Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 85 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 85 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

years of age when he became a resident of West Troy. He has been one of the
leading grocery dealers of West Troy for nearly half a century. His first grocery
and market was located on Canal street, and is now at Twenty-third street, dealing
in hay, grain and cordage, besides the grocery business, and is very successful.

Reiley, Patrick, came to West Troy when twelve years of age, and is one of the
older citizens of this city. He has always resided in tlie same block, and has conducted
a grocery store here for forty-nine years. He has led an active political life and is
now postmaster. Among the many public offices he has held are school trustee,
village trustee, supervisor, overseer of the poor, and many others. Mr. Reiley was
born in Limerick, Ireland, in 1822, coming to America when seven years of age, and
settling in Troy. He has served thirty-si.x years as treasurer of St. Patrick's church,
and forty-two years as trustee.

Hart, John W., has been lifelong resident of West Troy, coming here in 184'Jfrom
County Tipperary, Ireland, vi'here he was born in 1842. His father, Patrick Hart,
now dead, was street commissioner here from_1869-70. Mr. Hart was educated at
St. Patrick'sparochialschool, and first peddled papers, learning the cooper's trade later,
at which he worked for fifteen years. He entered the baking business, in which he
is so successfully engaged, in 1892. Mr. Hart has always been interested in the
local affairs of West Troy, and served his fellowmen in many offices of trust and
honor. His first office was that of village trustee from the Fourth ward in 1867-70.
He was village collector in 1878, and chamberlain in 1879, being the first one to hold
that office, as the office of treasurer was abolished. He held that office from 1879 to
1885 inclusive, then resigned to take that of county sheriff for three years.

Haswell, John L.. is the only son of the late Joseph M. Haswell, who died Janu-
ary 6, 1872. J. M. Haswell came to West Troy from Waterford, Saratoga county,
and took a prominent place in business. He was largely interested in lumber, being
the senior member of the firm of Haswell & Mosher, and at the time of his death was
president of the West Troy National Bank. J. L. Haswell was born at West Troy,
January 1, 1866. He is not at present engaged in any active business, but has large
real estate interests in the West.


Hudson, Charles D., born in Troy, N. Y.. August 26, 1853, is a son of Daniel
Hudson, who married Mary A. Henry, of Schenectady, N. Y., and who moved in
1837 from Schoharie county to Troy, where he lived to the time of his death. Mr.
Hudson was educated in the common schools of Troy, but when a young man went
to work in his father's box factory and afterwards in the Manufacturers' National
Bank. He subsequently accepted a position as shipper in a collar factory, keeping
up his studies as best he could. In 1868 he entered the law office of Smith, Welling-
ton & Black of Troy, and was admitted to the bar in 1881. He at once commenced
practice in the village of West Troy (now the city of Watervliet), Albany county,
where he has been ever since, occupying the same office. He has been reasonably
successful, having in both Rensselaer and Albany counties been engaged in some
important litigations involving large amounts of property. He has conducted a
general law business but has given special attention to the preparation and trial of
causes. He is a Democrat in politics, but never held office. Having a taste for
literature, he has written and published articles on historical and other subjects.
He was married in Troy to Ruth M. Hudson and has one daughter, Mabel R. He is
a memberof the Watervliet Club and an attendant of the First Avenue M. E. church.

Scott, Jacob C. E., is of Scotch and Holland Dutch descent, his great-great-grand-
father, John Scott, of New York, being a soldier in the Revolutionary war. John,
.son of the latter, 1763-1817, was a soldier m the Revolutionary war, married Deborah,
daughter of Jacob Klock and settled in Coeymans. Jacob Scott, son of the last
John, was a resident of Albany, born 1793, died 1877, and served in the war of
1813. He married Susan Varian Smith, cousin of Isaac L. Varian, mayor of New
York and State senator. William J. Scott, son of Jacob, was born in New Balti-
more, N. Y., in 1817, and has spent his active life in Albany as a gun manufac-
turer and dealer, of the old firm of W. J. & R. H. Scott. He was for many years
prominent in Democratic politics and was foreman of Steamer No. 11. of the Volun-
teer Fire Department. He married Martha Jane Waters, who died in 1880, leavmg
six children who survive her. Jacob C. E. Scott, son of William J., born in Albany,
January 13, 1865, was graduated from the Albany High School in 1884, spent some
time at Cornell University and finally entered the employ of the Morning Express,
becoming successively reporter, exchange editior, editor of the Sunday edition and
assistant associate editor. While discharging these duties he attended the Albany
Law School, registering as a law student with Hon. John C. Nott, and received the
degree of LL. B. in 1889. He spent one year as law reporter on the Albany Argus
and in 1890 became private secretary and chief clerk to Mayor Manning, which posi-
tion he held four years. In 1892 he also began the practice of law and since 1894 has
given his whole time to his profession. In 1894 he was appointed a police commis-
sioner and has since been the secretary of the Board of Police. He was president of
the Albany High School Alumni Association in 1895-96. In 1891 he married Irene,
daughter of John Weller Embler, of Walden, Orange county.

