Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 119 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 119 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Albany and formedhis present partnership with Eugene Burlingame. In November,
1895, he was appointed corporation counsel for the village of Greenbush. He has
been several terms a member of the executive council of the Delta L^psilon fraternity,
and is a member of the Cornell University Club and the Albany Republican Uncon-
ditionaLs. June 3, 1896, he married Katharine, daughter of Hiram L. Washburn of

Phibbs, Thomas, son of Thomas and Catharine (Donahy) Phibbs, was born in
Ireland, October 8, 1846. He was educated in the public schools of Ireland and in
1867 came to America and settled in Canada, where he followed the occupation of
farmer. Four years later he moved to Albany, N. Y., where he engaged m the ice
business with Hiram Hotaling, with whom he remained four years, at the end of
which time he started in the ice business for himself. In 1893 Mr. Phibbs was
elected president of the Hudson Valley Ice Company and has retained the office
ever since. Mr. Phibbs is a member of Greenbush Lodge, F. & A. M., Greenbush
Chapter, R. A. M., Dewitt Clinton Council, R. & S. M., and Temple Commandery,
A. A. O. N. M. S. He has three children: William, Lulu and Frank.

Sims, Albert F., superintendent of the Albany Weather Bureau, was born in
New Y'ork city, August 19, 1862, was graduated from the College of the City of New
V(H-k in 188C, and soon afterward entered the Signal Service Bureau in Washington,

D. C. Later he took a course at the School of Application at Fort Myers, and on
the outbreak of the Indian troubles in Arizona was ordered to the Apache Pass as
telegraph and heliograph operator, where he was soon placed in charge of the re-
peating station at St. Thomas. He was promoted for bravery and subsequently was
stationed at Dodge City, Kan., Fort Smith, Ark., and in Wyoming, where he built a
military line, 150 miles from Rawlins to Washakie. In 1888 he was ordered to Al-

bany to take charge of the Signal Bureau at this point, succeeding John C. Barnes,
who was the successor of Alois Donhausser. The Albany Weather Bureau was
established December 32, 1874, the observations being confined to taking the tem-
perature, wind directions and state of weather. Its scope was later enlarged and
now reports are received twice daily from all the signal stations in the United States.
The territory embraces all of the State east of Syracuse from Rhinebeck to Canada,
Western Massachusetts and Vermont, and during the year ending June 30. 1896,
over 300,000 forecasts were sent out. In October, 1890, Mr. Sims married Mary,
daughter of Capt. James B. Smith of Port Washington, Long Island.

Hubbard, George A., son of Miles and Maria C. (Cadman) Hubbard, was born in
Lexington, Ky., September 1, 1856. His parents moved to New York State when he
was an infant and he was educated in the Spencertown (N. Y.) Academy. He then
removed to Troy, N. Y., where for a time he was employed as cutter in the stores of
Morris Gross and Julius Saul, and subsequently he entered the employ of G. M.
Hitchins, manufacturer of ladies' underwear and calico wrappers, on Green Island.
After three years he went back to Julius Saul, but remained only a short time, for
Mr. Hitchins liked his work so well that he gave him an interest in the business as
an inducement to return. Later the business was moved to Hudson, N. Y., and
then to Albany, where, after tw-o years, Mr. Hubbard succeeded to the sole owner-
ship, and has since manufactured in his own name. In 1880 he married Florence
M., daughter of Thomas D. Davi.4 of Waterford, N. Y.

