Copyright
Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 90 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 90 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to haul government supplies to Albany; it later came upon him to transfer the
Oneida Indians from Albany to Oneida, having under his charge a large number
of teams and wagons loaded with Indians and supplies. He gave the land for the
site of the first church built in Albany Co. , called the Jerusalem church. He was twice
married, his first wife was a Miss Weidman, by whom two sons were born Adani
and Garrett. His second wife was Mrs. Jane Hunderman, the widow of a Revolu-
tionary soldier, who lost his life in the war, and they had one son: Henry P. He
divided his farm of 250 acres between his two oldest sons, then purchased another
farm of 100 acres in 1802, on which he moved the next year and there spent his re-
maining days with his son Henry. He died in 1826 and his wife hved to be ninety-
six ye^rs of age. Henry P., the father of John Bradt, was born in Bethlehem, Jan-
uary, 1796, and was a lifelong and successful farmer and property owner. He pro-
vided each of his three sons with a good farm and in 1843 purchased the Uniou-
ville Hotel and thirty acres and placed his oldest son there. He acquired much
other valuable property and was a strong and influential Democrat, but not an aspi-
rant to office. He was drafted in the war of 1812 and served several months. His
wife was Magdalene, daughter of John Van Der Heyden of Bethlehem, and their
children were: Peter H. Maria, John V. D. H., Jane Ann, Magdalene, William H.
and Louisa K. He died in 1872 and his wife in 1863. John Bradt, grew to man-
hood on his father's farm, and when twenty-six 5'ears of age, in 1847, began for
himself on his Grandfather Van Der Heyden's farm, it being the will of that grand-
parent that the first of his posterity to bear the name of Van Der Heyden was to
have the farm. In 1845 Mr. Bradt married Miss Mary Ann, daughter of Albert V.
D. Z. Slingerland, and in 1867. on account of the ill health of his wife, Mr. Bradt
left the homestead and purchased his present farm at Unionville, where he has
ever since resided. In politics Mr. Bradt has always been a strong and active
Democrat and filled the office of assessor for years. He was a member of the N. V.
State Militia, was drummer and later drum major. His brother Peter was captain
in the State militia and later general; likewise was justice of the peace twelve
years and justice of sessions three terms. Mr. and Mrs. Bradt adopted a daughter,
Lilly B., now wife of Cornelius Vanderzee of New Scotland. Mrs. Bradt was born
October 29, 1820, and died on her birthday in 1890. Since the death of his wife
Mr. Bradt has had his daughter and her husband live with him to keep house and
take charge of the farm.

Bailey, Asa, was born in Bethlehem in 182."i and is the son of James and grandson
of Ephraim Bailey, who came from Connecticnt to Bethlehem in 1783 and settled at
Becker's Corners, where he died in 1828 and left eight sons: Solomon, Amos, Reuben,
James, Edmond, Smith, Ephraim and John. James had four sons: Charles, Will-



iam, Rensselaer and Asa, who still lives on the homestead where his father settled
in lf^36 and died in 1851. Asa Bailey has one son, Richard K., who now carries on
the farm.

Brink, Levi L., was born in Wyoming county. Pa., January 11, 1845. In 1856 his
parents removed to Susquehanna county where he was inured to the life of a farm
lad on his father's i farm until August, 1863, when he enlisted in Co. A, 151st Pa.
Vols. This being a short term regiment he was discharged in July, 1863, but re-en-
listed in September in Co. H, 11th Pa. Vol-s., and served until the close of the Re
bellion as second sergeant. Returning to the place of his birth he took up the trade
of a general mechanic, and mastered the duties so well that in less than five years
he was employed by a prominent contracting firm as foreman. Tiring of the roam-
ing life of contractors, on March 1, 1883, he engaged with the motive power depart-
ment of the W. S. Railroad, and on January 1, 1885, was assigned to Coeymans
Junction yard as foreman of inspection and repairs, w'hich position he still holds.
He is a member of seversl fraternal orders and a liberal contributor to charitable in-
stitutions, owns a fine home and is considered well to do.

