Copyright
Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 117 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 117 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


war. Mr. Van Aken's grandfather, Alanson, is now living in the town of New Scot-
land at the ripe old age of ninety-two; he has been justice of the peace of New
Scotland for a number of years. On the maternal side Mr. Van Aken is descended
from Gerritt Lansing, who came from Holland and whose descendants have had an
important part in framing the history of Albany county. Mr. Van Aken was edu-
cated in the Saugerties Institute, the Union Classical Institute at Schenectady and



258

the Albany College of Pharmacy, from which he received the degree of Ph. G. in
1884. After leaving college Mr. Van Aken was associated with Dr. C. H. Smith on
Washington avenue for twelve years and was a partner during the last five. In 1894
he purchased the store on the corner of Hamilton and Hawk streets, where he is
now doing a large business. He is secretary of the College of Pharmacy and in-
structor in chemistry therein. For one term he was president of the Alumni Asso-
ciation of the college. Mr. Van Aken is a member of the State Street Presbyterian
church and has been its Sunday school superintendent for the past five years. In
1890 he married Jessie W. Scherraerhorn of East Greenbush, and they have one son.
Homer Lansing.

Hawley, Mrs. Clara M. — Among the numerous printing establishments in Albany
it would be hard to find one where prompt service and fair dealing more abound
than in that owned by Mrs. C. M. Hawley. This business was originally established
in 1871 by L. H. Burdick, for general job and newspaper printing, at No. 51 North
Pearl street. Mr. Burdick continued to own and manage the business until 1878,
when, having taken James Taylor into partnership, the firm became Burdick &
Taylor. The plant was subsequently moved to Martin Hall and later to No. 481
Broadway, where the business was continued until 1893. In November, 1890, the
partnership was dissolved and Lewis J. Roberts came into the firm, making the firm
Taylor & Roberts. Mr. Roberts died after thirteen months, but the firm name con-
tinued until 1893, when Charles H. Hawley succeeded to the Roberts interest. Mr.
Hawley died in November, 1893, and the interest has since been carried on by Mr.
Hawley's widow. Mrs. Clara M. Hawley. January 31, 1897, Mrs. Hawley bought
Mr. Taylor's interest and has since then been sole owner of the plant, at Nos. 36-88
Beaver street, and secured the services of L. H. Burdick to manage the business for
her. Mr. Burdick, bemg the founder of the business, is of course a most valuable
man and will build up the concern to hold its own as among the first of its kind in
the city. Mr. Burdick also represents the Pennsylvania Mutual Life Insurance Com-
pany and for eight years has been secretary of the West End Savings and Loan
Association. He is very popular in social and fraternal circles, and is a Knight
Templar, Mason, a past grand in the I. O. O. P., and an encampment member.

Anderson, Charles W., was born April 28, 1866, in Oxford, Ohio. He graduated
from the High School of that town, Spencerian Business College of Cleveland and
Miami University. He determined upon the legal profession, and to prepare himself
read law with Judge Weed of Cleveland. He did not complete his studies, however,
but moved east to New York and entered politics. He was for a time on the staff of
the New York Age, and was connected with the late Col. Elliot F. Shephard until his
death. He was appointed United States Internal Revenue Ganger by Hon. William
Windom, which position he held until December, 1893, when he resigned to accept
the appointment of private secretary to State Treasurer Colviu, which position he
now holds. Mr. Anderson is regarded as one of the most scholarly colored men of
the country, and has probably been honored as much as any living man of his race.
He responded to the sentiment, "The Citizen and the Nation," at the annual ban-
quet of the Garfield Club of Providence, R. 1., in 1891, and to that of "The Future
of the Republican Party," in 1892. He also responded to a toast at the annual ban-
quet of the St. Patrick's Club at Hotel Brunswick, New York, March 17, 1892; he



259

was one of the speakers at the banquet given by the government of Venezuela,
through her commissionar, Hon. Napoleon Domiuici, at Delmonico's, to the Ameri-
can advocates of the Monroe Doctrine in the same year. Mr. Anderson responded
to the toast of "The Emancipation Proclamation," at the Lincoln banquet of the
Marquette Club of Chicago, at the Grand Pacific Hotel, February 12, 1895. He has
delivered many lectures, among them being "The Delights and Defects of Conver-
.sation," "The Life, Times and Teachings of Rousseau," "Abraham Lincoln," "The
Abolitionists," "Frederick Douglass," "The Philosophy of Prejudice," " The Ama-
teur Thinker," and "The Brotherhood of Man." He has made many occasional
addresses and is regarded as one of the readiest and most polished speakers of his
age in the State. He was appointed a commissioner to the Tennessee Centennial by
Governor Morton, and was selected by the Republican State Committee to accom-
pany Hon. William McKinley on his speaking tour through New York State during
Hon. Levi P. Morton's canvass for governor. Mr. Anderson makes many friends
wherever he goes, as is evidenced by the fact that he was tendered a complimentary
luncheon by members of the Union League Club of Chicago, October 17, 1896.

