Copyright
Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 83 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 83 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


schools and at the age of eleven years was apprenticed to W. H. Slingerland & Sons,
civil engineers, with whom he remained eighteen years and in addition carried on
quite extensively the real estate and insurance business. August 1, 1896, he went
with the Albany, Helderberg and Schoharie Railroad, with whom he is at present.
He is secretary of Co. D, 10th Battalion, N. G. N. Y., and was for three years
financial and corresponding secretary of the Capital City Club and is at present. In
1895 he represented the Capital City Club at the convention of the National League
of Republican Clubs at Cleveland, Ohio, as delegate. He is at present orator
of Germania Council No. 110, C. B. L., recordmg secretary of the City Club and
president of the Young Men's Society of the Holy Cross church and was the organ-
izer of that body. He has been for four years the Republican president of the Third
district of the Second ward, and at the last primary was re-elected by a vote ot 64 to
25. He is also a prominent member of the Republican League. That he is prom-
inent among the young men is assured by the great esteem he is held in and in
society he is a. prominent figure. Invit.itions are refused owing to the surplus of
meetings.



Burdick G. Dudley, son of G. W. and Mary Elizabeth (Van Antwerp) Burdick, was
l)orn in Albany, July 19, 1842. He was educated in the public schools and learned
the trade of mason, which he followed until 1878, when he engaged in his present
business of contractor and builder. He built the Tweddle Building, the Dudley Ob-
servatory, the Albany Safe Deposit and Storage Building, the Madison Avenue
Presbyterian church and Wolferfs Roost and many other notable structures. Mr.
Burdick is a member of Wadsworth Lodge No. 417, F. & A. M. and of the board of
deacons of the State Street Presbyterian church. He served seven years in the old
volunteer iire department and in Co. B, 10th Regiment, N. Y. N. G. December 26,
1876, he married Emma Havard, daughter of John Havard of Brooklyn, N. Y. , who
died November 24, 1881, leaving a son and daughter, Clarke Havard and Mary
Louise. Clarke Havard died March 6, 1883. October 10, 1884, he married Juliette,
daughter of Epraim Hotaling, of Albany, N. Y.

Wands, John B., was born in the town of New Scotland, N. Y., June 13, 1833. The
first of the Wands to come to America were two cousins, James and John Wands;
they were Scotch Highlanders, and were weavers by trade. They enlisted in the
English army and came to Canada to take part in the French and English war
(1754 to 1762), having enlisted as volunteers for three months; they served their
time, and upon their discharge started as pioneers through the woods of New York
State, toward Albany, and finally located in what is now New Scotland; their settle-
ment dates about 1763. Ebenezer Wands, the grandfather of our subject, was
another of these hardy Scotch pioneers ; he was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and was
also a weaver by trade; he was a cousin of James and John, who had preceded him
a few years to America; he married Mary Ann Miller, and came to America imme-
rliately after, probably about 1780, and settled on a tract of land, about 400 acres,
which he purchased for two dollars per acre, and began clearing him a home, and
jilied his trade winters. He reared eight sons and three daughters; the sons all be-
came tradesmen, some blacksmiths, wagonraakers, carpenters, weavers, etc., and
among them they grew and manufactured everything needed on the farm. He died
when eighty eight years of age. Benjamin Wands, father of our subject and the
fourth son of his father's children, was born in New Scotland in 1797. He learned
the weaver's trade from his father; he afterward became a farmer, owning a farm of
si.xty acres, which he operated, and plied his trade winters. In politics he was first
a Whig, later a Republican, and, though not an aspirant to public office, he mani-
fested an active interest in the electing of his party ticket. His wife was Margaret
Wands, who was born in New Scotland in 1797, daughter of James 2, who was the
son of James 1, the pioneer; they reared five sons and five daughters. He died in
1865 and his wife in 1873. John B. Wands worked on his father's farm until he was
seventeen years of age, when he went to Albany and engaged as cartnian, which
position he occupied for five years; he then accepted a position as porter in a whole-
sale grocery store, where he remained six years, and in 1864 engaged with Mather
Bros., as shipper in their wholesale grocery; he remained with them over twenty-
four years, when, on account of failing health, he was obliged to resign his position.
In 1888 he moved to Voorheesville, where he engaged in the retail general mercantile
business, and where he has since remained. Mr. Wands is a Republican in politics.
He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Wadsworth Lodge, Albany, in which he



28

often officiated. He is also a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity, American Lodge,
No. 33, of which he is past noble grand, and was also on the di.strict grand commit-
tee for years. In addition to his other interests Mr. Wands has been for a number
of years interested in the manufacture of soap in Kingston, N. Y. In ISS.t he mar-
ried Sarah J. Drew, of Albany, daughter of Robert and Sarah Drew, natives of
London, England, by whom he had three children: Emma, wife of Slater Swift, of
New Scotland ; Grace, wife of Carey Martin ; and Robert B. Wands.

