Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 96 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 96 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

tee of the M. E. church of Newtonville since 18T2, and its treasurer for a number of
years. He is the tenth of a family of twelve children of the late Rev. Selah Ire-
land, who was born in the town of Eastou, Washington county, N. Y., m 1785, and
who settled in Watervliet, N. Y., in 1805. Mr. Ireland is a descendant of Thomas
Ireland, his great-grandfather, who was one of the early settlers who founded the
first English settlement in Queens county. Long Island, N. Y., in 1643. Francis
Asbury Ireland was married October 19, 1848, to Christina C. Ten Broeck of Claver-
ack, Columbia county. Their children are William T. B. of Lincoln, Neb., F. Jose-
phine, James M., Ulysses Grant, Cora C. and Zilla A. of Albany county.

Keneston, George, was born September 11, 1853, in Somersetshire, England,
where he was educated, and in 1866 was apprenticed for seven years, in which
he learned the trades of plumber, painter, and glazier; he came to America and
settled in Albany in 1874 and found employment with the firm of Cundall & Brint-
nall, then located at 47 Clinton avenue. In 1876 he married Bridget Newcomb of
Ballston, Spa, N. Y., and their children are seven in number: Joseph William,
Albert Daniel, Frank Leo, Walter James Edward, George, jr., Anna Clara and
Arthur. He started in business in 1878, at 77 North Lark street; in 1880 he moved
to 780^ Broadway, and in 1881 to 161 North Pearl street; in 1890 he moved to 677
Broadway, where he is still located and carrying on the business of house and sign
painting, also dealer in ready mixed paints, oils, glass, etc. In politics is a Repub-

Lynch, Joseph H., was born in 1845, and his father was James Lynch, born in
Ireland, and was a central figure in the early history of the town of Watervliet.
Mr. Lynch was thirteen years steamboating and during the war was three years on
the tug Tempest in government employ, where he rose from a cabin boy to a captain.
Since the war he ran steamboats about Philadelphia and elsewhere, until he settled
permanently at West Troy. He is a grocery dealer of West Troy and has been
located on the corner of Broadway and Seventeenth streets for twenty-one years.

Pratt. Augustus W., son of John G. and Alida (Walter) Pratt, was born on Van
Schaick's Island, Albany county, June 7, 1843. He isof English and French descent.
His paternal ancestors (three brothers) came to America from England in 1842; his
merternal ancestors came to America from France and Germany previous to the
Revolution and did Revolutionary service. His father, John G., was a boatman
on the Hudson River for sixty-six years. Augustus W. Pratt was educated in the
Waterford, N. Y., public schools and later learned the trade of machinist. In 1860
he went to New York city, where he was employed by Fletcher, Harrison & Co.

After a few years spent as engineer on steamboats, he secured the position of re
tailerfor J. B. Enos & Co., with whom he remained four years; he was then made
engineer of Erastus Coming's iron works in Troy and was there seven years, when
he secured the position of chief engineer at the Troy City Water Works, where he
remained three years. April 8, 1893, Mr. Pratt was appointed United States local
inspector of steam boilers and still holds that position. January 10, 1865, he married
Kate S., daughter of John A. Kittell of Hadley, N. Y., and they have one son:
Frank H. On June 1, he was appointed a member and chairman of the Board of
Civil Service Examiners for the;Custom House at Albany, N. Y.

Porter, Robert, is a self-made man, and started as a messenger boy twenty years
ago for the company with which he is now connected. He was born at Ballston, N.
Y.. in 1860, and was educated in the High School at that place. When about sixteen
years of age he entered the local office of the Delaware & Hudson Railroad. While
in their.| employ he picked up a practical knowledge of telegraphj^ and soon after
was transferred to Sandy Hill as operator, and was for five years clerk and operator
at Fort Henry. He then became agent and traveling auditor. In May, 1888, he
was appointed to the position he now holds, that of superintendent of the freight
office at Green Island. During his residence at Green Island Mr. Porter has been
active in local affairs. He is interested in educational aflfairs and is trustee and
presidentyof the School Board. He has developed marked ability and is recognized
as a potent factor in that most worthy cause.

