American Society of Civil Engineers.

Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) online

. (page 162 of 167)
Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 162 of 167)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

kindness. Those who have had an insight into his private life have
characterised his devotion as extraordinary."

Por a number of years Mr. Voorhees was a Vestryman of St. Luke's
Protestant Episcopal Church, Philadelphia, in which he felt a great

His funeral was held at his home in Elkins Park on Tuesday,
March 14th, 1916. About 400 prominent railroad officers, bankers,
and professional men were present. As a mark of respect, all trains
throughout the Reading System were brought to a stop for one minute,
at 11 A. M., the hour of the funeral services.

Mr. Voorhees was elected a Member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers on May 6th, 1885. He served as a Director in 1890.



Died December 9th, 1916.

Edmund Brownell Weston, the son of the Hon. Gershom Bradford
and Deborah (Brownell) Weston, was born in Diixbury, Mass., on
March 25th, 1850. He was descended from a family famous as ship-
builders and shipowners whose vessels were known in every seaport
of the world. In 1842, the firm, the E. Weston Company, was rated
by Lloyd's, of London, as the greatest shipping concern in the world.
Mr. Weston's father was a member of the Convention which nominated
John C. Fremont for the Presidency in 1856, and also of that which
nominated Abraham Lincoln in 1860. His mother belonged to the
Brownell family of Little Compton, R. I.

Mr. Weston was educated in the public schools and at the Partridge
Academy of his native town, the Highland Military Academy at
Worcester, Mass., and by private tutors.

From 1871 to 1874, he was a student in the office of the late Joel
Herbert Shedd, M. Am. Soc. C. E., then Chief Engineer of the Provi-
dence, R. I., Water- Works which were being constructed at that time.
In 1874, Mr. Weston was appointed Assistant Engineer on that work,
and held that position until 1877 when Mr. Shedd resigned. Early
in 1877, when Samuel M. Gray, M. Am. Soc. C. E., was elected Chief
Engineer and Superintendent of the Water- Works to- succeed Mr.
Shedd, Mr. Weston was appointed one of his Assistant Engineers,
and, in this capacity, had charge of the Water Department until
1897, when he resigned to engage in private practice as a Consulting

Mr. Weston had been in poor health for a year, but had only been
confined to his bed about two months when his death occurred, from
hardening of the arteries, at the Des Brisay Hospital, at Boston, Mass.
He is survived by two brothers and one sister, all residing in Boston,

At the time of his death, Mr. Weston was President of the Jewell
Export Filter Company, of Providence, R. I., and was widely known
as a hydraulic engineer. He had designed and constructed filtration
systems, in connection with water-works, in many cities, both in
America and abroad, and had traveled practically over the civilized
world studying systems of water filtration wherever he went. Until
the war broke out in Europe, in 1914, he had spent every summer

In addition to his practical work on hydraulics, Mr. Weston had
contributed much to the literature on the subject, his best known

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary from information on file at the Society


work being "Friction of Water in Pipes", published in 1873. He had
also contributed many discussions and four papers on the subject to
the Transactions of the Society, namely, "Description of Some Experi-
ments on the Flow of Water Through 2^-Inch Rubber Hose and
Nozzles of Various Forms and Sizes, Made in the Providence, R. I.,
Water- Works. Also Results of Investigations Relating to the Height
of Jets of Water" (1884) ; "Description of Some Experiments Made
in the Providence, R. I., Water-Works, to Ascertain the Force of
Water in Pipes" (1885) ; "The Results of Investigations Relative to
Formulas for the Flow of Water in Pipe" (1890); and "Test of a
Mechanical Filter" (1900).

Mr. Weston was a member of the University Club, of Providence,
R. I. ; the India House Club, of New York City ; the Boston Society
of Civil Engineers; the Institution of Civil Engineers of Great
Britain ; and the Authors and Royal Societies of London, England.
He was also a member of Corinthian Lodge, F. and A. M., of Provi-
dence, R. I.

The following resolution on the death of Mr. Weston was adopted
unanimously by the Directors of the Jewell Export Filter Company:

Resolved: That the Company and the Board of Directors have suf-
fered a great loss in the death of Mr. Edmund B. Weston, so long the
President and General Manager of this Company, and its Consulting
Engineer, and that the Board take this occasion to express its appre-
ciation of the long and faithful service that Mr. Weston rendered the
Company, fuUy realizing that he at all times gave the Company that
valuable service which was the result of his intimate knowledge of
the business and affairs of the Company and the matters in which it
has been engaged, and further realizing that Mr. Weston rendered
this service oftentimes handicapped with the discouragement of physical
ailments which would have taxed the determination of men less faithful
than he; and it is further

Resolved: That copies of the above resolution be sent to the Exec-
utors of Mr. Weston's estate.

