Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 37 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 37 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

of New York Provincial Congress, 177.5-7; member of committee to draft the Consti-
tution of New York, 1777; paymaster 5th Regiment, New York Line, Col. Lewis
Dubois, June 35. 1777-January 1, 1778.

Treadwell, Col. George Curtis. — Great-great-grandson of Gov. John Treadwell of

Tucker, Willis Gaylord, M.D. — Great- great-grandson of Stephen Tucker, corporal
in Captain McClellan's Company, Woodstock, Conn., lieutenant in command of 6th
Company of 11th Regiment of Militia at New York in 1776.

Van Allen, Theodore Frelingbuysen Collier, M.D. — Great-great grandson of Col.
Frederick Frelingbuysen, New Jersey Militia; major in Colonel Stewart's Battalion
New Jersey Minute-men, February 15, 1776; captain Eastern Company of Artillery,
N. Y. State troops, March 1, 1776; colonel 1st Battalion Somerset County N. J. Mili-
tia, February 28, 1778; member New Jersey Provisional Congress, 177.5-8; member
Continental Congress, 1778 and 1782-3.

Van Antwerp, John Henry.— Great-grandson of Lewis Simon Van Antwerp,
member of Committee of Correspondence and Safety, Schaghticoke, Albany county,
N. Y., 1776.

Vander Veer, Edgar Albert, M. I). — Great-great-grandson of Jacob Dievendorf,
captain in 1st Company, 5th Battalion, Tryon County, NewY'ork, Militia.

Van Heusen, John Manning. — Great-great-grandson of Joseph Manning, private
in Captain Olney's Company, Angell's Regiment, Rhode Island, 1780 and 1783.

Van Tuyl, George Casey, jr. — Great-great-grandson of John Van Tuyl, corporal
in Lansing's Company, Orange County Regiment, New Y'ork Line.

Viele, Maurice Edward. — Great-grandson of Col. John Knickerbocker, Albany
County Militia, 1775-8.

Wadhams, Frederick Eugene. — Great-grandson of Ebnezer Bostwick, private in
Capt. Elizur Warner's Company, 7th Regiment Connecticut Line, Col. Heraan
vSwift; corporal same company, and sergeant same company.

Wallace, Major William Addison.— Great-grandson of Abijah Thompson, Capt,
Samuel Belknap's Company, Woburn, Massachusetts, Militia, at Lexington and Cam-
bridge, 19 April, 1775; also, great-great great-grandson of Private Rowlandson
Bond. Captain Warner's Company, Colonel Collins's Regiment, Massachusetts Line,
1777-80; also, great-great-grandson of Capt. John Wisner, captain of Florida and


Warwick Company. Orange County Minute-men, Col. Isaac Nichols's Regiment,
March, 1:76.

Warner, Gen. James Meech. — Great-grandson of Lieut. Joseph Little, Welch's
Regiment, New Hampshire Volunteers; joined the Northern Army at Saratoga,
September 38, 1777. Gen. J. M. Warner died March 16, 1897.

Wetmore, Prof. Edward Willard. — Great-grandson of Surgeon Ellis Willard;
private Massachusetts Militia; at Boston, April, 1775; hospital surgeon, New York,
177.5-9; surgeon in military hospitals at Boston, 1780 5.

Whitney, William Minott. — Grandson of Brig-Gen. Josiah Whitney, one of the
"Boston Tea Party," December 16,1773; at Concord, April 19,177.5; lieutenant-
colonel of Col. Asa Whitcomb's Massachusetts Continental Regiment at Bunker Hill
and Siege of Boston, April to December, 1765; colonel of Massachusetts Militia be-
fore Boston, January to April, 1776; colonel of " Colony" Regiment raised to fortify
the town and harbor of Boston, April, 1776 — January, 1777; colonel in command of
Massachusetts Militia, Rhode Lsland Alarm, April, May and June, 1777, and Ben-
nington Alarm, August, 1777; at Saratoga, September and October, 1777; member
of last Provincial Legislature, 1779; member of convention that framed State Con-
stitution for Massachusetts in 1780; member of first State Legislature in 1780, and
also those of 1788 and 1789; promoted to brigadier-general, July, 1781.

