American Society of Civil Engineers.

Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) online

. (page 156 of 167)
Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 156 of 167)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

the Pennsylvania Railroad Company as Rodman and Assistant Engi-
neer, which position he retained until August, 1886, when he went to
the Michigan Central Railroad, as Assistant Engineer in charge of
construction. In 1890, he was appointed Division Engineer in charge
of the Chicago Division, and, in May, 1895, he became Chief Engineer
of the Chicago, Hammond, and Western Railroad, in full charge of
all matters in connection with its construction. In 1897, Mr. Hotch-
kiss held the position of Chief Engineer and Superintendent of Con-
struction for the Chicago, Hammond, and Western Railroad Company,
and of the Michigan Central Terminal Railroads, in charge of the
extension of the Chicago Terminal. In 1899, he was appointed Chief
Engineer of the Chicago Transfer and Clearing Company, and Con-
sulting Engineer of the. Michigan Central System.

In 1900, Mr. Hotchkiss became President of the Indiana Harbor
Railroad Company, and constructed the Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad
from Indiana Harbor around Chicago, as well as the Chicago, Indiana
and Southern Railroad, from Chicago to Danville, 111. After com-
pleting these roads in 1905, he effected their consolidation with the
New York Central System, and became General Manager of the con-
solidated companies.

In 1912, Mr. Hotchkiss became President of the Chicago Utilities
Company and the Chicago Tunnel Company, and, in 1913, he was
called to New York City to take over the management of the various
properties and interests of the late H. H. Rogers. At the time of his
death, which occurred at Battle Creek, Mich., on October 28th, 1916,
from organic heart trouble, he was Chairman of the Board of Directors
of the Virginian Railway Company; Chairman of the Atlantic Coast
Electric Railway Company; President of the Chicago Tunnel Com-
pany, the Rail Joint Company, the Richmond Light and Railroad
Company, the Staten Island Midland Railway Company, and of various
other power, light, and railroad companies.

Mr. Hotchkiss was a pioneer in the promotion and development
of the Calumet Manufacturing District of Indiana, particularly in
the Cities of East Chicago, Indiana Harbor, Hammond, and Michigan

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary from information on file at the Society


City. By his construction and development of the railroad facilities
of that District he laid the groundwork for, and made possible, the
present tremendous growth of these localities. He retained an active
interest in the Calumet District until his death, and the recently com-
pleted building for the First Calumet Trust and Savings Bank, at East
Chicago, which is the finest bank building in Northern Indiana and
was erected under the personal direction of Mr. Hotchkiss, together
with the Indiana Harbor Belt Eailroad, are the two outstanding monu-
ments to his activities in that region. He also had large real estate
holdings there, extending from Laporte and Michigan City, Ind., to
Chicago, 111.

Mr. Hotchkiss is survived by his widow, Mrs. Mary Jayne Hotch-
kiss, and by two brothers and one sister.

He was a member of the Chicago, Mid Day, Press and Engineers'
Clubs, and of the Indiana Society, of Chicago, 111.; Duquesne Club,
of Pittsburgh, Pa. ; the Lavpyers', Engineers', Transportation, and Rich-
mond County Country Clubs, of New York City ; the Western Society of
Engineers ; the American Railway Engineering Association ; and a Life
Member of the Art Institute of Chicago. He was also a member of
the Protestant Episcopal Church and the Medinah Temple Shrine.

Mr. Hotchkiss was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers on January 5th, 1898.



Died February 27th, 1917.

William Henry Hunter, the son of Henry Hunter, was born at
Cork, Ireland, on June 16th, 1849. While he was quite young, his
parents removed to England, and the boy was educated at private
schools at his home in Sunderland and at the College of Physical
Science, University of Durham, at Newcastle-on-Tyne.

In 1866, he entered the Engineering Workshops of the River Wear
Commissioners where he remained until 1868, when he went into the
office of the late Thomas Meik as a pupil.

Having served his pupilage, Mr. Hunter," in January, 1870, was
employed as Assistant in the office of Messrs. Meik and Nisbet, Harbor
and Dock Engineers, of Edinburgh and Sunderland, and was engaged
on harbor and dock work on the Rivers Wear, Blyth, and Coquet, at
Burntisland and Ayr, and also on surveys for the Hylton, Southwick,
and Monkwearmouth Railway, a branch of the North Eastern Railway.

