Copyright
Angela Georgina Burdett-Coutts.

Woman's mission; a series of congress papers on the philanthropic work of women, by eminent writers online

. (page 46 of 49)
Online LibraryAngela Georgina Burdett-CouttsWoman's mission; a series of congress papers on the philanthropic work of women, by eminent writers → online text (page 46 of 49)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


patients.

NEW SOUTH WALES : ST. JOSEPH'S HOSPITAL FOR CONSUMPTIVES,
Parramatta. During 1885 the need for a special hospital for the
treatment of phthisical patients resulted in the Sisters of Charity securing
grounds and a building for the purpose. This was the first institution
opened for the benefit of consumptive patients. It was enlarged in 1888 ;
and, in 1891, the number of inmates had increased to 122.



Appendix. 457

ST. VINCENT'S HOSPITAL, Sydney, New South Wales. The late
Archbishop Folding laid the foundation of this Hospital, in 1868, on a
site granted by the Government, at Darlinghurst. It was opened in
1870, and during the next twenty years (1870-90) 2433 in-patients were
admitted and many thousands of out-patients treated. The accommoda-
tion was increased from time to time. Beyond the site of land, and
,1000 granted in 1870 for building, no Government aid has been received.
The Hospital is mainly the result of the exertions of the Sisters of
Charity, who are the managers of the institution. Its object is to
minister to the sick and suffering of all creeds, and it is supported by
voluntary contributions. In 1891 there were 1354 in-patients, and 7044
out-patients, including casualties.

SOME EVIDENCES OF WOMAN'S WORK IN NEW SOUTH WALES. The
first woman's name associated with real practical work, this report states,
is that of Mrs. Darling, wife of Lieut.- Governor Sir Ralph Darling, who
went to Sydney in 1825. Lady Darling opened, in 1826, a school of
industry, the object of which was to clothe, board, and instruct girls in
every branch of household work, plain needlework, knitting, spinning,
reading, writing, and the first four rules of arithmetic. The management
from the commencement has been vested in a committee of twelve ladies.
Each girl who retains her first situation for four years receives the sum
of 2 los, as good conduct money.

WOMEN'S PHILANTHROPIC WORK IN SYDNEY, New South Wales.
This is a comprehensive survey of women's philanthropic work in Sydney.
The institutions which deal more particularly with the treatment of
children are the school of industry, where about forty orphan and poor
children are trained for domestic service ; the hospital for sick children,
supported by Government grants and public subscriptions ; the asylum
for deaf and dumb and blind children, carried on upon similar lines, in
which the sick and afflicted children of poor parents of all creeds are
received. ^There is also a society which secures the boarding-out of
destitute children. There is an infants' home at Ash field a refuge for
mothers with a first illegitimate child, which is supported partly by public
subscriptions and partly by Government subsidies. For girls and young
women there are a working and factory girls' club, a Young Women's
Christian Association, and a Girls' Friendly Society ; while, to meet the
needs of women, there exist a female refuge for fifty unfortunates ; a
Church of England home for fallen and desolate women, in which the
cost of maintenance is partly met by the proceeds of the inmates' labour
in the laundries ; and beside the infants' home already mentioned,
there is the Sydney Benevolent Asylum, which receives lying-in cases.
About 250 single girls are received annually, but the number of married
women do not generally exceed twenty to thirty. About fifteen other
benevolent societies similarly constituted are scattered over the principal
districts of New South Wales. In all the above agencies the management
is wholly or largely in the hands of ladies. The Roman Catholic
institutions are numerous, and their management is also almost entirely
directed by women. They include homes for the aged poor ; for old



45 8 Appendix.

and infirm women ; hospitals for children and adults ; and orphan and
industrial schools for children. Among the general philanthropic work
may be included the Queen's Fund, inaugurated, in 1887, to relieve
women in distress ; and the Lisgar House School, where poor children
are boarded, lodged, and educated.

