Copyright
Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 102 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 102 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


a share of the ferry to West Troy, at a period when the boats were operated by
horse power, subsequently purchasing an interest in the other two ferries. The
lower ferries were at that time propelled by means of long poles. Mr. Wiswall was
born in the house which he now occupies, August 19, 1846. The old mansion occu-
pies a commanding eminence overlooking Troy, and is called "Hillside." It was
also the home of his father, Ebenezer Wiswall, who was born at Newtown, Mass.,
in 1818 Most of the land surrounding the old home and comprising the original
Wiswall farm lies within the present corporate limits of West Troy. Mr. Wiswall
was liberally educated at various Massachusetts institutions, and subsequently en-
gaged in farming. In ISS.") he took up the manufacture of brick on a large scale, and
now employs thirty men in that industry.

Wiswall, Charles E., was born in West Troy, N. Y., December 13, 1884, and has
always lived here, except when his business affairs necessitate his extended absence
He is engaged in steam dredging, and is now operating in the Hudson toward Al
bany. Elsewhere in the work may be found details, not only concerning his ances
tors on the Wiswall side, but also of his mother's family, that of Edward Learned
Hoth were very early identified with West Troy and its growth and settlement, ant
perhaps of equal prominence in the early annals of the locality.

Durant, Fayette B., was born as Pittsford, Vt., in 1848, and was educated in the
grammar and high schools of Troy. He has been associated with James Roy & Co.,
of Watervliet Mills, since 1875. Previous to that time he had engaged in the insur-
ance and real estate business, having resigned in 1873 from a position as teller in the
National Bank, at West Troy, where he had been employed for eight years. He
was also for three years in the Central Bank at Troy, where his father, William C.
Durant, carae in 1855. He is a foundryman and in 1858 engaged in that business at
West Troy, where he is still located.

Arnold, jr.. Major Isaac (Ordnance Department), was born in Connecticut and
graduated from the Military Academy, June 17, 1862. He was promoted .second
lieutenant of the Second Artillery the same date and was assigned to Battery F.
He joined Battery K, Fourth Artillery, at Harrison's Landing, Virginia, and served
with the same in the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac, until after the battle of
Chancellorsville, and was present at the following engagements: Second Malvern
Hill, Chantilly, Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville, and was wounded at the latter
place. He was transferred to the Ordnance Corps. April 27, 1863; he served at
Washington Arsenal, District of Columbia, until about January 1, 1864, when he was
transferred to St. Louis Arsenal, Missouri. From that point he was detached in the
spring of 1864 and sent to Springfield. 111., to arm the one-hundred-day men. After
three or four months he was relieved from that duty and ordered to Hilton Head,
South Carolina, where he served as chief ordnance officer of the Department of the



157

South until the close of the war. Lieutenant Arnold served a short time as assistant
at AUeghenj' Arsenal, Pennsylvania, and was then assigned to the command of the
San Antonio Arsenal, Texas, and chief ordnance officer of the Department of Texas;
was promoted captain of ordnance March 7, 1867. From Texas he was ordered to
Springfield Armory, Massachusetts, as an assistant, and moved from there to Alle-
gheny Arsenal. Pennsylvania. He then took six months' leaveof absence, on expiration .
of which he was ordered to Benicia Arsenal, California ; he was ordered to Indian-
apolis Arsenal in 1878 where he remained over eight years (whilst in command of
the Indianapolis he was complimented in orders by Major-General Hancock, com-
manding Department of the Atlantic, for services rendered in the suppression of
civil disturbances following the strike of railroad employees in 1877). He was pro-
moted major of ordnance. May 29, 1879, and was then sent to command San Antonio
Arsenal, Texas, and was chief ordnance officer. Department of Texas per S. O. 236
and 261, respectively, H. Q. A. 1883, remaining there four years; he was then sent
to Fort Monroe Arsenal, Virginia, per S. O. 223, H. Q. A. 1887, where he was sta-
tioned for two years, and then assumed command of Columbia Arsenal, December
1, 1889, per S. O. 272, H. Q. A. 1889, and superintended the completion of the build-
ings constructed at that post; member of board for the purpose of considering and
reporting upon the subject of field and siege carriages, &c., per S. O. 108 of May 7,
1892; was relieved from command December 14, 1892, and assumed command of the
Watervliet Arsenal, New York, December 19, 1892, per S. O. 290 of December 12,

1892, where he is at present. Now president of board for testing rifled cannon, per
S. O. 119 of May 26, 1893.

