Copyright
A. D. (Amos Delos) Gridley.

History of the town of Kirkland, New York (Volume 1) online

. (page 14 of 17)
Online LibraryA. D. (Amos Delos) GridleyHistory of the town of Kirkland, New York (Volume 1) → online text (page 14 of 17)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ducted.



180 HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF KIRKLAND.

An express office was opened here in the year 1858,
under the charge of Gen. Samuel Comstock. The busi-
ness at that time was very small, but has since greatly
increased. It is now conducted by the American Ex-
press Company.

In the year 1845 a bank was established in Clinton by
Orrin Gridley, he being its proprietor and president.
It was named the Kirkland Bank. It was reasonably
profitable to its manager, and was in many ways helpful
to the business of the town. On the decease of Mr.
Gridley, in April, 1847, the bank passed into the hands
of his son, Albert G. Gridley^ who conducted it until the
fall of 1854. At this time the bank, not proving suffi-
ciently remunerative, its circulating notes were called in
and its affairs closed.

Subsequently an exchange office was opened by E. S.
Hopkins, and was continued for a year or more.

In 1862 the Lincoln Bank was established, with Wil-
liam H. Marston as president, and Henry M. Burchard
as cashier. It was discontinued in June, 1864.

In January, 1866, a banking house was opened by
George Bissell & Co., in the building formerly occupied
by the Kirkland Bank. Mr. Philip J. Hart was the
cashier. It was closed in August, 1868.

Another banking house was established January 19,
1870, by Messrs. Bunce and Dunbar, in the building al-
ready referred to, on the east side of the park. It is still
in successful operation as a bank of deposit and for the
negotiation of drafts and loans.

The village of Clinton obtained from the Legislature a
charter of incorporation, April 12, 1843. Its charter was
amended and considerably enlarged March 25, 1862 ; and
it was amended a second time April 2, 1866, and a third
time in 1873.



NEWSPAPER ENTERPRISES. 181

The population of the to™ of Kirkland at present
CISTS), is about four thousand and fifty. The popula-
tion of the village of Clinton is eighteen hundred.

On the 10th of July, 1846, the first newspaper was
issued in Clinton, by L. W. Payne, under the ^
Galen H. Osborne, who adopted the name of Chief and
Courier " Mr. Osborne was a spirited editor, but his paper
did not enrich him. In August, 1859 ; M. * *J™£
purchased the paper, and has continued its publication to
L present time" Under Mr. Raymond's management
it has been well conducted; and we are happy to know
that, in connection with the business of job-printing, it
has proved profitable to its proprietor.

^agricultural paper styled « The Northern Farmer
was established here, by T. B. Miner, m the year 1852.



182 HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF KIRKLAXD.

At first it was a monthly of sixteen pages. In 1854 a
forty-eight page edition of " The Farmer" was issued in
connection with the original paper. In January, 1856,
" The Rural American" was added, a weekly quarto of
eight pages. Not long afterwards both editions of " The
Farmer " were dropped, and " The Rural American "
continued in their place. This latter paper was subse-
quently changed into a semi-monthly, and in its new
form attained a marked success. At the close of the
year 1855 it numbered nearly twenty-four thousand sub-
scribers. In the year 1868 the paper was removed to
New Brunswick, New Jersey.

The project of a railroad from Utica to Binghamton 1
through the Oriskany and Chenango valleys, was agitated
at times for many years ; but the first company for that
purpose was organized in 1853. A large amount of stock
was subscribed, the route was surveyed and in some sec-
tions located, and the right of way obtained. In June,
1854, Mr. James Hall, the chief engineer of the company,
prepared and published an extended report, showing
clearly the feasibility and importance of the enterprise.
But the protracted illness of Alfred Munson, Esq., of
Utica, the able and efficient president of the company,
delayed the commencement of the work, and his death
in 1854, led to its abandonment, and the dissolution of
the company.

In 1859 the Legislature of the State passed an act
granting a charter to build a railroad on the berme-bank
of the Chenango Canal ; but as the company was re-
stricted to the use of horse-power, which was not deemed
sufficient for so long a route and so important a work,
the company was never organized.

1 This sketch was prepared by Hon. 0. S. Williams, President of the Utica,
Clinton, and Binghamton Kajlroad.



RAILROAD PROJECTS. 183

In 1862 the railroad project was revived, and in differ-
ent forms was pressed with much energy. The Utica
City Railroad Company was organized, and in 1868 built
a street road from Utica to New Hartford. In 1861 the
charter of this company was enlarged, the route extended,
and the steam-road from New Hartford to Clinton was
built, and trains commenced running upon it in Septem-
ber, 1866.

