Copyright
Anna Riggs Miller.

History and antiquities of the county of Norfolk (Volume 9) online

. (page 29 of 31)
Online LibraryAnna Riggs MillerHistory and antiquities of the county of Norfolk (Volume 9) → online text (page 29 of 31)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


gent, as fon and heir of Edward Goaffe.

Part of one of thefe manors was fold off, and
held as a feparate manor by Thomas Ives, in 1 5 85 ;

afterwards



W A Y L A N D. 75

afterwards it was fold to Bayly, then came to Green*
lecf, who fold it to Mr. Cotton.

Woon-HorsR MANOR, in Saham, was part of
Sahara manor, given by Roger de Tony to Ralph
de Bofco or Bois, (that is, of -the wood] to be held at
half a fee ; and in 1315 Ralph At-wood was lord,
who took 1m name from the wood he lived by, as the
manor did from the houfe he lived in ; part of this
manor was foon after joined to the capital manor thac
it firfl belonged to, and another part to Wood Houfe
manor, in Ovington ; that manor-houfe being the
ancient fcite of this manor, is called in evidences
fometimes Wood- Houfe. in Saham, and fomctimes
in Ovington. The Atlas, p. 334, tells us, ' that
Henry VIII. anno reg. 37, gave two clofes in this
parifh, late fir Richard Southwell's, to his new col-
lege, called Chrift Church, in Oxford, with many
other eflates, when he made it the cathedral of his
new erc&ed fee."

In 1757 tne R- ev - Charles Parrot was prefented to
the reciory of Saham-Tony by the mafler and fel-
lows of New College, Oxford.

This populous village lies on the road, one mile
from VVatton, to Swaftham, in a pleafant and heal-
thy country, which has received much agricultural
improvement.

SCOULTON church is dedicated to the Holy-
Trinity, (though we have met with it called All
Saints) was taxed at twelve marks, and paid i4d.
Peter-pence; it is now valued in the king's books at
lol. 45. 2d. and being fworn of the clear yearly va-
lue of 48!. i8s. iod. it is difchaaged of firfl fruits
and tenths, and is capable of augmentation. The
F 4 town



?6 H U N D R E D O F

town contains about fifty families, and is now laid an
6o61. to the land-tax.

The church is 3 fmall building ; it's nave is
t 1 -:tchel, the two aiies and fouth porch are leaded;
there is a low iteeple, fquare at bottom, and octangu-
lar at top. in which are three bells ; at the upper end
of each of the aiies there was a chapel and an altar;
in the fouth chapel windows are the arms of
Calthorpe, and Mortimer, and the arms of Mortimer,
of Attleburgh, are in manv places of the nave and
chancel. Againft the weft end of the church wall
there is a monument, on the north part of it, infcribed
to Elizabeth wife of John Daye, of Scoulton, gent.
wqo died Sept 2oth, anno Domini, 1734, aetatis fuae
44. And over her grave-flone, under the monument,
is a blaqk marble, with the arms of Daye. On the
fcreens are the inflruments of the paffion in different
fhields, as the hammer, fcourge, crown of thorns, the
fpear and fpunge, the heart pierced, the nails, the
five wounds, the crofs, the name of Jefus, and feverai
arms.

There is a fine difrobed marble, which hath loft
its infcription, arms, and effigies; it is the grave-flone
of John Fitz-Ralph, efq. who was lord and patron,
and was buried here in July, 144.0. Lady Alice, his
daughter, was then a nun at Thetford, and his filter
Maud at Brufyard. Sir Thomas Fitz-RaJph his bro-
ther, fir Thomas Tudenham, knt. Robert Mortimer,
efq. William Warner of Thompfon, efq. and John Hoi-
dcrnefs, were his feoffees and executors. Julian his
wife was buried by him in 1446. Robert Hotot, her
fon. and Maud Comers her daughter, are mentioned
in her will.

SCOULTON,



W A Y L A N D. 77

SCOT/LTON, MORTIMER'S, OLD-LANDS, or OL-
>.AMS. The advowfon at (irfl belonged to Burde-
lofs's manor, till 12 -.7, and then Robert de Mortimer
purchafed it of Jeffrey de Burdcleys; and ever fince it
hath belonged to Roger Fhz-Renard, and came to the
Mortimers, and patted in that family along with Attle-
burgh.

