American Society of Civil Engineers.

Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) online

. (page 158 of 167)
Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 158 of 167)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

of the Engineering Department of the Company. While in this
position, he designed and constructed the new freight yards and
stockyards at Detroit and made the plans for the new Passenger Station
at that place, as well as the improvements connected therewith.

In 1882, he entered the service of the Detroit, Mackinaw and
Marquette Railroad Company as General Superintendent and Chief
Engineer. In this capacity he had charge of the car ferry service
over the Straits of Mackinac, and introduced the first successful ice-
crushing craft, by placing a propeller at the bow as well as at the
stern of the ferry. ^Vllile in the employ of this Company he extended
the line to Ishpeming and Negaunee, Mich., in order to tap the
extensive iron mines in that region.

In 1885, Mr. McCool was made General Manager of the St. Joseph
and Grand Island Railroad, with headquarters at St. Joseph, Mo.
He was also President of the St. Joseph Terminal Company, and
built the Kansas City and Omaha Railroad, a distance of 200 miles,
as a feeder to the St. Joseph and Grand Island.

In 1888, he became General Manager of the Santa Fe and Cali-
fornia Railroad, and during his connection with that Company added
100 miles to its lines.

вЩ¶Memoir prepared by the Secretary from information on file at the Society


In 1889, Mr. McCool retired from railroad work and made an
extended tour in Europe. On his return to the United States, he
organized, in 1898, the Newaygo Portland Cement Company, at
Newaygo, Mich., with which he was identified at the time of his death,
having served as its President for many years and having been largely
instrumental in putting it on a paying basis. Under his direction,
the marl beds near Newaygo, belonging to the Company, were devel-
oped, the local power dam was built, and the great plant of the Com-
pany was constructed. In addition to his work as President of the
Newaygo Portland Cement Company, Mr. McCool was prominently
identified with the Edison Electric Light Company, of Grand Rapids,
Mich., of which he became President in 1901. He was also interested
in many other local enterprises.

In the summer of 1899, Mr. McCool sustained serious injuries
in a runaway accident from which he never fully recovered. A
short time before his ' death, he had entered the Henry Eord Hos-
pital, at Detroit, Mich., for treatment, and had returned to his home
in Grand Rapids apparently greatly improved. He had continued
actively in the business of the Newaygo Portland Cement Company and
had visited the plant only a few days before the brief illness which
caused his death.

Mr. McCool is survived by his widow, who was Miss Kate Fisher,
of Batavia, N. Y., and one brother, Mr. William A. Tench, of Detroit,

In Grand Rapids and Newaygo, Mr. McCool was widely known for
his benevolent and philanthropic work, having been actively identified
with many charitable movements in both places. In the business
world his influence was strong and progressive, and he commanded
high esteem among men of large affairs. His funeral took place at
Batavia, N. Y., and out of respect for him who had been its founder
and President, the hour was marked by the complete cessation of
operations at the plant and power house of the Newaygo Portland
Cement Company.

Mr. McCool was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers on September 5th, 1883.



Died May 3d, 1916.

Theodore Hall McKenzie was bom in Yalesville, Conn., on March
29th, 1847. His father, William McKenzie, was a native of Scotland,
who came to America when a young man and engaged as a contractor
in the construction of buildings and stone bridges. His mother, Tem-
perance (Hall) McKenzie. was a descendant of an old Connecticut
family, and had great strength of character.

During boyhood, Theodore Hall McKenzie attended schools in
Wallingford and Meriden, Conn., and, later, took the Scientific Course
at the Literary Institute, in Suffield, where he studied Surveying.
When still a lad, he read many scientific books, and during 1866-68
he assisted his father in the construction of public works.

From 1868 to 1872 he worked with location and construction parties
on several railroads in Connecticut and Massachusetts. During this
period, he took private lessons under professors of the Sheffield Scien-
tific School of Yale. He then became, for two years, Division and
Resident Engineer on the Providence and Springfield Railroad. From
1875 to 1878, he was City Engineer of Meriden, Conn., where he pre-
pared plans, under the direction of the late E. S. Chesbrough, Past-
President, Am. Soc. C. E., for the sewerage of that city, and also
built reservoirs for an addition to its water supply.