Mayell, James H., son of Henry and Elizabeth (Northrop) Mayell, was born Feb-
ruary 5, 1856, in Albany, where his father settled about 1834. His mother died in

1893. Henry Mayell, a native of New York city, engaged in business in Albany as
a dealer in rubber goods March 1, 18.53, on the corner of State street and Broadway,
where it has ever since continued. He gradually developed a large wholesale trade
in connection with his retail establishment, and in 1880 admitted his son, James H.,
as a partner under the firm name of Henry Mayell & Son. Upon the father's death
in August, 1890, the son succeeded to the business. Henry Mayell was vice presi-
dent of the Albany City Savings Institution. James H. was educated in public
school No. 8 and since the age of nine years has been connected with the store
founded by his father. For two years he was police commissioner under Mayor
Manning. He married Miss Jennie B. Brooksby, in September, 1894.

Pratt, Aaron B., son of Silas and Lydia (Goodell) Pratt, was born in the town of
Lawrence, St. Lawrence county, N. Y., January 31, 1833. He was educated in the
common schools and was graduated from the State Normal School at Albany in 1853.
He taught school for one year and then studied law in the office of S. F. Higgins and
Robert H. Wells, of Albany. Mr. Pratt was admitted to the bar in 1854 and has
since been practicing in Albany. In 1895 he formed a partnership with E. W. San-
ford, the firm being Pratt & Sanford. Mr. Pratt is an honorary member of the Cal-
edonians and a life member of the Young Men's Association ; also a member of the
New York State Bar Association. In 1869 he was supervisor of the Third ward of
Albany, and in 1881 was a member of the New York State Assembly from the city
district of Albany. In 1857 he married Jane C. McEntee, whose son, Colonel Charles
S. McEntee, performed such gallant service in the Rebellion.



158

Tebbutt, Marshall, was born in Bedford, England, January 20. 1820, came to
America in 1852 and settled in Albany and died there April 14, 1885. He engaged
in the undertaking business with a partner, under the firm name of of Tebbutt &
Vail. This firm was succeeded in 1866 by Tebbutt & Morange and in 1870 Mr.
Tebbutt became their successor ; afterwards he admitted his sons, Marshall W. and
Harry K., who, since their father's death, have continued the business under the
style of M. Tebbutt's Sons. Mr. Tebbutt was a supervisor from the Seventh ward
and was well and favorably known by a large number of Albany's citizens. His
worth as a citizen was recognized and appreciated. He was one of the deacons of
the Emanuel Baptist church. Marshall W. Tebbutt is a member of the Masonic
order, being a 32d degree Mason and Knight Templar; he is also treasurer of De
Witt Chnton Council No. 22, and a member of Cypress Temple, Mystic Shrine. He
was married October 18, 1881, to Elizabeth Greene, of Brooklyn, N. Y. ; they have
three children living. Harry K. Tebbutt is also a Mason, and married Jennie Sims
of Albany ; he has five children.

Ten Eyck, Jacob L., was born in Albany, N. Y., July 8, 1864. When four years
of age he went to live with an uncle, after whom he was named, on the old family
homestead. His education was recived at a country district school and the public
schools of Albany. After eighteen months in Albany High School, he went to the
lumber district as tally boy for a firm, and remained one season. He then entered
the employ of T. P. Crook & Co., provision dealers, as assistant bookkeeper, where
he remained three years. While there he helped organize the Young Men's Demo-
cratic Club. He then began the study of law in the office of Messrs. Chase & Dele-
hanty. and while a student was appointed agent of the Barber Asphalt Paving Com-
pany. Through his energies Albany adopted the asphalt pavement. He attended
the Albany Law School but was admitted to the bar before graduating. He formed
a partnership with his brother-in-law, William S. Dyer, which still exists under the
firm name of Dyer & Ten Eyck, one of the leading firms of Albany. During the
session of 1895 Mr. Ten Eyck represented the Third assembly district of Albany
county m the New York State Legislature.

Sabin, W. B., M. D., was born in 1862, and was a son of Dr. Robert H. Sabin, a
well known physician who practiced here for thirty years, previous to his death
seven years ago at the age of fifty-six. Dr. Sabin in his chosen profession not only
follows that of his father, but also that of his great-grandfather, who was a noted
physician of Rockingham, Vt. He began practice in 1882, after graduating from
the Albany Medical College and taking a course at New York Post-graduate School.
He makes a specialty of the diseases of the eye and the ear, and was at one time
associated with Dr. Merrill of Albany, the celebrated specialist. Dr. Sabin is well
known in both political and social circles, and is at present one of the .school com-
missioners of West Troy. He is a Mason of the 32d degree and is past master of
Evening Star Lodge No. 75, of which he is treasurer. He is also a member of the
Albany County Medical Society and of the New York State Medical Association.
October 4, 1888, he married Miss Emma L. Dixon of Philadelphia, Pa. ; they have
one daughter named Edith.