Swift, William, sr., was born in the city of York, England, in 1769. He married
Esther Staber of the same place, and they had three children; Elizabeth, Jane and
William, jr. In 1822 Mr. Swift came to America with his family, settling in Al-
bany, where he engaged in the grocery business, and in 1824 he purchased a farm
in the town of New Scotland, Albany county, N. Y., when he gave up his business
and devoted his time to agricultural pursuits. His wife died in 1833, and he in
1851. After the death of his father, William Swift, jr., took charge of the farm,
managing it with great success. October 27, 1851, he married Margaret Ann
Wands, of the old Scotch family of Wands, from which the place took its name,
and they had five children: William Slater, Mary Ellen, Charles Henry and Esther
Ann, (one dying in infancy). Mr. Swift died March 25, 1879, in his sixty-eighth
year. At the age of nineteen William Slater took a course at the Albany Business
College and soon after engaged in mercantile business in Albany. December 17,
1879, he married Emma L. Wands, and June 10, 1880, he came to Voorheesville,
N. Y., and engaged in general store trade, which he conducted for seven years,
and then sold the business on account of failing health. April 1, 1888, he engaged
in the retail lumber business and a year later added to the business a manufactur-
ing plant, which he operated with success until October 5, 1893, when his mill was
destroyed by fire. He at once rebuilt on the site a storehouse and continued the
retail business as before until May 1, 1894, when he sold out, and since that time
has been engaged in contracting and building. Mr. and Mrs. Swift have seven
children as follows ; Mabel Slater, Grace Wands, Annie Louis, Sarah Drew, Cyrus
Burgess, Emma May and William Raymond (Sarah and Cyrus being twins). ' De-
cember 24, 1883, Charles Henry Swift married Mary Louisa Pearl, and he is living
on the old homestead in New Scotland. Margaret Ann Swift, the mother, is still


living at the age of seventy-six, and enjoys good health, living by herself and look-
ing after her household duties.

Shanks, Charles S., son of David W. and Anna R. (Seath) Shanks, was born in
Albany, September 8, 1857. David W. .Shanks was born in Edinburgh. Scotland, in
1825, came to America in 1846 and settled in Albany, where he conducted an uphol-
stering business till his death in IS'iT. He was captain of what is now Co. D, 10th
Battalion, a member of the old Albany Bevervvyck Club and a Mason. Charles S.
Shanks was educated in the Albauy public schools, became a clerk for Archibald
McClure & Co., and later for his father, and in 1875 entered the employ of Benjamin
Lodge, merchant tailor, with whom he remained until 1889, when he formed a part-
nership with Charles H. Lathrop, under the firm name of Shanks & Lathrop; they
purchased Mr. Lodge's business and now carry on a large merchant tailoring trade.
Mr. Shanks enlisted in Co. B, 10th Regiment, in 1878, was promoted by gradation to
first lieutenant and was honorably discharged in 1885. He was elected treasurer of
the Y. M. A. in 1884 and is now one of the board of managers. For two years he
was president of the Albany Wheelmen, which is now the A. C. W. In 1884 he
married Frances C. E.,' daughter of William Gemmell, of Jersey City, N. J., and
they have one daughter, Margaretta G.