Finally in July, 1867, the charter was again enlarged,
and the route extended under the name of the Utica,
Clinton, and Binghamton Railroad Company, with a
capital of one million of dollars. The road was com-
pleted to Deansville in December, 1867, to Oriskany
Falls in December, 1868, and to Hamilton and Smith's
Valley, in the comity of Madison, in September, 1870,
where it formed a j miction with the New York and Os-
wego Midland Railroad. In 1871 the company built a
steam-road from New Hartford to Utica, and the whole
route from Utica to Smith's Valley was completed and
put in operation. The length of the steam-road is thirty-
two miles, and its cost, including the equipment and roll-
ing stock was about $1,200,000.

In December, 1871, the road was permanently leased
to the New York and Oswego Midland Railroad Com-
pany, with the guaranty of the Delaware and Hudson
Canal Company,- and it is now operated by them greatly
to the advantage of the lessees and the public.

The Rome and Clinton Railroad Company was or-
ganized May 24, 1869. Its directors elected the follow-
ing officers: namely, William S. Bartlett, President; E.
B. Armstrong, Vice-President ; A. W. Mills, Secretary ;
Bloomfield J. Beach, Treasurer. Subscriptions to the
stock in considerable amount were obtained, and the



184 HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF KIRKLAND.

several towns along the line of the road were bonded as
follows : Kirkland, for $40,000 ; Westmoreland, for
$40,000 ; Rome, for $60,000. The right of way hav-
ing been obtained, and sufficient private subscriptions
secured, mostly in Kirkland and Rome, the directors
proceeded to let the contract for building the road, on
the 28th of October 1870, to Willis, Phelps & Company.
The road was completed in the fall of 1871. It was
then leased to the New York and Oswego Midland Rail-
road Company, and said lease was guarantied by the
Delaware and Hudson Canal Company. Said lease runs
for ninety-nine years, and includes a perpetual renewal
of its charter. The cost of building the road was
$870,000 ; and it is rented for $25,000 per annum, pay-
able every six months.

PATEIOTISM OF THE TOWN OF KIKKLAND.

It would be unpardonable in us to make no record of
the patriotism of the inhabitants of Kirkland. We only
regret that our knowledge of what they suffered and
achieved is so small. All that can now be learned is as
follows : —

Of those who served in the War of the Revolution,
this is the Roll of Honor :

Captain Bullen, John Blunt,

Captain Moses Foot, David Comstock,

Captain Look, Samuel Curtiss,

Andrew Blanchard, Thomas Goodsell,

Charles Bartholomew, Ozias Marvin,

Phineas Bell, Stephen Markham,

Eli Bristol, Barnabas Pond,

Samuel Bingham, Philemon Trowbridge,

Numan Blodgett, Smith,

John Bullen, Stillman.



ROLL OF HONOR. 185

Of those who served in the War of 1812, the follow-
ing is the Roll, as far as it can now be made out : —
Captain Isaac Benedict, James Groves,
Captain Orrin Gridley, Thomas Hart,

Lieut. Samuel Comstock, Franklin Hickox,
Ensign Orange Foot, George Hickox,

William Anderson, Silas T. Ives,

Lester Barker, Henry Kellogg,

John Crocker, William Marvin,

Horace Foot, Noble Morse,

Silas Foot, Chester Parmelee,

Orsamus Gleason, Phineas Pearl,

Naaman Goodsell, James D. Stebbins.

In the year 1814, Lieut. Samuel Comstock was pro-
moted to the rank of Adjutant General.

On the breaking; out of the Southern Rebellion in the
year 1861, the inhabitants of Kirkland showed themselves
loyal to the Union, and ready to do their part in pre-
serving it. A large meeting of citizens was held at the
Clinton House, April 24, 1861, at which stirring speeches
were uttered and patriotic resolutions were passed, and
subscriptions made for the benefit of volunteers and
their families. Soon afterward, military companies were
formed in this neighborhood, which received many re-
cruits from Clarks' Mills, Healey's Mills, Clinton and
Hamilton College. National flags were thrown out from
school-buildings, church-spires, and from many private
houses. Clergymen preached often and earnestly upon
the paramount duty of sustaining the government in the
great struggle already begun. The ladies organized be-
nevolent societies for providing clothing and other com-
forts for the soldiers. These articles were sent on, from
time to time, to the seat of war, and contributed much to
the health and happiness of the young men from Kirkland.



