Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 124 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 124 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Huron, Wayne county, N. Y., March 7, 1865. He was educated at the Sodus (N.Y.)
Academy and the Auburn High School, after which he taught school for four years
at Alton, Hydes, and North Huron, N. Y. In 1890 he entered the State Normal
College at Albany, N Y., and was graduated in 1893. He was then appointed
principal of the First Ward school, which position he held until August 14, 1895, when
he was appointed superintendent of schools of West Troy, which oflfice he now fills.
June 23, 1886, Mr. Gatchell married Eva L., daughter of James Barnes of Huron,
N. Y.

Shiland, John C, M. L)., is the son of Dr. Alexander Shiland, a prominent physician
of West Troy until his death in 1886. The latter was well known for his professional
standing throughout the county, and was health officer for many j-ears. Dr. J. C.
Shiland was born at Waterford in 1855, and was one year old when his father began
practice here. He was educated at Troy High School and entered Albany Medical
College in 1875, graduating in 1878. He had occupied many clerical po.sitions before
beginning his profession. Dr. Shiland made a special research into the diseases of
the eye and ear, but his practice now is that of a general nature. He is very devoted
to his labor and has been successful ; he is also very popular outside of his profes-

Cole, Frederick S., M. D., has but recently located at West Troy, but is a native
of the county. He was born in the town of Westerlo, February 22, 1864, where his
boyhood was passed. Prior to entering college he studied medicine in the office of
Dr. S. Weir Mitchell, the celebrated specialist of Philadelphia. This experience was
of great benefit, Dr. Mitchell being a recognized authority on nervous disease. In
1888 Dr. Cole graduated from Columbia College and then entered the College of
Physicians and Surgeons for a three years' course, becoming a full-fledged Escu-
lapian in 1891, and beginning practice in Long Island, during which period he ac-
quired some valuable hospital experience, and attended McLean's Maternity Hos-
pital and the Vanderbilt Clinic. His training has been thorough and no doubt his
success will become commensurate. He recently opened a drug store at No. 416
Fourteenth street, West Troy.

Le Roy, Isaac, son of Henry S. and Bridget (Purcell) Le Rov, was born March 15,
1850, in West Troy, N. Y. He was educated at St. Bridget's School in West Troy,
at the Christian Brothers' Academy in Troy, and at the Troy Business College, grad-
uating from the latter in 1866. He obtained a clerkship in his father's grocery store
in West Troy, and upon his father's death, in 1878, succeeded to the business which
he has since conducted. Since April 1, 1896, he has conducted a laundry in connec-
tion with the grocery. In 1873 he was elected clerk of the town of Watervliet for a
terra of two years and in 1892 was re-elected for another term. Mr. Le Roy is a
charter member of the Gleason Hook and Ladder Company and has been an active
fireman for the last twenty-five years. He is a member of Trinity Council.
C. B. L., and was one of the prime movers in having the streets of West Troy
named and numbered. •

Varney, F. E., is of French ancestry and a native of Canada, Ijorn in 1818. Since
1851 he has been a prominent and honored citizen of West Troy, where he is en-


gaged in the millwright and tanner's business. Mr. Yarney has been a faithful ad-
herent of the Republican party since its organization. He is a member of the Dutch
Reformed church and a promoter of all movements tending towards the advance-
ment of the interests of his city. Of his three children, only one survives, Mrs.
James Andrews of Watervliet.

Foley, James H., one of the trustees of what was then the village of West Troy,
was elected i'n 1886 and has served in that capacity the longest of any of the present
officers. He was also elected town clerk in 1894, serving two years. Mr. Foley is a
native of Watervliet, born in 1859, and is a son of Denis Foley, a farmer and a milk-
man, now retired. Mr. Foley always lived on his father's farm until he engaged in
the liquor store at No. 16 Broadway, his present location. He is a member of the
Gleason Hook and Ladder Company and was a member of the Volunteer Hose
Company until their disbandment.

