Copyright
Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 112 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 112 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


In 1894 he entered the Hudson River Garment Company in partnership with William
R. McGraw, and is now junior partner and financial manager. Mr. Ertz Berger is
a member of the Unconditional Republican Club, the Ancient Essenic Order and
treasurer of the Albany Bicycle Club. In 1883 he married Eloise Ross of Albany,
and they have one daughter. Edna D.



224

Cass, Lewis.вАФ This citizen of Albany, for many years ]5rominent aniony those in-
terested in the welfare of the city, was born at Decatur, Otsego county, N. Y., De-
cember 30, 1853. His father was a farmer, and his early life was passed upon his
father's farm. At the age of twelve, he was left an orphan. At the age of sixteen,
he began to teach in the district schools in Otsego county, at "a dollar a day and
boarded around." Afterwards he passed successfully through the State Normal
School, Colgate Academy at Hamilton, N. Y , graduating from the former in 1872
and the latter in 1874. He pursued a collegiate course at Union College, and grad-
uated from that institution in 1878. In the summer of 1878, he began to study law
with the celebrated firm of Smith, Bancroft & Moak, where he remained for three
years, when he opened an office of his own for the transaction of business. In 1886
he married Miss Kate Landon, eldest daughter of Judge Landon of Schenectady, N.
Y. Mr. Cass early took a high rank as a lawyer, and especially as an advocate, be-
ing connected with many important litigations, notably, the case of " McDonald
against the Village of Gloversville," and " The Trumbell will case " in Albany county,
and many other important litigations in Circuit, Probate and Criminal Courts. He
was attorney for the New York State Dairy Commissioner, and afterwards for the
Commissioner of Agriculture of the State of New York for seven years, and for the
past two years attorney for the New York State Veterinary Medical Society. Mr.
Cass is well known as an ardent, fearless advocate of progress, and has been a
potent factor in various reforms and improvements in the city, notably, the project
of the construction of Beaver Park in the south portion of the city. To no one man
is there more credit due for this much needed improvement than to Mr. Cass. Being
a forcible and fluent public speaker, his services are eagerly sought in political cam-
paigns. Although deeply interested in politics and political affairs, he has never
sought nor held a political office, preferring to remain a private citizen. He has a
well selected library of classic and historic literature and fiction, with which he is
exceedingly familiar. He was selected in 1888, to deliver the annual address before
the Adelphic Society of Union College, and chose for his subject "The Duty of the
Educated Man to Business and Society." Another topic upon which he has been
heard with interest and propriety is "The Puritans," which perhaps is his best known
lecture. Love for his early occupation abides with him, as shown by the fact that
he is one of the most successful amateur florists in the city, turning his special atten-
tion to roses, having ,a collection unsurpassed by any in the city.

Gilbert, Henry S., is one of the leading citizens of Guilderland. He was born in
the town of New Scotland, March 5, 1846. His father was Williams Gilbert, born in
the town of Bethlehem, April 18, 1823. His paternal grandfather was also Williams,
who married first Ora Hart, who bore him eleven children: Glazier, Noah, Elkanah,
Maria, Laura, Ann, Bradley, Alvin and Calvin (twins) and Prudence: his second wife
was Charity Barber, by whom he had four children: Eliza, Rachel Ann, Joseph and
Elisha. WilHams. father of Henry S., married Hannah Houghton (born in New-
Scotland, April 4, 1831) in December, 1843; she was one of a family of ten children
born to David ( born January 24, 1878) and 4nna (Bryant) Houghton (born February
2, 1777), and granddaughter of John and Dorcas (Lawrence) Bryant ; her brothers
and sisters were Polly, Lucy, John, Silas, Eli, Catharine, Smith, Sally and Jane Ann ;
she was the last survivor of her family. Williams followed farming all his life, living