THE FEMALE REFUGE AND INFANTS' HOME, Brisbane, Queensland.
By Mrs. R. L. Drew. This work was begun in 1871, by Mrs. R. L. Drew,
and for the first eighteen months of its existence it was supported by the
foundress and a few private friends. Its public utility and careful man-
agement were soon recognized by a Government grant of ^100 a year,
subsequently increased to ,200. It appears to do a specially useful work
among immigrant girls taking the first step in a new life. Besides the
children of inmates, it take care of orphans and neglected infants.

GIRLS' FRIENDLY SOCIETY IN QUEENSLAND. By Eliza E. CPConnell.
This Society is worked on the same principles as the parent Society
in England, and it is pleasing to see how far those principles have
extended. Reference is made to the difficulty of forming branches in
inland districts with a scattered population.

THE HOME FOR GOVERNESSES AND LADY WORKERS, Brisbane,
Queensland. By A. K. Hume. This institution supplies what is, no
doubt, in a new country, a special need, providing a comfortable home for
governesses while seeking employment or during vacation. The terms
charged suffice only for the expenses of board, but to that extent the
institution is conducted on business principles.

THE HOSPITAL FOR SICK CHILDREN, Brisbane, Queensland. By
Mrs. D. C. McConnell. The only hospital for children existing in
Australia up to the year 1876 was that at Melbourne, Victoria. In that
year the establishment of the Hospital with which we are now concerned
was decided upon in a very informal manner by a few ladies. It was
opened on March n, 1878. It is worthy of remark, especially in a
country where children will often be sent to the hospital by their parents,
not from poverty, but merely from the impossibility of obtaining proper
medical attendance and appliances at home, that payment, except in
special cases, according to a graduated scale is required. From this
source the institution has received about ^3000.

INDUSTRIAL HOME, Brisbane, Queensland. By Lizzie Kingsbury.
This Home for the rescue of very young girls has had a successful career,
and is largely self-supporting. A Government grant of 300 a year is
made to it. It was at the instigation of the committee of this institution
that the Lady Musgrave Lodge was formed, which has given such great
help to respectable friendless girls out of situation.

THE LADIES' BENEVOLENT ASSOCIATION, Ipswich, Queensland. By
B. Barnes. This Association presents no special feature calling for
remark. A very liberal Government grant is made, with the aid of which
the committee has been able to meet all demands made for relief.



Appendix. 459

LADIES' AUXILIARY TO THE YOUNG MEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIA-
TION OF BRISBANE, Queensland. By Annie Caruosso. Recognizing
one of the objects of the Y.M.C.A. to be to supply the home element in
the lives of young men, many of whom must necessarily live in boarding-
houses, the members of the Ladies' Auxiliary are interested in the depart-
ment which, in the usual course of things, would fall to mothers and
sisters. An effort to free the Association from debt by means of a bazaar
and fair was attended with highly satisfactory results.

LADIES' BENEVOLENT SOCIETY, Toowoomba, Queensland. By
R, P. Glendenning. The object of the Society is the relief of the poor of
the town after personal investigation of each case, relief being given in
tickets for rations, clothing, etc., but very rarely in money. The funds are
supplemented by a Government subsidy.

THE LADY BOWEN LYING-IN HOSPITAL, Brisbane, Queensland. By
Eliza E. O^Connell. This Hospital was established by Lady Bo wen,
wife of the first Governor of Queensland, and the able character of its
management is proved by the ever-increasing demand upon its accommo-
dation a test which, in an institution of this class, is of infinitely greater
value than any table of statistics. A special and excellent feature is the
scientific training of pupil nurses, who, when qualified, receive certificates
as midwives. Such nurses have performed excellent work among the
very poor of London, and it would be impossible to overestimate their
utility in the bush districts, where other medical assistance, in most
instances, cannot possibly be procured.

LADY MUSGROVE LODGE, Brisbane, Queensland. By Agnes Keith.
The success of this institution has been attained by " leaps and
bounds," and by its success may be measured the reality of the need by
which it was called into existence. It receives immigrant girls of good
character, and keeps them, with every comfort and convenience, until
suitable situations can be found for them. The number received rose
from three hundred in the first year to 1133 in the sixth year of its
history. The land and buildings are vested in trustees, " but the practical
work of the institution," it is added, "is carried on successfully by a com-
mittee of ladies."

