Copyright
Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 20 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 20 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


spared to fully equip the school for the practical and thorough study of
medicine. The college building is well appointed in its lecture rooms,
laboratories, dissecting rooms and museum. The chemical laboratory
was rebuilt in 1884 and a two-story building erected, fitted with every
requisite for the illustration of the lectures, and the practical study of
chemistry. "Alumni Hall," constituting" the south wing of the build-
ing, is set apart for meetings, recitations, examinations and other college
exercises. The Bender Hygienic Laboratory, equipped for the instruc-
tion and scientific research in pathology, bacteriology and the allied med-
ical studies, was dedicated October 27, 1896, and is connected with the
college. This laboratory is the gift of Mr. Matthew W. Bender of Albany,
who defrayed the entire cost of its erection, amounting to more than
$20,000. The cost of fitting up and furnishing this laboratory was paid
by the college faculty. The class rooms and amphitheatre are furn-
ished with the most modern apparatus for special work, and as a labora-
tory of hygiene the building is perfect in all its ap]3ointments.



202

Since 1873 the Albany Medical College is the medical deparment of
Union University. The University includes the Albany Medical Col-
lege, the College of Pharmacy, Albany Law fSchool and the Dudley
Observatory, all located at Albany, and Union College and the Schnol
of Civil Engineering, located at Schenectady.

The Albany Medical College has been foremost in advocating a high
standard of medical education. Few medical schools in this country
are so thoroughly in sympathy with every movement to perfect the pro-
visions of the laws governing the study of medicine. It was one of the
first to enforce a three years' graded course of study with evidence of
preliminary education by entrance examination. It may justly be said
that this institution has made progress all along the line. It is well
equipped in every department to meet the legal requirements of a
higher standard. Its curriculum embraces lectures, recitations, clinical
teaching and extensive laboratory work. The Albany Hospital, St.
Peter's Hospital, Child's and County Hospitals, the Eye and Ear Infirm-
aries, and dispensaries connected with these institutions, are all made
available for the pursuit of clinical study. The management of the
school and its administrative affairs are so conducted that there can be
no doubt of its high standing as a school for the study of medicine.

The following is a historical list of the faculty from 183',i to 189? :

Ebenezer E.mmons, M. D., Chemistry and Natural History from 1838 to 1839; Ma-
teria Medica and Natural History, 1840 to 1843; Obstetrics and Natural History, 1843
to 1853; Emeritus Professor of Obstetrics and Natural History, 1853 to 1854.

James H. Akmsbv. M. D,, Anatomy and Physiology, 1838 to 1839; Anatomy, 1840
to 1869; Principles and Practice of Surgery, 1870 to 1875; died 1875.

Davhj M. Reese, M. D., Theory and Practice of Medicine, 1839 to 1840.

Alden March, M. D., Surgery, 1838 to 1869; died 1869.

Henkv Greene, M. D., Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children, 1838 to
1839.

David M. McLachi.an, M. D., Materia Medica and Pharmacy, 1838 to 1839; Ma-
teria Medica and Therapeutics, 1839 to 1840; Diseases of Women and Children, 1840
to 1843.

Amos Dean, Esij., Medical Jurisprudence, 1839 to 1859; Emeritus Professor of
Medical Jurisprudence, 1867 to 1868; died 1868.

Thomas Hu.\, M. D., Institutes of Medicine, 1839 to 1853; Institutes of Jledicine,
1853 to 1855; Institutes of Medicine, 1855 to 1859; Emeritus Professor of the Insti-
tutes of Medicine, 1876 to 1896; died 1896.

Gunning S. Bedford, M. D., Obstetrics, 1839 to 1840.

James McNaugiitun, M. D., Theory and Practice of Medicine, 184(1 to 1874; died
1874.

Lewis C. Beck. M. D., Chemistry and Therapeutics, 1840 to 1841 ; Chemistry and
Pharmacy, 1841 to 185:!; died 1853.








