Copyright
Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 84 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 84 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


member of the Albany Musical Association. Mr. Gallien is also a Mason, being a
member of Masters Lodge No. 5, F. & A. M.

Blair, Elmer, son of Robert S. and Jane E. (Steen) Blair, was born in Fort Hun-
ter, N. Y., May 13, 1862. He was graduated from the Cobleskill Academy in 1881,
when he removed to Albany to continue his studies, where he became an expert
stenographer. After a short time spent in the office of M. 'V. B. Bull, he entered
the service of the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company as stenographer, and sub-
sequently became confidential clerk to Dudley Farlin and H. S. Marcy, general
freight agent and traffic manager, respectively, of that company. He held this
position for five years, when he became the private secretary of Dudley Farhn, hav-
ing charge of the private interests of that gentleman, vphich embraced operations
on a large scale in the Lima, O., oil fields, and the developing of the electric light-
ing business in various parts of this State. During this time Mr. Blair personally
established and installed the electric lighting plants of Norwich and Cooperstown,
N. v., and became the treasurer and general manager of the corporation in each of
those places which controlled its gas artd electric lighting facilities. LTpon the re-
tirement of Mr. Farlin from active business, Mr. Blair accepted a position, in 1893,
with the Adirondack and St. Lawrence Railroad Company, having charge, under
Chief Engineer William N. Roberts, of the business department of the construction
force of that road, and upon its completion he became the private secretary to Ed-
ward M. Burns, its general manager, and later his confidential agent, having
charge of Dr. William Seward Webb's Adirondack camp site properties, until Jan-
uary 1, 1895. Mr. Blau- then turned his attention to the study of law and removed



34

to Rochester, N. Y., where he read law in the office of Harris & Harris and prac-
ticed stenography in the courts until the following September, when he returned to
Albany and became the private secrerary of Col. William Gary Sanger, member of
assembly from the Second Oneida district. He continued in Colonel Sanger's em-
ploy during the legislative .session of 1896, and after the passage of the liquor tax
law was appointed chief stenographer to the State Department of Excise. Mr.
Blair was treasurer of the Young Men's Association of Albany in 1888, collecting
during his incumbency the §100,000 building fund for Harmanus Bleecker Hail. On
the expiration of his term as treasurer he was elected manager of the association
for three years. He is a member of Wadsworth Lodge No. 417, F. & A. M. ; Tem-
ple Chapter. R. A. M. ; De Witt Clinton Council, R. & S. M. ; Little Falls Com-
mandery; Ziyara Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., of Utica; and Mount Herman Lodge,
I. O. O. F., of Albany. On October 22, 1895, he married Ella L. Holliday of
Oneida, N. Y.

Jewett, Frederick G., son of Harry and Loraine (Goodsell) Jewett, was born in
Owego, Tioga county. New York, in 1846. His ancestors on both sides were from
New England, though his father was born in Putnam county, and his grandfather
and great-grandfather in Dutchess county, New York, the latter (John) having been
a Revolutionary soldier. Frederick was educated in the public .schools and at the
Owego Academy. His first employment after leaving school was in the Owego
post-office, which position he left to accept one on the United States Military Rail-
roads m 1864. At the close of the war he accepted service with what was then the
Atlantic and Great Western Railway, now a part of the Erie system, where he re-
mained in various capacities until 1883 ; residing the greater portion of the time at
Jamestown, N. Y. Having been engaged in railroad work in Ohio in the mean
time, he went to Syracuse, N. Y., in 1890 as manager of the Central New York Car
Service Association which was organized by the railroads of the State at that time,
and in 1893 came to Albany, the offices of the association having'been removed here
in September of that year. He is a member of various Masonic bodies ; the A. A.
O. M. S., and of other fraternal organizations. Mr. Jewett married Lucy, a daugh-
ter of Doctor David and lyouisa (Ransom) Earll of Tioga county. New York, Mrs.
Jewett being a descendant of Samuel Ransom, a captain in the Continental Army,
who was killed at the massacre of Wyoming, Pa., July 3, 1778.

Sanders, Eugene, son of David I?, and Elizabeth (Bennis) Sanders, was born in
Fort Edward, N. Y., February 8, 1864, and received his education in his native vil-
lage. In 1889 he came to Albany as traveling salesman for Rogers & Ruso, dealers
in typewriters and supplies, and two years later engaged in that business for him-
self, continuing until the spring of 1894. In 1893 he also engaged in the bicycle and
supply trade, and since 1894 has given this his whole attention, handling a number
of high grade wheels. He is a member of Temple Lodge, No. 14, F. & A. M., the
Ridgefield Athletic Club and the Albany County Wheelmen. In October, 1890, he
married Clara R., daughter of Oramel E. Bostwick of Stillwater, N. Y.

