Copyright
Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 116 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 116 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Wagstaff. They have one daughter, Mary, wife of Harry Green, who is associated
with Mr. Garside in the meat business, he having charge of the branch ofhce in
Schenectady. They have two children, John and Grace.

Benson, Samuel J., is one of the most successful builders of his day, as the many
buildings in Cohoes and elsewhere will attest. Among them are the "Cascade Mills"
for (Jeorge H. McDonald & Co., and the " Granite Mills" for William Moore, also
tlie Presbyterian church which he is now building. Mr. Benson is a native of Lim-
erick, Ireland, commg to America when three years old with his father, John Ben-
son, a mason. He first settled in Newburgh, N. Y., then in 1866 he came to Cohoes
where he learned the stone-mason trade, which pursuit he has always followed most
successfull)\ As a citizen he is well known for his sterling integrity and worth.

Kelly, Hon. George T., born in Albany, May 12, 1864, attended the Christian
Brothers' Academj', and later public schools Nos. 15 and.8, and was graduated from
the Albany High School in 1883. He entered the law office of Peckhani, Rosendale
& Hessberg, and subsequently became their managing clerk. In the mean time he
took a course of lectures at the Albany Law School and Union University, graduat-
ing with the degree of LL. B. in 1886, being the honor man and the youngest mem-
ber of his class. He was admitted to the bar at the General Term of the Supreme
Court in May of the same year. On March 1, 1887. he formed a copartnership with
Judge John W. Walsh, which continued until January, 1890, when Mr. Kelly resumed
the practice of his profession individually. He is a man of refined tastes and of ex-
tensive reading in general literature. He is interested in all public matters and in
politics is a Democrat. At the Democratic Assembly Convention of 1895 he was
nominated for member of assembly of the Third Assembly District, an office which
he filled with honor and ability. In 1896 he was re-elected to this position, being the
only Democrat elected in Albany county. Mr. Kelly married the daughter of Hon.
William C. McFadden of Harrisburg, Pa., and they have three children. He is a
member of the Dongan Club, Catholic Union, C. M. B. A., and Phi Delta Phi
Society.

Montignani, John F., only son of John O., a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, was
born in (ilens Falls, N. Y., June 24, 1855. His father came to America and settled
in Albany about 1845, and after residing for a few years in Glens Falls, returned to
this city, where he died January 8, 1894; he was superintendent of various factories,
was a manufacturer and dealer in pianos and was a prominent Mason, holding mem-
bership in Temple Lodge No. 15, F. & A. M. ; he was also active in Scotch societies,
was one of the founders of both the curling clubs of Albany, was prominent in musical
circles, was a founder and the first secretary of the Albany Burns Club and married
Elizabeth Ferguson, of Kortright, Delaware county, N. Y., who died June 1, 1889.
John F. Montignani was graduated from the Albany High School in 1875 and then
entered Cornell University, but owing to ill health was forced to abandon a college
course. He read law in the office of Edward Wade of Albany and later with Paddock,
Draper & Chester, a leading firm composed of William S. Paddock, then Recorder,
Andrew S. Draper, afterward state superintendent of public instruction, and Alden