J. M. BK.HLOW, M. U.



203

T. RoMEYN Beck, M. D., Materia Medica, 1843 to 1853; Emeritus Professor of
Materia Medica, 1853 to 185G; died 1856.

Howard Townsend, M. D., Obstetrics, 1853 to 1855; Materia Medica, 1855 to 1859;
Materia Medica and Physiology, 1859 to 180T; died 18(57.

Ezra S. Carr, M. D., Chemistry and Pharmacy. 1853 to 1857.

John V. P. Ouackenbush, M. D., Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children,
1855 to 1856; Midwifery and Diseases of Women and Children, 1856 to 1859; Obstet-
rics and Diseases of Women and Children. 1859 to 1870; Diseases of Women and
Children, 1876; died 1876.

CiiAKi.Ks H. Porter, M. D., Chemistry and Pharmacy, 1857 to 1859; Chemistry
and Medical Jurisprudence, 1859 to 1864. '

Gkokc^e F. Barker, M. D., Acting Professor of Chemistry, 1863 to i863.

Jm-oi: .-^. Mosher, M. D., Ph. D., Lecturer on Chemistry, 1864; Chemistry and
Medical Jurisprudence, 1864 to 1876; Medical Jurisprudence and Hygiene, 1876 to
1883; Pathology, Practice, Clinical Medicine and Hygiene, 1883 to 1883; died 1883.

S. Oakley Vander Poel, M. D., LL. D , General Pathology and Clinical Medicine,
1867 to 1870; Theory and Practice and Clinical Medicine, 1876 to 1878; Pathology,
Practice and Clinical Medicine, 1878 to 1883; Emeritus Professor of Pathology, Prac-
tice and Clinical Medicine, 1882 to 1886; died 1886.

James E. Pomfret, M. D., Lecturer on Anatomy, 1861; Physiology, 1867 to 186i);
died 1869.

John V. Lansing, M. D., Materia Medica, 1867 to 1870; Physiology and Clinical
Medicine, 1870 to 1873; Principles and Practice of Medicine and Clinical Medicine,
1873 to 1876; died 1880.

Henry R. Haskin.s, M. D., Surgical and Descriptive Anatomy, 1869 to 1874; Anat-
omy, 1874 to 1876; died 1884.

AniERT Vandek Veer, M. D., General and Special Anatomy, 1869 to 1873; Princi-
ples and Practice of Surgery, 1876 to 1880; Principles and Practice of Surgery and
Clinical Surgery, 1880 to 1883; Surgery and Clinical Surgery, 1883 to 1889, Didatic,
Abdominal and Clinical Surgery, 1889 to .

Edmund- R. Peaslee, M. D., Diseases of Women, 1870 to 1873.

Meredith Clymer, M. D., Diseases of the Nervous System and the Mind, 1870 to
1873.

William P. Sevmouk, M. D., Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children,
1870 to 1876.

George T. Stkvens, M. D., Ophthalmology and Orthopa-dic Surgery, 1870 to 1873;
Physiology and Ophthalmology, 1873 to 1875; Ophthalmology, 1875 to 1876.

John M, Bigelow, M. D., Materia Medica, 1870 to 1873; Materia Medica and The-
rapeutics, 1873; Materia Medica and Therapeutics, 1876 to 1883; Materia Medica and
Therapeutics, Diseases of the Throat and Clinical Laryngoscopy, 1883 to 1888; Ma-
teria Medica, Therapeutics and Diseases of the Throat and Nose, 1888 to 1896; Dis-
eases of the Throat and Nose, 1896 to .

Maurice Perkins, M. D., Chemistry and Toxicology, 1870 to 1876; Chemical Phi-
losophy and Organic Chemistry, 1876 to .

Ira Harris, LL. D., Medical Jurisprudence, 1870 to 1874.

Willis G. Tucker, M. D., Assistant Professor of Chemistry, 11:71 to 1874; Lec-
turer on Materia Medica and Assistant Professor of Chemistry, 1874 to 1875; Ad-
junct Professor of Materia Medica and Chemistry, 1875 to 1876; Inorganic and Ana-



204

lytical Chemistry, 1876 to 1882; Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry and Medical
Jurisprudence, 1882 to 1887 ; Inorganic and Analytical Chemistrv and Toxicology,

1887 to .

