Copyright
Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 107 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 107 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


bour) the great-grandfather, was a native of France. Gideon, the grandfather, was
born in Dutchess county. He was a lifelong and successful farmer, and spent the
last thirty-five years of his life in Berne, where he conducted a farm. His wife was
Polly Nelson, and their children were Jesse, Nelson, Charles, Darius, John and
Roxie. He died in 1874 and his wife died in 1868. Charles, the father, was born in
Berne in May, 1825. He was also a lifelong farmer in the town of Berne and Wes-
terlo, but now resides in Berne. His wife was Amanda M., youngest daughter of
twenty-four children born to Richard Filkins by two wives, one of whom was
Catherine Angell. The children of Charles and Amanda Barber were Morgan
F.. Oliver J., Sanford H., Perry D. (who died when quite young), Frank, Ida
E., Arthur (who died when young), Loren C, Jennie E., who died when eighteen
years of age, and Fred. Morgan F. was reared to farm life and received his
education in the old Filkins school house in Berne. When sixteen years of age
he began for himself by working at farm work, which he followed until twenty-
two years of age, with the exception of one year spent at carpentry; being
of a speculative turn of mind he then turned his attention to speculating in various
things, such as produce, stock, horses, agricultural implements, fruit, nursery stock,
etc., which he has continued to the present time. In 1877 he removed to the village
of Clarksville and owns a farm and cultivates many varieties of fruits. In 1892 he
established a beer bottling business in Clarksville, is also agent for several large
breweries, and is a jobber in cigars, doing a general wholesale business. During
his nineteen years' residence in this town, seventeen of them have been spent in
public office. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Berne Lodge No. 684. In
1871 he married Ruth Emma, born in Westerlo in 1853, a daughter of Nathaniel and
Christina (Wright) Newberry, by %vhom eleven children were born: Lillian, Ida,
Evelyn, Lora and Cora (twins), Herman, Eugene, Lucy, Clyde, Morgan and Clifton.
Mr. Barber was one of the original promoters and stockholders of the Clarksville
and Furabush telephone line and is now one of the directors of the company.

Becker. Howard, was born in Albany and is the son of Aaron, grandson of Aaron
and great-grandson of Frederick Becker, who with his father, Frederick Becker,
came to Houck's Corners when a boy and died there, leaving three sons: Christopher,
Peter and Aaron. Howard Becker came to the farm where he now lives, near
Jerusalem, with his father in 1857, where they are farmers.

Barckley, Edward L., was born in the town of Knox, June, 1842. Michael Barck-
ley, his great-grandfather, was a native of Germany, and migrated to America^
setthng in the town of Guilderland, a pioneer. Evert Barckley, his grandfather,
was born in Guilderland and spent his life as a farmer, and died there in 1826. He
had one son and several daughters. Henry, the father of Edward Barckley, was
born in the town of Guilderland in 1816, and in early life followed blacksmithing.



i



191

He subsequently settled in the village of Knox and owned a farm joining the vil-
lage In 1856 he opened a store and engaged in general mercantile business, but
still operated his farm; being a man of good judgment and of unusual business
ability, he accumulated a large property. In politics he was iirst a Whig and later
identified himself with the Republican party. He was elected town clerk and rep-
resented his town on the Board of Supervisors for two terms, and was postmaster
for a number of years. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
His wife was Magdalene, daughter of Aaron Livingston of Guilderland, and they
had two children, Michael and Edward L. ; the former was lieutenant in Co. K, 7th
N V Heavy Artillery: he was wounded at the battle of Cold Harbor and died from
the effects of his wound. Henry Barckley was a member of the Dutch Reformed
church in which he was elder, an active worker and a liberal supporter; his wife
survives him and lives with her son. Edward L. Barckley received his education
in the Knox Academy. He remained at home and assisted his father in the store
and on the farm, receivmg thus a thorough and practical education. Years before
the death of his father he assumed full control of his father's business and now owns
the farm of 135 acres and store property. For many years Mr. Barckley has been
prominently identified with the Republican party and is a recognized leader of that
party in his town. The years of 1885, '86 and '87 he represented his town on the
Board of Supervisors, in 1895 received the appointment of penitentiary commissioner
and was postmaster under Harrison. In November, 1896, his party honored him
with the election of treasurer of Albany county. He has often represented his dis-
trict as a delegate to the County, Assembly and State Conventions. November 22,
1865, he married Miss Eunice, daughter of Alvah and Amanda (Tyler) French, and
they have one child, Grace.

