Abraham Lincoln Gary.

Dalbey's souvenir pictorial history of the city of Richmond, Indiana : containing a historical sketch ; views of public buildings, school houses, churches, business houses, manufactories, private residences ; street, park, cemetery and river views online

. (page 1 of 3)
Online LibraryAbraham Lincoln GaryDalbey's souvenir pictorial history of the city of Richmond, Indiana : containing a historical sketch ; views of public buildings, school houses, churches, business houses, manufactories, private residences ; street, park, cemetery and river views → online text (page 1 of 3)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Gc

977 . 202

R41da



M.



y



t



ALLEN COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY



3 1833 02303 5634



Gc 977.202 R41da

Dalbe/'s souvenir pictorial
history of the city of
Richmond, Indiana ...



Digitized by the Internet Archive

in 2010 with funding from

Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center



http://www.archive.org/details/dalbeyssouvenirpOOrich




River, Showing Old National Br i:. Half-Tonj Work in Four Co

l'r«i»iil N .. hn|,..n ['IK. M J
Richmond, Ind.



J)ALBE Y'S SOUVENIR S




UlSTORI



C!TTV OF RICHMOND



INDIANA,



Containing a Historical Sketch; Views of Public Buildings, School Houses, Churches,



Business Houses, Manufactories, Private Residences; Street,
Park, Cemetery and River Views.

1896.



VficAotson Printing <& ?/?/?. Co. . Printers an* 33,ndvr s .



p*rr



TO Box 2270

FOrt "^ IN 46801-2270





W.U.TKJI I.. I>A



Publishers of Dai.bey's Souvenir.



Edition. 3,500.




Jird's-Eye View op Richmond in 1859.



1463817

HISTORICAL SKETCH OF RICHMOND.




RICHMOND is located in the heart of the "Whitewater country," the famous "promised land" that formed the goal of
so many of the hardy sons and daughters of older sections, when this century was young. David Hoover, a lad
originally from North Carolina, who was out prospecting for an eligible place for a future home, came to the valley
now occupied by this city and enthusiastically named it "The Promised Land." This was in the windy, blusterous
March of 1806, when this lovely region really appeared in its worst aspect.

In May of the following year. Andrew Hoover (David's father), John Smith, Jeremiah Cox and a few others entered this
land, most of which is now a part of the city. The Hoover and Cox families were members of the Society of Friends, and the glowing
accounts they sent abroad, mostly into the settlements of the denomination in North Carolina, gave it great fame as the beautiful
"Whitewater country," and caused the tide of immigration to turn in this direction.

John Smith's farm was on the south side of what was subsequently known as the National road, and through it the
Whitewater flowed, while that pioneer's primitive cabin sat perched on the bluff, overlooking the stream.

As a majority of the immigrants were Friends, they settled in this township so as to be contiguous and able to maintain a
place of religious worship. After nine years of residence in the wilderness, Smith found the demand for homes in this immediate
vicinity was so great that he determined to lay out a village. The town embraced what is now known as South Fourth and
Fifth streets. The lots were 82^ by 132 feet in dimension. The straggling rows of cabins and the two stores were not formally
christened, but were currently spoken of as Smithsville.



In the Summer of 1818 Jeremiah Cox, whose lands adjoined those of Smith on the north, platted a somewhat larger
village, which was known as Coxborough. It extended from North Sixth street west to the river. This addition rapidly
settled up, and in September of the same year the towns were incorporated as one, under the name of

" RICHMOND."

The population at that time was about 150 souls, of whom fully two-thirds were members of the religious society of
Friends. Richmond had two older competitors for trade: Salisbury was platted in 18 10, and in 18 16 was the county-seat and
was in the zenith of its glory. In the march of civilization it has long since disappeared. Centerville was laid out in 1S14
and was made the county-seat the same year that Smithsville and Coxborough were united under the name of Richmond.

The combined villages were scarcely named before an application for a postoffice was on its way to the National capital.
As soon as it was received it was granted, and a commission as postmaster was forwarded to Robert Morrisson. It reached
him in the latter part of December, and he opened the office in a small frame building at the southwest corner of Fourth and
Main streets, near the site of the old court-house. He held the office until 1829, a period of eleven years. While he was
postmaster the mail was carried on horseback and arrived and departed regularly once every two weeks, unless hindered by
high water ; but as the streams were not bridged, it was not infrequent that it was detained several weeks on the journey.
The quarterly returns seldom exceeded three dollars.

