Copyright
Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 86 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 86 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


one of the principal founders of Grace M. E. church, has been a trustee since its
organization and president of the board since 1876, and was chiefly instrumental
in erecting the present edifice. He is an active Republican and a veteran member
of Temple Lodge No. 14, F. & A. M. He has a fine and valuable collection of geo-
logical specimens from all parts of the world. In 1858 he married Eliza A. Bur-
banks, who died in 1871, leaving one son, Frank R., who died in 1894, aged thirty-
five. Mr. Davenport married again in 1872 Isabella Wayne, of Iowa.

Davis, Charles Edmond, M. D., son of Thomas D. Davis, was born near Montreal.
Canada, November 10, 1867, and when young moved with his parents to Waterford,
N. Y. , where he was graduated from the Waterford High School. He then engaged
in the drug business, receiving a State drug license in 1889. He read medicine witli
Dr. Zeh of Waterford and the late Dr. Swinburne of Albany, and was graduated
from the Albany Medical College in 1891. In 1889 and 1890 he was resident physi-
cian to the Albany Homoeopathic Hospital and in 1891 he began the active practice
of his profession in Albany. Dr. Davis is secretary of the Albany Board of Pension
Surgeons, instructor in the Albany Medical College, and a member of the City Board
of Health. He served a membership in Co. A, 10th Battalion, N. G. N. Y., and is
now a member of the Old Guard of Co. A, and Hospital Steward of the Battalion.
He is a member of the Albany County Medical Society, a delegate elect to the New
York State Medical Society, a member of Masters Lodge, F. & A. M., Temple
Chapter, R. A. M., Flower Lodge, K. P., and the Fort (Grange and Albany Camera
Clubs, and a member of the board of directors of the last named club.

Boardman & Gray. — This well known piano firm was founded in Albany in 18S7
by William G. Boardman and James A. Gray. Mr. Gray was the practical member
of the concern and was born in New York city in 1814. After serving a regular ap-
prenticeship in piano forte making, he worked for several years as a journeyman
and finally joined Mr. Boardman, who, as a business man, had begun the manufac-
ture of pianos on a small scale. They established a factory, over which Mr. Gray
had the practical supervision, until shortly before his death in 1889, Mr. Boardman
retiring about 186(i, and died in 1880, Mr. Gray was among the leaders in develop-
ing the American piano and bringing it to its present high standard of perfection. He
probably contributed more improvements than any other maker in the United States,
and the firm has always made every part of the instrument. The original name of
Boardman & Gray has been continued unchanged and the business is now carried
on by James S. and William J. Gray (sons of James A.), and William H. Currier, of
Toledo, Ohio. From 1877 to 1885 the firm was composed of James A. Gray and his
eldest son, William J. Gray ; at the death of the father in 1889 the present partner-
ship was formed. Their pianos have from the first taken a foremost rank among the
best instruments of the kind in the world and are found in almost every civilized
country on the globe.



48

Bacon, Allen H., is a member of the wholesale coffee, spice and tea firm of Bacon,
Stickney & Co., whose business was started at Nos. 7 and 9 Exchange street in
1835 by William Froment and William Prentiss, under the firm name of Froment &
Co. In 1838 they sold out to George L. Crocker, who was succeeded in 1845 by
Luther A. Chase and Moses W. Stickney. The firm of L. A. Chase & Co. continued
the business until 1851, when Mr. Stickney retired and Samuel N. Bacon and Leander
Stickney (brother of Moses W.) were admitted, the name remaining unchanged.
March 21, 1857, S. N. Bacon, M. W. Stickney and L. Stickney became sole proprie-
tors under the firm name of Bacon & Stickneys, and in 18(il they erected a new
building, forming a part of the firm's present quarters on Dean street. On the
admission of James Ten Eyck, March 1, 1865, the name of Bacon, Stickneys c& Co.
was adopted. Moses W. Stickney died in February, 1879, and his brother, Lean-
der, in January, 1883. In 1888 a five story building was added to their plant on
Dean street, where a large wholesale trade in coffees, spices and teas is conducted,
being one of the oldest of its kind in the State. The same year Herbert W. Stick-
ney, son of Leander, was admitted. Milton W. Stickney, son of Moses W. , was a
member of the firm from March, 1879, to March, 1882, and on March 1, 1888, Allen
H. Bacon (son of Samuel N.) and Samuel W. Brown became partners. Samuel N.
Bacon died September 11, 1889; on October 1, following, the firm was reorganized
and now consists of James Ten Eyck, Herbert W. Stickney. Allen H. Bacon and
Samuel W. Brown.