Merriman Willis E., son of Harmon N. and Emeline (Chambers) Merriman, was
born in Carbondale, Pa., May 4, 1843. His father was a lawyer, a graduate of the
Albany Law School, and captain of Co. H, 177th Regt. N. Y. Vols., that went from
Albany, N. Y. He was severely wounded at the first attack on Port Hudson. May
27 1863, and died at sea while being brought home. On the maternal side, Mr.
Merriman is descended from the Lees who lived in Connecticut and who came to
America shortly after the arrival of the Puritans. Mr. Merrimau's parents removed
to Albany N. Y. , in 1847, and he was educated at the Albany Academy and Anthony's
Classical' institute. After completing his education, he obtained a clerkship in the
office of Surgeon-General S. O. Van Der Poel, M. D., April 19, 1861. He remained
there until the close of the war, and on January 1, 1866, was appointed confidential
clerk to State Comptroller Hillhouse, which position he held ten years. In 1876 he
was appointed warrant clerk, the principal financial office, and served in that capacity
until the creation of the office of second deputy, to which position he was appointed
in January. 1895, by Comptroller Roberts. Mr. Merriman has been employed in the
State comptroller's office thirty-one years, and in point of term of service, he is one
of the oldest employees of the State. Since 1884 he has been a member of the Gen-
eral Board of Examiners of the State Civil Service. He served thirteen years as a
member of Co. A, 10th Bat., N. G. N. Y., was a charter member of the Old Guard,
Mbanv Zouave Cadets, and has held the offices of secretary and vice-president of
same ' He is also a member of the Royal Arcanum and the Albany Club. January



192

21, ISTf', he married Helen M. Clark, dauj;hter of Francis Clark of Albany. They
have two sons: Willis E., jr , and Porter Lee.

NtchoUs, H. A. — Among the business places of Coeynians village the furniture
store of NichoUs & Robbins has supplied a long-felt want. Mr. Nicholls was born
in Massachusetts and in early life went to Michigan. He returned and after grad-
uating from Stamford (N. Y.) Academy in 1885, taught school until 1891, when he
was compelled to retire from that field through ill-health. After spending some time
in Coeynians he opened the above-mentioned furniture store, where is carried on a
general furniture and undertaking business. S. L. Robbins was born in Greene
county, N. Y. His early days were spent on a farm up to the time of his joining in
business with Mr. Nicholls. He graduated after a thorough course of instruction
from the Champion College of Embalming in the class of '96. Both partners are
men of good standing and possess excellent business qualifications.

Van Slyke, G. W., & Horton.— George W. Van Slyke, son of Peter B. and Sarah
(Covert) Van Slyke, both of Holland Dutch descent, was born in New Baltimore. N.
Y., September 5, 1831, and moved to Stuyvesant, N. Y., with his parents in 1839.
His first American ancestor, Willeni Pieterse Van Slyke, settled in Beverwyck as
early as 1628. Mr. Van Slyke was an engineer in a lumber mill for six years and
later a general merchant in New Baltimo-re until 1868, when he came to Albany and
engaged in the manufacture of cigars under the firm name of Gee & Van Slyke. Mr.
Gee retired in 1870 and Mr. Van Slyke continued the business with slight changes in
the firm name until 1880, when Wallace N. Horton was admitted under the style of
G. W. Van Slyke & Co. In 1889 the present name of G. W. Van Slyke & Horton
was adopted. Mr. Van Slyke died August 11, 1891, and since then his widow has
represented his interest in the business, which is one of the best known of its kind
in the country. The firm employs about 175 people and has developed an extensive
trade as manufacturers and jobbers of fine cigars." Mr. Van Slyke was a director in
the First National Bank, a founder, director and vice-president of the Homestead
Savings and Loan Association, an original incorporator and president of The Pure
Baking Powder Company, a member of the Holland Society of New York and the
Albany Club, a trustee of the Madison Avenue Reformed church and president of
the board from 1888 till his death, and president of the consistory of that body. In
September, 1864, he married Georgianna Parsons of New Baltimore, who died in
November, 1865. He irarried second, Februarys, 1870, Mary E.. daughter of Rich-
ard T. and Margaret (Bailey) Hoag, of Albany, who survives him. They had two
sons, George W. and William H., twins, born January 3, 1873, both graduates of
Yale University, class of 1895.