Williams, Captain Chauncey Pratt. — Great-grandson of Jehiel Williams, corporal
in Captain Tilden's Company, engaged at Bunker Hill ; enlisted from Connecticut.

Williams, Robert Day. — Great-grandson of Corporal Isaac Foot, gunner 2d Regi-
ment Connecticut Artillery, Col. John Lamb, 1777; corporal same, 1780.

Woodruff, Hon. Timothy Lester, Lieutenant-Governor of New York State. — Great-
grandson of Private Samuel Scott, Capt. William Judd's Company, Col. Samuel
Wylly'sSd Regiment, Connecticut Line, served on the Hudson May 1, 1777-January
1, 1778.

Youngman, Hon. Vreelaud Houghwout. — Grandson of Private John Youngman,
Wingate's New Hampshire Militia Regiment; private, also, in Frye's Company, 3d
New Hampshire Line; at Saratoga, Monmouth, and Valley Forge; and Harry
Vreeland Youngman, great-grandson of above.

Following are lists of members of other organizations of the charac-
actei under consideration, which have been prepared for this work:

Order of the Cincinnati. — J. Howard King, Richard Varick De Witt.

Sons of the American Revolution. — William H. McClure, Archibald Jermain Mc-
Clure, William Herrick Griffith, George Comstock Baker, Captain C. C. Cu.ssick,
Captain Chauncey Pratt Williams, Hon. Erastus Corning, Dr. Frederick Joseph
Cox, Hon. James A. Roberts. Williani N. Stetson, John N. Cutler, Hon. Edward T.

Society War of 1S12 in the State of New Kor/!-.— Henry Harmon Noble, William
Herrick Griftith (Pennsylvania Society), George Comstock Baker. Elijah Warriner
JIurphey, James William Cox, jr., Frederick Eugene, Wadhams, James Duncan

(/. S. Daughters of 1S12. — Mr.s. Henry Harmon Noble.

Society of Colonial Wars. — There are thirty-six members, nearly all of whom are
members of Sons of Revolution.

Military Order of Foreign Wars of the U. S. — Henry Harmon Noble, George

Military Order of the Members of the Loyal Legion in Albany. — Major Richard
L. Annesley, Lieut. John M, Bailey, Judson Hooker Bailey, 3d class, Major Herman
Bendell, Major Charles J. Buchanan, Col. Stephen P. Corliss, M. H., Lieut. -Col.
Frank Chamberlain, Eugene T. Chamberlain, 2d class, Capt. Louis Dietz, Lieut.
Bertold Fernow, Lieut. William Kidd, Henry M. Kidd, 2d class, Capt.. Charles R.
Knowles, Gen. Selden E. Marvin, Selden E. Marvin, jr., 2d class, Lieut. -Col. An-
drew E. Mather, Major John S. McEwan, Major John L. Newman, Lieut. -Col. Dud-
ley Olcott, Capt. John Palmer, Ensign Clarence Rathbone, Capt. Oscar D. Robin-
son, Gustavius C. Sniper, Lieut. Col. Alexander Strain, Lieut. David A. Teller,
Major Jacob H. Ten Eyck, Franklin Townsend, 3d class. Gen. Frederick Townsend,
Frederick Townsend, jr., 2d class. Major Albert Vander Veer, Edgar A. Vander
Veer, 2d class, Capt. Samuel B. Ward, Lieut. Andrew G. White, Major Bradford
R. Wood, Major George H. Tread well, George Curtis Tread well, 3d class. Col. Fred
Phisterer, Gen. Nathaniel Wales, Mass. Commandery; Gen. Robert Shaw OUiver,
Mass. Commandery; Edward Bowditch, 3d class, Mass. Commandery.

Ancient Chivalric and Heraldic Order of Kmghts of Albion. — Major Harmon
Pumpelly Read, Director-General and Herald; William Herrick Griffith, Registrar
General and Genealogist,

Order of Old Guard, Chicago.— George Comstock Baker, William Herrick

Daughters of tl/e Cincinnati — Mrs. Abraham Lansing.

Society of the Colonial Datnes of America. — ^JSIrs. Erastus Corning, Mrs. Selden
E. Marvin, Mrs. Anna Parker Pruyn, Miss Hybertie L. Pruyn, Mrs. William Gor-
ham Rice.