Conger, Hon. Frederick W., was born in the town of Berne. July 16, 1838. His
grandfather, William Conger, was born in the town of Bethlehem in 1770; he was a
lifelong farmer, spending most of his life m the town of Berne, having gone thither
with his parents; his wife was Margaret McKnab of New Scotland, a daughter of a
Revolutionary soldier, by whom he had eleven children ; he died in 1840, his wife in
1855. Hugh Conger, the father of Frederick, was born on the homestead in Berne
in 1804; he was a farmer and also engaged in the stone industry, owning and oper-
ating his own quarries; he was prominently identified with the Republican party,
tilling the office of justice of the peace for several terms and justice of sessions; in
1867 and 1869 he represented his district in the State Legislature; his wife was Han-
nah Ward, who was born in the town of Berne, on the farm now owned and occupied
by Frederick W. Conger. Her father was Frederick Ward, who came from West вЦ†
Chester county, and their children were Cordelia, Jane, Mariette, Eunice, Frederick
W., Manley W. and Frances M. Mr. Conger was for many years a member of the
Odd Fellows fraternity. Frederick W. Conger attended the common schools and
remained with his parents until he was twenty-two, when he began for himself on
his Grandfather Ward's farm. Here he remained and cared for his grandparents
in their declining years to the time of their deaths, and on this farm he has ever
since resided ; he not only owns this farm, but in 1891 he purchased the original
Conger homestead of 112 acres; he also owns a one-third interest in his father's
homestead and quarry of 117 acres. He is an extensive dealer in flagstone, known
as the Helderberg blue stone; he is also one of the Albany County Blue Stone Com-
pany, doing an extensive quarrying and shipping business. Mr. Conger is a staunch
and leading Democrat and for five consecutive years was elected to represent the
town on the Board of Supervisors. In 1868 and '88 he represented his district in the
Stale Legislature, in 1894 he received the nomination on his party ticket for sheriff
of Albany county, and the times are numerous that he has been chosen delegate to
town. Assembly and State conventions. In 1869 he married Orsavill Cole, who was
born m Berne, a daughter of John and Abigail (Fisher) Cole, and they have two chil-
dren, Hugh and Frank, the former being inspector of election.



Hotaling, John S. , was born in Greene county in 1856 and is the son of William J.
and grandson of Garret, who came from Holland. Mr. Hotaling began life working
by the month on a farm' and by economy and hard work, is now the owner of a fine
farm near Bethlehem Center. Mr. Hotaling's wife was Viola, daughter of Henry
Kulmer, of Bethlehem, and they have three sons and three daughters: J. Walter,
Henr)% William, Jessie, Caroline and Mary.

Littlefield, Edgar, jr., is a son of Edgar and and grandson of Abijah Littlefield.
who came from Connecticut to Rensselaer county and engaged in farming. He had
three sons, Alvin, Sanford and Edgar, who settled at West Troy, where he engaged
in the ice business and in 1889 came to Bethlefiem where he is now engaged in the
ice trade and farming, being assisted by his son, Edgar, jr., who is foreman for Tilly
& Littlefield. They have the largest single ice house on the river.

Main, JamesR., was born in Guilderland, where he now lives, September 15, 184.5.
He is a son of Dewitt C. Main, born in Guilderland, July 23. 1818, one of live sons
and four daughters born to John B., who was born August, 1790, m Stonington,
Conn.; his father was Reuben P., who was a farmer by occupation. John B., tbu
grandfather, lived for a time in Petersburgh, Rensselaer county, and in 1804 removed
with his father to Plainfield, Otsego county, where they settled and worked at team-
ing between that place and Albany; he later settled in the town of Guilderland
where he became prosperous ; he farmed on a large scale; he was an exceedingly
liberal man and gave largely to those who needed his assistance; his house was al-
ways open to travelers, and he and his wife were grand good people and noted
widely for their hospitality ; he finally died a poor man through his generosity to
others, signing papers for others, the payment of which eventually fell upon him ;
he always concerned himself deeply in public matters and was often chosen as dele-
gate to county and assembly conventions; his wife was Elizabeth Lloyd; he died
when eighty-three, she three weeks later at the age of seventy-nine. Dewitt C,
the father of James, was a blacksmith by trade, though devoted most of his life to
farming and lived in the town of Guilderland; he was a good neighbor, an upright
and honest citizen ; his first wife was Marie Riggles, born in the tow-n of Guilderland,
and daughter of Giles Riggles; their children were Charles W., James R., Shel-
iniar D., and Mary E. ; they were both members of the M. E. church; his second
wife was Katurah Warner by whom one child was born, Ida. James R. , the subject
of this sketch, worked on the farm of his father and attended the common district
school winters until fourteen years of age; from that time until twenty-five he worked
at home or by the month for others. He lather purchased the farm of fifty-two
acres on which he was born and where he now resides. Having an active desire to
acquire knowledge he let few opportunities pass; he early identified himself with the
Democratic party and took keen interest in public matters; when twenty-six he was
elected tax collector for the town of Guilderland. and was later elected justice, and
was justice of sessions of Albany county during the years 1877 and 1878; in 1890 was
elected school commissioner in the third district of Albany county and was re-elected
in 1893 and is now filling that office. In 1880 he became a law clerk and student. He
registered under J. H. Clute, and was admitted to the bar in 1887; since that time,
in addition to his official duties and the superintending of his farm, he carries on an
active law practice. Mr. Main is a member of the Ma.sonic fraternity. Wadsworth