William Hailf.s, M. D., Lecturer on Pathological Anatomy 1874 to 1875; Adjunct
Professor of Pathological Anatomy, 1875 to 1876; Histology and Pathological Anat-
omy, 1876 to 1886; Histology and Pathological Anatomy and Clinical Surgery, 1880

Harrison E. Webstkk. A. M., Lecturer on Physiology, 1875 to 1880.

JijHN Swinburne, M. IX, Fractures and Dislocations and Clinical Surgerv. I,s7(> lo
1880; died 1889.

Lewis Bai.ch, M. D., Anatomy, 1876 to 1887; Anatomy and Medical Jurispru-
dence, 1887 to 1890; Medical Jurisprudence, 1890 to 1891; Emeritus Professor of
Anatomy and Lecturer on Medical Jurisprudence, 1891 to 1893; Emeritus Professor
of Anatomy and Profes.sor of Medical Jurisprudence, 1893 to 1895; Emeritus Pro-
fessor of Anatomy and Professor of Medical Jurisprudence and H\-giene, 1895 to
1896; Professor of Medical Jurisprudence and Hygiene, 1896 to .

Samuel B. Ward, M. D., Surgical Pathology and Operative Surgery, 1876 to 1880;
Surgical Pathology and Operative Surgery and Clinical Surgery, 1880 to 188;i; Pa-
thology, Practice, Clinical Medicine and Hygiene, 1883 to .

John P. Gray, M. D., LL. D., Psychological Medicine, 1876 to 1886; died lS8(i.

EiiwARD R. Hun, M. D., Diseases of Nervous System, 1876 to 1880; died 1880.

James P. Buyd, Jr.. M. D., Diseases of Women and Children, 1876; Obstetrics
and Diseases of Women and Children, 1876 to 1886; Obstetrics, Gynecology and
Diseases of Children, 1886 to .

CvRus S. Merrill, M. D., Opthalmology, 1876 to 1881 ; Opthalmology and Otology.
1881 to .

S. O. Vander Poel, Jr., Adjunct Professor of Pathology. Practice and Clinical
Medicine, 1880 to 1884.

Franklin Townsend, Jk., M. D., Lecturer on Physiology, 1880 to 1881; Professor
of Physiology, 1881 to 1891; Emeritus Professor of Physiology, 1891 to 1895; died
1895.

Frederic C. Curiis, M. D., Adjunct Professor of IJermatology, 1880 to 1884; Pro
fessor of Dermatology, 1884 to .

Henry Hun, M. D., Lecturer on Nervous Diseases, 1883 to 1885; Professor of Dis-
eases of the Nervous System, 1885 to 1887; Diseases of the Nervous System and
Psychological Medicine, 1887 to 1890; Diseases of the Chest and of the Nervous Sys-
tem, 1890 to 1893; Diseases of the Nervous System, 1892 to .

Samuel R. Morrow, M. D., Lecturer Adjunct to the Chair of Surgery, 1884 to
1886; Adjunct Professor of Surgery, 1886 lo 1887; Adjunct Professor of Surgery and
Lecturer on Anatomy, 1887 to 1889; Adjunct Professor of Anatomy and Orthopedic
Surgery, 1889 to 1890; Professor of Anatomy and Orthopedic Surgery, 1890 to .

Joseph D. Craig, M. D., Lecturer on Anatomy, 1890 to 1892; Adjunct Professor
of Anatomy, 1892 to .

Howard Van Rensselaer, M. D., Lecturer on Materia Medica. 1890 to 1892; Ad-
junct Professor of Materia Medica and Lecturer on Diseases of the Chest, 1892 to
1895; Adjunct Professor of Materia Medica and Diseases of the Chest, 1895 to 1896:
Adjunct Professor of Theory of Practice of Medicine and Thereapeutics, 1896 to .



205

Herman C. Goruinier, M. D., Lecturer on Anatomy of the Nervous System, 1890
to 1894; Lecturer on Physiology and Anatomy of the Nervous System, 1894 to 1895;
Professor of Physiology, 1895 to .

Cakios F. Ma^Donald, M. D., Lecturer on Insanity, 1891 to 1893.