Van Olinda, John L. , was born on the farm he now owns in 1832. This farm was
first taken up by Henry Albright in 1740. John L. Hogeboom, the maternal grand-
father, came from the town of Ghent, Columbia county, and purchased this farm
from Henry Albright about 1792. John L. Hogeboorn was born of Holland parents
and reared three children, Lawrence, John and Albertine. They were born in
Ghent, Columbia county, the latter being born in 1794; and was the mother of Mrs.
Van Olinda. With the exception of four years spent in the village of New Salem,
Mr. Van Olinda has spent his whole life on this farm, he having bought it from his
father. He has made many improvements, erected a residence and other buildings,
cleared some of the land of the timber, and has devoted considerable time to
fruit culture, principally to peaches, plums, and apple.s. He keeijs a fine grade
of Jer.sey cattle. For some years he was a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity
but later withdrew. In 1856 he was married to Margaret Wynkoop. daughter of
Abram and Susan (Albright) Wynkoop. John T. Van Olinda, the grandfather of
the subject, was born of Holland parents in the town of Watervliet, Albany county,
N. v., about 1768. He was a farmer and reared four sons and three daughters. He
later removed to Brewerton, Onondaga county, and there died in 1848, aged eighty
years. He was a soldier in the war of 1812. Jacob, the father, was born in the
town of Watervliet in 1796; he became a farmer, came to New Scotland, and was
employed on subject's farm by John L. Hogeboom, and later married Albertine, his
employer's daughter, and lived there until after the death of his father-in-law. He
later purchased of his wife's brothers their interest in the farm, and here spent his
remaining days. He was thrice married; his first wife was Lydia Ver Plank, by
whom he had three children; Mariah, Julian and Ann Eliza. His second wife was
Albertine Hogeboon ; their children were John L., Lydia Ann, and Albertine. His
third wife was Mrs. Sarah Ann Patterson. He died in 1872.

(Jreen, Archibald S., born in Oneida county, N Y., October 1, 1825, is a son of
Jeremiah and Elizabeth (Stephens) Green. The maternal grandfather, Archibald

Stephens, was one of the prominent farmers of Coeymans, and was a magistrate ap-
pointed by the governor. The paternal grandparents of Mr. Green were Quakers
in faith and early settlers of Coeymans, coming from Westchester county. Jeremiah
Green was a merchant at Stephen ville, now Alcove, N. Y., whence he removed in
1831 to Westerlo and purchased the Moses Smith store and there carried on a general
mercantile business until time of death in 1849. He was a Democrat and was justice
of the peace a number of years. He was also a Mason, and was a birthright Quaker.
Archibald S. Green was educated at Cazenovia Seminary, and Kno.wille and Gallup-
ville Academies. He was appointed recruiting officer in the Civil war and enlisted
a number of soldiers to the credit of Albany county; was also treasurer for the club
of drafted men and others liable to be drafted from the town of Westerlo, and as-
sisted in disbursing several thousand dollars to these drafted members of the club.
In 1853 he married Sarah, daughter of Charles Cox of Orleans county. N. Y., and
they had three children: George J. and Charles G., who are in business with their
father at Westerlo, and William, who died in infancy. Mr. Green has carried on a
general mercantile business, succeeding his father; he also has about 1,000 acres of
land in Westerlo. which he has to look after. He is a Democrat and was postmaster
under Buchanan. His son George J. is at present postmaster at Westerlo.

Harris, Hubbard C, was born in Grafton, Windora county, Vt. , in 1835, and is a
a son of Jasher and grandson of William, whose ancestors came from England and
settled in Ipswich. Mass., in 1636. Mr. Harris came to Coeymans in 1853, since
when he has followed his trade, that of a mason and contractor, successfully. In
1860 he married Laura, daughter of Elisha and Charlotte Buckland, by whom fmir
children have been born, of whom Harry R. and Laura M. are now living.

Keller, Robert B., son of Jacob and Harriet (Dibble) Keller, was born in Hudson,
N. Y., January 7, 1846, and was of Holland and English descent. His grandfather,
Jacob Keller, was born in Holland and came to America in the eighteenth century ;
his mother was born in Vermont and descended from an English family. Robert
B. Keller was educated in the Hudson public schools and in 1857 commenced steam-
boating as a deckhand and rapidly rose until he became master of a steam vessel at
eighteen years of age; he continued as such until 1885, when he was appointed
United States local inspector of steam vessels, which position he now holds. In 1872
he married Emma M , daughter of James M. Hurd, of Chicopee Falls, Mass., and
they have one son; Robert H.