From January, 1872, to September, 1873, he served as Resident
Engineer on the construction of the Hylton, Southwick, and Monkwear-
mouth Railway in the County of Durham. He then accepted the posi-
tion of Assistant Engineer on the reconstruction of the River Weaver
Navigation, in the County of Chester, and remained in that position
until 1882. The work consisted of enlarging and adapting the River
Weaver for navigation by large barges and coasting vessels, thus giving
commercial outlet to the interests engaged in the Cheshire salt trade.

From 1882 to 1885, Mr. Hunter was engaged as Chief Assistant to
the late Sir Edward Leader Williams, on the surveys, preparation of
designs, and Parliamentary contests, in connection with the project
to connect the City of Manchester with the sea by a ship canal, and on
work for the regulation and improvement of the River Dee in Cheshire
and North Wales.

In 1885, when the Manchester Ship Canal Company was incor-
porated, Mr. Hunter was appointed Assistant Chief Engineer, and, as
such, was directly and responsibly concerned with all the engineering
operations connected with the actual design and construction of that
waterway, including the Canal proper and all its auxiliary works.

In 1895, he was made Engineer and, in 1896, Chief Engineer of
the Manchester Ship Canal, which position he held until 1910. During
this time Mr. Hunter had charge of the maintenance of the entire
project and carried out all additional works necessary to its develop-
ment, including the extension of the great system of docks, railways,

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary from information on file at the Society


etc. It was during his incumbency as Chief Engineer, that the new
Dock jSTo. 9 was opened, with great ceremony, by His Majesty, the late
King Edward VII, on July 5th, 1905.

In 1910, Mr. Hunter was appointed Consulting Engineer of the
Manchester Ship Canal, which position he held until his death, which
occurred at his home at Bank House, Woodley, Cheshire, on February
27th, 1917.

Mr. Hunter was recognized as the foremost English authority on
canal and harbor construction, equipment, and operation. In 1898,
he was appointed a member of the Comite Technique which was con-
stituted by the French Government to consider and prepare plans, for
the New Panama Canal Company, for the French Panama Canal, and,
in 1905, at the request of the United States Government, he became a
member of the Advisory Board of Consulting Engineers, appointed by
the President to consider and report on the plans for the American
Panama Canal project, for which he strongly favored a sea-level, as
against a lock, canal.

Mr. Hunter was a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers and
frequently took part in the discussion of papers on canals and water-
works. He also presented a paper on the "Artificial Waterways in
Great Britain",* before the International Engineering Congress, held
in St. Louis, Mo., in 1904, under the auspices of the Society.

He was also a member of the Society of Arts and the Manchester
Association of Engineers, and a Commissioner for the jSTavigation for
the Upper Mersey. Mr. Hunter was of a deeply religious nature and
was a devoted member of the Plymouth Brethren, frequently preaching
and taking an active part in their meetings in Lancashire and Cheshire.
A strenuous business man, he was noted for his gentleness and courtesy
as husband, father, and host, and his love for children and their love
for him was a frequent cause of remark. He is survived by his widow
and three children.

Mr. Hunter was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on February 7th, 1906.

* Transactions, Am. Soc. C. E., Vol. LIV, Part F, p. 183.



Died July 5th, 1917.

James Edgar Jenkins was born in Vernon, N. Y., on November
25tli, 1878. He received his early education in the Vernon schools,
and was graduated from the village High School in 1896.

His father, Josiah W. Jenkins, is a well-known surveyor and hy-
draulic engineer, and from him the boy learned the rudiments of engi-
neering so well that he qualified as Rodman with the United States
Deep Waterways Survey, on which work he was engaged during

In 1898, the Utica Gas and Electric Company undertook the hydro-
electric development of West Canada Creek, at Trenton Falls, N. Y.,
and, for nearly three years, Mr. Jenkins was Instrumentman and
Inspector on this project.

In the mid- term of 1900, he entered Rensselaer Polytechnic Insti-
tute where he quickly overtook his class, and was graduated in excel-
lent standing with the degree of C. E. in 1904. During his summer
vacations he was employed as Instrumentman on the Rutland Cana-
dian Railroad and the Fort Plain. N. Y., Water- Works.

Immediately after his graduation, Mr. Jenkins entered the employ
of the engineers in charge of the Pennsylvania Railroad Tunnels, in
New York City, as Rodman, and shortly became Chief of Alignment
on the East River Division. This led to a position as Engineer with
the Naughton Company and Arthur Mc]\: ullen, on Sections A and B.