Batchelder, Robert C, son of Rev. Daniel and Lydia (Porter) Batchclder, was born
in the State of Maine, the county and town of Knox, July A, 1856. His father died
when he was three years old. Young Batchelder, when old enough to attend school,
had to walk three miles, that being the nearest school. At the age of ten years he
had to help work the farm and attended school only in winters. He graduated from.
Freedom Academy in 1871 ; he then took entire charge of the farm for three years,
at the end of which time, with his mother's con.^ent, he started out for himself ; in
the spring of 1874 he arrived in the city of Boston, that being the next year after
the great financial panic. Po.sitions were hard to obtain ; and although young



I



103

Batchelder was used to hardships and disappointments, yet after a constant effort
for over four weeks without obtaining any thing to do, lie was the nearest discour-
aged of any time of his life; he, however, obtained a good position. In 1876 he
went to Worcester, Mass., and engaged in the coal and wood business, and in one
year had established a good trade. In 1877 he sold out his business there to his
brother-in-law, B. F. Wiggins, and came to Albany and located in the same business
at 82 and 84 Arch street. In the year 1873 Mr. Batchelder married Miss Lizzie P.
Hungerford. lu 1883 he removed his business and took possession of the old estab-
lished coal yards, 697 Broadway, e.\tending through to Montgomery street. In the
fall of 1884 his yards were destroyed by fire. Early the next year he formed a part-
nership with Robert A. Wallace; they carried on the coal and wood business until
1888, when Mr. Batchelder bought out Mr. Wallace's interest and has since that time
carried on the business at 774 Broadway and dockyard foot of Livingston avenue.
In 1893 Mr. Batchelder built a large factory at Hawkesbury, Ont., for manufactur-
ing kiln-dried bundle wood, from which point large quantities are shipped to the
jirincipal New England cities as well as Albany and Troy. In the spring of 1894 he
associated with him in business Mr. Joseph C. McClelland. Mr. Batchelder is a
man of pronounced opinion and prompt action, a firm believer in having proper re-
gard for the rights of others as well as to maintain his own rights. He admires
men of good deeds and thinks that Genl. Grant ivas the good, great man in the
truest sense; he believes that C M. Depew will go down in history as the greatest
orator of this or any other age, and that he should be honored for the fairness with
which he discusses all matters. Mr. Batchelder is a member of Ancient City Lodge
F. & A. M., Capital Chapter R. A. M., and Temple Commandery No. 2,K. T.

Burdick, Norman, is descended from an old Rhode Island family, his grandfather
being Elkanah Burdick, of Granville, N. Y., born Augu.st 6, 1771, died April 21
1832, who married Martha Worden. His father, Joseph Uriah Burdick, of Dexter
Me., born in 1808, married Cynthia Morgan. Mr. Burdick was born in Middletown
VI., June 2, 1834, received a common school education, learned the trade of iror
niolder in Amheist, N. H., and came to Albany in 1864 as superintendent for Shear,
Packard & Co., stove manufacturers. He continued with them and their successors,
Perry & Co., in the foundry, until 1871, when he became traveling salesman for the
latter firm. From 1877 to 1881 he had charge of the foundry at Sing Sing prison
in 1881 he engaged in the manufacture of patent stove specialties in that city, and
in 1883 moved the business to Albany. In 1885 his son, Bainbridge W., became his
partner under the present firm name of Burdick & Son, and in 1888 they moved the
establishment from Green street to the corner of Liberty and Division streets, where
it is now located. The firm also has a .slate quarry at Hampton, N. Y., and a large
stock farm of about 500 acres at the same place, where they breed fine trotting
horses. Mr. Burdick has always been a Republican. He is a member of Custus
Morum Lodge, I. O. O. F., and Post Lull, G. A. R., both of Milford. N. H., and is a
member and past master of Benevolent Lodge, No. 7, F. & A. M., also of Milford.
lie IS a member of all Masonic bodies of New Hampshire except De Witt Clinton
Council, Temple Commandery and Cyprus Temple, of Albany. He is a charter
member of the Acacia Club and a member of the Albany Republican Unconditional
Club. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. C, 4th N. Y. Vols., was promoted second lieutenant



104

and served until 1864, when he was iumoralily discharged for disability. He married
Mary V., daughter of Otis R. Fisher, of Wilton, N. H., and they have two children :
Bainbridge W. and Ethel (Mrs. Elmer E. Wygant), both of Albany. Bainbridge
Winfield Burdick, born in Amherst, N. H., February 13, 1864, is a member of Wads-
worth Lodge, No. 417, F. & A. M., of all the Odd Fellow bodies, of the Republican
Unconditional Club and of the Albany Burgesses Corps.

