Copyright
Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 92 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 92 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and has several times been a delegate to Democratic State and county conventions.
October 2, 1873, he married Saphronia R. Jones of Kingston. N. Y.. and they have
one daughter: Vira R.

Jacobson, Peter, was born on hisgrandfather'shomestead, September24, 1842. Jacob,
the founder of the family in America, came from Holland before the Revolutionary
war and settled in the town of Bethlehem, where he engaged in farming. His wife
was Maria Yeeder, whom he married in his native place. They reared .six children:



88

Volkert, John, Henry and Simon (twins), Maria, and Jane> Plenry, the grandfather,
was born in Bethlehem in 1773. He was a lifelong farmer and from the time he was
eighteen he lived in Guilderland, where he was fairly prosperous. His wife was
Eve, daughter of Henry Apple, who came to America from Germany, and their
children were Maria, Jacob L., Harriet, Nancy, Eve, Henry, Simon, Margaret and
Jane. He died in August, 1853, and his wife, in 1865. Henry, the father, was born
in Guilderland (on the homestead) in 1810, where he spent his entire life. He also
purchased another farm where Peter Jacobson now resides. His wife was Susan,
daughter of Peter Worraer of Guilderland, and their children were Peter W. and*
Susan M. His wife died in 1846. His second wife was Catherine Beebe, by whom
he had one child, William H. Henry Jacobson died in 1885, and his wife in 1891.
Peter W. attended the common schools and remained on the farm, working for his
father until his death, w-hen the property was divided and he took his present farm
upon which he has since lived, doing general farming and devoting much attention
to the breeding of Jersey and other high grade cattle. In 1868 he married Harriet,
daughter of Philip Ogsbury of Guilderland, and their children are Charles, Anna,
Henry. Susan, and Hattie Kolena. Mr. Jacobson has been treasurer of the Re-
formed church for eleven years, also has acted as deacon and elder, and has been
secretary of the Guilderland Cemetery Association for several years. His wife has
been treasurer of the Missionary Society for seven years.

Kimmey, John B. , is the son of Richard Kimmey, who was formally years en-
gaged in the produce shipping business at Cedar Hill, and was twice member of the
Legislature. He died in 1879 and left two sons: William of New York and John B.,
who remained on the homestead and is a farmer and gardener, and is also postmas-
ter. He has two sons, Myndart V.. and Clarence. Mr. Kimmey's grandfather was
Frederick, whose father, John Kimmey, came from Holland and settled in Bethle-
hem.

Lodge, Barrington, was born October 13, 1828, in Dublin, Ireland. Thomas Pip-
piet Lodge, his father, a native of Carlow, Ireland, was of French extraction and at
an early age enlisted in the English army, with which he participated with Welling-
ton in the battles of Waterloo, Salamanca and Victoria. After Waterloo he married
Adelaide Le Dou, of Gaillefontaine, France, and later went to Newfoundlrnd, where
he received the appointment of ordnance storekeeper under the British government
and there Barrington obtained his education iu private schools. In 1852 Barrington
Lodge came tp Albany, where he has since resided. He was a clerk in the dry goods
jobbing house of Sheldons & Co. in 1852. In 1861 he formed a copartnership with
Henry B., son of Alexander Marvin Gregory, and engaged in the knit goods busi-
ness under the firm name of Lodge, Gregory & Co. In 1882 the firm became Lodge.
Wilkins & Co., and in 1887 it was changed to B. Lodge & Co., which still continues,
Mr. Lodge's two sons, William S. and Charles Y. D., becoming members in 1893.
Mr. Lodge is a great lover of literature, well versed in history, political economy,
biography and science, and from the age of fifteen has written much for the press.
For poetry and versification he possesses unusual talent and has gained a high repu-
tation in this respect. Such poems as "The Perquisition," "Fate," "Altruistic."
"Charity." " It might have been," "Chadidja," " The Boulders of Blue Mountains,"
"Normandie," "The Blue Bell," "A Reverie." " Mary March," and many others



89

exhibit higii poetical instiact and the wide scope of his genius. In 1854 he married
Annie, daughter of John B. Scott and niece of William B. Scott of Albany. She
died in 1886, leaving the two sons previously mentioned. In 1888 he married Chris-
tina, daughter of Alexander Graham of Newfoundland, whom he had not seen in
thirty years, her home being at Balarat, Australia, during that time.

