Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) Parker.

Landmarks of Albany County, New York online

. (page 98 of 138)
Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 98 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

died August 6, 1889. Robert remained with his father and attended school until
nineteen years of age, when he came to the United States direct to his granduncle,
Andrew McHinch, for whom he worked at farm work for one year, and then worked
for other parties for several years, when he went to Illinois and Iowa and remained
for one year, and by the request of his uncle returned to New Scotland and worked


hard, and when he had been here ten years he had saved S3,0fl0 in cash. In 1876 he
purchased his uncle's farm, the price being $0,000, for which he has paid, and upon
which he has since lived doing general farming, but paying special attention to the
fruit culture. He has since added land and made other improvements, and is now
the possessor of a fine farm and good buildings. In March, 1876, he married Sarah
Jane, born in Bath-on-the-Hudson, and daugeter of Jacob P. and Mary Elizabeth
(Snyder) Elmendorf, by whom one child has been born, Jennie May. Mrs. McHinch
is a member of the Reformed church. Mr. McHinch was elected and le-elected ex-
cise commissioner for three terms, and is now filling the office of assessor.

Kimmey, William, was born in Bethlehem in 1829 and is the son of Daniel, and
grandson of Jacob. His great grandfather came from Germany in 1755 and settled
in Bethlehem, where he was the founder of the family which has always occupied a
prominent position in the town and county. William Kimmey was supervisor of his
town for five years, also town clerk, and was a member of the constitutional conven-
tion in 1894. December 37. 1854, he married a daughter of Frederick Hillebrant,
and they have one son, William R., and two daughters, having lost two sons, John
and Albert.

Frederick, Stephen V., was born in Guilderland on the farm he now owns, March
17, 1831. Christopher, his father, was born in the same place in 1793. He was one
of three sons: Stephen, Christopher and Jacob, and three daughters: Elizabeth,
Mary and Esther, born to Michael, a farmer by occupation, who vifas also born on
the same farm. He was a son of Stephen, born in Guilderland. His father,
Michael, came from Germany in about 1750 and took up a tract of land of about 900
acres in the town of Guilderland. Christopher, the father of Mr. Frederick, was a
successful farmer and a soldier in the war of 1813. His wife was Appolonia Hilton,
daughter of James Hilton. They reared three sons and four daughters. He lived
to be eighty-seven years old and. his wife lived to be seventy-eight. Mr. Frederick
received a good common school education, and when twenty-six years of age began
to teach school, which he followed for nine years. In 1861 he was elected supervisor
and was re-elected for five consecutive years. In the fall of 1866 he was elected
county treasurer, which office he filled for three years. He has also filled many
minor offices in his town and was often called upon to draw up wills and settle
estates. He has added to the original homestead until he now owns 600 acres, and
also owns property in Albany, and is an enterprising and successful man. January
14, 1863, he was married to Annie Reid. of New Scotland, and daughter of Alexan-
der Reid. Their children are Margaret, Ada and Lona. Mr. Frederick was taught
the Holland language by his mother and still retains a knowledge of that tongue.

Whitbeck, William J., was born in 1838. He is a son of John T., and a grand.son
of Thomas, who had four sons: William, Stephen, Daniel and John T., who had
four sons: Thomas, John A., Jasper and William J. He is a farmer and lives on a
part of the old homestead. He married Hannah J. Smith.

Couse, David, was born in Bethlehem in 1827 and is the son of David, born in
1803, and grandson of Adam Couse, who came from Germany in 1784 and settled in
Bethlehem and had six sons: John. Matthew, William, Peter, Jacob and David,
father of the subject. Mr. Couse came to Slingerlands in 1839, where he has since


been a farmer. He was elected justice in 1872, which office he has held continuously
ever since; he has also been town clerk and collector and was for some years
assistant assessor for the revenue department. He has four sons: Andrew, David,
Frank and Robert.

Hill & Son. — James Hill, a native of England, settled in Albany about 1827 and
died there in 1838. He was foreman in a large blacksmith shop which stood on the
site of the D. & H. depot, at the foot of Maiden Lane. Cornelius Hill, his son, born
December 18, 1833, in Albany, received a public school education, and has always
been in the fruit and vegetable business. In 1845 he became a clerk in the old
Columbia Street Market aad later held a similar position on Van Rensselaer Island.
In 1854 he established business for himself and since 1889 has been located on the
corner of Hudson avenue and Grand street, the site on which Thurlow Weed's man-
sion once stood. In 1884 the firm of Hill & Son was formed by the admission of his
son, James H. Mr. Hill was alderman two years, and is a member of Temple
Lodge F. & A. M., Capital City Chapter R. A. M., and Temple Commandery No. 2,
K. T. In January, 1854, he married Mary Mcintosh, and they have nine children
living: James H., Erastus C. William M., George C. (all members of Temple Lodge
F. & A. M.), Isabella, Ida, Elizabeth, Etta E. and Minnie.