Woolverton, Andrew W., son of Charles B. and Harriet F". (White) Woolverton,
was born in Albany, N. Y. , October 29, 1857. He was educated in the Albany
Academy and in 1872 entered the employ of his grandfather, William White. In
1876 he went into the employ of the National Commercial Bank and left there as
bookkeeper in 1883 and formed a partnership with Thomas Austin for conducting
a general fire insurance agency, in which business he is now engaged. Mr. Wool-
verton is a trustee of St. Margaret's church at Menands, Albany county, and is the
treasurer of the Albany Board of Trade./ In 1884 he was married to Annie,
daughter of Dr. William H. Bailey, and they have two children, Edward B. and

Knickerbocker, Edmund Chase, is a lineal descendant of (1 ) John Von Berghan
Knickerbocker, of Brabant, Holland, a captain in the Dutch navy, whose son, (2) Har-
mon Jansen Knickerbocker, born in Friesland in 1648, came to America about 1669.
His American lineage is (8) Lawrence, of Red Hook, N.Y, ; (4) Harmon, born 1719; (5)
Harmon Jansen, born 1748; (6) Peter; (7) Edmund, born 1814; and (8) Irving, born
1839. The last two settled in Albany, where the subject of this sketch was born,
February 18, 1867. Edmund C. Knickerbocker w^as graduated from the Albany
Academy in 1884 as valedictorian of his class, and the same year entered Williams
College, from which he was graduated witll honor in 1888. He read law with Harris
& Rudd, was graduated from the Albany Law School in 1890, admitted to the bar in
May of the same year, and has remained in the oiifice of his preceptors ever since,
becoming a member of the firm in October, 1892. He was much interested in the
renewal of the Y. M. A. Library and is recording secretary of the executive com-
mittee of that association. He is superintendent of the Madison Avenue Reformed
church Sunday school, assistant superintendent of Olivet Sunday school and a mem-

ber of the Republican Unconditional Club and the Chi Psi Society. He married, in
1893, Josephine, daughter of Hon. Vreeland H. Youngman of Albany, and they
have one daughter, Winifred Chase Knickerbocker.

Guardineer, George H., son of John and Mary (Cathington) Guardineer, was born
in Bridgeport, Conn., June 9, 1852, and came with his parents to Albany in 1855. His
father, an iron moulder by trade, was for many years assistant superintendent of the
old State Capitol. When thirteen Mr. Guardineer, having finished his education in
the public schools, entered the photograph gallery of McDonald & Sterry and
remained with them and their successor, J. N. McDonald for twenty-seven years,
being a traveling salesman for the latter for twelve years. About 1867 Mr. McDon-
ald established in connection with the gallery a photographic supply business, which
Mr. Guardineer purchased November 1, 1894, and which he successfully continues,
carrying a large stock of all kinds of photographic materials. Mr. Guardineer was
the Republican supervisor of the Seventeenth ward in 1888; was a member of the
Board of Public Instruction from 1891 until it ceased to exist as an elective board ;
and is a member of Temple Lodge No. 14, F. & A. M., Capital City Chapter No. 242,
R. A. M., the A. O U. W., the Royal Arcanum, the Albany Burgesses Corps, the
Acacia and Unconditional Republican Clubs, the Knights of Pythias and the
Uniformed Rank K. of P., in which he is assistant adjutant-general with the rank
of colonel for the State of New York. In December, 1873, he married Emma Reid
of Voorheesville, N. Y. , and their children are Nellie and Frederick.

Havens, Elmer Hamilton, is a descendant of David Havens, born July 13. 1777,
and Elizabeth Goodrich, his wife, born December 3, 1785, daughter of a Revolution-
ary soldier. Their children were David Hyland, Allgenelte, Benjamin Franklin,
John Braddock and Walter Burling. Benjamin Franklin Havens, born May 22, 1810,
married Elizabeth Groesbeck, born m 1817, and had five children: Eugene Hiram,
Morton Hamilton, Timothy C, Emma and Caroline. Morton Hamilton Havens,
born July 27, 1838, married Elizabeth M. Bunker, born March 16, 1842; their children
were Edward Morton (deceased), Ella Elizabeth, Elmer Hamilton. Franklin, Marcia
Vanderlip, Alice Rebecca (deceased), Jessie May, Morton and Lydia Oliver. Mr.
Havens enlisted August 13. 1862, in Co. F, 113th N. Y. Inf. (afterward known as the
7th N. Y. H. A.), became sergeant August 18, and was promoted second lieutenant of
Bat. H, December 13, 1863. He was made second lieutenant of Co. D, 18th U. S.
Vet. Reserve Corps, with rank from September 22, 1864. On April 15, 1867. he was
appointed president of the Board of Registration of Prince Anne county, Va., mus-
tered out of service January 1, 1868, and brevetted first lieutenant February 10, and
captain March 30, 1866, by the Legislature of the State of New York for gallant
and meritorious conduct. Elmer Hamilton Havens, born in Albany, January 30,
1864, was educated in the public and high schools and when nineteen began to learn
the carpenter's trade of his father, with whom he continued as foreman several years.
In 1888 he engaged in business with his brother, Franklin, and since 1890 has been
alone. Among the many buildings erected by him are the Smith & Herrick shoe
factory, the Schell flats, and a number of residences on Pine Hills. He is a member
(if the Unconditional Republican Club and in 1895 was elected alderman of the
Eleventh ward for two years. September 21, 1886, he married Ida May, daughter of