Lawson, Joseph A., son of Isaac and Elizabeth L. (Steere) Lawson, was born in
Albany. December 13, 1859. The family have lived in Albany county for more
than one hundred years, the old homestead in Watervliet, now Colonie, having been
purchased by his great-grandfather, Peter Lawrence Lawson, from the French
refugee. Marquis La Tour; it has always remained in the name and is now owned
by a cousin, Joseph C. Lawson. His ancestors fought in the Revolutionary w^ar and
were with the detachment that captured Major Andre. Isaac Lawson, for many
years a prominent lawyer in Albany, was the Republican nominee for justice of the
Supreme Court in 1887. His wife came from an old Rhode Island family of Eng-
lish descent. Joseph A. Law.son was graduated from the Albany Academy in 1878,
with the highest honors. He read law in New York with Marsh, Wilson & Wallis
and in Albany with I. & J. M. Lawson. and took a course of lectures at the Albany
Law School and was graduated from Columbia Law School in New York city in
May, 1882, wjth the degree of LL. B., and in September of the same year was ad-
mitted to the bar by the General Term of the Supreme Court. He began practice in
New York city, associating himself with the firm of Marsh, Wilson & Wallis. In
1884 he returned to Albany and became a member of the firm of I. & J. M. Lawson
until the fall of 1891, when he withdrew and opened his present office. While a
student at law Mr. Lawson indulged in some newspapei' and magazine work, being
connected as editor and proprietor with the Fort Orange Monthly, and later assum-
ing the duties of editor of the Sunday edition of the Albany Morning Express. As
a lawyer, he has been successful and is possessed of sound judgment and forensic
ability. He is a Democrat and has been active as a stump speaker throughout the
State, and from January to October, 1896. served as Mayor Thacher's first clerk.
He is a charter member of the Albany Press Club ; a member of the Fort Orange
Club, the Albany Camera, Burns, Whist and Chess, and Young Men's Demccratic
Clubs, the Albany Institute and the Albany County Wheelmen ; a sustaining mem-
ber of the Y.M.C.A. ; a member and past master of Masters Lodge, No. 5, F. & A. M.,
and a member of the American Bar Association, and a member and formerl)' secre-
tary of the New York State Bar Association. He has been a member of the Faculty
of the Albany Law School since 1895. Among his most significant achievements
have been his successes as a postprandial orator and campaign speaker of originality
and force. In June, 1885, he married Harriette C, daughter of William E. and
Helen S. Morgan, of Syracuse, and their children are Helen E. and Florence M.

Mears, Kdward Norris Kirk, A. B., M. D., was born in Cambridge, Mass., July 1,
1S70, and is a son of the Rev. D. O. Mears, D. D.. the pastor of the Fourth Presby-
terian church of Albany, N. Y. Dr. Mears attended the public schools at Worces-
ter, Mass.. and was graduated from the Worcester Academy in 1888. He then
attended Williams College and was graduated in 1892. While at Williams Ct>llege
he studied medicine under Dr. L. I). Woodbridge, and after leaving there he spent
one year at Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons. New York city, under



ftO

the preceptorship of Dr. Robert F. Weir. He then came to Albany and studied
with Drs. J. M. Bigelow and A. Vander Veer, and in 1895 was graduated from the
Albany Medical College and received the degree of M. D. He is a member of the
Alpha Delta Phi fraternity and the Albany County Medical Society. He is also
climical assistant in the Albany Medical College and assistant in the genito-urinary
department of the Albany Hospital. June 1, 1893, he married Elizabeth Cooper of
Bennington, Vt.

Marshall, Mrs. P., is the widow of the late Philip E. Marshall, whose death oc-
curred in 1891, at the age of sixty-one years. Mr. Marshall was one of the earliest
business men of Cohoes, taking up a residence there in 1859. He established a dry
goods business there in partnership with Rodney Wilcox. Later he went into the
lumber trade, which is still owned and operated by his widow. Mr. Marshall was
born at Victory Mills, Saratoga county, in 1830, and spent four years in California
before making his home here, where he became a leading citizen, honored by all
who knew him. He was survived by his widow and three sons: Harry A. (deceased),
Charles E., practicing medicine at Lead, South Dakota, and Frederick W., at home.

Oliver, George, is one of the wealthiest men of Cohoes, inheriting with his six
brothers and sisters a large farm property, which they have sold. He has interests
in many parts of the United States, among which are the Oliver Bros. Grist Mill,
flour and feed at 29T Ontario street, brass and iron bedstead manufacturer at Lock-
port, N. Y., Green Island Knitting Mill, phosphate and fertilizers and oil works in
North Carolina, and the oil business at Atlanta, Ga. He was born at Argyle, N. Y.
in 1839, and was the son of John Oliver, a farmer of Cambridge, who died in 1861.
Mr. Oliver was born on a farm in Washington county, came to Waterford in 1839
and to Cohoes in 1860, building a cider mill in 1862. His wife was Isabella Frink,
who bore him three children: Harrison G., Grace, and Marion Ruth.