Lord, Edmund J., was born in Lancashire, England, in 1820. At an early age he
came to America and settled in Albany, where he engaged as a clerk in a grocery
store, winning the respect of his employer by constant attention to business and
those traits which foretold his later success. After years of hard work, in which
pluck, perseverance and rigid economy played active parts, he succeeded in saving
sufficient money to start the business with which he has been identified, and in 1841
established a grocery on the northeast corner of Washington avenue and Hawk
street, opposite where the capitol now stands. Possessed of unusual business qual-
ifications, it was not surprising that the work which he had begun on a small scale,
should, in the course of a comparatively few years, increase to such a degree as to
prove highly profitable and remunerative. In 1870 he moved to larger and more
commodious quarters at the northwest corner of Washington avenue and Hawk
street, where he continued in business until his death, September 22, 189.5. The
business since then has been conducted by his son, Edmund W. Lord, who inherits
much of his father's business ability. In the constant rush and excitement attend-
ant upon a business life, Mr. Lord never forgot the important duties to be performed
in his home, and it was there the amiable disposition and kind heart were ever mani-
fest. He was a devoted Presbyterian and while he loved his Creator and served
Him as best he could, he did not neglect to practice that charity without which there
can be little religious sincerity. He was also a member of the St. George Benev-
olent Society and several fraternal organizations. As a citizen, Mr. Lord was
highly esteemed and respected. A Republican in principle, he stood ever ready to
give his undivided and active support to his party when the exigencies of the hour
demanded.

Hendrickson, Howard, was born in Albany, November 20, 1859, and is the son of
the late Jacob Hendrickson, who for many years kept a large wholesale grocery on
the dock and died in July, 1879. Mr. Hendrickson was educated in the public
schools of Albany and subsequently entered a job printing office, where he worked
for three years. .He then entered the law office of S. W. Whitmore, meantime tak-
ing a course of lectures at the Albany Law School, from which he was graduated
May 25, 1882, being immediately admitted to the bar by the General Term of the
Supreme Court. Opening a law office he commenced the active practice of his pro-
fession, which is varied and extensive. In 189.5 he was elected alderman of the Six-
teenth ward and during that year served as president of the Common Council,
receiving the largest majority ever given a candidate in that ward. In politics he is
an influential Republican. He was the organizer of the Commercial Union Co-
operative Bank and at present is its attorney and a member of the board of man-
agers. He is the owner of considerable Albany real estate. He is a member of
Wadsworth Lodge No. 417, F. & A. M., and has passed through all its chairs. He is



a member of Capital City Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, De Witt Clinton Council
of Royal Select Masons, Temple Conimandery No. 2, K. T. , and of Cypress Temple,
Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; he is also a member of Will-
iam Lacy Lodge No. 93, I. O. C). F.

Geer, Robert, son of James L. and Prudence Almira (Gallup) Geer, was born m
Norwich, Conn., March 23, 1837. His mother died in 1847. His father was a
cabinetmaker, a builder, and later was engaged in the aviction and commission busi-
ness. About 1873 he retired and now lives in Norwich. Mr. Geer received a public
school education ; when fifteen he became a clerk in a drug store in Norwich, and
three years later its owner. In 1861 he removed the stock to Syracuse. N. Y., and
m 1864 sold out. April 20, 1864, he came to Albany as the local representative of the
Salt Company of Onondaga, whose business he has managed ever since, becoming
proprietor in 1871. In 1879 he also engaged in the flour and feed trade with Chester
F. Bouton, as Bouton & Geer, and continued until Mr. Bouton's death in 1886. Three
years later he discontinued this business. In 1892 he formed the Robert Geer Salt
company, incorporated, and has since carried on the old salt business under that
name as vice-president and manager. Mr. Geer has been prominently identified
with several enterprises. He has been a trustee of the Home Savings Bank since
1884 and president of the Homestead Savings and Loan Association since its organ-
ization in 1888. A Republican in politics, he was supervisor of the Fourteenth ward
of Albany from 1880 to 1886, was candidate for member of assembly in 1885, but
withdrew because of a split in the party, and was candidate for senator in
1886. but was defeated by Hon. Amasa J. Parker, although he ran ahead of
his ticket. He is a member of Temple Lodge No. 14, F. & A. M., Capital City
Chapter No. 242, R. A. M., De Witt Clinton Council No. 22, R. & S. M., Tem-
ple Conimandery No. 2, K. T., Cypress Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., and all the Scot-
tish Rite bodies 32°. He is a trustee of the Y. M. C. A., a member and for four
years master workman of Capital City Lodge, A. O. U. W., senior vestryman of
St. Paul's church, for fifteep j-ears treasurer and trustee of the Albany Hospital for
Incurables, and for the past ten years secretary of the Board of Albany Pier Pro-
prietors. In October, 1860, he married Mary Sophia, daughter of William Gere of
Syracuse, who died in 1886, leaving two children: Frederick Lewis and Clara Lovisa.
In October, 1869, he married, second, Rhoda Kellogg Shedd. daughter of Ephraim
Shedd of Jordan, N, Y. She died in December, 1882, leaving one son, Arthur Ham-
ilton. In April, 1884, Mr. Geer married, third, Julia, daughter of Henry Richmond
of Albany.

