Copyright
A. D Bayne.

Royal illustrated history of eastern England, civil, military, political, and ecclesiastical .. (Volume 1) online

. (page 26 of 70)
Online LibraryA. D BayneRoyal illustrated history of eastern England, civil, military, political, and ecclesiastical .. (Volume 1) → online text (page 26 of 70)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


small priory, a cell to the Benedictine Abbey of Norwich, which at the
dissolution was given by Henry VIII., as part of the endowment of the
Dean and Prebendaries of that Cathedral. The Church is a cruciform
structure with a south chapel, and is partly in the early and partly in the
perpendicular styles ; the entrance to the west is through a rich Norman
doorway ; the tower rises between the nave and chancel. In 1840, a
National School for one hundred children was erected ; it is supported
by subscription. £40, the rental of laud, is annually distributed among
the poor.

BEOOKE (ST. TETEK),

A parish seven miles (south-east by east) from Norwich, is situated
between the Rivers Yare and Waveney, and comprises 2119a. 2k. Up., of
which about 1387 are arable, 488 pasture, and 232 wood. The soil varies
from a mixed loam to a tenacious clay, and has been much improved by
draining. The surface is boldly undulated, and there is an extensive
range of rich meadow land, watered by a stream called the Beck. There



2^0 HISTORY or EASTEKN ENGLAND,

tu-u also two lakes ur meres, the shores of which are beautifully wooded.
The great road from NorAvich to Buugay runs through the village, in
which there are several handsome residences. The living is a discharged
vicarage, valued in the King's books at £5, and in the patronage of the
Crown. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £552 8s., of
which £390 are paid to the impropriator, £240 to the vicar, £o 14s. to the
Hector of Kirstead, and £4 14s. Gd. to the Rector of Howe. There is a
good glebe house, which was considerably improved by the Kev. Wilham
Castell. The Church is a very ancient structure, with a circular tower,
the upper part of which is octagonal, and is supposed to have been erected
about the year 1000. It consists of nave, chancel, and north aisle, and
has the remains of an ancient carved screen, and a font elaborately
scidptured with emblems of the seven Roman sacraments. The nave,
which is spacious and lofty, is covered with reeds grown in the marshes.
There is a place of worship for Baptists. In 1838, there was erected by
subscription a National Infants' School for the children of Brooke and
Kirkstead. The proceeds of a Church estate, amounting to about £80
per annum, are appropriated to the repairs of the Church and the general
purposes of the parish. Sir Astley Paston was born here in 1768.

IJUKGH (ST. TETEi;), Oi; WHEATACKE BUKGH,

Is a parish six and three-quarter miles (oast-north-east) from Beccles.
This parish comprises 860 acres, of whiVh 58o are low marshy grazing
land, about fifteen wood, and the remainder arable. The living is a
discharged rectory, valued in the King's books at £7 6s. 8d. The tithes
have been commuted for a rent-charge of £370, and the glebe comprises
fifteen and a-half acres, valued at £23 7s. per annum, out of which
a rent-charge of £3 is payable to the Rector of Monk's Toft.

ELLINGHAM (ST. MARY),

A parish situated on the river Waveney, near Bungay, contains about
100 inhabitants. The living is a rectory ; net income, £41 1 ; patron,
L(jrd Braybrook. The tithes have been commuted for a rent charge of
t339 13s. 2d., and the glebe comprises ninety-one acres. The Church is
an ancient structure, in the early English style, with a square embattled
tower. There is a National School.

GELDESTONE (ST. MICHAEl),

A parish bounded on the south by the river Waveney, near Beccles,
comprises 820a. 2r. 2p., of which lUl are arable, 400 pasture, and
fourteen woodland. There arc here an extensive brewery and a malting



A DESCKIPTION OF NORFOLK. 221

establishment, from wliicli is a small cut to the Wavcney. The hall is a
handsome mansion, and was the residence of John Kerrick, Esq. The
living is a discharged rectory, in the patronage of the Crown. The
tithes were commuted for a rent-charge of £168, and the glebe comprises
t'oui'teen acres, valued at £14 5s. lOd. per annum. The Church is chiefly
in the later English style, v/ith a circular tower of earlier date.