In the fixth of king John there was a writ to the
iheriffto deliver fcifin of this manor to Robert, de
Mortimer, whom king Richard his father had diffeifed
againft his will, and <pven to William Mortimer. It
was held at half a fee of the earl Warren, and in
1223 John earl Warren totally releafed the manor to
William de Mortimer. This manor had free-warren,
aflize of bread and beer, a manor-houfe, windmill and
fifhery, and was worth ill. ys. per an. in 1282.

In 1315 John de Thorpe was lord, in right of A-
lice Mortimer, his wife, who was mother of Confian-
tine dc Mortimer, which Conftantine had licence to
embattle his mauor-houfc herein 1319.

In 1402, on the divifion of the Mortimer eflate,
thib manor fell to the fhare or fir John Fitz-Ralph,
knt. in right of his wife ; and from that time it went
with Ellingham-hall manor till 1540, and then was
fold by Anthony Gurnay, efq. to fir Richard South-
well, with the advowfon of Trinity church here, and
fir Edward Chamberlain releafed his right in it. It
extended then into Rifing, Cranworth, Hingham,
Carbrooke, and little Ellingham. It went from the
Southwells, with Carbrooke, to the Cranes, and was
fold by that family to the Bedells, and Edward Be-
dell, efq. was lord; and in 1691 liabel, his relict, pre-
fented. It now belongs to the heirs of George Be-
dell, efq. vide Blomfield.

The



7? HUNDREDOF

The fines are at the lord's will, and the eldefl foil
is heir.

BuRDELossandNr.wLANDS. This manor belonged
to Harold in the Confeffor's time, of whom a freeman
held it. It had then three carucates, two of which were
demefne. There was wood for ihe fhackage of 300
fwine, the whole manor was worth -,os. and the whole
town was about three miles long, and two broad, and
raifedi^d. towards the gelt. It was given to earl Ralph
by the Conqueror, and on his foifeiture to Bcrner the
archer. It is wrote Sculetuna in Doomfday-book.
It belonged to the Picot's. and at the death of Euf-
tace Picot fell to the fhare of his daughter Lauretta,
\vho carried it to Hugh de Burdeleys her hufband,
who died about the 3oth of Henry II. foe fur-
vived him fome time, and at her death it went to Wil-
liam de Burdeleys, her fon and heir, who held this
manor by grand ferjeantiy; namelv, of being the
king's chief lardiner, larderer, or larder. In 1250 it
was found upon a quo warranto, that Jeffrey de Bur-
de'eys held it by the {erjeantry of keeping the king's
larder, on the day of his coronation. And another
record favs, when he would (ubi voiiterii] he died in
1263, and it was found that king Hemy had granted
him a charter of free-warren in his manors of Seoul-
ton. Sir John de Burdeleys, km. was his heir, and
had affize of bread and beer, waif and trebuchet : and
in 1333 it was found that Margaret, widow of John
de Burdeleys, held it by the fervice of coming to the
king's larder, on the coronation day. with a knife in
her hand, to ferve the larderer's office. John, her
fon and heir, died a miner in the king's cuflody, Au-
guft 9, 1346; and in 1347 his eftate was divided be-
tween Thomas Marfhall, who married Elizabeth, and
Gilbert de Camera, or de le Chambre, of Epping, in Ei-
iex, who married Joan, the fillers and heireffcs of the laid

John ;



W A Y L A N D. 79

John ; and upon the extent then made, the quit-rents
appear to be 355. per ann. This -was allotted to
Joan, and upon her lifter Elizabeth's death, without
ifTue, ic appears (lie alfo inherited her part, except
what (lie had alienated fince the partition, and that
(he was at that time married to John Fitz-John, oiher-
\vife called John de Middleton, hcrfirft hufband being
dead ; fhe died about 1374, for in that year Edmund
de la Chambre, her eldell fon by her firfl hufband, in-
herited. All the precding lords conflandy fervcd the
office of lardiner. There was scs. rent, part oi this
manor, lying in Thompfon. Edmund de la Cham-
bre, lord here, ferved the office at the coronation of
Henry IV. without contradiction, no one having ever
claimed it, befides the lords of this manor. He died
in 1410, and John was his fon and heir, who died in
1447. George Chambre, his fon and heir, when he
came of age, fold it to Hugh Ferine, who died fciicd ;ii
1476. It after came to George Neville, lord Abcrga-
venny, who died June 14, in the 37th of Henry V11I.
and left it with Sutton-Infoken, (Jut-Soken, and
Burgh, to Henry Neville, lord Abergavenny, his ion
and heir, and it continued in the family ; for in 1696
the lord Abergavenny had it, and 'it had been fanned
by the D'eycs of Scoulton a long time. At the coro-
nation of James II. George Neville, lord Abergaven-
ny, laid claim to the office of lardercr, in which the
lord Maynard claimed a turn, but the lord Aberga-
venny ferved it. The lord Maynard ferved at the
coronation of Charles 11. and of William and Mary,
and the lord Abeigavenny claimed it, at queen
Anne's.