Society of Colonial Dames of State of N. K— Mrs. William H. McClure, Mrs.
John DeWitt Peltz, Miss Mary B. S. Tibbets, Mrs. Garret A. Van Allen, Mrs. Will-
iam Bayard Van Rensselaer, Mrs. Levi P. Morton, Mrs. James W. Cox, jr.


This city has always been the home of banking institutions of high
character and ample means. Failure in such institutions have been
comparatively few, while the facilities afforded by them to tradesmen
and manufacturers have been liberal and progressive. The first dis-
cussion, as far as known, relating to the establishment of a bank in
Albany took place in Lewis's tavern on February 3, 1792. At that early
date the need of a bank in the northern part of the State was felt,
there being but one in the whole State. At a subsequent "meeting plans
were outlined, the name, Bank of Albany, settled, and the capital fixed at
$75,000, in five hundred shares, with a board of thirteen directors, nine
of whom should reside in Albany. Jeremiah Van Rensselaer, Jacob
Van Derheyden and Barent Bleecker were to open subscription books

in the following week and close them when five hundred shares were
taken. The books were opened February 17, and the stock was over-
subscribed in less than three hours. After the books were closed offers
of ten per cent, advance on the stock were made, and within a week it
rose to one hundred per.cent. Considerable difficulty was encountered
in obtaining a charter, and the price of the stock fluctuated somewhat
until towards the close of the legislative session, when the act of incor-
poration became a law. The first board of directors was elected June
12, 1793, as follows: Abraham Ten Broeck, Cornelius Glen, Stephen
Van Rensselaer, Jeremiah Van Rensselaer, John Maley, Abraham A'an
Vechten, Henry Cuyler, John Stephenson, James Caldwell, Jacob Van
Derheyden, Goldsboro Banyar, Daniel Hale and Elkanah Watson. Mr.
Ten Broeck was elected president of the bank, and business was com-
menced on the 16th of July. The incorporating act limited the bank
capital to $260,000, but in February, 1794, it was increased to $540,000, in
135 shares. In 1833 the charter of the bank was extended to January,
1855, at which time, for the purpose of more widely diffusing the stock,
its par value was reduced to $30 and the number of shares proportion-
ately increased. The bank was at first located in an old Dutch edifice
in North Pearl street, but in 1794 a bank building was erected and oc-
cupied until 1810, when a second building was erected by the bank on
the corner of State and. Broadway. This was demolished in 183^-J in
widening State street, and the bank removed to No. 43 State street,
and from there to the Merchants' Bank building, where it remained
until 1861. The presidents of this bank from 1792 to 1861 were Abra-
ham Ten Broeck, 1792-98; Jeremiah Van Rensselaer, 1798-1806; Philip
S. Van Rensselaer, 1806-10; Dudley Walsh, 1810-14; John Van Schaick,
1814-30; Barent Bleecker, 1830-40; Jacob H. Ten Eyck, 1840-61.
During this period of seventy years there were only four cashiers,
namely: Garret W. Van Schwaick, 1793-1815; John Van Zandt, 1815-
33; Jellis Winne, jr., 1832-49; E. E. Kendrick, 1849-61.

This bank failed on May 11, 1861, at a time when the utmost con-
fidence was felt in the institution and $100 shares commanded $150 in
the market. It resulted from a combination of causes from which four
Albany banks failed in that year. Adam Van Allen was appointed
receiver of the bank and closed up its affairs.

Neiv York State Bank. — This institution owed its existence largely
to Elkanah Watson, and was incorporated and began business in 1803.
The original directors were: The State comptrofler, Elisha Jenkins,


John Tayler, Thomas Tillotson, Abraham G. Lansing, Peter Ganse-
voort, Elkanah Watson, John R. Bleecker, Francis Bloodgood, John
Robison, Gilbert Stewart, Jolm I)e Peyster Douw, Richard Lush and
Thomas Mather.