OILLINGHAM,

Comprising the united parishes of All Saints and St. Mary, is situated on
the road from Norwich and Beccles, nnd is bounded on the south by the
river Waveney. The livings are discharged rectories united; patron, Lord
G. Bercsford. The tithes were commuted for a rent-charge of £462 10s. Od,;
and the glebe comprises sixty acres, valued at £24 per annum, with
a glebe house. The Church (St. Mary) is principally of Norman
architecture, with a tower rising from the centre. The west and north
entrances are under enriched Norman arches, and the chancel contains a
handsome monument to Sir Nicholas Bains, Bart., and several others.
The Church of All Saints was demolished in 1748, but the round tower
still remains, and being overgrown with ivy presents an interesting and
venerable appearance. Two schools are chiefly supported by subscription ;
and there are town lands producing £50 per annum for parochial purposes.

HADDISCOE (ST. MARy)

Is a parish bounded on the north-east by the river Waveney, on the road
from Yarmouth to Beccles. The manor house here is a good modern
r-esidence on the banks of the Waveney, and is the seat of Septimus
Grimmer, Esq., Lord of the Manor. The living is a discharged rectory,
with that of Toft Monks annexed ; patrons. Provost and Fellows of King's
College, Cambridge. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge
of £341 10s. Od. The glebe contains about twenty-two acres, valued at
£33, to which there is a glebe house. The Church is chiefly in the later
English style, has a round tower, and the entrances are through richly-
decorated Norman doorways.

KIRBY CANE,

A parish in the south-eastern border of the county, named originally
Kirby Camp, of which the modern appellation is a corruption. There Avas
an ancient camp at Pewter's Hill, where, about the year 1815, several
skeletons, celts, and various weapons were turned up by the plough. The
hall is a handsome mansion, and was the residence of Lord Berners, who
is patron of the living, a discharged rectory. The tithes were commuted
for a rent-charge of £425, and the glebe comprises forty-one acres, valued



222 HISTORY OF EASTERN ENGLAND.

at £G0. The Church is an ancient structure in the early Enghsh stj^le,
with a circular tower. There is a AVesleyan Chapel and a National School.

HALES (ST. MARGARET),

A parish two miles (south-east by south) from Loddou, and comprises
909a. 3r. Up., of which 761 A. 1r. 18p. are arable, 59a. 2r. 21 p. woodland,
and 89a. 3k. 12 p. pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy. Patron and
impropriator, Sir W. B. Smyth, Bart. The impropriate tithes have been
connnuted for a rent-charge of £246. The Church is chiefly in the?
Norman style, and has a circular tower.

HOWE (sT. mary),

A parish six and a-half miles (south-south-east) from Norwich, comprises
757 acres, the chief part of which is arable. The living is a discharged
rectory, with the rectory of Little Poringland, united in 1782,. valued in
the King's books at £8 1 3s. 4d. The tithes of the united parishes have
been commuted for a rent-charge of £350 6d.; and the glebe consists of
55 acres. There is also a rent-charge of £42, payable to the rector
of Bixley with Framingham Earl. Elizabeth Hastings, in 1838, left £6
per annum for instruction.

LODDON HUNDRED

Extends about ten miles south of the river Tare, and is from five to six
miles in breadth, being bounded on the north by Blofield, on the east by
Clavering, on the south by Earsham, and on the west by Henstead. It
has generally a fertile soil, is well cultivated, and abounds with wood and
water. Near the Yare it has a rich but watery tract of marshes, with
several rivulets and broads. It comprises twenty-one parishes, covering
38,495 acres, with a population of 7,520. The parishes in this Hundred
are Alpington, Ashby, Bedingham, Broome, Carleton St. Peter, Chedgrave,
Claxton, Ditchingham, Hardley, Hedenham, Hillington, Kirstead, Langle}',
Loddon, Mundham, Seething, Sisland, Thurton, Thwaite St. Mary, Top-
croft, Woodton. The whole Hundred is in the Loddon and Clavering
Union, which was incorporated under an Act passed in 1765, but is now
managed in accordance with the pro\nsions of the New Poor Law Acts.