TheD'eyes, or Days, of Scoulton, are an ancient fa-
mily. Thomas D'eye, of Scoulton, married Maud,
daughter and heir of Robert Downing, oi Scouhon,
and had Robert, who died January 1626. Robert

Dav,



** HUNDRED OF

Day, counfellor at lau r , and jufrice of die peace,
married Sarah, fole (laughter and heir of William
Mel fop, of WcR-Derebam, gent, who was living his
wiciou-, at Scouhon, when Mr. Blomfield wrote, being
lady of the manor of Nevvlands, as it is now called,
tvhich name does not fo much as occur before 1540, the
cuftom of which manor is, that the eldeft fon is heir^
the fine being certain at as. per acre.

The village of Scoulton lies in the turnpike-road
between Hingham and Watton ; and in 1764 the
Rev. Matthew Lane was prefcnted to this reclory by
John Weyland, efq. p. j.

STOW-BEDON joins to the eaft fide of Breccles,
and is commonly called Sto\v-Breccles, to diftinguifh
it from other towns of the fame name. It was for-
merly called Stou-Bedon, from it's ancient lords ;
Stou fignifies a houfe, or place of habitation, and
often, by way of eminence, a church, that being
cfleemedby the ancients the mofl eminent of all habi-
tations.

In the ConfefTor's days the whole village belonged
to Alfere, a Saxon, who had five carucates in cle-
mcfne, and it was worth lol. per ann. It afterwards
came to earl Ralph, upon whofe forfeiture the king
feized it, and lett it to Godric at 12!. 138. 40!. a year,
and as long as the foke belonged to it Godric lett it
for 13!. 135. 4d. arid 205. income, but when the ioke
was taken away, it fell to 7!. for then the king had
the parts of ieveral manors, as Cafton, Grifton,
Thompfon, 8cc. which belonged to this, laid to their
own manors, and lb reduced the value of this. Stow
was then two leagues Jong, and half a one broad, and
paid i od. ob. 1 q. gelt.

BEDON,



W A Y L A N D. Si

Bi-DON, or BYDON*MANOR, continued fomc time
in the crown, but how long we cannot fay. In the
time of Henry III. it was in the Rydon family, and
in 1245 was valued at i il. 123. and Eugenia, mother
of Thomas Fitz-Bernard, had the cuftody of it, alter
the death of John de Bydon, junioi, it being held of
the king at half a fee, and was part of the honor
granted to the Bydons, which Humphry de Bydon,
lord of Kirby-Rydon, formerly held.

In 1256 Thomas Fitz-Robert, or de Bydon, was
lord and patron of this church. He fold the manor
this year to Walter de Hide, referving the advowfon
and divers lands ; and thus the manor and advowfon
were feparated. And in 1281 Jeffrey de Seahorp
fold the advowfon to Eleanor, queen confort to Ed-
ward I. who gave it to Marham abbey, {as it is faidy
but the manor, at the death of Walter de Hide, re-
turned to Thomas Fitz-Robert aforefaid, who held it
of fir Baldwin Wake, and it had a leet belonging to
it, free-warren, and the affize of bread and beer, In
1285 Robert le Veel, or Vele, and Kawifc his wife,
had it, it being the inheritance of Havvife. In 1337
Thomas lord Wake, of Liddel, conveyed it to the prior
of Hautamprize, in Yorkfhire, for ever; and the prior
re-granted it to him and his wife for life, paying a rent
of lol. perann. In 1548 John Delves held it of the
lady Wake, (herhufbaud before his death having ob-
tained the fee of it of the prior) by the rent of a pair
of gilt fpurs a year; but the manor was charged witU
an annuity of 26!. 6s. 8d. paid to Thomas de Bu-
denhall, &:c. and their heirs. The inheritance was
in the earl of Kent; for Edmund of Wood (lock, third
fon to Edward I. married Margaret, filler and hcirefs
to Thomas lord Wake, and left ifTuc two fons, Ed-
mund and John, v.ho dying without ilfue. Joan their
filler inherited, who married fir Thomas Holland, km.