Mr. Weston was elected a Member of the American . Society of
Civil Engineers, on December 6th, 1882.



Died March 29th, 1917.

Edward Thomas Wright was born at Elgin, III, on June 30th,
1851. His parents were Paul K Wright and Emily Grace (Harvey)
Wright. He attended the public school at Geneva, and, later, at Cobden,
111., where the family moved when he was about nine years of age.
After graduating from the public schools, he had a private tutor for
a year and then attended the Elgin Academy.

After leaving the Academy, Mr. Wright took up the study of
engineering, and, in 1872, entered the office of Messrs. Cleveland and
French, prominent engineers of Chicago, 111., and was employed by
them on work at Indianapolis, St. Paul, and Chicago, including the
South Chicago Drainage, for the development of an industrial district.

Mr. Wright moved to Los Angeles, Cal., in the latter part of 1874
and established himself as a Civil Engineer and Surveyor, maintaining
his office up to the time of his death, on March 29th, 1917. He had
served three terms as County Surveyor, and was a hydraulic engineer
of ability, having done much effective work in developing underground
waters and constructing irrigation systems.

In 1873 Mr Wright was married to Lucy Nicholson, who died in
1899. He leaves two sons, George A. and Charles N., who follow his
profession, and a widow, Mrs. Capitola B. (Wenzel) Wright, whom
he married in March, 1912.

He was a man highly respected for his sterling worth and honesty;
ever ready to help others, and loved by many friends.

Mr. Wright was elected a Member of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on February 3d, 1886.

* Memoir prepared by W. D. Larrabee, M. Am. Soc. C. E.



Died September 17th, 1916.

Augustus Waterous Agnew, the only son of William Agnew, now
of Victoria, B. C, was born at Montreal, Que., Canada, on June 6tli,
1884. He received his engineering education at the Eoyal Military
College, Kingston, Ont., Canada, and at the Crystal Palace Practical
School of Engineering, London, England.

Returning to Canada, Mr. Agnew began his professional career,
in January, 1906, on preliminary and location surveys for the Can-
adian Pacific Railway, with headquarters at Montreal, Que.

In July, 1906, he went to Saskatchewan as Instrumentman on the
construction of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. In December of
the same year, he went to Prince Rupert, B. C, where he was
employed, as Resident Engineer, on hydrographic, topographical, and
town-site surveys, and also on sewer constrviction, under James H.
Bacon, M. Am. Soc. C. E., then Harbor Engineer, Grand Trunk
Pacific Railway.

In May, 1909, Mr. Agnew left the employ of the Grand Trunk
Pacific Railway to engage in private practice as a member of the
firm of Ritchie, Agnew, and Company, with offices at Prince Rupert,
B. C. Among other work, this firm had charge of the construction
of the first water supply system for the City of Prince Rupert,
including three dams, and 14 miles of supply and distribution mains.
The firm was also engaged on wharf design and construction; the
supervision of surveys, plans, stream measurements, and estimates for
a permanent municipal water supply and power project; investigation
surveys, etc., for power projects for the Prince Rupert Hydro-Electric
Company, Limited, as well as the design and supervision of the sub-
division of a town site of 1 000 acres, including topographical and
hydrographic surveys and harbor layout, adjoining Prince Rupert,
with R. H. Thomson, M. Am. Soc. C. E., acting as Consulting Engi-
neer, and numerous small sewerage and water supply schemes, and
water-power investigations.

In 1913, Mr. Agnew became interested in the development of a

large water-power at Stamps Falls, near Alberni, Vancouver Island,

capable of developing 75 000 h. p., and prepared extensive plans, the

development of which, owing to the outbreak of the war, had to be

postponed. Mr. Agnew's valuable work on this project will no doubt

later bear fruit.

