Frederick (died aged nine months), George W. (a student at Rutgers College, class
of 1899), Edward, Howard J. and Eva (deceased).
Greene, Dr. Frederick R., son of Warren S. and Celia (Randall) Greene, was born
June 8, 1863, in Petersburgh, N. Y. He was educated at the district school in Peters-
burgh and at Hoosick Falls Academy, and after reading medicine one year with-
Dv. L. B. Newton, of North Bennington, Vt., entered the Albany Medical College in
the fall of 1881, graduating in 1884 with the degree of M. D. He practiced in Peters-
burgh, N. Y., for a year and a half, and in the fall of 1885 located in Albany, where
he is now practicing. Dr. Greene is a member of the Acacia Club, Ancient City
Lodge No. 452, F. & A. M., Mountaineer Lodge, I. O. O. F., New York Encamp-
ment No. 1, K. P., and the Albany County Medical Society. October 6, 1886, he
married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas R. Blackburn, of Albany, and they have one
son, Frederick R., jr.
Hendnck, James, is the son of a Dutch merchant in the West India trade and on
his mother's side is of English descent. He was born in Walsall, England October
10, 1825, was brought to America when five years old, and received a private school
education in New York city. He read law in Albany and was admitted to the bar
in 1852, but in 1853 became a local insurance agent here, and m 1859 was appointed
general agent of the Liverpool & London Insurance Company, which absorbed the
Globe Insurance Company in 1864. Mr. Hendrick was general superintendent of
the Inland Navigation Department of the Mercantile Marine Insurance Company
from 1861 to 1876 and of the same department of the Orient Mutual from 1867 to 1886.
He was president of the board of Lake Underwriters, vice-president of the Atlantic
Mutual Life of Albany in 1868, president of the Albany City Fire Insurance Company
in 1868; has been connected with many industrial, mining and transportation enter-
prises as president or trustee; was associated with J. H. Ramsay, J. Pierrepont
Morgan and others in the celebrated railroad war between Fisk and Gould of the
Erie and the directors of the Albany and Susquehanna Railroads in 1867; was en-
gineer and inspector of the Third Division, New York State Militia, from 1853 to
1860; and was a member of the State Board of Charities under Governor Seymour.
Has also served as president of the Board of Trade of Albany. Latterly he has con-
fined his attention chiefly to his local insurance agency and to his extensive dairy
farm and nurseries at Fort Grove, near Albany.
Hungerford, Sidney A., is a member of an old Berne, Albany county, family, the
first of whom was John, who came from Connecticut. His father, Alexander Hun-
gerford, was born there December 23, 1823, and in 1870 removed to the foot of the
Indian Ladder road, in Guilderland, where he still resides. He had twelve children ;
Daniel, John V. S., Eleanor C. (.Mrs. Isaac B. McNary), Morgan (deceased), Lewis A.,
Barbara (Mrs. Peter F. Barkhuft), Myron, Sidney A., Isaac, Mary E. (Mrs. Jacob M.
Chesbro), Chester and Ira. Sidney A. Hungerford, born in Berne, June 11, 1858,
attended the district school, also the old State Normal of Albany, read law with John
Folmsbee and later with Hungerford & Hotaling, of Albany, and was admitted to
the bar November 23, 1883. Since 1884 he has been engaged in the active practice
of his profession, having an office at No. 50 State street. He is an active Democrat,
a member of Chancellors Lodge No. 58, K. P., and the K. O. T. M., and councillor
of Capital Council, Order of the Chosen Friends. October 28, 1885, he married Eva
A., daughter of John Furback, of New Scotland.
