr., John Tripp.
1732 â Stephen West, Jr., James Howland, John Tripp.
1733 â John Tripp, James Howland, Benjamin Allen.
1734 â Jacob Taber, John Tripp, John Akin.
1735 â John Tripp, Joseph Tucker, Benjamin Allen.
1736 â Benjamin Allen, Joseph Tucker, Isaac Wood.
1737 â John Tripp, Holden Slocum, Benjamin Allen.
1738 â Nathaniel Soul, Holden Slocum, Benjamin Allen.
1739 â Benjamin Allen, Holden Slocum, Nathaniel Soul.
1740 â Captain Samuel Willis, James Allen, Jonathan Sisson.
1741 â lohn Tripp, Humphry Smith, Stephen West.
1742 â John Tripp, Humphry Smith, Stephen West, Jr.
1743 â Jedediah Wood, Jonathan Taber, Humphry Smith.
1744 â Moses Mendal. Humphry Smith, James Tripp.
174:^ â Jedediah Wood, Humphry Smith, Moses Mendal.
1746 â Humphry Smith, Jedediah Wood, Jonathan Taber.
1747 â Humphry Smith, John Soul, Jonathan Taber.
1748â Captain Lemuel Pope, Humphry Smith, Jedediah Wood.
1749 â John Wing, Jedediah Wood, Richard Pierce. (Jedediah Wood
refusing, Peleg Hudelstone was chosen).
1750 â Humphry Smith, Jedediah Wood, Thomas Hathaway.
1751â John Shepherd, Jirah Swift, Jedediah Wood.
1752â Captain Nathaniel Sole, Peleg Smith, Jirah Swift.
i753_Peleg Smith, Jirah Swift, Captain Nathaniel Sole.
1754 â Richard Cornal, William Hart, James Hathaway.
1755-56 â Jireh Swift, John Soule, Benjamin Akin.
i757_jethro Hathaway, Christopher Cadman, Holden Slocum.
i758_Humphry Smith, Jireh Swift, Christopher Cadman.
1 75C)-6oâ Humphry Smith, Walter Spooner, Christopher Cadman.
1761-62-63-64 â Humphry Smith, Walter Spooner, Ezekiel Cornell.
1765â Humphry Smith, Walter Spooner, Daniel Wood.
1766-67-68-69 â Walter Spooner, Daniel Wood, Giles Slocum.
1770-71 â Walter Spooner, Walter Davis, Giles Slocum.
1772 â William Davis, Giles Slocum, Seth Russell.
1773-74-75-76-77â Jabez Barker, Jr., William Davis, William Tall-
man. .,_,..â 11 T
1778 Aulden Spooner, Thomas Kempton, Benjamm Russell, Jr.,
Job Almy. . t-, h t tut ^
i77g_\Villiam Davis. Richard Kirby, Benjamm Russell, Jr., Mele-
tiah Hathaway, Thomas Kempton, Aulden Spooner, Benjamin Church.
1780â Richard Kirby, Benjamin Russell, Alden Spooner, William
Davis, Thomas Kempton, Meletiah Hathaway.
1781â Benjamin Russell, Pardon Cook, William Davis.
1782â Edward Pope, Jabez Barker, Stephen Peckcom.
1783-84-85â Ebenezer Willis, Jabez Barker, Stephen Peckcom.
1786â Ebenezer Willis, Henry Smith, William Almy.
i787_John West, Isaac Pope, William Tallman.
This was the first board of selectmen chosen for the newly erected
town of New Bedford :
i88 NEW BEDFORD
1788-89-90-91-92â Walter Spooner, William Tallman, Stephen Hath-
1793 â William Tallman, Ebenezer Keen, Bartholomew Aikin.
1794-95-96 â Walter Spooner, William Tallman, Isaac Shearman.
1797 â Alden Spooner, William Tallman, Isaac Shearman.
1798-99 â .Alden Spooner, William Tallman, Joseph Bennett.
1800-01 â William Tallman, Alden Spooner, Kelley Eldredge.
1802 â William Tallman, Simpson Hart, Kelley Eldredge.
1S03â Alden Spooner, Cornelius Grinnell, Joseph Bennett.
1804 â Roger Haskell, Bartholomew Aikin, James Taber.
1S05 â Bartholomew Aikin, James Taber, Silas Kempton.
1806 â James Taber, Roger Haskell, Thomas Nye, Jr.
1807-08-09 â Alden Spooner, Roger Haskell, Thomas Nye, Jr.
1810 â Alden Spooner, Roger Haskell, Killey Eldredge.
181 1 â -Alden Spooner, Roger Haskell, Joseph Church.
In 1812 the town of Fairhaven was set off from New Bedford.
1812-13 â Roger Haskell, Samuel Perry, Manasseh Kempton.