Pearse, Harry Seymour, M. D., son of Charles W. and Nellie (Skinner) Pearse,
was born in Elmira, N. Y., November 2, 1870. His father was a native of England
and his mother a descendant af the Puritans. He was educated in the Elmira Free
Academy and was graduated from the Albany Medical College in 1892. He then
completed a three years' course on the staff of Bellevue Hospital, New York city.
Dr. Pearse is a member of the Albany County Medical Society and of the Society of
Alumni of Bellevue Hospital, New York. June 10, 1896, he married Cornelia Smith,
daughter of the Rev. Dr; Battershall, rector of St. Peter's church.

Goldring, Samuel, son of William, was born December 29, 1864, in West Dean,
Sussex, England, and came to America in 1886. He was for two years foreman of
the gardening department for W. C. Wilson, on Long Island, and in 1888 he came
to Albany and first engaged in the flower bnsiness on Western avenue, and six months
later formed a partnership with II. G. Eyres as Eyres & Co. They carried on a large
floral business until February, 1895, when Mr. Goldring withdrew and formed a co-
partnership with his brother, Frederick, under the style ol Goldring Brothers.
They have a retail store at No-. 30 North Pearl street, and also run the old Font
Grove green-houses at Slingerlands, where they have over 77,000 square feet covered
with glass; they do both a wholesale and retail business. Frederick Goldring came
to America in 1878 and settled in Albany, where he was for ele\'en years orchid



91

jjrower for Erastus Corning. Both brothers are members of the Society of American
I'lorists and of the Royal Arcanum. Samuel Goldring is district deputy grand
regent of the Royal Arcanum and a member of Wadsvvorth Lodge No. 417. F. & A.
M., Temple Chapter, R. A. M., De Witt Clinton Council, R. & S. M., Temple Com-
raandery, K. T., the Elks and the Albany Press Club. In 1888 he married Miss
Etta, daughter of William Potkora, one of the oldest tlorists in Albany, and their
children are Edith Frederica and Jessica Louisa.

Stedman, Francis W., son of George L. (see sketch) and Adda (Woolverton) Sted-
man, was born in Albany, December 7, 1867, attended the Albany Academy, and in
1884 became connected with the People's Gas Company, of which George A. Wool-
verton was president, and George L. Stedman was vice-president. When they sold
out he became shipping clerk for Tracey Sz Wilson, wholesale grocers, and in April,
1891, he entered the firm of T. M. Hackett & Stedman, coal dealers, whom he suc-
ceeded in 1892. Since 1893 he has conducted exclusively a wholesale business, cov-
ering New York and the New England States. He is sales agent for the coal mined
by David E. Williams & Co., a firm composed of the brother-in-law and son of
George B. Roberts, president of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company. Mr. Stedman
is a member of the Sons of the Revolution through Amos Hooker, whose son, John
Parker Hooker, was the maternal grandfather of George L. Stedman, above named.
Amos Hooker was a corporal in the Revolution, and was killed in service. In Feb-
ruary, 1893, Francis A¥. Stedman married Clara H., daughter of Ralph W. Thacher
of Albany, and they have one son, Woolverton Thacher Stedman. In November,
1896, he became a director and officer of the Albany Art Union of Albany, N.Y.

Nellis, William J., M. D., son of Jacob and Julia A. (Wright) Nellis, was born at
Schoharie Court House, N. Y., September 3, 1855. He was graduated from Scho-
harie Academy in 1873 and then engaged in the jewelry business in Schoharie for
one year. In 1874 he came to Albany as a partner in {he drug firm of J. Nellis &
Sons, from which he withdrew in 1876. While there he read medicine with Dr.
John M. Bigelow and graduated from the Albany Medical College in 1879; since
then he has been in active practice in Albany. He took post-graduate courses in the
New York Polyclinic Hospital and College, in laryngology and rhinology and in the
New York Post-Graduate School in clinical medicine, pathology and diseases of the
nose and throat. He is a member and ex-secretary of the Albany County Medical
Society, a member of the New York State Medical Society and chairman of its com-
mittee of arrangements. He is also a member of the Sons of the Revolution, through
his great-grandfather, Peter Nellis, who served in the 3d Regiment Tryon county
militia, from 1779 to the close of the war; a member of Masters Lodge No. 5, F. &
A. M., the Phi Sigma Kappa, the Fort Orange, Albany Camera, and Albany Coun-
try Clubs, the Mohican Camera Club, and served for three years as fleet surgeon of
the American Canoe Association.