In 1878 Mr. McKenzie was elected Secretary of the Peck, Stow and
Wilcox Company, hardware manufacturers, of Sovithington, Conn.,
which position he held for 10 years. During this period, he designed
and built the water-works of Southington and Plainville. He also
planned a sewage disposal plant for Meriden, which was the first in
Connecticut. A paper on "The Water- Works of Southington, Con-
necticut",t was written by him and presented before the Society.

After 1888, Mr. McKenzie maintained offices in Southington and
Hartford, and served as Consulting Engineer on the construction of
fourteen water-works and twelve sewerage systems. Among these may
be mentioned the water-works at ISFaugatuck, Litchfield, Wallingford,
Simsbury, Terryville, JSTewton, and South Manchester, Conn., and
Brewster, N. Y. ; sewage disposal plants at Manchester, South Man-
chester, Norfolk, Bristol, Ridgefield, and Sharon, Conn., Johnstown
and Gloversville, N. Y., and Princeton, N. J. ; also water-power develop-
ments at Berlin, Conn., and Croton Falls, N. Y. Since 1906, he had
been largely engaged in the appraisal of mills and water power on the
Croton and Ashokan water-sheds f or the supply of the City of New

* Memoir prepared by Mansfield Merriman, M. Am. Soc. C. E.
t Transactions, Am. Soc. C. E., Vol. XV (1886). p. 885.


York, and on similar work for the Barge Canal in New York State.
He was frequently an expert witness in litigations regarding such

In 1SS7, the Legislature of Connecticut constituted a State Board
of Civil Engineers to inspect dams and to approve plans for new dams
and reservoirs; Mr. McKenzie was a member of this Board for more
than a quarter of a century, and, during part of that time, he was its

Mr. McKenzie was Secretary and Superintendent of the South-
ington Water Company for 27 years, and Secretary and Manager of
the Terryville Water Company for 4 years. He served as the Engineer
Member of the Connecticut State Board of Health for 20 years. He
was a member of the Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers, of the
New England Water- Works Association, and of the American Public
Health Association. He was also a member of the Masonic fraternity,
and of the Baptist Church.

He was a hard worker in his profession, but, in his home, he loved
the recreation of music, and out-of-doors he regarded horses as one of
the best relaxations from the cares of life. His favorite counsel to
young men was to learn thoroughly some business or profession and
to abstain entirely from tobacco and liquors. Mr. McKenzie was lield
in esteem by his business associates and by the community in which
he lived on account of his high character and pleasing personality.

He died suddenly, from an attack of heart disease, in his office in
Southington, shortly after having arrived there to begin the work of
the morning.

Albert B. Hill, M. Am. Soc. C. E., of New Haven, Conn., writes as
follows regarding Mr. McKenzie:

"I was not intimately acquainted with him and was never associated
with him on any work, although I was on the opposite side in several
water cases. His services were much in demand as an expert in hy-
draulic cases, not only in his own State but in neighboring States. He
was very zealous for the interests of his clients and considerate of his

"He had a very pleasant, agreeable personality, and will be greatly
missed in New England engineering circles."

Robert E. Horton, M. Am. Soc. C. E., of Albany, N. Y., writes as
follows :

"I knew Theodore H. McKenzie quite intimately during the period
from 1906 until the time of his death. My association with him was
largely in the matter of preparation of technical evidence in water-
power claims on Esopus Creek. However, he was also associated with
me in the defense of certain water-power and flood claims arising from
the construction of the Barge Canal, we being both employed by the
State of New York on these matters. We were also associated on cer-
tain matters involving water-power and water supplies, quite a number


of matters, in fact, in New England. I would say of Mr. McKenzie
that one might on first acquaintance easily misjudge him because of
his inclination to be apparently brusque and very direct and frank in
anything he had to say. The frankness and directness were true char-
acteristics of the man. The brusqueness was apparent, not real, as on
better acquaintance he was found to be exceedingly genial and cordial,
in fact, I have known but few men who were so carefully and con-
sistently loyal and devoted to their friends as Mr. McKenzie.