186 HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF KIRKLAND.

As the war progressed from year to year, and new
supplies of fighting men were called for by the President,
bounties were offered by the town to all volunteers,
amounting, at one time, to $300 for each soldier. These
bounties were raised by taxation.

Of those who enlisted under the several calls of the
government, from April 1861 to April 1865, the follow-
ing is believed to be a complete list : —

Avery, Edward W., U. S. Navy.

Aitkins, Thomas, 146th Regt.

Aitkins, William, 146th Regt.

Abbott, Sidney M., 36th 111. Regt.

Abbott, A. M.

Abbott, Emory.

Abbott, Newell J.

Armstrong, Amos P., 117th Regt.

Armstrong, Richard.

Adams, James M.

Anderson, Henry.

Ayer, John.

Ashley, Charles G., 146th Regt. Died in Anderson-
ville prison.

Ackerman, John, 26th Regt.

Armstrong, James.

A them, John S.

Allen, Jacob.

Allen, Edward.

Bates, Benjamin, 26th Regt.

Blanchard, Daniel N., 146th Regt.

Blake, Peter, Serg., 146th Regt.

Bartholomew, Wm. L., Capt., 117th Regt.

Barton, Thos. W., 117th Regt.

Baxter, James, 101st Regt.



SOLDIERS IN THE UNION ARMY. 187

Bronson, James C, Col., 57tli Regt.

Bryden, John, Jr., 117th Regt.

Bryden, M. C, 26th Regt.

Brown, Charles, 14th Regt.

Button, L. D.

Brockway, Dr. A. N., Surgeon.

Bartholomew, Geo. A., Corp. Killed at Fort Fisher.

Bass, Levi, 117th Regt. Wounded.

Bass, Jeremiah, 26th Regt.

Bennett, Julius, 117th Regt.

Bennett, Seymour.

Bennett, Charles.

Bradley, George, 117th Regt. Killed in service.

Bodis, John.

Bice, Peter.

Butts, Charles A.

Burns, Peter, 26th Regt.

Benjamin, O. D., 26th Regt.

Burrill, Alonzo.

Budd, Francis.

Budd, Samuel A.

Byron, H. M.

Carr, Henry. Died in service.

Carr, Archibald.

Catlin, Samuel, 14th Regt.

Catlin, Charles, 146th Regt.

Campbell, Wm, 146th Regt.

Camp, Albert, 8th N. Y. Cav.

Camp, Willard, 117th Regt.

Casey, James, 57th Regt.

Cabot, Frederic.

Chapman, Isaac, 146th Regt.

Clark, Nathaniel F.



188 HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF KIRKLAND.

Cooley, 0. B., 26th Regt.

Crossman, Jas. B., 97th Regt. Killed in service.
Conlon, Michael.
Conick, Robert, 26th Regt.
Covil, David.
Coyle, John.
Crumb, Percival.

Crumb, William, 146th Regt. Died in service.
Curtiss, Jesse, 101st Regt.
Dayton, Oscar W., Bates' Battery.
Demarse, John, 57th Regt.
Deans, James, 146th Regt.
Dillow, Richard, 146th Regt.
Doyle, Patrick.
Donnelly, John, 57th Regt.
Donovan, Michael.
Duffy, John.
Duffy, Patrick.

Dunster, William, 117th Regt.
Ernst, John D., Serg., 117th Regt.
England, Robert W., Serg., 146th Regt. Killed at
Gettysburg.

England, Francis A., 146th Regt.
Elphick, Charles, 35th Regt.
Fay, Owen.

Fay, Patrick, 101st Regt.
Farrington, Samuel, 146th Regt.
Farley, James, 4th Artillery.
Finian, Christian, 57th Regt.
Ferry, Eugene, 8th N. Y. Regt.
French, Ephraim, 146th Regt.
Fredericks, Godfrey, 146th Regt.
Fogus, Walter.



SOLDIERS IN THE UNION ARMY. 189

Fuller, Henry. Died.

Fuller, Frederic J., 14th Regt.

Flynn, Richard, 117th Regt. Killed in service.

Garland, Frank, 61st N. Y. Regt.

Gainer d, Thomas.

Green, Martin.