Wrightson, George W. , was born in England and came to America when four
years of age, and settled in Utica and in 1859 engaged with the N. Y. C. & H. R. R.
R. Co. as fireman, and acted as such on the engine that took President Lincoln to
the White House, also taking his body west when killed. From fireman he was
promoted to engineer, and ran the first passenger engine from Ravena on the AVest
Shore R. R., and .settled there. He also ran an engine on the Mohawk division. He
married Miss Rachel Lang of Utica, and built a fine residence at Ravana, where he
reared a family of three daughters; Ada L. (Mrs. G. C. Boyl), Eva M. and Grace M.
He was and is yet the principal mover in the organization of the Christian church at
Ravena, which was built in 18^9, and of which he is a leading member and sup-
porter.

Don, William G., son of John G. and Julia (Crew) Don, was born in Albany, N. Y.,
March 39, 1854. He attended Professor Luther's school on Eagle street and Folsom
Business College, after which he worked for the Van Rensselaer estate and as tally
boy for Clark, Sumner & Co.. lumber dealers, where he rose to the position of clerk
In 1876 he went to work for Thomas S. Murphy as bookbinder. In 1894 Mr. Murphy
died and in March, 1895, a new company was formed, Thomas S. Murphy & Co
which Mr. Don was elected treasurer, and which office he now holds. Mr. Don
active in the politics of the Republican party at the time of the late John F. Smyth
and was a charter member of the Capital City Club in 1868, and is also a member o:
the Unconditional Club. In 1883 he married Harriet S. Cochrane of Ogdensburg
N. v., and she died the same year.

Gibbons, Erastus, born in Coeymans, January 11, 1842, is a son of Erastus and
Martha (Wheat) Gibbons. Erastus Gibbons, sr. , was a native of Westerlo and she
of Albany; the grandparents, John, came from Dutchess county to Westerlo in pio-
neer days. Erastus, father of Erastus Gibbons. ]r., was a carpenter by trade and
resided in Coeymans for some years, Init spent his last days in Westerlo on a farm
and died in 1873; Mrs. Gibbons died in 1N71. iMastus Gibbons, jr., was edutated at
the academy at Coeymans and in 1867 married Carrie E., daughter of Abner Garret,
of Westerlo, and to Mr. and Mrs. Gibbons have been born eight children ; Mattie, wife



260

of William Fish, of the N. Y. C. R. R., Syracuse, N. Y. ; Nettie, Estella and Bertie,
now living; Adella, died aged six years; Willie, died age ten years; Jessie, died age
ten years, and Erastus died aged two years. Mrs. Gibbons died in 1888. From the
farm Mr. Gibbons went into general mercantile business in Dormansville in 1866,
and with the exception of two years has carried on the business to the present time.
He was postmaster under Cleveland, during his last term. In 1863 Mr. Gibbons
enlisted in Co. D, N. Y. Vol. Inft. , but was soon honorably discharged on account of

sickness. He is a member of Post S. Evan N. , G. A. R., and a Republican.