To-day we have an elegantly appointed postal service, with eleven regular and two substitute carriers to gather and
distribute mail, a commodious and well-arranged office, a postmaster, a money-order clerk, one register clerk, one distributing
clerk, one stamp clerk, one directing clerk, and two mailing clerks, besides one messenger. The quarterly returns average
about $10,000.

EVOLUTION OF HOTELS.

The first "tavern" was a double log house, advertising entertainment for "man and beast." It was in Smithsville and
was opened by Philip Harter, in 1816. In 1822 Philip Lacey built a brick edifice on South Fourth street and opened another
"tavern." In 1826 Jonathan Baylies kept tavern in a building that occupied the site of the present marble works at the
corner of North Fifth and Main streets. He called it the "Green Tree," and it was a famous resort for travelers. This
tavern was kept by a number of persons before it ceased to be a place of public entertainment. William H. Yaughan was the
last to preside over its destinies. The number and character of our hotels has kept pace with the increase in our population
and the intelligence of our people. To-day we point with pride to the stateliest, prettiest and best arranged hotel in the State.
The Westcott stands unrivaled as a public hostelry, and enables the city to say that it is able to accommodate, in the very best
of style, any number of people who may visit us, either for pleasure or profit.

Besides the Westcott we have a number of smaller hotels, each equal to the best that any other city in Eastern Indiana
can show. Among these are the Arlington, the Huntington, Arnold's, and the Brunswick.

THE MARCH OF IMPROVEMENT.

The first brick house was erected on what is now South A street, west of Fourth, in 1811, by John Smith. Then it was
a palace ; now it would not be considered as at all beautiful, healthful, or commodious.

The National road opened up a highway for traffic in 1828.

Up to 1826 horse-racks stood in front of every hotel and business house, but in that year they were removed by order of
the town authorities.



Ou the 30th of March, 1821, the first newspaper, called The Richmond Weekly Intelligencer, was issued. Its name was
changed to Public Ledger, in March, 1824. This publication terminated its existence June 18th, 1828. The Richmond Palladium
was established January 1st, 1831, and The Jefferson iau in 1836. These weekly newspapers were important factors in advertising
and building up the town.

In 183S the State granted a charter to the Richmond and Brookville Canal Company. The canal was to be 34 miles
long, and to cost $5oS,ooo. Richmond people subscribed $50,000 of this stock, and nearly $45,000 was expended before unfore-
seen circumstances arrested the work. Preparations were made to renew operations on the canal in the spring of 1847, but the
great flood came on the first day of that year, a flood which wrecked the Whitewater Valley Canal, and showed the stockholders
what a great loss they had saved by the delay. This flood, and the rumors of projected railways, killed the scheme.

It was a much better move when a number of Richmond capitalists obtained from the State a charter for the Wavne
County Turnpike Company, in 1849. As soon as the charter was obtained the company went to work, and inside of a year the
road was graded, graveled and bridged through the county. It turned the great wave of western immigration in this direction,
and very often from 600 to 700 wagons, belonging to movers, passed through the town in a week. At this date, 1S50, our
population was 3,800.

Other gravel roads were rapidly constructed, and it was not long until every thoroughfare leading into the city was a
"pike," with its ever present toll-gate.

THE RAILROAD ERA

Beganln 1S53. The first railway was from Cincinnati, via Dayton. Others followed rapidly, until the means of communication,
transportation, etc., were as they are today. Four years later our population had increased to 6,126.

OUR SCHOOLS.

In nothing has our evolution been more marked than in our schools. According to the best data now obtainable, the
first school-house was built on the land of Thomas Roberts, near what is now the corner of Thirteenth and South A streets, in
1812. The first school-master was a young man from North Carolina, who hired to teach reading and writing. He was not a
great success, even in these rudimentary branches of education, and even his name is now unknown. Other instructors
followed hirn, and some of our older citizens received their first lessons in scholastic lore in this old school-house, which still
stands as a memento of the past. Jonathan Roberts, son of Thomas Rob3rts, still occupies the old home, and the log structure
in which he was taught his A, B, C's, stands on his premises as it stood 84 years ago.

From its foundation, Richmond has been an educational center. Friends were especially anxious that their children should
be instructed, and they were never niggardly in the amount they were willing to pay for this purpose. While in that early day
their schools were strictly denominational, yet the fact that nearly the whole population was of their society, made the benefit of
their efforts in this direction almost general. The}' had maintained one large school, requiring a teacher and an assistant, from
1S22 to 182S, when the two branches separated. Whatever may have been the effect of this separation, from a religious point of
view, it was a benefit in an educational way, for it established two good schools in place of one.