This parish extends from the river Yare to Loddon, and comprises
2700 acres of land. The owner of the soil and Lord of the Manor, Sir
Thos. Wm. Brograve Proctor Beauchamp, Bart., is also impropriator of the
tithes, and resides at Langley Hall, a large and very elegant mansion in a
beautiful park of 800 acres. The hall was erected about the year 1740



A DESCRIPTION OV NORFOLK. 223

by Mv. Recorder Berney, of Norwich^ and finished by George Proctor,
Esq. It was afterwards enlarged by Sir W. B. Proctor, who was created
a baronet in 1744 and made a Knight of the Bath. Additions were made
to its wings some years ago.

DITCHINGHAM

Is a large scattered village extending southward to the river Wavoney,
thirteen miles (south-south-east) from Norwich. The parish comprises
2084 acres of land. The large heath in this and Broome parish was
enclosed in 1812. The Duke of Norfolk is Lord of the Manor of
Ditchingham, and J. L. Bedingfield, Esq., is Lord of the adjoinii7g Manor
of Pirnhow, which was anciently a parish. The rectory is now in the
patronage of George Shaw, Esq. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for
£560 per annum ; and there are thirty acres of glebe. The Church (St.
Mary) stands on an eminence, and is a fine building in the perpendicular
style, comprising nave, chancel, north and south porches, and lofty square
tower containing six bells. Ditchingham Hall is situated near the high
road from Norwich to Bungay, and is well worthy of observation. It was
the elegant seat of Philip Bedingfeld, Esq., who made many improvements
with much judgment and taste. John Longueville Bedingfeld is now
owner of the Hall. Ditchingham House, a substantial brick structure on
a large lawm, is now the seat of Captain John Margetson. The Lodge is
occupied by Colonel Wilson. Holly Hill Lodge a neat modern residence
with pleasant ground, is the seat and property of Robert White, Esq.

LODDON

Is pleasantly situated on the banks of a river, which rises in this Hundred
and empties itself into the Yare at Hardley Cross. It is ten miles from
Norwich, five from Beccles and six from Bungay, and has a weekly market
on Friday, and two annual fairs, viz., April 5th, and November 11th.
The present Church was built by Sir James Hobart in the reign of
Henry VII., and is a beautiful building. In the North Chapel by the
chancel, on a marble altar, are several brass plates, with the arms and two
figures now disrobed, " in memory of Henry Hobart, Esq." Near to
this, on a grave stone with brass plates, there is the effigy of a woman,
and the following inscription : — " Ann Hobart, late wife of Henry Hobart,
Esq., daughter of Sir John Fyneaux, Knt., Chief Judge of England,
which Ann departed this life the last day of October, 1530." Also the
arms of Hobart and Fyneaux.

DEPWADE HUNDRED

Is about ten miles in length from east to west, and six in breadth, bounded
on the east by Loddon, on the west by Shropham, on the north by



224 HIRTORY OF EASTERN ENGLAND.

Forehoe, and south by Earsham. It is a fertile and well wooded district,
crossed by good roads and by several small streams, which give rise to
the river Taas, which was formerl}^ a larger stream, crossed by a deep
ford near Tasburgh. This deep ford gave its name to the Hundred,
which contains 30,491 acres, twenty-one parishes, and 9616 inhabitants,
nearly all engaged in agricultural pursuits. The parishes in this Hundred
are Ashwellthorpe, Aslacton, Bunwell, Carlton Eode, Forncett St. Mary,
Forncett St. Peter, Fritton, Fundenhall, Hapton, Hardwick, Hempnall,
Morningthorpe, Moulton (Great), Shelton, Stratton St. Mary, Stratton
St. Michael, Tacolnestone, Tasburgh, Tharston, Tibbenham and Wacton.
These are all rural parishes, whose inhabitants are nearly all engaged in
agricultui-al pursuits. There is litttle to notice in any of the parishes
except the Churches, which are nearly all fine edifices, similar in the style
of architecture.