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary from information on file at the Society


In the spring of 1914, he moved to Victoria, B. C, where he took
the contract for laying the sewer system of Esquimalt which he com-

When the 48th Battalion, Canadians, was mobilized there for ser-
vice in the European war, he transferred from the Corps of Guides
to that Battalion, and went overseas as its Captain and Adjutant.
The Battalion, through the efforts of Captain Agnew and a few of
its officers, went to the front as a unit and an Engineering Battalion
of the 3d Canadian Division, and was afterward known as the 3d
Canadian Pioneer Battalion. Then it was that Captain Agnew's
engineering training came into service, and he made a reputation
for it that became known among many of the other Canadian and
British Battalions. In April, 1916, after six weeks in Belgium, con-
structing trenches in the Ypres salient. Captain Agnew was seriously
wounded in the head and right arm by high explosive shrapnel, and
subsequently suffered the loss of his left eye. After a month in the
hospital, he went to Hythe, in Kent, England, where, during his sick
leave, he voluntarily gave much needed instruction to non-commis-
sioned officers and men of the Pioneers Depot at South Caesar's
Camp, Shorncliffe, England. He was offered a position as Major
on the 3d Canadian Divisional Staff, but as he was eager to get
back with his men, he obtained shortened leave and, on August 1st.
took command once more of his old Company at the front. After
six weeks he was again dangerously wounded while preparing the
trenches for the infantry to hold during the battle of Courcelette, on
September 15th, and died after an operation, at a Casualty Clearing
Hospital near Amiens, France, on September 17th, 1916.

Captain Agnew will be greatly missed by all who knew him well
enough to appreciate his many fine personal qualities as well as his
ability as an engineer. He was well liked by his fellow officers and
by the men whom he had trained and with whom he had fought. The
splendid state of organization and efficiency reached by his Battalion
was due largely to his tireless energy and ability in engineering and

He was an Associate Member of the Canadian Society of Civil
Engineers, and an Associate Member of the Society of Engineers
(Incorporated), of London, England.

Captain Agnew was elected an Associate Member of the American
Society of Civil Engineers on July 2d, 1913.




Died July 17th, 1916.

William Frederick Alfred Anson, the son of the Eev. Alfred W.
Anson, was born at Staunton, Va., on August 7tli, 1878. He received
his early education under governesses and tutors in his home and in
England. In 1893, he entered the Episcopal High School, at Alex-
andria, Va., where he remained until 1896. He then entered Roanoke
College, at Salem, Ya., where he remained for one year, after which
he entered the Virginia Military Institute, at Lexington, Va. He
attended the Institute for three years, but was miable to complete his
course on account of ill-health. After leaving school, he remained
on his father's farm until 1902.

In July, 1902 Mr. Anson entered the employ of the Norfolk and
Western Railway Company, as Instrumentman and Inspector on con-
struction work. He . remained with this Company tmtil 1907. He
then went to Martinsville, Va., where he was engaged in private
surveying until 1908.

He was then appointed Inspector in Campbell County under the
Virginia State Highway Commission, and, later, was promoted to
Resident Engineer by the Commission, with headquarters at Pulaski,
Va., having charge of the work in several counties. In April, 1914, he
was again promoted by the Commission to be County Engineer of
Russell County, with headquarters at Lebanon, Va.

For several years before his death Mr. Anson had been in poor
health, and in January, 1916, he went to Richmond where he was
examined by a specialist who pronounced his trouble to be chronic
appendicitis. He returned to his home in Lebanon, but soon decided
to undergo an operation, and, in February, 1916, was operated on at
the Bluefield Sanatorium, Bluefield, W. Va. He never fully recovered
from this operation, although he returned to his work which he carried
on until about a week before his death.

In his professional career Mr. Anson developed those qualities
which insure success. He had been connected with the highway work
in Russell County only a short time, but he was highly thought of
by all the citizens, and the County road authorities were more
than satisfied with his management.

In October, 1915, Mr. Anson was married to Miss Vera Seay, of
Eagle Rock, Va. He is survived by his widow, his father, brother,
and nine sisters.

Mr. Anson was regarded as an engineer of rare ability, and his
work with the Virginia State Highway Commission has always been

* Memoir prepared by A. H. Pettigrew, Esq.


highly commended. He was a man of high principles and of strong
convictions, never hesitating to stand up for what he thought to be
right or to oppose that which he considered wrong. He was a devoted
member of the Protestant Episcopal Church, which he had joined in
his youth, and he will be greatly missed by his family and his friends
and associates.

Mr. Anson was elected an Associate Member of the American
Society of Civil Engineers on October 1st, 1912.


