Copyright
Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 24 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 24 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


firms. In 1826 he went to Rochester, where he had formerly worked,
and on October 2T issued the first number of the Rochester Daily Ad-
vertiser — the first daily newspaper west of Albany. The new paper
was a success, and on January 1, 1831, while still conducting it, he
issued the initial number of the Genesee Farmer. This was one of
the earliest of the long list of agricultural newspapers, and its name
soon became familiar throught the country. Having finally acquired
sufficient means to carry out his wish, he purchased a farm near Roch-
ester and sold his daily paper, which still exists as the Rochester Union
and Advertiser. Before a year had passed Jesse Buel died, leaving his
agricultural paper, the Cultivator, without a head and a proposition
was made to Mr. Tucker to consolidate the two. This arrangement
was effected and the new journal was removed to Albany where the
number for January, 1840, was issued. This journal was continued a.s
the Cultivator and in January, 1853, Mr. Tucker, associated with John
T. Thomas, started the Country Gentleman, another very successful
paper, the character of which is happily set forth in its name. The
two journals were consolidated and issued as a weekly January 4, 1866,
which soon ranked high, as it does to day, among the leading agricul-
tural papers of the country. Mr. Tucker died January 26, 1873, hav-
ing previously associated in his business his sons, Luther H. and Gil-
bert M. Tucker. On the 1st of December, 1893, L. H. Tucker, jr., was
admitted to the firm. Luther H. Tucker died February 23, 1897.

The first number of the Albany Telegram (weekly) was issued March
14, 1888, by James Hill, in association with Messrs. Hazard & Brooks,
publishers of the Elmira Telegram, and as a part of that enterprise.
A dissolution was effected in January, 1893, Mr. Hill taking the Albany
edition and his partners the Elmira paper. The Telegram has a large
circulation both in Albany and the surrounding country.

The German population of Albany county has for many years been
represented by excellent papers printed in their own language. Of
these the oldest is the Freie Blaetter, which was started by August




LUTHER H. TUCKER.



241

Miggael and Henry Bender in 18.53; the former has for many years
been sole pVoprietor, with Julius Kaestner editor. The paper is Dem-
ocratic in politics,

The Albany Daily Herold (German) was started in 1868, by Jacob
Heinmiller. Upon his death it was conducted by his widow until 1895,
when she sold to the present proprietors, L. Munchausen and W. Ves-
perman, the latter being the editor. The Herold is Republican in
politics.

The Albany Sonntag- Journal was started in 1884 by the German
Publishing and Printing Company, ,of which Max Kurth is president
and manager; Michael Schrodt, vice-president; John Gutman, secre-
tary and treasurer. This company publishes, also, the Frdie Deutsche
Presse in Troy.

The Farmers' Union League Advocate was started March 31, 1892,
by L. D. Collins, ji'., who is still publisher and editor. It is an
agricultural journal and the organ of the Farmers' League of this
State.

There are a number of small religious, family and temperance
papers issued in Albany, but which do not possess local importance.
Seven of this character are published by the Leonard Publishing Com-
pany, as follows: Everybody's Paper, started January 1, 1875; Tem-
perance Truths, started January 1, 1875; Bright Jev/els, started January
1, 1875; Everybody's Magazine, started January 1, 1885; Little Folks'
Paper, started January 1, 1885; Buds of Promise, started January 1,
1885; The Sunday Hour, started January 1, 1894.

The existing newspapers published in Albany county outside of the
city are few in number and are properly noticed in the histories of the
towns in this volume.

