Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 88 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 88 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

destroyed by fire and his partner went to Meriden, Conn. In 1893 he opened the
store where he is now located. He was elected inspector and is now filling the office
of town clerk. In October, 1858, he married Sarah Ann Perry, daughter of Casper
Perry, of New Scotland, by whom three children have been born: Elveretta, Emma
J., who died when ten years of age, and Levi W.

Leonard, Daniel, was born October 3, 1839, and came to Albany in 1854 frcmi
Springfield, Mass., in which neighborhood his family resided" from the settlement of
Springfield in 1636, and where John Leonard, his ancestor, was killed in King
Philip's war in 1676. The family was allied to many of the early Connecticut and
Massachusetts families, Mr. Leonard being in direct descent from Governor William
Bradford of Plymouth. On commg to Albany he took a position in the Mechanics'
and Farmers' Bank, in the building then standing next north of the site of the post-
office, and was made teller of the bank before reaching his majority. In 1867 he
entered the firm of J. G. Cotrell & Co., and in 1878, after the death of J. G. Cotrell,
Edgar Cotrell and Daniel Leonard, who were brothers-in-law, formed a partnership
and continued the business under the style of Cotrell & Leonard until Mr. Cotrell's
death in 1890. The firm now consists of Mr. Leonard and his two sons, Edgar C.
and Gardner C. Leonard and the firm name is retained as Cotrell & Leonard. In
1867 the business required only a three story building at 46 State street and was


purely local. In 18T0 the firrn erected a five story building on the same lot, made
necessary by the growth of its wholesale business. Still larger quarters being neces-
sary the firm purchased and removed to the present location, 472 and 474 Broadway,
in 1884 ; and from year to year have been compelled to connect upper stories in the
liuildings on either side of them until now their business occupies space equal to ten
stories of their present store. Mr. Leonard is president of the Albany Safe Deposit
and Storage Co. ; vice president and treasurer of the Mutual Fire Insurance Co.;
treasurer of the State Street Presbyterian church ; a charter member of Fort Orange
Club; a member of the Society of Colonial Wars, and a trustee of the Mechanics'
and Farmers' Savings Bank. He is a man of quiet and reserved manner who finds
his greatest recreation in his family and home life.

Harris, Morris, was born in Albany in 1857, a son of Ale.xander, who was a native
of Russia, born in 1820; he was an only child and came to the United States when a
young man and settled in Albany. He soon engaged at selling goods throughout
the county, which he followed with success until his death in 1877. His wife was a
native of the same place ; they reared si.x children ; his wife now resides in New York
city. Morris, the subject of this sketch, was the fourth of his father's children. He
attended the public schools in Albany until fourteen, when he engaged in the ton-
sorial business, and four years later in partnership with a younger brother, under the
firm name of M. Harris &- Co., he engaged in the manufacture of cigars, Mr. Harris
acting as traveling salesman, while his brother superintended the manufacturing.
Their business increased in small proportions until they employed from twenty to
thirty makers. This business they followed successfully for seven years. In 1884
lie purchased a hotel interest in Voorheesville, closed his cigar business, and since
that time has spent his time catering to the public as hotel proprietor. In 1889 he
purchased his present building, which he converted into the hotel he now conducts.
His house is well known to public travelers, from which he enjoys a most liberal
patronage. His hotel hall has always been used as a court house in that village,
and is noted for the many political conventions held in it since his proprietorship.
In the spring of 1896 Mr. Harris was one of the promoters of the shirt factory in his
village, the capital being subscribed by the residents; he readily became one of the
stockholders, and was elected treasurer of the company ; also a stockholder in the
Voorheesville Canning and Preserving Co. He is one of the five charter members
who organized the Odd Fellows Lodge in Voorheesville. He was the first represen-
tative of the lodge in the Grand Lodge in October, 1886; also a member of Noah
Lodge F, & A. M.,Altamont, N. Y. He married Miss Elizabeth Mendelson. who
was born in Ulster county, a daughter of Jacob Mendelson.