created, '



S 2 HUNDRED OF

created, in her right, earl of Kent, and lord Wake of
Liddell, which earl became pofieficd of this manor; it
came from the Kent family to Ralph lord Cromwell,
and in 1514 a moiety of it belonged to William Fitz-
Wiiliams, of Spromfburgh in Yoikfhiie, as defcended
from one of the heireffes of Ralph, lord Cromwell,
and the other moiety to fir William Knevet, of Buck-
enham caftle; in 1521 John Spelman purchafed
of fir Edward Knevet, knt. the moiety of the manor,
and joined it to the other moiety that he had before,
and it hath continued in that family ever fince, John
Spelman of Narburgh, efq. being the late lord. The
large water called Sandwade, now of Stow-merc, be-
longs to this manor.

BECKERTON MANOR is that part of the town which
lies next the Beck, or river, and is fometimes called
Beckerton-Hamlet, and Beckerton, alias Water-houfe
jnanor. The moft ancient lord we meet with after
the conqueft was John de Rudham. In 1253 Kalph
de Camois, fenior, had a charter for free-warren here,
and in 1401 fir Thomas Camois was lord of this, and
truftee of Stow-Bedon manor. In 1423 it was in the
king's hands by the death of fir Thomas, who granted
it, with the cuflody of Hugh Camois, his coufin and
heir, to fir Gilbett and fir John de Ryghley, knts. and
Richard Ifkelay. Soon after this it came to the Spel-
mans, which family had been concerned here for fome
time, for in i 639 John Spelman had lands here. In
1432 Henry Spelman, of Beckerton, was lord, he it was
that firft built Beckerton-hall, part of which is now
ftanding, and is a good old building called the Wa-
ter-houfe, Beckerton-hall, or Spelman's-place. In
the parlour window are the fhields of Spelman, quar-
tering other arms ; Spelman impaling Manning, and
Brotherton's arms.



In



W A Y L A N D. 83

In 1541 John Spciman purchafed Bedon manor,
and fo was lord of the whole town. In 1.570 John
Spelman was lordof Crow's-Hall, and Beckerton ; and
in 1601 Robert Rolfe, efq. In 1626 Brampton Gur-
clon, of Eafton, was lord, in vvhofe family it hath conti-
nued, Thornhaugh Gurdon, elq. being now lord.

CROW'S-HALL Manor was part of Bedon manor,
granted by Havvife le Vele, and Henry le Gildeford,
to Robert de Aula, or Hall, who fold it to Robert
Crowe ; he held it at the twelfth part qf a fee of Be-
don manor. In 1287 Jeffrey Crowe had it, and fo
many parts were brought in, that it is faid to contain
a fifth part of Bedon manor. In 1405 fir Richard
J'.crney, knt. was lord. in 1460 it was united to
Beckerton manor, and hath continued fo ever fince,
the manor of Cuifon's being united alfo at the fame
time.

The church hath a fquare tower, and three bells;
it confiftsofa nave and chancel, covered with thatch ;
there are no memorials, though there have been fc-
veralofthe Spelmans interred in it; Weaver, p. 821,
tells us, " that William Spciman, efq. who died in
the reign of Henry VII. (it fhouid be Henry Vill.)
is buried under a fair tomb, which was taken down
to rail in the altar more conveniently. The Regiilcr
informs us, " that Grace, wife of John Spelman,
was buried here in 1548. It is dedicated to St. Bo-
tolph, and was appropriated to the abbcfs of "Mar-
ham, before the council of Lateran ; the appropriation
was valued at fixtcen marks, and the vicarage, of
which the abbefs was paironefs, at five marks and an
half, but was not taxed ; it paid 2 id. Peter-pence,
and there was an annual penfion of IDS. paid by the
vicar to the abbey. It was valued in the king's books
at 4!. igs. 4d. ob. and was fwom of the real value of
igl. i8s. before the augmentation.