Flanders, George Lovell. son of Arthur and Mary (Lovell) Flanders, was born in
the town of Parishville, St. Lawrence county, February 29, 1856. He received his
education in the Potsdam Normal School and during the years of 1881 and 1882 he
was a teacher in the Madrid Union School. He studied law in the ofifice of Parker &
Mclntyre in Potsdam, and later was graduated from the Albany Law School and
admitted to the bar and to practice in the United States Circuit Court. In the fall
of 1883 he removed to Albany and in May, 1884, was appointed assistant state dairy
commissioner, at the time of the creation of the department. The title of his office
. has since been changed to that of assistant commi.ssioner of agriculture, an office
which he has retained under every commissioner appointed. Mr. Flanders was one



of the first to advocate the creation of the department. He is a member of Ancient
City Lodge, F. & A. M., and of the Royal Arcanum. In April, 1885, he married
Catharine Soiithwick, daughter of Wilham Keeler, of Albany, and they have two
daughters : Lillian Lovell and Marian Southwick.

Friend, Charles M., was born in Albany, November 10, 1869, and is a son of
Meyer and Caroline (Goodman) Friend. Meyer Friend, born in Saxemeinegen,
Saxony, Germany, December 4, 1809, came to Albany about 1838, among the first
Jewish settlers and died here in 1890. He was a jeweler, one of the organizers, vice-
president and trustee of the old Jewish synagogue and a prominent citizen among
his race. He had eight children, the younjjer being the subject of this sketch.
Charles M. was graduated from the Albany High School in 1888, read law with and
became managing clerk for Eaton &- Kirchwey, attended the Albany Law School
and was admitted to the bar at Saratoga in 1891. He remained with his preceptors
until January, 1893, when he was made assistant to the second deputy under Attor-
ney-General Simon W. Rosendale, a position he held until December 81, 1898. He
was then associated with Hon. James M. Eaton, district attorney of Albany county,
until March, 1895, when he opened an office for himself. He is an active Democrat,
a member of the Albany Democratic club, secretary of the Adelphi Club, president
of Gideon Lodge, No. 140, L O. B. B., a member of Capital City Lodge, No. 440, I.
O. O. F. , and treasurer of Beth Emeth Sunday School. In 1896 he was appointed
special law examiner in the civil service department of the State of New York.

North, Howard C, has been a railroad man since he was twenty-four years old,
and has steadily climbed the ladder of advancement. He entered the service of the
New York & Oswego Midland, now the Ontario & Western, as clerk and telegrapher
in 1874, and in 1875 came to Green Island as an operator for the Delaware &■ Hud-
son Canal Company. In 1880 he was appointed assistant train dispatcher, and in
1883 chief dispatcher. In 1887, after acting as agent in Green Island for about a
year, he was appointed assistant superintendent of Saratoga & Champlain division,
the important position he now so acceptably fills after a quarter of a century asso-
ciation with the company. He was born at Guilford, N. Y.. July 4, 18.12. He was
the son of Erastus B. North, of old English ancestry.