"In professional work Mr. McKenzie may be said to liave belonged
to the older school of practical engineers. The methods which he
adopted for the solution of problems were nearly always simple and
direct. He had had a very wide experience in engineering work in
certain lines, especially water supply, sewerage,_and water-power work.
This experience had given him most excellent judgment in matters to
which it related. He would reach conclusions at times in so simple
and direct a manner as perhaps to arouse suspicion on the part of some
of the younger generation who believe that correct results in similar
matters can only be reached through long processes of calculation. To
one, however, who knew Mr. McKenzie's rich experience, his judg-
ment would be most highly esteemed.

"Mr. McKenzie was at times somewhat severe in his criticism of
those whom he believed to be dishonest or unprincipled in their
actions. He was himself apparently incapable of anything but abso-
lute frankness. This trait was often evident in his work as an expert
witness, wherein he would very readily admit any necessary qualifica-
tion of testimony he had given which was brought to his attention.
This was at times perhaps a little distressing to attorneys with whom
he was associated, but, on the other hand, he numbered among his
most steadfast friends many attorneys prominent in the trial of
technical cases, both those with whom he had been associated and
those whom he had opposed."

On October 11th, 1871, Mr. McKenzie was married to Mary E. Neal,
daughter of Eoswell A. and Eunice (Atkins) Neal, of Southington,
Conn. She survives him, with two sons, Samuel H. and William A.
McKenzie, and two daughters, Eunice J. and Fanny L. McKenzie.

Mr. McKenzie was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers on September 7th, 1881.



Died May 13th, 1917.

His many friends and associates were shocked beyond measure by
the dreadful tragedy which culminated in the death of Stanley Alfred
Miller and his assistant, Mr. Epaphroditus Hawkins, which took place
about 42 miles from La Romana, Santo Domingo, on the morning of
May 13th, 1917.

Stanley Alfred Miller was born in New Orleans, La., on May 27th,
1882, of one of the fine old families which have made his native State
so famous by their ideals and accomplishments, and whose traditions
he consistently maintained. He was educated at local schools and at
the Louisiana State University, where he was one of the youngest

His professional work began like that of most engineers, as Rod-
man, Levelman, Instrumentman, etc. Then, he was Assistant Engi-
neer on sewers, and on levee construction and railways. At the age
of 19, however, Mr. Miller was Assistant Engineer to the Board of
Public Works of Mobile, Ala., engaged in design and construction.
As Assistant to various consulting engineers he was employed on the
siirvey, design, and construction of sewers and water-works for Baton
Rouge, La., Mobile, Ala., Dallas, Tex., and Ardmore and South
McAlester, Okla. In 1904, he served as Resident Engineer on the
Chihuahua and Pacific Railroad, and, in 1905, he was with S. Pearson
and Son, Limited, Contractors, of London, England, on the construc-
tion of Port Works at Coatzacoalcos (now Puerto, Mexico), having
been for a time in direct charge of the contractors' labor forces on the
terminal yards and jetties. This will be recognized by all engineers
as a position of great responsibility for a man of his age.

This was followed by his work for the Mexican Light and Power
Company, near Necaxa, Mexico, in 1906, in local charge of the con-
struction of Earth Dams Nos. 1 and 3, and Tunnel No. 1, where his
infinite care and attention to every detail proved to be the source of
much valuable information to his associates.

While living in the semi-permanent camp near the dams, Mr. Miller
was returning to his quarters after a midnight inspection of some of
the work, when he stumbled over a severely wounded Mexican laborer.
Having no assistance, and in spite of the fact that he was not a large
man physically, he picked up the wounded man, carried him to his own
cabin, and telephoned for a doctor. It was raining heavily, and the
doctor was miles away attending to other patients, so Mr. Miller, by
the light of a flickering and temporary arc lamp, dressed the abdom-

* Memoir prepared by Verne LeRoy Havens, M. Am. Soc. O. E.


inal wounds, the operation requiring many stitches. The man was
doomed in any event, but Mr. Miller's efforts maintained the spark of
life until his family could get to him.

Mr. Miller was engaged in the construction of a 7-mile sewer for
Paducah, Ky., and paving and sewerage for Cairo, 111., in 1906 and
1907. He was also Assistant Engineer on hydro-electric projects in
California and Colorado in 1907 and 1908.