Livingston & Co. - The business of this well known firm was founded in 1857 by
Hiram Livingston, who in a small store on Green street built up a large wholesale
wine and liquor trade. In 1876 he removed to the present location. No. 76 State
street, and upon his death in 1879 was succeeded by his son, William H. (born 1839),
who in September, 1895, formed a copartnership with Jacob H. Smith (born 1862),
under the firm name of Livingston & Co. The firm carries the finest grade of goods,
caters principally to the drug and hotel trade and is one of the heaviest importers
through the customs warehouse at Albany. Mr. Livingston was deputy collector of
internal revenue under Theodore Townsend, during the Rebellion held a position in
the War Department and was a Mason, a trustee of the Albany County Savings
Bank and a member of the Albany Club. Mr. Smith, son of Henry Smith, who died
in December, 1891. was graduated from the Albany High School in 1881, and from


1884 to 1895 was bookkeeper for W. H. Livingston. He was an organizer and the
first secretary of the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer.

Sutherland. Charles R., is descended from Joseph Sutherland, wlio came from
Scotland and settled in Horseneck, Conn., where his son Thomas was born in 1736.
Thomas married Barsheba Palmer and died in 1807. His son William, born December
31, 1791, settled in Kinderhook, N. Y., and died December 31, 1811. Rufus Sutherland,
son of William, was born in 1799, married Sally Nivar, removed to Schoharie, N. V.,
in 1840 and died in 1849. His son Michael, born in 1828, married Christina Lawyer
and died February 25. 1888; his wife died in January, 1872. Her family were among
the early Dutch settlers of New Amsterdam. Charles R. Sutherland, son of Michael,
was born in Schoharie, January, 31, 1857, and after attaining his majority .spent four
years as clerk in the grocery store of his uncle. Isaac P. Sutherland, in Albany. In
1882 he engaged in the produce commission business as a member of the firm of
Burlians & Sutherland, which in 1883 was succeeded *by Burhans, Sutherland & Co..
which was followed in 1885 by I. P. Sutherland & Co. In 1838 his brother Willard
J. was admitted and in 1890 the two brothers, Charles R. and Willard J., withdrew
and formed the present commission firm of C. R. & W. J. Sutherland, which also
deals in real estate. Mr. Southerland was a director of the South End Bank and is
a member of Mount \'ernon Lodge No. 3, F. &• A. M., Capital City Chapter R. A. M.,
Temple Commandery K. T., and the Scottish Rite bodies. October 14, 1892, he married
Mary Elizabeth, daughter of William H. Righter of Albany, and their children are
Charles, jr. (deceased), Florence and Hellen.

Sutherland, Willard J., son of Michael and brother of Charles R. Sutherland
(see above sketch), was born in Schoharie, N. Y., October 10, 1859, and when
eighteen came to Albany as clerk for Haskell & Gallup, wholesale spices, etc., with
whom he remained about three years. Later he was employed by J. E. Moore,
manufacturer of pills. This position was given up to embark in the retail grocery
business, which was successfully carried on for nearly six years. In the .spring of

1885 he sold the grocery business to William H. Righter and became partner with his
uncle, Isaac P. Sutherland and brother, C. R. Sutherland, in the produce commis-
sion business, in which he has since continued, being now a member with his brother
in the firm of C. R. & W. J. Sutherland. He is a member of Temple Lodge No. 14,
F. &• A. M. In 1884 he married Anna Stacpole of Albany, and their children are
Mable, Harry, Libbie (deceased), Clara and Willard J., jr,