325

some years in New Scotland and in 1856 removing to Guilderland where he bought a
farm and resided until 1865, when he sold his farm and removed to Glenville, Sche-
nectady county; there he bought a farm on which he resided until his death, which
occurred in September, 1873. The only child of Williams and Hannan (Houghton)
Gilbert was Henry S., the subject of this sketch. Mrs. Gilbert survived her husband
many years, cared for by her son till the time of her death, January 14, 1895. Henry
S. Gilbert attended the district school and remained with his father until the latter's
death, when he sold the farm and bought his present one of 100 acres near Fuller's
Station, to which he moved in 1874. He has been successfully engaged in dairying,
keeping a fine lot of choice cows; he also takes much pride in keeping fine horses.
In 1890-91 he engaged in mercantile business at Fuller's Station, where he owned a
store, and where he was also postmaster under Harrison's administration, but not
liking the business he sold out and returned to his farm, on which he has since re-
sided. He deals in agricultural implements, handling the Johnson harvesting ma-
chines; he is a director and stockholder in the Altamont Driving Park and Fair As-
sociations, and was chairman of the committees on fruit and vegetables, and on
stock and poultry, also horses. In January, 1867, he married Helen C. Weaver, a
native of Glenville, Schenectady county, daughter of Benjamin aad Hannah (Clossen)
Weaver. They have two children, William W., born January 14, 1868, and Burton
H., born April 29, 1876. William W. married Hattie, daughter of Leroy Main, and
has one child, Ethel ; he remained on the farm with his father until April, 1896, when
he removed to Voorheesville where he now resides. Burton A. is at home with his
parents.

Frederick, Charles F., son of Philip and Catharine (Gomph) Frederick, was born
in Albany, N. Y., August 21, 1865. He is a grandson of Philip Frederick, who was
born in Germany, and who came to Albany in 1830, where he engaged in the furni-
ture business and was one of the best known and most highly respected citizens of
Albany. His son, the father of the subject of this sketch, followed his father's
business with the addition of the undertaker's business, and gave promise of build-
ing up a remarkable business, but was cut off in early manhood. He died in 1874,
aged thirty-seven, leaving a family of eight children, all of whom are now living.
He was prominent in fraternal and social circles, being a Mason, an Odd Fellow,
and Knight of Pythias; he was also an ex-niember of the 25th Regiment, and in 1870
represented the then Tenth ward in the Board of Supervisors. Charles F. Fred-
erick, the subject of this sketch, was educated in the public schools and learned the
trade of bookbinder with R. G. Hendrie, with whom he remained eight years; at
the end of five years he was promoted to the position of foreman of Mr. Hendrie's
establishment and held that position when he left Mr. Hendrie's employ. In 1886
Mr. Frederick removed to Washington, D. C, where he obtained an appointment as
l30okbinder in the government printing office and remained there si.x years, resign-
ing to go into the grocery business in Washington. He was compelled to abandon
this business after three years owing to ill health, and in September, 1895, returned
to Albany. In January, 1896, he took a course in the United States Embalming
College in New York city, from which he received a diploma. In March of the
same year he started his present business, that of undertaker and embalmer, at No.
118 Washington avenue. Mr. Frederick is a member of the American Legion of



Honor, the International Brotherhood of Bookbinders and Clinton Lodge No. T,
I. O. O. F. November 16, 1887, he married Sarah Furman of Albany, and they
have one son, Charles F., jr.

Van Valken burgh, Hon. John W., was born in the village of Chatham, Columbia
county, N. Y., June 23, 1826, and is a son of James B. Van Valkenburgh, also of
Chatham, who fought gallantly at Plattsburgh during the war of 1812. He lived
until he was eighty-one years of age, dying August 15, 1868. The maiden name of
Mr. Van Valkenburg's mother was Clarinda Pitts, an aunt of Hon. Edmund Pitts,
ex-speaker of the Assembly. She died July 3, 1871, at the age of eighty-one. His
grandfather, Bartholomew Van Valkenburgh, was a native of Holland and came to
America at an early date, settling at Chatham, N. Y. He served with distinction
in the Revolutionary war. In his early youth, J. W. Van Valkenburgh, the subject
of this sketch, attended the common schools in Chatham and worked on his father's
farm. When he became of age he joined a military company and on November 16,
1849, was comtnissioned first lieutenant in the old 23d Regiment, N. Y. Militia. This
commission he held thirty-six years, until the regiment went out of existence. In
1853 Mr. Van Valkenburgh's services were secured to push forward the work of the
Lebanon Springs Railroad, and he is said to have thrown out the first shovel of
earth and hired the first man on the work. He displayed great energy and ability
in this enterprise. He took a deep interest in politics and early joined the Demo-
cratic party. In 1853 he was appointed deputy sheriff of Columbia county and
served for three years. In 1856 he was made route agent for the general post-office
department and ran the first night express train on the Harlem Railroad from Al-
bany to New York. When the Civil war broke out Mr. Van Valkenburgh offered
his services and was commissioned first lieutenant of Co. E, 128th Regiment, N. Y.
Vols. August 22, 1862, he was duly mustered into the service. His career was a
most creditable one. In January, 1863, he served as a member of a court martial
in New Orleans, and continued in the service until April 18, 1864, when on advice of a
surgeon he tendered his resignation and was honorably discharged. In 1865 he ac-
cepted a position as conductor on the Harlem Railroad. The following year he was
elected member of assembly from Columbia County. In 1867 Mr. Van Valken-
burgh removed to Albany and has since been an active and esteemed citizen of
that city. In 1868 he accepted the superintendency of the Albany and Susque-
hanna Railroad and in 1872 became interested in the New York and Albany Rail-
road, now known as the New York Railway. When the Lebanon Springs Railroad
became involved Mr. Van Valkenburgh was appointed receiver and held that posi-
tion for three years. In 1873 he was elected a member of assembly from Albany
county and has thus had the honor to represent both Albany and Columbia counties.

