Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 94 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 94 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

breeding high class stock. In 1867 he married Miss Martha Decker of Columbia
county, a daughter of Francis and Lucinda (Petri) Decker.

Stock, Bernard, was born in Bavaria, Germany, September 1, 1844. After attend-
ing the public schools he was apprenticed to the tailoring trade in Frankfort-on-
Maine. In 1861 he went to London, Eng., to improve himself in his trade until
1871, then came to America, and after spending a short time in New York came to
Albany and tool^ a position as cutter for Walter F. Hurcomb, where he remained
eight years, after which he removed to Toronto, Canada, and was manager and cut-
ter for Score & Son, King street, eighteen months, then returned to Albany to suc-
ceed W. F. Hurcomb in his business under the firm name of Lyman & Stock. Since
the death of Lyman he has continued the busmess at 65 North Pearl street under the
name of Bernard Stock.

Wright, Charles W., was born in the town of Berne, January 21, 1844. Samuel
Wright, his great-grandfather, was the first of the family to settle in Berne ; he was
born in 1758 and died January 9, 1831. Richard Wright, the grandfather, was born
in Berne, January 28, 1793, where he was a lifelong farmer. His wife was Lydia
Vincent. Joshua B., the father of Charles Wright, was born March 28, 1816, where
he also was a farmer, coming into possession of his father's homestead of 100 acres.
He filled the office for some years of commissioner of highways, etc. His wife,
Lucretia Wright, was born in Berne in 1820, and was a daughter of James Wright.
Their children were Wesley, Charles W. and Richard (who died when five years of
age). Joshua R died in 1878 and his wife in 1894. Charles W. Wright grew to
manhood on his father's farm and attended the common schools of his district and a
term at the Knox Academy, and made such progress in his studies that before he


was seventeen years of age he was himself a teacher of a school, which he followed
winters until August 25, 1864, when he enlisted in Co. L, 3d N. Y. Cavalry, and
served until the close of the war. He was in several skirmishes and raids in Vir-
ginia and North Carolina, and the winter of 1864-65 he was detailed as orderly at
the provost marshal's quarters. Soon after his return home he purchased a farm
and followed farming summers and teaching winters, until he had taught in all
twenty-two terms. Durmg those years he dealt to a considerable extent in clover
seed and since then his farming has occupied most of his attention, his farm consist-
ing of seventy acres. Mr. -Wright has from time to time filled the office of inspector
of elections, tax collector two terms, town auditor, and is now filling the office of
deputy sheriff. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Berne Lodge, the Grand
Army of the Republic, Post Charles McCuUough No. 645 of West Heme, of which he
was one of the charter members and of which he is senior vice-commander; he has
also tilled the office of adjutant and junior vice. In 1865 he married Elmira Powell,
a native of Greene county, N. Y. , and daughter of Peter H. and Lucinda (Crandall)
Powell. They have one child, Helen, who married Melville C. Crocker, and has two
children: Minnie and Stanley.

Mackey, Samuel, son of William J. and Eliza (Park) Mackey, was born in the
North of Ireland, December 14, 1846, and came to this country with his parents, set-
tling in Albany, where he attended the public schools, also the old Lawson School
on Clinton avenue. In 1861 he became a clerk in the grocery store owned by Samuel
Pruyn and run by J. M. F. Lightbody, andiater as a tally boy in the lumber district ;
he was subsequently employed in the Winne & Northrup planing mill until Septem-
ber, 1864, when he left and settled in Troy, N. Y., engaging as a clerk for Smith &
Campbell in the grocery business. April 3, 1865, he enlisted in Troy in Co. H, 192d
Regiment N. Y. V. ; he was mustered out as sergeant at Cumberland, Md., October
2, 1865, and returniug home, was engaged as a clerk for Smith & Campbell of Troy
until the spring of 1871, when he engaged in the retail grocery business in Troy,
buying the store of Israel Bickford; he sold out his grocery business in 1873 and be-
came a member of the wholesale fruit and commission firm of Bosworth, Mackey &
Co., of New York city, and in 1874 re-engaged in the grocery business in Troy, ex-
cept one year when he traveled for J. T. Wilson & Co., wholesale grocers of New
York city. In October. 1877. he became a traveling salesman for P. V. Fort, Son &
Co., wholesale dealers in fancy groceries and fruits of Albany, and September 1, 1885,
was admitted to partnership, the firm name becoming P. V. Fort, Sons & Co., which on
September 1, 1889, was changed to C. N. Fort & Co. August 24, 1895, Mr. Mackey with-
drew and formed a copartnership with Mr. Lewis G. Palmer in the wholesale (grocery
business, under the firm name of Mackey & Palmer. He is a 32 Mason, being a member
of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite bodies of Albany— Apollo Lodge No. 13, Apollo
Chapter No. 48, Bloss Council No. 14 of Troy, and Temple Commandery No. 2 and
Cypress Temple of Albany; he is also a member of Lew Benedict Post No. 121, G.
A. R. September 20, 1871, he married Jennie A. Cary of Troy, and they have one
daughter, Elizabeth A.