Hessberg, Albert, was born December 13, 1856, in Albany, where his parents,
Simon and Hannah Hessberg, settled in 1845, coming here from Germany. His
father, a retired shoe merchant, is still living at the age of .seventy-three. Mr. Hess-
l)erg on finishing his academical course at the High School, entered the law office of
Peckham & Tremain. the firm consisting of Hon. Rufus W, Peckham, Hon. Lyman


Tremain and his son Grenville. He remained several years with this firm, acting as
its managing clerk. In January, 1878, he was admitted to the bar at the General
Term in Albany, at the first written examination under the new Code of Civil Pro-
cedure. During 1878 death closed the career of both the Tremains, when Rufus W.
Peckham associated himself with S. W. Rosendale and Mr. Hessberg, and the firm
of Peckham, Rosendale & Hessberg maintained a high reputation. In 1883 Rufus
W. Peckham was elevated to the Supreme Court bench, when the firm dissolved, and
that of Rosendale & Hessberg formed, which has continued a successful law prac-
tice. In April, 1881, Mr. Hessberg was appointed assistant corporation counsel of
the city of Albany and served during the terms of Mayors Nolan and Banks. In
the winter of 1884 he was named by the Common Council one of the commissioners
to draft new laws and ordinances for the city. In the spring of 1888 he was elected
recorder by a majority of 3,000 and served until 1892, when he was re-elected by a
majority of 6,000 and served until May, 1896. He is public spirited and proud of
the advancement, development and beauty of his native city. He was one who ren-
dered valuable assistance in raising funds for the construction of Harmanus Bleecker
Hall. He is a director of the Park Bank of Albany ; trustee of the Albany City
Savings Institution ; manager of the society for providing a home for aged and des-
titute Israelites; treasurer of the Xew York State Bar Association; a director in the
Cohoes City Railway; vice-president of the United Charities Organization of Al-
bany; president of the Watervliet Turnpike and Railroad Company; one of the
managers of the University Centre; member of all the leading Albany clubs and
ex president of the Bena Berith organization. On the 19th of June, 1889, he mar-
ried Miss Irederika Cohn of Albany and they have two children: Rufus R., and
Ruth C.

Oothout, Volkert J., born in West Troy, N. Y., July 6, 1855, is a son of Jonas V.
and Helen M. (Lobdell) Oothout. Mr. Oothout entered the law office, as a student.
of Elias Van Olinda, counselor at law, of West Troy, and also attended the Albany
Law School, from which he was graduated on May 27, 1881. He was admitted to
the bar on May 28, 1881, and ever since that time has been engaged in the practice
of law at West Troy, now the city of Watervliet. June 30, 1896, he was married to
Sarah E. Blunn. Mr. Oothout is a descendant of Hendrick Oothout, who came from
Holland and settled in Albany, and in 1713 purchased a large tract of land on the
west side of the Mohawk River and settled there. A greater part of the land has
been sold and is now populated with residences and manufactories, and includes the
lands now comprising the village of Green Island, also a portion of the lands lying
between the cities of Cohoes and Watervliet.

Fennelly, P. E., M. D., a well known and prominent physician of West Troy, be-
gan the study of medicine in his native country, Ireland, where he was "born in 1848.
He was educated at St. Kyran's College. Kilkenny; in 1867 became to Americaand en-
tered the Albany Medical College, graduating in 1869. He began his successful
career as general practitioner here in 1870, and early reached the front rank of
the profession. He is a valued member of the various medical societies and has
been health officer here many years.