Wiswall. — Among the old families of the town of Colonie, few have been longer
or more favorably known, or more associated with the business and social life of the
locality than Ebenezer Wiswall sr., and his sons Ebenezer Wiswall, jr., and John
Parker Wiswall. Of puritan stock Ebenezer Wiswall, sr., came from Boston about
1810 and became a member of the Farm Companies of South Troy, West Troy, and
Cohoes; his connection with which for nearly fifty years gave him the wide ac-
([uaintance with the business men of his time which his descendants still enjoy.
John Parker Wiswall, who died in 1875, the father of Edward H. Wiswall of the
present time, married Sarah Mark, a member of another old English family in
Watervliet. His widow is still living with a married daughter at the old homestead.

Tupper, Horace D., one of the most estimable, enterprising and public spirited
citizens of the town of Colonie. Mr. Tupper's .surroundings at his place of business,
at the junction of the two canals above West Troy, attest something of his energy
and originality. He was born at Gler.s Falls, September 20, 1844, and l)y the death



31

of his father, wheu yet a little buy, was thrown very early upon his own resources, to
which event perhaps must be ascribed some of his rugged and indomitable charac
ter. In his early years of manhood, he followed boating on the canals, and is still
largely interested in that line of business, but his interests are multiplied. He
operates two saw-mills, two large farms, a brick yard, and the " Crescent" drydock,
lieside timbered lands near Lake George and a line of boats, employing 10.5 men,
also two large wholesale ice houses, one on Mohawk Basin and one at Crescent. In
the midst of all these bustling, exacting interests, Mr. Tupper has found time for
much in the way of practical benevolence.

Mills, Charles H., son of Borden H. and Harriet N. (Hood) Mills, was born in
Knowlesville, Orleans county, N. Y., June 31, 1851, and moved with his parents to
Albany in 1857. Borden H. Mills was a member of the wholesale flour nrm of Mills
& McMartin, on Broadway, and died here in 1873. He was a prominent Republican
leader and alderman of the Tenth ward. Charles H. Mills attended the Albany High
School, was graduated from Union College in 1872, and read law with John M.
Carroll, of Johnstown, N. Y., and was graduated from the Albany Law School and
admitted to the bar in 1873. He practiced in Johnstown until 1875, and since then
in Albany, being since 1889 senior member of the law firm of Mills &• Bridge (Charles
F. Bridge). He is a Republican, was president of the Albany Board of Excise in
1895. This board raised the license from sixty dollars to §300, and thereby increased
the city's income from licenses from §47,000 to §114,000. He was president of the
Y. M. C. A. two terras, 1883-84, when funds were raised for the present building,
and during this period was interested in liquidating the old debt and in creating a
large surplus for the association, which he has served as a director since 1882, being
now the oldest member of the board. He is the editor and author of several law
books, a member of the Temple Lodge No. 14, F. & A. M., and Capital City Chapter.
No. 242, R. A. M., and a member of the Sons of the Revolution, through his great-
grandfather, George Mills, who served under Arnold, was captured at Quebec and
after six months a prisoner was exchanged, was one of the guard at the execution
of Major Andre, and was with Sullivan through the New Jersey campaign and for
two years United States pensioner.

Macfarlane, William D., son of Robert, was born in Brooklyn, N. Y.. June8, 1853.
Robert Macfarlane, born in Rutherglen, Scotland, came to America in 1835 and died
in Brooklyn, December 20, 1883. He was originally a dyer, but later was senior
editor of the Scientific American for over .seventeen years. In 1864 he came to Al-
bany and bought of Mrs. John McDuft'y, the old Albany Dye Works, which he con-
tinued until 1874, when he returned to Brooklyn. He was prominent in Albany as
a Scotchman, was president of the Burns Club and St. Andrews Society, and a mem-
ber of the 1. O. O. F. and Albany Institute. William D. Macfarlane was graduated
from the Albany Boys' Academy in 1872, afterwards learned the business of dyer
with his father, and in 1874. with his brother, Robert F., succeeded to the proprietor-
ship of the old Albany Dye Works at No. 24 Norton street. This was the first dye
house in Albany, being established by Peter Martin in 1823. Robert F. Macfarlane
withdrew in 1891 and since then William has continued the business alone. He has
about twenty-three branches, of which all but three are located outside the city. He
is a member of St. Andrews Societv, the Burns Club, and was for .seventeen vears a



member of the Albany Burgesses Corps, is now and has been a director of the Albany
Musical Association since its reorganization in 1891, also a member of the Uncon-
ditional Club. He is married and has a family of three children two sons and one
daughter.