Cohn, Mark, born in New York city, November 20, 1852, removed with his parents
about 1861 to Albany, where his father, Louis Cohn, was engaged in the wholesale
and retail clothing business until his death in 1877. He was educated in the public
schools and Levi Cass's private school of Albany, read law in the office of Hand &
Hale, Hon. Jacob H. Clute and Peckham & Tremain. He attended the Columbia
Law School and received the degree of LL. B. from the Albany Law School in 1873
and was admitted to the bar in 1874. Since them he has been in the active practice
of his profession. He is a Democrat, a member of the Albany Press Club and in
1892 was appointed assistant district attorney. In 1878 he married Sara Oppenheim
of Albany, and they have two daughters, Olma and Therese.

Foster, Henry S., is a son of John Newton Foster, who was born in Utica, N. Y.,
June 28, 1836, and came to Albany about 1838, his parents having died while he was
an infant. John N. was apprenticed to the gilding trade in the family of Lawson
Annesley, and later engaged in the picture frame business under the firm name of
Chapin & Foster. From about 1873 he was connected with the fire insurance patrol,
as superintendent. He was member of assembly in 1878, superintendent of the
poor two years, member of Co A, of the Old Guard, and during the panic of 1873
conducted a store for the relief of distres.sed families. He died April 13, 1895. He
married Mary A. Snyder, who survives, and of their six children Fred H. died De-
cember 27, 1895. Henry S. Foster, born in Albany, July 16, 1865, became a clerk at
the age of fifteen in the oflSce of the Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Albany
(incorporated 1836), with which he has ever since been connected, serving as book-
keeper, cashier, etc. On the death of George Cuyler in November, 1893, he was
elected secretary and general manager. He also represents a number of other large
American and foreign fire insurance companies as well as life and accident insur-



49

auce. He is a local director of the New York Mutual Savings and Loan Associa-
tion, a charter member (188(i) of the Empire Curling Club, and has been secretary of
the latter since its incorporation in 1891. He has been prominently identified with,
and a subordinate officer in, the Grand Lodge, I. O. O. F., is a member of Temple
Lodge. No. U, F. & A. M., the Albany Club, and other local institutions. The fol-
lowing in relation to the Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Albany is quoted from
•' The Industries of Albany " :

For sixty years the Mutual Fire Insurance Company of this city has ably demonstrated the
beneficence and usefulness of its policy of fire insurance, which being divested of the purest
commercial element that attaches to that of the great majority of insurance companies, results
in a great saving to its patrons, while at the same time affords them equal safety and positive in-
demnity in case of loss and damage by fire. This company was organized in 18.36, and its busi-
ness is a purely mutual one, every policy-holder being a beneficiary in the profits arising from
the business. What the savings bank is in banking, the Mutual Fire Insurance Company is in
fire insurance, and during its l9ng and honorable career it has saved to its cu.stomers over $500,-
iMX). while it has paid all just claims for losses that have been incurred. The company insures all
desirable property for one or three years on the cash or note plan, and all its risks are carefully
placed, the business being conducted with the greatest caution. From the last public statement
ulated January 1, 189T, we note that the net cash assets of the company were $1&3,H8.21, which
amount would be entirely used for the payment of claims before the premium notes of $319,-
iMJS.Sl would be resorted to. Thf^'n.ss .ivailabk- assets are $50-2,IHia.03.) The company's rates are as
low as any other first-class th lupany, and as the profits are divided among the

policy-holders, are in fact in.. -..■ obtainable elsewhere. The company's line of

business under the able maiia, utive committee and of Mr. H. S. Foster, secre-

tary and general manager, ha^ .iiile.

Mullenneaux, Marcus H., of French Huguenot and English stock, son of Tunis T.
and Mary Wright, was born near Newburgh, N. Y., January 5, 1852; passed his
boyhood on the the farm untir fifteen years of age, then taught school several years;
was graduated from the Albany Normal School in the spring of 1873. He taught
natural science and mathematics in Claverack College and Hudson River Insti-
tute until 1877 ; was graduated with the degree of LL.B. from the Albany Law School
in 1878, read law with Newkirk & Chase of Hudson, and was admitted to the bar in
the fall of that year at the General Term of the Supreme Court in Brooklyn. He prac-
ticed law in Newburgh until 1885, when he accepted the general agency for Eastern
New York of the National Life Insurance Company of Montpelier, Vt. , which po.si-
tion he has since held. He is a member of the e.xecutive committee of the Life Un-
derwriters' Association of Eastern New York and a director of the Albany Musical
Association. Mr. Mullenneaux has built up a large and satisfied constituency for
his company in the Hudson River valley, notwithstanding the company had not
before been represented by a general agency in this part of the State. In the spring
of 1893 he moved his general office from Newburgh to Albany. In 1880 he married
Ella, daughter of Elbert Verity of Brooklyn, and they have two sons; Elbert V.
and Marcus H., jr.