The list of newspapers that have been published in Albany for lon-
ger or shorter periods and suspended is a long one. They can be but
briefly mentioned here. One of the earliest printers in Albany was
Solomon Balentine, and he was connected with the publication of the
second journal issued in the city. In 1782 Charles R. Webster settled in
Albany and joined with Mr. Balentine in the publication of the New
York Gazette and Northern Intelligencer, the first number of which
was issued June 2. Webster was a practical printer. In 1783 he left
the partnership and went to New York where he began publishing the
New York Gazette. This was not a permanent enterprise and in 1784
he returned to Albany (Mr. Balentine having meanwhile left) and on



343

May 38 issued the first number of the Albany Gazette. This paper had
Federal proclivities, though its columns were held open to some extent
to both parties. Its editorial management was on a high plane and the
paper wielded a powerful influence in the early years. On the 35th of
May, 1789, the publication of a semi-weekly edition was begun, and in
March, 1817, it was consolidated with the Albany Advertiser. This
latter paper was started September 35, 1815, by John Walker, prin-
ter, and Theodore Dwight, editor, as a daily. At the time of the
consolidation it was published by William L Stone. Mr. Webster soon
associated with himself his brother, George Webster, and the firm of
C. R. & G. Webster became widely known. On January 36, 1788, they
began the publication of a semi-weekly with the long title. The Albany
Journal, or Montgomery, Washington and Columbia Intelligencer;
this paper was issued in connection with the Gazette, and was discon-
tinued May 35, 1789. The Webster firm was dissolved in 1831 by the
death of George. The survivor purchased his brother's half of the
property at the Elm Tree corner for $13,000, and the firm of E. W.
Skinner & Co. was formed, which purchased one-half of the stock of
the establishment. The firm of Webster & Skinner then continued
until the death of Mr. Webster, July 18, 1834. The original publica-
tion continued in existence until April 14, 1845.

In February, 1788, the Federal Herald was removed to Albany from
Lansingburgh by Claxton & Babcock, but remained but a short time.
In the same year the Albany Register was started by John and Robert
Barber and continued until 1808, when Solomon South wick took it
and continued until 1817. It was revived in 1818 by Israel W. Clark.

In November, 1796, the Chronicle was started by John McDonald;
discontinued in 1799. The Albany Centinel was started in 1797 by
Loring C. Andrews, and suspended November 10, 1806. It was at once
revived with the title, the Centinel Revived in The Republican Crisis,
by Backus & Whiting, and later was published by Isaac Mitchell, Harry
Croswell & Co., in 1808, and Croswell & Frary in 1809, when the name
was changed to the Balance and New York State Journal. In 1811 it
was removed to Hudson.

In 1807 the Guardian was started by Van Benthuysen & Wood ; it
lived about two years. It was a literary publication and was issued
from what was the beginning of the oldest printing establishment
now in existance in Albany. O. R. Van Benthuysen left the part-
nership with Wood in 1808 and opened a separate office in rear of



243

the present 376 Broadway. In 1814 Robert Packard became associated
with him. In 1839 the firm of Charles Van Benthuysen & Co. was
formed, composed of father and son Charles. In 1848 Charles Van
Benthuysen became the sole proprietor, continuing such until 1860,
when his sons, Charles H. and Frank, were admitted to the partnership.
The business is still in existence under proprietorship of Charles Van
Benthuysen.

On April 11, 1812, Samuel R. Brown started the Albany Republican,
and was soon succeeded by B. F. Romaine; the paper was finally taken
to Saratoga. In 1813-14 the Stranger, 8vo. , was published by John
Cook. In June, 1815, Horatio Gates Spofirord began publishing the
American Magazine, which lived less than a year. The Christian Vis-
itant, by Mr. .Southwick, started this year, has been mentioned. The
Friend was another ephemeral publication of this year, by D. & S. A.
Abbey ; it lived a year. The Statesman was published and edited by
Nathaniel H. Carter in 1815, and was removed to New York in 1818.