1814 â Roger Haskell, Samuel Perry, Captain William Hathaway.
1815 â Samuel Perry, Alannasseh Kempton, Joseph Ricketson.
1816 â Joseph Ricketson, Jonathan Swift, James Howland, Jr.
1817 â James Howland. Jr., \N'illiam Hathaway, Manasseh Kempton.
1818-19 â Manasseh Kempton, William Hathaway, Dudley Daven-
1820 â Roger Haskell. William Hathaway, Eli Haskell.
1821 â Eli Haskell, Gideon Howland, Jr., William Hathaway.
1822 â Eli Haskell, Gideon Howland, Jr., Killey Eldredge.
1823 â William Hathaway, Elkanah Tallman, Ephraim Kempton.
1824 â Ephraim Kempton, William Hathaway, Joseph Bourne.
1825-26-^William Hathaway. Joseph Bourne, Ephraim Kempton.
1827-28 â Joseph Bourne, William Hathaway, Ephraim Kempton.
1829 â Joseph Bourne, William C. Nye, Thomas Mandell.
1830-31 â William C. Nye, Thomas Mandell, Joseph R. Shiverick.
1832 â Alfred Gibbs, Eli Haskell, Ephraim Kempton.
1833 â Charles W. Morgan, James B. Congdon, Samuel Little.
1834 â Charles W. Morgan, James B. Congdon, Thomas Nickerson.
1835 â James B. Congdon, Joseph R. Shiverick, Thomas Nickerson.
1836 â James B. Congdon, Samuel Tobey. E. N. Chaddock.
1837 â James B. Congdon, Thomas B. Bush, Ephraim Kempton.
1838-39 â James B. Congdon, Thomas B. Bush, John P. West.
1840 â James B. Congdon, Ephraim Kempton, John P. West.
1841 â Samson Perkins, Edward W. Greene, Rodney French.
1842-43-44-45 â Ephraim Kempton, James B. Congdon, George How-
1846 â George Howland, Jr., John Baylie, Horatio A. Kempton.
The First Years as a City, 1847- 1860.
The city charter, adopted March 18, 1847, divided the city into six
wards, and on April 28 the city government organized with the follow-
ing officials :
Mayor â Abraham H. Rowland.
Alderman Ward i â John Avery Parker.
Alderman Ward 2 â Thomas B. White.
Alderman Ward 3 â Ivory H. Bartlett.
Alderman Ward 4 â William H. Taylor.
Alderman Ward 5 â James B. Wood.
Alderman Ward 6 â Edward W. Rowland.
Councilmen Ward i â Abraham Gardner,
â Joseph Clarke,
â Clement Covell,
â Jere. Greenman.
Councilmen Ward 2â Perry G. Macomber,
â Isaac M. West,
â Pardon Potter, Jr.,
â Abraham Delano.
Councilmen Ward 3 â Peleg Butts, Jr.,
â Isaac Brownell.
â James Durfee, Jr.,
â Bennett Wilcox.
Councilmen Ward 4 â L. Macomber,
âCaleb L. Ellis,
âWilliam H. Allen,
â Daniel McKenzie.
Councilmen Ward 5 â James B. Congdon,
â Lemuel Kollock,
â Francis Baker,
â Charles R. Tucker.
Councilmen Ward 6 â B. P. Rowland,
' â James L. Pierce, ,
â¢ â Josiah S. Bonney,
â Nathaniel Gilbert.
Overseer of the Poor Ward i â Obed Nye.
Overseer of the Poor Ward 2â Roratio A. Kempton.
Overseer of the Poor Ward 3 â Robert Ingraham.
Overseer of the Poor Ward 4 â William A. Gordon.
Overseer of the Poor Ward 5 â David Brayton.
Overseer of the Poor Ward 6 â Edward W. Rowland.
Assessor Ward i â George A. Bourne.
Assessor Ward 2 â I. M. Richardson.
Assessor Ward 3 â Ichabod Chase.
Assessor Ward 4 â John R. Thornton.
I90 NEW BEDFORD
Assessor Ward 5 â Barnabas S. Perkins.
Assessor Ward 6 â Benjamin R. Sayer.
School Committee Ward i â George A. Bourne,
â Linneas Wood,
âDaniel C. Bent.
School Committee Ward 2 â Sylvester Holmes,
â Horatio A. Kempton,
â Luther G. Hewins.
School Committee Ward 3 â William H. Stowell,
â Thomas Davis,
â William W. Sweet.
School Committee Ward 4 â Rufus Babcock,
â Charles Haffords,
- â Thomas D. Elliot.
School Committee Ward 5 â Thomas A. Greene,
â George Howland, Jr.,
â William Howe.