Tracey, James F., son of John, was born in Albany, May 30, 1854. John Tracey,
a native of Ireland, settled in Canada when he was fourteen years old. During the



Canadian rebellion, or " Patriot War," of 1837 he removed to Albany, where he died
July 12, 1875, in his sixty-sixth year. He was a successful merchant and a leading,
respected citizen, and served, as a member of the Common Council, the Board of
Education, the Board of Police Commissioners, a governor of the Albany City Hos-
pital and a trustee of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. St. Agnes Ceme-
tery, St. Vincent's Orphan Asylum, and the Albany Savings Bank. He was also a
member of the Board of Trade. James F. Tracey was educated partly in the Albany
Academy and partly abroad, and was graduated from Georgetown University at
Washington, D. C, in 1874. He read law with M. T. & L. G. Hun and at the
Albany Law School, class of 1875, and upon his admission to the bar began active
practice in Albany. In 1877 he formed a copartnership with James Fenimore Cooper
and his father, Paul Fenimore Cooper, which continued until 1893, when Albert
Rathbone was admitted under the present firm name of Tracey & Cooper. Paul F.
Cooper died in April, 1895, leaving the three surviving partners to continue the firm's
large law practice. This firm is a continuance of the old law firm of Charles M.
Jenkins and Paul F. Cooper, which at the time of the latter's death was believed to
be the, oldest law partnership that had continued without change of name in the
United States, it having existed without the admission of new members for about
forty years. Mr. Tracey has conducted a general law practice with a specialty of
business for banks and estates. He is an active Demcorat and during the first
Cleveland campaign was president of the Young Men's Democratic Club of r\lbany.
He was president of the Catholic Union two terras and is a trustee of various charita-
ble and other societies. May 10, 1893, he married Lucianne Bosse, of Quebec, Can-
ada, and they have one son, Walter.

Robinson, Walter Foote, M. D., son of Albert David and Helen (Fay) Robinson,
was born in Albany October 13, 1860. His father was appointed paymaster in the
army and moved the family to Washington, D. C, where Dr. Robinson prepared
for Princeton College in Mr. Young's Academy. After graduating from Princeton
with the degree of B. S., he entered the Albany Medical College and was graduated
therefrom in 1884 with the degree of M. D. He spent one year in the Albany Home-
opathic Hospital and two years in general practice and then for three years made a
specialty of the study of mental and nervous diseases, attending lectures in all the
])rincipal hospitals of Pans, Vienna, Berlin and Heidelberg. In October, 1890, he
returned to Albany, where he has since practiced his specialty of mental and ner-
vous diseases. Dr. Robinson has perfected a number of electrical appliances of
value to the medical profession. He is a member of the American Electro-Thera-
peutic Association, the Albany Medical Society and the Albany Country Club.

Stillman, Dr. William O., of Albany, N. Y., son of Rev. Stephen Lewis and
Lucretia (Miller) Stillman, and grandson of Ethan Stillman, was born September 9,
1856, at Normansville, a suburb of Albany. Dr. Stillman's paternal ancestry were
Puritans, having come to this country in 1686 from England, and early took an active
part in colonial life in Connecticut and Rhode Island. His mother's family came
from Holland a little later and were numbered among the Dutch settlers of the Hudson
River valley. During and subsequent to the Revolutionary war, Eihan Stillman,
who owned a gun factory, manufactured large quantities of rifles for the Continental
army, and a number of members of the family on both sides served in its ranks.


Dr. Stillman was educated in his native city and leceived the honorary degree of A.
M. from Union College in 1880. He commenced the study of medicine in 1874, his
medical preceptors being Drs. James H. Armsby, Samuel B. Ward and John P. Gray.
He attended four courses of lectures at the Albany Medical College and received his
degree February 3. 1878. taking the highest honors of his class and several prizes.
Dr. Stillman was associated with the Drs. Strong in the management of their sani-
tarium at Saratoga Springs from 1878 to 1883: at the end of that period he visited
Europe and spent a year and a half in study in the universities of Berlin, Vienna
and Paris and in the London hospitals. Returning to the United States m the autumn
of 1884, he began the practice of medicine and surgery in Albany, which city has
since been his residence. The project of a loan exhibition in 1886 to celebrate the
bi-centennial of Albany's city charter, was first proposed by Dr. Stillman and he was
most active in making it a success, as a member of the board of directors and chair-
man of the building committee. From this exhibition he conceived the idea of a
permanent museum, and mainly owing to his initiative, the Albany Historical and
Art Association was incorporated, which institution will soon have a fine building
of its own. As president of the Mohawk and Hudson River Humane Society, his
philanthropic instincts have found full play, and much needed legislation has been
secured throgh his efforts to promote humane work in the State. He is also a vice-
president of both the State and National Humane Associations.. Dr. Stillman has
been a member of the Albany County Medical Society, the Albany Academy of Med-
icine, the.Medical Society of the State of New York, the Association of American
Anatomists, the American Society for the Advancement of Science, the American
Sociological Society and the Albany Institute ; trustee of the Albany Historical and
Art Society; director of the Fairview Home since 1888; president of the Mohawk and
Hudson River Humane Society since 1892; an officer of the Vigilance and Civic
Leagues of Albany; a member of various social and political clubs; and of the order
of Masons and Odd Fellows. He was physician to the Open Door Mission and Hos-
pital for Incurables in 1887 and 1888; to the Babies' Nursery and Bathrop Memorial
from 1888 to 1892; to the Home for Christian Workers since 1892; and to the Do-
minican Monastery since 1887. He has delivered several courses of medical lectures
before various bodies and is the author of many contributions to medical literature,
notably on "Neurasthenia," "Cholera," "The Mineral Springs of Saratoga," and
many others. Dr. Stillman married Miss Frances M. Rice, of Boston, in 1880, but
has no other family. He is still engaged in the active practice of his profession in