Jones, James, is the eldest son of William Jones, born of Welsh parentage in 1816,
who came from England to America about 1832 and soon afterward settled in Al-
bany, where he died in September, 1889, having long been engaged in the cooperage
business. Mr. Jones's mother, Ellen Cahill, of Irish descent, died in 1861, leaving
six children. Mr. Jones was born in Albany, July 4, 1839. He received a public
school education and while yet a youth became a clerk in the shoe store of George
A. Woolverton & Co. In 18T3 he acquired a partnership in the firm and in 1883 suc-
ceeded to the old firm and has successfully conducted the business alone, carrying
on a large w^holesale trade at 330 Broadway. July 29, 1875, he married Catherine,
daughter of James Dolan of Albany, and their children are James W. and Mary
La Rose, Anthime Watson, son of Anthime F. and Kate (Kappes) La Rose, of
French descent, was born December 6, 1865, in Albany, where his father settled
about 1858, coming from Canada. The latter started with his brother Peter the first
steamboat (freight) line between Albany and Troy. Mr. La Rose was educated at
the Albany Academy and in 1883 engaged in the manufacturing business with his
father. He was graduated from the Institute of Technology at Boston m 1888 and
then spent a year each with Ogden & Wright, architects, and Sullivan & Ehlers,
contractors, of Albany, receiving with the latter practical experience in iron con-
struction. January 1, 1890, he opened his present architectural office. Among the
many structures designed by him are several fine residences and manufacturing
plants and the brew house for the Dobler Brewing Company, recognized as one of
the best of its kind in the State. October 16, 1883, he enlisted in Co. D, 10th Bat.,
N. G. N. Y., was promoted first sergeant October 20, second lieutenant July 10, 1884,
and first lieutenant May 30, 1888, and resigned January 19, 1892. September 20,
1892, he was appointed assistant inspector-general with rank of major, which posi-
tion he still holds. He is a member of Wadsworth Lodge No. 417, F. & A. M.,
Temple Chapter No. 5, R. A. M., the Albany Press and Camera Club and the New
Manhattan Athletic and United Service Clubs of New York city, and an honorary
member of Delta Chapter of the Theta Xi fraternity.
Michel, Fred G., M.D.S., son of Dr. Frederick W. and Saloma (Bergman) Michel,
was born in Boonville, N. Y., July 16, 1851, and was educated in the public schools
of Utica, where the family settled about 1855. He first learned the trade of manu-
facturing jeweler with Jeremiah Gumph of Utica. March 8, 1871, he came to Al-
bany and entered the employ of H. G. Gumph. manufacturer of fine tools, with
whom he remained until 1883. He then began the study of dentistry with Dr. S. W.
Whitney, and in 1889 associated himself with Dr. H. L. Whitbeck. In 1893 he re-
ceived the degree of M. D. S., from the State Board of Examiners and in April,
1893, began the practice of dentistry alone. He is a member of Wadsworth Lodge
No. 417, F. & A. M., a charter member of William Macy Lodge No. 93, I. O. O. F.,
and was a charter member and is past chancellor of Flower Lodge No. 336, K. P.,
and was a charter member and is now commander of Albany Tent No. 363, K. O.
T. M. In 1873 he married Charity, daughter of Alanson Hitchman, of Howe's Cave,
N. Y., and they have had two children: Emily and George C, both deceased. Dr.
Michel is treasurer and trustee of All Souls Universalist church.
Smith, Dr. Charles H., was born on Madison avenue in Albany, July 14, 1830, and
is a son of John and Sarah (Capron) Smith, natives of New England, who came here
about 1810. John was a gardener and died about 1842; his wife died in 1881. Dr.
Smith read medicine with Dr. Richard H. Thompson (later health officer of the port
of New York) and was graduated from the Albany Medical College in 1854. Soon
afterward he was appointed resident physician to the Albany County Alms House,
where he had charge of the cholera patients during that memorable year. The last
case in the institution was his own. After recovering he obtained through Dr.
Thompson an appointment as physician and surgeon on Marshall O. Roberts' steam-
ship line from New York to Havana, New Orleans and Aspinwall. He continued in
this capacity for four years, acquiring a large experience in the treatment of yellow
and other southern fevers, and returning to Albany in 1859 he has since practiced
his profession. In 1864 and 1865 he was acting assistant surgeon in the Ira Harris
U. S. General Hospital, located at the old barracks in Albany county. In 1859 he
opened a drug store, which he has since continued, and which has been located at
246 Washington avenue since 1866. Dr. Smith has been a member of the Albany
County Medical Society since about 1855, was president of the Albany County Phar-
maceutical Association at one time, has served in the old volunteer fire department,
and in Co. F, 10th Battalion, N. Y. N. G., was supervisor of Thirteenth ward for six
terms, and was president of the Albany Busine.ss Men's Association for one year.
He is now serving his third year as a member of the Albany Board of Health. In
1867 he married Lucy, daughter of John Blair of Albany, and they have four chil-
dren: Dr. James E., a graduate of the Albany Academy and the Albany Medical
College, inspector of rifle practice in the Tenth Battalion, and a practicing physician
with his father; Lucy E., a graduate of the Albany Female Academy, the Albany
State Normal College, and the Woman's College of Baltimore. Md. ; Charles H., jr.,
a student of pharmacy associated with his father: and Charlotta J., a student at the
Woman's College of Baltimore.