Wii.i.i^ G. Ma. Donald, M. D.. Lecturer on Operative Surgery, 1891 to 1895; Ad-
junct Professor of Surgery, 1895 to ■ .

Herman BeiNdell, M. D.. Lecturer on Physiology, 1892 to. 1894; Lecturer on Otol-
ogy, 1894 to 1896; Clinical Professor of Otology, 1896 to .

Ezra A. Baktlett, M. D., Lecturer on Electro Therapeutics, 1892 to .

G. Alden R. Blumer, M. D., Lecturer on Insanity, 1893 to 1896; Adjunct Professor
of Insanity, 1896 to .

Theodore F. C. Van Allen, M. D., Lecturer on Ophthalmology, 1894 to 1896;
Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology, 1896 to - — .

Andrew MacFarlane, M. D., Lecturer on Physical Diagnosis and Clinical Mi-
croscopy, 1895 to 1896; Clinical Professor of Physical Diagnosis and Microscopy,
1896 to .

Clinton B. Herrick, M. D , Lecturer on Clinical Surgery, 1895 to .

John V. Hennessy, M. D., Lecturer on Materia Medica, 1896 to .

WiLLL\M G. Lewi, M. D., Lecturer on Pharmacy, 1896 to .

Leu H. Neuman, M. D., Lecturer on Symptomatology, 1896 to ,

The Alumni Association of the A. M. C. was organized January 20,
1874, and incorporated February 6, of the same year. The object of
this as.sociation is to promote the interest of the college in the work of
medical education, and to cultivate social intercourse among the
alumni. The names and addresses of 1,302 graduates are on the roll
of membership. The management of this association is entrusted to an
executive committee and a general meeting is held annually on com-
mencement day.

The Albany College of Pharmacy was created by act of the Board of
Governors of Union University, June 21, 1881, and incorporated Au-
gust 27, 1881. Chemistry, Botany and Materia Medica, Pharmacy and
the Microscope and its application to pharmacy are taught in a two
years' course. The lectures are delivered and the laboratory classes in
chemLstry conducted in the class rooms of the Medical College building.
A commodious pharmaceutical laboratory is connected with the college.
The school is well managed and equipped to impart thorough instruc-
tion in pharmacy and its kindred branches.

The following constitute the faculty: Willis G. Tucker, M. D., Ph. D., F. C. S.,
president, professor of chemistry; Alfred B. Huested, M. D., Ph. G., professor of
botany and materia medica; Gustavus Michaelis, Ph. G., professor of pharmacy ;
Theodore J. Bradley, Ph. G.. lecturer on pharmacy; De Baun Van Aken, instructor
in chemistry; Frank Richardson, Ph. G., instructor in materia medica and director
of the pharmaceutical laboratory ; Thomas \V. Jenkins, M. D., instructor
copy.



The Ai.p.anv Hospital.

The Albany Hospital was founded in 1849. In 1830 Dr. Alden
March, professor of anatomy and physiology in the Vermont Academy
of Medicine, delivered a public lecture on the " Propriety of Establish-
ing a Medical College and Hospital at Albany." The late John C.
Spencer was the first president, and to his popularity and energy, coupled
with the unremitting efforts of Dr. James H. Armsby and the support
of generous contributors, this institution was opened for the reception
of patients November 1, 1851. The male and female wards, the child's
ward, endowed by the late William H. De Witt, are comfortably fur-
nished and well appointed. The rooms for the treatment of private
patients, fitted up and furnished b}- charitably inclined ladies represent-
ing the various churches of Albany, have largely added to the comfort
and accommodation of patients admitted to this institution. The dis
pensaries are open to the poor, and the hospital records show that thou-
sands of charity patients have been provided with medicines and at-
tendance. The entire management is vested in a Board of Governors,
who have endeavored to combine thoroughness and efficiency in every
department, and that they have merited the support and confidence of
the citizens of Albany is apparent by the general interest manifested
and the liberal contribution of funds to provide for the accommodation
and care of the sick. In 1851 and 1853 sufficient funds were collected
]jy special subscription to purchase and equip an adjoining building for
the purpose of affording rooms for clinical instruction to students at-
tending the Albany Medical College. The building, originally erected
as a county jail, before being occupied required remodeling to adajjt
it for hospital purposes. From 1849 to 1873, principally due to the
unremitting efforts of Dr. James H. Armsby, over one hundred thou-
sand dollars were subscribed to defray the cost of enlarging the build-
ing and providing proper hospital accommodations. As the city in-
creased in population greater facilities for the treatment of private and
dispensary patients became necessary and the friends of the institution
have annually and liberally responded to the appeals of the governors
for subscriptions to enlarge and continue this worthy charity. The City
Council appropriates a liberal sum annually toward the sujjport of the
charity wards, and the income of an increasing endowment fund, together
with the receipts from private patients, help to meet the expenditures.
The projected new hospital and training school to be connected with the