Shultes, Abrain, a landmark and well known citizen of Berne, was born in Berne
(now Knox) March, 1827. The parent tree of the Shultes family in America was Ma-
thias (Mottise) Shultes, who was born in Holland in 1726, his father being killed the
same year by religious persecutors, the mother fearful that her own life and the life of
her child might also be sacrificed, fled to America with her babe, when he was but
six months of age. She settled in the woods (probably in Schoharie county) among
her Dutch friends and there reared her boy to manhood. He later became one of
the first settlers in the town of Berne and from time to time took up 400 acres of land,
made him a home and cared for his mother until the time of her death. He fought
Indians during the French and Indian war from 1754 to 1763, and fought Tories and
Indians during the war of the Revolution. During this war, the Indians and Tories
were determined to kill him and many a time he was obliged to seek shelter in the
woods, to escape from their attacks. His son William was lieutenant of a regiment
during the Revolutionary war. He reared six sons and several daughters. Lieut.
Wm. Shultes, the grandfather of Abram, was a native of Berne, where he was a
farmer. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war and died when forty-five years
of age. His wife was a Miss Post, daughter of the notorious tory Jacob Post, and
they had four children. For his second wife he married Miss Sternberger, by whom
two children were born. Peter W. Shultes, Abram's father, was born on the home-
stead in 1801. He came in possession of one of his father's farms and succeeded in
accumulating a large property and at the time of his death was worth §40,000. His
wife was Magdalene West, daughter of Peter and granddaughter of the celebrated
artist Sir William West and they had twelve children, but only five grew to, maturity.
He died in 1853 and his wife survived him many years and died at the home of her
son, Abram. Abram Shultes attended the the common district school and took an
academic course at the Gallupville Academy. When nineteen years of age he began
teaching, this he followed about six months of the year for several years, when he
settled on the homestead, where he remained until forty years of age, when the farm
was sold and divided among the heirs; he then bought his present farm of 160 acres
on West' Mountain and moved there in 1867 and he owns another farm of 120 acres
in the town of Rensselaerville. In 1855 he married Margaret Turner, born in Eng-
land and a daughter of George and Dorotha (Pptter) Turner, who came to America
with his family in 1832. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Shultes a.'-e Florence (wife
of Wallace R. Peasley), George D., De Forest, Mary, Alice, Joseph T., Charles A.,
William J., Margaret and Susan E. George, Joseph and William are now in Cortez
Valley, Nevada, in the silver mines. George Turner, father of Mrs. Shultes, was
born in England in 1772. He was a farmer and cartman, carting coal principallj-.
He settled in Berne on West Mountain in 1832 and died October 10, 1833. His wife,



261

Dorothy, was born in 1786 and died December 15, 1838 and they had eight children:
George, Margaret, Joseph Jonathan, Elizabeth, Mary, Susan and Leah.

Rice, Joseph Taft, who for many years was prominently identified with Albany's
interests, was born in Shrewsbury, Mass., January 22. 1787. He was a lineal de-
scendant from ?"dmund Rice, who was born in Wales in 1594, moved to Hertford-
shire, England, and in 1638, with his wife and seven children came to this country
and settled in Sudbury, Mass. He died at Marlboro, Mass., March 3, 1663, and was
buried at Sudbury. Joseph Taft Rice settled in Albany in 1808 and engaged in the
most extensive manufacture of silver ware west of New Yoik city, continuing it until
1832. Many of the older citizens yet have the productions of his manufacture which
are highly prized as heirlooms and for their sterling worth. September 4, 1811, he
married Jane, daughter of Gilbert Gumming of Strothspay, Scotland ; they were
blessed with thirteen children all born and reared in this city. One of his sons was
killed in the late war and the others have honorably filled responsible public posi-
tions. Mr. Rice was one of the original members of the Republican Artillery organ-
ized in/1810. He was closely affliated with De Witt Clinton, William H. Swan,
iThurlow Weed and other public men of that period. He was very noticeable for his
commanding figure and walk and was of a genial temperament. He died June 19,
18.54.

Worraer, Eliakim F., was born in the town of Guilderland, November 15, 1847.
Peter and Mooney (Brougham) Wormer, his great-grandparents, were natives of
Holland, and migrated to America and settled on Black Creek, in the town of Guil-
derland. He lived to an old age and his wife, Mooney, lived to the age of 104 years,
and retained remarkable physical and mental strength to the last. Cornelius, the
next in line, was born in Guilderland about 1778, and became an active and success-
ful farmer. He was prominent and influential in public affairs, and gave each of his
sons a good start in life by placing them on farms of their own. His wife was Sarah
Relyea; he lived to be nearly ninety-two and his wife lived to be ninety-five. They
reared five sons and two daughters. Frederick, the father of Eliakim, was born in
Guilderland in October, 1814. He has spent all his active life successfully as a farmer
in his native town. For a number of years he lived in Guilderland Center, where he
owns property. He passes his time by attending to his garden and small fruit
growing. He and his wife are well preserved and spry old people and enioying the
comforts of Hfe. His wife was Marie Blessing, who was born in the town of Guil-
derland, June 5, 1816. Their children are Eliakim F., Francis, Rufus, Daniel, Fred-
erick, William, David, Sarah and Hannah. Eliakim spent his early life on his
father's farm, and attended the common district schools. When about twenty-one
he engaged in business for himself as a dealer in apples, potatoes and other farm
produce which he followed a few years with fair success; he then engaged in farm-
ing, which vocation he has followed successfully to the present date. He is the
most extensive apple grower in this section of the country. For some years past he
has been a breeder of registered Holstein cattle and Shropshire sheep, he is also the
owner of a fine thoroughbred French coach stallion. He was road commissioner of
Guilderland for a number of years. In 1872 he married Eliza, daughter of James
and Marie (Hallenbeck) Fryer; she was born in the town of Guilderland in 1851.