252

Chester, now a justice of the Supreme Court. He was admitted to the bar in 1881
and at once formed a copartnership with Hon. Robert G. Scherer, which continued
until 1888. In 1890 he formed his present partnership with George H. Mallory and
William S. Elmendorf, the firm name being Montignani, Mallory & Elmendorf.
While in the Albany High School he held all the offices of the Philodoxia Society and
was one of the founders and a charter member of the Philologian Society. In 1876
he was one of the principal organizers of the High School Alumni Association, which
now has nearly 3,000 members, and served as its president for four years from 1883.
He assisted in founding the Friendly Few Society of High School graduates m 1877
and has been its secretary ever since. In 1893 he aided in reviving the Albany Burns
Club, of which he has since been the secretary. He is a member and for some time
was secretary of St. Andrews Society, is a member of the Albany Caledonian Society,
at college became a member of the Delta Upsilon Fraternity, and in 1895 was one of
the organizers of the Albany Workingmen's Educational Club. A Republican, he
has been prominent in politics, was a candidate for recorder in 1895, managed the
Wilson mayoralty campaign, and in 1896 established -the McKinley League in Albany
county and city. In 1894 he was engaged in New York as counsel for the "Anti-
Machine Republicans," representing them before the State Committee. He has a
general law practice in all the courts and is attorney for the Mechanics' and Farmers'
Bank. He was counsel in the celebrated McPherson case, in which the constitution-
ality of the collateral (now the transfer) tax law was attacked. In 1885 he w-as mar-
ried in Edinburgh, Scotland, to Clementina Petrie-Montignani, daughter of Henry
G. Montignani, and they have two children Jiving: Elizabeth F. and Jennie M.

Thompson, David A., was born at Mannington, Salem county, N. J., May 29, 1844.
His parents were of English descent and Quakers, his forefathers migrating to West
Jersey about 1680. He obtained his rudimentary education at the Salem Friends
School and Academy, and later became a student at Haverford, Pa., w^here he re-
mained one and one-half years. In 1866 he entered Princeton College and was grad-
uated in 1868. lie then removed to Albany, entered the Albany Law School and
was graduated in 1869, w-hen he was admitted to the bar. For ten years, until 1879,
he practiced his profession alone. In the latter year he formed a partnership with
Arthur L. Andrews, under the firm name of Thompson & Andrews, which continued
until 1885, when the firm became Stedman, Thompson & Andrews, George L. Sted-
man being the senior member. This copartnership was dissolved January 1, 1896,
Mr. Stedman retiring, and since then the firm has been Thompson & Andrews.
In 1874 Mr. Thompson was appointed first clerk to Edmund L. Judson, mayor of
Albany, which is the only public office he ever held. He was for many years a mem-
ber and trustee of the First Congregational church, the Home for Aged Men, the
Albany Orphan Asylum, the Albany Mutual Insurance Company, the Albany Female
Academy, the Home Savings Bank, and the Albany Safe Deposit and Storage Com-
pany. He has been a member of the Committee of Thirteen since 1882 and is now
secretary and treasurer of that society; he is also a member of Masters Lodge. No.
5, F. & A. M. October 4, 1871, he married Margaret, daughter of the late Dr.
James McNaughton of Albany, and they have three children: James McNaughton,
Andrew and Margaret McNaughton Thompson

Andrews, Arthur L., son of Dr. George and Julia A. (Hooker) Andrews, was born



253

in Marion, la., April 16, 1855, and descends from William Andrews, who in 1635
came from England to New Haven, Conn., where the family lived for generations,
and held State and Federal offices. Dr. George Andrews, a physician, removed to
Westfield, Mass., in 1857, and died in Wallingford, Conn., November 27, 1895.
Arthur L. Andrews attended the private schools at Westfield, was graduated from
Westfield High School in 1871, and received the degree of B. A. from Wesley an
University in 1875. being one of the honor men in his class, and taking while there
a prominent part in all the athletic exercises. On July 7, 1875, he came to Albany
and entered the law office of Stedman & Shepard, and was admitted to the bar Sep-
tember 8, 1877. He remained with his preceptors as managing clerk until August 1,
1879, when he formed a copartnership with David A. Thompson, as Thompson &
Andrews. On February 16, 1885, this firm became associated with George L. Sted-
man, under the name of Stedman, Thompson & Andrews, and on January 1, 1889,
George W. Stedman was admitted as partner. January 1, 1896, this firm dissolved
and since then the style has been Thompson & Andrews. In November, 1895, Mr.
Andrews was appointed by Governor Morton as commissioner to devise charters for
cities of the second class. He has been attorney for the Board of Supervisors for
two years and counsel for the Republican organization for two j'ears, and is a trustee
of the Albany Home School for oral instruction of the deaf, a member and deacon of
the State Street Presbyterian church, a member of the Fort Orange, Ridgefield
Athletic, and Capital City Clubs, president of the McKinley Guards, and a member
of the Psi Upsilon Club of New York city. September 4, 1879, he married Alice,
daughter of Samuel Anable of Albany, and they have one son, Harold Fourdrinier
Andrews, born July 3, 1884.

