tice at Johnsonville, Rensselaer county; removed in 1889 to West
Troy, where he. resided to the time of his death, which occurred De-
cember 21, 1895.
1889. AVilbur Fiske Lamont, A. M., M. D. Born at Richmond ville,
N. Y., July 29, 18C4. Was graduated in arts in 1886 from Union Col-
lege; in medicine in 1889 from the Albany Medical College. He held
the position of resident physician to the Albany Homoeopathic Hos-
pital one year. Removed in the fall of 1S80 to Catskill, Greene
county, his residence in 1897.
1890. Edward Bernard Coburn, A. M., M. D. Born at Troy, N. Y.,
February 6, 1808. Was graduated in arts in June, 1888, from Union
College; in medicine in 1890 from the Albany Medical College. He
held the position of resident physician to the Albany Homoeopathic
Hospital one year. Gave special attention to the study of diseases of
the eye and ear, spending one year in New York city and one year in
Europe. On returning in 1893 he located in New York city, his
residence in 1897. Treatment of diseases of the eye and ear ex-
1890. WiLLi.AM Mkl.ancthon Ca.mpi'.f,ll, M. D. Born at Stillwater,
N. Y., November 21, 1861. Was graduated in 1889 from the Albany
Medical College. Began practice in lS89 at Waterford, Saratoga
county; removed in 1890 to Cohoes, his residence in 1897.
1881. Robert Brockway Lamb, M. D., Ph. G. Born at Jamestown,
N. Y., August 4, 1867. Was graduated in 1889 from the Albany Col-
lege of Pharmacy; also in 1891 from the Albany Medical College. He
held the position of resident physician to the Albany Homoeopathic
Hospital four months in 1891. Appointed in 1891 clinical assistant at
the Matteawan State Hospital for the Insane; promoted in 18'.t3 to the
position of second assistant physician, which position (in 1897) he still
1891. Arthur Burton Van Loon, M. D. Born at Albany, N. Y.,
December 23, 1868. Was graduated in 1891 from the Albany Medical
College. Began practice in Albany immediately' after graduation;
pursued post-graduate studies in the winter of 1891 and of 1893; at-
tended a course of lectures in 1892, and was graduated from New York
Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital, receiving the degree of
Doctor of Medicine the second time. Held the position of interne one
year at Ward's Island Homoeopathic Hospital; returned to Albany in
1893, his residence in 1897. Member of the surgical staff of the Al-
bany Homoeopathic Hospital.
1891. Alexander Charles Calisch, M. D. Born at Jersey City, N. J.,
January 29, 1870. Was graduated m 1891 from the New York Homoeo-
pathic Medical College and Hospital. Was appointed the same year to
the position of resident physician to the Albany Homoeopathic Hos-
pital, which position he held six months. Removed in 1893 to Sharon
Springs, N.Y., and in 1894 to Port Chester, Westchester county, N.Y.,
his residence in 1897.
1802. Frederick Joseph Cox, B. A., M. D. Born at Albany, N. Y.,
June 27, 1800. Was graduated in arts in 1889 from Williams College;
and in medicine in 1892 from the Albany Medical College. Began
practice in Albany immediately after graduation, where he is engaged
in active practice, and is giving special attention to some of the new
and inviting fields of bacteriological studies.
1893. Albert MoTT, M. D. Born at Moreau, Saratoga county, N.Y.,
November 28, 1850. Was graduated in 1873 from the Long Island
Cellege and Hospital. Began practice at Sandy Hill, Washington
county, remaining twenty years. He removed in 1893 to Cohoes, Al-
bany county, his residence in 1897.
1893. Edward Gilbert Cox, A. M., M. D. Born at Albany, N. Y.,
February 6, 1868. Entered Williams College in 1889, remaining two
years; received the degree of Master of Arts after graduation in med-
icine. Was graduated in 1893 from the Albany Medical College. En-
tered at once on the practice of medicine in Albany in his father's
office, where (in 1897) he is successfully engaged in the active duties of
professional life. He is a gifted physician and skillful and successful
operator. He is a member of the surgical staff of the Albany Homoeo-
pathic Hospital To his skill and high standing as an accomplished
surgeon the ]3resent prosperity and gratifying success of the Albany
Homoeopathic Hospital is largely due.
1894. William James McKown, M. D. Born at Albany, N.Y., Jan-
uary 23, 1872. Was graduated in 1894 from the Albany Medical Col-
lege. Began practice immediately after graduation, where (in 1897)
he is engaged in active professional work.