Toedt, Emanuel B., son of John C, was born in New York city, October 22, 1857,
and was prepared for college, but in 1873 entered the New York office of Fairbanks
& Co., where he remained eight years. He has ever since been connected with this
well-known firm, rising from the humblest to a high post in their employ. In 18X0
he came to Albany to take charge of their books and in 1882 was made manager of
this branch, which position he still holds. The business of the Albany house was
comparatively small when Mr. Toedt assumed charge, but he has successfully in-
creased it eightfold. Since 1890 it has been conducted under the name of the Fair-
banks Company, incorporated. This is the largest scale and mill, factory and rail-
road supply business in this section of the State, and its growth and prosperity are
largely due to Mr. Toedt's able management. He is a member of the Fort Orange
Club and an associate member of the American Institute of Mining Engineers. In
February, 1889. he married Miss Lucy, daughter of Samuel M. Yan Santvoord of
Albany, and they have one daughter, Marian Van Santvoord Toedt.
Whitbeck, Theodore H., D. D. S., of Holland Dutch descent, is a member of an
early Coeymans, Albany county, family, the first of whom was Thomas Whitbeck
and his son John T. Thomas, son of John T., married Rachel A. Garrett and they
were the parents of Dr. Whitbeck, who was born near Coeymans. March 31, 1869.
The latter was educated in the public schools and under private tutelage, studied
dentistry with his brother, Dr. Henry L. of Albany, and received the degree of
D. D. S, from the dental department of^ the University of Pennsylvania in 1891.
Since then he has been engaged in the active practice of his profession in Albany.
He is a member of the Third District Dental Society and of the Albany Press Club.
He is also a knight of the Essenic order.
Walker, John M., descends from the Walker and Burt families, early settlers of
New England, son of Samuel and Mary (Burt) Walker, born m Springfield, Mass.,
June 27, 1838. He was educated at the Springfield Academy and in April, 1861, en-
listed on the first call for troops, in Co. F, 2d Conn. Vols., for three months. He
continued in the service until the war closed as United States inspector of contract
arms, under the War Department, and in 1865 became a traveling salesman for
Milton, Bradley & Co., publishers, of Springfield, Mass., with whom he remained
until January, 1874, when he came to Albany. In November, 1875, he founded the
present business of the Hudson Valley Paper Company, and in 1876 Andrew B.
Jones became his partner. They do an extensive wholesale business in paper, sta-
tionery and printers' supplies. Mr. Walker is a Republican and a member of George
Dawson Post No. 63, G. A. R. In January, 1879, he married Lucy P., daughter of
Charles C. Russ of Albany.
Balch, Lewis, M. D., Ph. D., of English and French ancestry, and eldest son of
Rev. Lewis P. W. Balch, D. D., and Anna Jay, was born in New York city July 7,
1847. His father, born in Leesburg, Va., in 1810, died in Detroit, Mich., while rector
of Grace Episcopal church, in 1874, was for three years a cadet at West Point, was
educated at Princeton College, and for fifteen years was secretary of the House of
Bishops of the United States. His grandfather, Hon. Lewis P. W. Balch, of Lee-
town, Va., was a volunteer at Fort McHenry in the war of 1812, and afterward a
United States judge, and was the son of Rev. Stephen Bloomer Balch, born in 1740,
a graduate of Princeton College in 1774, pastor of a church at Georgetown, D. C,
and died in 1833. Dr. Balch's mother was a daughter of Hon. William Jay, the
second son of John Jay, and a judge of Westchester county, N. Y., one of the founders
of the American Bible Society, and a prominent anti-slavery advocate and died
October 14, 1858. John Jay was the first chief justice of the U. S. Supreme Court,
governor and chief justice of New York, minister to Spain, and a celebrated factor
in national histor)-. Dr. Balch was educated at the Maryland Institute in Baltimore,
the Berkely Institute in Newport, R. I., the Vermont Episcopal Institute in Burling-
ton, and the medical department of McGill University at Montreal. He was grad-
uated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York city in March, 1870,
served at different times in the Montreal General Hospital, the old New York Ho.s-
pital on Broadway, the Children's Hospital on Ward's Island, and the Brooklyn City
Hospital, and began practice in New York, where he was appointed attending sur-
geon to the Northern Dispensary. In 1873 he came to Albany, where he has since
resided and practiced medicine. He has been attending surgeon to St. Peter's Hos-
pital and the Albany City Hospital and surgeon to the Child's Hospital and the Hom-
oeopathic Hospital. In 1876, on the reorganization of the Albany Medical College,
he was appointed professor of anatomy in that institution. He was appointed by
Hon. A. B. Banks a district physician, city physician, and health officer of Albany,
and became secretary of the State Board of Health in 1886. Soon afterhis gradua-
tion he entered service in the National Guard and was promoted to the post of sur-
geon. In 1870 he married Miss Jane B. Swann, a niece of Governor Swann, of
Maryland, and they have one son, born in 1872.