Moak, James Nelson, was born on the farm he now owns in 1843. Col. Joseph
Moak, his grandfather, was a native of New Scotland, and was born probably about
the year 1783; he was a farmer by vocation, and a soldier in the war of 1813; he


owned the farm now owned by James N. ; his wife was Arianna Taylor, daughter of
Robert Taylor, a native of Ireland; their children were Robert. Jane. France.s.
Rachel, Eve Ann, Catharine. Harriet and John T. ; he died March 28, 1848, aged
about sixty-five, and his wife died in 1830. Robert Moak, the father, spent his en-
tire life on the farm, to which he added forty acres; his wife was Mary McMillen.
daughter of Alex. McMillen ; their children were John M., Joseph A., William Henry
(who died at eighteen), Harriet and James N. ; he was one of the organizers of the
Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, and one of the first trustees; he died in 1891, and his wife
in 1865. James N. Moak has spent his life thus far on the homestead farm, e.Kcept-
ing two years spent in Albany in the shoe business. He attended the common
schools and the Knox and Gallupville Academies. In 1868 he went to Albany, re-
turning two years later to the farm, which he took charge of and worked on shares
with his father, who deeded him the farm to take effect .^n the latter's death. Mr.
Moak has developed a tine stone quarry of excellent building stone. In 1865 he was
married to Miss Mary J. Gallup, born m Gallupville, N. Y., by whom he has had two
children; Charles G. and Kittie L. Charles G. is married and in the employ of the
National Express Company, of Jersey City, and has one child, Clara.

Schultes, J. B., was born in Albany county, March 16, 1840, and is a son of Paul
and Anna E. (Bogardus) Schultes, born in Berne and a son of Adam, a son of one
of the earliest settlers of the town of Berne, where he and the grandfather of J. B.
died. The father has been a farmer and a saw mill man. He died in 1886, and his
wife died in 1890. J. B. was reared on a farm and educated in Berne. He located
in Rensselaerville and engaged in the saw and cider mill business. In 1866 he mar-
ried Miss Elizabeth E. Snyder of Berne, and has one son, Arthur, who was educated
in Rensselaerville.

Slausen, Edwin. — Tryansel Slausen, born in Albany county, N. Y., 1803, was a
son of Eliphalet Slauson, who was one of the early settlers of Westerlo and there
died. Tryansel Slauson was a farmer and .spent his life in Westerlo and Rensselaer-
ville, N. Y., where he was a lifelong Democrat. He married Mary Ten Eyck of
Albany, and they had a family of twelve children, five now living: Caroline B.,
widow of Martin Bell, lives on the homestead; Hannah M. Palmer of Greene county,
N. Y., William, on the homestead, who married Anna Louisa Haines and has one
daughter; Mary E. , widow of William Finch; Lewis, who lives in Illinois, who mar-
ried Wilhelmina Houghton, andhas three daughters; Edwin, born in Westerlo, 1841,
and educated in the common schools, is a farmer, and he and his brother William
own the homestead of 100 acres. He is a Democrat in politics and was excise com-

Smith, Charles W.. son of Cornelius and Phebe (Clute) Smith, was born in Rock-
wood, Fulton county, March 1, 1841), and came with the family to Albany in 1856.
His father was associated with Alfred Van Santvoord in the steamboat business for
twenty years, and/ from 1876 until his death, in 1887, was a heavy dealer in ice. He
was one of the original directors in the Albany County Bank and a tru.stec of the
First Baptist churih for a number of years. After the death of his first wife in 1879
he married Helen M. Sherwood, who survives. Charles W. Smith was educated at
public school No. 8, the Boys' Academy,'s Grand Street Institute and the
Albany Business College, and for two years was purser on the steamer Mary Powell,


from Rondout to New York. After three years as bookkeeper for the Albany
County Savings Bank he became associated with his father in the ice business and
on the latter's death succeeded him. In 1892 he was one of the organizers of the
Hudson Valley Ice Company; he became its president in 1893, but resigned in 1894
in order to take the office of secretary, which had become vacant, and at the last an-
nual election held January 5. 1897, was re-elected to the office of president. This
company was incorporated in March, 1893, with a a capital of $50,000 and is three
times larger than any similar concern in Albany, harvesting about 40,000 tons of
ice annually. In 1880 Mr. Smith married Rebecca L., daughter of Shuball Kelly of
Guilderland, Albany county. He has a summer residence about live miles from Al-
bany on the Great Western Turnpike where he resides about five months in the year.
The rest of the year he spends in the city.

