Copyright
Anna Riggs Miller.

History and antiquities of the county of Norfolk (Volume 9) online

. (page 25 of 31)
Online LibraryAnna Riggs MillerHistory and antiquities of the county of Norfolk (Volume 9) → online text (page 25 of 31)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


foundrefs ; and the other on her right hand, or that
moft fouth, to be one of her younger ions, that
might probably be the firft commander of this houfe,
but to fay pofuively it is fo, we do not pretend- they
lie exaclly in the plate where the founders of reli-
gious places were generally buried, as Herbert
founder of Norwich cathedral was ; by the crofles,
they were of the order; by their place of interment,
perfons of diftinclion; by the remains of the infcrip-
tion, mother and Ion, and alfo of the Clare family:
now, tho' we do not meet with their names, Vincent
on Brook, lol. 120, fays, " that, fhe had by Roger de

Clare



W A Y L A N D. i;

Glare, herhufband, Richard carl of Clare and Hert-
ford, and others;" and fir William. Dugdale, telling
us where that earl was buried, (hews plainly it was
not his fepulchre, elfe we fhould have been induced
to have thought fo, by reafon of his confirmation of
his father and mother s benefactions to this houfe, to
which he was alfo a benefactor. It is plain from this
inscription that he was knight of the order, and had
been at Jerufalem, and fo qualified to be commander
of the houfe, and muft be of great note, nib name
being not mentioned, all which confirms our former
conjecture.

On the firft,

MATER. CLARENSIS. GENEROSO. MILITE.

CLARA.
MA. HIC. TVM. - - VE. - -

On the fecond,

A. DEXTRIS. NATVS. REQVIESCIT. MATRIS.

HVMATVS.

HVNC. PETIIT. PORTVM. PROPRIVM. RE-
VOLTVS. li\. ORTVM.

There are fixteen ftalls in the chancel, whick.telis
us the number of knights refident here when this
church was built: great numbers of perfons of figure
were certainly buried here, as the ftones, reaveJ of
their arms and infcriptions, plainly fhew us.

The fcreens between the church and chancel arc
very fine; there is the beginning of an old infcrip-
tion on them, viz. Oi&tc pro Btnejaftoribus : : : : :
the rett being loll.

In 1560 the arms of Clare, Bigod, Brotherton,
Mowbiay, Neville, Latinier, &c. were in this church,

forae



i8 HUNDRED OF

feme of which ftill remain ; alfo the arms of Eng-
land and France.

In the fouth aile is a grave-ftone ftripp'd of all its
traffes, fave one fliield, on which are the arras of de
Grey, of Merton, impaled with Bainard, which
fhews that it was laid over Fulk de Grey, gent, one
of the five fons of William de Grey, of Merton,
efq. who was buried here in 1560, as the parifli re-
gifler informs us, in the grave of Elizabeth Drury,
his wife, who was buried Nov. 8, 1555. His fon
and grandfon alfo lie buried here. Anthony de Grey,
of Carbrooke, was living in 1616.

There are feveral priefls buried under grave-ftones
here, as is plain from the badge or emblem of the
priefthood ftill remaining on feverai of them, the
'other braffes being gone, viz. the three chalices,
thereon the wafers, orfaciamental bread.

The king's honour of Clare ftill extends hither,
there being many lands, 8cc. held of it at this day.

The roof was adorned with the images of our Sa-
viour and his Apoftles, all which were dcmolifhed
in the time of the ufurpation.

There is a parcel of town lands belonging to the
parifh, which, tradition fays, were given by two maids
who danced themfelves to death, and are buried on
the fouth fide of the church.

In the old church regifter, " 1637, March 19,
Henry Sidney, an ancient man, defcended of the
right honourable houfe of the Sidneys, earl of Lei-
.cefter, but more honourable by his new birth, was
buried here."

The



W A Y L A . N D. 19

The reclory was appropriated to the prior of the
hofpkal of St. John of Jerufalem. and is an exempt,
not vifited by the archdeacon, and pays neither fyno-
dals nor procurations, neither is it taxed, though the
church was valued at fifty-five marks, with the church
of Little Carbrooke included, and the vicarage at
405. but yet the parochial and fpiritual jurildiclion
over the parifhioners belongs to the archdeacon, who
always inducls the vicar.