For the next three years he was Engineer for the Thomas Crimmins
Contracting Company, on Barge Canal Contract No. 9 and on several
minor contracts in New York City.

Mr. Jenkins was then employed as Engineer for Smith, Hauser,
Locher and Company, on Aqueduct Contract No. 66, which position
he retained for nearly three years. While engaged on this work his
health began to fail, due to pulmonary trouble, and he sought to regain
it by a stay at Southern Pines, N. C. This sojourn was short-
ened, in order that he might undertake the alterations of the dam,
spillways, etc., of the Union Manufacturing and Power Company, on
Broad River, South Carolina.

Shortly thereafter, in March, 1915, Mr. Jenkins became Superin-
tendent for the Cook Construction Company, on Contract No. 2 of
the Montreal Aqueduct Enlargement. When this work was closed
down by war conditions, he returned to New York and, after a brief
rest, took charge of the erection of a large concrete chemical mill at

* Memoir prepared by H. R. Beebe. Assoc. M. Am. Soc. C. E.


Buffalo for the contractors, the John W. Cowper Company. This con-
tract was carried out during the winter of 1916-17, and on the comple-
tion of the work Mr. Jenkins' health was so precarious that he returned
to his home in New York to recuperate. Shortly afterward, however, he
became associated with the writer in constructing a roundhouse at North
White Plains, but, before its completion, he was obliged to leave for
a sanitarium at Saranac Lake, N. Y., at which place he died of tuber-
culosis, on July 5th, 1917.

From the foregoing summary of his activities, it will be noted that
Mr. Jenkins was never idle. In his spare moments, he was a frequent
visitor to the Society House, and had a large acquaintance among the
members. He was of an inventive turn of mind, and had patented
several devices along mechanical lines, including an automatic flash-
board and a snow-melting furnace. This furnace he had intended to
try out on a commercial scale during the coming winter, and it was
expected that it would be so efficient that large numbers would be used
in competition with the ordinary methods of snow removal.

Mr. Jenkins' early death was due in large part to his unwillingness
to recognize the signs of failing health. He seemed to have a convic-
tion that his body was a machine which, with minor repairs, could be
run indefinitely, and that overhaul could be put off safely until his
complete convenience. In spite of ill-health, his mind and judgment
were not affected, and his cheerfulness was the admiration of all who
knew him. That his career was cut so short is a source of deep grief
to his friends and to those acquaintances who recognized in his pro-
fessional attainments the promise of a bright future.

In June, 1907, Mr. Jenkins was married to Miss Helen Day, of
New York City. He is survived by his widow and two children, a
girl of seven and a boy of five, and also by his parents, Mr. and Mrs.
J. W. Jenkins, of Vernon, N. Y., and one sister, Mrs. Carl H. Dudley,
of Silver Creek, N. Y.

Mr. Jenkins was elected an Associate Member of the American
Society of Civil Engineers on December 5th, 1906, and a Member on
March 14th, 1916.


WALTER KATTE, M. Am. Soc. C. E.*

Died March 4th, 1917.

Walter Katte was born in London, England, on N^ovember 14th,
1830. He was the son of Edwin Katte, and the grandson of Edwin
Katte, a political refugee from Prussia during the reign of Frederick
the Great. His mother, Isabel Chambers, was the granddaughter of
John Chambers, a celebrated boat builder on the Thames, London.
Walter Katte was educated in Kings College School, London, and,
after his graduation, spent three years as an apprentice in the office
of a civil engineer.

In 1849, he came to the United States and entered American rail-
road service as Clerk and Draftsman for the Chief Engineer of the
Central Railroad of New Jersey, from Whitehouse to Easton, Pa.
Later, he served as a Rodman and Assistant Engineer on the Belvidere
and Delaware Railroad. In the early Fifties, he acted as Engineer for
a land development company, and laid out the Town of Deerman,
now Irvington-on-Hudson, IST. Y.

During the three years following 1854, Mr. Katte was Chief Assist-
ant Engineer on the Western Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Later, he acted, successively, as Resident Engineer of the Pennsjdvania
State Canals, as Assistant Engineer of the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and
Chicago Railroad, and the Pittsburgh and Steubenville Railroad, until
the breaking out of the Civil War.