jPaddock, Edward, son of William S. and Magdalen (Houghtaling) Paddock, was



262

born in Albany, N. Y., in 1859. William S. Paddock, the father of the Kubject of
this sketch, was prominently identified with Albany interests and was for twelve
years recorder and for two years acting mayor of Albany. Edward Paddock attend-
ed the public schools and after completing his education he obtained a clerkship in
the office of Smith, Craig & Co., lumber dealers. He remained there seven years,
after which he was a clerk in the office of William McEwan, coal merchant, for five
years. In 1890 Mr. Paddock opened a general sporting goods store at No. 93 State
street and has since carried on a successful business there. He is a member of
Temple Lodge No. 14, F. & A. M., Capital City Chapter No. 242. R. A. M., De Witt
Clinton Council No. 22, R. & S. M., and Temple Commandery No.,.!. Mr. Paddock
is also a member of the Albany County Wheelmen and was at one time its treasurer.
September 10, 1890, he married Miss Mary Underbill of Albany, and they have one
daughter. Ruth Magdalen.

Fisher, David A., was born in I8;i4, and is the son of Daniel G., who was born in
1808 and died in 1860, and grandson of Duncan, and great-grandson of Daniel
Fisher, who was among the first settlers of Berne, in 1770. Mr. Fisher came to
Bethlehem in 1856 and to his present home in 1881, where he is a farmer. He mar-
ried Mary M. Long, and they have four sons and three daughters; Burton (who is a
lawyer) Frederick D., Richard L. and David D., Anna, Eleanor and Maria D.

Elmendorf, William Burgess, was born in Albany, N. Y., February 8, 1856. He
is a son of John Elmendorf, jr., who was born March 3, 1819, and Caroline M. Bur-
gess, and is directly descended from Jacobus Coenradt Van Elmendorf, who was
born in Holland, came to America in 1652, and who married Greitje Aertse Van
Wagenen in Kingston, N. Y., April 25, 1667, the ceremony being performed by a
justice of the court with the consent of the bride's mother, inasmuch as the bride
being under age, the Dutch church would not or could not perform the ceremony.
All of Mr. Elmendorf's intermediate ancestors were born in Kingston, N. V., and
are as follows, commencing with the son of Jacobus Coenradt Van Elmendorf, Coen-
radt Elmendorf, who married Ariaantje Geritse Vandenburg at Albany, N. Y., June
28, 1693; Cornelius Abraham Elmendorf who married Engeltje Heermans; Abraham
Elmendorf who served in the Revolutionary war and who married Anaatje Crispell,
April 22, 1758; and John Elmendorf, grandfather of William B., who married Mar-
garet Folant. Mr. Elmendorf, the subject of this sketch, graduated from the Albany
Stale Normal School in 1871, and spent two years at the Albany Academy and one
year at the Albany Business College. He is a thorough transportation man and be-
lieves in his business. For twenty-five years he has represented (with his father,
the late Capt. John Elmendorf who died March 11, 1885), the popular Hudson River
Day Line Steamers. Mr. Elmendorf is a member of the Society of the Sons of the
Revolution, the Holland Society of New York, Royal Arcanum and the Albany City
Curling Club. In May, 1877, he married Isabel H. Dalton, daughter of William
Dalton. president of the Albany Exchange Savings Bank and late of the lumber firm
of Dalton & Kibbee. She died m 1887, and by her Mr. Elmendorf had one son (de-
ceased) and one daughter, Edna. In 1889 he married Victoria O'Brien, daughter of
the late Wilham O'Brien, esq., of the banking house of O'Brien 6c Meridith of Mon-
treal, and also Canadian representative of the Grand Trunk Railway. They have
three children, Enid, Jean and Alice.



263

Alexander, Thomas, was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1858. George Alex-
ander, his father, was a native of Edinburgh, and was a carpenter by trade, but be-
came one of the largest builders and contractors in the city of Edinburgh, some
times employing as high as three hundred men at a time. He was a man of pro-
gression, with great business ability and accumulated a good fortune. He made two
trips to America, and was preparing for his third trip when death overtook him in
August, 1892. His wife was Ann Murray, by whom sixteen children were born,
seven sons and five daughters, who all grew to maturity. Thomas Alexander re-
ceived a common school education and learned the mason's and stone cutter's trade.
He worked with, and assisted his father for fourteen years, till 1885, when he left
home and sailed for America, landing in Quebec, Canada, where he remained two
weeks. While with his sister at Port Dover, he learned of the magnificent capitol
building under way of erection in the city of Albany, and concluded that was the
city for him, and after visiting Niagara Falls and ButTalo, he landed in Albany with
but twenty-five cents in his pocket. He immediately sought and found employment
as a mason, borrowing money from a stranger to buy his tools, and began work.
He was not long to see the good qualities of the Helderberg blue flag stone and con-
cluded to engage in the stone business; consequently in 1887, in partnership with
his employer, he purchased fifteen acres of stone land where his quarry is now lo-
cated, and later came in possession of the entire quarry, and subsequently purchased
the remaining eighty acres on which the quarry is located, and after hard toil and
careful supervision has opened up and developed one of the finest and largest quar-
ries in the State, which is second to none in the country. In March, 1894, he married
Miss Hannah Smith of Berne, a daughter of Henry J. Smith; she died five months
later.