Solomon Southwick'sl Ploughboy was started in 1819 and in 1820
Charles Galpin started the Albany Microscope, which lived but a few
years. August 3, 1822, Bezaleel Howe issued the first number of the
Oriental Star, a religious weekly. In 1823 William McDougal began
publishing the National Democrat in Albany and New York; it was
discontinued in April of the next year, but was at once revived by
vSolomon Southwick, but proved to be short-lived. In May, 1824,
Chauncey Webster started the Religious Monitor, which was removed
to Philadelphia. In 1825, August 8, George Galpin issued the first
number of the Albany Patriot and Daily Commercial Intelligencer.
This was doubtless short-lived, for on July 25, 1826, Mr. Galpin started
the National Observer, with Mr. Southwick editor, which continued
four years.

The year 1820 saw the birth of a long list of newspapers, few of



'Solo


mon Southwicl


: wa


IS distinguished n.


Dt alone as


a publisher, but as a poll


iticiai


1 and man


of affairs.


He was a nat


ive


of Newport, R. I.,


where he


published and edited the


;New


port Mer-


cury duri


ing a part of th


eR(


;volutio


nary period. Later


he located in .-Mbany whe


■re he


was asso-


ciated wi


th his brother-i


in-k


iw, John Barber, i


n the Reg]


ister office. He was soon


made


a partner


and upon Mr. Barber's


; de


ath in :


1K08, he su.


:ceeded to


the establishment. The


Regii




Democra


tic organ and


Mr.


Southxx


■ick made


it a pow^


er in the .State, being himself a leader in


the party


. TheRegiste


r CO


ntinued


for a nurr


iber of yea


irs, aiid after its suspensit


mhe


published


the Ploughboy. He alsc




ited the


Christian


Visitant, i


md later the National Dei


mocra


.t. During


the anti-


Masonic e.xcitf


■me


nt he c


stablished


and for s


everal years conducted th


le National Ob-


server, ai


i organ of that


misi


.;uided .


noveinent


. Herecei


ved the nomination for govern


or against


Martin V


an Buren and S


imit


h Thon-


ipson. Fa


iling of ek


:ction, he withdrew from


the t


lurmoil of


political :


life. He died ii


Q Novembei


r, 1839.











244

which survived more than a brief period. On April 22 the Albany
Daily Chronicle was started by Charles Galpin and M. M. Cole. In
the same month John Denio and vSeth Richards started the Albany
Morning Chronicle, which was discontinued within a year. E. B.
Child started the Escritoire, or Masonic and Miscellaneous Album,
which in February was chapged to the American Masonic Record and
Albany Saturday Magazine. January 30, 1830, the name was again
changed to American Masonic Record and Albany Literary Journal,
which title probably killed it. In May, 1826, L. G. Hoffman started
the Albany Christian Register, with J. R. Boyd, editor. This paper
was subsequently united with a religious journal in Utica and pub-
lished as the Journal and Telegraph by Hosford & Wait in 1831. Mr.
Hoffman at about this time started and published about 'five years the
American Masonic Register.

In May, 1827, Solomon Southwick started the Antidote, which was
continued only a short time. Matthew Cole started the Standard,
which was short-lived. On August 4, the Comet was started with
Daniel McGlashan editor. October 13 the Albany Signs of the Times
and Literary Writer was born, with Daniel McGlashan publisher, and
J. B. Van Schaick and S. D. W. Bloodgood editors.

The Daily Morning Chronicle was issued in 1828 by Beach, Denio &
Richards. The Age, by Galpin & Sturtevant ; and the Albany Times and
Literary Writer, with slight change in name, passed to James McGlash-
an, publisher. The Albany Minerva was started this year by Joel
Munsell,^ whose name and fame is indissolubly connected with print-
ing and publishing in Albany. The Minerva was continued several
years.