In 1859, he was married, in Greensburg, Pa., to his first wife,
Margaret Jack, who died in 1864, leaving one son.

During 1861 and 1862, Mr. Katte served as a Colonel of Engineers
in the Union Army, being commissioned from civil life to a staff posi-
tion. He was assigned to bridge work in Washington, D. C, and at
various points in Virginia and Maryland. He was the engineer in
charge of the construction of the so-called "Long Bridge" over the
Potomac River at Washington. While in this position, he had an experi-
ence with the great cavalry leader. General Philip Kearny. Returning
one night from Washington to his regiment, which was quartered
across the Potomac, the General sent his orderly ahead to demand
passage over the bridge and received word that it was not in condition
for traffic. He immediately rode his horse at full speed on to the
bridge and, on being stopped peremptorily by Col. Katte, demanded
an explanation as to why he was not permitted to proceed. Col. Katte
quietly explained that a gap of 100 ft. or more in the bridge structure

* Memoir prepared by George W. Kittredge, M. Am. Soc. C. E.


would prevent his further progress, except by swimming. Commenting
editorially, a New York daily paper said:

''In the Civil War nothing was more important to the safety of
Washington than keeping the railroads and bridges in its neighborhood
in perfect shape. This work Col. Katte supervised efficiently. Though
not won on the battlefield, his military title stood for active, energetic
work in the interests of military defense."

In 18'G3, Col. Katte was engaged as Chief Engineer of the Lewiston
Branch of the Pennsylvania Eailroad, and, later, as Resident Engineer
and Engineer of Bridges and Buildings on the Northern Central Rail-
road, from Baltimore, Md., to Elmira, N. Y.

Col. Katte compiled and wrote the first "Carnegie Pocket Com-
panion" published, and, recently, at the request of the Carnegie Steel
Company, wrote the history thereof, as follows:

"In 1865 to 1868, I was resident in Pittsburgh as Engineer and
Secretary of the Keystone Bridge Company. In 1868, that company
and the Union Iron Mills of Pittsburgh (Carnegie Bros., Kloman, Phipps
& Co.) decided to enter the western field in competitive business and
to establish an office and representative in Chicago for that purpose;
I was chosen for that position. The Keystone Bridge Company had
at that time already under contract the manufacture and erection
of the superstructures of the Hannibal & St. Joe Railroad Company's
bridge over the Missouri River, at Kansas City, and the Illinois Cen-
tral Railroad Company's bridge over the Mississippi River, at Dubuque.
la., also was negotiating contracts for bridges, later consummated, for
Mississippi River at Keokuk, la., Louisiana, Mo., and St. Louis, Mo.

"I proceeded to Chicago and opened there the western office of the
Keystone Bridge Company and the Union Iron Mills, of Pittsburgh.
Pa., and took personal charge, as agent and representative, of the field
operations under these contracts.

"In 1870. negotiations for the great steel arch bridge over the
Mississippi River at St. Louis were being actively promoted by Mr.
Andrew Carnegie and myself, and finally consummated in the execu-
tion of a contract, signed by Capt. James B. Eads, as President of the
Illinois & St. Louis Bridge Company, and by myself, on the part of
the Keystone Bridge Company, under the terms of which, the Keystone
Bridge Company undertook and obligated itself to perfect the mechan-
ical details of the shop drawings of the superstructures, supply all
materials for, and manufacture of, same, design plans for erection, and
to erect it and assume all responsibility for the successful completion
of the erection.

"I was assigned to take personal charge, as Resident Engineer, of
said erection. As the responsibility for the successful consummation
of same was of extreme gravity, I felt the paramount necessity of my
personal presence on the work continuously, which, of course, resulted
in the closing of my office in Chicago and the removal of same to
St. Louis, which was effected early in 1871, and the joint Western
office of the Keystone Bridge Company and the Union Iron Mills, of



Pittsburgh, Pa., was opened under my charge at No. 211 Washington
Avenue, St. Louis, Mo.

"About this time, or a little later, Mr, Thomas Carnegie sug-
gested to me his desire to issue a handy 'Pocket Book' as a desirable
assistant to Engineers and Architects in making proper selections,
suited to their requirements, of the various products of the Union Iron
Mills and asked me to compile the mss. for it, which I did. It was all
written by my own hand from time to time in such leisure moments as
were available, notwithstanding the pressing demands of my every day
work, most of it done at home in evenings— and that's about all the
early history that this little progenitor has to claim. It proved, how-
ever, a great success when issued, and there was, so Thomas Carnegie
told me, a great demand for it, and he wrote me that he had received
many letters from Engineers and Architects using it— highly extolling
its usefulness and wondering why such a handy little vade mecum had
not been issued long before."