1894. Charles Van Schaick Evans, M. D. Born at Cohoes, N. Y.,
September 24, 1864. Was graduated in 1893 from the New York
Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital. Began practice in 1893
in the city of New York ; removed in 1893 to Albany, his residence in
1894. Charles Burnstein, M. D. Born at Carlisle, N. Y., December
21, 1872. Was graduated in 1894 from the Albany Medical College.
Immediately after graduation was appointed to the position of resident
physician to the Albany Homoeopathic Hospital, retaining the posi-
tion six months. Appointed in 1894 assistant physician to the State
Custodial Asylum at Rome, Oneida county, which position (in 1897)
he still holds.
1895. Archibald Gilbert, M. D., Ph. G. Born at Albany, N. Y.,
June 7, 1868. Was graduated in pharmacy in 1889 from the Albany
College of Pharmacy; in medicine in 1895 from the Albany Medical
College. Was appointed in 1895 resident physician to the Albany
Homoeopathic Hospital, resigning the- position after an acceptable
service of three months to enter on a course of special studies in
1895. George Everett Noble, M. D. Born at Freehold, N. Y.,
November 17, 1871. Was graduated in 1895 from the New York
Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital. Appointed in May, 1895,
resident physician to the Albany Homoeopathic Hospital, and held that
position one year. Resigned in 1896 to form a business association
with Dr. George E. Gorham. Residence, in 1897, Albany, N. Y.
1896. Albert Husted Rogers, A. B., M, D. Born at Albany, N. Y.,
July 4, 1867. Was graduated in arts in 1S90 from Hamilton College; in
medicine in 1896 from the Albany Medical College, Received the ap-
pointment in May, 1896, to the position of resident physician to the
Albany Htjinoeopathic Hospital, which position (in 1897) he still holds.
JOURNALISM IN ALBANY COUNTY.
The historical record of Albany county must be followed for many
years before it appears that its inhabitants were blessed with a local news-
paper. Even when that appeared in 1771 it was one of the very few then
printed in this State. In 1811 there were only thirt3'-four in the whole
State, and within two years thereafter a paper was founded in Albany that
is still in existence. The city of Albany boasts of a long list of eminent
journalists, as they are termed in these modern years; indeed, it is doubt-
ful if any other city in the Union of similar size has been the home and
field of newspaper work of so many who were among the leaders in this
profession. The antiquity of the city, its position as the political cen-
ter and capital of the Empire State, and other less definite causes, have
doubtless contributed to bring within its gates so many men who en-
joyed high repute as makers of newspapers.
The first number of the first Albany newspaper, the Albany Gazette,
appeared in November, 1771; it lived less than a year. Those were
turbulent times, and the publishers, Alexander and James Robertson,
were loyal to Great Britain. This may have been the cause of the early
suspension of the Gazette. In any event, when the revolutionary up-
rising came the brothers left for Xova Scotia. The following quaint
apology appeared in their issue of January 13, 1772:
The printers of the Gazette, from motives of gratitude and duty, are obliged to
apologize to the public for the omission of one week's publication; and hope the
irregularity of the mail from New York since the first great fall of snow, and the
severe cold preceding Christmas, which froze the paper prepared for the press so as
to put a stop to its operation, will sufficiently account for it.
To old-time printers this extract will convey vivid impressions of a
pile of dampened paper left over night in a room warmed with a wood
tire which often died out during the night and left the sheets of paper
t(i freeze together in a solid mass. The omission of a number of one
of the very early papers was not an infrequent occurrence.
Before continuing the long mortuary list of Albany newspapers, we
shall first describe those tjiat are still in existence and potent forces in
the community, with their direct ancestors. The Albany Argus, the
first number of which appeared January 26, 1813, is the oldest news-
paper in Albany county, and among the oldest in the State. Its founder
was Jesse Buel, whose name must forever be prominently and honor-
ably associated with local journalism. He was born in Coventry, Conn.,
January 4, 1778, learned the printing trade and in June, 1797, began
the publication of the Troy Budget in association with Robert Moffitt.
He left that paper in 1804, having meanwhile published the Guardian
in Poughkeepsie in 1801, and the Political Banner, both of which lived
but a short time. Late in 1803 he established the Plebeian in Kings-
ton, which he published with success until the close of 1813, when he
settled in Albany and founded the Argus. In December, 1830, he sold
the latter establishment ' to Moses I. Cantine and I. O. Leake. The
former became editor-in-chief, and in the following year the Argus was
made the State paper, which aided in rapidly increasing its influence.