Merrill, Cyrus Strong. M. D., son of Edward Henry and Sarah Wilson (Strong)
Merrill, was born in Bridport, Vt., September 21, 1847, received his preparatory



I



159

education under private tutelage and at Newton Academy, spent one year at Middle-
bury College, and was graduated with honor from Amherst College in 1867. In 1871
he was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York city
and soon afterward became resident surgeon to the Brooklyn Eye and Ear Hospital,
where he remained a little over a year. In 1872 he went to Europe and spent two
years yi Paris, London, Zurich, Vienna and Heidelberg, preparing himself for his
specialty, that of oculist and aurist. Returning in 1874 he settled m Albany, where
he has since resided and successfully practiced his profession, and where he was at
once appointed ophthalmic and aural surgeon to St. Peter's Hospital. Later he occu-
pied a similar position in the Child's Hospital and subsequently took charge of the
eye and ear department of the Troy Hospital. In 1876 he was chosen professor of
diseases of the eye and ear in the Albany Medical College and the medical depart-
ment of XTnion College, and ophthalmic and aural surgeon to the Albany Hospital,
which positions he has since held. He has frequently contributed valuable papers
to current medical literature, and has a wide reputation in his profession. In 1875
he married Mary E., only child of Hon. Stephen Griffin, 2d, a prominent lumber
dealer in Warrensburg, N Y.

Stevens, George H., son of George and Margaret (Browne) Stevens, was born m
Albany September 28, 1850, and attended school No. 8 and the Boys' Academy. In
1868 he entered Rutgers College and was graduated with high honors in 1872, de-
livering the valedictory. He read law in the office of Hon. Amasa J. Parker for
one year and was graduated from the Albany Law School in 1874, being one of the
commencement orators. The same year he w-as admitted to the bar in Albany. In
November. 1874. he was appointed by John M. Bailey assistant district attorney, an
office he held for three years. For about five years he was a member of the Exam-
ining Board of the Third Judicial Department, being appointed by the Supreme
Court. Being a staunch Republican he was elected alderman of the Fourteenth
ward in the spring of 1892 and re-elected in 1894, and was noted in the Common
Council for his hard work for economy, honesty, and good government. He is a
member of Ancient City Lodge No. 452, F. & A. M., Fort Orange Club, and the
Empire Curling Club, and from 1876 to 1892 was president of the Capital City Club.
He was also for several years a director of the Ridgefield Athletic Club. In 1880 he
married Mary Hand Ogden, daughter of Edward Ogden of Albany, and they have
one son, Ogden Stevens, born July 30, 1882.

Allanson, James E., is a grandson of Peter AUanson, sr., a carpenter and a native
of Leeds, England, who settled in Albany and died here. Peter Allanson, jr., father
of James E., was born in Albany, in 1811, was also a carpenter and builder and died
here in 1880. He married Jane Easterly. James E., born in Albany, October 23,
1846, was educated in School No. 8, learned the trade of carpenter and was asso-
ciated with his father until the latter's death. In 1880 he engaged in the insurance
business and was secretary of the New York State Relief Association during its ex-
istence. In December, 1888, he organized the Permanent Savings and Loan Asso-
ciation and has since been the secretary and manager. This association represents
$125,000 assets, has paid off about ¬І80,000 matured stock and has experienced a steady
growth. Its stock matures in about seven years. Mr. Allanson is a member of
Mount Vernon Lodge No. 3, F. & A. M., of which he is past master. Temple Chap-



160

ter No. 5, R. A. M., of which he is past high priest, De Witt Clinton Council No. 23,
R. & S. M., of which he has been recorder since 1872 and is the present incumbent,
Temple Coramandery No 2, K. T., past commander, Cyprus Temple N. O. M. S.,
past chief rabbin, and the Acacia Club, and was one of the incorporators and first
secretary of the Masonic Hall Association. He was supervisor of the Fifth ward in
18T4. In 1879 he married Susan J. Hewson, who died in March, 1881, leaving one
son, James E. , jr. He married second, in October, 1884, Mary C. Hitchcock, who
died in 1886, leaving a daughter, Harriet A.