The vicarage was valued at yl. 12$. 6d. and being
fworn of the clear yearly value of lol. i is. i id. it is
difcharged of firft fruits and tenths, and pays 35. ,jd.
fynodals. It hath been augmented, the queen's
bountv being procured by the Rev. Mr. John Cater,
reclorof Ellingham Parva, who hath fettled part of
the great tithes of Ellingham Magna upon it for ever
to sol. per ann. value. This town paid 61. 6s. to the
tenths, and is now valued at 919!. 6s. 8d. to the
land tax,

December 2, 1424, the vicarages of Great and
Little Carbrooke w r ere confolidatcd.

June 30, 1614, the vicar was prefented by tie king,
as guardian to Thomas Southwell, efq. He was luf-
pended in 1618, but held it till 1636, and the lad
that was ever prefented to the vicarage, it having
been held ever Gnce by lequeftration.

GREAT CARBROOKE MANOR. Alfere, a Saxon
free-man in the Confeffor's time, held the chief of
this, and the other, Cherebroc, (as it is wrote in
Doomfclay-book) there being in this, at that time,
four carucates and an half, three of which were his
own dcmcfncs ; the wood maintained 400 fwine, and
he had a mill, and half the tilheiy of the tivei ; part

of



20 HUNDREDOF

of the manor lay in Griflon, and Ofbert held of
him: the whole was worth 7!. There was a church
and twenty-four acres of glebe, worth 25. and this,
and Little Chevebroc, were above two miles long,
and as much broad, and paid i ^d. to the gelt.

At the Conqueror's furvey, John, nephew ofWa-
leram, held it, and it pafled to the earls of Clare, of
which honour it was always held ; it contained better
than half the town, and almofl a third part of Little
Carbrooke ; and the advowfons of both the churches
belonged to it and were given with it to the precepto-
ry, or commandry, in this town, by Maud coumels of
Clare.

The COMMANDRY, or PRECEPTORY, of knights tem-
plars, and knights hofpitallers of St. John of Jerula-
lem, was the only commandry in this county, and
was firft a preceptory of the knights templars, founded
by Roger earl of Clare, who died in 1 1 73, or 1 1 74,
and was a great benefactor to the order ; at their foun-
dation he built the houfe for them.

Thefe preceptors were fo termed, as Minfheu and
others obferve, becaufe they were poffeffed by the more
eminent fort of the templars, whom the chief mailer
by his authority created, by the name of preceptores
templi, or maflers, for fo were the governors of this
houfe often called. This order had its firft original
about 1118, when fome religious knights vowed chaf-
tity to the patriarch of Jerufalem, profeffing to live
alter the manner of the regular canons, and fettling by
the confent of Baldwin, king of Jerufalem, near our
Lords' temple there; they thence took the name of
knights templars*, and profefTed to guard the pilgrims
that went in pilgrimage to the holy temple, as much as
they could pollibly ; and about nine years after their

order
* Fratres MUiti* templi,



\V A Y L A N D. fli;

f'rtkr was cflablifbecl, and a white habit affigned them
by pope Honorius, with a crofs patce of red cloth,
on their right fhoulder. and from that time they began
to have r.umerous gifts conferred upon them, fo that
in a fhoit lime there was fcarce any nation but had
them fettled among them, and in England their chief
houfe was the Temple, in London, on which the fmal-
ler picceptories were all dependent. In i 182, Maud,
daughter of James de St. Hillary, countefs of Clare,
and widow of Roger earl of Clare, their founder, gave
this preceptory (which was not finifhcd, nor fully en-
dowed by her hufband,) to the knights hofpitallers of
St John of Jciufalem, with the churches of Great and
Little Carbrooke, and the moiety of the town, on
condition they paid 135. 4d. yearly to the nuns of
Buckland, all which was confirmed by Richard de
Clare, earl of Hertford, her fon, and king John, in
1 199, from which time (he was declared foundrefs of
this houfe. 'Tis certain the templars were concerned,
and had fome of their order here, upon the foundation
of earl Roger ; for at the diffolutioti of their order,
th^ir part of the pofleffions of this preceptor)- was
feized, but in 1314 was conveyed to the houfe again,
and fettled on the prior, or mafler of the commandry
of St. John Baptill of Jerufalem, and the knights hof-
pitallers re fj ding here. They were called hofpitalleis,
becaufe they built an hofpital at Jerufalem, for the
entertainment of all that came from any part of the
world to vifit the holy places, and did guaid and pro-
lee! fuch pilgrims in theif journey ; they had alfo the
care of their hofpitals in all countries, where pilgrims
weie received; to thefe pope Clement V. tianslerred
the templars, which, by order of the council held at
Vienna, he had got fupprefled. The hofpitallers are
now the knights of St. John of Malta, where their
chief abode is, the ifland of Melita, cr Muha, being
given them by the emperor Charles V.