At a meeting of the directors on March 25, 1803, John Tayler was
chosen president, and John W. Yates, cashier. The bank began busi-
ness on September 7. Opposition to the incorporation of this bank
was very bitter, especially from the officials and prominent stockholders
in the Bank of Albany. The original capital was $400,000. It is at
the present time $250,000 and the surplus is an equal amount.

John Tayler continued president until his death in 1829. He was
succeeded by Francis Bloodgood, who died in 1840, the last survivor of
the original board of directors. Rufus H. King was elected president
in 1840 and remained as such until his death in 1867. He was suc-
ceeded by Gen. Franklin Townsend. J. Howard King was elected
president in 1879. John W. Yates died in 1828, and was succeeded as
cashier by his son, Richard Yates, whose successor was Aaron D.
Patchin. J. B. Plumb succeeded Mr. Patchin, who was succeeded by
John H. Van Antwerp. He was followed by D. W. Wemple. In 1850
the charter of the bank expired, when it closed up its business, paying
back to its stockholders their capital with a handsome surplus. Under
the same name, with new articles of association, and under the general
banking laws of the State, it commenced business on January 1, 1851.
Nearly all the old stockholders subscribed for equal amounts in the
new association. In 1849 the capital in this bank was reduced to
$:!69,000. The new bank began with a capital of $.350,000. In 1892
the bank gave back to stockholders fifty per cent, as an extra dividend.
The present cashier is Willis G. Nash, who took the position in 1888.
J. Howard King, president; J. H. Van Antwerp and Ledyard Cogs-
well, vice-presidents; John H. Van Antwerp, J. Howard King, Fred-
erick Townsend, James H. Pratt, Marcus T. Hun, Henry K. McHarg,
Ledyard Cogswell, William Bayard Van Rensselaer, Edward N. Mc-
Kinney, Nelson H. Salisbury, James Ten Eyck, J. Townsend Lansing
and Rufus H. King, directors.

Canal Bank. — This institution was incorporated in 1829, with a cap-
ital of $300,000. The first directors were John T. Norton, Jeremiah
Clark, Edward C. Delavan, Lyman Root, Israel Smith, John I. God-
frey, Aaron Thorpe, David Wood, Henry L. Webb, James Goold,
Alexander Marvin, Edwin Croswell, James Porter, Richard V. De Witt,
Lyman Chapin.


From 1829 to 1835 John T. Norton was president. John Keyes
Paige succeeded him, who a short time after was foHowed by Joseph
Russell. The last president was Robert Hunter. Theodore Olcott was
was the first and only cashier of this bank.

The failure of this bank in July, 1848, was memorable as the first
failure of a banking institution in Albany. It was closed by order of
the comptroller, and a commission appointed to examine into the affairs
of the bank. No irregularity was discovered.

Meclianics' and Farmers' Bank. — This institution was incorporated
March 4, 1811, and opened for business July 2i), 181 1. By the act of
incorporation, the following were named as directors: Samuel South-
wick, Benjamin Knower, Elisha Dorr, Isaac f)enniston, Benjamin \'an
Benthuysen, William Fowler, George Merchant, Thomas Livingston,
Giles W. Porter, Willard Walker, Walter Weed, Peter Boyd, Isaac
Hutton, Spencer Stafford and John Bryan. This bank was chartered
ostensibly for the benefit of the mechanics and farmers of Albany
county, and its charter provided that none but farmers and mechanics
should be elected as bank officers; but some years after, application
was made to the Legislature for an amendment to the charter, so as to
authorize the election of president and directors without reference to
the pursuits or employments in which they may have been engaged.

This bank was first located on the site of the post-office building.
It is a memorable fact and one that for a time created some uneasiness,
that the entire first board of directors were Democrats. It had been
understood that two Federalists would have a place on the board, and
a substitution was made a little later.