Hollands, William, was born November 4, 1887, in the town of Watervliet, Albany
I I'lmty. and is the son of William and Mary (Palmer) Hollands. He was educated
m the public and private schools of West Troy and was graduated from the Albany
Law School in 1862. After the death of his father in 1853 he assumed the con-
trol of the West Troy Advocate, which his father had successfully conducted
prior to his death, and continued the publication until its abandonment in 1864.



50

He was elected justice of the peace of the town of Watervliet for an unexpired
terra 1863 to 1865, and from 1865 to 1873 he was engaged in mercantile business with
Thomas and James Scarborough. Mr. Hollands was postmaster of West Troy from
September, 1865, to March, 1878. In 1873 he began the practice of law, which he has
since continued, and is also engaged in the fire insurance business. He is a member
of the Watervliet Social Club and warden of Trinity Episcopal church. October
3, 1867, he married Harriet N., daughter of Thomas S. Truair, of Syracuse, N. Y.

Hickey, Dennis, jr., is the representative of one of the oldest families of the south
end of Albany, is a son of Dennis Hickey, for forty years a wholesaleliquor dealer here,
and who died in 1893. Mr. Hickey vi'as born in Albany in 1867, and was educated at
the Christian Brothers' School. He first entered the grocery business, the manage-
ment of which in 1889 he gave over to a younger brother. In 1890 he opened a large
store in Gloversville, then retured to Albany, locating at the corner of Elm and Swan
streets ; after one year he came to West Troy, and is now proprietor of the United
States Grocery and Provision Co., situated on Broadway and Nineteenth streets.
The success of this establishment attests the energetic capabilities and shrewd busi-
ness policy of its manager.

Hessberg, Samuel, son of Simon and brother of Albert Hessberg, was born in Al-
bany, June 13, 1859, was educated in the public and high schools and in 1876 entered
the telegraph department of the N. Y. C. & H. R. R. R. under Henry R. Pierson,
who was the resident director of the road at that time. In 1879 he became superin-
tendent of the telegraph lines between Albany and Buffalo, a position he resigned
in 1881 to enter the employ of Mr. Pierson, who had engaged in the banking and
brokerage business In September, 1889, as manager, he opened a banking and
brokerage office in Albany for J. S. Bache & Co., and in April, 1893, became a mem-
ber of the firm. As a business man Mr. Hessberg's career is one of uninterrupted
success. In financial matters his opinion is often sought and highly valued. He
was especially active in reorganizing the Distillers and Cattle Feeding Company in
March and April, 1895. He has been for a number of years a manager of the Young
Men's Association, a member and ex-president of the Adelphi Club, and a member
of the Albany Club. He is prominently connected with several charitable organiza-
tions. February 5. 1896, he married Rose G., daughter of Isaac Brilleman, one of
the leading jewelers of Albany.

Viele, Maurice Edward, is descended from Cornelius Cornelison Viele, who fled
from France to Holland to escape persecution, came to Fort Orange, now Albany,
and subsequently removed to Schenectady, where he resided when that place was
destroyed by the Indians, and whence he returned to Albany in 1670. His son,
Ludovickus Viele, born 1709, married Maria Frear; their son, Jacob, married Eva
Le Fort; and their son, Ludovickus, married Effie Toll. Hon. John L. Viele, son of
the latter, 1788-1832, married Cathalina, daughter of John and granddaughter of
Col. John Knickerbocker, of Schaghticoke, where Col. John raised and commanded
a regiment in the Revolution, participating in the battle of Saratoga. She died in
1837. Hon. John L. Viele was assemblyman from Saratoga county, senator from the
Fourth district, two terms each, and was a Regent of the University of New York at
the time of his death. Maurice E. Viele, his son, born in Waterford, N. Y., May 17,
1823, attended the academy at Lansingburgh and in 1837 came to Albany to finish