While living in St. Louis, Col. Katte was married to Elizabeth
Pendleton Britton, daughter of the Hon. James H. Britton, a prominent
banker and later Mayor of that city.

After the completion of the St. Louis Bridge, Col. Katte was called
to New York City to take the position of Chief Engineer of the New
York Elevated Railroad Company, and from 1877 to 1880, he built the
initial portions of the Third Avenue and Ninth Avenue Elevated
Railroads, which were the first elevated steam railroads.

His next work was the construction of the New York, Ontario and
Western Railroad, from Weehawken, N. J., to Middletown, N. Y. ;
then the building of the West Shore Railroad from New York City
to Buffalo, which was followed by the construction of the Jersey Junc-
tion Railroad, connecting the West Shore Railroad with the Pennsyl-
vania Railroad, at Jersey City. This work occupied his time between
1880 and 1886.

In 1886, Col. Katte became Chief Engineer of the New York Cen-
tral and Hudson River Railroad Company, which, at that time, ab-
sorbed the West Shore Railroad. His most important work while
in the employ of this Company was the four-tracking and depress-
ing of the tracks, in New York City, north of the Harlem River, this
work being known as the Harlem Depression; the construction of the
four-track steel viaduct in Park Avenue, New York City, and the four-
track drawbridge over the Harlem River, which is still the largest
drawbridge in existence. In 1898, Col. Katte resigned his position with
the New York Central Company and, in his letter of resignation,
stated: "The recent absorption of other railroad lines into the Yander-
bilt System had so multiplied the duties of the ofiice of the Chief Engi-
neer, that he felt that a younger man was necessary for the work."
In accepting his resignation, the Hon. Chauncey M. Depew, then Presi-
dent of the Railroad Company said: "Col. Katte is one of the fore-


most engineers in the world. He is still connected with the ISTew York
Central and Hudson Eiver Railroad Company as Consulting Engineer,
and will be as long as he lives."

Col. Katte was one of the original thirteen founders of the Western
Society of Civil Engineers of which he only recently was elected an
Honorary Member. He was also a member of the Institution of Civil
Engineers, of Great Britain.

During his active engineering life. Col. Katte made frequent con-
tributions to technical papers and to the Transactions of the National
Engineering Societies. He published one of the first sets of standard
specifications for railroad construction work, and had taken out several
U. S. Patents, the one in most general use being his so-called "Three-tie
rail joint."

Important daily papers at the time of Col. Katte's death were
unanimous in their expression of the fine quality of his engineering
work, one commenting editorially as follows :

^'Col. Katte was a fine American, a great railroad uilder, and had
won first place among our civil engineers * * *. He knew and
cared little about the devious ways of financing railroads; everything
about construction and operation. Half a century of such activity
fairly earned a period of repose. Col. Katte's later years were peaceful,
calm, uneventful. He will live in the memory of his profession as a
man who saw things clearly and who did things thoroughly. That is,
from the practical viewpoint, the highest of encomiums."

Col. Katte enjoyed nearly nineteen years in quiet retirement. His
health was excellent, with the exception of almost total deafness ; his
mind alert and vigorous; his spirit strong and serene until the day of
his death. He died at his home, in New York City, on March 4th, 1917,
and is survived by a widow, two sons, and a daughter.

Col. Katte was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on October 7th, 1868, and served as a Director in 1885
and 1889.



Died October 11th, 1915.

Mr. King was born in Orange County, Virginia, on December 29th,
1848, and was a direct descendant of Colonel William Byrd, who
founded Richmond in 1733.

His early education was through tutors and private neighborhood
schools. Later, he took academic work at Locust-Dale College and some
engineering courses at the University of Virginia.

In 1873 Mr. King went to Texas, where he engaged in land svir-
veying, principally the demarcation of railway land grants in the Far
West. He continued this pioneer work, under all sorts of hardships
and dangers, until 1879, when he was appointed Assistant Engineer
on Construction of the Texas and Pacific Railway, and later of the
Fort Worth and Denver City Railway, and the Missouri, Kansas and
Texas Railway, in Texas.

Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 156 of 167)