Arthur N. Sherman started the Albanian January 30, 1830, and on
April 3 the Farmers', Mechanics', and Workingmen's Advocate was
issued by McPherson & McKercher. In the same month the Albany
Bee was started by J. Duffy, W. S. McCulloch and C. Angus.

ijoel Munsell was born in Northfield, Mass., April 14, 1808. He early learned the printing
trade in Greenfield, Mass., and soon came to Albany. Here he worked at his trade as a journey-
man until 1830, when he started his first paper. In 1834 he was associated with Henry D. Stone in
successfully publishing the Microscope. In 18:K he set up a job printing office at 58 State street.
He was a skillful workman himself and soon gained a high reputation in the art. He engaged
largely in book printing and publishing, among his most useful publications being the Annals of
Albany, in ten volumes, which were begun in 1849 and completed in 18.W. He also published four
volumes of Collections on the History of Albany. About a dozen newspapers and periodicals
were issued from his printing office, on some of which he was editorially employed. No man
has done more for the perpetuation of local history and in the local publication of worthy books
than Mr. Munsell. His death took place January 15, 1880, his sons Charles and Frank succeeding



245

On September 7, 1831, the Albany Literary Gazette appeared with
John P. Jermain, editor, and James D. Nicholson, publisher. On No-
vember 21, Hosford & Wait took up the publication of the Journal and
Telegraph before mentioned. The Temperance Recorder had a brief
existence beginning this year. In 1832 the Daily Craftsman began a
short existence, and the Albany Quarterly was first issued by the Al-
bany Historical Society. In February, 1833, the American Quarterly
Hemp Magazine was started and continued two years. In 1834 the
Daily News, by Hunter & Hoffman, and the Albany Whig, by J. B.
Van Schaick, were started. In January the American Temperance
Intelligencer began a brief existence. *

On October 12, 1835, the Albany Transcript was started as a penny
paper by C. F. Powell & Co. In May of this year the Silk Worm was
established and continued two years as a monthly, when it was changed
to the Silk Worm and Sugar Manual; discontinued in 1858. The Al-
bany Bouquet and Literary (Spectator was started this year by George
Trumbull; it was a short-lived monthly. In 1836 was commenced the
publication of a monthly called the Zodiac, by De Coudrey Holstein,
and another paper, the Common School Assistant, by J. Orville Tay-
lor. Neither lived long.

In 1838 Solomon Southwick published a short time the Family News-
paper; and on July 4 was started the Daily Patriot, an anti-slavery
paper, by J. G. Wallace. In 1840 Horace Greeley started the Jeffer-
sonian. The Albany Patriot was published by J. C. Jackson and con-
tinued four years. Other ephemeral publications of the year, chiefly
for campaign purposes, were the Unionist, the Tomahawk and Scalp-
ing Knife, and the Rough Hewer. In 1842 H. O'Kane published the
Irishman seven weeks. Other unimportant papers of the year were
the Sunday Tickler, the Albany Switch, and the Youth's Temperance
Enterprise ; the latter lived three years.

Besides the Knickerbocker, elsewhere noted, the Subterranean was
started in 1843 by James Duffy. On April 9, 1845, Thomas A. Devyr
started the Albany Freeholder, an anti-rent organ. Joel Munsell
started the Gavel; Woodward & Packard began the Scourge, and
Abbott & Crosby the Vesper Bell.

On December 8, 1846, the Albany Herald was started by A. B. Van
O'Linda. December 17 the Albany Morning Telegraph was first issued.
In 1847 the District School Journal was published by Francis Dwight;
the Castigator, by M. J. Smith, and the year saw the beginning of the



246

Express, now controlled by the Journal Company. Jasper Hazen be-
gan the issue of the Christian Palladium in 1848, which was removed
to New Haven in 1855, with the name changed in 1849 to the Christian
Herald. E. Andrews began the publication of the Busy Bee and con-
tinued it two years. On May 15, 1849, the Albany Daily Messenger
was started by B. F. Romaine. On June 30 the Sunday Dutchman was
started. Besides the first issue of the Albany Daily Times, elsewhere
described, B. F. Romaine started the Half-Dollar Monthly in 1850.
The Albany Atlas was also begun in this year.