The first president was Solomon Southwick, who filled the office un-
til 1813, when he was succeeded by Isaac Hutton. Isaac Hutton was
succeeded by Benjamin Knower in 1817, who remained president until
1834, when financial embarrassments having caused his resignation, he
was succeeded by Charles E. Dudley as president pro tern.., February
3, 1834. At the election in June of this year, Ezra Ames was elected
president and Charles E. Dudley, vice-president. This seems to have
been the first vice-president ever elected by this bank. Ezra Ames
filled the office of president until 1836, when Thomas W. Olcott having
resigned the office of cashier, was elected president, which office he
held until his death in 1880. As a clerk, cashier and president Mr.
Thomas W. Olcott had been connected with the bank for the long pe-
riod of sixty-nine years, besidestwo or three years passed in the Colum-


bia Bank of Hudson, N. Y. , a period of time almost beyond parallel in
this country. At his death, in 1880, he was succeeded by his son
Dudley. There is no record of the election of a vice-president from
the date of the death of Charles E. Dudley in 1841, until 1844, when
Samuel S. Fowler was chosen. He was succeeded by William H. De
Witt, who held this office until January 1, 1853, the date of the expira-
tion of the charter of the old Mechanics' and Farmers' Bank. From
this period, until June, 1865, the bank had no vice-president, when Mr.
Thomas Olcott, resigning the position of cashier, was elected vice-
president, which office he held until his death in 1873. From this date
until January 1, 1879, there was no election of vice-president, when
Dudley Olcott having resigned as cashier was elected to that otfice.
He held it until March, 1880, when he was succeeded by John J. Ol-
cott, who now holds the position.

Gorham A. Worth was the first cashier, which position he held until
1817, when he resigned to accept the position of cashier of the Branch
Bank of the United States, at Cincinnati, Ohio Thomas W. Olcott
was appointed to the vacancy and held the position until June 7, 183G,
when he was succeeded by E. E. Kendrick. E. E. Kendrick held the
office until February 23, 1849, when he was succeeded by Thomas Ol-
cott, who resigned the position in June, 1865. Dudley Olcott was his
successor in the office, until January 1, 1879, when he was succeeded
by George G. Davidson. At the time of the appointment of Thomas
W. Olcott as cashier, in 1817, the bank's capital had become impaired,
owing to the financial troubles growing out of the depression following
the close of the last war with Great Britain ; but from this date, the
financial history of the bank has been one of unvarying prosperity.

At the expiration of the charter of the old bank January 1, 1853, the
stockholders received about 115 per cent., besides their stock in the
new bank, which was $350,000. The first charter expired in 1833 and
was renewed for twenty years. At the expiration of the second charter,
1853, the bank closed its affairs, dividing its surplus, and went into
operation again with the same officers. During the war of the Rebel-
lion it again wound up its affairs, and went under the national bank
system; this was abandoned in 1868. Thomas W. Olcott, to whom must
be credited a large share of the success of this institution, is by general
consent acknowledged to have been the great banker of Albany.

The present capital of this bank is $250,000, and it has a surplus of
nearly a million dollars.

National Coiinncrcial Bank. — A bill for the incorporation of the Com-
mercial Bank of Albany was passed by the vSenate of the State of New
York on March 30, 1825, and by the Assembly on April 8, 1825, and
became a law by the signature of Governor De Witt Clinton on April
12, 1825. The following were named as commissioners in the bill, and
constituted the first board of directors: Willard Walker, Joshua Tuffs,
George W. Stanton, Lewis Benedict, William Cook, David E. Gregory,
Seth Hastings, Ira Jenkins, Joseph Alexander, Robert Gilchrist, Rich-
ard Marvin, John Townsend, Asa H. Center.

The directors of the bank were for a time enjoined from opening on
account of the dissatisfaction of the subscribers with the distribution
of the capital stock, but August 29, 1836, the chancellor decided that
the bank might go into operation so far as to issue bills and discount
notes, but prohibited any transfer of stock, or making any loan or
pledges on stock. A meeting of the board of directors was held at
Knickerbocker Hall on the evening of May 23, 1826, at which all the
directors, with the exception of William Cook were present. At this
meeting the board was organized and Joseph Alexander- was elected
president. On July 13, 1826, Henry Bartow was appointed cashier.

The bank began bufiiness September 5, 1826, with a capital of $300,-
000, and continued until the expiration of its charter on July 1, 1845,
and under an extension of its charter until July 1, 1847, when it was
reorganized under the general banking law of the State. On May 31,
1865, the bank was chartered under the act of Congress as a national
institution, and was reorganized and began business under that act Au-
gust 1, 1865. It continued under this charter for twenty years, until
May 31, 1885, when an extension of the charter was granted to May 31,
1905. The capital stock was increased to $500,000 February 1, 1855,
and on June 10, 1875, was reduced to $300,000, in shares of $100 each,
the amount of the reduction being paid to the stockholders. On Jan-
uary 13, 1880, the number of directors was reduced to nine, and on
September 10, 1887, the number was again changed, so that it should
not be less than five nor more than fifteen.

