school he was for five years superintendent of the Albany and Greenbush Ferry Co.
He resigned this position to accept a responsible desk in the office of the adjutant-
general under the administration of General Franklin Townsend; he occupied this
position about a year and resigned to engage in the coal business. On his retire-
ment he was highly complimented for his services by the adjutant general in an
autograph letter. He engaged in the coal business on Rensselaer street in 1876 and
continued at this location until January, 1896, when he removed to a large and con
venient yard corner of Madison avenue and Church street, which he at present occu-
pies. He was one of the founders of the Young Men's Catholic Lyceum and the
successor of the late William D. Morange to the presidency; he is also a member of
the Dongan Club and for three years was its president. Mr. Lynch has always
taken a lively interest in educational matters, was elected a member of the Board of
Public Instruction in 1878, and re-elected in 1880. He resigned as a member of the
board July, 1883, on account of business engagements. He was again appointed to
the board by Mayor Manning in 1893 for a term of six years. In politics Mr. Lynch
is a Democrat and although he has never taken a very active part, yet he has twice
represented his district as a delegate to State conventions. Mr. Lynch is a director
of the German Foot Powder Company.
Lewi, William G., Ph. G., M.D., son of Dr. Joseph and Berta(Schwarz) Lewi, was
born in Albany, N. Y., March 23, 1870. He was educated in the Albany public and
high schools, after which he accepted a clerkship in the drug store of his bi'other,
Theodore J. Lewi. He remained in the drug store four years, in the mean time
attending the Albany College of Pharmacy, where he finished the course in 1890 and
from which he received his diploma in 1891. While a senior at the College of Phar-
macy, Dr. Lewi entered the Albany Medical College, from which he received the
degree of M. D. in 1892 ; since then Dr. Lewi has practiced in Albany. The year
following his graduation he was appointed instructor in physiology in the Albany
Medical College; later he took the chair of instructor in nervous diseases as assistant
to Dr. Hun, and he is at present instructor in materia medica, therapeutics and med-
ical technique. He is also first lecturer in pharmacy, a chair instituted in 1890. Dr.
Lewi is physician to the dispensary of the Albany Hospital and is a member of the
Albany County Medical Society.
Lewi, Theodore J., was born in Albany, N. Y., February 4, 1862. He is a son of
Dr. Joseph Lewi, who for the past forty-two years has practiced medicine in Albany,
and Bertha Schwarz. He received his preparatory education in the public schools
and later attended the Albany High School for three years, after which he held a
clerkship in the drug store of L. Sautter, sr., for ten years, attending in the mean
time the Albany College of Pharmacy, from which institution he was graduated in
1883, receiving the prize for the best graduating thesis. In April, 1887, he acquired
po.ssession of the property on the corner of Hudson avenue and Eagle street and
opened a drug store there where he is now located. He is a member of the Albany
Press Club, Adelphi Club, New York State Parmaceutical Association, Capital City
Club, Albany Turn Verein and Gideon Lodge, I. O. O. B. He is also the president
of the German Foot Powder Co.
Mayer, John N., son of Nicholas and Gertrude (Erts) Mayer, natives of Germany,
and the parents of five sons and one daughter, was born in Albany, October 18, 1860,
received his edecation in the public schools and Albany Business College and read
law in the offices of Colvin & Guthrie and Ward & Cameron. In 1891 he entered
the county clerk's office under A. C. Requa and when the latter's term expired, he
again became a clerk for the last named firm. January 16, 1895, he was appointed
inspector of customs under John P. Masterson. He is a member of the C. B. L. and
the German Young Men's Catholic Union. October 29, 189.5, he married Mary R.,
daughter of Pius Rheiner of Albany.
Nellegar, Edwin, son of Wilham R. and Maria B. (Staats) Nellegar, was born in
Albany, N. Y., March 13, 1853. He received his education in the public schools and
subsequently served a six months' apprenticeship in the upholstery business with B.
W. Wooster. Then after a short time in business for himself, he obtained the posi-
tion of foreman and head salesman in the furniture department of W. M. Whitney
& Co., with whom he remained fifteen years. After leaving Whitney & Co. Mr.
Nellegar went into business for himself on Hudson avenue, and in 1891 moved to
his present location at No. 29 Washington avenue, corner of Hawk street. He is a
member of Fort Orange Council No. 697, Royal Arcanum. In 1871 he married
Elida A. French of Albany, and they have three children: Don Albert, William
Robinson and Edwin, jr.