Sydney Chapman and Aleitha (Rossman) Blakeman of Greenbush, N. Y., and their
children are Carrie, Aleitha, Elmer Hamilton, jr., and Sydney Chapman.

Dugan, Patrick C, son of James and Jane (Lowry) Dugan, natives of Ireland, wa.s
born in the town of Wright, Schoharie county, March 10, 1867. His father came to
America in 1851. Mr. Dugan was reared on a farm, taught school winters and was
graduated from the Schoharie Academy in 1884. He continued teaching until 1886,
when he began the study of law in the office of Stephen L. Mayham, then county
judge of Schoharie county and now a justice of the Supreme Court. He was admit-
ted to the bar of Albany November 30, 1889, and on December 1 formed a copartner-
ship with C. W. Hinman, which continued two years in Schoharie. February 32,
1893, he came to Albany, where he has since been in active practice. He has had
much experience in criminal law, and as a Democrat has been active in campaign
work. September 1, 1896, he married Agnes H., daughter of John J. O'Neill of

Jewett, Rev. Freeborn G., jr., son of Freeborn G. and Ella Kate (Taylor) Jewett,
was born in Poughkeepsie, N. Y., in 1866. He is a great-grandson of Hon. Freeborn
G. Jewett, who was the first chief justice of the Court of Appeals of New York
State, and who also was elected to Congress; and agrandnephew of the Hon. George
Riddell, United States Senator from Delaware, who was the first senator who died
before completing his term of office, and who was buried from the Capitol. Homer
A. Nelson, another great-uncle of Rev. Mr. Jewett, was secretary of state of New
York and at one time a candidate for the nomination for the office of governor. He
was also one of the four Democratic congressmen to vote for the abolition of slavery.
Mr. Jewett's step-grandfather Marvin, uncle of Gen. Selden E, Marvin, is the only
person living who received a commission from President Jackson. He is judge of
the Northern District of Florida. Since 1872 Mr. Jewett's father has been confiden-
tial clerk in the office of the secretary of state of New York. Rev. Freeborn G.
Jewett, jr., moved to Albany, N. Y.. in 1872 with his parents and completed the
course of instruction at the Albany Academy. He then entered Williams College
and was graduated in 1888 with the degree of B. A. He received the prize for elocu-
tion and while at college did considerable literary work, as the editor of the " Gul"
during his senior year and as one of the editors of the Williams Literary Monthly.
He was also a member of the Chi Psi fraternity. After completing his college
course, he was lay reader at Grace Episcopal church in Albany, meanwhile keep-
ing up his studies and teaching elocution in the Albany Academy during the school
year 1888-89. The first term of the fall of 1889 he spent at the Episcopal General
Theological Seminary in New York and then entered the Berkeley Divinity School
at Middletown, Conn., of which Bishop Williams, the presiding bishop of the
Protestant Episcopal Church in America, is dean. He was graduated from the in-
stitution on June 3. 1891, and ordained deacon by Bishop Williams. June 10, 1891,
he married Minnie Wasson, daughter of ex-Congressman John M. Bailey of Albany.
June 31, 1891, he became assistant minister of St. Paul's church in Albany and on
December 17, of the same year, he was ordained priest by Bishop Doane. In
February, 1892, he was unanimously elected rector of St. Paul's church and during
his pastorate many new branches of church work have been established, among
which may be mentioned the Brotherhood of St. Andrew and a chapel in the west


end of the city. Mr. Jewett is a member of tlie Board of Visitors of the Albany
Female Academy.