Grinnell, Charles, 101st Regt.

Griffin, Frederic A., 57th Regt. Died in service.

Griffin, William.

Gridley, Henry.

Goodfellow, Henry.

Goodfellow, John T., 146th Regt.

Goodman, B. F.

Goodman, Albert, 57th Regt.

Goodman, William.

Gruman, Charles C, Serg., 117th Regt. Wounded.

Hassam, Lorin.

Hallam, Charles.

Haywood, Caleb, 117th Regt. Died in service.

Harrington, Edward, Serg., 117th Regt.

Harrington, Jeremiah.

Harrington, James, 57th Regt.

Hannegan, William, 3d Artillery.

Hannegan, Michael.

Hannegan, James.

Haver, Augustus, 12th Regt.

Healey, William H.

Harrison, John M.

Habersham, Charles.

Heacox, Samuel.

Heacox, Charles.

Herder, Joseph, 57th Regt.

Hill, Thomas.



190 HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF KIRKLAND.

Hill, Samuel.

Hill, John, 57th Regt.

Hinckley, N. B., Serg., 117th Regt. Died in ser-
vice.

Holt, Adam.

Homer, Porter J.

Howard, Henry, Colored Regt.

Howe, Alonzo. Died in service.

Howe, Lester.

Homes, Samuel E., 117th Regt. Died in prison.

Hubbard, F. H.

Huntley, Thomas.

Hyde, Samuel, 146th Regt.

Ingraham, Frank, 146th Regt.

Ives, George H., 14th Regt.

Jackson, John, 146th Regt.

Jackson, Farrar, 146th Regt. Killed in service.

Jenkins, Martin, 117th Regt.

Jones, S.

Johnson, Charles.

Johnson, Thomas, 146th Regt.

Kennedy, Daniel, 57th Regt.

Kenyon, Hartwell, 117th Regt. Died in service.

Kenyon, Charles H., 117th Regt.

Kellogg, George W.

Kinne, E. O., Bates' Battery.

Kirkland, Ralph T., 146th Regt.

Kirkwood, John.

Kilmurry, Michael, 16th Artillery.

Lathrop, Win. H., Col., 39th Ohio. Killed in ser-
vice.

Lathrop, Charles, 117th Regt.

Lathrop, Joseph, 57th Regt.



SOLDIERS IN THE UNION ARMY. 191

Lathrop, John C.

Lapham, Francis, 8th N. Y. Cav.
' Linebeck, Nelson.

Loorais, Henry, Capt., 146th Regt.

Lord, Austin, 146th Regt.

Lord, James, 146th Regt.

Lucas, Orrin C.

Lucas, Albert W.

Ludlow, Patrick.

Lyman, Thomas H.

Mahan, Charles P., 146th Regt.

Mannering, George W., 101st N. Y.

Marsh, John D.

Marsh, N. B., 57th Regt.

MacBride, John, 14th Regt.

MacCluskey, Paul, 26th Regt.

MacQueen, N. M.

Maxted, James, 14th Regt.

MacEntee, Hiram, 146th Regt.

MacEntee, Emmet, 57th Regt.

Markham, Charles.

Mercer, Thomas.

Miller, Henry H., Corp., 117th Regt. Wounded at
Petersburg.

Miller, Samuel, 117th Regt.

Miller, David, 146th Regt.

Miller, George, 26th Regt.

Miller, Frank, 146th Regt.

Miller, John.

Miner, Oscar P., 101st Regt.

Miner, Cary C, 26th Regt.

Morgan, Edward.

Mosher, Augustus.



192 HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF K1RKLAND.

Mooney, Francis, 8th N. Y. Cav. Killed.

Morgan, Patrick, 57th Regt.

Munger, Wesley B.

M unger, Levi. Died in service.

Murphy, Edward, Corp., 117th Regt. Killed.

Neenan, .

Nolan, Michael.

Northrop, .

Owston, William N., Bates' Battery.
Patten, R. D., 26th Regt.
Pratt, Benjamin.

Pratt, P. .

Payne, George W., 57th Regt.

Payne, David H.

Pegan, James.

Phelps, Fordyce, 146th Regt.

Pearl, George W., 117th Regt.

Petch, Thomas.

Peters, Valentine, Lieut., 26th Regt.

Phillips, Arthur.

Pixley, Austin M.

Powell, Isaac P., Major, 146th Regt.

Powell, Jeremiah.