The first Friends' school was located near the old yearly meeting house, and the second near the junction of what is
now known as Seventh street and Fort Wayne avenue. The first noted teachers were Atticus Siddall, Elijah Coffin and
Nathan Smith. In 1823 there was a one story frame school-house on South A street, where Nathan Smith taught, and in
which the first debating society had its birth.



In 1832 Indiana Yearly Meeting of Friends bought 160 acres of land of Messrs. Cook and Stewart for educational uses.
From that time on the Quarterly Meetings composing this annual assembly were raising money by voluntary contributions and
taxation, for the purpose of establishing a Friends' boarding school on a similar basis to one at New Garden, Guilford county,
North Carolina. In almost every Quaker home there was self-denial and longer hours of toil, in order that this great work
might be satisfactorily accomplished. As a result, very creditable buildings were erected, and the boarding school was opened
in £847. Friends continued to tax themselves for its maintenance, and to increase its size and usefulness. The original plans
could not be fully carried out until in the years 1S53-54, when all the buildings were erected. It grew rapidly in importance,
and was soon furnishing the teachers for nearly all the Friends' schools in the West. About that time the free school system
began to make serious inroads on the denominational schools of the State, and Friends began to seek for a wider field of
usefulness for their beloved institution, and so, in 1859, it was chartered under the name of Earlham College, and Barnabas
C. Hobbs was chosen as its president. Since that date it has been greatly enlarged and improved, and has been liberally
endowed by wealthy members of the Society. The standard of work in its classes, its apparatus and appliances for instruction,
its constantly enlarging sphere of usefulness, and its large number of pupils make it take rank among the leading institutions of
its class in the West.

The Richmond Business College was established by William Purdy in i860. In 1862 Purdy surrendered it to Messrs.
Hollingsworth and Gundrv. They built up an enviable reputation for it, and continued in charge until 1876, when they sold it to
John K. Beck. In 1882 F. C. Fulghum bought a half interest in the institution, and O. E. Fulghum became an assistant
teacher. In 1SS7 the latter purchased Professor Beck's remaining interest. Since that date it has been known as the Richmond
Business College, and its sphere of usefulness has grown at a rapid rate. It now occupies the commodious building erected for
Friends' North A Street School, in the midst of the loveliest grounds in the city, and has all the appliances and conveniences
of a first-class business college.

The public school system was, in the earlier years, of slow growth. Although the general government had set apart the
sixteenth section of every township for school purposes, this wise measure could not produce much revenue while land was
cheap and abundant. The schools were supported by subscriptions, and, as many parents were either poor or niggardly, the
terms were short and the teachers poorly paid. The childless escaped the burden of assisting the cause of education. The
denominations generally gave an inadequate support to schools of their own, in which they fostered sectarianism. At last public
taxation was resorted to for the maintenance of schools, but for many years this step met with bitter denunciation and oppo-
sition from the wealthy and childless class, on whom it imposed the greatest burden, and from the religious bigots, who regarded
the public school as an entirely Godless institution. It was not until about 1S66 that the public began to fully rely upon a public
fund for the support of the schools. In order to make terms long enough to occupy the Winter months, subscriptions had to
be resorted to. Summer schools were wholly maintained by such subscriptions.

In 1871 there were but two public school-houses in this city. They had a seating capacity of 1,650, and the total value
of school property was estimated at $60,000. The total number of children in the city, of school age, was 3,335, of whom
2,100 were enrolled, while the average attendance was 1,514. The amount received for our public schools that year was divided
as follows: From the special fund, $11,696.55; from the tuition fund, $18,842.91, making a total of $30,539.49. The total
expenditure for school purposes was $27,071.90.

To-day we have nine large and handsome school buildings, containing seventy-five rooms, with a total seating capacity
of 2,945. The number of teachers employed is seventy -two. One of the buildings mentioned as a public school property in
1 87 1 is now known as the Finley School.



The Finley School. — It was erected in 1.S69 and cost $20,330.98. It is between Fourth and Fifth streets, on a half square
on the south side of B street. The other 1871 building is now known as

The Garfield School. — The old house was torn down in June, 1S94, and the present elegant structure erected upon its
site, being completed in March, 1S95. It fronts on North Eighth and B streets, and cost $30,000.