Barends, Frederick J., son of Frederick and Elizabeth (Schippers) Barends, was
born in Amsterdam, Holland, August 10, 1856. He was educated in the public schools
of Holland and in March, 1869, came to America and settled in Albany, N. Y., where
for a short time he attended school, and subsequently worked two years in the print-
ing office of the late Joel Munsell. He then went into the employ of the B. W.
Wooster furniture company, where he remained twenty-five years. January 1, 1896,
he was appointed deputy county clerk of Albany county and he fills the office most
acceptably. In 1890 he was nominated for the New York State Assemby by the
Republicans of the first district of Albany county and was defeated, but had the sat-
isfaction of reducing the Democratic majority considerably. In November, 1880, he
married Hannah Feig of Albany.

Higgins, Michael E., chief of the Albany Fire Department, is a son of John and
Elizabeth (Mullin) Higgins, natives of Ireland, who, about 1844, settled in Albany
where they died, the former in 1856 and the latter in 1885. Michael Higgins was
born in Albany, January 17, 1845, received a public school education and when
eleven became a newsboy ; later he was an engineer on the river, learned the ma-
chinist's trade and from 1860 to 1869 was first engineer in Clark, GifEord & Judson's
old flour mill. In 1869 he was relief engineer and afterward engineer of Steamer
No. 6, which position he held eleven years, when he resigned but continued on as a
hoseman. For three years from 1878 he was also engaged in the meat business, and
in 1879, 1880 and 1881, served as supervisor of the Fifteenth ward. From 1880 to 1886
he was city marshal; in 1885 he was appointed assistant exgineer, and in 1886, on
the death of James McQuade, chief engineer of the Albany Fire Department and has
since held the latter position. He has been continuously connected with the fire de-
partment since 1864, holding every post and becoming a member of the present (paid)
force in 1867. For several years he was an active Democrat, a member of various
political conventions and first assistant marshal of the Albany Phalanx, and is a mem-
ber of the A. O. U. W. , and the Exempt Firemen's Association. In 1870 he mar-
ried Elizabeth L., daughter of James Gallagher of Albany, and they have had five
children; John F., Edward J., and Jennie C, who are living, and Hattie and Martin
Delehanty, deceased.

Krumaghim, Eugene, was born in the town of Guilderland, Albany county, N. Y. ,
April 3, 1853. In 1860 he removed to Albany and was graduated from the Albany
High School in 1873. During the years of 1880 and 1881 he was principal of the High
School at Oilman, 111. Since that time he has been engaged in mercantile pursuits
in Albany, and he is at present connected with Weidman & Co., wholesale grocers.
He was president of the Young Men's Association for one term and during his in-
cumbency of that office the §50,000 for Harmanus Bleecker Hall was raised by pop-
ular subscription. He is past master of Wadsworth Lodge F. &- A. M. and is prom-
inently connected with the Unconditional and Press Clubs.