O'Brien, Hon. Smith, was born in the town of Berne, Albany county, X. Y., Feb-
ruary 12, 1850. He attended the public school of the town and after leavmg was
apprenticed to a mechanic; he learned the trade and worked at it until 1875, when
he became ambitious to study law. He therefore entered the law oBice of Barret H.
Staats of Clarksville, and remained with that lawyer for some time. Leaving that
office he removed to Albany and read law with ex-Judge Jacob H. Clute. While
there he attended the Albany Law School during 1877 and 1878, and was graduated
in the latter year. In the fall of 1878 Mr. O'Brien was admitted to the bar and since
that time has practiced law in the village of Clarksville and Albany. He was super-
intendent of documents in the Assembly of 1878 and 1879 and document clerk in
1884 under Charles R. Chickering. He performed his duties in an able manner and
was brought prominently before the public. His popularity was well attested in
1885 when he was elected to represent the Second Assembly district of Albany
county. Mr. O'Brien is a staunch Republican and is well liked. Since 1875 he has
resided at Clarksville. He is now the attorney for the Fish and Game Commis-
Payn, Louis F. , was born in Chatham, Columbia county, January 27, 1835, and for
many years has been the leading Republican politician of Columbia county. Before
he was of age he was a power in politics, and the Republican who had been elected
sheriff waited from January 1 until January 27, 1856, before appointing a deputy, in
order that Mr. Payn might become of age and take the place, which was, of course,
his first political office. Reuben E. Fenton, as governor in 1867, appointed Mr.
Payn a harbor master of New York. Mr. Payn therefore zealously supported Mr.
Fenton when he was a successful candidate for United States Senator in 1869; when
Governor Hoffman appointed a Democrat to succeed him, Mr. Payn went back to
Chatham. In 1872 he parted from Mr. Fenton on account of the latter's support of
Horace Greeley for president. Mr. Payn did not join the Republican faction of
which Roscoe Conkiing was the head, but resisted all the efforts of Conkling and
his supporters to oust him from the leadership in Columbia county. In 1876, when
Conkling was a candidate for the nomination for president, Mr. Payn declined to
give any pledge of support. He was elected a delegate to the convention at Cincin-
nati and voted for Roscoe Conkling until he saw that the latter could not be nom-
inated, when he voted for James G. Blaine. President Grant subsequently nom-
inated Mr. Payn for the office of United States marshal for the southern district of
New York; he was confirmed as United States marshal in February, 1877, just be-
fore President Hayes assumed office. Mr. Payn's term as United States marshal
expired in March, 1881, just before President Garfield assumed office, and he was
reappointed by a United States judge, but President (iarfield did not confirm the
appointment. Mr. Payn supported Senators Conkling and Piatt in their attiliide
toward the Garfield administration and also labored hard to bring about their re-
election. His intimacy with Mr. Conkling and Mr. Piatt can be appreciated when it
is remembered that he carried their letter to Governor Cornell resigning their places
as senators. After the long fight was ended Mr. Payn went to New York and for
several years had an oflfice with Alonzo B. Cornell at No. 53 Broadway, and was en-
gaged in promoting placers for tin mining at Harney's Peak in Dakota. Mr. Payn
and Governor Black are warm friends, and it is in recognition of his earnest sup-
port and his great business and executive ability that Governor Black appointed
Mr. Payn, on February 1, 1897, superintendent of insurance of New York. Mr.
Payn is a man of charitable inclinations, though his deeds of charity are bestowed
with no ostentation.
Papen, George Washington, M. D., was born in Albany, N. Y., April 20, 1854.
His father, Theodore Papen, was a son of Gen. George Von Papen of Pyermont,
Duchy of Waldeck, Germany. His mother, Julia Wachter, was a daughter of
John Wachter, for many years proprietor of the National Hotel of Albany, and
came from Bretten, Baden, Germany. Her mother, Catharine, was a daughter of
John Wollensack, who came to America in 1829 from Nagold. Wurtemburg. Dr.
Papen received his early education in M. Walter's school in 1859, after which he
went to the German American Academy and to the Albany Boys' Academy, where
he remained until 1S68. On March 1, 1869, he entered the Albany Medical College
after a previous course in pharmacy, and in 1S70 he entered Columbia Medical Col-
lege in New York city, where he graduated March 3, 1874. During his course he
served on the ambulance corps at Bellevue Hospital, New York. After his gradua-
tion Dr. Papen commenced his practice at No. 89 Schuyler street, Albany, where he
remained until 1889, when he moved to No. 268 Madison avenue, corner of Hawk
street, where his office is now. He is a member of the Albany County and Tri-
County Medical Societies and is also a thirty-second degree Mason and an Odd
Fellow. Dr. Papen also belongs to many German .singing societies and the Albany
Robertson, Matthew Henry, second deputy superintendent of insurance of the
State of New York, was born in the Burrough of Malmesbury, County of Wiltshire,
England, February 14, 1838, a son of James and Elizabeth (M''orcester) Robertson.