McHench, David B.. born September 21, 1826, in Albany, is the only son of Will-
iam McHench, born in Hudson, N. Y., in 1789, died in Albany in 1873. WiUiara
and his brother ran a grist mill for some years at Kenwood, afterward was connected
with the Mechanics' & Farmers' Bank for forty-two years. He married Margaret



35

Boyd of Schenectady, daughter of David Boyd, the first president of the Mohawk
Bank and was president until his death in 1834. Four children are now living.
David B. McHench, attended the Albany Academy, and when nineteen became a
clerk in a wholesale dry goods house in his native city. Ten years later he entered
the office of a stove foundry and remained about nine years, and for fourteen years
afterward was bookkeeper for a charcoal blast furnace at Richmond, Mass. In
1877 he returned to Albany and shortly afterward established his present business,
paper box manufacturing. He is one of the oldest and best known paper bo.x man-
ufacturers in the city. In 1857 he married Sarah E. , daughter of the late Charles
Dillon of Albany, the first manufacturer of fire brick in the State, and they have had
two daughters, Laura (Mrs. Franklin H. Jones also of Albany) and Margaret Boyd,
deceased.

Ellis, Joseph, Whitcomb, son of Jeremiah and Hannah (Whitcomb) Ellis, was born
in Springfield, Vt., September 18, 1839. His ancestors were English and lived in the
vicinity of Boston, Mass. He began his school education early and at four years of
age was a pupil in a family boarding school in Perkinsville, Vt. He completed his
preparation for college at the Wesleyan Seminary in Springfield, Vt., and was gradu-
ated from Wesleyan University, Middletown, Conn., in 1858, ranking first in mathe-
matics. He was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society and three years later re-
ceived the degree of M. A. After his graduation he engaged in teaching and soon
acquired a reputation as a superior teacher of mathematics. For thirty-five years he
has been teaching continuously in the educational institutions of the State of New
York. He taught in the seminaries at Fairfield, Oneida, Whitestown and in Cook
Academy at Havana, N. Y. (now Montour Falls). While at the latter place he was
appointed examiner of mathematics and science in the New York State Board
of Regents at Albany, N. Y., which position he still holds. Professor Ellis is a mem-
ber of the Alpha Delta Phi Fraternity. February 5, 1863, he married Philena J.
Knox of Knoxboro, Oneida county, N. Y. They have had three children, Mary, now
on the staff of the New York State Library, J. William, a lawyer in Buffalo, and
Clara.

Dwight, Harvey Lyman, son of Harvey A. and Mary I. (Burton) Dwight, was
born in Albany. N. Y., September 14, 1871. He is descended from an old line of
ancestors, the first of whom in this country being one of the settlers of Dedhani,
Mass., in 1634. Mr. Dwight received his education in the Albany Academy and was
graduated from that institution in 1888. He then entered into business with bis
father at No. 117 Pier, Albany, where he is now employed. December 5, 1889, he
enlisted in Co. A, 10th Batt., N. G. N. Y., and so well did he acquit himself as a
soldier, that he was very rapidly promoted. December 3, 1891, he was appointed a
a corporal; January 25, 1892, a sergeant; and on June 5, 1893, he was appointed ad-
jutant of the Tenth Battalion.

Van Antwerp, Daniel Lewis, son of William and Sarah (Meadon) Van Antwerp
(see sketch of John Henry Van Antwerp for genealogy), was born in Albany, Octo-
ber 6, 1826, and received a public school and academic education. He learned the
trade of bookbinder with A. L. Harrison, who had established himself in Albany
about 1843, and whom Mr. Van Antwerp succeeded m 1852. This is one of the old-
est, as well as one of the best equipped bookbinding and blank book manufacturing



36

establishments in the city, and under Mr. Van Antwerp's able management has en-
joyed a prosperous career. The business for many years has been located at No. 16
James street, where a large trade in all kinds of mercantile and other stationery is
conducted and where printing and engraving are also done.

Angus, Charles H., son of Charles and Mary (Pearl) Angus, was born in Albany,
N. Y., in 1868. He attended the Albany public and High Schools and learned the
carpenter trade with the firm of Gick &• Sayles, with whom he remained five years.
In 1888he entered theemploy of the Albany Venetian Blind Co. as superintendent and
manager, and soon after became a stockholder. In 1889, however, owing to the
pressure of personal business, he sold his interest in the latter business and confined
his attention to overhauling property at Castleton, N. Y. In October, 1890, Mr.
Angus bought from the estate of E. S. Foster, the nickel plating works established
in 1884 by George F. Dodge, and located on Pleasant street. In 1894 Mr. Angus
moved the plant to Nos. 317 and 319, North Pearl street and changed the name to
the Albany Nickel Plating and Manufacturing Works, where he does a general
foundry, machine and plating business, and manufacturing hardware specialties.
August 26, 1889, he married Phoebe M. Vose of Albany, and they have one daughter,
Helen.