Nangle, Martin E., born in East Waterford, Perry county. Pa., December 31, 1848,
is a son of Martin and Isabella Bensha (Sturgess) Nangle. Martin, a native of Lon-
don, England, settled in Philadelphia about 1830 as a silversmith, and died in East
Waterford in 1855, aged si.Kty-five, leaving these children: Edward J., of Nebraska,
who served one year in the Civil war; Joseph R., Julia S. (Mrs Van Schaack) of
Albany; Mary Emma (Mrs. Cunningham) of Nebraska; Martin E. of Albany, and
one deceased. Joseph R. enlisted in September, 1861, in Co. A, 49th Pa. Vols., and
served until October, 1864. He settled in Albany in 1867 as foreman of the car de-
partment of what is now the D. & H. C. R. R., and since 1880 has been engaged in
the coal business. In 1867 he married Elizabeth B., daughter of J. D. Howell, a
major in the war of the Rebellion, of Juniata county. Pa. Mrs. Isabella B. (Sturgess)
Nangle, a member of two eld Albany families, Sturgess and Bensha, was born in
the Captain Schuyler mansion at the head of Schuyler street. Martin E. Nangle en-
listed in September, 1864, in Co. 5, 202d Pa. Vol.s., and after the war engaged in
railroading, settling in Albany in 1866. In 1876 he became associated with William
E. Griffin, an undertaker of Greenbush, and in 1878 engaged in the same business
for himself in Albany as a member of the firm of Tedford & Nangle. Since 1883 he
has conducted an undertaking establishment alone. He is a member of Ancient
City Lodge, Capital City Chapter, De Witt Clinton Council and Temple Command-
ery of Masons; Chancellors Lodge No. 58, K. P. ; L. O. Morris Post No. 121, G. A.
R. ; Clinton Lodge No. 7, and New York Encampment No. 1, I. O. O. F., and the
Albany County Undertakers' Association. In 1870 he married Elizabeth 'Van
Schaack, daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Van Shaack) Reamer, and a grand-
daughter of Derick and Elizabeth (Tygart) Van Schaack of Albany.

Wygant, Elmer E., son of Thomas H. and Mary J. (Hoes) Wygant, was born in
Albany, N. Y., August 3. 1861. His ancestors were Holland Dutch, and the first one
who came to this country settled in what is now Ulster county in the sixteenth cen-
tury. Mr. Wygant's father organized the Wygant Express Company in 1858 and
conducted the affairs of said company until 1889, when he sold out to the Consolidated
Transfer Company. Elmer E. Wygant was educated in the public schools of Albany
and afterwards worked for his father. In 1884 he was made superintendent of the
Wygant Express Company and retained the position until 1889, when he bought out
the Albany Cork Works. After two years the business was burned out and Mr.

Wygant was, in 1892, appointed recording clerk in the office of the county clerk,
James D. Walsh ; he still retains the position. He is a member of Wadsworth Lodge
\o. 417, F. & A. M., the Royal Arcanum, several Republican clubs and is the leader
of the Eighteenth ward of Albany. In the fall of 1891 he was a deputy United States
marshal. In 1892 he was married to Ethel, daughter of Norman Burdick of Albany.

MacHarg, Martin, M. D., son of Horatio and Agnes (Veeder) MacHarg, was born
in New Scotland, Albany county, N. Y., August 15, 1862. He is of Scotch descent,
his ancestors having come from Scotland some time previous to the Revolution. Dr.
MacHarg attended the district schools, and after removing to Albany he attended
the Institute of Amos Cass and later the State Norma! School. In 1883 he attended
the Medical College and graduated in 1885, receiving the degree of M. D. He prac-
ticed one year in Dorniansville, Albany county, and since then he has practiced in
Albany city. Dr. MacHarg is a member of Masters Lodge No. 5, F. & A. ^f.', the
Albany County Medical Society, the Albany Camera Club, and the Unconditional
Republican Club. In 1889 he married Minnetta, daughter of Benjamin Crouse of
Altamont, Albany county. They have one .son, Alan.