Stitt, James O., is a native of the town of Rensselaerville, Albany county, born in
1856. Lovett, the grandfather, was born in the town of Rensselaerville about 1770.
John J., the father, was born in the town of Rensselaerville in 1814. He always
owned and conducted a farm, but was an architect and builder by trade, to which
he devoted jnost of his attention. He had a wide reputation as a church builder,
having to his credit twenty-eight churches and numerous other buildings. In 18()0
he removed to the town of Windham, Greene county,'where he was prominently
connected with the political affairs of his town, filling the offices of supervisor and
assessor and many minor offices. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Lodge No. 529. His first wife was Miranda Head, by whom four children were
born: Rozella, Ransom, Sarah, who died when eight j-ears of age, and Salina. His
second wife was Lodema Head, a sister of his first wife, and their children were
James O. and Eunice. He died August 19, 1886, and his wife died February 13, 1895.
Mr. Stitt received his education in the common schools of his town and worked on
his father's farm until fourteen years of age, when his father took him and taught
him the builder's trade. He worked with his father from that time, except one year,
until he was twenty-three years of age. November 24, 1879, he was married to
Annie E., born in the town of Windham, Greene county, and daughter of Patrick
Murray. In 1880 he began for himself by engaging in the hotel business at Indian
Fields, in the town of Coeymans, where he remained for eight years. In 1888 he
rented the hotel in Altamont, and two years later purchased it. Since then he has
made many essential improvements on his hotel. Mr. Stitt is a man especially
adapted for the hotel business, and his genial disposition and years of experience
have taught him what is required to make it pleasant for the patrons of his house.
In 1895 he was a delegate to the State Democratic Convention held in Syracuse^ and
of the sixteen years he has been in the business in Albany county, thirteen of them
he has been delegate to the county conventions.

Settle, Theodore, was born in the village of Berne, February 24, 1846. The great-
grandfather of Theodore Settle migrated to America from Berne, Switzerland, and
was one of the pioneer .settlers in the town of Berne (now Knox). Jacob Settle, the
grandfather of Theodore, was a native of the town of Knox. He was a harness-
maker by trade, which he followed throughout his active life. His last years were
spent in the villijge of Berne. He married a Miss Hochstrasser, and they had five
children. The father of Theodore Settle, Jacob Settle, jr.. was born in the town of


Berne in 1792. His parents being poor his education was very limited, and when a
buy he was apprenticed to a Dr. Hubbell to learn the mercantile business and also
was to study medicine; the failure of the doctor to remain in business left him
without a place, but he found other employment and in 1811 was taken in as a part-
ner in the store business by Col. Johan Jost Deitz. From 1811 to 1864 he was en-
gaged in the mercantile business, building up a trade second to none in the town.
He represented his district in the AssemKy, served as supervisor, justice and town
clerk, was for thirty-five years postmaster, and several years commissioner and in-
spector of common schools. May 7, 1818, he was appointed by Gov. De Witt Clin-
ton cornetist of the 5th Regt. Cav. of the State of New York, in 1831 was commis-
sioned as captain, in 1824 was appointed major of the 31st Regt. and in 182.5 was
raised to the position of lieutenant-colonel. He was a member of the Masonic fra-
ternity. His wife was Cornelia R., daughter of Minor Walden, who was one of the
pioneers in Berne, coming from Vermont about 1809, Theodore Settle received his
education in the common schools and spent his early life in assisting m his father's
store. When nineteen years old he engaged as clerk for his brother Charles, who
had succeeded the father in business. After seven years he succeeded his brother
and has since done a very successful business. Mr. Settle has served as town clerk
two terras, postmaster eight 3'ears, and was one of the organizers of an Odd Fel-
lows' lodge in Berne, which after twenty years was abandoned. He is treasurer of
the Albany, Helderberg and Schoharie Railroad, In 1890 Mr. Settle married Kate
L., who was born in Guilderland and is a daughter of Jacob and Alida (Hallen-
beck) Mann. They have one child, Howard E.