Mr. Alexander was succeeded in the office of president by the follow-
inu- persons, who were elected at the dates given: John Townsend,
June 7, 1832; John L. Schoolcraft, August 31, 1854; Ezra P. Prentice,
June 13, 1860; Robert H. Pruyn, November 24, 1875; Daniel Manning,
March 4, 1882; Robert C. Pruyn, May 23, 1885.

Vice-presidents: Seth Hastings, June 18, 1836; John L. Schoolcraft,


October 28, 1839 ; Andrew White, June 16, 1855. The death of Andrew
White, in 1857, made a vacancy until the election of Robert H Pruyn,
November 2, 1872; Robert L. Johnson, November 24, 1875; Daniel
Manning, April 9, 1881; Robert C. Pruyn, March 4, 1882; Nathan B.
Perry, November 20, 1885; Grange Sard, April 11, 1890.

The following cashiers have been appointed: Henry Bartow, July 13,
1826; James Taylor, October21, 1835; Andrew White, March 17, 1854;
Powers L. Green, June 16, 1855; Visscher Ten Eyck, July 7, 1858;
Eliphalet Wickes, August 11, 1863; James Martin, February 24, 1866;
Edward A. Groesbeck, April 30, 1873.

Assistant cashiers: James Martin, August 11, 1862; Edward A.
Groesbeck, November 2, 1872; Edward J. Hussey, December 1, 1891.

The present board of directors : Abraham Lansing, Simon W. Rosen-
dale, Robert C. Pruyn, Grange Sard, Robert L. Fryer, James H. Man-
ning, Hamilton Harris, Horace G. Young, Anthony N. Brady, Charles
Tracey, William H. Weaver, William J. Walker. This bank has been
the depositary of the State of New York for nearly si.xty years.

Albany City National Bank. — This staunch institution was organized
as the Albany City Bank April 30, 1834, with capital of $500,000. It
began business on October 1, of that year, with Erastus Corning, presi-
dent; Samuel S. Fowler, vice-president; Watts Sherman, cashier.
Charles L. Garfield was appointed clerk in October, 1836 ; in June, 1837, '
he was appointed teller in place of Moses B. Wright, and held that po-
sition many years. In 1840 the bank purchased from Joel Rathbone
his store at 47 State street, and converted it into a bank building.
Watts Sherman continued cashier until 1847, when his health failed
and he was given a vacation in Europe, Henry L. Lansing taking the
position in his absence. In October, 1850, John V. L. Pruyn was
elected vice-president. In July, 1851, Mr. Sherman resigned as cashier
and Henry H, Martin was elected to the position. The charter of this
bank expired January 1, 1864, and it was immediately reorganized
under the National Banking Laws with the same officers and capital.
The stockholders were then paid eighty per cent, in addition to their
regular dividends, and the sum of $90,000 of the undivided profits of
the old bank was carried as a surplus fund of the new one. On June
1, 1885, the charter of the bank was renewed with its present title. In
December, 1870, Mr. Martin resigned as cashier and Amos P. Palmer
was selected as his successor. Erastus Corning died in April, 1872,
and was succeeded as president by his son, Erastus, who still holds the


office. Father and son have served the bank in the capacity of presi-
dent for a period of sixtj^-three years up to the present date (1897). In
March, 1873, work was begun on a new bank building on the same site,
and it was occupied in June, 1874 In February of that year the direc-
tors reduced the capital of the bank to $300,000. In November, 1877,
John V. L. Pruyn, one of the oldest officers of the bank, died and Eli
Perry was elected vice-president in his place. Upon the death of Mr.
Perry George H. Thacher succeeded to the office of vice-president, and
after his death his son, George H. Thacher, was elected in his stead.
The present officers are Erastus Corning, president ; George H. Thacher

Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 37 of 138)