Skinner. David F., son of Philip and Anne (Benjamin) Skinner, was born in Lon-
don, England, November 3, 1827. He was educated in Dean Stanhope .School, Lon-
don, and later worked for the British government as boiler maker for five years.
In 18.53 he came to America and settled in Syracuse, N. Y. , and in 1855 he removed
to Albany. N. Y., where he was employed by the New York Central Railroad. In
1863 Mr. Skinner formed a partnership with Joseph Arnold and they have since done
a very large business as boilermakers, under the firm name of Skinner & Arnold.
Mr. Skinner was at one time vice-president of the South End Bank and for a few
years president of St. George's Society. November 9, 1857, he married Elizabeth,
daughter of George Masters of New York, and they have six children: David F. ,
Ephraim C, William N., Jane, Elizabeth and Minnie.

Gilbert, Hon. Francis Russell, is a descendant of New England and Scotch an-
cestors and was born September 20, 1830, in the town ofStamford, Delaware county,
N. Y. He is a son of Benjamin Gilbert, who was a farmer residing in the town of
Stamford. His mother was Mary Falconer, daughter of Archibald Falconer, a
Scotchman. His grandfather, Jesse Gilbert, was a native of Connecticut, born
about 1757. and when a young man removed to Dutchess county, N. Y.. and during
the Revolution served his country most gallantly, engaging in those memorable
skirmishes and bloody conflicts with the British, Tories and Indians. He survived
the war and lived to be nearly eighty years old, dying on the old Stamford home-
stead about 1837. Francis R. Gilbert attended the common schools and later a pub-
lic school at Amherst, Mas.s. He next attended for two years a select school and
academy in the village of Stamford, after which he taught for two or three terms, in
the intervals working on the- farm until he was twenty-four years old. He then
entered the office of Sheldon A. Givens, a prominent lawyer of Harpersfierd, who
subsequently practiced law in Catskill, N. Y. After leaving the office of Mr. Givens,
he attended the Albany Law School from which he was graduated in the spring of
18.56, having been admitted to the bar in the previous fall. Soon afterward he was
admitted to practice in the United States Courts. In the fall of 1856 he opened a
law office in the village of Stamford, and .since that time he has enjoyed a remarkable


practice, trying many cases, both civil and criminal, and among all the criminal
trials he has defended not one of his clients was ever convicted. Judge Gilbert has
always taken a lively interest in political affairs. In 1863 and 1863 he was elected as
a Democratic member of assembly from Delaware county. He was a delegate to the
National Convention which met in Chicago in 1884, and nominated Grover Cleveland
for the presidency. In Ma^^ 1887, he was appointed by Governor Hill one of the
judges of the Si.\th Judicial District, to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of
Judge Murray. He was appointed in 1891 a member of the State Constitutional Con-
vention to revise the judiciary article of the State constitutron. In April, 1892, he
was appointed deputy attorney-general of the State by Attorney-General Rosendale.
Since the expiration of his term of office as deputy attorney-general he has practiced
law at No 51 State street. Albany. In June, 1857, Judge Gilbert married Adelaide,
daughter of Ralph and Minna Newell of Stamford. His wife died in August, 1860,
leaving a son, Frank N. Gilbert, now practicing law at Binghamton, N. Y. In 1868
he married his second wife, Josephine Crocker, of Augusta, Ga. They have two
children, Jesse B. and Minnie E. Judge and Mrs. Gilbert are active members of
the Presbyterian church.

Herman, Sidney N., manager of the New York Tailoring Company, is a son of
Morris and Nancy (Rice) Herman, and was born in Albany, January 25, 1858. Mor-
ris Herman, a native of Germany, came to America in 1833, settled in Albany and
died there in 1891. He was a jeweler for several years and was one of the oldest
Masons in the city at the time of his death and held many offices in the order.
Sidney M. Herman, was educated m the public schools of Albany, became a clerk in
a shoe store and later learned the trade of custom clothing cutting in New York city,
which he followed about twelve years. In 1888 he established himself in the mer-
chant tailoring business in New York, as a member of the firm of Felleman & Her-
man, and continued until February 1, 1895. He then returned to Albany and in
March of that year organized the New York Tailoring Company, consisting of him-
self and Louis Stark, locating at the corner of South Pearl and Howard streets. Mr.
Herman is a member of the Royal Arcanum. In 1884 he married Miss Rose House-
man of Albany.