Sabin, Charles H., was born in Williamstown, Mass., August 24, 1868. His father
was Thomas Sabin, and his mother, Cordelia Eldridge, was the daughter of Col. Reu-
ben E. Eldridge. The Sabins were early settlers in America, the first coming to America
early in the seventeenth century. Charles H. Sabin received his education at Grey-
lock Institute in South Williamstown, Mass., and in 1886 removed to Albany,
N. Y. For two and one^alf years he was employed in the office of Henry Russell,
flour merchant, and for the two years and one-half following, held a clerkship in the
National Commercial Bank. He left the latter institution to accept the position of
teller in the Park Bank of Albany, which place he filled for five years, and on
February 1, 1895, he was appointed cashier of the bank. At the time of his appoint-
ment he was the youngest cashier in New York State. Mr. Sabin has been prom-
inently identified with the Ridgefield Athletic Club as treasurer for four years and as
captain of the foot ball eleven. He is a member of the Young Men's Association
and has been its treasurer for three years; he is also a member of the Fort Orange
Club and of the Old Guard, Co. A, 10th Bat., N. G. N. Y.

Allen, Gen. D. Frank, is the son of William and Catharme (Wadleigh) Allen, and
was born in Boston, Mass., December 25, 1843. He is a descendant of English an-
cestors who took part in the founding of the government of the United States. He
lived and worked on a farm until 1860, when he moved to New York and obtained
employment in the house of Elias Howe, the first manufacturer of the sewing ma-
chine, where he was second operator at the time of the breaking out of the war.
General Allen enlisted in New York city and on April 27. 1861, was mustered for
two years as a private in Co. G, 10th Regt. National Zouaves. He served his time
and was discharged May 6, 1863, disabled by a broken down constitution. He was
in the engagement at Big Bethel and took part in the defence of Fortress Monroe,
during the battle of the Merrimac and Monitor. He was on the e.\pedition from
Fortress Monroe to Norfolk, Va. , took an active part in the famous Seven Days'
battle in Porter's Corps to the final battle at Malvern Hill, and fought at the battles



37

of Gaines Mill, White Oak Swamp, Second Bull Run, Antietam and Fredericksburg.
In 1863 he removed to Albany and entered the pharmacy of Dr. Aaron Griffin and
.subsequentlv acquired the possession of it. He remained there twelve years, when
having sold out, he went into the employ of Judson, Parsons & Haskell, dealers in
spices, and was with them five years, when the company went out of existence, suc-
ceeded by Stephen H. Parsons. After two years spent in the packing department
of Maurice E. Viele's hardware store, Mr. Allen went back to the employ of Stephen
H. Parsons, with whom he remained until May, 1895, when he was appointed as-
sistant adjutant-general of the department of G. A. R., and in May, 189(5, he was
appointed acting assistant quartermaster-general of the department of N. Y. G. A.
R. During Albert C. Judson's incumbency of the office of county clerk, Mr. Allen
was a clerk in his office. He has been a member of Lew Benedict Post, No. 5, G.
A. R., since 1884 and has passed all the chairs, being now past commander. He is
a member and past grand of Mt. Hermon Lodge No. 38, 1. O. O. F. In 18G4 he
married Mary E. Reynolds and they have nine children.

Daring, Stephen J., son of Henry and Catharine M. (Beller) Daring, was born in
the town of Wright, Schoharie county, September 15, 1862. He is of German descent,
his great-grandfather having settled in Schoharie county shortly after the Revolu-
tion. He attended the public schools and was graduated from the Albany Normal
School in 1883. After graduation he taught school for two years at his native place
and was for four years the principal of public schools at Stuyvesant, Columbia
county. In 1890 he began the study of law with Thorne & Beekman, at Middle-
burg, Schoharie county. Subsequently he took the course at the Albany Law
School and was graduated from that institution in 1893. Since then he has prac-
ticed law in Albany and has his residence at Voorheesville, Albany county. In
1895 he formed a copartnership with N. B. Spalding, the firm name being Spalding
& Daring. Mr. Daring is a member of Vorheesville I^odge No. 668, I. O. O. F.
June 13, 1893, he married M. May, daughter of Charles G. Clow, of Stuyvesant, and
they have one son.