Hennessy, John V., M. D., son of Thomas and Margaret (McKinley) Hennessy,
was born in New York city in 1854. When he was a boy his parents removed to
Bath-on-the-Hudson; here young Mr. Hennessy attended the public schools. After
leaving school he obtained a situation as clerk in the office of his father, who was a
well known and prosperous builder in Albany. He remained with his father until
1880, when he entered the Albany Medical College and in 1884 was graduated from
that in.stitution, receiving the degree of M. D. Dr. Hennessy has practiced in Al-
bany since his crraduation. He is a surgeon on the staff of St. Peter's Hospital, at-



tending physician at the Boys' Orphan Asylum, lecturer on materia medica at the
Albany Medical College and a member of the Albany County Medical Society. In
1878 he married Sarah Elizabeth Kane of Amsterdam, N. Y.

Williams, C. Franlc, son of Isaac A. and Sarah M. (Carpenter) Williams, was born
in Brattleboro, Vt., October 17, 1859, and attended the public schools of Brattleboro,
and Worcester, Mass., after which he learned the printer's trade in Brattleboro. In
1878 Mr. Williams removed to Albany, N. Y., where he followed his trade until 1880,
when he opened a printing office in S. R. Gray's building in partnership with J. H.
Prouty. This partnership lasted for four years, when Mr. Williams organized the
C. F. Williams Printing Company, which existed until 1892, when it was completely
burned out at No. 36 Beaver street. Immediately after this fire the company was
dissolved and Mr. Williams resumed alone at his present location. No. 9-11 Green
street. Mr. Williams is a member of Ancient City Lodge No. 453, F. & A. M., Al-
bany Lodge No. 641, K. A. E. O. , Unconditional and Capital City Clubs and Albany
Republican League. June 13, 1884, he married Frances E. A. Pangburn of Albany,
and they have three children.

Grogan, Michael, was born in Ireland and was brought to America when an in-
fant, John Grogan, having preceded him two years before and who had directly
located in West Troy, was a pioneer settler and for years in the employ of the Har-
rington planing mill. Here Mr. Grogan has spent most of his life, first acquiring
the cooper's trade, which he followed for thirteen years. He served one year as
clerk in the weighlock and then entered the county clerk's office under John Larkin,
acting as clerk for four years. In 1884 he was appointed deputy sheriff', filling the
position for eleven years.

Murray, Wilham H., M. D., son of Francis and Sarah (Lockwood) Murray, was
born in Poundridge, Westchester county, N. Y., December 8, 1845. He attended
Betts's Academy at Stamford, Conn., and graduated from that institution in 1863.
In the fall of that year he entered Union College at Schenectady, N. Y. , and grad-
uated in 1877, receiving the degree of A. B. During the year 1867-68, he taught
school at Bellefonte, Pa., with Governor Hastings, present governor of Pennsylvania.
In the fall of 1868 Dr. Murray entered the Albany Medical College and received the
degree of M. D. from that institution in 1869. In 1868 he married Martha W.
Bouck, granddaughter of the late Governor Bouck; they have two children living,
Frank and Bessie. In 1870 Dr. Murray began the practice of medicine in Albany
and has since continued there, making a specialty of obstetrics. He has been prom-
inently identified with the Democratic party and has sacrificed much time to further
the interests of the city of Albany; there is no man better known or more highly
respected in his ward, the Si.\teenth. He can call everybody by name. His love
for his profession and his devotion to his fellows have contributed to his holding the
following offices; Supervisor of his ward for five terms, president of the Board of
Aldermen one term, district physician, police surgeon, county physician, coroner's
physician, penitentiary physician, and at present city physician. Dr. Murray has
been president of the Board of Trustees of the Hospital for Incurables since its
foundation. He has also been prominently identified with social and fraternal
organizations; he has been through all the chairs in Odd Fellowship, and is a mem-
ber of all Masonic bodies, and has the thirty-second degree; he has also been a



228

member of the K. of P. and Red Men. He is now a member of the Albany and
Acacia Clubs and the Albany County Medical Society.