Gray, John Clinton, associate judge of the Court of Appeals of the State of New
York, was born in New York city. He received his education in Berlin, at the New
York University, and at the Howard Law School. -He was admitted to the bar in
Boston, Mass., and practiced law in the city of New York from 1866 until his ap-
pointment in 1888 to the bench of the Court of Appeals of New York, to fill the
vacancy caused by the death of Judge Rapallo, and was elected for a full term in the
same year. Judge Gray is a cultivated scholar and one of the best writers in the

Kernan, William J., M. D., son of James and Mary (Reardon) Kernan, was born
in Albany, N. Y., December 22. 1864. He was educated in the public schools, after
leaving which he was for seven years a clerk in the State Department of Public In-
struction. He resigned his position there to attend the Albany Medical College and
at the time of his graduation in 1891 he stood at the head of his class. He served as
physician at the Williard Insane Asylum for a few months and then removed to
Albany, N. Y., where he has since practiced. Dr. Kernan was for a time district


physician and police surgeon, but was compelled to resign these offices owing to
pressure of professional duties. He makes a specialty of diseases of children. He
is a member of the Albany County Medical Society, examiner for the Catliolic
Benevolent League and physician to the House of the Good Shepherd.

Capron, Arthur S., M. D., son of John D. and Elizabeth (Letcher) Capron, was
born at Schoharie Court House, January 10, 1850, His maternal great-grandfather
was one of the first settlers near Schoharie and cleared up five hundred acres of
woodland. His first paternal ancestor to come to America was Banfield Capron,
who came in 1640. Dr. Capron's parents removed to Albany, N. Y., when he was
live years of age. He attended the public schools and Mr. Lawson's private school.
In 1881 he entered the Albany Medical College and in 1886 received the degree of
M. D. Since then he has practiced in Albany. He is a member of the Albany
County Medical Society and Clinton Lodge No. 7, L O. O. F. In June, 1883, Dr.
Capron married Isidor Irene, daughter of Dr. Daniel Peabody of Sheffield, Mass.
She died in 1884, and in October, 1895, he married Mary Hager of Schodack Land-
ing, N. Y.

Illch, Julius, is a son of Simon and Celia (Fleischman) lUch, native of Bavaria,
Germany. Simon came to Albany in 1849, was for forty years a merchant tailor and
was prominent in Temple Beth Emeth, especially during its construction. Julius
Illch was born in Albany, January 21, 1869, was graduated from the High School in
June, 1886, as one of the commencement speakers, and in November, 1886, entered
the office of Parker & Countryman as a law student. He was admitted to the bar
at Albany, in February, 1890, was managing clerk for Robert G. Scherer for two
years and for Horwitz & Hirschfield of New York one year and since then has been
in active practice for himself in his native city. He is past grand of Capital City
Lodge No. 440, I. O. O. F., which he represents on the board of tru.stees of the Odd
Fellows Temple. He is also a member of Nawadaha Tribe No. 297, I. O. R. M.,
and secretary of Gideon Lodge No. 140, I. O. B. B.