51

his education in the academy here. After clerking in Albany and New York, lat-
terly for Boorman, Johnston, Ayers & Co., iron merchants, he formed in November,
1845, a partnership with Alexander Davidson, and as Davidson & Viele purchased
the hardware store in Albany of M. Van Alstyne & Co. Mr. Davidson died in ltr59
and Mr. Viele continued the business with other parties until 1864, when he became
sole owner. In 1891 he transferred the stock to the Albany Hardware and Iron
Company and retired from active life, being at that time the oldest hardware mer-
chant in the capital city. During his career he bought out six different hardware
concerns. He was an organizer and long a director of the Merchants Bank of Albany,
was for several years a director in the Commercial National Bank, was an organizer
and president of the old Albany Agiicultural and Art Association, and has been a
trustee of Rutgers College since 18.J3, being the second oldest member ot that board.
He has been a trustee of the Albany Orphan Asylum since about 1850 and of the
Albany Academy since 1872, was president of the Albany County Bible Societ\ , and
Albany City Tract and Missionary Society several years, and was an incorporator
in 1876 and since 1892 president of the Home for Aged Men. For eight years he has
been a trustee of the Berkshire Industrial Farm at Canaan Four Corners, Columbia
county, and in politics has been a Republican since the formation of that party. In
1850 he married Maria, daughter of Charles De Kay Townsend, M. D., of Albany.
She died in 1889.

Wing, Albert J., was born in Albany, N. Y., September 18, 1859. He was gradu-
ated from Cornell University in 1880, and subsequently entered business life as a
member of the firm of Albert Wing, Sons & Co., wholesale grocers. He was for
several years actively connected with the N. G. S. N.Y., being a captain in the 10:h
Battalion, when he received his honorable discharge in 1889. He is a member of
the Fort Orange Club, of which he has been a trustee, and is a trustee of the Albany
City Homeopathic Hospital. Albert Wing, his father, born in Dutchess county
in 1815, came to Albany about 1836 and in 1841 founded on Quay street the pres-
ent wholesale grocery business of Wing Brothers & Hartt. His first partner was
William Cook, the firm being Cook & Wing. They were followed successively
by Cook, Wing & Wooster, Cook & Wing again and Wing & Wooster. On Mr.
Wooster's death in 1871, Mr. Wing became sole owner. In 1873 his son, James
C, was admitted under the firm name of Albert Wing & Son, vchich in 1876
became Albert Wing, Son & Co., and in 1881 Albert Wing, Sons & Co., by
admitting Albert J. into the firm. Mr. Wing died in May, 1887, and the present
firm name of Wing Brothers & Hartt was adopted. Albert Wing was a director in
the First National Bank and one of the leading business men of Albany. He mar-
ried Maria Carle of Charleston, Montgomery county, N. Y., who died November
16, 1895. They had three children ; Kate A., James C. (who died in March, 1893)
and Albert J.

Goold, James, was born in Granby, Hartford county. Conn., in the year 1789.
When he was four years of age his parents removed to Stephentown, Rensse-
laer county, where he remained until he was ten or twelve years of age. In the
winter of 1804 he went to Troy, N. Y., as an apprentice in the bookbinding es-
tablishment of Obadiah L. Penniman & Co. " He left Troy shortly after and removed
to Pittsfield, Mass., where he entered the carriage factory of William Clark and



52

commenced to learn the trade that was to be his life work. After eighteen months'
service, Mr. Clark failed and Mr. Goold engaged himself to Jason Clapp and com-
pleted his trade. In August, 1809, he went to Coxsackie, N. Y., where he worked
for JohnR. Vandenburgh. The following winter he attended school at Lebanon,
N. Y., and in May, 1810, after visiting New York, Newark and other places, in search
of employment, he reached New Haven and worked with various firms until the
following December. After a brief visit to his home in Stephentown, he worked for
L. Thrall in Troy. April 15. 1813, he moved to Albany, N. Y., and commenced
business on the corner of Maiden Lane and Dean street, on ground now occupied by
Stanwix Hall. The building was leased from the late Peter Gansevoort; two years
afterward, owing to increased business, Mr. Goold leased premises on Division
street, below Broadway, then known as South Market street. In 1833 he moved part
of his business to new buildings on Union street and in 1836, after having erected a
sufficient number of buildings, he moved the entire plant thither. May 25, 1838,
the works on Union street were totally destroyed by fire, and such was the feeling
of sympathy that a meeting of citizens was called, at which meeting a committee
was appointed which tendered to Mr. Goold a loan of a large amount, without in-
terest, to enable him to re-establish his business; needless to say, all this money was
duly paid back, in the required time. Since the rebuilding at that time the business
has been continued uninterruptedly, with the exception that after Mr. Goold'sdeath,
the plant was moved from Union street t.^ lower Broadway, where it is now located
and doing business under the name of the James Goold Company, William D. Goold
being president. In 1814 Mr. James Goold was married to Elizabeth, daughter of
Samuel Vail. They lived together to celebrate not only their golden wedding, but
the sixtieth anniversary as well. Such was the feeling existing between Mr. Goold
and his employees, that when he celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of the establish-
ment of the business, they presented him with a silver service. He was one of the
oldest members of the Young Men's Association and served one term in the Common
Council as alderman, having been elected by the Whigs. He was a prominent
member of the Second Presbyterian church. He died October 1, 1879, in his ninetieth
year, having won the respect and esteem of all who met him, and many were the
hearts saddened by his demise.