Condon, William R., born in Albany, September 28, 1870, is a son of Thomas A.
and Helen J. (Keeney) Condon, and a grandson of James Condon, a native of Ire-
land, who settled in Albany when seventeen years of age and died here in May, 1896,


aged eighty eight. James was one of the first dyers in the capital city and continued
in that business for fifty years. He also served as alderman and supervisor. He
married Margaret J. Hennessy, who died at the age of thirty-five, leaving nine chil-
dren, all deceased. Thomas A. Condon, born in 1851, was a manufacturer of mat-
tresses, deputy sheriff and a detective on the police force, and died March 8, 1895.
His wife died October 13, 1894, leaving two children, William R. and Mary J. Will-
iam R. Condon, when fifteen, became a clerk in the Albany freight office of the D. &
H. C. Co., where he remained nine years. February 15, 1896, he formed a copart-
nership with Joseph A. Wisely, as Condon & Wisely, and engaged in the retail busi-
ness of hats, caps, men's furnishings, etc. December 15, 1891, he became a member
of Co. B, 10th Bat., N. G. N. Y. On June G, 1894, he married Madeline D., daugh-
ter of William Bailie of Albany.

Cook, Alfred, son of William J. and Margaret (Risk) Cook, was born in Albany,
June 3, 1858, was educated at the Boys' Academy and was graduated from the Al-
bany Normal College in 1878. Shortly afterwards he obtained a situation as assist-
ant bookkeeper with Haskell & Gallup, wholesale dealers in coffees, teas and spices,
where he remained until they went out of business in 1881, when he engaged with
Tracy, Wolverton & Wilson, wholesale grocers, as shipper. Serving in this capacity
for about six months, he was promoted to represent the concern on the road. In
1883 Mr. Wolverton retired and the business was carried on by Tracy & Wilson.
Mr. Cook contmued to represent them until 1888, when he became the junior mem-
ber of the concern of Tracy, Wilson & Cook. In 1890 he purchased the entire busi-
ness and is now located at No. 45 Hudson avenue, as a wholesale jobber in tea, coffee
and spices. He is one of the charter members of the Albany Commercial Travelers'
Club, a member of the Commercial Travelers' Mutual Accident Association of
America and honorary member of the Fort Johnson Club, Johnstown, N. Y. His
father came to Albany from Galway, N. Y. , and was engaged in the wholesale gro-
cery business until his death, being a member of the firms of Cook & Wing, and
Cook, Wing & Wooster.

Walsh, Henry Haswell, is a descendant of Dudley Walsh, a native of the North of
Ireland, who becam.e a settler and one of the early mayors of Albany, where he died.
He married Sarah Stevenson, September 24, 1793. Their son, John Stevenson
Walsh, a member of the hardware firm of Godfrey & Walsh of Albany, died Febru-
ary 15, 1857, aged sixty-five. He married Laura (born April 16, 1811), daughter of
John and Abbie (Spencer) Townsend. Dudley Walsh, their son, born in Bethlehem,
Albany county. May 8, 1841, enlisted February 18, 1862, in Co. D. 90th N. Y. Vol. Inf.,
as second lieutenant; March 16, 1863, he was promoted captain of Co. K, 134th N. Y.
Vols., and was discharged August 7, 1865. He was three years in the Albany post-
office and some time a produce merchant. April 26, 1865, he married Josephine A.,
daughter of Col. H(^nry B. and Elizabeth (Trowbridge) Haswell of Albany, and they
have had six children: John Stevenson (married April 20, 1896, Grace Shutter),
Henry H., Laura Townsend, Dudley, jr. (died in infancy), James (died in infancy),
and Elizabeth Trowbridge. Henry Haswell Walsh, born November 30, 1867, was
educated in the public schools and Albany Academy and spent several years in the
hardware stores of M. E. Viele, Woodward & Hill and J. E. Taylor & Co. In 1892
he started his present harness manufacturing establishment. June 27, 1894, he mar-
ried Addie, daughter of Henry Vine of Albany.


Wells, Anton, born in Germany, August 34, 1835, came to America in 1837 and
settled in Albany, where he has since resided. He learned the trade of grate and
fender maker, and in 1849 purchased the retail stove and heating establishment of
James Goadby, which he has since successfully conducted, being one of the oldest
and best known stove dealers in the city. He is an extensive dealer in grates, fire-
places, hot air furnaces, stoves, ranges, etc. In 1850 he married Caroline Oberist, a
native of Germany, and they have had seven children: Polly (Mrs. Prieser), Louis,
Amelia, Edward, Theodore (deceased), Reinhart and Caroline.