Garvin, Martin L. R., son of Martin and Mary (Harvey) Garvin, was born in
Charlton, Saratoga county, December 36, 1856. His father was of Irish descent
and his mother of New England ancestry. Mr. Garvin was educated in the com-
mon schools and worked on a farm until he was twenty-one years of age, when he
moved to Schenectady, N. Y., and took a course in Professor Bennett's Business In-
stitute, afterward becoming associated with Professor Bennett in conducting the
Institute, having charge of the bookkeeping department. In 1881 he removed to
Albany, N. Y.. where he obtained a position with E. J. Larrabee & Co., bakers, oc-
cupying successively the positions of shipping clerk, foreman and salesman, re-
maining with them nine years. Subsequently he was salesman for Squire, Sherry
& Galusha of Troy, N. Y. , and later had the State agency for Barlow Brothers, print-
ers and publishers, of Grand Rapids, Mich. In 1894 Mr. Garvin was made assistant
manager of the Albany Terminal Warehouse Company and recently he was .elected
manager. He is an elder and deacon in the Sixth Presbyterian church of Albany
and is a member of the board of managers of the Albany City Tract and Missionary
Society. March 16, 1881, he married Rebecca Hogan of Troy and they have one
son, Elmer B.



Swett, Dr. Joseph B., jr., son of Josepl) B. and Emily C. (Gilson) Swett, was born in
Brookline, N. H., March 5, 1865. He is descended from John Swett, who in t643
came from Oxton, Devonshire county, Ehgland, and settled in Newbury, Mass.. and
who was also a grantee of the town of Newbup'. Captain Benjamin, son of John,
was killed in 1677, in the French and Indian war at Scarborough, Maine. Joseph
Swett, grandson of Benjamin, settled in Marblehead, Mass., and was the first to en-
gage in foreign trade and laid the foundation of the great commercial prosperity
which Marblehead enjoyed before the Revolution. His son Samuel married Anna
Woodbury, niece and adopted daughter of Rev. John Barnard in 1716, and their son
Samuel was also engaged in foreign trade. His son, Henry Jackson Swett, a ven-
erable citizen of Marblehead, was the grandfather of Dr. Joseph B. Swett, jr.
The doctor attended Gushing Academy at Ashburnhara, Mass., and graduated
from there in 1890. He then attended the Albany Medical College from which he
graduated in 1893, receiving the degree of M. D. Since then he has practiced in
Albany. He is a member of the Albany County Medical Society, Masters Lodge
No. 5. F. & A. M., and Co. B, 10th Batt., N. G. N. Y. He is also instructor in
Obstetrics at the Albany Medical College and attending physician at the Albany
City Hospital Dispensary and to the Dispensary of the Albany City Mission.

Blessing, Adam J. , M. D., was bom in McKownsville, Albany county, N. Y.,
September 5, 1864. He is a son of Martin M. Blessing and Elizabeth McKown,
daughter of John McKown, who was one of the first settlers of McKownsville. The
place was named McKownsville in his honor. Dr. Blessing passed through the
public schools of Albany and attended the Albany High School for three years. He
thereupon commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Vander Veer and in 1886
received his diploma from the Albany Medical College, together with an appoint-
ment to St. Peter's Hospital. He served one year at the hospital and immediately
commenced the practice of medicine, with office at No. 114 (Jrand street, where he
is now located. Dr. Blessing is a member of the Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity, the
Albany County Medical Society, Clinton Lodge I. O. O. F., Ancient City Lodge F.
& A. M., and Temple Chapter R. A. M. April 5, 1893, he married Lillian R.,
daughter of John L. Staats, and they have one son, A. Vander Veer.

Wadsworth, Paul, was born in Auburn, N. Y. , June 13, 1854. His parents came
from New England and he is descended from Christopher Wadsworth who landed
at Duxbury, Mass., in 1630 and to whom was given by Miles Standish one of the first
deeds executed by him, which now hangs in Plymouth Hall. The Wadsworth fam-
ily is very prominent in New England history and Paul Wadsworth, the subject of
this sketch, is a direct descendant of Captain Samuel Wadsworth, who with his com-
pany of one hundred men, was massacred by Indians at Sudbury, Mass. Mr. Wads-
worth received an academic education at the Auburn Academy and Geneva High
School and in 1868 he entered the telegraph service at Saratoga, N. Y. He held the
positions of operator and manager at different places in the State until the fall of
1871, when he entered the service of the D. & H. C. Co., as operator at Cooperstown
Junction, N. Y., from which point he was transferred to Binghamton, N. Y., as op-
erator and ticket agent, and when the division superintendent's office was moved to
Oneonta in 1873, Mr. Wadsworth was given the position of train dispatcher. He
was made local freight agent at Albany, N. Y., in 1877 and remained at this post for