OTRATTON, LONG (ST. MARY),

A market town and parish, ten miles (south) from Norwich, is built on
each side of the high road from the city to London. It consists of one
long street of well-built houses. A fair was granted by King John to
Roger de Stratton in 1207, but it is now disused. The parish comprises
1517 acres of land, of which 1097 are arable, 361 pasture, and 32 wood
aiid waste. The living is a rectory ; patrons. Master and Fellows of
Gonville and Cains College. The tithes were commuted for a rent-charge
of £413 -10s. Od. The Church, built about 1330, is chiefly in the
decorated and later styles, with a circular tower, surmounted by a low
spire. There is a Chapel for Independents. Pai't of the ancient manor
house, now a farm-house, still remains.

STRATTON (ST. MICHAEL),

A parish adjoining, comprises 1050 acres of land, of which about 120 are
pasture and the rest arable. The living is a rectory, with that of St.
Peter consolidated; patrons. Warden and Fellovv's of New College,
Oxford. The tithes were commuted for a rent-charge of £330, and there
is a good glebe house ; the glebe contains twenty -six acres. The Church
of St. Peter was demolished long ago ; that of St. Michael consists of a
nave and chancel, with a low embattled tower. The Wesleyans have a
Chapel here, as well as in most of the villages in Norfolk.

TASBURGH (ST. MARy),

A parish situated on the road from Norwich to London, is supposed to
have been the Ad Tiiam of the Romans, who had a camp here on the
banks of th' River Tatfe. The parish comprises 881 acres of land, of



A DESCRIPTION OF NORFOLK. 225

which 637 are arable and the remainder meadows and gardens. The
surface is in some parts boldly undulated^ and very fine views are obtained
from the churchyard and its vicinity of an extensive range of beautifully-
varied scenery. The living is a rectory ; the tithes were commuted for a
rent-charge of £287 j the glebe contains three acres, valued at £4 per
annum. The Church is a very ancient edifice, with a circular tower, and
stands on elevated ground in the area of a square entrenchment com-
prising twenty-four acres.

SHELTON (ST. BIAEY), NEAR LONG STEATTON,

Comprises 1301a. 2r. 6p., of which 1024 are arable and 267 pasture. This
parish was formerly the property of the Shelton family, of whom Sir
Ralph Shelton built the ancient Hall, a spacious castellated mansion,
moated round, and which is now a farm-house. The living is a rectory,
with that of Hard wick annexed. The tithes were commuted for a rent-
charge of £640. The glebe comprises 42 acres, valued at £52 10s= per
annum. The Church, built by Sir Ealph Shelton, is an elegant structure
in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains
many ancient monuments, and some fine windows embellished with Bible
subjects in stained glass. In the chancel there is a handsome cenotaph
to Sir Robert Houghton, Chief Justice of the King's Bench.

MOENINGTHORPE (ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST),

A parish eleven miles (south) from Norwich, comprises 1001a. Or. 13p., of
which 970 acres are well cultivated land, with a moderate portion of wood-
land. Boyland Hall is a handsome mansion in the Elizabethan style, the
seat of the Hon. Admiral Irby. The living is a discharged rectory in the
patronage of the Crown. The tithes were commuted for a rent-charge
of £300, and the glebe comprises eight acres, valued at £10 lOs. per
annum. The Church is a fine structure, chiefly in the later English style.
The chancel was beautified by the Rector, and the altar enriched with
carved oak. A parochial school was erected in 1841.

CARLTON RODE (ALL SAINTS),

A parish five miles (south-east by east) from Attleborough, is said to have
taken its distinguishing appellation from its ancient Lord, Walter de Rode,
who lived in the reign of Henry III. The parish comprises 2600 acres.
The living is a discharged rectory ; patron. Sir R. J. Buxton, Bart. The
tithes were commuted for a rent charge of £921, and the glebe consists of
forty-nine acres, valued at £72 per annum, with an excellent glebe house
The Church is a handsome structure, chiefly in the later English style, and



226 HISTORY OP EASTERN ENGLAND.

has a low square tower. The nave is lighted .by clerestory windows, and
is separated from the chancel by the remains of a carved screen on which
are painted figures of the Twelve Apostles.