Mr. Cantine was a native of Catskill, received a classical education and
was admitted to the bar in 1798. His natural talent for writing led him
into the editorial profession. He died suddenly in January, 182:!,
necessitating a change in the Argus management. Edwin Croswell
had been one of the editors of the Catskill Recorder, and possessed ex-
cellent ability as a political writer. Attending Mr. Cantine's funeral,
he there met Martin Van Buren, Benjamin F. Butler, and Judge Will-
iam Duer, then leading Democrats in the State and deeply interested
in the prosperity of the Argus. They strongly urged him to take the
position of assistant editor with Mr. Leake, which he soon did. In
1835 the daily edition of the Argus was established. In 1831 Sherman
Croswell, cousin of Edwin, became an.associate in the editorial conduct
of the Argus. He was a native of New Haven, Conn., studied law and
was admitted to the bar in 1836. In 1833 he became Assembly re-
porter for the Argus, retaining the position for twenty-five years, with
the sole exception of one year (1854). At the time of his retirement in
1857 he had no superior in the country in his chosen field of woik
He became proprietor of the Argus establishment Juh ib ISU and
1 spices of the Stall
is perpetuated thi r
of rcsponsibi]it\ ind
so continued until Januai-y, 1855. In the previous year Edwin Cros-
well retired from the Argus and was succeeded by Gideon J. Tucker,
who was chosen secretary of state in 1857. In 1855 Sherman Croswell
and Mr. Tucker sold out to James I. Johnson, who associated with
liimself Calvert Comstock as editor.
In 1841 the firm of Vance & Wendell started the publication of the
Daily Albany Atlas, as the organ of the Barnburners, between which
and the so-called Hunker faction of the Democratic party a determined
and bitter strife was waged, the Argus taking the side of the Hunkers.
In the spring of 1843 William Cassidy became associated with Henry
H. Van Dyke in the editorial control of the Atlas. Mr. Cassidy was
born in Albany August 13, 1815, received his education in Union Col-
lege, and studied law. At the age of twenty five years he entered the
field of journalism as a writer on the Plaindealer and Rough Hewer,
then being published in Albany. From 1841 to 1843 he was State
librarian. Mr. Cassidy, as the friend of Silas Wright and a Free Soiler
and Barnburner, wielded his vigorous pen in their interest and made
his antagonists feel his power. The contest continued unabated until
the birth of the Republican party in 1856 wrought momentous political
changes. The Atlas and the Argus now saw that their interests were
mutual and a consolidation was effected. Mr. Cassidy 's power as a
writer led to his selection as editor of the Atlas and Argus, which soon
demonstrated his ability and fitness for the position in largely increased
influence and patronage. In 1865 the Argus Company was formed, as
a joint stock organization, of which Mr. Cassidy was made president,
and the weekly edition was established. He continued to edit the paper
almost up to the time of his death, which took place January 33, 1873.
At this time Daniel Manning (who had for some time acted as assist-
ant to Calvert Comstock), partner with Mr. Cassidy in the Argus, took
full charge of the establishment and was made president of the company.
Mr. Manning was born in Albany August 16, 1831, and at eleven years
of age began work in the Atlas establishment, where, by his native
ability, his unflagging industry, and his fealty to his employers, he rose
to the lofty position that he finally attained. He was born for a leader
in whatever field of endeavor he might enter. It has been written of
him that " No public man of either party in State service at Albany
for years past, has failed to feel the governing strength of Mr. Man-
ning's mind on the higher and larger interests of politics." He never
sought political office, but was long a leader in committees and con-
ventions, where his influence was paramtmnt. He served efficiently
and honorably in many positions of responsibility in his native city, and
was appointed secretary of the treasury in President Cleveland's cabinet
in 1885; he resigned in 1887, and died December 34, 1887. Stephen C.
Hutchins was editor of the paper from 1873 to 1878, and St. Clair McKel-
way from 1878 to 1887. A change was made in the summer of 1893 under
which William H. Johnson became president of the Argus Company;
William R. Cassidy vice-president, and William McMurtieSpeer, treas-
urer and manager. In the fall of 1894 Mr. Cassidy retired from the
company, and Edward Murphy, 2d, was elected vice-president, and
Amasa J. Parker, jr., secretary. In the spring of 1896 Mr. Speer re-
tired from the management of the Argus and James C. Farrell suc-
ceeded him as treasurer and general manager. At the same time T.