Hartt, Eugene R., son of Chauncey N. and Sophia J. (Ross) Hartt, was born in
Niagara county, N. Y., April 30, 1845, was educated in private schools at Gasport,
N. Y. , and at the Albany Boys' Academy, and first engaged in buying grain in the
West for Albany houses. Later he became a clerk in the Merchants' National Bank
of Albany, bookkeeper for Mills & McMartin, and in 1870 a member of the wholesale
grocery firm of William J. Cook & Co., which ceased business in 1873. He then en-
tered the employ of Albert Wing, Son & Co., wholesale grocers. In 1887 this firm
adopted its present name of Wing Bros. & Hartt (see sketch of Albert J. Wing). Mr.
Hartt is a member of the Fort Orange Club and was for about two years a water
commissioner. He married Ada B., daughter of William J. Cook, and has one
daughter. Marguerite H.

Conway, Joseph A., is the son i)f Michael and Ann Conway, who removed from
New York city to Albany in 1858. Michael was for many years connected with the
Albany police force, was the first captain of the present police department, was a
mason by trade, and was deputy county sheriff at the time of his death. May 5, 1880.
Joseph A. Conway, born October 37, 1858, in Albany, was educated in the High
School and in the fall of 1875 became a student in the law office of Hawley & McNa-
mara, with whom he began active practice upon his admission to the bar in 188U.
Later he formed a taw copartnership with his brother, Martin D. Conway, afterward
surrogate, which continued for six years. Since then he has practiced alone. He
was the Democratic candidate for judge of the Justice's Court in the spring of 1880,
but was defeated, though he ran 900 ahead of his ticket. In 1887 his brother was
elected police justice, but after serving eighteen months resigned and was elected
county surrogate. October 38, 1890, Mr. Conway married Louisa A., daughter of
Frank Maxsteadt of Albany. They have had three children, all deceased.

Moore Brothers, Veterinarians. — Henry C. Moore was born in Ripley, England,
August 13, 1838, and came to America with his parents, Henry and Emma Moore,
in 1853, settling in Cortland, N. Y. Henry Moore was a well known veterinary sur-
geon, being a student of Statham, the celebrated veterinarian of Derby, England.
He practiced successfully in Cortland and later in Poughkeepsie, N. Y. , and about
1873 came to Albany, where he continued his profession until he retired in 1886.
Henry C. Moore was educated at the Cortland Academy and studied veterinary
surgery with his father. Edward Moore was born in Cortland county, August 17,
1855, was graduated from the Poughkeepsie Academy, and in 1877 was graduated
from the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons of London, England. The two
brothers were associated more or Jess with their father until his retirement in 188(i,
when they succeeded him and established their present veterinary hospital in Hudson
which is without doubt the largest and most complete of its kind in America.


Here all domestic animals are treated in the departments of pharmacy, surgery,
dentistry, etc. The firm also has permanent charge of the leading stock farms and
private herds throughout the country and is the best known in the United States,
havmg a national reputation. Henry C. Moore is a member of Apollo Lodge No. 13,
F. & A. M., of Troy, Temple Coramandery No. 2. K. T., Cyprus Temple, Nobles of
the Mystic Shrine, and the Acacia Club of Albany. Edward Moore was for seven
years a member of Co. A, 10th Battalion, and is a member of the Old Guard Zouave
Cadets. While in England he was cattle plague inspector for the English govern-
ment in 1877, having charge of the London district. He has done much for State
and local boards of health, has long been the veterinarian in charge of the Albany
Fire Department, and since about 1880 has been the veterinary editor of the Country

McCombe, James, was born March 20, 1834, in the town of Ayr, Scotland, where
he began learning the trade of dyer, which he finished in Glasgow. He came to
America in August, 1854, settling first in New York city, where he remained eleven
years. He .spent two years in Troy and came to Albany August 1, 1867; here he

Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 119 of 138)