Warren, Henry P., is one of the leading educators of the State and comes from
the East. He spent most of his boyhood in Gorham, Me., where his father, the late
Rev. Dr. William Warren resided. Mr. Warren attended the Gorham Academy,
Gorham. Me., until 1855 when he entered Phillips Academy at Andover, Mass., then
under the administration of Dr Samuel L. Taylor. Mr. Warren spent a year teach-
ing in Merrimac, Mass, and was graduated from Yale in 1870. That same year he
became principal of the Fifth Street Grammar School at New Bedford, Mass., wheie
he remained a year and a half and then went to Dover, N. H., where he was prin-
cipal of the Dover High School. He was obliged to go South for his health in 1875,
and remained three years, when he returned to Dover. He took charge of the N. H.
State Normal School in 1879 for four years, then went to Lawrenceville, N. J., and
with six others established the Lawrenceville School, a preparatory boarding school.
He remained there until January, 1887. In August, 1886, he was elected principal
of the Albany Academy.

Brunk, James H., was born January 8, 1840, m the town of Berne on the farm he
now owns. Nicholas Brunk, his grandfather, was born in the Mohawk Valley, of
Holland ancestry and was a descendant from one of five brothers who migrated from
Holland and settled along the Mohawk River as pioneers; Nicholas settled in the
town of Knox, where he cleared him a farm and made him a home on 130 acres of
land. His wife was Elizabeth Miller and their children were Mathias, Hannah,
Henry, Jacob, Gittie Ann, Eva, Catherine and Lydia. Henry Brunk, the father of



■264

James, was born in Knox February 38. 1806, where he was a lifelong farmer. He
married Rebecca Fowler who was born in Berne on the farm now owned by her .son,
March 17, 1809. After his marriage, he purcha.sed from his father-in-law the farm of
146 acres and there spent his life. Their children were Alraira, Lydia Ann, Jabez,
James H.. Elizabeth, Catherine S., Nicholas J., and Edgar. He died December 13,
1865, and his wife May 36, 1893. She was a daughter of Lewis Fowler, who was a
native of England and came to America in the time of the Revolutionary war and
served seven years m the war. James H. Brunk has spent his life on the homestead
farm. When a boy he attended the common district schools, but after the death of
his father, he hired the farm from his mother and the other heirs and in 1868 pur-
chased it and has added to it since then twenty-seven acres, where he has devoted
his attention to a general farming and the breeding of fine grade cattle. Mr. Brunk
has filled the office of overseer of the poor for several years. He is an influential
member of the Patrons of Industry and president of the Evening Star Lodge of
Berne. March 4, 1865, he married Louisa E. Hungerford of Berne, and their chil-
dren are Willie J., Frank T.. Hattie (who died when nineteen), Lena, Alfred and
Leroy.

Cuyler. Edward Cornelius, son of Jacob C. and Mary Elizabeth (Henley) Cuyler,
was born in Albany, N. Y., in 1859. He attended the Albany Academy, from which
he was graduated in 1878, after which he took a course at Yale University and was
graduated in 1883, receiving the degree of A. B. Mr. Cuyler has followed the pro-
fession of the newspaper man and has been connected with the E.xpress as city
editor under William Barnes, jr., and Walter F. Hurcomb; with the State; and the
Times-Union under the late Ira Wales. For the past eight years he has been special
correspondent for the New York Evening Post and various other papers throughout
the country. In 1883 he married Clarinda Helene Busley, and they have two daugh-
ters, Elizabeth and Kathryn.

Haines, Luther H., born in Westerlo, December 25, 1889, a son of Adam and Eliza
Ann (Hanney) Haines and grandson of Anthony Haines, who was reared in West-
erlo but went to Schoharie county, where he died. Adam Haines was a farmer six-
teen years in Coeymans, the remainder of his life was spent in Westerlo. Luther



Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 117 of 138)