Bell, E. M., M. D., has been a general practitioner at Cohoes since 1893, when he
graduated from the Albany Medical College. He is of French ancestry and son of
Louis Bell, and was born at EUenburg, N. Y., in 1806. He had taken an academic
course before entering the medical college, and is thoroughly prepared for his cho.sen
life work in the healing art. By his untiring devotion to his calling, which he gives,
he has a brilliant future before him. He is at present located at 97 Ontario street.



His wife was Lottie Bennett of Troy, by whom he has one daughter, Edith, three
rears of age, and had one son, Clarence, who died in infancy.

Ford, Charles R., is a son of the late George F. Ford of Cohoes, a well known in-
surance and real estate agent, a man well known for his benevolence and a good
citizen. Mr. Ford' was born about thirty years ago, and as a boy attended the
public schools of the city, from which he left to accept a position with Joseph
Stevens, the newsdealer, where he became a clerk and acted as a newsboy. It
was not long before he received an appointment as general delivery clerk at the
post-office under James H. Masten, the postmaster. Here he served faithfully
for two years until called to a position as messenger in the National Bank in
1884. Mr, Ford served as discount clerk and individual bookkeeper through ad-
vancement until February 1, 1896, when he received the appointment as treasurer
of the Cohoes Savings Institution, one of the most honored positions that can come
to a man, especially one as young as Mr. Ford. It is a position of trust, as the 4,800
depositors, representing nearly §2,000,000 of the people's money, is under his direct
charge. Mr. Ford, while not holding any political position, takes a deep interest in
all public affairs, and is usually found battling for good government. He is record-
ing secretary and a member of the Board of Directors of the Young Men's Christian
Association and is one of its charter members. He is also a member of the Business
Men's Association. As an active member of St. John's church, he has always
taken a prominent part in its advancement, and is connected with many of its
societies. Mr. Ford is also a member of the firm of Ford & Sons, real estate and in-
surance agents, 28 Main street, one of the leading agencies of the city, he havini;
charge of the real estate department.

Foster, E. H., identified with the most successful printing establishment of Albany
county, the well known Foster & Co. printing, engraving and binding, of Cohoes,
Remsen and Factory streets, is a native of Cohoes. He was born in 1849, and is the
son of Samuel H. Foster, a lawyer who came here in 1846 from Albany. The latter
was for many years president of the Board of Education here, holding the position
at the time of his death. E. H. Foster was educated in the public schools here, and
acquired a thorough knowledge of the printing business. He served an apprentice-
ship on the Cohoes Cataract and afterwards became foreman of the composing room
of the Cohoes Democrat. Later he went in business with R. S. Clark of Cohoes;
however, the firm was dissolved and Mr. Foster has controlled the establishment
himself since 1889. Being a man of unusual enterprise, the house stands .second to
none in amount or quality of work accomplished. As a citizen Mr. Fostercommands
the highest respect and is honored by a host of friends. In 1867 he married Mary
MacKerlie of Amsterdam, N. Y. They are the parents of seven children, three of
whom are living — Fred C, Samuel H. and Eugene A. For four years he was a
member of the Board of Hospital Commissioners of the city of Cohoes.

Hayes, Edward, a civil engineer, is also associated with a fire insurance business.
He graduated from Cornell University, Ithaca, N. Y,, with the degree of C. E. He
began practicing in 1878 and held the position of city engineer of Cohoes, N. Y., for
eight years. He is now (1895-1896) the engineer for the Public Improvement Com-
mission of the City of Cohoes, N. Y. He was born in Blossburg, Pa., in IM.'iS, and
has been a resident of Cohoes since 1856.



Hay, Miller, city chamberlain, is a lifelong resident of the city, with whose munic-
ipal government his father, the late James Hay, was also closely identified. Mr.
Hay was born in Cohoes in 184!), and after acquiring a good business education, was
for a short time an employee of a sash and blind factory. In 1869 he joined the fire
department, became foreman, afterward assistant chief and then chief for two years;
he then learned the knitting trade and was engaged in the leading mills of Cohoes;
for one year he was engaged in the county clerk's office under Albert Judson in 1871.
In 18T2 he was appointed mes.senger for Senator Charles H. Adams, with whom he
remained two years and for two years was with William B. Woodin of Auburn, in
intimate contact with the State Legislature, and was of great service as an educa-
tional factor afterward. He conducted a confectionery in Cohoes. In 1878 he was
appointed jailer and served four years, and in 1883 was appointed an inspector of
customs at Albany. He returned to Cohoes in 1886 and engaged in the fruit trade,
but on account of ill health he disposed of his business and went to Europe. In
1890 Mr. Hay was appointed to the responsible office of chamberlain for two years,
and was reappointed, and is on his fourth term, making eight years and is the
present incombent; his duties he has discharged with great credit. He is a
member of Cohoes Lodge No. 116, also president of the Second Ward Republican
Organization, and has beerf on the city committee for twenty-one years, of which
time he was treasurer eight years. He was married in 1875 to Anna L. Greene of
Cohoes, and has had four children; those living are Laura C. Leslie M. and Ruth
Kberly.

