The fcite of the college, and the college tmnor. is
now in the poffefiion of William Tooke, eiq. of
Serjeam's-Inn, Flect-flreet, London; a gentleman
much efteemed for his independent and patriotic
principles, in this age of venality, and depravity of
The church is leaded, the tower fquare, and the
chancel tiled ; there is a fouth chapel and fouth porch ;
the veflry is down ; the old flails, in which the
mafler and fellows ufcd to fit, are ftill remaining,
with the arms of Shardelowe on them, and the dif-
ferences of mullets, cinquefoils, Sec. In the windows
are the arms of Futter, Sec.
Rowland Thompfon, of Thorpe Market, in North
Erpingham, fon of Matthew Thomplbn, of the an-
cient family of Thompfon, of Tinmouth-Caftle, in
Northumberland, and defcended from the Thomp-
fons firnaraed of this town, had this coat confirmed
by Camden, Claren. Jan. 12, 1602, Az. a lyon paf-
fant gardant or. in a bordure arg. creft an armed arm
az. holding a broken (pear in the gantlet. Smith,
of Thompfon, bears arg. a chev. or. between three
crofs crofslets, fab.
The prior of Cafllc Acre's temporals were taxed at
185. of Thetfords at as. ?d. The town paid si.
G 3 6s. 8d.
6s. Sd. to the tenths, and is now aflefled at 432!.
135. 4d. to the laud tax.
The church is exempt from the archdeacon's jtirif-
diclion, but fubjecl to that of the bifhop and'archbi-
fliop ; it is not mentioned in the kind's books,
having been difcharged ever fince its appropriation.
This town now is, and always was, in feveral
parts, there being no lefs than five parcels, or lord-
fhips, at the Conquerors furvey.
j. William earl Warren had one carucate, fix free-
men, twelve acres of meadow, Sec. the whole was
worth 495. and had it in exchange.
2. Roger Bigot had forty acres of land, S:c.
3. Ifaac had a carucate of land, worth cos. of the
fee of earl Ralph, as part of his manor of Stow.
4. Berner the Archer had another carucate, worth
j6s, which belonged allo to earl Ralph.
5. Roger Bigot had one free- man, and fifteen acres,
Sec. and the king and the earl had ihe foe of the
whole town, which lying in fo manv parcels, was
valued in Stow, and the other manors of the fepa-
rate owners, fo that we meet not with the meafure,
por guild, paid for the town.
The confufi.on of the manors are fo great, that it
is difficult to trace their divifions and fub-divifions
exactly, and for want of a certain knowledge of the
bounds, many difputes have arole between the neii.h-
pouring proprietors of eitaies.
W A Y L A N D. 91
In 1282 Robert de Thompfon was lord of the ca-
pital manor, and pan on of the church, and left three
clau'jliters, his hcirefics ; Katherine, married to Phi-
lip de la Sale, who had UTue, Margaret, married to
Roger Crowe; and. Agnes, to Peter Copfey ; they
all held the manor and advowfon in common, ihcio,
being no partition made.
In an aclion about the advowfon in 1286, the jury
for the hundred found, that William de Thompfon,,
lord here, who was father of Robert, ufed to come
twice a year, with his fleward and four men, to the
flierirF's turn, till within thirty years laft paft, and
that YVarine de Muntchenfy withdrew one man from
coming, to the king's damage of 2s. per ann. and
that Dionife de Molekan now is in poffeflion of the
withdrawn man, and is in court, and fays, that fhe"
holds the manor in dower of the inheritance of Wil-
liam Mouncekan, her fon, who fays, that Warine de
Mumdienfy, Moncekan, or Molekan, his father,
died fcifed of the man fo withdrawn, and upon
proving it, he was difcharged.
In 1304 John Crowe, of Thompfon, purchafed
much here of John de Gey ton.
In 1308 part of the town was held by Fulk Bay-
nard, of Robert Fitz-Walter, and Scoulton manor
extended into this town, and had 205. rent here: this
afterwards was called Burdelofs's manor.