Emery, John W. , son of John P. and Betsy (Thing) Emery, was born in Kennebunk,
Me., October 29, 1856. He is a descendant of English ancestors who .settled in York
county. Me., early in the seventeenth century. He was educated in the public schools
and in 1874 completed the course of instruction at the Boston Business College.
For the two years following he engaged in the real estate business at Hyde Park,
Mass., and at the end of that time he entered the establishmentof S. B. Thing& Co..
shoe dealers of New York city. He was subsequently sent to branch stores at Syr-
acuse, Auburn and Binghamton. In the latter city he was given the management
of the store and was manager of the Elmira store for five years, from which city

he moved to Troy, N. Y., where he entered the partnership of S. B. Thing & Co.,
and had at that time the supervision of fifteen retail stores. While at Troy Mr.
Emery resided in Lansingburgh, and was elected a member of the Board of School
Trustees of that village. August 1, 1896, he retired from the firm of S. B. Thing &
Co., and purchased the Albany and Schenectady branches, which are now conducted
in his name. July 20, 1881, he married Bessie Linaberry of Binghamton, N. Y., and
they have three children: Wesley M., Samuel B. and Angle E.

Ogsbury, Junius D., and John D., comprise the Enterprise Company, editors and
proprietors of the Altamont Enterprise, and are kinsmen. Junius D., the senior
member of the company, was born in the town of New Scotland, February 14, 1857.
James, the father of Junius D., was born in Guilderland in 1832; his wife was
Almira Wands and their children were Junius D., Maggie, Stanley, William, Ella,
George and Jennie. He died in 1890 and his wife survives him and resides in Alta-
mont, where they were both members of the Lutheran church. Junius D. was reared
in the village of Altamont, attended the village school, and when eighteen spent a
year in Michigan with an uncle who conducted a printing office, where he acquired
his first practical knowledge of the art of printing. Upon his return he engaged in
school teaching and clerking for a few years, and in 1885 purchased the Enterprise,
which was then but sixteen months old and known as the Knowerviile Enterprise.
A year later he associated with him his present partner, a cousin, John D. He is an
Odd Fellow and one of the consistory of the Lutheran church. In 1880 he married
Anna, daughter of James Ostrander of (luilderland, and they have five children:
James, Nettie, William, Junius, jr., and Charles. His wife died in November, 1893,
In August, 1896, he married Margaret J. Bell, a daughter of the late Chauncey Bell,
of Rensselaerville. John D. Ogsbury was born in the town of Guilderland, August
31, 1856. His father. John P., was born in Guilderland, November 7, 1818. In 1839
he married Margaret J. Van Valkenburgh, a daughter of Johoicam Van Valken-
burgh, and their children were Charles A. (who died when two years old). Peter J.,
Mary C. (who died when twelve years old), David Clayton (who went west and be-
came city marshal of Silverton, Col. ; he was called upon in August, 1881, to make
an arrest of a party of ruffians and was fired upon by one of the party and killed;
his body was brought back for interment and now lies in the family cemetery in the
old Helderberg Cemetery), Ella (wife of Peter Vanderpool), and John D. John D.
received a common school education and his life was spent on the farm until twenty-
six years of age, when he went on a canvassing tour through the South and
In 1885 he engaged in the furniture and undertaking business in Altamont, and in
December, 1886, he purcha.sed a half interest in the Enterprise. He is a Republican
and filled the office of the first village tax collector. He is a member of the Knights
of Pythias and the Altamont Reformed church, in which he is deacon. June 1, '
1885, he married Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Francis Brunk of Guilderland, and
their children are Bessie Margaret, De Witt Clayton, Milton J., Merlin L., John P.,
and Howard F.

Haswell, Leah E., is the widow of John B. Haswell and daughter of Albert I.
Slingerland, who was one of the builders and promoters of the growth of Slinger-
lands, where he was a farmer and large real estate owner. He was for some years
engaged in the lumber business in Albany, Vnit returned to Slingerlands in 1875,

where he remained until his death, in June, 1890. He left two daughters: Catherine
(Mrs. Ur. Frasier of Amsterdam), and Leah E. (Mrs. John E. Haswell), who has re-
mained on the old homestead since the death ot her husband in 1880. Mr. Haswe[l
was a son of Joseph and grandson of Edward Haswell, who was among the early
settlers of Albany county,