Lamb, James, whose death in 1SS.5 was so sorely felt in the city of Cohoes, was
one of its most public spirited and benevolent citizens. He was a native of Scot-
land, and came to America in early manhood and located in Mechanicville, working
in a tailor establishment, which he afterwards purchased. He later engaged in the
same business in Troy, and in 1855 came to Cohoes and entered the employ of R.
(i. Smith. In 1857 he associated with Mr. Leroy, continuing the business for eight
years, and was alone until 1872, when the present Globe Knitting Mill was estab-
lished, under the firm name of Leroy, Lamb & Co. Mr. Lamb was an active poli-
tician, as well as a prominent manufacturer, and was serving his sixth term as
alderman of the Third ward. In the Common Council he w-as a man of marked
ability and an earnest attvocate of all that pertained to the advancement of local
affairs. He was a member of the Sons of Scotia, and was past grand in Egberts
Lodge, K. of P., and also of the I. (). O. F. He left a wife and three children.

McDowell, George H., of the firm of G. H. McDowell iS: Co., who built in 1891 the
Cascade Mills on Van Schaick's Island, is one of the most prominent manufacturers
in Cohoes, where he came with his mother when only three years old, his father,
David McDoNvell, having died when he was an infant. He is of Scotch-Irish descent
and was born at Lansingburgh in 1853. He began business with nothing but his
indomitable courage and presevering efforts with which he surmounted every diffi ■
culty until he has become one of the most esteemed men of his city. Mr. McDowell
first began as a clerk in the National Bank in 1870, then as bookkeeper until 1881,
when he went into the Egberts Woolen Mills as superintendent. In 1882, with
Rodney Wilcox, he bought the business and continued the manufacture of under-
wear, etc., until 1SS4, when Mr, Wilcox sold out to Mr. George Neil, who was again



94

succeeded by H. S. Greene in 1889. He was married in 1878 to Elizabeth, daugh-
ter of John Clute. They have five children. He is treasurer of the board of trustees
of the First Presbyterian church and a trustee of the Cohoes Savings Institution.

Smalling. L. K., has been a resident of Cohoes since the 1st of April, 1866. He
was born in Windham, Greene county, in 1840; his boyhood was spent at Ashland;
he enlisted in Co. F, 120th Regiment, N. Y. Vols., at Hunter, N. Y., in 1862 serving
throughout the war. He was a corporal and participated in the battles of Freder-
icksburg, ChancellorsviUe, where he was wounded. His first two years here were
spent as bookkeeper in the office of O. C. Finney, then with Bogue & Wager, and
was afterward bookkeeper for Hilton & Co. He established the present business
for himself in 1883. For one year he was president of the Merchants' Association
and was commander of the G. A. R. Post for one year. Mr. Smalling has been
notary public for fifteen years. His father was Cyrus Smalling, a contractor.

Smith, M. B., chief of police of the city of Cohoes, is a native of Troy, born in 1843,
but has been a resident here since two years of age. He went on the capital police
force in 1869, remaining on the force most of the time since. In 1892 he reached his
present position, and is regarded as a very capable officer, having the esteem of the
force and the citizens. His first relations with the mills was that of spmner, soon be-
coming foreman of that department. He was also foreman of the Mohawk Engine
Company No. 2 of the Volunteer Fire Department, and is a member of Cohoes
Lodge No. 116, F. & A. M.

Weidman, Malachi, though a native of Berne, N. V., has been a resident of Co-
hoes for over sixty years. He was born in 1828, and was the son of Abram Weid-
man, who was for years associated with the Silliman's Axe Works. Here he was
first employed after the acquisition of a good business education. Later he con-
ducted a retail meat market and was for some years engaged in the lime and cement
trade. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. A, 22d Regiment, N. Y. Vols., as a private and
after two years in service came home an adjutant. He participated in thirteen
battles and engagements without a wound, though a horse was once wounded under
him. After the war he was for eight years engaged in the wool trade, and for the
same length of time served as chief of police. In 1885 he entered his present busi-
ness, wholesale and retail dealer in lime, cement and sewer pipe. In December,



Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 92 of 138)