Schuyler, Richard P. — The domicile inhabited by this gentleman and his family is
one of the historic landmarks of Albany county; .situated at Port Schuyler, near
West Troy, it stands a mute reminder of the generations of Schuylers it has shel-
tered. Partially destroyed by fire, it has been rebuilt, but not essentially modern-
ized and retains some quaint specimens of old Dutch handiwork. Richard P. Schuy-
ler, son of the late Stephen R. Schuyler, was born here in 1847. A daughter. Miss
Jennie D. Schuyler, an able writer, who values high the traditions of her family,
will contribute to this work some notes upon their genealogy. From a moss-grown
stone in the Schuyler Cemetery, near by, we quote verbatim: "In memory of Col.
Philip Schuyler, a gentleman who was emproved in several public enployments. in
which he acted with integrity. He was singularly hospitable, a sincere friend, a

kind master, and most tender husband. He lived respected, and died greatly la-
mented, February 16, 1758, aged sixty-two years."

Staats, John M. was born in Schodack, Rensselaer county, in 1S12 and is the son
of Barrent N. and grandson of Nicholas Staats, who, with two brothers, came from
Holland among the early settlers. Nicholas Staats had four sons; George, Joachim
P., William and Barrent N., who m 1832 settled the farm where John M. now lives.
He died in 1848 and left two sons; Garret B., and John M., who remained on the
homestead and carried on the farm. John M. Staats had two sons and three daugh-
ters. John A. now runs the farm, and the youngest son, Joachim P., died in 1885.

Secor, Benjamin M., of Huguenot descent, was born October 27, 1834, in the town
of Berne, Albany county, where his father, Daniel, was born October 18, 1804.
Daniel Secor, a Revolutionary soldier, settled in Berne about 1780 and died there ;
his son Cornelius lived and diec^ there and was a colonel in the State militia. Daniel,
son of Cornelius, married Cornelia Van Zandt and died June 22, 1879. Benjamin
M. Secor was reared on a farm and received his education in his native town and
Warnerville Seminary. He remained on the farm and clerked in country stores
until 1866, when he came to Albany and engaged in the retail clothing business
with L. D. Hutchins. In 1870 he became a clerk for R. C. Davis & Co. and so con-
tinued till January, 1878, when he entered the employ of the late C. G. Craft; Janu-
ary, 1890, he became a partner in the firm of C. G. Craft & Co. Mr. Craft died
March 13, 1890, and since then Mr. Secor and Joseph D. Chapin have continued the
business under the old firm name. Mr. Secor is vice-president in the Albany, Hel-
derberg and Schoharie Railway Company, member of Temple Lodge, F. & A. M.,
and has lived in the Thirteenth ward about thirty years. In 1858 he married Arvilla
Strevell of Berne, and they have five children; Effie J., Elva. Laura M., Daniel and
Ida A.

Saul Julius, was born m Prussia, Germany, March 29, 1836, came to this country
in October, 1856, and first settled in Catskill, N. Y., where he found employment at
his trade of clothing cutting. In May, 1858, he engaged in the merchant tailoring
and ready-made clothing business, which he sold out in 1869. In March, 1867, he
moved to Troy and engaged in the same business, which he still continues in that
city. He removed to New York in 1883 and began the manufacture of clothing and
while there, in 1884, established a store in Albany, where he settled in May, 1888.
In the latter year he purchased and extensively remodeled the property, Nos. 51-53
North Pearl street, where he has since built up a prosperous business, carrying in
stock every article in clothing used from head to foot, by man, woman, and child.
In 1893 his sons, Lester J. and Philip C, were admitted to partnership and the
manufacturing department was moved from New York to Albany. Mr. Saul is an
ex-member of the National Guard, an exempt fireman, a member of King Solomon's
Primitive Lodge F. & A. M., and Trojan Lodge I. O. O. F. of Troy. In September,
1864, he married Rachel Cohn, a native of Prussia, Germany. Of their nine chil-
dren four are living; Lester J., Philip C, Rose (wife of Dr. M. J. Lewi of New York
city) and Elka.