School Committee Ward 6 â Henry H. Crape,
âWilliam P. Howland,
â Francis Post.
On Wednesday afternoon, April 28, 1847, the inaugural ceremonies
were held in the Common Council chamber. The oath of office was ad-
ministered by Hon. Oliver Prescott, and prayer was ofifered by Rev.
Moses Howe. The newly obligated first mayor of the city, Abraham
H. Howland, delivered a lengthy address in which he referred to New
Bedford as a city of 16,000 population, annually appropriating from
$70,000 to $80,000 for city purposes. At the conclusion of the mayor's
address, James B. Congdon was elected president of the Common Coun-
cil ; Henry H. Crapo, city treasurer and collector; Isaac M. Richardson,
city clerk. The school committee organized by electing Thomas A.
Greene chairman and William Howe secretary. Timothy Ingraham was
chosen the first city marshal, and given two assistant marshals â Shubael
G. Edwards and William O. Russell. Six policemen were appointed :
Thomas Davis, George W. Shearman, Daniel Ripley, Lewis G. Allen,
Marshall B. Bird, Joshua P. Dunbar. Eight watchmen also guarded the
young city : Otis H. Horton, captain ; Calvin Harvey, Ichabod Cogges-
hall, James N. Sampson, Thomas Albert, John C. Banker, John Allen,
The city at this time was enjoying a condition of great prosperity,
due to a large extent to the whaling industry, and the new city entered
upon its career as a municipality under most favorable circumstances.
The establishment of the city charter seemingly gave great satisfaction
to a majority of the people, the prevailing sentiment being voiced in a
strong editorial in the "Mercury," which closed in the following: "Suc-
cess to the city of New Bedford. May she ever be foremost in good
works, ever be eminent as the friend of freedom, liberality, good will.
NEW BEDFORD 191
education and Christianity. To the latest generation may she be a burn-
ing and a shining light. May she be illuminated with the oil of gladness
and blessed with plenty and prosperity.''
The first Independence Day celebration was one of especial interest.
Excursion boats brought 1,700 visitors from Edgarton and Nantucket,
and many hundreds came from surrounding towns. The day was given
over to patriotic rejoicing. The parade, headed by General James D.
Thompson, marshal of the day, was enlivened by the New Bedford
Guards, under Captain Seth Russell, and the Citizens' Band, while in
line were the entire city government, civil officers, lodges of Free Masons,
Odd Fellows, Sons of Temperance, many citizens, and the fire depart-
ments of New Bedford, Fairhaven and Nantucket. An oration was de-
livered by J. A. Kasson, and a grand display of fireworks in the evening
closed the celebration.
On January 10, 1847, the new almshouse on Clark's Point was
opened with public service.
The making of daguerreotypes was begun in the same year in New
Bedford by C. E. Hawes & Brothers, in their rooms in Liberty Hall.
The "Mercury" announced in strong headlines the receipt of news only
"twenty-eight days later from Europe."
The "Dudley Davenport" fire, one of the fiercest ever experienced in
the history of the city, occurred May 18, 1848.
An item of interest not to be overlooked in this early period of city
history is the unusual attention given to the care of the streets. In 1848
there were thirty miles of streets in the settled portion of the city, twenty
miles of which were graded, curbed and flagged. The attention given by
the government to this feature of city improvement has proved an exam-
ple succeeding administrations have found worthy of emulation, and
New Bedford can boast of her well kept streets.
Public sewers were built through portions of Union and Middle
streets in 1852; through School, Kempton and Spring streets in 1853:
William and Maxfield streets in 1854; Hillman and Bush streets in 1855;
Merrimac, Kempton. Bedford, Third and Sycamore streets in 1857.
Father Matthew, the great apostle of temperance, came to the city
in September, 1849, several hundreds signing the total abstinence pledge
as a result of his labors. In 1849 Asiatic cholera claimed several New
Bedford citizens as its prey, but the disease was not epidemic.
Solemn funeral services in memory of President Zachary Taylor
were held Tuesday, August 6, 1850, in the North Christian Church. A
long and representative procession was formed at city hall at midday,
under the direction of General James D. Thompson, with Major George
A. Bourne and Colonel James H. Collins serving as his aides, with the
assistance of Colonel David Baker and twenty-one citizens. The mili-
tary, fire department and Masonic lodges and civil societies joined in the
192 NEW BEDFORD
procession, which moved to the rhythm of slowly tolling bells and the
firing of minute guns.
The Free Public Library, located at 139 Union street, was opened
to the public March 3, 1853. In 1854 the "Point Road" was laid out and
graded to a width of eighty feet. Later the name French avenue was
bestowed in honor of Rodney French, under whose administration as
mayor this pleasure drive was opened to the public.
On the night of October 18, 1854, the fire occurred in Horatio A.
