tal in the development and upbuilding of that part of the city.
November 19, 1859, he married, in England, Jane Bell, of Preston, Lancasliire,
Eng., who has borne hmi six children, but two of whom are living: Elizabeth and
FRANCIS H. WOODS.
Hon. Francis H. Woods was born in Albany, his parents emigrating here from
county Longford. Ireland, early in the present century. He received his education
at Capt. Michael O Sullivan's school and the Albany Boj-s' Academy, where he won
the principal's prize for his essay on " Mahomet." He soon began to take an active
part in the public duties of life and while a delegate from Engine Company No. 11,
was elected president of the Albany fire department in 1865 and by his prudent
management secured the stability of the relief fund. In 1865 he was admitted to
the bar, having studied in the office of Warren S. Kelly and subsequently going into
partnership with ex-Judge James A. McKown.
His political career began in 1867, when he was elected to the Assembly by a
hand.some majority and served with credit on the committee on judiciary. In 1873
he was elected a justice of the Justice's Court, to fill the vacancy caused by the death
of Dennis B. Gaffney. He was again elected for a full term by 3,000 majority and
again for a third term without opposition, 5,000 Republican ballots being cast for
him. After an honorable and impartial career, Mr. Woods retired from the Justice s
Court in 1883. On this occasion many members of the bar united in presenting him
with a handsomely engrossed testimonial.
In the fall of 1883 he was unanimously nominated by his party for the office of sur-
rogate and was elected by a commanding majority. He discharged the duties of
that office for the full term of six years with credit to himself and satisfaction to the
public. On his retirement every newspaper in the county made him the subject of
a laudatory editorial notice, commending him for his industry, courtesy, learning
The period of Mr. Woods's incumbency as surrogate is the brightest chapter in his
career, as it is one of the most honorable and creditable in the county history. In
1890 he served as a member of the State commission appointed by Governor Hill to
revise th6 judiciary article of the constitution. He is now serving as postmaster of
the city of Albany and has shown a progressive spirit in the management of that
oHice. where his unusual executive ability finds a good field of display. His appoint-