Southworth, Dr. Julius B., dates his lineage to the Mayflower Pilgrims of 1620.
His father, Alden Southworth, who married Betsey Barker, was a prominent manu-
facturer of Oriskany Falls, Oneida county, a captain in the old State miHtia and for
twelve years a justice of the peace. Dr. Southworth, born in Oriskany Falls, N. Y.,
February 6. 1849, was educated at Cazenovia Seminary and at Madison University
in Hamilton, and from 187] to 1876 was a teacher m the former institution and from
the latter date to 1881 was president of the Vermont Methodist Seminary and Female
College at Montpelier. He read medicine with Dr. J. D. Munn of Herkimer county,
was graduated from the medical department of the University of Vermont at Bur-
lington in 1882, and began the practice of his profeseion in Albany, where he has
since resided. From 1885 to 1895 he was literary editor of the Albany Evening
Journal and since then has held a similar position on the .staff of the Albany Argus,
and also done considerable literary work for magazines and other periodicals. He is
a member of the Albany County Medical Society and a charter member of the Al-
bany Press Club. August 22, 1872, he was married at Schuyler's Lake, N. Y., to
Arzeha, daughter of the Rev. Reuben S. Southworth. She died July 30, 1873, and
he married, second, November 28, 1876, Eleanor H., daughter of Dr. J. Dayton
Munn of Van Hornesville, Herkimer county. They have one son, Hamilton Munn
Southworth, born February 11, 1881. Dr. Southworth is an elder in the First
Methodist Episcopal church and has been superintendent of its Sunday school at in-
tervals for the last ten years.

Jones, John H., was born in 1854 and first engaged in the lumber business as an
employee of a planing mill, but is now an agent for t;he Rusches Brewing Company
of Troy. Mr. Jones is a local leader in politics and has held various offices. He
was alderman of the Third ward from 1883 to 1890. His younger brother, Thomas
R., who died in 1885, was also a prominent man. John H. was the elder son of
Robert Jones, who, before his death, was the leading shoe dealer of West Troy, and
had for fifteen years been an honored citizen of that place.


Herrick, Avery, the widely know blank publisher, is a son of John Jay and Mary
Herrick, and was born in the town of Florida, now Fifth ward of the city of Amster-
dam, N. Y., November 9, 1822, and first became a clerk in the store of Duncan
McDonald of Schenectady, where he was apprenticed to the printing business in
1838 with Isaac Riggs. Coming to Albany in 1840, he completed his apprenticeship with
Joel Munsell, at Old Gable Hall, No. 58 State street. In 1848 he married Harriet
Anna Wetsell of Greene county. Commenced the printing business in 1861 at
No. 496 Broadway, Albany, N. Y., where he has ever since continued, and in 1872
succeeded W. C. Little & Co. in the publication of blanks. His present wife isSpedy,
daughter of the late Avery Herrick Belding, of Montgomery county, N. Y.

Harriott, Marvin B., son of John V. and Harriet R. (Colfax) Harriott, was born
in Brooklyn, N. Y., September 6, 1860. His father's ancestors were Scotch and
English and first settled in New York city in 1783. The great hospital at Edinburgh,
Scotland, known as the Heriot Hospital, was founded and endowed by Sir George
Heriot, an ancestor of the subject of this sketch. Mr. Harriott's mother's family
came to America from England in 1740, and his maternal great-grandfather was
Gen. William Colfax, who' was the first commander of General Washington's Lile
Guards and afterwards was quartermaster-general on Washington's staff. Through
this line Mr. Harriott is related to the late Schuyler Colfax, vice-president of the
United States, 1869-1873. John V. Harriott was a graduate of the University of the
City of New York, and was president of the Firemen's Fire Insurance Company of
New York at the time of his death in 1874. Marvin B. Harriott was educated in the
Brooklyn private and public schools and at the Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute. After
the completion of his education he accepted a clerkship in a cotton house and subse-
quently took a three years' course in a sugar refinery. For the past seventeen yearfe
he has been a sugar broker, and now represents L. W. Minford & Co., New York,
Swift & Co., Chicago, and the Armour Packing Company, Kansas City, for Albany,
Troy and Northern New York. Mr. Harriott was a charter member of the Schubert
Club. He served two years in Co. A, 10th Bat.. N. G. N. Y., and held all offices up
to and including that of first lieutenant and resigned as such in April, 1896. Dur-
ing his term as first lieutenant he served detail as quartermaster of the battalion and
as commissary of twelve hundred men at Buflalo, N. Y., during the great railroad
strike in 1892.