Kempton's lumber yard ; and on the night of November 6 the famous
Liberty Hall building was entirely destroyed. This was one of the his-
toric buildings of New Bedford, and stood on the lot at the corner of
Purchase and William streets, given in 1795 to the First Congregational
Church by William Rotch. A church was built and occupied by the
society until the completion of the stone church at the corner of Eighth
and Union streets, when the building was sold and became Liberty Hall.
It was used for lectures, political meetings and entertainments ; was
enlarged from time to time, and about 1846 stage and scenery rendered
it a favored place of theatrical entertainment. From its stage those great
apostles of freedom, William Lloyd Garrison, Wendell Phillips, Fred-
erick Douglass, Stephen Foster, Thoedore Parker. Parker Pillsbury and
Henry Ward Beecher, thundered forth their anathemas against the slave
trade, and in eloquent periods pleaded the cause of the lowly and the
oppressed. The bell, known as "New Bedford's Liberty Bell," often
rang out its warning to the fugitive slave that danger was nigh. This
bell was bought February 18, 1796, of Captain Silas Jones, of Nantucket,
the purchase price, $255, being raised by subscription. The second
largest subscription of six dollars was made by a colored man, Aaron
Childs ; the largest, ten dollars, by Thomas Pope. In the fire which
ended the career of the old hall, the bell was melted, but the metal was
rescued when the ruins cooled, tea bells and other articles were made
from it, and in many homes are yet preserved as souvenirs of the past.
The old-time "Ark" riots of 1826 and 1829 were paralleled in 1856,
and from a similar cause. For weeks there had been an undercurrent of
dissatisfaction over conditions which had become prevalent on Howland
and South Water streets ; in fact, the eastern section along the river
front was in bad repute. Dance halls, gambling houses, saloons and
hotels abounded ; fights, robberies and every sort of crime prevailed ;
and, finally, conditions reached a climax in murder. There were many
signs prevalent which warned the authorities that mob law was intended,
and the municipal authorities, with Mayor George Howland, Jr., pre-
pared to enforce the observance of the law. But the mob perfected their
plans, and on Saturday night, April 19, 1856, the Howland street riot
occurred. The building at No. 17 was torn down and burned, and when
the fire department arrived they were unable to fight the flames, the
NEW BEDFORD 193
rioters cutting the leading length of hose. The police were helpless and
the City Guards, under Captain Timothy Ingraham, did little effective
work. At midnight the mob dispersed and the riot was over.
The greatest fire in the history of the city began at noon on August
24, 1859, in the engine room of William Wilcox's planing mill, on the
east side of Water street, now the site of the Tillinghast mill. A strong
southeast wind was blowing at the time, and the fire spread rapidly,
leaping across the street along the wharves, and soon shops, factories,
stores, buildings and ships were a mass of flames. Cargoes of oil stored
along the wharves caught fire, and the ship "John and Edward," lying at
the Richmond & Wilcox Wharf, was a mass of flames from deck to
masthead. The oil at this point ran from the wharf to the water and a.
one time a considerable area of the river was literally a sea of fire. By
nightfall the fire had spent its fury and the danger was over. Several
buildings had been blown up by the engineers in order to stop the spread
of the flames. The total destruction of property, according to the books
of the board of engineers, was $254,575, with less than $7,000 insurance.
The sad feature of this fire was that the loss fell principally upon aÂ«class
of industrious, worthy men, many of whom saw the hard earnings of
years swept away in the flames. Some lost not only their business, but
their homes ; yet out of it all came the new era of "better fire protection."
The old "tubs" were relegated to the rear, the steam fire engine came to
the front, and a final result was the present efficient fire department.
During the five years of 1847-1S52, some of the prominent streets of
the city were opened :
1847 â Walden street from Maxfield to Sycamore; Sycamore from
Walden to County; Franklin from Cbunty to Purchase; Orchard from
Hawthorn to Arnold.
1848 â Walnut from Water to the river; Mill from Hill to County;
Arnold from County to Orchard ; Grinnell from County to Bonney
street: Pleasant from Franklin to Pope; Hathaway road from Perry's
Neck road to Smith Mills road ; Nash road from Acushnet avenue to
Perry's Neck road ; School from Seventh to County ; South Second to
Griffin street; Bonney from Allen to Washington; Hillman from North
Second to North Water street.
iS4^_Hillman from Summer to Chestnut; Cedar from North to
Smith ; Elm from Summer to Ash.
1850 â Pope from County to Purchase; Parker from County to wood
land of Dr. A. Reed; Bush from County to Orchard; Summer from
Kempton to Hillman ; Charles from Kempton to County : Ray from Pearl
to County ; Merrimac from Ray to Purchase ; Mill from Cedar to County ;