MRS. DONALDSON'S WORK IN AUSTRALIA. By Mrs. Donaldson.
This lady, the wife of a sugar-planter at Mackay, Queensland, and an
elder of the Presbyterian Church, commenced a small class for the
Kanaka labourers about two years ago. These rough men were given to
drinking habits, causing much disturbance in the neighbourhood on
Saturdays and Sundays. The class now numbers about two hundred,
whilst the general improvement in the conduct of the men is extremely
gratifying. This report was most welcome to me as one instance of those
individual efforts which are of so much moment in any locality, and
which in countries scarcely formed are absolutely beyond price. Where-
ever these Kanakas go hereafter, whatever position they may be called
upon to fill, the seed sown by a kind hand and far-seeing heart will be
carried and re-sown, consciously or unconsciously, by them or their
posterity with untold blessings.



460 Appendix.

EVANGELICAL GIRLS' SCHOOL, Figueras and Villabertran, Spain.
By Miss L. Smith. This Mission had its rise in religious interest in the
women and girls in Spain, where women are more under the domination
of priests than the men. The School, however, extends its benefits to
instruction in secular subjects, industrial training, and all kinds of needle-
work. There are about 140 pupils. The girls' schools, night schools
for young men and women, and Sunday schools, are doing a useful work.

* BRITISH SYRIAN MISSION SCHOOLS AND BIBLE-WORK. By
Mrs. Auriol Barker. This work was commenced in 1860, by Mrs.
Bowen Thompson, aided by her three sisters, in consequence of the
massacre of ten thousand male Christians by the Druses in the districts
of the Lebanon and the ancient city of Damascus. The female popu-
lation was very ignorant and degraded, and from the first Mrs. Thompson
trained her own native teachers. The training institution in Beyrout
is the most valuable part of this Mission. Since then, many agencies for
men and boys have been organized. One striking feature with regard
to the social improvement of the native women is that no Moslem girl
educated in these schools has been divorced, as is common among
Moslems. The Mission is managed principally by ladies, and it has
certainly been the pioneer of Syrian female education.

MRS. ARTHUR HANSON'S WORK AMONG THE TURKISH REFUGEES.
By Miss Constance Eaglestone. The Turkish refugee work was estab-
lished by Mrs. Arthur Hanson, of Constantinople, on the foundation of
my Turkish Compassionate Fund. Through the wise and skilful manage-
ment of Mrs. Arthur Hanson, and the generous patronage of English and
American ladies, two thousand Turkish women and children are now able
to gain an honourable living, while their^earnings are made to suffice, not
only to maintain them in a modest degree of comfort, but to provide a
fund for those stricken down by age or infirmity. Unfortunately, for the
last two years competition has been experienced from cheap and inferior
articles, which threaten to bring the excellence of Turkish work into dis-
repute. Hand-embroidery, in the most delicate shades and beautiful
designs, is one of the features of the industry, and is applied to a great
variety of articles, from doylies to ball-dresses and trousseaux. The
Empress Frederick appeared at the Jubilee Service in Westminster
Abbey in a gown and bonnet of this exquisite work. The greater part of
the women and children employed are lodged in the town, while some
are grouped about the picturesque slopes of Candilli, where Mrs. Arthur
Hanson has her home. Her reception day is Monday. There is the
" Big " Monday, when the refugees visit her en bloc, and the " Little "
Monday, when only those superior workers, whose labours require constant
and attentive supervision, are received. The refugees are sensible how
much they owe her, and reverence her as " Nana " (" Mother "). The in-
dustry is essentially a philanthropic one, maintained for the livelihood of
the poor people, dispossessed of all they ever had by the ravages of the
Russo-Turkish War.