C The



i* HUNDRED Of*

The conftitution of this council was obeyed lie re in
England in die time of Edward II. when an act paf-
fcd (o diflolve that order, and after that, their whole
pofltffions were conferred upon the knights hofpital-
krs. The Atlas, p. 406, gives us an erroneous ac-
count of its being dedicated to St. John the Apoftle,
and that it's founder was unknown, but as to the reft
it is right, in telling iis that it was enriched with many
farms and vaflals, and that all that enjoyed the privi-
leges of this order were allowed to fet a crofs upon
their doors, in all places where they dwelt, that they
might be known by all others, and he might have ad-
ded, fays Spelman, upon the lands of all fuch alfo ;
for upon this account great numbers of fmall annu-
al payments, were given to this houfe, out of houfes,
lands, and tenements, all over the country, in order to
have the crofs of the hofpital fet upon them, in token
of exemption ; thus we find divers lands in Weflon-
Market, in Suffolk, &c. paid fmall rents to the houfe,
by which they enjoyed the extenfive privileges of the
order, not to pay any tithes, nor other dues whate-
ver ; but great n ambers of people prefuming to do
this as a protection, a ftatute was made in the reign,
of Edward I. that all that fet thofe croffes falfcly fhould
forfeit either the houfe or land to the lord of the fee.

Thefe hofpitallers at fiift were like all other orders,
in a mean {late, and raifed themfelves by rebelling a-
gainfl their patriarch of Jerufalem, who had firfl en-
couraged them, and then appealing to Rome, which
fee, being defirous to have that patriarch fubjecl to it,
engaged with the hofpitallers againft their patriarch,
and gave them whatever privileges they defired ; by
virtue of which, whenever the bifhops excommuni-
cated any one, the hofpitallers would receive them,
adminifler the facraments to them, and bury them in
their church-yards; thus, was any kingdom, province,
city, or town imerdi&ed, if the hofpitallers had a

church,



W A Y L A N D. 23

church, diat was dill open, and the interdict did not
reach it. Co that then their offerings and mortuaries
were wonderfully increafed; thus alfo in all parifhes
that were given them they took the church wholly to
themfelvcs. Curved it by a chaplain removable at their
plcaiure, and did every thing that way, without ta-
king notice of any bifliop, 'till the ftatute of the en-
dowment of vicarages took place, and then the bifhops
obliged them all to endow, it having been in fome
meal ure levelled againfl them. In like manner all
houfes and lands which they purchaCed, or which
were given them, were exempt of all tithes and other
dues, not only in one, but in all places where they
were concerned, their privileges being Co great, thai,
they cared neither for the fpiriiuality nor the laity. In,
the flatute of magna charta, chap. 37, their privileges
are referved to them, and you may fee the right of the
king's fubje&s vindicated from the ufurpation of
their jurildiclion by the flatute of Wellminfler 2. 13
Edward I. and by the ftatute of the gsd of Henry VIII.
cap 24. their lands and goods here in England were
vefted in the king.

Their houCe here was fometimes called the priory
of St. John of Jerufalem. but moft commonly the
commaudry of K.erbrook' Vr ; which word is derived
from con and mando, bccaufe the brethren always were
obliged to eat together in publick, or be in com-
mons, as we now exprefs it, there being vaft numbers
of devotees who had the privilege of boarding in the
houfe, tho' they did not lodge there : every one that
took this order was obliged to vow to go in pilgri-
mage to Jerufalem, either as a religious devotee, or
G 2 as

* Many of thefe commandrles were called in the country by
the name of Temples, becaufc they formerly belonged to the
tcaiplars, as Wilbur^lum Temple, in Cambridgcflbire, ficc.