Walker, William J., is a son of John and Frances (Ginn) Walker, natives of the
north of Ireland, who came to Albany about 1843. John was engaged in the cattle
business and died in 1876, aged forty-nine. William J. Walker, born in Albany Feb-
retary 13, 1853, attended public school No. 11 and when fourteen entered the law
office of S. W. Rosendale and in 1869 the store of A. McClure & Co. , wholesale drug-
gists. In 1882 he was admitted a partner in this firm, the name of which was changed
in 1889 to McClure, Walker & Gibson, and in 1893 to Walker & Gibson, which it still
bears. Theirs is strictly a wholesale drug business, covering the territory within a
radius of about 200 miles of Albany. Mr. Walker has been police commissioner since
1894, was the Republican candidate for mayor in 1895, was a delegate to the Rei)ub-


licau National Convention at St. Louis in June, 1896, and has frequently been a
delegate to local and State political conventions. He is a member of the Fort Orange
Club, one of the governers of the Albany City Hospital, a director in the National
Commercial Bank and a trustee of the Mechanics' and Farmers' Savings Bank, the
Madison Avenue Reformed church and the Albany College of Pharmacy. In 1882
he married Ada, daughter of John Craig of Fultonville, N. Y., and they have four
children: William J., jr., Esther, Francis and Helen.

Culver. Charles M., M. D., son of Cyrus L.'and Mary (Bullock) Culver, was born
in West Troy, N. Y., September 38, 18.56. His father, a lumber merchant, was born
in Sandy Hill, Washington county, March 29, 1824, came to West Troy in 1850 and
now lives in Albany. Dr. Culver was educated in the public and high schools of
Troy, and was graduated as B. A. from Union College in 1878; while there he was
prominent in athletics and won several prizes. He received the degree of A. M.
from Union College in 1881, read medicine in Schenectady and Albany with Dr.
Thomas Featherstonhaugh (now medical referee in the Pension Department at
Washmgton, D. C), and was graduated from the Albany Medical College in 1881.
He then went to Europe and studied ophthalmology with Dr. Schweigger, general
medicine with Dr. Frerichs, and general surgery with Dr. Langenbeck, in Friedrich
Wilhelm University, Berlin. In 1882 he went to Paris and studied ophthalmology
with Drs. Galezowski and Landolt, and later pursued the same study in Loudon, re-
turning to America in 1883. He began the active practice of his profession in Al-
bany, where he has since resided. His translations of Dr. E. Landolt's "Refrac-
tion and Accommodation of the Eye and Their Anomalies" was published in Edin-
burgh in 1886; of Landolt's "Cataract-Operation, in Our Time" in Nashville, Tenn.,
in 1892; and of Landolt's work on Strabismus is in course of publication in Phila-
delphia, in the System of Ophthalmology to be edited by Drs. Norris and Oliver. Dr.
Culver has written several articles which have been published in leading medical
journals. He is ophthalmic surgeon to the Albany Orphan Asylum, member of the
Ameritan Ophthalmological Society, the Medical Society of New York State and
the Albany County Medical Society, historian of Philip Livingston Chapter, Sons of
the Revolution, and a member through three ancestors, and a member of the So-
ciety of the Colonial Wars through four ancestors. May 10, 1887, he married Jessie,
daughter of the late Joel Munsell of Albany, and they have two children: Cyrus L.
2d, and Mary.