Ward, Hon. Walter E., was born December 5, 1853, in Westeiio, Albany county.
His father. Rev. Gilbert Ward, formerly of Westerlo, whose long services in the
ministry of the M. E. church have been signally blessed, is still living. His mother,
Emeline Garrett, a native of New Baltimore, Greene county, died several 5'ears ago.
His grandfather, Gilbert Ward, was a pioneer farmer of Westerlo, a justice of the
peace in 1822 and a man of prominence. This branch of the Ward family in America
is descended from the same ancestry as Gen. John Ward of Revolutionary fame.
Walter E. Ward worked on his father's farm in Westerlo summers and attended the
district school in winter. When seventeen he entered the Collegiate Institute at
Claverack, N. Y., then under the principalship of Rev. Alonzo Flack, D. D. While
there he taught school a part of the time, earning money enough to pay his educa-
tional expenses. On leaving Claverack in 1873 Mr. Ward entered Wesleyan Uni-
versity, where he was a member of the university football team and boat crew, and
rowed in the intercollegiate regatta at Saratoga in 1876. He was graduated from
Wesleyan with honor in 1877. He then took up his residence in Albany. Prepara-
tory to entering the Albany Law School he read law in the office of Hungerford &
Hotaling, and about the same time gave private instruction in Latin and Greek.
Mr. Ward was graduated from the Albany Law School in 1879, and was at once ad-
mitted to the bar. In 1880 he opened an office in Albany and four years later asso-
ciated with himself his present partner, Frederick W. Cameron, the firm name
being Ward & Cameron. While carrying on his general legal practice. Mr. Ward's
attention was turned to a careful investigation of the laws relating to patents, and



254

he has made this subject a special department by bringing together all the important
authorities, so that this collection of books in this line is the largest of any lawyer
in this city. He has had charge of important infringement suits in which he has
gained a wide reputation, and is a lecturer on patents, trade marks and copyrights,
in the Albany Law School. As a Republican, Mr. Ward, in the fall of 1890, was
nominated for member of assembly from the Second Assembly district and was
elected over Dr. De Graft' of Guilderland by a majority of .564, being the only
Republican chosen to any office from the county m that election. He served with
credit on the Committees on Cities, Revision of Laws, and Excise Matters. In
1891 he was re-elected by a majority of 1,072 over ex-County Clerk W. D. Strevell
and was again the only successful Republican nominee on the ticket for Albany
county. During his second legislative term Mr. Ward served on the Committee on
General Laws and Revision. He is a member of the Unconditional Republican,
Camera and Albany Clubs and a member of Trinit)' M. E. church, and in 1891-92
was superintendent of its Sabbath school. In 1881 Mr. Ward married Miss Carrie,
daughter of Luman Stanton of Westerlo, and they have three children: Maude E.,
Florence and Walter J.