ROBERT HAMMOND BOYNTON, Assoc. M. Am. Soc. C. £.=*

Died September 18th, 1916.

Robert Hammond Boynton, the son of the late Henry P. and Emma
(Hammond) Boynton, was born at Batavia, N. Y., on May 21st, 1886.
He received his early education in the public schools of his home town,
having been graduated from the High School in 1903. In September,
1904, he entered the Civil Engineering Department of the University
of Michigan, where he remained until June, 1906, when he left college
to enter the employ of the New York Central and Hudson River Rail-
road Company, as Chainman on grade reduction between Syracuse and
Rochester, N. Y. In April, 1907, he was advanced to the position of
Rodman on the same work, but resigned in October, 1907, to return to
the University of Michigan, from which he was graduated in Jime,
1910, with the degree of Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering.

On July 1st, 1910, Mr. Boynton entered the employ of the Missouri
Pacific Railroad Company, as Rodman in the Maintenance of Way
Department, with headquarters at St. Louis, Mo., being in charge of
track renewal and engaged in general office and field work connected
with the Department. In June, 1911, he was transferred to the
Construction Department, with headquarters at Marianna, Ark., as
Inspector of bridge construction on the Marianna Cut-off. In March,
1912, he was again transferred to the Illinois Division, with head-
quarters at Illmo, Mo., as Assistant Engineer engaged in routine office
and field work connected with the Maintenance Department.

In December, 1912, Mr. Boynton entered the service of the Missis-
sippi River Commission as Recorder on a river survey between Fort
Jackson and Port Eads, La.

On April 1st, 1913, he was appointed City Engineer of Frankfort,
Ind., by the Mayor, Dr. 0. W. Edwards, to fill an unexpired term. In
January, 1914, Mr. Boynton was re-appointed to the same office by the
newly elected Mayor, Dr. Oliver Gard, and remained in that position
until his death, on September 18th, 1916, following a long illness
resulting from heart trouble and a complication of diseases, due to
exposure and malaria contracted while he was engaged on engineering
work in the Southwestern States.

Mr. Boynton was considered one of the best City Engineers that
Frankfort, Ind., ever had. He had charge of the design and construc-
tion of all street and sewer improvements, and through his efforts a
complete set of street and sewer records of the city was made, thereby
giving the Municipal Government its first check on sewers, streets,

* Memoir prepared by the Secretary from Information on file at the Society


and property owners. He had also completed a map of the City of
Frankfort, which has been widely used by those interested in its public

]\ir. Boynton had a genial disposition and readily made and held
as friends all who met him. He was most efficient and honest, and
through his conscientious efforts and steady application to duty, he
received and maintained for his Department perfect work from the
contractors employed thereby. He was an expert on filing systems,
and at the time of his death was preparing himself for the work of a
Consulting Engineer and City Manager.

Mayor Oliver Gard writes of him, as follows :

"Our city was deeply shocked when, on September 18th, the death
of Robert H. Boynton, City Engineer, was announced. While he had
not been a resident of this city for many years, yet we had learned
to regard him highly. His work as City Engineer had been very labori-
ous, but always satisfactory. His efficiency was never questioned. We
regret his untimely death."

Mr. Boynton was married on October 15th, 1912, to Miss Zua Rice,
a- daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John A. Rice, of Frankfort, Ind., who,
with his mother, Mrs. Emma Boynton, and a brother, R. Rae Boynton,
of Rochester, jST. Y., survives him.

He was a member of the Presbyterian Church of Frankfort, Ind.,
and of Masonic Lodge No. 475, of Batavia, N. Y. He was also a
member of the American Society of Municipal Improvements, the
Municipal League of Indiana, the Akhenaton Society of Ann Arbor,
Mich., the Alumni Association of the University of Michigan, and
the Chamber of Commerce of Frankfort, Ind.

Mr. Boynton was elected a Junior of the American Society of Civil
Engineers on May 6th, 1914, and an Associate Member on April 18th,


FRANS ENGSTROM, Assoc. M. Am. Soc. C. E.*

Died March 20th, 1916.

Frans Engstrom, the son of Ludwig and Frederika Engstrom, was
born in Stockholm, Sweden, on November 28th, 1851. He was educated
in his native city and was graduated from the Latin College and
the Eoyal Poly technical High School.