L\indergan, John, is one of the most respected and oldest residents of the locality.
The trite saying. " that he is a .self made man," became invested with fresh signifi-
cance, when applied to Mr. Lundergan. He was born in Ireland, March 16, 1831,
and came to America when four years of age. In 1832, after the death of his mother,
at Montreal, he came to the vicinity of Albany, and has lived here for sixty-four
years. He began life in the most humble way as a farm hand, but was very frugal
and had no, bad habits. He was enabled to rent a small tract of land and became
his own master in 1845. In 1848 he went to California via Cape Horn, and returned
via the isthmus. Here he obtained the nucleus of his present considerable fortune,
and soon began to purchase additionals to his original homestead. His most recent
acquisition was the extensive fair grounds situated opposite his home, on the Troy
road. Mr. Lundergan devoted his time to the business, which has occupied most of
his long and useful life, that of extensive market gardening. His youn.gest son,
Frank, is a di-y goods merchant, at New York city. His oldest son. Adrian, man-
ages home affairs. Mr. Lundergan is held in the highest esteem wherever he is
known.

Hobbs, Edward A., sou of David and Abigail (Pratt) Hobbs, was born in the town
of Charlton, Mass., August 15, 1838. Mr. Hobbs's ancestors came to America from
England in the early part of the eighteenth century and located m Massachusetts.
His grandfather. Joseph Pratt, was the captain of a Massachu.setts company in the
war of 1812. Mr. Hobbs attended the Troy Conference Academy at Poultney, \'t.,
in the winter of 1857, and afterward attended the State Normal School for one term.
For three winters he taught school in Columbia county, and in May, 1861, removed
to Albany, N. Y.. where he was for nine years engaged in the grocery business at
No. 5 Clinton avenue, the firm name being Hobbs & Bedell. He then moved to No.
7 Clinton avenue, where he was also located nine years, from 1870 to 1879. For four
years he was in partnership with Frank Van Salisbury. Since 1874 Mr. Hobbs has
been engaged in the grocery business alone. In the fall of 1878 Mr. Hobbs bought
the property on the corner of North Pearl street and Clinton avenue and in 1879 he
occupied it and has ever since been located there. He is an active member of the
Fourth Presbyterian church and on May 13, 1889, was elected an elder and has held
the ofhce ever since. He was elected a tru.stee in 1884, 1887, 1890, 1893 and 1896.
October 21, 1862, he married Celestia A., daughter of Palmer Miller of Schodack,
N. Y.

Grady, Thomas G.. is one of the leading merchants of West Troy. In 1881 he
first began the merchant tailor business here, where he has since carried on a large
enterprise. In 1886 he opened a new store, which has advanced his interest in a
most satisfactory manner. He was born in Cincinnati, O.. in 1859, and is a son of
John A. Grady, a hotel keeper, now of Toronto. At the age of sixteen he learned
the tailor's trade at Xenia, O. Mr. Grady is collector of the Society of Royal Arca-
num and enjoys wide popularity among his fellowmen.



33

Gallien, Henry, son of Henry and Eliza M. (George) Gallien, was born in Albany,
N. Y., December 3, 1861. His father was born on the Isle of Guernsey and when
sixteen years of age came to America and located in Albany, where for thirty years
he was in the canal department and State comptroller's office, and for the last fifteen
years that he was there held the offices of second deputy and deputy, holding the
latter office at the time of his death in 1883. Henry Galhen was educated in the
Boys' Academy, State Normal School, Public School No. 11 and the Albany High
School, after which he was for a time in C. H. Van Benthuysen's paper warehouse.
Subsequently he went to the Albany County Bank and the National Commercial Bank,
where he remained eight years, and later was teller at the Park Bank of Albany for
two years. From the Park Bank he went to the Exchange Bank, where be held the
position of teller for three years, and left in 1894, to engage in business with his
brother, E. J. Gallien, dealing in investment securities, with whom he remained one
year. Then after a few months' experience as an expert accountant he was ap-
pointed by Commissioner Lyman, in April, 1896, auditor of the State Excise De-
partment. Mr. Gallien is a member of Ridgefield Athletic Club, of which he is a
trustee, and has held the office of secretary for three years. He was for one term
financial secretary of the Albany Bicycle Club and organized the Albany County
Wheelmen. He held the office of secretary and treasurer of the organization and
subsequently held the offices of president and captain. He represented the Albany
Bicycle Club and the Albany County 'Wheelmen for several years in the National
Assembly, L. A. 'W., and is a member of the auditing committee of that body. For
two years he has been treasurer of the Albany Press Club and is a director and



Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 83 of 138)