WOMEN'S PHILANTHROPIC WORK IN THE COLONY OF VICTORIA.
By W. y. Brett. This is a concise, official paper, prepared by



Appendix. 46 1

Mr. W. J. Brett, who speaks with keen satisfaction of the successful
results of women's work in the Colony of Victoria. The colony possesses
five institutions, on the management of which women are immediately
concerned, and thirteen in which they co-operate with men on the com-
mittee. The special feature of the paper is contained in the notes on
industrial and reformatory schools, from which it appears that the State,
while providing assistance and exercising supervision, works in this de-
partment of education through the agency of private charitable societies.
Mr. Brett speaks emphatically of this co-operation, when properly
effected, as " the point of perfection."

NEW ZEALAND : WELLINGTON. By C. T. Powles. The Ladies'
Christian Association: Formed in 1877, for the purpose of assisting and
relieving the poor without restriction as to creed. It is divided into two
branches. One deals with out-door relief, food and clothing, employs a
Bible-woman, and assists the benevolent institution by looking after the
orphans whom that body has charge of, and who are boarded out in respect-
able families. The other branch has charge of a home for friendless
women, called the Alexandra Home, capable of accommodating twenty-
four women. The inmates are employed in laundry-work, the receipts from
which are applied towards the maintenance of the Home. The sum of
.1009 was received by the Association in 1891. The Girls' Friendly
Society was started in Wellington, 1880. A G.F.S. Lodge has been built,
capable of receiving twenty women. Respectable servant-girls and others
just arrived in the colony, and looking for employment, are cared for.
The Salvation Army has a reserve home for about fifteen girls, who are
employed in laundry and other work. Besides the above organizations,
worked chiefly by ladies, there are Dorcas and district visiting societies
in connection with most of the religious denominations.

NEW ZEALAND : CHRISTCHURCH : HOMES FOR FALLEN GIRLS AND
WOMEN. By Frances H. Torlesse. The Magdalene Asylum, worked by
Sisters of the Convent of the Good Shepherd, provides shelter for about
a hundred women. The methods of work are similar to those adopted
in England. The Maternity Home for Single Women, and the Home for
Girls and Children rescued from bad houses, are in connection with the
Anglican Communion, the Guild of St. Saviour undertaking the manage-
ment. An average number of sixty women and children are under the
immediate care of this guild. The Salvation Army has also two homes
for maternity and rescue cases. A well-conducted lodge under the manage-
ment of the Girls' Friendly Society, and working in connection with the
Travellers' Aid Society, provides temporary shelter for respectable girls,
who would otherwise be homeless. A number of lady-visitors are engaged
in looking after boarded-out girls in connection with industrial schools,
until they enter service.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA : CONVALESCENT HOSPITAL, St. Margaret's,
Semaphore. By Mona O. Halloran. Originated by Miss Hart, about
sixteen years ago. The patients were first housed in a cottage, but, when
the number of applicants rapidly increased, Miss Hart and her family built
the first portion of the present institution as a memorial to the Hon.



462 Appendix.

John Hart. Various extensions have been made from time to time, and
now the building accommodates fifty-seven patients. The management
is in the hands of a committee of nine ladies and four gentlemen.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA : BOARDING-OUT STATE CHILDREN. By T.
N. Stephens. To Miss Cobbe's essay, " Philosophy of the Poor Laws,"
the colony is indebted for the idea of boarding-out children dependent upon
the State. It was clearly seen that these boys and girls, when placed in
families, had a far better opportunity of learning to help themselves and
others as well than if they boarded in the destitute asylum (answering to
the English workhouse). After the plan had been tried (1867-1870) by
way of experiment, a number of ladies and gentlemen combined, and
made an offer to the Government to take all destitute children off their
hands, and board them out in respectable families, as had been success-
fully done in Scotland and Ireland by the Protestant Orphan Society ;
but the offer was refused. A large industrial school was built for the
reception of the children, and when this was filled to overflowing, the
boarding-out plan was at length adopted. The demand for children
was so great that the school was nearly emptied. The Boarding-out
Society afterwards undertook to find visitors for the children, and to
maintain an oversight in their new homes. In 1887 the care of the
children was entirely separated from that of adult pauperism, and a new
board was created, called the State Children's Council, consisting of
seven ladies and five gentlemen, who have the care of all children falling
into their hands. The example of South Australia has been followed by
most of the other Australian colonies, and the uniform rate of subsidy for
each healthy child boarded out is 5-$-. per week up to the age of thirteen,
when compulsory attendance at school ceases. The number of visitors,
mostly women, is 178.