Jones, Andrew B., son of Benjamin G. and Almira E. (Morhouse) Jones, was born
in Whallonsburg, Essex county, N. Y., May 19, 1840, and when very young moved
with his parents to Clintonville, Clinton county, where he received a district school
education. When thirteen he entered a general store as clerk, and when sixteen
spent about six months at the- Keeseville Academy. In 1858 he becfime a clerk in a
general store in Shushan, Washington county, and later was a clerk for George Bristol
& Co., dry goods dealers in Troy, where in 1862 he became bookkeeper and cashier
for Moore & Nims, booksellers, with whom he remained eight years. In the spring
of 1870 he engaged in the whole^le millinery business in Albany, as a member of
the firm of Heller & Jones, but five years later sold out and became a partner in the
Hudson Valley Paper Company, wholesale paper dealers. In the year 1862 Mr.
Jones enlisted as a member of Co. G, 24th Regt. N. G. N. Y., and was later appoint-
ed successively quartermaster-sergeant, commissary of subsistence, and quarter-
master of the regiment. He is a vestryman of St. Paul's P. E. church of Albany.



53

In 1871 he married Alice Louise, daughter of Pomeroy Tucker of Pahiiyra, N. Y. ;
she died June 10, 1891, leaving four children: Lucy Elizabeth, Alice Frances, Flor-
ence Juliette and Sydney Tucker.

Johnson, James C, is of English and Dutch descent and a son of Peter and Abigail
(Verplank) Johnson, and was born in Greene, Chenango county, N.Y., August 28, ISiJO.
His grandfather, Isaac I. Johnson, was a farmer m New Scotland. His mother was
a daughter of David I. and granddaughter of Isaac Verplank and a cou.sin of Hon.
C. J. Colvin, the father of \'erplank Colvin, the present State surveyor. Mr. Johnson
was educated in the common schools of New Scotland, Albany county, where the family
settled about 1837, and in Albany, whither they moved in 1843. His father died at
Schodack Landing in February, 1881. Pursuing his studies at the Albany Academy he
finished his education at a private school kept by Mr. Helm. He read law with Craw-
ford & Phelps of Cohoes, and with Cole & Geissenheimer of New York city, and was
admitted to the bar in 1853, in the same class with Chester A. Arthur. He practiced
law in New York and Cohoes until 1856, when he came to Albany, where he has since
resided, being associated at different times with W. C. McHaig and Hon. Galen R.
Hitt. In politics he is a Democrat. In October, 1857, he married Lydia A. Palmer-
ton of Ballston, N. Y., who died in 1866, leaving one child, since deceased. He
married, second, in January, 1871, Loretta C. Markle, of New Salem, Albany county,
and they have two children : James Howard and Mary Loretta.

Lawyer, George, is a descendant of Johannes Lawyer, who came from Holland to
Schoharie, N. Y., about 1700 on a surveying expedition, and whose son, Johannes
H., was granted 36,000 acres of land in what is now Schoharie county, by King
George II. The latter was commissioned by Governor Tryon in 1772 ensign in
Shaffer's Company of Foot and by Sir Henry Moore, Bart., ensign of Grenadiers.
He served as lieutenant in the 15th N. Y. Regt. through the Revolutionary war, as
did also his son Jacob, who was an ensign. Jacob I. Lawyer, son of Jacob, suc-
ceeded his ancestors as a large land owner in Schoharie, and married Nancy Spraker,
who died in 1.S84, aged 101. Their son, George, who is living at Schoharie Court
House at the age of ninety, owns much of the ancestral grant. Dr. James Lawyer,
son of George, practiced medicine in New York city and at Middleburgh, N. Y., and
was for SIX years treasurer of Schoharie county, where he died November 26, 1890.
During the Rebellion he was assistant surgeon in Bellevue Hospital. He married,
first, Eliza J. Irwin, who died in 1880, leaving an only son, George, of Albany. He
married, second, her sister, Mrs. Marion K. Case, who survives. George Lawyer,
born in New York city, September 34, 1864, attended Schoharie Academv, was
graduated from Hamilton College in 1885, vvi'.h membership in Phi Beta Kappa, and
read law with Judge S. L. Mayham, of Schoharie Court House. He was graduated



Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 86 of 138)