During the next three years, he was in charge of the Azua
Irrigation Project, in Santo Domingo. On this work his duties were
manifold and trying, but he completed them to his own satisfaction,
and to those who knew him, the meaning of that statement will be
clear, as he was his own most meticulous taskmaster. His work con-
sisted of surveys and plans for, and reports on, the watering of 50 000
acres of sugar lands, and a hydro-electric development. After this, he
took charge of the location of 55 miles of improved highways for
Copiah County, Miss., and the construction of a portion of the work.
He then joined the forces of the Uruguay Railway Company, and was
placed in charge of railway location and construction, and the build-
ing of a reinforced concrete wharf, bridges, buildings, etc.

When visiting one of the camps under his supervision on this work,
at Paloma del Sarandi, Mr. Miller found that one of the engineers had
died in such a manner that local burial was impossible, and, in view
of the refusal of the members of the party to assist him, he himself
prepared the body for transportation. Then, with no food from the
morning of one day until darkness of the second day, he traveled 60
miles, continuously, through the rainy night, in an ox-cart, secured
help at the county seat, bought the ground," obtained authority for the
burial, and organized a funeral, in order that the engineer might have
the last rites due him, and that his parents, in far off Europe, might
know where the body of their son lay.

On two separate occasions, Mr. Miller insisted on accompanying
the writer on long trips without explaining his reasons for doing so,
but the writer learned months afterwards that he had heard of threats
against him for fancied errors in company policy.

From October, 1914, until December, 1916, Mr. Miller was engaged
in general consultation practice at his home in Paducah, Ky. In this
capacity, he designed additional sewers for Paducah, reported on drain-
age projects in Kentucky, a hydro-electric plant in Mississippi, and
rates for a public utility corporation. He also became well known
throughout his adopted State by his earnest efforts, through the press
and various organizations, to improve the status of the engineer, to
eliminate engineering work from politics, and to further the general
interest in good' roads. He had built up a good practice, his work
being continued during his last absence in Santo Domingo.


On December 9th, 1916, Mr. Miller sailed from New York for Cen-
tral liomana, a sugar estate of the South Porto Eico Sugar Company,
to ''study a couple of rivers for hydro-electric and irrigation develop-
ment", and lived in camp to push the work. This apparently was
progressing nicely until the fateful Sunday morning of May 13th, 1917,
when his camp was attacked shortly after daylight by a bandit with
more than 100 men. The little party was quickly overpowered and led
to their death, which took place about an hour afterward. One Spanish
helper and a British negro Avere tied near ^Mr. Miller and Mr. Hawkins,
but only the latter were executed. Mr. Miller explained to the bandit
the nature of his work and its non-military character, but was told
that ''tlieir fault was beinsi' Americans." His only plea, that he be
allowed to write to his wife, was denied him. Mr. Miller's religious
convictions were known only to those who knew him intimately,
and it was his marvellous faith that the Divine Will would be done,
and his maxim that "one must meet his portion without flinching",
which undoubtedly formed the basis for his most extraordinary courage
in facing death.

To those who stay behind, the loss is always keen and enduring,
but the loss of Mr. Miller is felt with unusual regret. His rapid prog-
ress is proof to all of his professional value, and the younger engineers
already counted him as a leader. His State will feel the loss of an
able, analytical citizen, whose spirit was of the metal that tempers
entire communities. The writer was associated with Mr. Miller on
various works, and knows how much his friends will miss his counsel,
and how much all those who knew him will miss the fine innate sense
of justice, coupled with a knowledge of human weaknesses, which made
his quietly expressed opinions grow on one like the conception of a
fundamental law.

Mr. Miller was married to Miss Ann Bradshaw, of Paducah, Ivy.,
on March 16th, 1911. Their first daughter. Miss Yauban Miller, died
and was buried at sea, but their second daughter, Stanley Ann Miller,
who was born just six weeks before her father went to Santo Domingo,
together with her mother, survives him. He is also survived by his
father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Miller, his brother, Mr. W. E.
Miller, Jr., and his sister, Mrs. ^V. Molton Evans, all of Baton
Eouge, La.

Mr. Miller was a member of New England Water Works Association,
the Boston Society of Civil Engineers, and the Sigma Alpha Epsilon
I'raternity. He was elected a Junior of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on February 4th, 1902, an Associate Member on April 6th,
1909, and a Member on June 24th, 1916.



Died April 11th, 1916.