With these Notes I now bring to a conclusion the commission en-
trusted to me. It has been impossible in a prescribed space to portray
the philanthropic work carried on or originated by women workers
within and sometimes beyond the bounds of our wide Empire ; still a
fraction has been collected which may serve to give some idea of the
spirit in which the work of sacred Charity is striving to contend against
darkness, ignorance, and vice. Possibly no earthly pen or eye could
ever estimate the fulness of depth and breadth of quiet Charity by what
is seen ; for taking as a metaphor the iceberg so familiar to those who
cross that magnificent ocean, at once the divider and the highway of the
two worlds, that which is unseen exceeds all that is visible.



INDEX.



Addlestone, Princess Mary's Homes

at, 277

Adelaide, Ladies' Diocesan Associa-
tion, 349
Adler, Dr., Report of, on philanthropic

societies among the Jews, 404

, Mrs., and penny dinners, 20

Aggs, Miss Anna C., Report of, on

the Training Institution for Servants,

Clapham, Surrey, 385
Agnew, Mr., 10
Aikenhead, Mary, 228
Aldershot, Mrs. Daniell's work at,

164-166

Soldier's Wife Aid Society, 430

Alexander, Miss, Report of, on the

Epsom Town Mission-Room Work

Society, 390
, Miss E., Report of, on the

Baltony Frieze Industry, 442
, , Report of, on the Girls'

Friendly Society : Diocese of Derry

and Raphoe, 448
, , Report of, on Temperance

work in Londonderry, 449
, , Report of, on work of

women in the Diocese of Derry and

Raphoe, 447

, Mrs., Report of, on the London-
derry and North- West Ulster Home

for Women, 448
, "The Work of Woman's Hand "

(Poem), 1-3
Alexandria, Sailors' and Soldiers'

Institute at, 163
Alford, Lady Marion, 77
Needlework Association, 77



Allman, Mrs., Report of, on the Flower

Mission, Cork, 443
, Report of, on penny dinners,

Cork, 443
All Saints' Sisterhood, Margaret Street,

London, 135, 217
Amberley Convalescent Home, Stroud,

Gloucestershire, 389
Animal World, The, 330
Animals' Bands of Mercy, 331

Band of Mercy, Filby, 332

Flegg Band of Mercy Union,

332, 419

Institute, 333

, Society for the Prevention of

Cruelties to, 330

, Woman's Work for, 329-333

Ardmore, Temperance movement in,

241
Army, British, Miss Daniell's work in

the, 430

Works Corps, 108

Armytage, Mrs., Report of, on the

West Riding Industrial Home for

Women, Wakefield, 396
Arthur's Home, Bognor, 85
Artists' and Students' Club, Lady,

Paris, 455
Art Students' Home, Brunswick

Square, London, 378
Ashburton, Louisa, Lady, 176
, and the Holiday Homes at Addis-
combe, 85
, and Mission Work at the Albert

Docks, London, 375
, Report of, on Homes of Rest,

Addiscombe, 374



464



Index.