Brady, John J., son of John and Ann (Farley) Brady, natives of County Cavan,
Ireland, was born in Albany on the 16th of January, 1870. He attended St. Joseph's
Parochial School and was graduated from the Christian Brothers' Academy in 1884
and from Manhattan College in 1888, taking the degree of A. B. The latter institu-
tion conferred upon him the degree of M. A. in 1892. After leaving college he spent
one year in Ireland and in 1890 entered the law ofKce of Judge John W. Walsh and
George T. Kelly. He was admitted to the bar by the General Term of the Su-
preme Court in February, 1893, and at once opened a law office with Judge Walsh
and Mr. Kelly. Mr. Brady is a ready speaker and good debater, a devoted and
constant worker for the societies of which he is a member, and in 1894 was unani-
mously elected national secretary and treasurer of the Catholic Young Men's National
Union of America, which is composed of the various Catholic clubs throughout the
country. This office he still holds, being re-elected in 1895. He is a trustee of the
Catholic Union of Albany, a member and ex-president of Cor Jesu Council No. 84,
C. B. L., ex-president of the Sacred Heart Sodality, a rr.ember of the alumni socie-
ties of Manhattan College and the Christian Brothers' Academj', and a member of
the Knights of Columbus. In the fall of 1895 he was elected on the Democratic
ticket alderman of the Ninth ward, and is leader of the Democratic majority in the
Board of Aldermen.

Eaton, Calvin W., descended from one of the oldest families of New England (see
sketch of James W. Eaton), is a son of James W. Eaton, and was born in Albany,
July 26, 1842. He was educated at the Boys' Academy and became a clerk m the
old Union Bank, where he rose to the position of teller. In 1871 he engaged in the
wholesale lumber business as a member of the firm of Van Santford & Eaton, and
thus continued until 1886, when he removed to Utica and carried on the same busi-
ness for four years. Returning to Albany in 1890 he has been engaged in the real
estate and the insurance business. He is a thirty-second degree Mason, a member
of the Masonic bodies of Albany, is past master of Masters Lodge No. 5, F. & A. M.,
and is treasurer of the Lodge of Perfection and also Sovereign Consistory. He is
treasurer of the Acacia Club, a member of the Albany Camera Club and other Albany
clubs, and was quartermaster of the 10th Regt. N. G. N. Y. under General Parker.
October 13, 1864, he married Anna F.. daughter of Amos P. Palmer of Albany, and
their children are Mary E., Alice I., James P., and Edward De L.

Walker, Edward, is one of the leading manufacturers of the city of Cohoes, and
has been a resident of this city since 1857, where he first held a position as overseer
of the spinning department in Harmony Mills. In 1875 he engaged in the business
with David Williams, under the firm name of Walker & Williams. As a manufac-
turer of cotton batting he has been located at the present factory, corner of Rensse-



I



161

laer and Courtland streets, since 1891. Mr. Walker in his busy life has little time to
devote to political matters, yet he has served five terms as alderman and is] now a
member of the Board of Health. He is of New England ancestry, and his mother
was a native of this State. He is a native of Delaware county, born in 1831, and is a
son of Horace Walker, also & native of that county and a lumberman on the Dela-
ware River in early life. Mr. Walker's early manhood was spent at his birthplace.
New Berlin and Utica. He is the father of one son and five daughters. ;, He is a
member of Cohoes Lodge No. 116, F. & A. M., and of Cohoes Chapter R. A. M.

Ball, Dr. Ogilvie D., son of Joseph S. and Freelove (Mitchell) Ball, was born at
Schuyler's Lake, Otsego county, February 4, 1840, was graduated from Hartvs'ick
Seminary in 1858 and then entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New
York city, where he remained one year. In November, 1861, he entered the U. S.
volunteer service as medical cadet, attached the 3d N. Y. Light Artillery, and in
1864 was transferred to the line of the same regiment, becoming regimental quarter-
master; later he served in various capacities, being assistant adjutant-general of
North Carolina, and was mustered out in August, 1865, with the rank of first lieu-
tenant. Returning home he re-entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons and
graduated therefrom as M. D. in 1867. He began the practice of medicine at
Schenevus, Otsego county, and served as county coroner for three years. He was a
member and for one year president of the Otsego County Medical Society. In 1874
he came to Albany, where he has since resided. He joined the Albany County
Medical Society in 1874 and has been its censor, vice-president and president. He
is a member of the New York State Medical Society and a member and past master
of Schenevus Valley Lodge No. 592, F. & A. M. ; he was also for several years con-
nected with the Albany Medical College as demonstrator of and adjunct lecturer on
anatomy. In 1871 he married Addie Van Derzee. of Trumansburg, N. Y., and they
have one daughter, Fannie D. Dr. Ball received the honorary degree of A. M. from
Union College in 1376.