Goewey, Dr. W. Irving, son of William J. and Eudora (Lewis) Goewey, was
born in Defreestville, Rensselaer county, November 10, 1859, and when fifteen years
of age moved with his parents to his mother's farm at East Schodack, N. Y. He
attended Hartwick Seminary and the academical department of Beloit College in
Wisconsin, and was graduated with honor from Fort Edward Collegiate Institute
in this State in 1888. He taught school at Poestenkill, N. Y., for two terms; two
years and a half at East Schodack, N. Y., and was principal of the Hartford public
school in Washington county for one year, showing exceptional ability as a teachei
in all positions. He read medicine with Dr. Arlington Boyce of East Schodack,
N. Y. , and was graduated from the Albany Medical College in 1892, and in March,
1893, began the practice of his profession in Albany at 225 Hamilton street, where
he now resides. He is a member of the Albany County Medical Society, the Al-
bany Medical College Alumni Association and the First M. E. church of Albany.

February 8, 1893, he married Mrs. Jennie E. Earing, daughter of Mason I. Crocker
of Albany, and they have one son: W. Irving, 2d.

Milwain, James, was born in Hethlehem, Albany county. May 8, 1817, and was
reared on a farm. When si.\teen he came to Albany and secured a position as
clerk in the store of Robinson & Douty, dealers in drugs and paints on the site of
the present Milwain building. In 1838 he entered into business for himself, open-
ing a retail hat store at No. 2 South Pearl street, and later on State street, near
Pearl street. In business he was a man of the strictest integrity, well liked by all
who knew him for his sterling qualities. After a quarter of a century as a suc-
cessful retail dealer, he formed a copartnership with Henry Richmond as a whole-
sale dealer in hats and caps at No. 391 Broadway and still later at No. 416 Broad-
way. W. H. Boyce of the present firm entered into the partnership in 1870 and
the firm became Richmond, Milwain & Co. On the retirement of Mr. Richmond
the firm name was changed to Boyce & Milwain, which still continues, the junior
member being James Milwain, jr., Mr. Milwain, sr., retiring about 1887. When a
}'Oung man Mr. Milwain took an active interest in politics and affiliated with the
Republican party. He was supervisor of the old Tenth ward two terms, which
was the only political oflice he ever held. He was also a director in the Commerce
Insurance Co., owned considerable real estate and built the Milwain building on
State street, where the business of the firm has been conducted since January, 1892.
He died March 10, 1892, and was survived by a wife and two daughters (Mrs.
William H. Boyce and Mrs. William A. Smith) and one son, James Milwain. jr.
The latter was born in Albany, educated in the Albany Academy and later became
a partner with his father, to whose interest in the business he succeeded; also is a
director in the Commerce Insurance Company.

Murphey, Elijah W. (son of Coolidge Bliss Murphey and Mary A. Atkins and grand-
son of Elijah and Elizabeth (Bliss) Murphey) was born at Sandy Hill, Washington
comnty, N. Y., February 10, 1840. He was educated at Fort Edward Institute as a
civil engineer. He joined the N. Y. State engineering corps, serving on the Cham-
plain Canal enlargement seven years, becoming first assistant engineer; afterward
he went to Philadelphia, where he was engaged in the oil business for two years. In
1866 he came to Albany and established himself as a manufacturer and dealer in
lubricating oils, which business he still continues. In 1873 he formed with Orlando
P. Liscomb, the present firm of Murphey & Liscomb, and they have branch stores
in Hudson, N. Y., and Springfield, Mass. Mr. Murphey is a trustee and vice-presi-
dent of the Albany Homeopathic Hospital, a director of the Albany Exchange Bank
and treasurer of the First Congregational church. He is a member of the Fort
Orange Club, Albany Unconditionals and a member of the Society of the Colonial
Wars through Vice-Admiral Thomas Gilbert from whom he is seventh in descent;
he is also a member of the Sons of the Revolution through his great-grandfather,
Daniel Murphey, of Springfield, Mass., who served under Colonel afterward Gen.
Rufus Putnam, at Bunker Hill and the siege of Boston, and who married Eliza-
beth Knowlton of Springfield, Mass., and of the Society of the War of 1812 through
his grandfather, Elijah Murphey, who served at the battle of Plattsburgh. In 1865
he married Helen A., daughter of Chauncey Hulburt of Philadelphia, Pa., and they
have four children: Harriet (Mrs. Henry Otis Chapman) of New York city, Martha,
Virginia Hulburt and Chauncey Hulburt.