William Ridley I^eely, the son of Robert Johnson Neely and
Elizabeth Norfleet Ridley, was born on August 20th, 1872, in Ports-
mouth, Va. He was educated at private schools, first at a "Dame's
school" in Portsmouth, and then at Norfolk Academy, of Norfolk, Va.
He also attended the University of Virginia from 1888 to 1890.

The early years of Robert Johnson Neely, his father, were spent
at Newton, Pa., where the old Neely family homestead, built before
the Revolution, is now the property of the Daughters of the American
Revolution. Early in life he went to Portsmouth, Va., where he
was engaged as a lumber manufacturer. He became so identified with
the South that he fought with the Confederate Army all through the
Civil War. Mr. Neely's mother, Elizabeth Norfleet Ridley, is a
collateral descendant of Bishop Ridley who was burned to death for
religion's sake in the time of Mary Tudor. She was born and brought
up on a plantation near Portsmouth, Va., and was educated in convents
in South Carolina and at Richmond, Va. Her father was a well-known
landed proprietor of his section, a very fine type of the ante-bellum
country gentleman. William Ridley Neely's parentage and traditions
were all of the South, and he always took great pride in the develop-
ment of his home State.

Mr. Neely entered the service of the United States Engineer
Department, in the Vicksburg District, in October, 1891, and remained
in the employ of the Government for 8 years, being engaged mainly
on soundings, precise level work, topographical surveys, and compu-
tations, along the Mississippi and tributary rivers. In March, 1899,
he was furloughed to take service with the Isthmian Canal surveys
in Nicaragua, and remained there until April, 1900, at which time
he returned to the Vicksburg District and remained until 1904, in
charge of test borings and drafting plans and designing locks, dams,
and other structures. In connection with the test borings in the bed
of the Ouachita River, several deep borings were made to determine
the geological structure of the valley, notably at Catahoula Shoals,
Columbia, Rock Row Shoals, Jacks Island, and Newport Landing.
The information obtained has been utilized in the later reports on
the geology of Louisiana. The plans for the Ouachita locks and
dams embraced the designing of foundations in treacherous material,
concrete walls subject to earth and water pressure, steel lock gates, and
a variety of operating machinery, as well as the solution of many
hydraulic problems.

* Memoir prepared by James P. Sanborn, Assoc. M. Am. Soc. C. E.


In May, 1904, Mr. JSTeely was furloughed to take up engineering
work at the West Point Military Academy, where he remained until
October, 1906, on work connected with the increase of the water supply
for the military reservation there. This involved the location of the
pipe line through most difficult comitry and its actual laying, the
length of the line being approximately 6 miles, and the pipe 20 in. in
diameter. Mr. Neely did most of the field work connected with this
project, and his superior officer considered the service which he ren-
dered very satisfactory. He also assisted in designing the filters which
were to be built at West Point.

In October, 1906, Mr. Neely entered the service of the State of
New York, as Assistant Engineer in the Engineering Department of
the Barge Canal, and continued with that work for more than two
years. D. A. Watt, M. Am. Soc. C. E., who was at that time Assistant
Engineer, in charge of the Designing Office of the New York State
Barge Canal, says :

"He [Mr. Neely] assisted me during that time in preparing the
plans for some of the chief sections of the canal, such as the cross-
country line just west of Rochester, which comprised two high-lift
locks, as well as very heavy cuts and embankments; the line through
Phoenix on the Oswego River; and the line through Little Falls. The
latter included a lock of 40^ ft. lift, as well as difficult work in carry-
ing the canal through a narrow gorge and along the side of a rock
bluff overhanging the Mohawk River. I found Mr. Neely an able
man. He was a very hard worker and had originality and accuracy,
and I was very sorry to lose his services. He left to accept a more
promising position with the State Water Supply Commission."

In the spring of 1908, Mr. Neely was employed as Resident Engi-
neer in charge of two field parties making topographical surveys and
maps of the basin of the proposed big Sacandaga Storage Reservoir,
near Northville, N. Y., as well as surveys of the storage possibilities at
Piseco, Pleasant, and Schroon Lakes. In 1909, he was re-engaged
by the State Water Supply Commission, but soon after resigned.
Horace Ropes, M. Am. Soc. C. E., speaks of him, as follows: "Mr.
Neely was an active and industrioiis worker, an agreeable person, well

Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 158 of 167)