EARSHAM HUNDRED

Is a fertile district, bounded on the west by Diss Hundred, on the north
by Loddon, and on the east by the river Waveney, which divides it from
Suffolk. It is about thirteen miles in length along the river, and averages
from three to five miles in breadth. It is all in the liberty of the Duke of
Norfolk, contains 24,564 acres, fourteen parishes, and 8484 inhabitants.
Harleston is the market town, where a new Corn Hall has been built, and
much business is done there on Wednesdays.

This Hundred includes the rural parishes of Alburgh, BiUingford,
Brockdish, Denton, Earsham, Mendham (part), Needham, Pulham St.
Mary Magdalen, Pulham St. Mary the Virgin, Kedenhall, Harleston,
Eushall, Starston, Thorpe Abbotts, Wortwell.

Billino-ford was originally named Preleston, or the " Town of the Battle/^
in all probability so called from some remarkable battle fought here when
the Romans possessed the land. Its present name first occurred in the
time of Henry III., when the inhabitants began to settle near the ford,
for BiUingford signifies the dwelling at the ford near a low meadow.



Was the chief Manor of the Hundred of Earsham, and belonged to Stigand,
the Archbishop, at the survey of Edward the Confessor, when it was worth
£11, being then a mile and a-half long, a mile broad, and paid 6d. to the
gelt or tax. At the Conquest it belonged to the King, William I., who
committed the management of it to William de Noiers. The soc and sac
belonged to it, and the whole was raised to £40 value. From the time it
was o-ranted to the Norfolk family, along with the half hundred from the
Crown, it passed with the Manor of Forncett, the Duke of Norfolk being
Lord of the Manor and owner of the park here, which is now disparked ;
but in the 35th of Edward I. it was well stocked, and belonged to the
lodge or manor house, which had 286 acres in demesne, sixteen acres in
meadow and the hall dykes or fishery, a water mill and many woods and
fens, all of which were kept for the use of Roger Bigod, then lord, who
resided chiefly at his adjacent castle of Bungay, in Sufiblk. The estate
passed to the Throgmorton's, then to the Gooch's, then to the Buxton^?,
when John Buxton, Esq., built the present house, called Earsham Lodge
or Hall, which became the seat of the Windhams. The great statesman,
William Windham, resided here at the close of the last century.



A DESCRIPTION OP NORFOLK. 227



Takes its name from the Saxon word den, a cave, or hollow place between
two hills, which exactly answers to the situation. The present Church
stands on a hill, and the parsonage house on the north side of the church-
yard, in the very den or hollow from which the village is named. The supe-
rior jurisdiction over divers freemen of this place passed Avith the Hundred
of Earsham ; but the chief manor of Denton was held of Bishop Stigaud by
Alfriz, in the reign of Edward the Confessor ; and by Eudo, son of
Spii'uwin at the survey in 1086, when it was worth £4 per annum^ the
town being a mile long and four furlongs wide, and paid Is. 6d. gelt or
tax. The estate came to William de Albany, who joined it to the Castle
at Buckenham, with which it passed for many ages. Another part, which
fvOi'merly belonged to the Abbey of Bury St. Edmund's, was held by
Tarmoht, and then by the said Eudo. This constituted that manor called
Pay one's in Denton.

The manor of Denton-cum-Topcroft passed with the Albany s, and at
the division of the estate of that family among female heiresses, was
allotted among others to Sir Robert de Tatestale, Knight, in whose family
it continued till the failui^e of male issue.