Cook, Hon. John T., was born in Albany, February 22, 1854, and is the eldest
child of John and Martha Cook. His father, a native of Boston, Lincolnshire, Eng-
land, came to this country and settled in Albany in 1848. John T. Cook was edu-
cated at the public schools of his native city and in the autumn of 1868 entered the
"Albany Free Academy, ' now Albany High School, where he remained about a
year. After learning a trade he, in 1876, entered the office of Smith, Bancroft &
Moak as a clerk and student at law and prosecuted his studies until 1879, when he
was admitted to the bar at the January term of the Supreme Court. He remained
with Smith, Moak & Buchanan, the survivors of the old firm, until the spnng of
1884, when he established an office for the general practice of his profession. He
has edited the "Eastern Reporter" and " English Reports," and in connection with
Irving Browne, then editor of the Albany Law Jouraal, he engaged in preparing
Weed, Parsons & Co's. edition of the reprint of the 'New York Court of Appeals Re-
ports, which is still under his charge. His annotated edition of the Penal Code and
the Code of Criminal Procedure of New York State is held in high estimation by the
legal profession. The Albany Law Journal says: " Mr. Cook is one of the most ex-
perienced, industrious, and capable law editors in this country and in these two vol-
umes gives admirable evidence of comprehensive research and accurate discrimina-
tion." He has a choice library containing 2,000 volumes, besides a select private
collection of books on general literature. Mr. Cook is the present assistant district
attorney of Albany county, and in 1894 represented the Se\'enteenth ward in the
Common Council of 1894-96.
Eaton, James Webster, son of James W. Eaton, was born in Albany, May 14, 1836.
His lineage is traced to John and Anne Eaton, who in 1634 settled in Salisbury and
afterward in Haverhill, Mass., where the family lived for several generations. John
Eaton was a soldier in the settlement of Haverhill. Ebenezer Eaton, the great-
grandfather of James Webster Eaton, served in the Revolutionary war under his
brother, Capt. Timothy Eaton. James W. Eaton was graduated from the Albany
Boys' Academy in 1875 and from Yale University in 1879; in the latter year he be-
gan the study of law in Columbia Law School, which he left in May, 1880, to become
professor of Latin in the Albany Boys' Academy, which position he held until his
admission to the bar in 1882. In 1883 Mr. Eaton formed a copartnership with George
W. Kirchwey, a former Yale classmate, which continued until July, 1891. In the
following autumn he was nominated by the Democrats and elected district attorney
of Albany county and held that office until January 1, 1895. He has been instructor
in the department of evidence and contracts of the Albany Law School for some
years, and is engaged in active practice at the bar of his native city. As a lawyer
he is strong in argument, candid and successful; he is strong at nisi prius, still
stronger before the court in banc. It is said that in some respects his characteristics
resemble those of the late Judge Ambrose Spencer. He is a member of Masters
Lodge No. 5, F. & A. M., the Fort Orange Club and other organizations of Albany.
July 18, 1894, he married Mrs. Hortense Willey Vibbard, of Dansville, N. Y.
Andrae, M., treasurer and manager of the American Soap and Washoline Com-
pany, was born in 1846 in Germany and came to this country in 1856, and took up
his residence in Cohoes and after a short time went to Canada. He returned to
Cohoes in 1860, and in 1861 enlisted in Co. D, 88th N. Y. Vols. Throughout
McClellan's campaign he braved the hard.ships and privations of a soldier's life, and
then served aboard the United Stales Ironclad Roanoke. After leaving the gunboat
he was honorably discharged in April, 1864. The next September he enlisted in Co.
A, 175th N. \'. Vols., serving until the close of the war. Returning here he engaged
in the meat market business until 1888, then entered the American Soap and Washo-
line Company at its reorganization. This important industry increased under his
able management. They employ many men, and 100,000 pounds of soap can be
produced weekly, which finds a ready sale from Maine to Oregon among manufac-
turers. A member of the Cohoes Lodge, F. & A. M., since 1869; member of N. G.
Post Lyon, No. 43, G. A. R., director of the Fairview Home for Friendless Children,
Watervliet, N. Y., since its organization; director of the Mohawk and Hudson River
Humane Society since its organization ; vestryman of St. John's Episcopal church for
nine years, and warden for seventeen years; a member of Diocesan Convention of
Albany for twenty-six years.