The Warner School — Is located in a triangular plat made by the juncture of Ft. Wayne Avenue and North C streets.
The building, furniture, etc., cost $19,893.84. It was completed, ready for occupancy, in 1886.

The Starr School. — This building was erected in 1SS3, at a cost of $22,842. It is located on the northeast corner of
North Fifteenth and C streets.

The Whitewater School — Is situated on the northeast corner of North Thirteenth and G streets, and was erected in 1SS3.
It cost, exclusive of furniture and heating apparatus, $15,814.

The Hibberd School — Is at the corner of South Eighth and F streets, and was built in 1878, at a cost of $10,939.55,
exclusive of furniture, etc.

The Vaile School — Is in a handsome building at the corner of Fourteenth and South C streets. It was erected in 1884
and cost $18,851.

The Baxter School. — This building was first occupied in January, 1895. It cost $19,500 and is located at the corner
of West Third and Randolph streets.

High School. — This magnificent building is located on the corner of South Twelfth and A streets. It was erected in [888,
and with furniture, exclusive of grounds, cost $44,200.

It will thus be seen that the cost of our school buildings, exclusive of grounds, is $203,371.37. The total revenue for
tuition for the year ending July 31, 1895, was $67,655.73. The total of special school revenue for the same year was $78,187.57.
Our schools rank as among the best in the State, and the graduate of our High School is fully equipped to enter any college in
the country.

MORRISSON-REEVES LIBRARY.

Robert Morrisson donated a lot at the corner of North Sixth and A streets for the purpose of founding a library, and also
means to place a building thereon. He named a committee of five to have charge of the institution, and put $5,000 in their
hands to expend in the purchase of books.

The library was formally opened in July, 1S64, with about 6,000 books on its shelves. Mrs. Sarah A. Wrigley, the
present incumbent, was made librarian on September 4, 1864, a position she has continuously held since that date. In 1885
the legislature, by special act, authorized the trustee of this township to make a levy of tax for the maintenance of the
library. In 1S92 Mrs. Caroline Reeves donated $30,000 to enlarge and remodel the building, and to purchase books therefor.
The beautiful structure, as it now stands, was the result.

James Morrisson, son of the founder, donated $3,150 to face the north wall of the edifice with stone, to conform to the
other portion of the building. Since the improvements thus provided for were completed, the institution has been known as the
Morrisson-Reeves Library. The report of the librarian for last year shows the following interesting facts: Circulation of books
in the library, 59,916; number of books rebound, 1,07s; number of books repaired in building, 2,500; number of bound volumes in
library, 20,577; new books added during the year, 798; number of persons to whom books were issued, 6,050; persons using
reference room, 2,107; persons using reading room, 9,314; number of periodicals in library, 25,726.



OUR CHVRCHES.

Friends.— The religious Society of Friends was organized here in 1807. Its first yearly meeting house was erected on a
block between North F and G streets and between Eleventh and Twelfth streets, in 1822, and cost $3,489.91. In 1S28 the
society divided. One branch retained the ancient name of "Friends," the other that of "Orthodox Friends." The first named
branch put up two frame buildings, one for each sex, on the block where the Warner School now stands. In 1865 it bought the
block on North A, between Eleventh and Twelfth streets, and put up the present place of worship.

The Orthodox branch has three churches here ; the Yearly Meeting house, on Main street, the South Eighth Street building, and
the Whitewater Meeting house, corner North G and Tenth streets.

Methodists.— Rev. Daniel Fraley preached the first Methodist sermon here, in 1.S14. Rev. John M. Sullivan was the first
stationed minister. Rev. Russell Bigelow formed the first class in 1S25, and the first church was built on the site of the present Fifth
street edifice, which was erected in 1851. At present the Methodist Church owns four handsome buildings, where sen-ices are regularly
held, as follows : The First M. E. Church, corner of Fourteenth and Main streets ; Grace M. E., corner of North A and Tenth streets ;
Fifth Street M. E., on Fifth street and Ft. Wayne Avenue, and the Third M. E., in West Richmond.

The . Issociate Reformed Presbyterians — Began holding occasional services in 1824. In 1S35 a pastor was located here and a house
of worship was built on South Fifth, near Main street. In 1855 the denomination changed its name to United Presbyterians. In 1866
the present commodious church was erected, on North Eleventh street.