Lodge, Albany. lu January, 18T2, he married Miss Alvira E. Reinhart, who was
born in the town of Berne, a daughter of Alexander Reinhart, by whom he has had
two children. Mrs. Yuba Carhart and Dewitt C. Mr. Main has been oneof the trus-
tees of Prospect Hill Cemetery and its secretary and treasurer for many years, and
to whose untiring efforts and influence many reforms and improvements have been
brought about, and the cemeteiy attained to its high standing. He is also a member
of losca Tribe No. 341 Improved Order of Men, and its treasurer. Is also a mem-
ber of the Methodist Episcopal church and an officer therein.

Springsted, William C, is the son of Henry and great-grandson of Jeremiah
Springsted, who came from England and settled on the farm where the Springsteds
now live in 1790, and was a farmer. He died in 1813 and left one son, Stephen, who
died in 183", and left five sons and four daughters; Jeremiah, Oliver, John, Stephen,
Henry, Lydia, Jane, Sally Ann and Mary. Henry remained on the homestead and
IS one of the leading farmers of the town. He has one son, William C, who carries
on the farm with his father, Henry Springsted, He married Elvira Carroll and had
one son and one daughter. William C. and Jane, now Mrs. William D. Fuller.
William C. married Carrie A., daughter of Jeremiah Dean, and has one son and one
daughter. Dean and Jennie F.

Haswell, Dr. George S., was born in 1868 and is a son of Isaac M. Haswell, who
is a farmer. Dr. Haswell was graduated from the Troy High School in 1889, and
from the Albany Medical College in 1892. He began his practice m New York and
then settled in West Troy, where he has won the confidence of a large circle of
people of his native town. Dr. Haswell, although so young, is a Mason of the order
of the Mystic Shrine and the Knights of the Ancient Essenic Order. He was elected
coroner of Albany cpunty in November, 1896. In 1893 he married Alice, daughter of
Edward H. Wiswall of Colonie, by whom he has one daughter, Mildred.

Saxton, Thomas, born at Saratoga Springs. November 18, 1801, son of Nathaniel
and Susan (Smith) Saxton. Nathaniel Sa.\ton came from Long Island to Saratoga
Springs, where he was a farmer. He spent his last days with his son, Reuben,
in Port Byron, Cayuga county, where he died, aged eighty-nine years and eleven
months. At fourteen years of age Thomas Sa.xton came to South Westerlo to live
with an uncle, Thomas Smith, and was a clerk in his store. He remained with his
uncle until he was twenty-three years of age, when he bought property in the vil-
lage, erected a dwelling and engaged in mercantile business, which liefoUowed until
1809, when he sold to R.S. Cryneand Mr. Lockwood. After retiring from mercantile
business he turned his attention to farming, which he followed until his death, which
occurred in 1890 at the age of twenty-eight. He was a Republican and a very strong
temperance man and was for two years supervi.sor of Westerlo and justice for a num-
ber of years. In 1836 he married Sally Baker, who died February 21, 1860, and he
married again, April 7, 1862, Sarah V. Cryne, who still survives him, and gives this
information. Mr. Saxton was a liberal contributor to all churches, and was a member
. of Masonic order. Mrs. Saxton's parents were John and Sarah (Van Vorihas) Cryne,
of Dutchess county. He was a farmer and shoemaker. He came to Schodack
where he married, and his wife died 1838; he then removed to Westerlo, where he
engaged in the shoe and tanning business. He went to Wisconsin and engaged in



farming, where he died 1876 at the age of eighty-eight. He was a Republican in
politics and a Presbyterian in religion.

Trager, Christopher, was born in Germany and came to America in 1854. In 1859
he came to Bethlehem Center, where he has since carried on a wagon and black-
smith shop; he also bought a farm in 1874, which he still owns. He has three .sons
and six daughters: John M. (who carries on the farm), Augustus, George, Anna,
Agnes, Minnie, Louisa, Elizabeth and Maggie. His wife was Elizabeth Lash of
Rensselaer county, N. Y.