Potts, Jesse Walker, is the only son of Jesse Charles Potts, who was born September
30, 1811, in Albany. His grandparents were Jesse and Elizabeth (Duns) Potts, the
former being a Friend, who came to Albany from Pennsylvania in 1790. lie is
descended from David Potts, who came from "\^^ales and settled in Bristol town,ship,
Philadelphia county. Pa., before 1692. David Potts, a member of the Society of
Friends, married Alice Croasdale, who with her parents came to America with Will-
iam Penn in the Welcome in 1682. Jesse Potts died December 21, 1811, leaving a
widow and six children. Elizabeth Duns was born in Scotland. Jesse Charles Potts
attended the old Lancaster school and was at the opening of the new building in
1817, where the Albany Medical College is now. When thirteen he worked for Mrs.
Cook who kept a reading room on Broadway near Maiden Lane, and afterward in
a grocery on old Van Schaick street. In 1828 he was apprenticed to learn the molder's
trade at Corning & Norton's Eagle Foundry, and after the firm sold their business
to Many & Ward in 1830, he finished his apprenticeship with Francis Low at the Clinton
Foundry. He worked for Howard Nott & Co., manufacturers of the famous Nott
stoves, and was with Rathbone & Silliman for about a year. In 1835 he formed a part-
nership with Benjamin Thomas for the manufacture of stove castings, on the site of
the present First Baptist church. In 1836 the firm was changed to Thomas, Potts &
Wells. Subsequently Mr. Potts sold his interest to the other two and became the
foreman of De Graffs Foundry. In 1837 he entered into partnership with Levi S.
Hoffman, with whom he remained until 1846, when he bought Mr. Hoffman's inter-
est and four years later sold the business to Shear & Packard ; in 1852 he formed
with Jacob H. Shear and Joseph Packard, the firm of Shear, Packard & Company;
in February, 1857, he sold his interest to Shear & Packard and retired from active
business. In 1850 and 1851 he became interested in real estate and built many dwell-
ings in the city. In 1851 he went to Europe in company with the late George Daw-
son. He represented the old Third ward as supervisor in 1852, being elected as a
Whig. He was an admirer of Henry Clay and when the latter made his second
canvass for the presidency in 1832, Mr. Potts cast his first vote. He continued



255

a Whig until the Republican party was formed in 1836, when he joined it. He
joined the Volunteer Fire Department August 17, 1835, and was foreman of Truck
No. 1. He was one of the organizers of the Commerce Insurance Company in 1859
and a director from that time, and was also a director of the First National Bank.
He was a member and for many years a vestryman of St. Peter's church and was
one of the committee (the other two being John Taylor and Dr. Philip Ten Eyck)
tliat had chargeof the erection of the present building in 1859 and 1860. He also at the
request of the family of John Tweddle, superintended the completion of the tower in
1876. He was one of the founders of Fireman's Lodge of Odd Fellows, March 111.
1837, and was also a member of the Histrionic Association. He took a great interest in
American coins and medals and his collection probably ranked with any in the
country. December 23, 1835, he married Eunice U. Walker, who died in June, 1890.
Mr. Potts died February 3, 1891, leaving two children, who are now living. In 1895
the new rectory of St. Peter's was built and given to the church as a memorial to
Jesse Charles Potts and his wife, by their son and daughter, Jesse Walker Potts and
Sarah Benham Potts.

Boyd, James P., M.D., is a native of Albany and a son of one of the foremost phy-
sicians of the city in his day. He received his eaiMy education at the Albany Boys'
Academy and was graduated from Princeton College in 1867. He then entered the
Albany Medical College where he pursued the studj- of medicine with that assiduity
which had characterized his earlier school days. Subsequently he entered the Col-
lege of Physicians and Surgeons of New York city and received the degree of M.D.
from that institution in 1871. The next two years Dr. Boyd devoted to higher
studies in his chosen profession in the famous universities of Germany. He began
the practice of medicine in Albany in 1873, and has steadily increased until now;
he stands in the foremost rank of the eminent physicians of the city. He is a mem-
ber of the Albany County Medical Society, the New York State Medical Society, the
American Medical Association, the American Association of Obstetricians and the
Gynecological Society. He is also a member of the British Gynecological Society.
He is also attending gynecologist to Albany Hospital, consulting obstetrician to St.
Peter's Hospital and professor of obstetrics, gynecology and diseases of children at
the Albany Medical College.