His early educational advantages were unusually good, he having as tutor the Rev.
J. G. Kaltofen, an eminent divine and professor of music and the languages. In
18.54 Mr. Robertson entered the law office of Hon. William Stephens Jones, a well
known attorney and counselor at law, of Malmesbury, remaining with him about two
years, and there began the study of law. His father, James Robertson, had left the
family estate known as " Maunditt's Park," a beautiful old place with rambling stone
house and extensive lands just outside of Malmesbury, and moved into the town,
residing there several years, and in September, 1855, decided to join his brother,
John Robertson, who was then, and had been for many years, a resident of the United
States, living on a large estate called вЦ†' Maidford Park " near the city of Oswego, N.
Y. From Oswego Matthew H. Robertson moved to Albany, N. Y., and in Septem
ber, 1856, entered the law office of Hon. William Barnes and continued the study of
law until January, 1860, when the insurance department being organized and Hon.
William Barnes appointed superintendent. Mr. Robertson soon after, on May 1, 1860,
became a regular clerk in that department; in January, 1870, he became chief clerk
in said department and continued as such until June, 1892, when the Hon. James F.
Pierce, superintendent, appointed him second deputy superintendent of insurance,
which position he now holds. Mr. Robertson has been a vestryman of St. Paul's
Episcopal church, Albany, for many years. He married, June 2, 18G3, Elizabeth
Clute, daughter of the late Cornelius P. Clute of Schenectady, and the}' have one
Raymond, Charles H., is a sou of Benjamin C. and Lois P. (Mather) Raymond,
both descendants of English ancestors who settled in New York Slate early in the
.seventeenth century. He was born in Albany, January 24, 1834, was educated in
the Boys' Academy and Prof. Charles H. Anthony's Classical Institute of his native
city, and then spent several j-ears abroad, traveling in the West Indies, South
America and Europe. In 1857 he was in the Latin quarter in Paris, where he de-
veloped a marked taste for literature and art. Returning to Albany he was appointed
by superintendent William Barnes to a clerkship in the newly organized State De-
partment of Insurance, and subsequently succeeded Hon. James W. Husted as
deputy superintendent. He also became a member of the Albany Zouave Cadets,
and in 18C1 enlisted with many other noted members of that body in the Union army.
He served with distinction in the Louisiana campaign under Gen. N. P. Banks, but
was forced to resign on account of ill health and return home. Being reinstated as
deputy in the Insurance Department, he resigned after one year to accept the sec-
retaryship of the Widows' and Orphans' Benefit Life Insurance Company of New
York city, which had just been organized with Hon. Lucius Robinson as president.
On Mr. Robinson's resignation Mr. Raymond became president and so continued
until the company's risks were reinsured in 1871. Later he formed a copartnership
with John A. Little, general agent of the Mutual Life Insurance Company of New
York. Mr. Little subsequently retired, and since then Mr. Raymond has had sole
charge of the Mutual Life's Metropolitan agency, with offices at 32 Liberty street,
New York city. Mr. Raymond was the first president of the Life Insurance Associa-
tion of New York city and in 1892 was president of the National Association of Life
Underwriters. He is one of the best known life insurance men in the east.
Russell, George W., son of David M. and Rachel (Burgett) Rus.sell, was born in
Saugerties, Ulster county, N. Y., March 26, 1839. He attended the public schools
and graduated from the Saugerties Institute in 1855. After his graduation he ob-
tained a clerkship in a Saugerties store where he remained four years. Mr. RusseH
then moved to Catskill, N. Y., where for three years he was engaged in the blue
stone business and for four years was bookkeeper for Penfield, Day & Co., forwarders.
In 1866 Mr. Russell removed to Albany, N. Y., where he secured the position of
bookkeeper for Strong Bros. & Co., a wholesale dry goods house. Here he won
favor and his strict attention to business was rewarded by his being taken into part-
nership in 1872. In 1886 Mr. Strong retired and Mr. Russell and Charles A. Lawyer
carried on the business until 1893, when Mr. Lawyer retired. Since then Mr. Russell
has carried on the business as a jobber of manufacturers' supplies, including the
dyeing, coloring and printing of cloths. In addition to this business, Mr. Russell is
a trustee of the William N. Strong, William F. Russell and George W. Dewey
estates. He was one of the organizers of the Albany Club. In 1870 he married
Adelaide Dewey and they have one child, Robert D.