C. Callicott was made editor of the paper.
The first number of the Albany Evening Journal was issued March
22, 1830, by D. B. Packard & Co., with Thurlow Weed editor. This
is not the place to speak at length of the long and honorable career
of Thurlow Weed ; nor is it necessary, for his life has been well writ-
ten and is found in most libraries. He was born in the town of Cairo,
Greene county, N. Y., November 15, 1797, was given only limited
opportunity to obtain an education, and in 1808 went with his parents
to Cincinnatus, Cortland county, to aid in building a log house and
clearing land. In the following year the family removed to Onondaga
Hollow, near Syracuse, and there he learned the printing trade with
Lewis H. Redfield, the pioneer journalist of that locality. He was
next found about 1812 publishing the Tocsin in the town of Scipio,
Cayuga county. Next he was working at his trade with Seward & Will-
iams in Utica, whence he left for the frontier with the army in 1813.
Returning he found employment with Webster & Skinner in Albany.
From that time until 1815 he worked in various offices, and then again
located in Albany, where he learned his first lessons in politics by lis-
tening to debates in the Legislature. He worked in the Argus office
in 1816, and in the following year was given the foremanship of the
Albany Register. There he began his first efforts at editorial writing,
giving early indication of his future powers. Between 1818, in which
year he purchased an office and established the Agriculturist in Che-
nango county, and 1830, Mr. Weed was employed in the Albany Argus
office, and the Rochester Telegraph office, and from Rochester he was
elected to the Assembly in 1825 and again in 1830. During this interven
ing period he had made the acquaintance of many of the leading politi-
cians of the State. It was while Mr. Weed was in the Assembly in 1830
that the project of founding the Albany Evening Journal was discussed
and finally consummated, and he was chosen its editor. He held that
position more than thirty years, attaining a position in the political
field and as a writer that has been reached by few. He retired in 1869,
and was succeeded by George Dawson as editor. Mr. Weed died in
New York November 32, 1883.
George Dawson was a native of Scotland where he was born March
13, 1813. His father came to America in 1816 and two years later
brought over his wife and three young children. The son was given
very limited opportunity to obtain education, and when eleven years
old began learning the printing trade in the office of the Niagara Glean-
er, the family at that time being residents of that locality. In 1836 the
family removed to Rochester where Thurlow Weed was then editing
the Anti-Masonic Inquirer. There Dawson found employment and
began the acquaintance and friendship with the man with whom he was
eventually to be so intimately associated. When Mr. Weed came to
Albany and was given the editor's chair on the Evening Journal, he
was followed by Mr. Dawson, who was made foreman of the office He
soon began contributing to the editorial columns of the Journal and his
articles were influential in extending the patronage of the paper. In
the legislative session of 1831 he began reporting the proceedings,
showing marked ability in that line of work, which he continued until
I83G, when he was called to the editorship of the Rochester Democrat.
There he was remarkably successful and gained a reputation that led to
his being requested to accept a similar position on the Detroit Adver-
tiser, in August, 1839. Very soon after assuming this position he was
appointed State printer for Michigan, and held that office until 18-13,
in which year the Advertiser office was burned. He then returned to
the editorial chair of the Rochester Democrat and there remained until
August, 1846, when, at the urgent and prolonged solicitation of Mr.
Weed, he accepted the post of associate editor of the Albany Evening
Journal. During all of Mr. Weed's career the Journal was almost om-
nipotent with the Whig and Republican parties, and Mr. Dawson shared
almost equally its care and prosperity. In 1862 Mr. Weed retired from
the editorship of the paper and Mr. Dawson succeeded him as senior
editor and proprietor. He ably filled this station until 1877, when
George W. Demers was given the editorial chair, and in the same year
Mr. Dawson sold his interest in the establishment to Charles E. Smith,
afterwards editor of the Philadelphia Press. Mr. Dawson did some
desultory editorial work for the Journal until 1880, when, for a time,
he again took the managing helm, on account of the retirement of Mr.
vSmith, who had endorsed Governor Cornell's nomination of John F.
Smyth as superintendent of the Insurance Department, which was dis-
approved of by the controlling partners. Mr. Dawson finally retired
in September, 1883, and was succeeded by Harold Frederick, who has
since obtained high recognition as London correspondent of New York
papers. Mr. Dawson was appointed, without personal solicitation, post-
master of x\lbany in 1861 and held the office six years. Outside of
journalism Mr. Dawson was gifted as a writer. ,He was possessed of
a poetic temperament, loved nature in all her moods, and was an enthu-
siastic angler, for the benefit it was to him and the opportunity it gave
him to study the works of the Creator. He was author of the ver}-
pleasing work, "Pleasures of Angling," He died in Albany February
In March, 1884, the Albany Journal Company was formed, with W.