Mann, Benjamin A., born in Albany June T, 1854, entered in the employ of Mann,
Waldman & Co. in 18(i8. The firm then consisted of Aaron Mann. Isaac Waldman
and Joseph Mann, who founded the business in 1851. In 1884 Benjamin A. Mann
was admitted to the firm. The business originally comprised both dry goods and
millinery; about 1857 the latter department was discontinued, and in 1860 the manu-
facture of cloaks was commenced, and the business was placed upon broader lines,
a wholesale branch being added and the retail and wholesale business was continued
to January, 1896, with unvarying success. In the spring of 1896 the stock was com-
pletely sold and was marked by the retirement from active business of the three
original members of the firm, Aaron Mann, Isaac Waldman and Joseph Mann. The
retail business of the firm was given up and the wholesale only is to be carried on
by Benjamin A. Mann, under the old style and firm name of Mann, Waldman iV
Co. The business will make a specialty of hosiery and underwear of all kinds,
domestic and foreign ; Mr. Mann's connection with mills for the many past years giv-
ing him exceedingly favorable opportunities to make satisfactory arrangements. Mr.
Mann is a director of the Alpha Knitting Co., Schenectady, N. Y., and is secretary
of the Hudson River Aniline Color Works of Greenbush, Mass. Mann, Waldman &
Co. will occupy the old quarters of the wholesale department, namely the third and
fourth lofts over 54, 56 and 58 South Pearl street, which are connected by a passen-
ger elevator with their sample room, 75 Hudson avenue.

Slingerland, Hon. William H., of Slingerlattds, Albany county, is descended from
Tunis Cornelius Slingerland, who came from Amsterdam, Holland, to what is now
Bethlehem in 1650, (see sketcl. of the late Hon. John I. Slingerland in this volume),
is a son of John A. and Leah (Brett) Slingerland, and was born November 13 1820,
and has always lived in his native town, Bethlehem. His chief occupation has been
that of an e.xpert civil engineer and surveyor. He was member of assembly in 188(1
and originated and successfully carried through several local and general laws of
great benefit to the people. He was subsequently three times unanimously nomina-
ted for the assembly, but declined the nomination each year, preferring to follow his
profession to entering the field of politics. He was civil engineer of the United
States government building in Albany, and when the stability and permanency of
the beautiful assembly ceiling was in question in 1881-83 and 1887, he was appointed
by the Legislature to take measurements of the new Capitol, make examinations
and report upon any possible defects in the structure. In each of his reports he
challenged the stability of the assembly ceiHng, and in the last one warned the as-
sembly of its dangerous condition and requested its removal, while other experts
claimed its permanency. These reports were afterward verified, the ceiling was re-
moved and a new one ai recommended by him was substituted. Mr. Slingerland
was also, in 1890, appointed and authorized by the War Department of the United
States government to negotiate for the purchase by optional contracts of the farmers
for one year, of a territory of about ;),500 acres, being one mile in width by ten


miles long, comprising parts of the towns of Watervliet and Guilderland, to be used
by the ordnance department for a proving ground in connection with the Watervliet
Arsenal, and his report and map of the territory as selected by him, and options
taken for the same, were unanimously adopted by the War and Ordnance Depart-
ments of the United States government, and Major Scofield of the army, and unan-
imously recommended by them to Congress and for an appropriation to pay for the
land so taken by him ; but Congress at that time failed to make the appropriation,
yet It is still thought by the authorities that these lands will yet be taken for that
purpose in connection with Watervliet Arsenal in place of Sandy Hook. He was
one of the chief originators and founders in 1850 of the village of Slingerlands,
named after the family, and secured a post-office and other improvements there.
During the historical pageant of 1894 in Albany, he represented the great ancestor
of the Slingerlands in the reproduction of the installation of the first mayor of that
city. In 1842 he married, first, Elizabeth Wayne, and had five children: John H.,
assistant engineer on the New York Croton Aqueduct, who married Alice Preston ;
George W., superintendent and assistant general manager of the National Express
Company of New York, who married Rosalia Mattice ; Helene. who married Hiram
Bender in 1882 and died in December, 1884; Lizzie W.. who married William H.
Coughtry in 1895, and William H., jr., a civil engineer and surveyor, who married
Alice Bullock in 1896. Mr. Slingerland married, second, in 1868, Maria, daughter of
Andrew Whitbeck.

Cary William M., is a native of West Troy, and was born May 28, 1866. He is the
son of Joseph C. Cary, who served in the Rebellion in the 104th N. Y. Vols., and has
been a compositor on the Times for thirty years. William M. Cary began the up-
holstering business in 1890, which he continued for two years, when he engaged in
undertaking in which he has been successful. He received his education in West
Troy, and is an exempt fireman, and is held in high repute both in social and busi-
ness circles, as a man worthy of the confidence and respect of his fellow citizens.