Russell, Georgre L., son of Charles and Gertrude (Halleubeck) Russell, was born
in Rensselaerville, Albany county, N. Y., in 1846. His maternal grandfather was a
soldier in the war of 1812; his paternal grandfather, a New Englander, and a mem-
ber of a very old family, was captain of a whaling vessel and lost his life at sea while
following his vocation. In 1846 Mr. Russell's father moved from Hudson, N. Y., to
Rensselaerville where he engaged in the shoe business. Mr. Russell received his
education in the parochial school at Rensselaerville, conducted by the Rev. Robert
Washburn of the Trinity M. E. church. He finished the course at this institution in
1862, after which he spent two years in Fonda's foundry in Rensselaerville. In 1864
Mr. Russell moved to Albany, N. Y., and for one year was aclerk in the old Congress
Hall; from there he went to the Delavan House where he was connected with the
livery of D. Rose. In 1868 he married Anna Storey of Albany, by whom he has five
children: Maria, George R., Carrie, Anna and Effie. In 1874 Mr. Russell embarked
in the livery business at Nos. 53 and 55 Lancaster street, where he remained until
1886, when the building was torn down to make room for the enlargement of the gas
meter factory. In 1880 he started another livery stable at No. 362 State street and
for six years conducted both places; in 1886 he doubled the capacity of the State
street stable so as to concentrate all the business at one stand, now known as the
Fort Orange stables. March 1, 1895, Mr. Russell disposed of the livery business and
now conducts only a boarding stable. He is a member of St. Paul's Episcopal church
and Ancient City Lodge No. 452 F. & A. M.
Schifferdecker, Fred A., son of Frederick and Anna (Rapp) Schifferdecker, was
born in Albany, N. Y., in 1860. He received his education at Professor Myer's
Select School on Madison avenue. After leaving .school he occupied a clerkship in
the grocery store of Henry McBride for two years and subsequently spent five years
in the law office of the late Hon. Galen R. Hitt. Mr. Schifferdecker then worked
for his father until 1881', when he and his brother Charles F. formed a copartnership
to engage in the ice business, in which they have been very successful, handling
a'oout twenty thousand tons of ice a year. Mr. Schifferdecker has been prominent
in politics, having been a member of the Board of Supervisors for four years. He
is a member of the I. O. O. F., K. of P., Mount Vernon Lodge No. 3, F. & A. M.,
and of many German singing societies. He is also a member of the Empire Steam
Yacht Club and is president of the Schifferdecker Association. In 1885 he married
Louise R. Heidrick of Albany, and they have five children: Edna, Dora, Anna,
Charles and Louise.
Schutter, William L., M. D., son of Louis and Margaret (Shepard) Schutter, was
born in Albany, N. Y., December 31, 1863. He received his education in the public
schools and Albany High School and in the fall of 1879 entered the Albany Medical
College, from which he received the degree of M. D. in March, 1883. Since gradua-
tion Dr. Schutter has practiced in Albany, making a specialty of diseases of women
and children. He was district physician during the mayoralty of Edward A. Maher.
He is a member of the Albany County Medical Society, Mount Hermon Lodge I. O.
O. F., and Flower Lodge, Knights of Pythias. June 20, 1888, he married Jessie H.,
daughter of John and Sarah Eaton of Albany.
Sutherland, Isaac P., son of Rufus and Sally (Niver) Sutherland, was born in
Schodack, Columbia county, N. Y., December 16, 1832. In 1836 Mr. Sutherland's
parents moved to a farm near Kinderhook village and in 1838 to Schoharie county,
where he finished his education at the Schoharie Academy in 1852. After leaving
school he moved to Quaker Street, Schenectady county, in 1860, and worked on a
farm until 1864, when he moved to Albany, N. Y., and engaged in the retail grocery
business at No 244 Washington avenue. In connection with that business he was
engaged in the manufacture of brooms from 1882 to 1888, and from then to the pres-
ent tune has been engaged in the commission business at No. .50 Hudson avenue.
In 1890 he formed a partnership with C. F. Rushmore, imder the firm name of I. P.