Dodge, William T., president of the Cohoes Saving Institution, and for more than
thirty years the leading insurance agent of the city. Mr. Dodge was born in Berlin,
Vt., in 1839. He was of Pilgrim ancestry, inheriting the sterling qualities of heart
and hand characterizing those founders of a noble race. He is emphatically a self-
made man, though so trite a phrase does bare justice to a bank president who began
with a common school education, and who spent his early manhood on the farm
where he was bom, and later as a factory operator. Mr. Dodge became a resident
of Cohoes in 1852, and in 1860 he married Miss Sarah Maria Steenburg, who left at
her death in 1883, one daughter, Carolina Jane Dodge. In 1855 he embarked in
business in the flour and feed line, and in 1862 in insurance and real estate busi-
ness, and has for not less than twenty-eight years occupied his present office at
Mohawk and Ontario streets; for nearly forty j'ears he has been a member of the
M. E. church. He was deputy sheriff of Albany county from 1873 to 1875, and
alderman from 1878 to 1880. In 1873 he was elected a trustee of the Cohoes Savings
Institution, and in 1877 a director of the National Bank of Cohoes.
Featherstonhaugh, J. D., M. D., one of the most scholarly and eminent of the med-
ical profession of Cohoes. He was born at Washington, D. C, in 1845. His father
was James D. Featherstonhaugh, a civil engineer. Dr. Featherstonhaugh's boy-
hood was passed in France and England, where he received his preliminary edu-
cation. Returning to America he entered Union College at Schenectady in 1863,
graduating four years later with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. He at once began
the study of medicine in the office of the late A. M. Vedder of Schenectady, and was
graduated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of the City of New York in 1870,
and began the practice of his profession during the same year at Cohoes. He has
taken an active part in educational matters and in municipal government, having
served for a number of 5'ears as curator to the Albany Medical College, as school
commissioner for several terms, and is at present secretary of the Public Improve-
ment Commission of Cohoes. The doctor is a member of the Albany County Medi-
cal Society, and also of the State organization. He was married in 1892 to Caroline
M. Johnston, daughter of the late Robert Johnston, of Cohoes.
McGarrahan, John F., M. D., began his successful practice in his native city. Co-
hoes. He was born there in 18T3 and is the son of Michael McGarrahan, super-
intendent of a wool store in Troy, and was educated at Egberts High School, and
at eighteen years of age he began the study of medicine with Dr. J. H. Mitchell of
Cohoes, with whom he was associated for three years. He entered Albany Med-
ical College in 1891. graduating with high honors in 1894, receiving the Boyd
prize in obstetrics. He began practicing his profession July 7, 1894, opening an
office at 73 Vliet street, where he still continues his practice. He is acting physician
for the Knights of Columbus, of which he is a member, also for the C. M. B. A., and
as.sociate member of the Medical Society of Troy and Vicinity. On September 33.
1895, he was married to Mary A. Cooley, daughter f)f John and Kate Cooley, long
residents of Cohoe.s. He has one son, John.
Mott, R. H., a prominent merchant of Cohoes, came here when thirteen years old
with his father, B. D. Mott, a tinsmith, and began the tinsmithing business with
him in 1883, as B. D. Mott & Son, store and shop at No. 173 Remsen street At the
death of the father in 1885 this firm was dissolved, then continued as R. H. Mott
until 1888. when he bought out the furniture business at No. 73 Oneida street of T.
P. Hildreth, late of Cohoes, whose daughter Mr. Mott married in 1884. This store
was enlarged and remodeled, making it one of the most modern establishments in
the city, carrying a fine stock of house furnishing goods, draperies, crockery, car-
pets and oil cloth, hardware, stoves and ranges. There are four floors, two of them
100 feet deep, filled with choice goods and operated with all modern methods. The two
younger brothers associated with Mr. Mott are G. F. and Dudley B. ; the firm is
now R. H. Mott & Bros. Mr. Mott was born at Fort Edward, N. Y., in 1860.
Speir, Stuart G., was born in West Milton. Saratoga county, N. Y., May 29, 1847.
His father was Robert Speir, a prominent, influential representative citizen, well
known to business men throughout the State. His mother is Elizabeth Vedder
Speir of this city. In 1876 he married Ida Cutler, an Albany lady ; they have a family
of four children : Mabel R., Grace E., Ruth E. and William Stuart. All are members
of the Madison Avenue Dutch Reformed church, except William, the youngest. Mr.
Speir is deacon in this church. In early life Mr. Speir mastered the rudiments of a
common school education, graduated from the Ballston Academy in 1862, and from
Eastman's Business College, at Poughkeepsie, in 1866. Being an expert bookkeeper
he was appointed assignee by the courts to settle several large estates during 1866,
1867 and 1868. The largest of these was that of Edward C. Koonz, wholesale and