Battershall, Walton W., D. D., was born in Troy, N. Y., January 8, 1840, and is
of English descent. The name was originally spelled Battishill and is probably of
French derivation. His father, Ludlow A. Battershall, was the senior member of a
wholesale grocery house in Troy from 1832 to 1866, when he removed to New York
city. For many years he was president of the Union Bank of Troy and prominently
interested in financial and educational enterprises. His mother. Eustatia Ward,
belonged to a large and respected family which settled in Westchester county. The
subject of this sketch was, at an early age, convinced of his duty to prepare himself
for the ministry and to this end directed his training. He was graduated from Kim-
ball Union Academy, Meriden, N. H., in 1858, and continued his studies in Yale
College, from which he was graduated in 1864. While at the college he took the
Yale literary prize medal, one of the Townsend premiums of the senior class, and
delivered the class poem on commencement week. He studied theology under Rev.
Henry C. Potter, M. D., present bishop of New York, at the time rector of St. John's
church, Troy; in which Dr. Battershall was ordained deacon. He subsequentl}- en-
tered the senior class of the General Theological Seminary in New York, from which
which he was graduated in 1866. In the same year he was ordained priest of the
Protestant Episcopal church by the Rt. Rev. Horatio Potter, bishop of New York.
After serving for two years as assistant minister at Zion church, Madison avenue.
New York, he held the rectorship of St. Thomas's church at Ravenswood, N. Y.,
from which he was called to Christ church, Rochester N. Y., in 1869, of which
parish he was rector five years and a member of the standing committee of
the Diocese of Western New York. In 1874 he was called to the rectorship
of St. Peter's church, Albany, N. Y., which position he now occupies. He received
the degree of D. D. from Union College in 1876. Dr. Battershall has been for sev-
eral years trustee of Hobart College, Geneva, N. Y., a member of the Diocesan
Board of Missions and a delegate from the Diocese of Albany to the Triennial Con-
ventions of the Protestant Episcopal church. St. Peter's church is one of the oldest
and most important in the country, rich m historic associations and the number of
eminent men which have been included in its membership. During the rectorship
of Dr Battershall the magnificent church edifice has been greatly enriched and
beautified and the parish has shown increased activity as a moral and spiritual
power in the community. October 13, 1864, in St. Mark's church, Newark, N. Y.,
Dr. Battershall married Anna Davidson Williams, who died in Christ church rectory,
Rochester, N. Y., September 25, 1873. Dr. Battershall has three children: Fletcher
W., Cornelia Smith and Anna Davidson.

Gaus, Major Charles H., son of John H. and Agnes (Boehm) Gaus, was born in
Zanesville, Ohio, September 1, 1840, and removed with his parents in 1842 to Brook-
lyn, N. Y., where he attended the public schools and also received private tuition.
In 1857 he came to Albany and engaged in the retail drug business, which he has
practically followed ever since. He was first associated with his uncle, Louis Saut-
ter, with whom he was a partner from 1868 to 1872, when he purchased the property
on the corner of Washington avenue and Lake street, where he built his present
block in 1874. His military record begins with the years 1864 and 1865, when he
was detailed, with rank of hospital steward, in charge of the medical stores on Hart's
Island in New York liarbor. lu 1880 he enlisted in Co. K, 10th Regt., N, G. N. Y.,


and in October. 1884, was appointed inspector of rifle practice, 10th Batt., by Col. W.
E. Fitch; was appointed inspector of rifle practice of the Third Brigade October,
1886 by General Parker, and still holds this position, ranking as major, having been
reappointed by General Oliver. He won in 1889, '90, '91 and '92 the Wimbledon
Cup, an international trophy originally presented by the National Rifle Association
of Great Britain to the National Rifle Association of America, to be shot for annu-
ally and to be held by the winner one year. This cup was first won by Major Fulton
in 18T6, and has been held by American riflemen ever since. In 1890 Major Gaus
won the military championship of the United States for rifle practice at Creedmoor,
L. I. He is a Republican, was supervisor of the Thirteenth ward in 1874-75, a
member of the Board of Public Instruction five years, being president of the satne
one year, and on August 20, 1894, was appointed by Mayor Wilson, street commis-
sioner of Albany. He is a 32° Mason, a member of the Fort Orange Club, a charter
member of the Albany Club, a founder and director of the Park Bank, a director of
the Albany Exchange Savings Bank, and a director of the Albany Mutual Fire In-
surance Company. In 1869 he married a daughter of Leo Kirchner, of Troy, N. Y.,
and their children are Edward Leo and Edith Agnes.