Van Loon, William H., son of Henry F. and Mary (McLaughlin) Van Loon, was
born in Lansingburgh, N. Y., August 7, 1835. His paternal grandfather came from
Amsterdam, Holland, about 1700; and on his mother's side he is descended from
Colonel Cochran of the war of 1812. Mr. Van Loon attended the public schools of
Troy, N. Y., and Schenectady county and learned the trade of foundryman at the
foundries in Troy and West Troy. Subsequently he entered the employ of Rath-
bone, Sard & Co. at Albany, N. Y., and remained there thirty-three years, as assist-
ant foreman for eighteen years, and for the balance of the time as the contractor fen-
the stove mountings. In 1892 he bought the business of John Armstrong, plumber
and roofer, and he has since then been engaged in that business at No. 787 Broad-
way, Albany. Mr. Van Loon is a member of Mt. Vernon Lodge No. 3, F. & A. M.,
and is a trustee in Grace M. E. church. May 31, ISW), he married Caroline M. Stark,
of Glenville, Schenectady county.

Bartlett, Ezra Albert, M. D., traces his lineage (1) to Richard Bartlett, who came
from Sussex, England, in 1635, to Newbury, Mass., where he died May 25, 1647. The
Hue is (2) Richard, 1621-1698, of Old Town Hill, Mass., member of the council; (3)
Ki, l,;,,,l ,,r \,.\vl„,ry, married Hannah Emery; (4) Stephen, of Canterbury, Mass.,


married Hannah Webster; (5) Josiah, 1738-1795, a physician of Kingston, N. H.,
provincial governor, colonial governor, member of the Provincial Legislature 1705,
lieutenant-colonel of the 7th Regt. militia 1770, colonel 1775, delegate to Congress
1773-70, second signer of the Declaration of Independence, congressman 1778, chief
justice of the Common Pleas 1779, judge of the Supreme Court 1783, chief justice
1788, member of the convention to adopt the Federal Constitution 1788, president of
the State 1793, married Mary Bartlett; (0) Ezra, 1770-1848, a physician of Haverhill,
N. H., graduate of Dartmouth College, judge of the Common Pleas, 1807, chief
justice of sessions 1820, State senator 1838-28, married Hannah Gale; and (7) Amos
Oilman, 1814-1880, a minister, married Georgianna M. Pike, whose ancestors also
came to Newbury, Mass., in 1035, where their old stone farm house is still standing.
A statue of Hon. Josiah stands in Amesbury, Mass. Dr. Ezra Albert Bartlett, son
of Amos G., was born in Newburyport, Mass , July 18, 1845, was graduated from the
Atkinson, N. H., Academy, entered the sophomore class of Amherst College and in
in September, 1803, enlisted in Bat. M., 4th U. S. Art., serving until 1866. He passed
through the non-commissioned rank and in 1805 was promoted first lieutenant 7th
Mass. H. A., unattached, but never mustered. He was graduated from Rochester
University in 1870, read medicine with his uncle. Dr. Levi Bartlett of Skaneateles,
N. Y., and with Dr. Samuel B. Ward of Albany, received the degree of M.D. from
the Albany Medical College in 1879, and since then has practiced his profession in
Albany. He is ex-president of the Albany County Medical Society, member of the
American Electro-Therapeutic Association, member of the faculty of the National
College of Electro-Therapeutics at Indianapolis, Ind., member of the staff of the Al-
bany City Hospital and a member of George S. Dawson Post No. 03, G. A. R., and
the Sons of the Revolution. He has been a lecturer in the Albany Medical College
since about 1881, was for six years a member of the U. S. Board of Examining Sur-
geons for Pensions and was a charter member and president of the old Albany
Academy of Medicine. In 1871 he married Jennie, daughter of John Sargent of
Rochester, N. Y., and they have one son, Frank Sargeant Bartlett, born March 10,

Lempe, George G., M.D., was born in Lansingburgh, N. Y., December 28, 1864.
When six j'ears of age he moved to Germany, and attended the gymnasium and the
University at Goettingen, provmce of Hanover. In 1883 he removed to America
and took a one-year's post-graduate course at Harvard University. Subsequently
he attended the Albany (N. Y.) Medical College and received the degree of M.D.
from that institution in 1888, since which time he has practiced medicine in Albany.
Dr. Lempe was assistant demonstrator at the Albany Medical College for two years
and instructor in physiology at the same institution for one year. He was also sur-
geon at the Albany Homoeopathic Hospital from 1889 to 1896; and is one of the ex-
aminers of health officers for the New York State Civil Service Commission. Dr.
Lempe is a member of the Phi Sigma Kappa fraternitj', Co. A, 10th Bat. N. G. N.Y.,
Albany Press Club, Albany County Medical Society and the Deutscher Club. He
is also a charter member and surgeon of the Knights of the Ancient Essenic Order.