MENDHAM

Includes Needham, Shotford, and Metfield. Needham adjoins east to
Brockdish, on the high road, and was originally a hamlet and chapelry to
Mendham, which is a very extensive place. The parish church stands just
over the river in Suffolk ; but this hamlet and the adjacent part between
it and the parish church on the Norfolk side were no less than two miles
and five furlongs in length, and seven furlongs in width, at the survey in
1086, and paid sevenpence to the gelt or tax. The part on the Norfolk
side (exclusive of the bounds of this ancient hamlet) was called Shotford
or the part of the ford (over which there was a good brick bridge), and
for many ages had a rector presented to it, by the name of the rector of
Shotford portion, in Mendham. Part of Herolveston or Harleston then
belonged to Mendham ; and now that part opposite the south side of the
chapel. Mendham Church is a good building, with a square tower and
five bells, having a nave, two aisles, and south porch leaded, and chancel
tiled, in which are several memorials of persons long since dead and
forgotten. This parish church is dedicated to All Saints, and was originally
a rectory, one turn in which was in Sir William de Huntingfield, founder
of the Priory here, to which he gave it, and the other in Sir Thomas de
Needham, who gave it to the Prior and Convent of the Holy Trinity at
Ipswich, to which it was appropriated by Thomas de Blandeville, Bishop



228 HISTORY or eastern ENGLAND.

of Norwich, in 1227, when the vicarage was settled, and the first vicar
here was presented by the Prior of Ipswich.

The Chapel of St. Peter at Needham was in all probability founded by
Sir Thomas de Needham for his own tenants, and being so far from the
mother Church of Mendham was made parochial and had separate bounds,
officers, administration of sacraments, and burial.

This Hamlet originally belonged to the Abbot of Bury St. Edmund's,
and was infeoffed by Froslo at the conquest, and his descendants took the
surname of Needham, and, contrary to common rule, gave their name to
the place instead of taking their name from the place.

Medefield, or Metfield, or the field by the meadows, is another Hamlet
or parochial Chapel of Mendham, the great tithes of which belonged to
the impropriator there, who nominated and paid the stipendiary chaplain
at the close of last century. The Chapel is dedicated to St. John the
Baptist, and has a square clock tower and three bells ; the south porch,
nave, and chancel are leaded. This Hamlet was the ancient seat of the
Jermys. Medefield, or Metfield, was anciently of the fee of the Abbot of
St. Bennett at Holme, near Dilham, of whom it was held in the time of
Eichard I. at half-a-fee by Hugh Bard, after which it was escheated to
the Crown, and was granted to Thomas de Brotherton, son to Edward I.,
who married Alice, daughter of Sir Eoger Hales, of Harwich, Knight,
whose sister, Joan, marrried Sir John Jenny, Knight, and in 1325, the
said Thomas conveyed to his brother-in-law. Sir John Jermy, Knight, two
parts of this manor, and the third part to his wife for assignment of her
dower. In 1428, Sir John Jermy, Knight, owned this manor and rebuilt
the Church and manor house, where he placed the matches of his family
in the windows, and his own arms are carved several times in the timber
of the roof, and are still in several windows and in stone in the front. He
died in 1487, and was buried at the north-east comer of the chancel. His
inscription was cut in old-text letters on his tombstone, but it is so worn
and broken that little of it remains.

From the younger branch descended the Jermys of Bayfield in Holt
Hundred ; and John Jermy, Esq., of the eldest, continued the family at
Metfield, and lies buried in the chancel near his grandfather, with a brass
plate on his stone, ohlj January 14, 1 504, with the arms of Jermy and
Hopton. Sir John Jermy, of Metfield and Brightwell, Knight of the
Bath, was his grandson. An altar tomb at the north-east corner of this
chancel, with the arms of Jermy, shows this inscription : " Thomas Jarmy,
Esq., Sonne and heire of Sir Thomas Jarmy, Knight of the Honourable
Order of the Bath, December 21, 1652." The manor was afterwards sold
and passed to Walter Plominer, Esq.



A DESCEIPTION OP NORFOLK. 229

PULHAM (ok PULLAHAM)

Signifies the village of pools or standing waters. According to the
earliest account, it belonged to Waldcliist, a Saxon, who forfeited all that



Online LibraryA. D BayneRoyal illustrated history of eastern England, civil, military, political, and ecclesiastical .. (Volume 1) → online text (page 26 of 70)