Springer, J. Austin, son of Adrian Oliver and Jeanette (Squire) Springer, was
born in Utica, N.Y., January 11. 1870. In 1878 his parents moved to Albany, N.V.,
where he was educated in the public and high schools. Music being his aim, and
with a determination to devote his whole time to its study, he left the High School
in the winter of 1888 and placed himself under the instruction of Dr. Jeffery and
John Kautz for piano and Samuel Belding for organ. In June, 1895, Mr. Springer
went to New York to further pursue the study of the piano under William Mason,
Mus. Doc, A. C. M., who is recognized as America's greatest pianoforte teacher.
At the present time he still continues his studies under the valued tutelage of this
great master. In the spring of 1888 he received his first charge in the capacity of
assistant organist of All Saints' Cathedral, Albany, N. Y., which position he held
during the summer of that year during Dr. Jeffery's absence in Europe. The fol-
lowing year he was appointed organist of St. Luke's Epi.scopal church at Cambridge,
N. Y. In 1889 he went to the First M. E. church at Lansingburgh, N. Y., where he
held the position of organist for three years. His next charge was at the North Re-
formed church of West Troy, N. Y., and in September, 1894, he was appointed or-
ganist and director of music in the First M. E. church of Albany, N. Y. In Novem-
ber, 1896, Mr. Springer was chosen out of eighteen applicants to be the organist of
the State Street Presbyterian church of Albany, which position he still holds, giving
eminent satisfaction in that capacity. On June 13 1890, Mr. Springer was married
to Olive G. Robertson of Albany. He has won for himself distinction as a piano-
forte instructor and exponent of Dr. Mason's method. The "Springer Musicales,"
which are given every season by his pupils, show evidence of his conscientious work
in this department. During the season of 1896-97 he has given a series of lecture
musicales to his pupils on the "Principle of Devitalization as Applied to Artistic
Piano Playing," and the " Lives and Works of Famous Composers." Mr. Springer
has written many compositions for the piano and voice, his works having been ren-
dered by such organizations as Gilmore's, Sousa's, and the United States Marine
Band of Washington. His latest work, a " Valse Caprice," has been heard in con-
cert and pronounced to be a work of decided originality with rich harmonica! treat-
ment. He has also dedicated a "Slumber Song" to Mrs Olivia Shafer of Albany,
and a "Lullaby" to Town.send H. Fellows, solo baritone of Grace church. New
York.

Beutler, William F., was born December 15, 1852, m Albany, and is a son of Frank
Benjamin and Susannah (Stoehr) Beutler, both of whom came here from Prussia,
Germany, in 1848. Mr. Beutler received a public schbol education and at the age of
eleven years entered the law office of Ira Shafer and Jacob H. Clute, the latter being
county judge of Albany county. In the fall of 1864 Alonzo B. Voorhees formed a
copartner.ship with Mr. Shafer, and Mr. Beutler continued with the firm until it dis-
solved in 1867 by the removal of Mr. Shafer to New York city. He then remained



i



195

with Mr. Voorhees, and the firm of Voorhees & Norton, until his admission to the
bar in 18T4, when he formed a copartnership with David J. Norton, as Norton &
Beutler, which continued until 1888, and since then he has practiced alone. He was
assistant district attorney in 1878, 1879 and 1880 and assistant corporation counsel
from June, 1883, to May. 1884, and was long a member of the Unconditional Repub-
lican Club, of which he was president in 1886. June 25, 1884, he married Adeline
B., daughter of John W. Bartlett of Chelsea, Mass., and they have one daughter,
Annie Louise, born March 8, 1886.

Wood, Levi, was born in New Scotland in 1842. Gideon Wood, his grandfather,
was a native of Cape Cod, Mass., born in 1778, a wheelwright by trade, and a manu-
facturer of spinning-wheels. He came to the town of Westerlo, Albany county,
about 1806, and devoted his time to farming and the manufacture of spinning-
wheels. His wife was Jerusha Atkins, by whom he had four children: Uriah,
Arnold, Anna and Elizabeth. He died in 1861, aged eighty-three years. Arnold
Wood, the father, was born in the town of Westerlo in 1806. He devoted his early
life to teaching and later followed farming; he removed to the town of New Scot-
land in 1836, where he became fairly well-to-do. His wife was Mary Spencer, born
in Rhode Island in 1806, and a daughter of Anthony, and a cousin of Senator
Anthony Spencer. Their children were William, Levi, Ameha, Charles and Ann
Eliza; the latter died when three years old. Arnold Wood died in 1891, and his
wife resides in New Scotland on the homestead with her son Charles. Levi Wood
received a very fair education, attending the common schools and the Albany Nor
mal. He remained on the farm until he was twenty-one. His first enterprise was
the grocery business, which he established on the corner of Bear and William streets,
Albany, in partnership with Mr. Underbill, under the firm name of Underbill
& Wood. Here he remained for seven years; the four following years were
spent in Connecticut, engaged in the manufacture of paper, when he returned to
Albany and again engaged in the grocery business at the same location, but this
time for himself. He remained here for eight years when he again embarked in the
P3.per manufacturing business in New Baltimore, Greene county, N.Y. In 1892 he
came to the village of Voorheesville and engaged in the mercantile business, which
he conducts at the present time. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Temple
Lodge No. 14 of Albany, and of the Odd Fellows, Voorheesville Lodge. In 1863
he married Harriet A. Martin, born in New Scotland, and a daughter of William
and Mary A. (Moak) Martin, and their children are Mary Ella, wife of Dr. W. F.
Shaw of Voorheesville, and Frank W., with the National Express.