Powers, William H., 117th Regt.

Quinn, Edward.

Rathbun, John, 117th Regt.

Raymond, Samuel W. Jr., Serg., 146th Regt.

Reed, Archibald, 26th Regt.

Reed, Thomas.

Reed, Henry.

Reese, David, 146th Regt.

Reed, George W. Killed at Fort Fisher.

Reyon, Robert.



SOLDIERS IN THE UNION ARMY. 193

Richmond, Joseph C, 117th Regt. Died in service.

Richardson, Edward, 146th Regt.

Richardson, Joseph.

Rice, James.

Rodice, John, 117th Regt.

Rowler, Andrew T.

Robinson, George,

Robinson, Lewis.

Ross, David, 14th N. Y. Inf.

Russell, Benjamin F. Killed in service.

Sanford, W. EL, 26th Regt.

Sanford, D.

Sanders, .

Sayre, Thomas H., 146th Regt. Died at Anderson-
ville.

Sawyer, Thomas J., Major, 47th Regt.

Sawyer, Oscar G.

Sawyer, Frederick, Capt, 47th Regt.

Sanford, Z. W.

Stack, Matthew.

Savage, John, 117th Regt.

Seamen, James M., 146th Regt.

Seamen, Loring D. Died in service.

Seamen, Jerome, 1st Lieut., 146th Regt.

Shehan, Dennis.

Spencer, Reuben.

Stewart, James, Col., 146th Regt.

Seymour, Charles F., Bates' Battery.

Skinner, Benjamin F., 57th Regt.

Smith, Vincent.

Smith, Thomas, Serg., 117th Regt.

Smith, John F., 57th Regt. Killed at Gettysburg,-

Smith, Truman, 8th N. Y. Cav.

13



194 HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF K1RKLAND.

Stocking, S. W., 14th Regt.

Stockbridge, Joseph, 146th Regt.

Stockwell, L. P., Serg., 14Gth Regt.

Strong, George W., 146th Regt.

Strong, Charles, 115th Regt.

Shorey, E. O., 57th Regt.

Shorey, Henry.

Sumner, Charles, 101st N. Y. Regt.

Taft, Niles, 117th Regt. Killed in service.

Trask, E., 117th Regt.

Trask, John, 117th Regt.

Taylor, William, 146th Regt.

Timian, Christian, 57th Regt.

Twitchell, E. W.

Thomas, George, 26th Regt.

Thorman, Hugh, 57th Regt.

Towr, Jay H., Lieut., 16th Wise. Regt.

Topping, William, 57th Regt.

Thompson, Ezra.

Thompson, Calvin. Died in Salisbury Prison.

Turner, Webbon, 117th Regt. Died in service.

Turner, Frederick.

Turner, Roswell, 117th Regt. Killed.

Utley, Mr.

Vosburg, James.

Vosburg, Daniel.

Wallace, Michael, 57th Regt. Killed.

Walker, Henry.

Waterman, Lorenzo.

Ward, John G.

Warner, Edgar, 117th Regt. Died in service.

Warner, Jonathan C, 117th Regt. Died in Salisbury
prison.



GENERAL REVIEW. 195

Welch, Garrett.
Welch, Lawrence.
Wells, Frederick, 101st Regt.
White, Delos M.
Wilson, Matthew.
Willard, Charles.
Wicks, John W.

AVicks, Edward B., Lieut., 101st Regt.
Wilson, Thomas A., Capt., 146th Regt. Died in ser-
vice.

Whipple, John, 8th N. Y. Cav.
Whiting, B. F., 57th Regt.
Williams, David.
Woolnough, Monroe, 117th Regt.
Wholahan, Michael, 146th Regt.
Wood, Albert H., 14th N. Y. Artillery.
Wood, Adelbert S., 146th Regt.
Wolfe, James B.
Young, John B.



In reviewing the pages of this book, I am made sen-
sible that some things which should have appeared here
have been left unrecorded, and that in many instances
the spirit of the past has been imperfectly caught. The
incidents, especially of our homespun age, the times of
Dr. Norton and the old white meeting-house, are worthy
of a fuller recital. But I can now, in this conclusion,
only glance at a few of them.

