ruary 1, 1859, leaving three children, John, Jennie and Leonard. On December 6,
1863, he married Margaret Jane Coon, who died childless August 6, 1886, aged fifty
years. Mr. Soop is a successful farmer and breeder of fine horses; is still living on
his farm at Selkirk. His only daughter Jennie K., was born June 15, 1855, and her
husband, Capt. David C. Bull, and granddaughter, Ethel J. Bull, are living with
him. Mr. Bull is e.xtensively engaged in poultry, fruit and berry farming ; he was
born September 15, 1847. m the town of Coeymans; he followed the river from 1807
to 1894, then .sold his boat and began farming. Ethel J. was born December 7, 1887.
Sc7>is of J. J. Soop: John Soop was drowned in the Hudson River, June 35, 1864,
aged eleven years. Leonard was born November 3, 1857, married Georgia Livings-
ton, January 6, 1887, and died February 19, 1891; he was a great horseman and a
favorite with all who knew him. Leonard W. Soop was born September 13, 1883,
married Elvira Jane Conger of Canada, and died July 3, 1894, leaving three child-
ren, Jessie, Nellie and John B. He was a fanner and was elected justice of sessions
one term and justice of the peace in Bethlehem for twelve years. His widow and
children are still living at Selkirk. Mary E. Soop was born in Bethlehem, Octo-
ber 19. 1834, and is living ^t Selkirk.вАФ Com.
Lathrop, Cyrus Clark, is descended on his father's side from literarj- workers, and
on his mother's from business men. A son of John W. and Margaret O. (Clark)
Lathrop, he was born in Bridgeport, Conn., February 21, 1862, and when fifteen en-
tered his father's book store, where he remained two years. For five years he was
connected with the linen thread establishment of Barbour Brothers. Returning to
Bridgeport he traveled for one year for an iron concern and then went to St. Paul,
Minn., in the employ of William F. Davidson. In 1888 he came to Albany and es-
tablished himself in the laundry business, in which he still continues. He has always
had strong religious convictions and from the age of fifteen has been deeply inter-
ested in Sunday school work as a teacher. In 1889-90 he became identified with the
boy's department of the City Mission and in 1890 took charge of it, devoting every
night in the week to the work. After visiting other cities, he organized, on April
30, 1892, the Albany Boys' Club, one of the most successful institutions of the kind
in the country, of which he has since been the secretary and superintendent. Among
the first to become interested in this organization were Charles R. Knowles, president,
Charles (iibson, vice-president, Herbert W. Stickney, treasurer, Cyrus C. Lathrop,
secretary and superintendent, Oscar D. Robinson, Robert W. Shannon, Charles H.
Turner, Edward J. Wheeler, Albert Hessberg, Dr. A. B. Huested, George H.
Thacher, William H. McClure and Percival N. Bouton, The club now has about 450
members, maintains a free reading room and library, an evening school of industrial
practical training, a gymnasium and a savings bank, and reaches poor boys of the
city. It was incorporated November, 1896. Its success is practically due to Mr.
Lathrop's personal efliorts and direction. Its present officers are: Robert Shaw
Oliver, president; William F.Winship, Charles L. Blakeslee, George C, Baker, James C.
Farrell, James Holroyd, W. G. MacUonakl, M. D., Edward N. McKinney. Charles T.
Buchanan, J. Montgomery Mosher, M. D., directors; Edward J. Wheeler, treasurer,
Cyrus C. Lathrop. secretary' and superintendent. He was married in 1885, in St.
Paul, Minn., to Ida F., daughter of Abram Pulis, of Ti-oy, N. Y., and they have tw