Hall. Charles Roswell, son of John Peck and Sarah Hart (Purdy) Hall, was born
September 17, 1853, in Guilford, Chenango county, N. Y., where his father owned a
farm and died in 1875. The family were early settlers of Connecticut, coming origi-
nally from England in the seventeenth century, and held commissions in the State
troops of their State in the Colonial wars, and in the Continental army during the
war of the Revolution. Mr. Hall after receiving a common school education, be-
came a teacher in his native town, and in the fall of 1870 entered the State Normal
School at Brockport, N. Y. After entering and before finishing at the State Normal
School he taught school several terms, in this State, and in the States of Massachu-
setts, Connecticut and New Jersey. He read law with Judge Alberto T. Roraback
in Canaan, Conn., with Hon. Horace Packer, in Oxford, and with Judge Albert F.
Gladding in Norwich, from whose office he was admitted to the bar at Saratoga in
September, 1880. He began the practice of his profession in Norwich, where he was
elected justice of the peace, clerk to the Surrogate's Court, and in Ja.uua.Ty, 1884,
he received an appointment as assistant to Attorney-General O'Brien, with charge
of the Land Department of that office. In the fall of 1880 he was offered and ac-
cepted the office of Deputy Comptroller, being the youngest man to hold that impor-
tant position, and occupied it until the close of the term of the then comptroller.
Later he formed a copartnership for the practice of the law with Mr. Frederick E.
Wadhams, the special study of the law in reference to State lands and the tax laws
made while he was assistant attorney-general, and deputy comptroller, being found
to be of great advantage. April 16, 1889. he was appointed deputy superintendent
of the Banking Department, by the then superintendent, Willis S. Paine, and has re-
mained connected with that department since. He has filled every position in it
from deputy and acting superintendent to bookkeeper, has made a special study of
the laws affecting the organization, conduct and supervision of financial institutions,
both under the State Banking Laws and the National Bank Act, and is the author
of Hall's Bank Laws, a recognized authority on such subjects. He has written much
for the press, has delivered lectures and read papers on financial subjects, has won
honors as an orator, has always been a staunch Democrat, being delegate to local,
State and National conventions. He is a member of the Albany Clubs and other
organizations.

Collins, Hon. Lorenzo D., was born in the town of Whitehall, Washington county,
July 13, 1821. He is of Puritan ancestry and Revolutionary stock, both grandfathers
having served in the Revolutionary war. His father, Daniel Collins, fought in the
war of 1813. Mr. L. D. Collins received a district school education and when nine-
teen years of age, left his father's farm and located in West Troy, Albany county,
where two years later, he opened a canal barn and grocery and provision store. He
was a member of the old Whig party and when the Republican party was formed in
1856, he became a member and has been very active ever since. Mr. Collins was
trustee of the village of West Troy in 1853 and the next year was chosen village
president; in 1859 and 1860, he was a member of the Assembly and in 1866 was
elected State senator. While in the Senate, he was chairman of the committee on
canals and in 1867 introduced in the Senate a bill for the erection of the New Capi-



239

tol building, which he liad passed. Every bill he introduced, while in the Legisla-
ture, was passed and became law. In 1865 he was a delegate to the International
Convention at Detroit, Mich. In 1895 when the town of Watervliet was divided and
the town of Colonie erected, Mr. Collins was chosen the first supervisor and was re-
elected in the spring of 1896. He was named by Governor Morton as one of the dele-
gate.s from New York to the National Farmers' Congress and Good Roads Parlia-
ment, which were held at Atlanta, Ga., during the Cotton States and International
Expcisition in 1895. He is president of the State Farmers' League and chairman of
the executive committee of the New York State Farmers' Congress, both of which
were organized largely through his individual efforts. Mr. Collins was a director of
the Union National Bank of Troy, for twenty years, and was for six years captain
of the Light Guards, a military company of West Troy, Albany county. He is a
charter member of Evening Star Lodge, No. 75, F. & A. M., of West Troy.