Ashdown, Miss Frances, Report of, on
the Church Extension Association,
400

Ashore and Afloat, an illustrated paper,
169

Association for Providing Trained
Nurses to Workhouses, 218

Athletic Clubs, 62

Austin, Sister F., Report of, on the
Industrial School, Drogheda, 444

Australasian Colonies, Charitable In-
stitutions and Societies in, 335

Australia, Mrs. Donaldson's work in,

459
, South, Convalescent Hospital,

461

, , Boarding-out State Children,

462

Backster, 73

Bagwell, Mrs., Report of, on her In-
dustrial Classes, at Clonmel, 443
Baillie-Hamilton, Lady Grisell, notes

on a wood-carving class, 433
Balfour, Lady Frances, Report of, on

the Travellers' Aid Society, 385
Ballintra Hand-embroidery Industry,

442

Ballyardle Cottage Industries, 442
Balm, 212
Balsam, 213

Baltimore, Co. Cork, 294
Baltony Frieze Industry, Co. Donegal,

229, 442

Bands of Mercy, 331
Banks, Miss. See Hamilton, Miss
Barber, Mrs. A. M., Report of, on the

Munster Dairy and Agricultural

School, 449
Barker, Mrs. Auriol, Report of, on the

British Syrian Mission Schools and

Bible- work, 460
Barnes, B., Report of, on the Ladies'

Benevolent Association, Ipswich,

Queensland, 458
Barter, Mrs. , Report of, on the Turkish

Bath, and Home for Patients of the

Poorer Classes, St. Ann's Hill, Co.

Cork, 450
Basket-work at Letterfrack, in Conne-

mara, 233, 446
Baxter, Margaret, 134
Bayly, Mrs., 83



Bazaar, Dickens, 78

Bazaars, 78

Beale, Miss Anne, on work among

soldiers, 160-166
Beckenham, navvies at, 106-110
Bedfordshire, Pillow-lace Industry in,

437
Belgravian Institute of the Y.W.C.A.,

387

Bell, Mrs. Moberly, Report of, on
Children's Happy Evenings Associa-
tion, by, 369

Belleville, Ontario, training-school at,
90

Benn, Miss Lily Ewer, Report of, on
the Rosslyn Weary Toilers' Rest, 391

Benyon, Mrs., Report of, on the Men
and Women's Help Society (Oxford
Diocese), 407

Berhard, Mrs. M., Report of, on the
Providence Technical Woollen Manu-
factory, Foxford, Co. Mayo, 445

Berkshire and Buckinghamshire Needle-
work Guild, 76, 424

Bernard, Mrs. Morrogh, 229

, and her work among the Irish

peasants, 286

Bethany, Sisters of, 135

Bible-class sewing parties, 85

Flower Mission, 399, 407

women, 140

Women's Mission, 400

Biddulph, Miss, Report of, on the
Berkshire and Buckinghamshire
Needlework Guild, 424

Birds' Nest, Kingston, Dublin, 446

Birmingham, Ladies' Association for
Useful Work at, 312, 433

Bishop, Mrs., Report of, on lady-
visitors' work in Birmingham Police
Courts, 389

Blackwell, Mrs., Report of, on the
Amberley Convalescent Home,
Stroud, 389

"Blight," 324

Blind, Deaf and Dumb, and care of the
Helpless, 425-427

, Bristol and Clifton Association

for the Employment of Blind Women
and Girls, 425

, Cheltenham and Gloucestershire

Home Teaching and Industrial
Society, 425



Index.



465



Blind, Home for Blind Children, Kil-
burn, 426

, Indigent Blind Visiting Society,

Red Lion Square, 426

, Miss Elizabeth Gilbert's work

among the, 427

, Training of the female, at Mer-

rion, near Dublin, 235

Board School free dinners, 2O

Boards of Guardians, 250

Bookseller, Country, xvii.

Booth, Catherine, 141

, Mrs. Bramwell, 141

Borage, 212

Borradaile, Miss, Report of, on St.
John's Home, Brighton, 377

Bourke, Miss, at Lisnagary, Co. Lime-
rick, 233

, Report of, on the carving-class

at Lisnagary, Co. Limerick, 447

Boyce, Mrs., and her Refuge for
Orphans and Destitute Children,
Bordighera, Italy, 454

Boyd, Mrs., Report of, on the Young



Online LibraryAngela Georgina Burdett-CouttsWoman's mission; a series of congress papers on the philanthropic work of women, by eminent writers → online text (page 46 of 49)