On the 1st of September, 1851, John Sharts started the Albany Daily
Eagle, whiA survived four months. On January 4, the American
Mechanic was started by J. M. Patterson. The Carson League, a rad-
ical temperance organ, was started by T. L. Carson and J. T. Hazen,
and soon removed to Syracuse. The Albany Mirror and Literary Cab-
inet was published by J. H. Carroll and W. M. Colburn, and the Cith-
ren, by Warner & Hooker. The Northern Light was also issued in this
year and continued about three years, with able editors.

The papers of 1852 which were soon wrecked, were the Temperance
Recorder; the Family Intelligencer, by Rev. Jasper Hazen; and the
New York Teacher, the organ of the New York State Teachers' Asso-
ciation.

On February 1, 1853, Cuyler & Henly started a penny paper called
the Evening Transcript. >The Prohibitionist was started this year as
the organ of the State Temperance Society; in 1857 it united with the
Journal of the American Temperance Union. In 1854 D. C. Estes
started the Family Journal. July 21, 1855, the State Police Tribune
was started by S. H. Parsons and R. M. Griffin; it was removed to
New York. March 26, 185G, the Albany Daily Statesman was started;
September 8, was begun the Albany Evening Union, a penny paper,
by James McFarlane, which became consolidated with the Times. George
Herb began the publication of the Albany Volksblatt this year. In
1857 was started the Albany Evening Herald, the name of which was
changed in June, 1857, to Albany Evening Union. On May 4, Charles
Galpin started the Microscope.

The papers of 1858 were the American Citizen ; the Evening Courier,
started in August; the Hour and the Man, daily and weekly, by George
W. Clarke and John J. Thomas; the Mercantile Horn, started in Oc-
tober; the Voice of the People, a campaign paper; the Evening Stan-
dard, by R. M. Griffin & Co., started in December; the Independent



347

Press, which lived only a few months ; Astronomical Notes, b)' Pro-
fessor Brunow; the American Magazine, monthly, by J.S. & B. Wood;
the Gavel, by John Tanner; and the State Military Gazette, by C. G.
Stone, afterward removed to New York.

The first issue of the Evening Post appeared in October, 1860, pub-
lished by R. M. & E. Griffin ; R. M. Griffin, editor. This journal was
successfully conducted until July, 1895, when it was merged with The
State, a new Republican daily, which was established with a heavy in-
vestment and apparently bright prospects. The enterprise was, how-
ever, a very injudicious one and the paper lived less than a year.

On Januray 17, 1863, appeared the first number of the Standard and
Statesman, which did not long survive. The Voice was started as a
monthly by Edgar S. Werner, in January, 1879. The Albany Law
Journal was first issued January 9, 1870, with Isaac Grant Thompson,
editor and still continues, imder the editorship of AmasaJ. Parker, jr.,
to be one of the leading legal journals of the country. The first num-
ber of the Catholic Telegraph appeared in January, 1380. The Poultry
Monthly was started by the Ferris Publishing Company in November,
1879. Forest, Forge and Farm was started by H. S. Ouackenbush in
188-2. Outing was started in 1883 by the Outing Publishing and Print-
ing Company, and was removed to Boston. The Inquirer and Criterion
was first issued by Charles S. Carpenter; taken in February, 1883, by
Burdick & Taylor; discontinued January 5, 1884, and revived as The
Inquirer April 30, 1884. The Daily News was incorporated March 37,
1895, but the publication ceased after a few months.

The following, supplied by a well-known and versatile writer, is
thought to be of sufficient interest to warrant its insertion in this
chapter :

SOME ALBANY PERIODICALS.

Joseph A. Lawson.

The progress of a city in its literary development is attested in
various ways. One of the most satisfactory evidences to be adduced
is the encouragement it has given to, or withheld from, publications of
a periodical nature. The following brief summary of such ventures,
incomplete though it be, will go very far toward assigning Albany to
its proper place as a literary center.

One of the earliest magazines to make its appearance was "The



•348

Stranger," a literary paper, published by John C



Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 24 of 138)