54 HUNDRED OF

as a knight of the order, to fight againft the Infidels?
and every commandryf was governed bv Tome bro-
ther of the fame houfe, who had been actually knight-
ed in the holy wars, who was always named by the
grand prior of the order in England, unlefs (as lome-
times he did) he gave licence to the commandry to
choofe their own commander, or prior, upon which
choice he had the government and direction of the
houfe and all the revenues belonging to it, but could
difpofe of nothing but to the ufe of the grand priory,
only was allowed every year, in his accounts to the
grand prior, a fuftenance for himfelf, according to his
degree. They are fometirnes called crofs-bearing
brethren, becaufe by the rules of their order they are
always obliged to wear a crofs on their breads, and
another on their fhoulders ; at their reception into the
order, every one promifed to defend it to the utmoft
of his ability, and to pay on St. John Baptift, their
patron's day, fomething annually to the fraternity.

This commandry was valued, at the diffolution, at
65!. 2S. gd. ob. and in 1.543 was granted to Sir Ri-
chard Grefham, knt. and Sir Richard Southwell, and
their heirs, by the name of the fcite of the preceptory
of Carbrooke, with the manor and reclory impropri-
ate, and the advowfon of the vicarage thereto belong-
ing, and alfo Herberd's grove, St. John's-wood, Ri
ling-wood, and a wood in Kettyfal-field, &cf. Sir Ri-
chard Southwell changed his manor of Ealt Walton
with fir Richard Grefham, and having this folely his
own, he fettled it with Wood-rifing, and the main of
his eftate, on Thomas Southwell, efq ion to fir Ro-
bert

f A lift of them may be feen in Dug. Mon. vol. z. fol. 501.
as alfo the ceremonies ufed at the reception of every new mem-
ber. The grand prior of the order in England was chcfcn by
tfce grand prior of Jerufalem,






W A Y L A N D. 25

bert Southwell, of Mcrcworth, in Kent, his younger
brother, and it haih been ever tince joined to the ma-
nor of Woodhall, or Woodgate, in Carbrooke, with
which it now continues.

There are no ruins of note remaining of the com-
mandry, its (cite joins to the fouth fide of the church-
yard, and there was a chapel of St. John Baptift ei-
ther clofe by, or joining to the houfe, which the fra-
ternity ufed as their private chapel.

WOODHALL, or WOOD-GATE, alias LATIMER'-S
MANfR. From Doomfday-book we learn, that Ha-
rold, in the Confeffor's time, held this moiety, or
half of the town, as a berewic to Neclon, with which
it was valued ; that there were three carucates of land,
of which one was always demefne, or in the lord's own
hands, the whole of which was given by the Con-
queror to Ralph de Tony. It afterwards belonged
to Roger le Bigot, who gave it to William de Munt-
chenfi, and he enfeoffcd William de Manerijs, who
was to hold it at one fee, in the time of Richard I.

In 1253 Guy de Butetort had a charter for free
warren here, but he had it only for life, or term of
years; for in 1 256 Walter dcManier, or Manners, was
lord, and the fame year William de Manerijs was of
age, and to hold a whole knight's fee here, and was
not yet knighted. It belonged fome time to Baldwin
de Maniers, who in 1-290 had free warren, Sec. al-
lowed, both by the earl marfhal, as lord of the fee,
and the king alfo. In 13 1 1 this Baldwin fold it, with
the manor of Fulbourne, in Cambridgeshire, to Ro-
bert de Butetort, held of Maniers, who held it of the
earl ofArundel. In 1527 William Latimer had it,
and in 1323 fir Robert dc Morley, knt. conveyed his
manor of Carbrooke to Walter de Haies, knt. during
his life. In 1345 Elizabeth, widow of William Lati-
C 3 mer,