Tompkins, Charles M., is the .son of Alva C, grandson of Abraham W., and great-
grandson of William Tompkins, who came from Dutchess county to Albany county
about April, 1788. Mr. Tompkins, after graduating from the Normal School in 1879,
entered the law office of Newcomb & Bailey, January, 1881, where he read law and was
admitted to the bar in 1884. He then came to the village of Coeymans and entered into
a law partnership with Stephen Springstead, and .since the death of Mr. Springstead,
in 1891, has continued the business alone. He married Margaretta, daughter of
Francis Nodine, and has two children: Alva M. and Frances J.

Thayer, Hon. Lewis V., was born at Glens Falls. N. Y., April 28, 1862. His
father was Lewis Thayer, born in Luzerne, Warren county, N. Y. , and is now en-
gaged in active business in the city of Troy. His mother was Catherine Van Huesen,
a native of Rensselaer county, who died at the age of forty-four. Lewis V. Thayer
was a studious boy; he first attended the public schools of Troy and afterward the
Business College in that city. After completing a practical education he entered the
employ of the National Express Company as a messenger boy in the cashier's office,
from which humble position he rose to higher positions, finally establishing and
managing express agencies at Plattsburg and Glens Falls, handling large amounts
o£ money, of which he never lost a dollar. In this capacity he served several years,


when, in 1887, he was seriously injured in a raih-oad accident, which confined him to
his bed for two years and nine months. His recovery, through the aid of the noted
Dr. Sayre, was complete, and was considered almost miraculous, so severe was the
injury to his spine. He ascribes much of the success of his cure to the tender and
faithful care of his devoted wife. After his recovery he engaged with his father in
the livery business, in which he is still interested, with stables and offices in Troy.
Mr. Thayer ha#always been a firm Republican, though not a politician. In Octo-
ber. 1894, he was nominated for sheriff of Albany county, and was elected by a
plurality of .5,784, and entered upon his duties January 1, 1895. Sheriff Thayer
])(>ssesses e.xcellent executive ability, and is endowed with the best traits of character
as displayed in the various walks of a useful, honorable life. He is a member of all
the Masonic bodies, the Elks, the Red Men, the Troy Yacht Club, the Y. M. C. A. of
West Troy and of the Presbyterian church of the latter place. He married on April
;!0, 1884. Miss Elizabeth A., daughter of Robert Hunter, an influential citizen of
West Troy. They have one daughter, and reside at Twenty-fourth street and
Eleventh avenue. West Troy.

Gleason, John H., was born in the city of Troy, February 25, 1857, and was edu-
cated at the Academy of the Christian Brothers, supplemented by a course at Troy
Business College. When about nineteen he began the study of law with A. D. Lyon,
of Troy, afterward entering the office of Judge Landon in that city. After three
vears' association with Hon. Galen R. Hitt, he was admitted to the bar early in
1880, and opened an office at West Troy, where his manifest abilities received earlj-
recognition by an appointment to the position of corporation attorney of West Troy,
which he filled for three years with much credit. Joining the ranks of the Albanian
legal fraternity in January, 1892, he continues the active practice of his profession
in the capita! city and is now the city attorney of the new City of Watervliet, where
he resides.

Graham, Hugh, one of Cohoes's most prominent business men, began life without
a dollar. He was born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1844. He vifas brought up to the
hardware, seed and grocery business, a son of a farmer in his native county, and
upon coming to Cohoes in 1864 he accepted a confidential clerkship in a wholesale
grocery. In 1868 he began business for himself on Willow street, as Stanton & Gra-
ham. The grocery business became so extensive that a large, handsome store was
erected. Later his partner sold out to Mr. Conway, who died in 1896 when Mr.
Graham also left the business. In 1888 he purchased the plant of the American
Soap Company, and with Mr. Andrae the industry has become an extensive one,
now known as the "American Soap & Washoline Company," of which Mr. Graham
is president. He is a trustee of the Manufacturers Bank, a member of the City Hall
Commission, one of the first commissioners of the Hospital Commission, an organ-
izer and director of the Cohoes City Railway, president of the New York State Re-
tail Men's Association, 1888, and was re elected again in 1892, and presi-
dent of the Cohoes Business Men's Association four years, 1888 to 1892.