39

thirteen years when be was appointed assistant general freight agent and a few
years later general freight agent, which position he now holds. In point of service
Mr. Wadsworth is one of the oldest employees in the railroad department of the
company. He held the position of president of the General Freight Agents Associa-
tion of New England for one 3'ear and was also secretary for the same term. He is
a member of a number of traffic organizations and his name appears upon important
committees of same. Mr. Wadsworth is also a member and trustee of the Fourth
Presbyterian church of Albany and is actively identified in church and Sundav school
work. He is a member of the Albany Club, the Transportation Club of New York,
and Ancient City Lodge F. & A. M., of Albany. In 1876 he married Susie Walker
of Pittsburgh, Pa., and they have one son and two daughters.

Phisterer, Frederick, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, October 11, 1836. He
enjoyed a liberal education in the high schools of his native country and while pre-
paring for a course of law study at the University in Tubingen, emigrated to the
United States in May, 1855. He joined Co. A, 3d U. S. Artillery, as a private on
December 6, 1855; was promoted corporal October 12, 1858; sergeant, July 10. 1860,
and was honorably discharged December 6, 1860. He was appointed sergeant major
Eighteenth United States Infantry, July 31, 1861; promoted second lieutenant
October 30, 1861; first lieutenant February 27, 1863; captain February 15, 1866; trans-
ferred to 36th U. S. Infantry July 28, 1866; transferred to 7th U. S. Infantry March
3, 1869, and was honorably discharged at his own request. August 4, 1870, received
the Congressional Medal of Honor for special service at the battle of Stone River,
Tenn., December 31, 1862, received brevets for the battles of Chattanooga, Tenn.,
and Resaca, Ga. His service in the National Guard began as captain of- the Gov-
ernor's Guard Ohio National Guard, August 27, 1817, from which position he re-
signed January 27, 1879. He was appointed acting assistant adjutant-general of
New York January 1, 1880, and assistant adjutant-general November 22, 1892.

Norton, David J., son of David and Catharine (Putnam) Norton, w^s born in the
town of Buel, Montgomery county, August 12, 1832. The first Norton who came to
America, landed at Martha's Vineyard during the early settlements in the sixteenth
century. He subsequently moved into Connecticut, where he became a large land
owner. Some of his descendants are now living in the town of Hebron, Conn. The
grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was a sharpshooter in the Revolutionary
war, was taken prisoner by the Indians and later was imprisoned by the British.
Toward the latter part of the war he was exchanged. For eight or ten consecutive
terms he was a member of the Connecticut Assembly. David J. Norton was educated
at the district schools and completed the course at the Cherry Valley Academy, after
which he taught school in Schoharie county, N. Y., anc\ in Illinois. He returned
East and after practicing law for a few years, was admitted to the bar in Februarv,
1806, while residing at Sharon Springs. Soon after he moved to Albany, N. Y., and
practiced law with ex-judge Voorhees. This partnership was dissolved after a time
and another formed with William F. Beutler, which continued until Mr. Beutlerwas
appointed assistant district attorney of Albany county. Since then Mr. Norton has
practiced alone. He has traveled extensively and is a writer of great merit. He is
the author of " Enid. " an opera given in Albany by the Albany Opera Company.
He has also written many very entertaining stories for Frank Leslie's and



40

other papers and magazines, He represented the Sixteenth ward on the board of
supervisors for one term and was alderman from the Fourteeuth ward for two terms,
and while serving as alderman was chosen one of the members of the Committee of
Albany's bi-centennial celebration in 1887. He was also a member of Beverwyck
Lodge I. O. (). F. November 10, 1863, he married Almira Voorhees and they have
two daughters: May and Margaret B.

Walters, Charles, was born at the Watervliet Arsenal, Watervliet, Albany county,
in 1845. He is a son of the late William Walters, captain and ordnance storekeeper,
U. S. A., who died at New York Arsenal, Governor's Island, New York harbor, m
1864,. whilst on duty at that station. Mr. Walters now occupies the position of chief
clerk at the Arsenal; he is an unpretentious citizen, taking no active part in the
affairs of the city of Watervliet, where he now resides. He entered the service of
the government in 1861, and in 1870 came to Watervliet Arsenal to his present posi-
tion, succeeding Isaac I. Fonda, deceased, late of Watervliet.

Wight, Edward, was born in Belfast, Me., in 1835, and is a son of Samuel
Wight, a captain of merchant ships, who died at sea. Mr. Wight was twenty-one



Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 84 of 138)