Warner, Charles B., of Altamont, was born in Summit, Schoharie county, Sep-
tember 34, 1851, son of John Warner, jr., and Josephine, daughter of Milo Bradley.
The grandfather of Charles B. was John Warner, son of Capt. George, whose father


was George. Charles B. was raised on a farm in Richmondville until be was eight-
een years of age, when he began an apprenticeship as carriagemaker in Cobleskill,
where he remained until 1875, when he removed to Altamont and worked for Jacob
Van Benscotten until 1883; at that date he purchased an interest in his employer's
business, forming the firm of Van Benscotten & Warner. Mr. Van Benscotten died
in 1882 and two years later Mr. Warner bought the widow's share and continued the
business to ISO."), when he admitted the son of his former partner, forming the firm
of Warner & Van Benscotten. Mr. Warner is a bimetalist in politics, a member of
Noah Lodge F. & A. M., of Altamont, and of Noah Chapter U. D., of which he was
a charter member and principal sojourner; also of St. George Commandery No. 37,
Schenectady, Cyprus Lodge Temple of the Mystic Shrine, and Voorheesville Lodge
L O. O. F. In 1872 he married Frances A. Cornell of Richmondville, Schoharie
county, daughter of Dr. Valentine Cornell. They have had five children: Blanch,
Harry C, Charles, jr., and Francis (twins) (the latter deceased) and Stanley. Mr.
and Mrs. Warner are members of the Lutheran church.

De Graff, Dr. Abram, a prominent physician and surgeon, was born in Rotterdam,
N. Y., in 1836 He is the son of Jacob De Graff, who was one of the four sons and
five daughters born to Abram De Graff of Schoharie county, who was a farmer. He
was a volunteer in the Revolutionary war, and once came into the town of Guilder-
land to capture a lot of Tories. Jacob, the father, was born in Schoharie county
in 1805. He was by occupation a farmer, which he followed during his active life.
He came to Guilderland first in 1838, returned home, and in 1837 removed with his
family and settled in Guilderland village, where he died in 1877. In 1833 he married
Anna M. Clute, who was born in Schenectady county. She was the daughter of
Nicholas Clute. To them were born three children, Helen M , Abram and Hamilton.
She died in 1880. Mr. De Graff received fair educational advantages, and when six-
teen years of age began teaching, which he followed for some years. He then be-
gan to study medicine. Dr. Wilson being his preceptor, and in 1858 he was graduated
from the Albany Medichl College. He then entered the office of Dr. Wilson of
Guilderland, with whom he practiced for two years; he then began practice alone in
Bethlehem, where he was in active practice until 1875, when he returned to Guilder-
land, and has since enjoyed a lucrative practice, being called to Bethlehem, New-
Scotland and Guilderland. He is a member of the Albany Medical Society, and was
a delegate of that society to the American Medical Association held in Chicago. He
has served as health officer to the town of Guilderland for three years; was county
commissioner for three years, and was postmaster from 1885 to 1893, and from 1893
_to the present time. In 1867 he married Mary F.. daughter of John P. Veeder, and
'their children are Mary F., Frederick, Mrs. Sarah Batterman and Mrs. Anna Bailey.
Mrs. De Graff's ancestors trace back to Simon Volkertse (de Baker), who was born
1622, in Holland. He belonged to the ship Prince Morrice, which plied between
Amsterdam. Holland, and New York. In 1652 he purchased lots in New York, and
in 1654 he sold and removed to Albany, thence to Schenectady in 1662.' The second
generation was Simon Veeder, and his wife, Neeltie Van Der Volgen. The third

Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 124 of 138)