26 HUNDREDOF

met, held it of Hockham manor, and William de La-
timer was their Ton and heir, at whofe death John de
Neville, lord Raby, who married Elizabeth, filler and
heirefs of William de Latimer, had it in 133$. In
1443 i [ belonged to George Neville, lord Lacimer,
who died feifed in 1469, and in 1530 John Neville,
lord Latimer, had livery of it, and he in 1544 fold it
to fir Richard Southwell, km. at which time there
were twenty meffuages, ten cottages, 400 acres ot
land, 40 acres of meadow, 100 acres of wood 200
of firs, and 405. rent of affize, in Carbrooke Scowl-
ton, andCranworth, and fir Richard fettled them, with
his eilate, on Thomas Southwell, eldeft fon to fir Ro-
bert Southwell, his younger brother, and he enjoyed
them, who was lord of this and the other manors,
impropriator, and patron, the whole being now join-
ed as it Hill continues.

In 1616 the manors of Carbrooke, Woodhali,
(which was Larimer's] and the preccptory, were aliened
by fir John Steward, km. lord Kincleven, in Scotland,
to Clement Corbet and others, during the life of Eli-
zabeth, that lord's wife. It afterwards came to the
Cranes, and Richard Crane, efq. only brother and
heir of fir Francis Crane, knt. chancellor of the gar-
ter, &c. fucceeded in this eftate. On March 10,
1642, he was created baronet, and married Mary,
daughter of William, firfl lord \Vidrington ; he lived
at Rifing, and died about 1645, his will bearing date
in that year, by which he appointed his manor of Car-
brooke, in Norfolk, fliould for ever (land bound for
the payment of sool. per ann. to the chapel of St.
George of Windfor, to maintain five poor knights
there, and by virtue of a commiffion (upon the fta-
tute of the 43d of Elizabeth,) for charitable uies, the
manors of Wood-rifmg and Welt-field were found
charged too, but in the time of William Crane, efq.

to



W A Y L A N D. 27

to whom fir Richard's eftate fell, Jan. 27, 1659,11 was
decreed in Chancery, that the manor of Carbrooke
only fhould for ever ftand charged with 230!. per
aim. payable half yearly; 200!. of which is for the
maintenance of five poor knights, and the 30!. a year
for the repair of their houfes, the chancellor of Wind-
for for the time being to receive the money, the 30!.
per ann. being added at that time, becaufe the manors
of Wood-rifmg, and Weft-field, were fbund liable to
fatisfy for building and finifhing the five houfes for
them.

About 1662 William Crane, efq. fettled the ma-
nors of Carbrooke, the preceptory or commandry
there, the impropriate relory and advowfon of the vi-
carage, 8cc. on Robert Clayton, gent.* and others, in
whofe family it flill continues, William Clayton, efq.
of Harleyford in Bucks, and reprcfentative in parli-
amem for the borough of Marlow, being lord, im-
propriator, and patron, and hath a lect.

In 1561 William Rrampton, efq. fold to Robert
Crane, efq. and others, a capital meOTuage, and 20
acres of land in this, and the adjoining towns, called
Warners.

Sir John Parrott, knt. had a grant of the lands in
this town, which were in the tenure of Thomas Wal-
fmgham, and were forfeited by Dionefe Topps, and
did belong to his manor of Rokele's, in Watton,
which he was to hold at the 2oth part oi a fee, as of
his manor of Eafl Greenwich.

C 4 In

* Afterwards fir Robert Clay ton, knt. lord mayor of London,
lie was lord in 1686, the quit-rents then valued at zzl. 95. zd.



28 HUNDRED OF

In 1771 the Rev. William Clough was preferred
to this vicarage by William Clayton, efq. vice the
Rev. George Thomas, now of liaft Dercham. and
brother to the right reverend the bifhop of Rocheftcr.

CARBROOKE Parva was an exempt belonging to
the commandry of St. John, at Great Carbrooke, to
which houfe it was appropriated, and the church was
valued with & but the vicarage was always feparate,
and valued at fix marks, but not taxed; it paid nei-
ther fynoclals nor procurations, neither was it vifited
by the archdeacon, though he had the fame jurifdic-
tion over the parifhioners, and power of induction,
as in Gieat Carbrooke.

The temporals of the prior of Shouldham were
taxed at i6s. Sd.