Anlemann, Herman W., son of Gottlieb and Augusta (Scherff) Antemann, was
born in Saxony, Germany, April 21, 1847. He came to America with his parents
when he was five years old and settled in Albany, N. Y., where he was educated in
a private German school and the public schools. He obtained his first employment
with Thomas R. Van Loon at No. 480 Broadway, where he learned the jewelry busi-
ness. In 1870 Mr. Antemann and Mr. Van Loon formed a partnership. Six months
later Mr. Van Loon sold out to Mr. Antemann and for the past twenty-four years
Mr. Antemann has been in business at his present location, No. 14 James street,
where he now does a large business as a manufacturing jeweler. He is a member
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeem.er and a member and dii-ector of
the Albany Musical Association. February 10, 1870, he married Elizabeth Huber of
Albany, by whom he has four children, Elizabeth, Kathryn, Millie and Augusta
Elsie.

Winne, Charles Visscher, is descended from Pieter Winne, born in Ghent, Flan-
ders, and Tannatje Adams, his wife, born in Leeuwaerden, ^'rieslandt, who came to
America and settled in what is now Bethlehem, Albany county, July 6, 1684. The
line of descent is (1) Pieter Winne; (2) Livinus, 1647-1706, of Albany, married first
Teuntje Martense and second Mrs. Williamje Viele Schermerhorn ; (3) Benjamin (by
second wife), 1705-1797, married Rachel Van Arnam ; (4) Livinus, 1745-1825, mar-
ried Marytje Lansing; (5) Livinus Lansing, 1783-1816, married Ann Visscher, at-
torney, graduated from Union College in 1804, captain U. S. Army 1812, and served
in that war; and (6) Nanning Visscher, 1807-1858, a physician, graduated from
Union College in 1824 and from Yale in 1826, commissioned surgeon with rank of
lieutenant-colonel on Maj.-Gen. Stephen Van Rensselaer's staff, and married Rachel,
daughter of Garrett Van Zandt Bleecker. All these spent their active careers in
Albany. Charles V. Winne, son of Dr. N. V., was born January 27, 1848, was edu-
cated at the Albany Boys' Academy and in 1871 entered the employ of the D. & H.
C. Co., where he has since remained. He was first attached to the engineering
corps and since 1873 has been in the paymaster's office, becoming paymaster in June,
1891. He is a member of Temple Lodge No. 14, F. & A. M., Temple Chapter No.
5, R. A. M., the Fort Orange Club, the Old Guard Albany Zouave Cadets, and the
Ridgefield Athletic and Albany Camera Clubs; has been president of the Young
Men's Association since 1894; was commodore of the American Canoe Association



230

in 1892; was for six years captain of the Mohican Canoe Club; and is secretary of
the Albany Country Club; a trustee and treasurer of the Albany City Homoeopathic
Hospital, member of the Holland Society of New York and recorder of the Board
of Governors of the American Cauoe Association, in which he is very prominent.

Young, William P., was born in the town of New Scotland, August 7, 1834, Peter,
his grandfather, being a native of the town of Knox, where he was born about 1784,
and where he spent his days as a farmer. He was a prominent and active member
of the State militia, in which he took great pride and spent considerable money,
being an officer in a company of cavalry. His first wife was Miss Toles, by whom
he had six sons and four daughters, his second wife being Miss Bundy, by whom
three children were born. He died in 1864, at the age of eighty years. Peter, the
father, was born in Knox, June 6, 1806. He commenced at the age of sixteen to
learn the carpenter's trade and followed it about forty years, when, in 1851 he
bought a farm in Guilderland and in 1856 bought an adjoining farm. In 1863 he
engaged in farming in Guilderland, where he spent his remaining days. He was also
a member of and drummer in the State militia. His wife was Rebecca (Williams)
Austin, and their children were John A., Charles W., Henry W., Sarah A., Mar-
garet J., Lois R., Mary (who died at the age of twenty-five), Eliza O. and Gouvenier
M. He died August 15, 1881, at the age of seventy-five, and his wife died April 28,
1892, at the age of seventy-seven. William P. remained at home until twenty-one
years of age, when he rented, in 1856, a farm for one year for himself in the town
of Coeymans. In 1857 he returned to Guilderland and worked his father's farms for
nine years, and in 1866 purchased a farm in New Scotland which he still owns. In
1883 he bought a second farm in New Scotland, where he now resides. He has
made a specialty of fruit culture and has several varieties on his farms. The farm
on which he now lives is known as the Dr. Sager farm, and was originally owned by
Dr. Day. Dr. Sager lived with Dr. Day and later married his adopted daughter.
Mr. Young has erected new houses and barn buildings on both of his farms, being
his own architect. December 9, 1854, he married Mary S. Koonz. born in New Scot-
land and daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Folmsbee) Koonz, and granddaughter



Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 112 of 138)