Van Heusen-Charles Company, The, was founded in 1843 by Theodore V. Van
Heusen and Daniel D. T. Charles, both natives of Albany, and succeeded to the
crockery business of Wardwell & Bordwell at No. 66 State street. In 1844 they
moved to Nos. 62 and 64 State street and m 1856 they purchased the Mansion House
property on Broadway and built the store since occupied bj- the establishment. The
original firm name of Van Heusen & Charles was changed in 1864 to Van Heusen,
Charles & Co. by the admission of George W. Pierce as a partner. Mr. Charles died
August 1, 1892, and soon afterward the firm adopted is present name of the Van
Heusen-Charles Company. This is the oldest and largest enterprise of the kind in
Albany or Eastern New York and commands an e.xtensive wholesale and retail
trade in fine and ordinary china, bric-a-brac, silverware, lamps, gas fixtures, etc.
Both founders were representative and highly respected business men, and took a
keen interest in the prosperity of their city and its institutions, Mr. Van Heusen,
born in 1818. became somewhat prominent in politics and in 1882 was the Republican
nominee for Congress. He died June 15, 1893. The officers of the Van Heusen-
Charles Company are Charles M. Van Heusen, president; George W. Pierce, vice-
president and treasurer; Leonard Jones, secretary.

Weaver, William J., was born in the town of Coeymans, January 27, 1835, and in
the loUowing year his parents removed to Albany. His parents came frtra Oneida
to Coeymans and were also natives of this State. Mr. Weaver received his early
education in the public schools and at the age of si.xteen, following the example of
his brothers, he went to sea on a whaler for a three years' cruise. This, however,
did not satisfy his longing for the sea, and after a brief visit to his home he again


embarked on a two years' cruise. Returnms: again in 1854, he went into partner-
ship with his father and established a steam packing-box manufactory on the corner
of Cherry street and Broadway, continuing in it from tliat date down to 1871. lu
1863 he was elected Democratic supervisor of the old First ward, and in 1869-70 and
1871 he was chosen to represent the Third ward in the Board of Supervisors and
during the last two years served as president of the board. In 1871 Mr. Weaver
was appointed city assessor by Mayor Thacher and has held the position continu-
ously down to the present time. He was once nominated for the Assembly in the
First district, but withdrew in favor of a rival Democratic candidate on the evening
before election. In the year 1869 he brought to the notice of the Board of Super-
visors the great inequality then existing in the State equalization as it affected Al-
bany county, and was at that time appointed chairman of a committee on State equal-
ization, which position he held continuously until 1895. Mr. Weaver was married in
1856 to Mary A. Allen, by whom he has had six children, four of whom are living.

Miller, Henry, jr., is a son of an old and representative citizen, and was born at the
family residence in Colonic, May 11, 1871. His father, Henry Miller, was of German
birth, and was one of the early settlers here. He has become a very large land
owner and is also interested in the sale of various types of agricultural machinery.
Mr. Miller, jr., now conducts the dairy business, delivering the milk from about fifty
cows, chiefly in the village of Green Island.

Marshall & Wendell Piano Forte Manufacturing Company (Ltd.), The, was
founded in 1853 by John V. Marshall, a practical pianomaker, in James street
Albany. In 1856 he was succeeded by the firm of Marshall, James & Traver, of
which he was the principal member. This firm was dissolved and he formed a co-
partnership with Harvey Wendell in 1868, under the style of Marshall & Wendell,
and this continued successfully until 1882, when the present Marshall & Wendell
Piano Forte Manufacturing Company (Ltd) was organized and incorporated with a
paid up capital of §100,000, the officers being Henry Russell, president; Harvey
Wendell, treasurer and manager; and John Loughran, secretary. Mr. Russell sub-
sequently resigned and Jacob H. Ten Eyck was elected president and still holds the
position. In 1892 Thomas S. Wiles was chosen vice-president; Edward N. McKin-
ney, treasurer and manager; and Mr. Wendell, secretary. In 1896 the latter was
succeeded by James L. Carpenter. In 1872 the present building, Nos. 911 and 923
Broadway, was erected and occupied. It has a frontage of 145 feet and a depth of
175 feet. At this time the business was materially increased and the new plant
afforded an enlarged capacity that has ever since been successfully utilised. The
firm manufactures pianos in all kinds of fancy woods, warranting them for five years,
and maintains a large trade throughout the United States and Canada. They make
strictly high grade instruments, finer than were ever made in the history of the com-
pany, and among their agents are many of the largest and most prominent piano
houses in the country. The members are all well known business men, Mr. Wiles
being a director in the Merchants' National Bank and Mr. McKinney a director of
the New York State National Bank.