Trego, Thomas Markley, A. M., M. D., is the only surviving son of James and
Maria Trego. He was born in the city of New York, August 31, 1847. His ances-
try can be traced back nearly 250 years. His father, who was born in Pennsylvania
on January 1, 1815, is of the seventh generation and descends in a direct line from
his ancestor, James Trego, who was one and the oldest of three brothers and sons of
Peter and Judith Trego, who were born in France about the year 1650. Being
Huguenots and of French extraction, they escaped to England in 1685 during the
persecution and there formed part of the colony of William Penn, emigrating with
him to this country and finally settled in Chester county. Pa. The maiden name of
the doctor's mother was Maria Houghtaling oldest daughter of Thomas C. Hough-
taling of Albany county, N. Y., who is a descendant of a genuine Holland-Dutch
family. His mother, Kathrine Van Bergen, was a descendant of General Salisbury
of Catskill, N. Y. Mr. Houghtailing's ancestors were amongst the earliest settlers
of that coutJty. The same may be said of the ancestry on Mr. Houghtaling's
mother's side, who were of the Van Derzees. The earliest ancestor of this name
occurs as grantee in a conveyance bearing the date April 23. 16.52. In the spring of
1852 the parents of TJr. Trego removed to the village of New Baltimore, Greene
county, where he attended the common school. When he was about fifteen years
old his parents sent him to the Brooklyn Boys' Academy, where he reniamed a year,
and in the fall of 1865 he was placed in the Grammar School connected with Rutgers
College, New Brunswick, N. J. After a year's study he was prepared to enter the
freshman class of the college, and in 1870 was graduated with honor in the class
which celebrated the college centennial. In the autumn of 1870 he commenced the
study of medicine in the office of the late Dr. S. Oakley Van Der Poel of Albany.
When Dr. Van Der Poel was appointed health officer at Quarantine,' New York, Dr.
Trego continued his studies with Drs. Thomas and Edward R. Hun of Albany.
Upon leaving the office of the latter after nearly a year and a half of study, he en-
tered that of Dr. Thomas M. Markoe of New York, meanwhile attending lectures in
the College of Physicians and Surgeons, graduating in 1874. After graduation he
returned to Albany, having been appointed resident physician in St. Peter's Hos-
pital. In the fall of 1875 he resigned this position and opened an office for the gen.
eral practice of medicine in Albany. Dr. Trego has greatly excelled in the treat-
ment of the diseases of children and is on the staff of the Child's Hospital, Albany
Orphan Asylum, Babies' Nursery, and St. Margaret's Home. He is also an attend-
ing physician at the Home for Aged Men. In 1881 he was appointed physician to St.
Agnes's School for Young Ladies. In addition to his great and deserved prominence
in the medical profession he also holds a desirable reputation for accomplishments
and broad cultivation in the field of literature. In the summer of 1878 Dr. Trego,



with his father, crossed the Atlantic and visited Londi)n, Edinburgh, Paris, Ant-
werp, Belgium, Dublin, Berlin and other famous places. In 1878 he was appointed
one of the district physicians, and in 1887 was appointed coroner's physician for the
city and county of Albany and held the office for three years. In 1881 he married
Jessie, the youngest daughter of George W. Carpenter of Albany. Mrs. Trego died
after fourteen months of married life.

Weeber, Christian, one of the self-made men of properly at Loudonville, is of
German birth, having been born at Wuertemburgh in 1839. He was about twenty-
five years of age when he turned his face toward this land of promise, and having
a predilection for the butchering trade, soon found employment in that line in Al-
bany. A business venture in New York resulted in illness and financial disaster,
and he returned to Albany, January 1, 1865, and established himself in business in
a small way. During the succeeding fifteen years he steadily enlarged his trade
and in 1879 was enabled to purchase the handsome place at Loudonville, where he is
now so eligibly situated, with forty-five acres of garden land adjacent. Mr. Weeber
is a citizen of much natural ability and has taught himself to read and write Eng-
lish. He has one son in Denver, Col., and one at Schenectady, both in the market
business, and another son in the bicycle trade at Albany ; also two sons and one
daughter at home.