The



84 H U N D R D OF

The impropriation, with the advowfon of the vi-
carage, was firfr. granted to Nicholas Hare, citizen
and mercer, of London, by Henry VIII. who left it
t Nicholas Hare, efq. he (old it to Humphrey Mar-
fhall, and Walter Avcrell, and they to Robert James,
of Little Ellingham ; after this a licence of aliena-
tion was granted by James I. on which it was fold to
Anthony Style, who conveyed it to Edward Bulwer
in 1622 ; and he in 1655 fold it to Robert Pooley,
fenior, of Great Franfham, clerk ; and Chriftopher
Pooley, of St. Michael's Coflany, in Norwich, fold
it to John Smith, of Rcymerfton, clerk, who gave it to
his fon, Mr. James Smith, the late vicar there ; and he
in 1719 fettled the impropriation on the church, and
procured the queen's bounty, by which means the
whole is joined, and become a rectory, with the ad-
dition of an eftate of lol. per anu. purchaicd with
the bounty money.

While the convent held the impropriation, the vi-
car was endowed with a fixth part of the great tithes.
The abbey of Marham was taxed for fpiritualities
at fixteen marks. Buckenham, for his temporals, at
255. 8d. Weft Acre at 6s. 8d. It paid 3!. Sd. to
the tenths. It is valued to the land tax at 379!.
6s. 8d.

In 1750 the Rev. Thomas Shelford was prefcnted
to the vicarage of Stow-Bedon by the Rev. James
Smith, late vicar and patron.

THOMPSON. This church is dedicated to St.
Martin, and when Norwich Doomfc'ay was made,
was valued at twenty marks, and the portion of the
prior of Gallic Acre sos. it paid ys. 7d. procurations,
6s. 6d. fynoclals, and i id, ob. Peter-pence.

At



W A Y L A N D.' 85

At this time there was a college of fecular canons,
or chaplains, that eat together, and lived in a colle-
giate manner.

Simon de Walton, bifhop of Norwich, confirmed
to the monks of Caflle Acre two parts of the tithes
of all the demefnes of the monks of Norwich, lying
inThompfon, and Breccles-Tofts, in 1265; and in
13 1 6 there was a perpetual compofition made be-
tween the prior of Caftlc Acre, and the rector of
Thompfon, for the faid tithes, which were given them
by William de Raleigh, bifhop of Norwich, out of
nine feore and ten acres of the monks lands lying in
Thompfon, for two marks a year. There xvas a guild
dedicated to the Trinity, and another guild de-
dicated to St. Martin. In 1307 there was a long fuit
for this advowfon, but fir Guy de Butetort, knt. Sec.
recovered it againft Thomas de Reppes.

In 1349, Feb. 11, the matter and brethren of the
chantry at Barton, by Mildenhall, prefcnted, fo that
it appears the college of Thompfon had its firtl
rife in the time of Edward I. from the Butetort's.
lords of Thompfon, and was fupported by them,
without any endowment : afterwards fome of the
chaplains were fent to Barton chantry, and foon after
were removed hither, for in 1349, March 10, the
reclor was prefented by the matter and chaplains of
Thompfon college, which advowfon their founder had
given them.

In 1350, April 7, the bifhop of Norwich, and the
prior there, at the requefl of fir Thomas de Sharde-
lowe, knt. and fir John, his brother, who had founded
a perpetual chantry of fix chaplains in the church of
Thompfon, appropriated the church to the faid col-
lege, or chantry, to the ufc of the ma Her of cuftos,
and his brethren, there being no vicarage referved,
G but



86 HCJNDREDOF

but the church was to be fervcd by one of the chap-
lains, and the mafter was to pay an annual pcnfion
of four marks, and due obedience to the bifliop, who
if the chaplains did not choofc a matter in a fct time,
was to collate to the mafterfhip by lapfe, and if they
elected him, he was flill to be confirmed by the bi-
fhop, who referred to himfelf and fucceffors all epif-
copal jurifdiclion in the faid church.

In 1369, April 28, Joan, widow of fir John de
Shardelowe, knt. one of the founders, took upon her
the vow of chattily, and became a religious votary
in this college of Thompfon, where (he died ; the
manner of this foiemn vow was thus : fhe appeared
before Thomas Percy, bifliop of Norwich, in the
private chapel of his manor-houfe at Thornage,
where he then refided, and at mafs fhe kneeled down
before the bifliop, (others being prefent as the bifliop' s
witnefles) and joining her hands,, he took them into
his hands, and then fhe vowed in thefe words :
Jeo Johanne qui fuy la femmejohan de Shardelowe,
avowe tt promette a Dieux et a nqflre dame Seinte Marie,
et a Seint Martin, et as touti Seintz, de viverc en perpe-
tuele chajlcte, a lerme de ma vie, a vous reverent pere eii
Dieux fire Thomas par la Grace de Dieux evefque de
JVorwiz, et en vojire prefence, et en la prefence de Jirt
Thomas de. Shardelowe, chevaler,jirejohan Grene mcftre
dz la chauntrie de Thomejlone, John Clovylle et autrez.