De Freest, Charles R., was born in Troy, N. Y., July 24, 1852, and is a .son of
David De Freest of North Greenbush, Rensselaer county, N. Y. He attended the
public schools of North Greenbush and Troy, and graduated from the Troy High

School in 1869. He first engaged as a reporter on the Troy Daily Press, where he
he remained two years, resigning to accept a similar position on the Troy Daily
Times. For a number of years he was the city editor of the same paper. Subse-
quently he became editor of the Troy Northern Budget. When the Hon. Edward
Murphy, jr., was elected mayor of Troy, in 1875, Mr. De Freest was appointed city
clerk. He was afterward made deputy comptroller and was connected with the Troy
city government during Mr. Murphy's mayoralty. For eighteen years he was a
member of the Democratic Central Committee from the Third ward in Troy. In
1887 he was made clerk of the Democratic State Committee, which position he re-
signed in 1896. In 1891, '92 and '93, he held the Assembly clerkship. On January
1, 1894. Mr. De Freest was elected secretary of the Board of Railroad Commissioners
and has since held the position with ability and success. He is a vice-president of
the Holland Society of New York city, a life trustee of the Young Mens Association
of Troy and an active member of a number of social organizations.

Flagler, Peter H., was born in the town of Westerlo. in 1840. John, his grand-
father, came from Dutchess county to Albany county and settled in Westerlo on a
farm about 1800. He reared seven children: Peter, Daniel, John, EH, Julia, Kate,
and Elizabeth. Peter, the father of Peter H., grew to maturity in the town of
Westerlo and was a farmer by occupation. In 1840 he represented his district in the
Legislature. He died in 1866 ; his wife was Letta Lawrence, daughter of William
Lawrence of Westerlo. Their children were Chester, Morgan, John, William. Julia-
ette, Peter, H., and Almira. The mother died in 1893 at the age of eighty-nine.
Peter H. spent his early life on his father's farm, and attended common schools and
Fort Edward Collegiate Institute. He began for himself as a farmer, which he fol-
lowed until 1882; in 1866 he came to the town of New Scotland, and removed from
his farm to the village of Clarksville in 1882, where he has since resided. For a num-
ber of years he was a dealer in agricultural implements, and for five years manu-
factured shirts by contract, in the village of Clarksville. By profession he is an auc-
tioneer of about thirty years' experience. During President Harrison's administra-
tion he received his appointment as postmaster at Clarksville, which came as a surprise
to him as he had not applied for it. He takes great interest in educational matters
and is school trustee of his district. He is one of the most active workers on the
proposed Albany, Helderberg, and Schoharie Electric Railroad, and is also one of
the promoters and stockholders of the Canadian Pacific Railroad, from New York to
Ogdensburg. In 1860 he married Miss Julia A., daughter of Elsbree Jones of New
Scotland, by whom one child has been born, Millie, wife of R. Clinton Bagley, who
is a merchant of Clarksville. Mr. Flagler has been superintendent of the M. E.
Sunday school for over twenty years, and is also president of the town of New Scot-
land Sunday School Association. In 1895 he received the appointment of deputy
sheriff and court officer of his town for k terra of three years, wh'ch duties he per-
formed to the entire satisfaction of all. Mrs. Flagler is a member of the Ladies'
Aid Society.

Hallenbeck, John E., was born in 1845. He was the son of Abraham and the
grandson of Ephraim Hallenbeck, who came from Holland and settled in Bethlehem,
and died leaving three sons; John, Charles, and Abraham, who came to Coeymans
in 1857, and settled on the farm that J. E. Hallenbeck now owns. Mr. Hallenbeck


remained on the homestead and farmed it until 1882 vvhen he moved to Coeymans
Landing, where he has since carried on a delivery and express business. Mr. Hal-
lenbeck has been deputy sheriff of the town for nine years, and is also special trans-
fer officer for the West Shore Railroad. He has one son, G. W. Hallenbeck, who
is associated with him in business.

Lockvi-ood, Leander S., born in the town of Westerlo, November 4, 1833, is the
son of Samuel and Margaret (Swope) Lockwood, both natives of Westerlo. The
parents of Samuel, Ira and Betsey (Utter) Lockwood, came from Connecticut and
were pioneers of South Westerlo. He was a farmer and wheelwright. The mater-
nal grandparents were Frederick and Adria (Whitmarsh) Swope. who lived in
Westerlo and removed to Oneida county, where Mrs. Swope died, when he moved
to Herkimer, then to Oneida county, where he died. The parents of Frederick,
John and Katie (Teeter) Swope, came from Germany when young and settled in
Eastern New York. Samuel Lockwood was a farmer of Westerlo, born in 1800 and
died May 31, 18^5. In politics he was a Whig, then a Republican, and a member of
the Christian church. Mrs. Lockwood was born in 1803 and died in 1897. Leander
S. Lockwood was educated at Troy Academy and in 1860 married Hannah, daughter

Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 88 of 138)