Presbyterians. — This denomination was organized here November 15, 1S39, and built a frame church on South Fourth street in
1840. In 1854 its new church, on South Eighth street, was dedicated. In 1884 it was partially destroyed by lightning, and was then
sold to the Order of Knights of Pythias, and is now known as Pythian Temple. The handsome building at the corner of Tenth and
North A streets, known as the First Presbytsrian Church, was thsn erected. The Second Presbyterian Church is located on North
Nineteenth street.

Episcopal '.— This church, now known as St. Paul's, was organized in 1839. A portion of the present edifice was erected on the
present site in 1840. From time to time it has been enlarged and improved, and a commodious chapel and parsonage have been added.

The A. M. Li — The A. M. E. Church was organized here in 1S36, with fifty-four members. Its beautiful new church, on the
corner of South Sixth and B streets, is known as Bethel.

Congregationalists. — This denomination organized a congregation here in 1S35, which was merged into the Presbyterians in 1S39.

Swedenborgian. — This denomination began holding services here in 1854. About 1S64 it erected an edifice at the corner of South
Seventh and A streets, which was called the New Jerusalem Church. The congregation sold it to St. John's Lutheran Church, in 1892,
and now holds occasional meetings at the homes of members.

Lutherans. — St. John's Congregation was organized in 1844, and built a church on South Fourth street in 1846. This building,
greatly enlarged and improved, is still the home of the congregation. Out of St. John's church has grown St. Paul's, on South
Seventh street, and Trinity, on the corner of South Seventh and A streets.

English Evangelical Lutheran. — In 1853 this denomination built a church costing $7,000, at the corner of North A and Seventh
streets. In i860 they sold this church and lot to St. Mary's Catholic Congregation.

The First English Lutherans — Have one of the prettiest churches in the city, at the corner of South A and Eleventh streets, and
the Second English Lutheran Congregation worship in a nice, new church on West Third street.



Catholics. — St. Andrew's Catholic church was founded in 1S46. Its place of worship was a small building, corner South Fifth and C
streets. In 1859 the present church was erected. St. Mary's church was founded about 1S60. Its spacious building, at the northeast
corner of North Seventh and A streets, is not large enough for its ever increasing congregation.

We now have fourteen denominations and twenty-five houses of worship in the city, divided as follows : Friends, 1 ; Orthodox
Friends, 3 ; Methodist Episcopal, 4 ; Wesleyan Methodist, 1 ; United Presbyterian, 1 ; Presbyterian, 2 ; Episcopal, 1 ; Catholics, 2 ;
German Lutheran, 2 ; English Lutheran, 3 ; Baptist, 1 ; Christian, 1 ; African Methodist Episcopal, 1 ; Colored Baptist, 2. Rhoda
Temple is used for religious purposes, and there is a mission meeting in the northeastern portion of the citv, and a Universalist congre-
gation that worships in the Masonic building.

HOMES FOR ORPHANS.

The Wernle Orphans' Home — Was established by the joint synod of the German Lutheran church, in 1S79. It is an admirable
institution, has beautiful buildings and grounds valued at about $30,000. It is liberally supported, and maintains an excellent school for
the orphan girls and boys in its care.

The County Orphans' Home — Was established in 1S59, in an old stone house on North Fifth street. It was supported by
voluntary contributions, and the income from $io,ooo, known as the Morrisson Relief Fund. In 1SS1 the county purchassd a house
and grounds for it in Earlham place, at a cost of $6,000, and pledged it an annual income of $800 from the county treasurv. It is a
well managed institution, and maintains a good school.

HOME FOR FRIENDLESS WOMEN.

This admirable institution was founded in 1.86S, at its present site on South Tenth street. Its building and grounds cost $9,000.

Its real founders were the good women of this city, who suggested it to the Young Men's Christian Association, which consented to

father the movement while the ladies raised the required means. In 1883 the county added a department to it for a female prison, at a

cost of $1,000. With the exception of a small amount paid for the care of such prisoners, it is entirely supported bv voluntary

contributions.

THE MARGARET SMITH HOME.

Margaret Smith, an aged Christian lady, on dying, left a will providing for the founding of a home for aged women, and setting
aside a handsome sum for that purpose. The Home was located, at first, on South Fifth street, near the St. Andrew's church, but after


1 3

Online LibraryAbraham Lincoln GaryDalbey's souvenir pictorial history of the city of Richmond, Indiana : containing a historical sketch ; views of public buildings, school houses, churches, business houses, manufactories, private residences ; street, park, cemetery and river views → online text (page 1 of 3)