Barker, James F. , M. D. , son of William and Catherine Barker, was born in Sche-
nectady, N. Y., July 1, 1851, was graduated from Union College as A. B. in 1874 and
as A. M. in 1877, read medicine with Dr. James H. Armsby, of Albany, and graduated
from the Albany Medical College in 1877 under the degree of M. D. He began the
practice of his profession in Albany the same year in partnership with Dr. Armsby,
and since 1879 has continued alone. Dr. Barker is a member and ex-vice-presidentof
the Albany County Medical Society, a member of the New York State Medical Society,
a member and senior warden of Masters Lodge No. 5, F. & A. M., a member of Capi-
tal City Chapter, R. A. M., Temple Commandery, K. T., and the Scottish Rites
bodies, a 32d degree Mason; also a member of Cypress Temple, Nobles Mystic
Shrine ; he is also a member of the Albany Unconditional Club, the Albany Club,
and the Society of the Sons of the Revolution, through his great-great-grandfather,
Lieut. Walter Switz, on his mother's side. In 1887 he married Miss May E. Evans, of
Albany.

Cooper. John L., Dr., son of Jacob L. and Mary J. (Core) Cooper, was born in
Philadelphia, Pa., March 17, 1857. He was graduated from the Philadelphia High
School in 1874, attended Pierce's Business College and the medical department of



162

the University of Pennsylvania, graduating from the latter in 1877, with the degree
of M. D. He was resident physician in the Philadelphia Hospital for a short time
after graduation and practiced in Philadelphia until 1880, when he came to Albany,
where he has since resided. He is a member of the Albany County Medical Society,
Masters Lodge No. 5, F. & A. M., Capital City Chapter No. 243, R. A. M., De Witt
Clinton Council No. 22, R. & S. M., Temple Commandery No. 2, K. T., Cypress
Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. November 3, 1880, he married Anna, daugh-
ter of MatheWjWallace of Albany, and they have two children: John L. and Eliza-
beth W.

Dyer, Zeb A., is a son of David S. , a grandson of Bradbury, and a great-grandson
or James Dyer, an Albany county farmer and a Revolutionary soldier. His mother
was Louisa Bell. The family were early settlers of Berne, Albany county, where
Zeb A. Dyer was born December 1, 1860. He received a common school education
in that town and in Albany, learned the trade of cigarmaker and was graduated
from the Albany State Normal School m 1882. He then taught school in Berne and
Guilderland and meantime read law in Albany with John B. O'Malley, and was
graduated from the Albany Law School and admitted to the bar in 1885. He at
once began active practice in the office of Isben Hess, then collector of internal
revenue, and in May, 1893, formed a copartnership with Henry S. McCall, which
still continues. He is a leading Democrat, a member of the Democratic General
County Committee and has been a delegate to several political conventions, includ-
ing the judicial convention of 1891 which nominated Hon. D. Cady Herrick for jus-
tice of the Supreme Court. He is a member of Ancient City Lodge, Temple Chap-
ter and De Witt Clinton Council of Masons; past noble grand of Friendly Union
Lodge No. 381, 1. O. O. F., of Slingerlands; a member of New York Encampment,
I. O. O. F., and of the Albany Press and Acacia Clubs; and a charter member of the
Albany Club. In 1889 he married Jessie L., daughter of John R. Adams, of Delraar,
Albany county, and they have one son, John Adams Dyer.

Ecker, Jerome W. , de.scends from one of the early families of the Schoharie valley,
one of whom was a lieutenant in the Revolutionary war. David Ecker, his father,
born in Berne, Albany county, in 1815, was a farmer and died March 17, 1896. His
wife, Mary E., daughter of Adam Saddlemire, al.so born in 1815, died in February,
1892. One of their sons. Miner, enlisted in the 62d N. Y. Vols., and died from dis-
ease contracted in the service. Jerome W. Ecker. born in Knox, Albany county,
July 21, 1847, was educated at the Knox Academy, the Albany State Normal School
and the Fort Edward Institute and was graduated from the Albany Law School and
admitted to the bar in February, 1872. He afterward continued his legal studies
with Hungerford & Hotaling and since 1877 has been in the active practice of his
profession. In October, 1862, he enlisted in Co. G, 172d N. Y. Vols., under Capt.
Morgan L. Filkins, and served ten months, participating in the siege of Port Hud-
son and the two expeditions to the Amite River. He is past officer in the subordi-
nate lodge and encampment of I. O. O. F., member of the Grand Lodge and the
daughters of Rebekah, member of Chancellors Lodge No. 58, K. of P., Albany Divi-
sion No. 2. Uniformed Rank, K. of P., the Grand Lodge of this order since 1888,
and Lewis O. Morris Post No. 121, G. A. R. June 12, 1872, he married Charlotte
ter of Jacob Kniskern of Knox, and they have had six children : Nellie G. ,



Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 102 of 138)