Haskell, William Hervey, is a son of Simeon Parsons and Mary Huntington (May)
Haskell, and comes from good old Puritan stock, being on his maternal side a direct
descendant of William Bradford, the first governor of the colony of Massachusetts.
His ancestors on his paternal side came to this country about 1632, settling at Bev-
erley, Mass. Simeon P., a native of Western Massachusetts, came to Albany about
1820, was a school teacher, merchant and elder of the Presbyterian church. He died
in 1839. His father. Simeon, was one of seven brothers who were Revolution arj'
soldiers. William Hervey was born in Albany, February 14, 1832 was graduated
from the Albany Academy in 1849 and first became a clerk in the bookstore of E. H.
Bender. He was for three years a clerk in the Canal Department, and for more
than thirteen years bookkeeper and teller for the Mechanics' and Farmers' Bank. In
December, 1865, he went to New York as paying teller in the First National Bank,
but the next summer returned to Albany and engaged in the wholesale coffee and
spice business, which he continued until 1880. He was then the general manager of
the Albany agency of the Equitable Life Insurance Company of New York, till
August, 1894, when he was appointed by Mayor Wilson, chamberlain, which posi-
tion he still holds. He has been chairman of the Republican County Committee, is
president of the Permanent Savings and Loan Association, and one of its incorpo-
rators, is a 32°. Mason, being past master and treasurer of Masters Lodge No. 5, and
has for several years a trustee of the Second Presbyterian church. During the Re-
bellion he was a member of the war committee and was active in raising troops. In
January, 1855, he married Jane Strong, daughter of George Davidson of Albany
and of their seven children, five are living: George Davidson, Mary Huntington,
(irace Grant, Harriet Reed and William Hervey, jr.

Horrocks, John, a retired manufacturer and well known resident of Cohoes, is the
son of Samuel Horrocks, who came to America from England in 1849 and to Cohoes
in 1854. The latter was a man of upright character, much beloved by his fellow-
citizens, and was for many years a vestryman of St. John's church. His death oc-
curred February 12, 1892. Mr. Horrocks was born in Hyde, Cheshire, England, in


1841, but was educated here. Since entering business life he has been closely iden-
tified with municipal affairs, and has taken an active interest in church. Masonic and
educational matters. He was for many years a manufacturer of knit underwear, of
the firm of George Warhurst & Co., then Horrocks & Van Benthuysen, and later
known as the Atlantic Knitting Company.

Houghton, George H., M. L)., son of Thomas and Hannah (Harrison) Houghton,
was born in the town of Vernon. Oneida county, November 6. 1853. He is a de-
scendant of General Houghton, who was killed at the battle of Albura in the Penm-
sular war. Dr. Houghton attended the district schools until he was seventeen, when
he ran away from home to the lumber regions of Michigan, where he spent four
years in Michigan, Minnesota and Manitoba and traveled over most of the Western
States, returning east in 1873. He attended the Utica Business College and Whites-
town {N. Y.) Seminary, where he was graduated. He then taught school two years
and studied medicine with Dr. William M. James of Whitestown, N. Y. In 1879 he
entered the Albany Medical College and graduated in 1882, after which he studied
three years in the Swinburne Hospital, Albany, N. Y. , since when he has practiced
in Albany. He is surgeon for the D. & H. and N. Y. C. R. R. Cos. He is a mem-
ber of Mt. Vernon Lodge No. 3, F. & A. M. In 1884 he married Catharine, daugh-
ter of Rev. J. E. Bowen and they have two children, Guy and Oscar E.

Armatage, Hon. Charles H., son of Jared H., born in Saratoga county in 1833, and
Rachel Martin, his wife, of New Braintree, Mass., both living in Albany, was born
in Albany January 30, 1849, and descends from New England ancestry dating back
200 years. His grandfather and great-grandfather were residents of Dartmouth,
Mass. He was educated at the Albany Boys' Academy, and for several years was
assistant superintendent of the Buffalo division of the West Shore line, but resigned
this position to take charge of his father's grocery business and soon became an
active factor in politics. In 1892 he was elected alderman at large and in 1892-93,
was president of the Common Council. August 21, 1894, he was was appointed by
Mayor Wilson superintendent of the almshouse and overseer of the poor, which po-
sitions he has since held. He is a prominent Mason, being a member of Temple
Lodge, De Witt Clinton Council. Temple Chapter, Temple Commandery (of which
he is past eminent commander), and the Scottish Rite bodies, thirty-third degree,

Online LibraryAmasa J. (Amasa Junius) ParkerLandmarks of Albany County, New York → online text (page 98 of 138)