Copyright
Abiel Abbot.

History of Andover, from its settlement to 1829 online

. (page 1 of 15)
Online LibraryAbiel AbbotHistory of Andover, from its settlement to 1829 → online text (page 1 of 15)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Qass

Book



HISTORY



ANDOVER



FROM ITS SETTLEMENT TO 1829.



BY ABIEL. ABBOT, A. M.



andover:

PRINTED AND PUBLISHED BV FLAGG AND GOULD.

1829.



t'

-S'^'



ADVERTISEMEIVT,



The Compiler, for he does not assume the name
of Author, of the following history, offers his thanks to
all who have aided him in collecting die documents
and facts, which are here stated. That there are no
errors, it would be foolish to pretend ; but there are no
intentional errors. He has used with much freedom,
the language of the documents from which the com-
»>iladon ha« been made. He hopes that some impor-
\nt facts have been rescued from oblivion ; and that
^any miy be gratified with being able to trace the
;eps of their descent from their ancestors, who first
^ettled in this country. When the first permanent set-
tlement was made in Andover has not been precisely
ascertained. Some early transactions could not be as-
certained through defect of records occasioned by dep-
redations of the Indians. Few occurrences were noted
by the early settlers, and traditions are few and dim.
The compilation after no inconsiderable labor and
pains, is offered to the public, and, especially, to the
inhabitants of Andover, and to the descendants of the
early settlers of that ancient and respectable town.



HISTORY OF ANDOVER.



CHAP. I.

TOPOGRAPHY.



ALndover, in the county of Essex, Mass. situated on
the south easterly side of the Merrimack, 20 miles N. of
Boston, hi NW. of Salem, 20 S. westerly from Newbury-
port, 8 S of Haverhill, and 467 from Washington, is bound-
ed on the NNW. 10 miles and 5507 rods by the Merrimack,
which separates it from Dracut and Methuen ; on the NE.
14(> rods by Bradford, and 7 miles and 241 rods by Box-
ford ; on the SE. 3 miles and 68 rods by Middleton ; on
the S. 4 miles by Reading, and 2 miles and 285 rods by
Wilmington; and on the SW. 6 miles and 197 rods by
TewksLury. It was originally bounded by the Merrimack,
Rowley, Salem, Woburn, and Cambridge, which formerly
included Billerica and Tewksbury.

The town is well watered. It has tlie Merrimack the
whole length of its N. westerly side. Cochichewick brook,
issuing from Great Pond, in the NE. part of the town, af-
ter a N. westerly course of about one and a half mile, emp-
ties into the Merrimack, a little more than a mile below
Andov


1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Online LibraryAbiel AbbotHistory of Andover, from its settlement to 1829 → online text (page 1 of 15)