Chapin, Josiah D., son of Josiah B. and Caroline (Peck) Chapin, was born in
Springfield, Mass., June 13, 1842, and moved with his parents to Albany about 1848
and subsequently to Troy, N. Y. , where lie received a public school education. lie
also attended the Quincy Grammar School at Boston and Bryant & Stratton's Busi-
ness College in Albany. In 1861 he became a clerk in the wholesale and retail
clothing store of Davis, Craft & Wilson, with whom he remained until the firm was
dissolved in 1870. He then continued with R. C. Davis & Co., clothiers, till 1876.
and afterward was engaged in the merchant tailoring business in Troy. January 1,
1878, he returned to Albany and became bookkeeper for C. G. Craft, clothier, and in
1890 was admitted as partner under the firm name of C. G. Craft & Co. Mr. Craft



died in March of that year and since then Mr. Chapin and Benjamin M. Secor have
continued the business as surviving partners. The firm manufactures and wholesale
and retails clothing on an extensive scale. Mr. Chapin served in the local militia
about nine years, and is a member of Co. A, of the Old Guard. In 1874 he married
Emily, daughter of Benjamin F. Moseley of Albany, and they have one daughter,
Abbie, who survives.

Hallenbeck, George A., was born in Greene county, N. V., in May, 1857. Smith
Hallenbeck, his great-great-grandfather, came from Holland with his two brothers
and took up a large tract of land known as the Hallenbeck Patent. Jacob, the
grandfather, was a farmer and spent his life in Greene county; he reared three chil-
dren: George Jacob and Eliza. Jacob, the father, was a mason by trade and for
many years and to the time of his death in 1858 had charge of a turnpike road ; he
had also a contract for and built many of the stone arch bridges on that road. His
wife was Phebe A. Renne, by whom he has had five children: William, Lucy, Mary
(died young), Alice (died young) and George. Mr. Hallenbeck having died when
George was but fifteen months old, his wife kept the family together and cared for
them until she died in 1877. William, the oldest, when but seventeen enlisted in
Co. I, Col, Pratt's Regiment, 20th N. Y. Vols., and was shot dead at the second
battle of Bull Run. George A. began to care for himself when he was quite young;
he first engaged as a drug clerk ; when seventeen he began to learn the cigarmaker's
trade, and when he mastered that he worked for twelve years as a journeyman
cigarmaker; he then began business for himself in Middleburg, Schoharie county,
becoming the successor of J. C. Barst & Co. ; this business he conducted until 1886,
when he removed it to Guilderland Center, where he drew plans and had a place
built especially for himself. He is an energetic business man and public spirited ;
he gives employment to from seven to sixteen men, and has two men on the road
with his goods all the time, and covers about eighteen counties. He has an annual
output of about three-quarters of a million, and his is the leading industry of the
village. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Lodge of Altamount, and Odd
Fellows Lodge of Voorheesville. In 1890 he was united in marriage to Miss Isadore
A. \'anderburg, daughter of Joseph Vanderburg of Greene county.

Mclntyre, Archibald, son of James and Ann (Campbell) Mclntyre, was born in
Johnstown, N.Y., June 6, 1837. He received his education in the public schools and
Johnstown Academy, and on April 27, 1845, he removed to Albany, N. Y. , where he
obtained a clerkship in the grocery store of S. T. Thorn. In 1846 Mr. Thorn sold
out to Richard Bortle, and in 1852 Mr. Mclntyre went into partnership with Mr.
Bortle. This partnership continued until 1862, when Mr. Mclntyre sold his interest
to Mr. Bortle. Mr. Mclntyre then went into the wholesale provision business on
Exchange street, handling flour, butter, cheese, etc. Subsequently he moved to
State street and in 1871 to his present location on Hudson avenue. In 1885 he sold
out and resumed again in 1889. Mr. Mclntyre is a member of Temple Lodge and
Capital City Chapter; he is also a director of the Commerce Insurance Company,



Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 107 of 138)