Guthrie, Alfred A., son of Samuel and Catherine (Minear) Guthrie, was born in
Troy, Davis county, la., September 20, 1850, was prepared for college in the acad-
emy of his native town and received from the State University of Iowa the degree
of A. B. in 1875 and that of A. M. in 1877. After graduating he began the study of
law in the office of Hatch & Hatch. o{ Hannibal, Mo., but in 1883 removed to Albanv
and took a partial course of studies at the Union Law School, receiving the degree
of LL. B. and being admitted to the bar of New York in June, 1884. He was asso-
ciated in practice with his brother, William R. Guthrie and Andrew J. Colvm, until
the former'.^; death in 1890, and since then has continued alone. He has always been
a Republican, has held several positions of trust and honor, and is pre-eminently a
scholar, a lover of books and a thorough student of jurisprudence. He is a thirty-
second degree Mason, past commander of Temple Commandery No. 2, K. T., past
thrice illustrious master of De Witt Clinton Council, No. 32, R. & S. M., past high
jjriest nf Capital City Chapter No. 343, R. A. M,, past master of the Ineffable and



2.56

Sublime Grand Lodge of Perfection of Albany, a trustee representing his chapter in
the New Temple Commission, and a member of the Grand Commander)- of New York
and has been the representative of the Grand Comraandery of Texas. In Odd Fellow-
ship he has from its inception been counsel without compensation for the trustees
of the New Odd Fellows Temple of Albany. He was elected grand warden of the
Grand Lodge of Odd Fellows of the State of New York in 1893, deputy grand master
August L 1894, and grand master in August 1895, holding the latter office one year.
He IS continually called upon to deliver addres.ses in all parts of the State. Decem-
ber 25, 1877, he married Ella, daughter of Rev. Samuel M. Osmond, 1). D., of Phil-
adelphia, Pa., who died in March, 1879, leaving one son: Keith Osmond Guthrie,
now a student at Yale College, class of 1899.

Hallenbeck, Charles W вАФGarrett J. Hallenbeck, born in the town of Guilderland,
in December, 1816, was a prominent citizen of that town. The first of the family
that emigrated from Holland to America were William and Michael F., who settled
on the Livingston Manor about 1740. Isaac, the son of William and grandfather of
Garrett J., settled in the town of Guilderland where he reared four sons; Tunius,
Garrett, Abram and Jacob I. Jacob I., the father of Garrett J., was born in Guild-
erland December 14, 1791, where he was a well-to-do farmer. When twenty years
of age he married Christiana Waldron and their children were Isaac, George Y.,
Garrett J., Margaret and Jane Ann, all decea.sed except Margaret. He died in 1877
and his wife in 1875. Garrett J. devoted bis life to farming and in early life he
bought and sold many farms. In 1853 he settled permanently on the farm of 128
acres, which is now owned by his sons, Charles W. and Alexander. He took great
pride in the breeding of fine horses and cattle. In 1844 he married Lucinda Van
Valkenburg, who was born in Guilderland in July, 1823, daughter of Johoicam and
Rebecca (McMichael) Van Valkenburg. Their children were Jacob G., Rebecca,
Cornelius (deceased), Isaac H., Alexander, Jane Ann, Emma, and Charles W. of
Albany. Johoicam Van Valkenburg was a native of the town of Guilderland, and
the son of John Van Valkenburg. He was a farmer and lumberman, owning a
good farm and a .saw mill. He reared ten children, all of whom grew to maturity
except one boy, who was accidentally killed. -Alexander McMichael, the maternal
grandfather of Mrs. Hallenbeck, was a native of Ireland, who was for years a hotel
keeper and farmer.