Janes, Franklin H., born in Albany, July 19, 1854, is a direct descendant of Guido
de Jeanes, a general of the French Confederation, who accompanied Henry H
when he left France to assume the English throne, 1154, and who was rewarded by the
grant of the manor of Kirtland, Cambridgeshire, England. William Jeanes or Janes,
a descendant of Gen. Guido de Jeanes, was born in England, 1610, came to America
and arrived at Boston, June. 1637. He was one of the founders of New Haven, the
covenant bearing his signature; also of Northampton in 1656; died September 30,
1690. One of his granddaughters was the grandmother of Samuel J. Tilden. Will-
iam Janes, the father of William G., Charles H., James E. and Franklin H. was
born at Janes Corners, 1806; married Mary A. Hawley; was the founder of Janes-
ville. Wis., and a captain of New York militia under Governor Throop. Franklin
H. Janes graduated at the Albany Free Academy, 1872. He studied architecture in
Boston and Paris, and succeeded to the business of William L. and William M.
Woollett in 1881. He was made a member of the American Institute of Architects
in 1886. Mr. Janes has designed many notable buildings throughout the United
States, and has sent plans to .several cities in Europe. His was one of a dozen
names mentioned by the Century Magazine as producing the representative types
of modern American architecture. In 1881 he married Laura, daughter of David
Boyd McHench of Albany, N. Y. , and they have one son, David McHench Janes,
born October 10, 1882.

Cole, Ashley W., was born November 23, 1841, in the Forest of Bere, Hampshire,
England. His father died in 1848 and in 1849 his mother came with her family
to the United States. Mr. Cole was educated in the common schools, and soon after-
ward worked at the busiue.ss of manufacturing blacking and ink, and later worked
two years in a brick yard. During the war he enlisted in the 10th Regiment of
New Jersey Yolunteers and at the close of the war, in August, 1865, went into the
oil region of Pennsylvania, obtaining employment at Oil City in running a steam



engine pumping an oil well. While so engaged he completed his studies in short-
hand writing, which he had begun in the army. In 1866 he came to New York
seeking employment in journalism, and in August of that year was appointed on
the staff of the New York Herald. Three years later he became city editor and
held that position until his health became impaired. Mr. Bennett then sent him to
the West Indies and South America on a tour which occupied sixteen months. This
journey required him to visit nearly every West India Island and was extended
down the west coast of South America, through the Straits of Magellan and up the
east coast. Mr. Cole crossed the Andes twice and experienced various adventures
in the form of earthquake, yellow fever and revolution. While at Rio Janeiro he in-
terviewed the Emperor Don Pedro, particularly on the subject of the abolition of
slavery in the empire, the bill providing for which had just been pa.ssed by the Bra-
zilian Parliament. Returning to New York he rejoined the Herald staff, and soon
afterward became managing editor of the Evening Telegram. In 1874 he left the
service of the Herald and joined the .staff of the New York Times, soon after-
ward becoming financial editor of that paper, and later its Albany correspondent.
In 1882 he became private secretary to the late Rufus Hatch, and was identified with
that gentleman in the Yellow Stone National Park enterprise, which, however,
collapsed in 1884, when the Northern Pacific Railroad went into the hands of a re-
ceiver. Mr. Cole then returned to journalism on the staff of the New York Herald,
and remained there until the fall of 1887, when he resigned to organize the city
staff of the Press and became the first city editor of that paper. In 1888 he went
into Wall street as general manager of the Kiernan News Company, a concern
whose specialty was the furnishing by ticker and bulletins of information to bankers
and railway and financial corporations. In the fall of 1894, shortly after Governor
Morton w-as nominated for the governorship, Mr. Cole was invited to be-
come his private secretary, and has continued with him in that capacity
until the present time. He has been a member of the New York Press Club
for over twenty years and was twice elected vice-president. He is also a mem-
ber of the 23d Regiment, N. G. , N. V., of Brooklyn and is now assistant chief of
Artillery, State of New York, with the rank of colonel. He has contributed to
various magazines sketches of the civil war, of foreign travel and of the Yellowstone
country.

Carroll, James H., son of John and Jane (Ballard) Carroll, was born in Albany on
the 19th day of September, 1828. His parents were born in Ireland. His father
arrived in this country in 1824, came to Albany the next year, and commencing busi-
ness in a small way. soon followed his brother in the manufacture of burr mill stones,
on Broadway. He also held several positions of trust, and was highly respected.
His death occurred from an accident in 1851. James H., the subject of this sketch,
was educated in the public and select schools of the city, and in 1844, at the age of
seventeen entered the printing office of Joel Munsell and learned the trade, which he
followed for nineteen years. Being of an active political mind, in 1862 he was
elected supervisor of the old Seventh ward, and afterwards a police commissioner of
the city. In 1863 he was appointed to a position in the post office under Postmaster
George Dawson, and on the passage of the capital police law% accepted the captaincy
of the third police precinct, which he held for nearly two years, resigning in 1867,



Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 90 of 138)