In 1424, Dec. 2, John bifhop of Norwich con-
folidated the vicarages of Carbrooke Magna and
Parva. The church of Carbrooke Parva was then
pulled down and levelled; William Hulles, prior
of the hofpital of St. John of Jerufalem, was patron
of both, and the commandry was to receive an an-
nual penfion of 135. 4d. for ever, from the vicar of
Great Carbrooke for this confolidation.

In 1737, in digging in the church-yard, which
hath been long delecrated, there was found a crofs
laid over the coffin of fome religious perlbn buried
here, moft likely one of the knights ; there were two
chains, on which hung, two jewels, that on the one
fide being loft ; it is to be fuppofed by the make of
the brafs,boffcs on the crofs, that there were formerly
relicks under them, and that it was buried with him
on that account, and poflibiy might be fetched by

the



W A Y L A N D. 29

the knight himfclf. or whoever he was, from the
holy fepulchre. The ftem of it is of oaken wood.

LITTLE CARBROOKE, or WESTHALL MANOR, when
the Confeflbr took his furvey, belonged to one Al
fere, a free-man ; and after the conqueft, John, ne-
phew of Waleram, who had Great Carbrooke, had
this alfo; it was then of los. per ann. value, had a
church with twenty acres of glebe, worth led. a year,
paid gelt, and was included in the menfuration of
Great Carbrooke, to which it was always joined.

Part of this town belonged to the honor of Clare,
ramely, half a fee. which was held by the Muntchen-
fies, Veres, and Valences, in the lame manner as
Winfarthing; but another part which lay here, and
in Great Carbrooke, was held of the Bigots, and
their fucceflbrs. In 1235 William de Muntchenfy
held it at one fee of the earl Marflial; and in 1274
the earl of Gloucefter warranted the affize of bread
and beer.

In i 285 the village was prefcnted for not coming
twice a vear to the fberiffs turn, to the king's damage
of 28. a year; but upon the death of Ayiner de Va-
lence, in 1323, without itFue male, this manor was
amgned to Mary, daughter to Guy de Chaftilian.
carl of St. Paul, his widow, in dower, who founded
Denny abbey ; the reverfion after her death to go to
David de Strabolgy, of Athol, it being allotted to
him among the manors affigned to Joan, his wife,
one of the heirs of Aymer de Valence, earl of Pem-
broke. David de Strabolgy, his fon and heir, fuc-
ceeded, who left it to David, his fon and heir, who
died 10 Ocl. 49 E. 3. leaving iffue two daughters,
minors, Elizabeth and Philippa; Elizabeth firfl mar-
ried fir Thomas Percy, km. a younger fon of the

laid



o HUNDRED OF

faid lords ; and Philippa married Ralph Percy, knt.
his brother, and afterwards re-inarriqd to fir Jhn
Hallbam, of Kent, knt. as her lifter did to fir John
Scroope, knt. and they and their hufbands held this
manor jointly.

In 1414 John Halfham, efq. had it; and Joan,
wile of ] >hn Lewknore, of Goring, in Efiex, daugh-
ter of his fccond fon, Richard Halfham, fold it after-
wards to Jefferv Bulleyn, of London, knt. who was
lord in 1460, and died in 1462, leaving them to
Thomas, his fon and heir; and in the reign of
Henry VIII. fir James Bulleyn fold it to Alleyn
Pierce, and others, who fold it to Thomas Scott,
and John Gadron. and they to William Brown,
Robert Downing, of Scoulton, Palmer, Wil-
liam Tyndall, Thomas Thycket, Turner,

and others, and fo it became divided into many
parts; Downing had the biggeft part; Dey, of Seoul-
ton, aro her part; and there were many other fub-
divifiors which reduced it to almofl nothing; the
biggeft part was purchafed by the Southwells, and
joined to the other manor.

The manor of Scoulton-Burdelofs, or Oldlands,
extends hither, and was fo large formerly, that in 1315
Jeflery de Burdelols was returned as one of the loids
here.

Another part of this town was held by the Car-
brooke t?mily, who would have had it efteemed a
free tenen ent, or manor ; but when fir Richard de
Carbrooke had it, it was feized by fir Hugh de Vere,
ivho was hen lord, and he was forced to acknowledge



Online LibraryAnna Riggs MillerHistory and antiquities of the county of Norfolk (Volume 9) → online text (page 25 of 31)