McDermott, John, superintendent of the Champlain Canal north from Albany fif-
teen miles, is a man who has spent his whole life on canal works, and who helped
build the first water works at Montreal, Canada. The death of his father caused


him to early seek his own maintenance, and he began work for contractors on the
canal; he worked his way up to overseer and foreman in various localities and has
been inspector of locks, also inspector of Champlain Canal repair work. For some
time he was on a Pennsylvania railroad, and during the war had the contract for the
reservoir at Washington, D. C. ; in 1865 he was sergeant of Capital Police, and after-
ward captain. Mr. McDermott was born at Kingston, Ont. , in 1829, leaving his na-
tive city at the age of thirteen years. His education was acquired at Rochester,
where he went in 1850 to reside with a brother. In 1854 he came to Cohoes and be-
gan contracting in the dredging business. He also has the agency of the Phoenix
Insurance Co., and real estate. Officially he has served as alderman for two years,
and as assessor for one year.

Johnson, Edwin S., military storekeeper at Watervliet Arsenal since 1856, was
born at Hudson, N.Y., in 1826. His father was William G. Johnson, also an arsenal
employee for twenty-five years, from 1840 to 1865. The early life sf Edwin S. John-
son was one of considerable adventure, although his boyhood was passed on a farm.
He was a sailor on the deep sea for several years, chiefly on coasting vessels, plying
between New York, Massachusetts and Virginia ports. He first went into the
Arsenal at the outbreak of the Mexican war in 1846, and again in 1860, and received
his appointment as assistant military storekeeper on the 10th of May, 1865, and has
remained in the same place until the present.

Miller, John H., son of John and Mary (Kelley) Jliller, was born on a farm in New
Baltimore, Greene county, October 8, 1860, and received his education in his native
town. He engaged in various occupations till about 1886, when he came to Albany
and established a livery and boarding stable en North Pearl street. In 1890 he pur-
chased his present livery and boarding stable on Hudson avenue of John Sanborn.
In 1893 he married Hattie, daughter of John Saulsman, of Albanj', who died in
March, 1894, leaving one son, Bhilip J.

Appleton, Joseph L., M. D. S. , son of George and Elizabeth (Garton) Appleton,
was born in York, Ontario, Canada, October 24, 1858. His father, a native of York-
shire, England, came to America in 1836 and died December 25, 1882. His mother,
who was born in Canada, died in March of the same year. Dr. Appleton received a
public school education, came to Albany in 1879, studied dentistry with Dr. E. C.
Edmunds, attended the New York Dental College, and afterward received the de-
gree of M. D. S. from the State Board of Dental Censors in May, 1886. He re-
mained with Dr. Edmunds until the latter's death in November, 1887, when he suc-
ceeded to his practice. He is a member and e.\-president of the Third District
Dental Society, has been a delegate to the New York State Dental Society since 1888
and in 1895 was a delegate to the American Dental Association. He is a member of
Temple Lodge, Capital City Chapter, De Witt Clinton Council and Temple Com-
mandery of Masons, an officer of Grace M. E. church and superintendent of its Sun-
day school since 1894. In 1887 he married Margaret E., daughter of John Q.
Graham of Albany, and they have two sons: Joseph L., jr , and Andrew Graham.

Brasure, John W., grandson of John Erasure, of Nova Scotia, a Frenchman, and
son of John W. Brasure, sr.. was born in Albany. June 22, 1859. John W., sr., only
child of John, was born in Hoosick Falls, N. Y., September 11, 1816, came to Al-


bany in 1836, where he died October 10, 1892. Apprenticed to Nathaniel Wright he
learned the trade of coach-lamp making, which he followed several years. He was
a member of the police force under Chief Morgan and also belonged to the old Vol-
unteer Fire Department. In June, 1857, he engaged in the undertaking business
and continued until his death. He was married three times and left four children.
He was a member of Ancient City Lodge F. & A. M. John W. Brasure, his son,
was educated in the Albany public and High Schools, and when seventeen associated
himself with his father in the undertaking businees, to which he succeeded on the
latter's death. He is a graduate of three schools of embalming, and a member and
past noble grand of Fireman's Lodge No. 19, I. O. O. F. ; a member of the New
York Encampment No. 1, Canton Nemo, and Woodbine Rebekah, L O. O. F. ; coi-
poral of the Albany Burgesses Corps; member of the Albany County Wheelman ;
charter member of the Capital Lodge Order of the Chosen Friends, and president
of the Albany County Undertakers' Association. He was one of the founders of the

Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 94 of 138)