Wolff, John, son of John A. and J. J. (Mayen) Wolff, was born in Arnhem, Holland,
July 22. 1836. He received his education in the public schools, and Almkerk Univer-
sity from which he graduated in 1855. Immediately after his graduation he was
appointed assistant teacher of the Holland and French languages and filled that chair
until 1857, when he came with his parents to America and settled in Albany, N. Y.
Mr. Wolff obtained the position of shipping clerk with Wheeler & Melick and held
that place until 1888, when he associated himself with the Wheeler & Melick Manu-
facturing Company. While shipping clerk, Mr. Wolff was abroad seven times in the-
capacity of salesman. The firm went out of existence in 1890, and Mr. Wolff assumed
control of the business and continued in that capacity until January, 1896; since then
he has been engaged in a general repair and commission business. In 1863 he mar-
ried Miss D. (i. FiierdMm. Holland, and they have one son and four
daughters.



I



357

Ogden, Charles G., son of Edward and Julia (Hand) Ogden, was born in Albany,
N. Y. , January 25, 1858. Mr. Ogden's father was born in England and on the ma-
ternal side he is descended from New England ancestors. He received his education
in the Albany Academy, from which he was graduated in 1877. He then entered
the office of his father, where he learned the business of architect and draughtsman.
In 1892 he was taken into partnership, the firm being Edward Ogden & Son, located
at No. 61 State street. In 1884 Mr. Ogden married Lizzie, daughter of Peter Kin-
near, of Albany, and they have two children, a .son and a daughter.

Banker, William Soules, son of John and Christiana (Kent) Banker, was born in
Clinton county, N. Y. He received his education at the Plattsburgh and Cham-
plain Academies, after which he went into business with the Redford Crown Glass
Works at Redford, N. Y. He remained with this concern for many years, until
their retirement from business. His worth as a salesman had become well known
during his connection with the Redford works, and after leaving them he was con-
nected with some of the most important houses in the United States. They were
J. W. Blodgett & Co., of Boston; J. R. Jaffrey & Sons, of New York, and N. K.
Fairbank & Co., of Chicago, later the N. K. Fairbank Company. In April, 1888,
Mr. Banker removed to Albany, representing the latter house, also the Cudahy
Packing Co., South Omaha, Neb., and he continued to represent the Fairbank Com-
pany until November, 1895. He now represents the Cudahy Packing Co. , South
Omaha, Neb.; Central Lard Co., New York city; the Waverly Refining Co., New
York city; the National Linseed Oil Co., Buffalo, N. Y. ; American Preservers Co.,
Philadelphia, Pa.; Muscatine Oat Meal Co., Muscatine, la.; Eli Pettijohn Cereal
Co., Minneapolis, Minn.; Mohawk Condensed Milk Company, RochestQi', N. Y. ;
Jacob Beck & Sons, Detroit, Mich. ; De Land & Co. (Cap Sheaf Soda), Fairport, N.Y. ;
the Rockford Sugar Refining Co., Rockford. 111. ; Connecticut Extract Witch Hazel,
Middletown, Conn.; Delgado & Co., New Orleans, La.; Theo. Brierre's Sons, New
Orleans, La.; Standard Rice Co. , New York city; American Soap Co., New York
city; Columbia Falls Packing Co., Columbia Falls, Me.; and the Marshall-Kennedy
Milling Co., Allegheny, Pa. Mr. Banker has also other large milling interests; his
office and warehouse at 65 and 67 Hudson avenue is one of the best in Albany, large,
attractive, and contains all the up to date improvements, including steam power and
steam heating.

Van Aken, De Baun, son of Dr. David F. and Abigail (Lansing) ^'an Aken, was
born in Lishaskill, Albany county, N. Y., January 3, 1863. Dr. David P., the father
of the subject of this sketch, is still a practicing physician at Maiden. Ulster county,
N. Y. Mr. Van Aken is descended from French-Huguenot stock; from those who,
shortly after the massacre of St. Bartholomew's, moved to Holland. Two brothers
left Holland and came to America just previous to the Revolution and one of them,
Henry, great-great-grandfather of Mr. Van Aken, performed gallant service in the



Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 116 of 138)