Crawford, Charles H., M. D., son of Isaac and Hannah (French) Crawford, the
former a native of Scotland and the latter of Massachusetts and a descendant of
John French of Revolutionary fame, was born March 17, 1851, and was graduated
with the degree of A. B. from the Maryland University at Baltimore in 1873. He
read medicine with the late Dr. Frank Hamilton in New York city for four years,
taking lectures in ihe mean time at the College of Physicians and Surgeons. He
came to Albany in 1879 and entered the office of Drs. Swinburne and Balch, and
graduated from the AlbanyjMedical College in 1881 ; since then he has practiced his
profession in Albany, giving special attention to diseases of women and children;
his office is located at 218 Hudson avenue. He is energetic and a hard worker and
enjoys a wide practice among the best people of the city and vicinity, and whose
judgment is considered equal to any in his profession. He is a member of the Al-

bany County Medical Society, Temple Lodge No. 14, F. & A. M.. Clinton Lodge
No. T, I. O. O. F., Chancellor Lodge No. 58, K. P., and Clan Macfarlane No. '22,
O. S. C.

Curtis, Frederic C, M. D., born at Unionville, S. C. October 19. 1843. is of New-
England parentage and a descendant in the seventh generation of Henry Curtis,
who was born at Stratford-on-Avon, England, in 1621 and came to America in 1643,
settling in Wethersfield, Conn. For three generations the family resided in Connec-
ticut and subsequently removed to Stockbridge. Mass. , where they have since lived.
Rev. L. W. Curtis, father of Dr. Curtis, went South on account of his health when
he was a young man and soon after settling in South Carolina was married to Eliza-
beth Colton, of Lenox, Mass. Two sons were born to them ; The eldest. Frederic
C. Curtis, passed his early days in South Carolina, but while a lad removed to
Canaan, N. Y., and subsequently entered Beloit College, Wisconsin, from which he
was graduated in 1866, and in 1869 was awarded the degree of M. A. In 1864 he
entered the U. S. army as a private in the 41st Wisconsin Regiment, Co. B, which
was chiefly composed of Beloit College students. After completing his college
course. Dr. Curtis began the study of medicine at the University of Michigan and
finished it at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York city, from which
institution he received his degree of M. D. in 1870. He subsequently pursued his
medical studies for a year in Vienna. In 1872 Dr. Curtis began the active practice
of his profession in Albany, in partnership with Dr. W. A. Bailey. He also, the
same year, became a member of the Medical Society of the County of Albany and
was its secretary from 1873 to 1874 and its president in 1878. In 1888 he was elected
by the County Society a delegate to the Medical Society of the State of New York,
of which he became a permanent member in 1882. He was made its .secretary in
1889 and still retains the office. In 1883 he became a member of the American Pub-
lic Health Association. He was appointed physician to the Albany Hospital Dis-
pensary in 1872, a member of the medical staff of St. Peter's Hospital in 1874,
of the medical staff of Albany Hospital in 1876, lecturer in the summer course of the
Albany Medical College in 1877 and professor of dermatology in the college in 1880.
He is a trustee of the Albany Female Academy and of the Albany County Savings
Bank, and a member of the Sons of the Revolution. In 1884 he married Charlotte
E., daughter of Royal Bancroft of Albany. He has made a number of valuable
contributions to current medical literature.

Davenport, Samuel J., son of Valentine and Maria (Palmatier) Davenport, was
born in Schoharie, N. V., June 3, 1834, and is a grandson of Samuel Davenport, who
was master mechanic at the Greenbush barracks during the war of 1812. The fam-
ily came from England very early and settled originally on Long Island. Mr. Dav-
enport received a public school education and remained on the paternal farm in
Schoharie county until he reached the age of eighteen, when he came to Albany and
was employed in the lumber district until 1870, being lumber inspector for about
eighteen years. He then engaged in paving streets, as a member of the Scrimshaw
Paving Company, which in 1876 became S. J. Davenport & Company. In 1880 this
firm was dissolved and continued by S. J. Davenport until 1892, when it was
reorganized by Mr. Davenport and his brother, George W., of Altamont, under
the old firm name of S. J. Davenport & Company, which still continues. In

1872 he began street sprinkling on contract, and the firm now carries on a large
business in both lines and also in general contracting. He had the contract for
improving the capitol park in October, 1888, and the following year took up the
business of transplanting large trees. He occupied the "Old Elm Tree Corner"
building at the junction of North Pearl and State streets when it burned and
was the first to occupy the new Tweddle building after its completion. He was

Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 85 of 138)