Sutherland & Co. Mr. Sutherland is a member of the State Street Presbyterian
church. He has been twice married and has three daughtei-s living, Anna, by
Hannah Moore, his first wife, and Ida and Helen W., by Anna Wright, his second
Sisson, Frank N., son of Noel E- and Emiline (Griffin) Sis.son, was born in Al-
bany, N.Y., in 1800. He received his education at the Albany High School, Albany
Academy, and Taylor's Academy in Columbia county, from which institution he was
graduated in 1878. After graduation Mr. Sissou returned to Albany and entered
the gas meter works of L). McDonald & Co., where he thoroughly learned the busi-
ness; he remained in the factory five or si.K years and subsequently went on the
road as salesman, until 1892. During the years 188T and 1888 Mr. Sisson was locat-
ed at Columbus, O., representing D. McDonald & Co. In 1893 he went with the
Welsbach Light Company as salesman and Albany representative; in August, 1895,
just after the formation of the Welsbach Commercial Company, Mr. Sisson was ten-
dered the position of salesman and Albany repre.sentative for that company, which
position he now holds. He is also interested as a stockholder in gas light companies
and is the Albany representative of a standard bicycle establishment. He is a
member of Wadsworth Lodge No. 417, F. & A. M., Temple Chapter, R. A. M., De
Witt Clinton Council, R. & S. M., Temple Commandery, K. T., and Cyprus
Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He is also a member of the K. A. E. O. and the
Albany, Acacia and Unconditional Republican Clubs. In 1887 he married Minnie
Brayton of Albany.
Smith, James E., M. D., son of Dr. C. H. and Lucy (Blair) Smith, was born in Al-
bany, N. Y., October 5, 1867. He received his preliminary education in the Albany
Academy, from which he was graduated in 1885, with high honors, being valedic-
torian of his class. During the winter of 1885-86 he took a year's course at Union
College, preparatory to the study of medicine, after which he studied for a time
with Dr. A. Vander Veer. In the fall of 1886 he entered the Albany Medical Col-
lege and was graduated iu 1889, receiving the degree of M. D. ; he was the valedic-
torian of the class and received one of the honors for the best graduating thesis.
After leaving the medical college Dr. Smith spent a year in New York city, taking a
post-graduate course at the New York Polyclinic and the New York Post-Graduate
Medical School and Hospital. Since then Dr. Smith has practiced in Albany. He
has been interested in military affairs since 1885 and is now in.spector of rifle prac-
tice on Colonel Fitch's staflf. He is a member of the Albany County Medical
Society and was county physician for four years, from 1890 to 1893.
Schneider, Charles N., son of Peter and Caroline (Hans) Schneider, was born in
Albany, N. Y., March G, 1869. Mr. Schneider is one of Albany's ablest mtisicians
and inherits all those distinguishing traits that marked the career of his father, who
was a music teacher and organist in St. Mary's church. Mr. Schneider attended the
Christian Brothers' Academy and graduated from that institution in 1887. He
studied music with his father and with Professor Monchel, organist of the Cathedral
of the Immaculate Conception. It was not long, however, before his ability was recog-
nized ; from September, 1889, to November, 1891, he was organist of St. Mary's
church at Sandy Hill, N. Y., and during the year 1893 held the same position in St.
John's church, Albany. Mr. Schneider was bookkeeper for four years for the
piano firm of Boardman & Gray, from 1892 to 1896. As a writer, Mr. Schneider
has displaj-ed great ability and genius; very few of his productions have been
played before the public, but of those that have, too much can not be said of the
opera "Enid," the music of which he finished in 1894. The opera was produced
in Albany in January, 1897, and in Troy, February 1, of the same year. Another
production was given in Albany, February 23, as a testimonial to the composer,
Mr. Schneider, and to the librettist, David J. Norton. The music of "Enid" is sure
to last and remind its hearers of the author, Albany's young musical genius, Charles
N. Schneider. February 18, 1896, Mr. Schneider married Mary Elizabeth Hopkins
of Sandy Hill, N. Y.
Stephens, Thomas, son of Thomas and Jane (Christin) Stephens, was born on the
Isle of Man, December 26, 1845. He received his education at a private school,
after which he learned the trade of joiner. April 15, 1860, he came to America and
settled in Albany, where he remained only fifteen months, leaving to go to Chicago,
where he engaged in business for himself. He was compelled to return east because
of sickness, and in 1870 he established himself in the business of carpenter and
builder on Madison avenue, Albany. Subsequently he removed to Hamilton street,
where he remained until 1880. In the same year he built and equipped his present
large manufactory at Nos. 275 and 277 Lark street; this building contains all the
latest and most improved machinery for fine building and architectural work. Mr.
Stephens gives the most attention to elaborate interiors. He built the Government