207

same, a scheme encouraged by mutual co-operation of those interested
in the future prosperity of the Albany Hospital, will not be erected on
the site of the present building, it being deemed advisable for the
proper care and comfort of the sick and convalescent that the new hos-
pital shall be erected remote from the crowded city thoroughfares. The
present staff of the hospital consists of:

Medical and Surgical Staff. — Consulting physicians, Samuel H. Freeman, M. 1).,
Joseph Lewi, M.U. ; consulting specialist, William H. Baile\-, M.D. ; surgeons, Al-
bert Vander Veer, M.D., William Hailes, M. D., Samuel R. Morrow, M. D. ; attend-
ing specialists, Cyrus S. Merrill, M.D. , eye and ear, Herman Bendell, M D., eye and
ear, John M. Bigelow, M.D., throat and nose, James P. Boyd, M. D., gynecology,
Frederic C. Curtis, M.D., dermatology, Ezra A. Bartlett, M.D., electricity ; physi-
cians, Samuel B. Ward, M.D., Henry Hun, M.D., Joseph D. Craig, M.D., Howard
Van Rensselaer, M. D.

St. Peter's HosrrrAi..

The building occupied as vSt. Peter's Hospital was formerly the resi-
dence of Governor King. Subsequently this building was purchased by
the late Peter Cagger and transferred by him to the Rt. Rev. Bishop
Conroy, who transferred the building to the Order of the Sisters of
Mercy to be used as a hospital. St. Peter's Hospital was opened for
the reception of patients November 1, 1869. This hospital is managed
by the Sisters of Mercy aided by an advisory Board of Managers; it
has been conducted with success, and its benefits bestowed as liberally
as means and facilities would permit. Many additions and improve-
ments have been made to the building to adapt the same for hospital
purposes, and with increased accommodations the managers have been
enabled to provide for the many applicants seeking the care and com-
forts of this benevolent institution. Credit is due to the untiring
efforts and charitable work of the Sisters of Mercy in promoting and
dispensing the benefits of this noble charity. Thousands of poor are
gratuitiously provided with medical attendance and medicines, and the
contributions of its benefactors are expended in the true cause of
charity, for the relief of the afflicted, without regard to creed or con-
dition. The vSisters of Mercy who act as nurses receive no compensa-
tion for their services; their work is a labor of love for suffering hu-
manity, and those who .are familiar with the daily work of these de-
\'i>ted women, can best appreciate the real good of true charity.

This hos]3ital is supported by private contributions, by the income
received from private patients, and by an annual appropriation from



208

the cit}' for the care of charity patients. Connected with the liospital
is a dispensary for the treatment of out door patients. The male and
female wards and private rooms are well ventilated and neatly fiir-
ished, and the entire management of the institution is in thorough keep-
ing with the aims of the administration entrusted with its care. Con-
nected with the hospital is an amphitheatre and lecture room, where
clinical lectures and instruction to the students of the Albany Medical
College are given. Modern improvements for the treatment and com-
fort of patients are being continually made, thus enabling the manage-
ment to fully consummate the object which prompted the founding of
this hospital. , It is a worthy tribute to the memory of the eminent
jurist, to whose liberal contribution the public is indebted for this great
charity.

Hospital 5/



Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 20 of 138)