Robert Audelcy, mafter and archdeacon of Berk-
fhire, refigned this college, with all its revenues, to
Henry VIII. it being then valued at 52!. 1 55.. yd. ob.
Nicholas Marwell, and others, were fellows, and
figned the fupremacy.

The impropriator is to find a curate to ferve the
church, he being' in the place of the college, who

were



W A Y L A N D. 87

were obliged to ferve it by the terms of the impropri-
ation deed, and did fo to the diffolution; it hath
been ferved by curates ever fince.

In i 768 the Rev. Thomas Scott, curate, was named
by the impropriator, William Tooke, efq.

The benefactors to this college and town are too
numerous for infertion here, we fhall therefore only
mention thofe of the latter.

The church-wardens in 1^41 held an alms-houfe
by the church, abutting fouth on Church-Lane, by
the free-rent of ad. per annum to Great Hockham
manor.

In 1383 fir Roger de Wylacham, knt. was buried
in the church, under an arch between the church
and chapel of St. James.

In 1467 William Warner, of Thompfon, efq. bu-
ried in the church here, was a benefactor to all the
guilds, and gave the college aol. to keep his obijt.

In 1599 William. Furmage, of Barnham, in Suf-
folk, gave lol. to the poor, and fir John Crofts fettled
an acre of land in Rattlefden, in Siiiiolk, to the town's
ufe.

By fir Thomas Shardelowe's will, in the commons,
it appears that he himfelf, father and mother, wife,
and all his anccflors, were buried in this church,
though there are no memorials remaining over any of
them, fave his own flonc. which lies in the fouih
chapel of St. James, before the altar of St. Martin,
which chapel he founded for his college, but the in-
icripiion is imperfecl: ; he fecms to be in a habit much
G 3 like



S8 HUNDREDOF

like a prieft ; only thefc words are legible: Orate
:::::: Salvetur, qui fuit : : : : : cujus anima
propicietur Dens. Amen.

This fir Thomas de Shardelowe was fecond fon to
John de Shardelowe, juflice of the common pleas in
J 333 ar| d he and fir John, his elder brother, to
whom he was heir, granted the advowfon of Couling,
in Suffolk, to the cuftos and fcholars of Trinity-Hall,
in Cambridge, to be appropriated to their ufe.

The rules of the college were, that the fellows or
chaplains fhould be all obedient to their mafler.fhould
live and lie in one houfe, and eat and drink in com-
mons together, and none of them to victual or lodge
out of the college; all to meet every morning in the
church at Matins, and every evening at Vefpers, and
one to fay daily mafs according to their foundation.
They were endowed with the manors of Thompfon,
Bradker, in Shropham, Citty, or Shudy-Campes, in.
Gambridgefhire, the impropriations of Thompfon
and Shropham, and the advowfon of that vicarage,
and lands in Saham and Buckenham all which, at
the diflblution, were given to fir Edmund Knevet,
Jan. in the 34th of Henry VIII. and two years after
fir Edmund fold them toJohnMaynard, mercer, of Lon-
don, who two years after fold them to Ann Paine, wi-
dow ; and in the sd of Elizabeth, Walter Paine
aliened them to Alexander Raye, gent. 8cc. who in 1561
conveyed them to Robert Futter ; he in the 3 1 ft of Eli-
zabeth conveyed the college, manor, and reclory, to
Henry, his brother. In 1622 Robert Fuller, jun.
recovered them againft Francis Bedingfield, efq. and
Edward Bedingfield, gent, and in 1653 the faid Robert
had the manor of Thompfon, the. fcite of the college,
Sec, and the impropriate rcdory of Thompfoil.

Robert



W A Y L A N D. S 9

Robert Putter fold the re$ory to Colman, which
the Rev. Roger Colman, at his death, left deeply
mortgaged, Barber Colman, his fon and heir, having
the equity of redemption, but the mortgage was fomc
years fince in poflefTion ; and the fcite of the college,
and the college manor, to Mr. Richard Cater, father
of the late Rev. Mr, John Cater, rc&or of Little



Online LibraryAnna Riggs MillerHistory and antiquities of the county of Norfolk (Volume 9) → online text (page 29 of 31)