.... In those days there were no buildings on the
north side of College Street between the Comstock house,
now Mr. Piatt's, and the Marvin house, now Mr. Sher-
man's ; nor on the south side between Mrs. Lucy Will-



196 HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF KIRKLAND.

iaras' now Mrs. Wood's, and Captain Barnes', now Rev.
Mr. Jerome's. The Chenango canal and the railroad
had not then been built, and the Flats presented an un-
broken stretch of fertile meadow, memorable in boys' eyes
chiefly as the scene of general trainings.

In that primitive day the household fire was made
upon a broad hearth, under a wide-throated chimney, the
wood of " sled length," and sometimes chiefly of logs,
being drawn into the kitchen by a horse, and lifted by
stout men on to the huge andirons, " ligna super foco
large reponens." Around the walls of this room and
overhead were hung flitches of beef and bacon for dry-
ing, and strings of dried apples and pumpkins and pep-
pers and bunches of sage and catnip.

Then, too, there were husking-bees, paring-bees, quilt-
ing-bees, bees for house-raising and house-moving. Those
were the days of doughnuts and cider, butternuts and
apples ; days of singing-schools for learning sacred music,
in which " the music was not so much sacred as prepar-
ing to be."

In those good old times the meeting-house was warmed
in winter by nothing save the fire of devotion, and the
small foot-stoves allowed to some of the tender sex.
When the air was keen one could see little columns of
breath rising all over the church, from the lips of wor-
shippers. The men prided themselves on their powers
of endurance, and in the coldest weather would as soon
have thought Dr. Norton's sermons unorthodox as too
long. When the mercury fell very low they sometimes
put on extra garments, and the parson preached in cloak
and mittens. In that evil and degenerate day when
stoves were introduced, they begat a great amount of
headache, real and imaginary, and threatened, for a
while, the peace and prosperity of our Zion.



THOSE GOOD OLD TIMES. 197

In those days the saintly Thomas Hastings was choris-
ter of the village choir, Professor Seth Norton, Samuel
Gridley, Silas Tyler, and Josiah Owens were the leading
singers on the men's side, while Mrs. Austen Mygatt,
Mrs. Anion Ives, and Miss Prudence Hart, sustained well
the women's side. Ephraim Hart played on the bass-
viol (still only half-regenerate), and Truman Hart dis-
coursed upon the flute. Fondly, tearfully do the gray-
haired sires tell us that when Thomas Hastings held the
tuning-fork, and these singers and players did their best,
the old arches resounded with melodies and harmonies
not often excelled in these days of organs and other mod-
ern improvements. It was only a few years later than
this, that many a college student was heard to declare
that he went to the village church of a Sunday, as much
to hear George Bristol's tenor as to hear Dominie Nor-
ton's discourses. In the earliest days of this church the
psalms and hymns of Watts were used in the Sabbath
service, but shortly afterwards D wight's book of praise
was introduced and was continued for many years.

In the latter part of this early period, Sam. Foot was
the bell-ringer and church sexton. He greatly magnified
his office. On public occasions, especially at college
exhibitions, he was prince of all the realm ; unruly boys
quaked in their shoes when he lifted his dreadful rod, or
hurled against them the thunders of his awful voice.
Mose Wright and Jed. Curtiss were the village loafers,
and Old Kate and Peter Bush were distinguished as
the freed slaves of Nathaniel Griffin.

In the latter part of the same period, there lived here
a number of persons who deserve honorable mention.
Among them was Deacon Isaac Williams, large in
stature, grave in aspect, " set four square to every wind



198 HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF KIRKLAND.

that blew," yet withal a very genial and kindly man ;
and there was his neighbor, Dr. Noyes, the Professor of
Chemistry, who rejoiced in the failure of an experiment
almost as much as in its success, since it furnished an
unexpected illustration of some important principle in
science, and who originated many useful inventions which
enriched others while they left himself poor ; and there
was Deacon Salmon Butler, a downright Puritan in
principle and life, always ready, like some of his descend-
ants, to contend earnestly for the faith, but none the less
a man highly respected and esteemed ; and Dr. Seth
Hastings, the peacemaker and the beloved physician,
whose beaming face and hopeful words gave potency to
his medicines ; and Deacon Orrin Gridley, of whom I
trust it is not mere filial partiality to record that as a man
of business and in his relations to the church and society
he was widely useful. Did space permit, I should like to
speak more at length of such names as Jesse Curtiss,
James Bronson, Samuel Hubbard, the Hart family, the


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14 16 17

Online LibraryA. D. (Amos Delos) GridleyHistory of the town of Kirkland, New York (Volume 1) → online text (page 14 of 17)