After his graduation, Mr. Engstrom was engaged, for two years,
in an architect's office on private surveys, and also as Assistant
Resident Engineer on the construction of the Government Railway
of Sweden.

In 1881, he came to the United States and settled in Pittsburgh,
Pa., where he Vv^as engaged with the Pennsylvania Railroad Company,
as Draftsman, Chief Draftsman, and Assistant Engineer, until 1895.
During this time, he designed and superintended the construction of
the Penn Street Freight Station in Pittsburgh, and made plans and
specifications for extensive dock construction at Erie, Pa., and at
Ashtabula and Cleveland, Ohio. He also made the plans and speci-
fications for all heavy bridge masonry and retaining walls on the
Company's lines and for elevating its tracks through Pittsburgh and

In 1895, Mr. Engstrom was appointed Assistant to the Director
of Public Works of the City of Pittsburgh, which position he resigned
in 1899. While serving in this capacity, he built the large twin
reservoirs at Highland Park, for the Pittsburgh water supply.

During 1899 and 1900, he was engaged in private practice as Civil
and Hydraulic Engineer, with an office in Pittsburgh. In 1901, Mr.
Engstrom was appointed Civil Engineer with the Carnegie Steel
Company, retaining that position until 1903, when he entered the
service of James Stewart and Company as Engineer of Inspection.

In 1905, Mr. Engstrom went to the American Bridge Company, at
Ambridge, Pa., where he remained, as Engineer, until March, 1907.
In April, 1907, he removed to Altoona, Pa., where he had been ap-
pointed City Engineer, retaining that office until 1915. As City
Engineer Mr. Engstrom had charge of extensive paving work, super-
vised the planning of the East Altoona disposal plant, built the
Seventh Street Bridge, and had charge of other important municipal

In 1915, Mr. Engstrom returned to Pittsburgh, but his health
having failed, he was not able to engage actively in his profession.
He had only been discharged from the hospital where he had been

* Memoir prepared bj^ the Secretary from information on file at ttie Society-


undergoing treatment for five months, when his sudden death from
heart failure occurred on March 20th, 1916.

Mr. Engstrom was a talented and highly educated man. He spoke
seven languages, and, being a great reader, was well informed, not
only regarding his Profession, but on all svibjects of general interest.
Among his professional friends, he was considered one of the best
estimating engineers in Pennsylvania.

On August 25th, 1884, Mr. Engstrom was married to Miss Bertha
Lindstrum, who, with four children, survives him.

He M^as a member of the Engineers' Society of Western Pennsyl-
vania, Daquesne Commandery No. 72, Knights Templar, and Syria
Temple of Shriners, of Pittsburgh, and of Altoona Lodge No. 102,
Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.

Mr. Engstrom was elected an Associate Member of the American
Society of Civil Engineers on May 4th, 1892.



Died February 2d, 1917.

Howard Arnold Greene was born at Providence, R. I., on Sep-
tember 15th, 1860.

Immediately after his graduation from Brown University, in June,
1884, Mr. Greene entered the employ of S. B. Gushing and Company,
Engineers and Surveyors, and remained with that firm vmtil April,
1887. While with this Company, Mr. Greene was engaged on the con-
struction of the Diamond Hill Reservoir for the Pawtucket, R. I.,
Water-Works, on the greater part of the line of the Union Street Rail-
road Company, and, as Assistant Engineer, on all the preliminary work
for the Providence Cable Railroad Company and the improvements
of the Park Land Company, at Elmwood, R. I.

In April, 1887, Mr. Greene was appointed Division Engineer with
the Hudson Connecting Railroad Company, under the late P. P.
Dickinson, M. Am. Soc. C. E., as Chief Engineer, on the Poughkeepsie
Bridge route. When this was finished, in September, 1888, he ac-
cepted a position as Engineer for J. W. Coffin and Company, Con-
tractors for the Brigantine Beach Railroad, which position he retained
until August, 1889, when he went to the Dunderbergh Spiral Railroad
Company, as Division Engineer, until work on that line was stopped.

In December, 1889, Mr. Greene was appointed Locating Engineer
with the Danville and East Tennessee Railroad Company. He re-
mained in that position until May, 1890, when he entered the employ
of Morris and Darly, Engineers and Contractors, of Bristol, Tenn.,
as Assistant Engineer on surveys for the State of Virginia and on the

Online LibraryAmerican Society of Civil EngineersTransactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Volume 81) → online text (page 162 of 167)