J. Arkell, president; J. W. Drexel, secretary; James Arkell, treasurer,
the editorial chair being given to John A. Sleicher. The Albany
Morning Express was started September 13, 1847, and after passing
through the control of different publishers, among whom were Munsell
& Co., in 1854, its name was changed to the Daily Statesman in 1857.
It continued as such a few years and suspended. The Albany Morning
Express was revived by Stone & Henly, who were the original propri-
etors, on May 4, 1857, with J. C. Cuyler, editor. The Albany Weekly
Express was first issued August 4, 1881, and a Sunday edition March
4, 1883. These were published by the Albany Express Company, com-
posed of Edward Henly, J. C. Cuyler, Addison A. Keyes, and Nathan
D. Wendell. In 1888 the Express establishment was purchased by
William Barnes, jr., and became part of the Journal Company in 1880.
The officers of the Journal Company are William Barnes, jr. , president ;
J. H. Lindsay, secretary and manager; John M. Davis, treasurer.
The managing editor of the Journal is John Hastings, while Arthur
Lucas occupies this position on the Express. Mr. Barnes is editor-in-
chief of both papers.
The Albany Knickerbocker was founded and its first number issued
September 4, 1843, by Hugh J. Hastings. Mr. Hastings was a native
of Ireland and came to this country with liis parents when eight years
WILLIAM BARNES, JR.
THE CULTTV/JOKAUI) COUFTRY
HCTNnSFIECE rOKVOL ~
old. Though his opportunities were not the best for obtaining an educa-
tion, he was a great reader and gradually acquired a large store of
general information. He mingled in politics, made the acquaintance
of influential men, and soon made his paper popular and successful.
The Weekly Knickerbocker was first published June 8, 1857. Mr.
Hastings sold his establishment in 1867 and purchased a controlling-
interest in the New York Commercial Advertiser, his conduct of which
added to his high reputation as a journalist. He died in September,
1883. The first number of the Sunday Press was issued May 13, 1870,
and of the Daily Press on February 30, 1877. On August 10 of the last
named year these journals were consolidated and published under the
title. Press and Knickerbocker, by the Press Company, then composed
of John H. Farrell, Myron H. Rooker, and James McFarlane. The
officers of the company at the present time are: President and treas-
urer, Myron H. Rooker; secretary, John W. Walsh.
The Albany Times-Union is composed of two separate new.spapers.
The Albany Morning Times (later the Evening Times) was started
April 21, 1S.5G, by Barnes & Godfrey; it was afterwards published by
Alfred Stone, by David M. Barnes, Edward H. Boyd, and later bv
Samuel Wilbor. On the 1st of March, 1861, the Times was con-
solidated with the Evening Courier (started in August, 1858). The
Albany Weekly Times was first issued July 16, 1872. The paper
passed through the usual vicissitudes under various changes in man-
agement and editorship. In May, 1881, Theophilus C. Callicot, now
editor of the Argus, took the editorial chair. The Albany Evening-
Union was first issued by the Union Printing and Publishing Company
on May 29, 1882. On July 15, 1883, John J. Parr became editor and
l)roprietor, and a little later Fred W. White was made president of the
company and editor of the paper. Mr. White was succeeded by Ira
L. Wales, an editoral writer on the Albany Argus, and a man of indom-
itable perseverance, great natural ability, and a wide acquaintance
among public men. Mr. Wales assumed entire control of the Union,
and had succeeded in making it a paying property when death inter-
vened and wrote an untimely "30" to a rising and brilliant career. In
November, 1891, John H. -Farrell bought both papers and consolidated
them under the present title. Mr. Callicott acted as editor until the
summer of 1890, when he took his present position on the Argus.
The Cultivator was a monthly agricultural journal established, as be
fore stated, by Jesse Buel in March, 1831. Others who were early
connected with the pajjer were J. P. Beekman and J. D. Wasson. It
was subsequently published by W. Gaylord and L. Tucker, and later
by L. Tucker & Son. Luther Tucker's name is prominent among
those of Albany journalists. He was born in Brandon, Vt., May 7,
1802. He early learned the printing' trade, at which he worked a num-
ber of years as a journeyman, and in 1825 joined with Henry C.
Sleight in the publication at Jamaica, L. I., of works for New York