Sayles, William, for twenty-three years one of the leading contractors of Albany,
is a son of Thomas and Jane (Stephan) Sayles, and was born on the Isle of Man, May


J.j. 1848. He was educated in private schools and learned the trade of carpenter
and joiner in his native country, noted in recent years as the scene of Hall Caine's
thrilling romances. Mr. Sayles came to America in 1867, arriving in New York city
April 24, and the following day reached Albany, where he has since resided. He
followed his trade as a journeyman until January, 1873, when he formed a copartner-
ship with William H. Gick, under the firm name of Gick & Sayles, and engaged in
contracting and building. This firm has steadily increased the volume of its opera-
lions, until now it is one of the leading concerns of the kind in the city. They have
erected about 300 buildings in Albany, among them the Albany County Bank, Dud-
ley Observatory, Albany Safe Deposit and Storage Block, the Hope Baptist church,
St. Peter's Rectory and the residences of Messrs. Wing, Russell, Rudd, Murphy,
Gregory, Fuller, Waldman, Barber and Reynolds, on State Street, of George W.
Van Slyke, Hon. John Palmer and Benjamm Lodge on Madison Avenue, of Mann,
Waldman and Tracey on Willett Street; of Mrs. Craig in Englewood Place; of
Ogden, Kinnear and Rooker on Lake Avenue; the brown stone row on Lancaster
street between Lark and Willett, and a great many other dwellings, public build-
ings, etc., of equal prominence. They have also built a large number of handsome
structures outside the city of Albany and are well known throughout a wide terri-
tpry. Mr. Sayles is a staunch Republican, and in May, 1895, was appointed by
Mayor O. E. Wilson one of the city assessors for a term of three years. He is a
member of Ancient City Lodge, No. 452, F. & A. M. He is a member and for ten
years was a trustee of the First M. E. church. November 27, 1878, he married Ellen
Elizabeth, daughter of the late William W. Pearl of Albany county, and they have
three children. Arthur Everett, Agnes Pearl 'and Mabel Margaret.

Ten Eyck, Jacob H., is a descendant of Coenraedt Ten Ej'ck, who came from Am-
sterdam, Holland, to New York city about 1650 and was a tanner. The words Ten
Eyck mean "from the oak," the oak being the family's coat of arms. Herman Ten
Eyck of Albany (where the family settled about 1690) was born here in 1793 and died
May 17, 1861, about ten years after he retired from the dry goods business, in which
he was long engaged with an elder brother -under the firm name of Jacob H. Ten
Eyck & Co. Herman Ten Eyck married, in 1821, Eliza Bogart of Geneva, N. Y.,
who died in 1853, leaving two daughters and an only son. Jacob H. Ten Eyck, the
son, and the last living male representative of this branch of the family, was born
in Albany, August 17, 1833, attended the Albany Academy and for a few years was
clerk in a bank. In 1856 he went to Cuba and spent three j'ears in railroading. Re-
turning to Albany he raised in 1861 Co. G, of the 3d N. Y. Vols., was commissioned
a captain in the State militia on April 25, and in May was mustered into U. S. ser-
vice. He served nearly two years, being promoted major of the 154th N. Y. Vols.,
and stationed in Virginia with the 11th Army Corps. He resigned in 1864 on ac-
count of ill health and since the war has had charge of several estates. He has been
a trustee of the Albany Savings Bank and a director in the Albany Insurance Com-
pany for about twenty years, is president of the Great Western Turnpike Company
(the oldest corporation of the kind in the State), and is connected with several man-
ufacturing companies in Albany and Troy. He was alderman of the old Seventh
ward two years, one of the founders of the Fort Orange Club, for ten years a mem-
ber of the Volunteer Fire Department, and was long a member of the Albany


Burgesses Corps, and also commissary of the 10th Regt. In 1867 he married Ma-
tilda E., daughter of G. V. S. Bleecker, a prominent citizen and for many years
alderman of the Third ward of Albany and the father of Charles E. Bleecker, at one

Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 96 of 138)