In 1307 Guy de Butetort, and Ada, his wife, had
purchafed the Crowes part, and fo became owners o
the capital manor and advowfon, in which Thomas
de Reppcs pretended fome claim; and after that it
came into the hands of fir John Shardelowe, knu
judice of the common pleas, and he fettled it on fir
G -i John
9 2 HUNDRED OF
John, his eldeft Ton. and Thomas, his brother, who
founded the college, and gave the advowfon and part
of the manor to it, though part of it continued a
a manor which was not fettled, and was called
BUTETORT, or BUTTFR'S-HALL, in Thcmpfon, of
which, in 1468, JtAri Edmundys died feifed. In
1571 AmbroTe Jermvn fold it to Lionel Talmach.
In 1^86 Thomas Bright, fen. had it ; and William
le Hunt, efq. was lord in 1660. In 1673 Johu
Gage, of Camberwell, in Surrey, conveyed it to
Thomas Grundy, of Weftminfter, who left it to
John, his brother.
The part conveyed to the college was called
Thompfon manor, and William Tooke, efq. of Ser-
jeant's-lnn, London, is the prefent proprietor. t
In 1512 Thomas Blakeney, gent, died feifed of
Wateihoufe manor here. In 1335 Robert Griggs,
cf Sparham, gent, died feifed of it, and Mr. Futter,
of Shclton, defcended from the ancient family of
that name, in this town, was lord.
In 1605 Burdelofs manor, which was the part that
formerly belonged to Scoulton manor, Baynard's,
Warner's, and Reedham's, xvhich were all in the col-
lege, and included in their manor of Thompfon, be-
longed to John Futter, and paffed in that family
Barrie's manor, in Thompfon, hath been many
ages united to Caflon-Hall, in Caflon, and fo conti-
nues at this day.
Mr. Futter, at his death, left the college, college
manor, and impropriate redlory, to Mr, Ware, his
W A Y L A N D. 93
fitter's fon, who fold the reory to Mr. Colman, the
college and manor to Mr. Cater, and part of the
college lands to Mr. Thomas Barker, vvhofe fons
now enjoy them. The Barkere's, or Barker's, are an
ancient family here.
Thompfbn was wrote Tomeftuna, and Turnefteda,
in Doomfday book.
THREXTON, fomedmes wrote Trekettone,
and in Doomfday-book Trettunam, and Trefluna.
The church was valued at nine marks, betides the
portion, and paid 55. procurations, sod. fynodals,
and gd. Peter-pence.
The prior of the monks of Norwich had a penfion
of los. per annum out of this church, being a per-
petual compofuion made by William de Raleigh, bi-
fhop of Norwich, in lieu of two parts of the great
tithes of the demefnes formerly of Wiganus Brito,
(Wigan Briton) in this town, which penfion was fet-
cled afterwards on the celerer of that monaft.ery, but
the prior and monks of Cattle Acre held the advow-
ibn of the church of the gift of Hugh de VVauci, and
and had a penfion of a mark a year paid them by the
rectors. It continued in that prior's gift till about
1321, and was then fold to John Salmon, bifhop of
Norwich, who fettled it on his fucceffors, and it not
being part of the barony of the fee, did not pafs with
it to the crown at the exchange, but remains in the
bifhop's gift at this time, who had a penfion of 133. 4d.
paid by the reclor, which was fettled when the pa-
tronage came to the fee, in lieu of the penfion due
to Cattle Acre, which he had purchafed with the ad-
vowfon. There was a guild dedicated to All Saints
here. The re&ory is valued at yl. 45. gd. ob. and
9 4 HUNDREDOF
being fworn of the clear value of 34!. 145. 40!. it is
difcharged of firft fruits and tenths, and is capable
In 1308, September 4, Robert Medmere, of Fret-
tenham, a poor clerk, had a bull of provifion from
the pope, directed to the bifhop, to provide for him^
who affigned him this reclory.
In 1400, July 6, the right Rev. John, by God's
permiffion archbifhop of Smyrna, fuffragan to the
bifhop of Norwich, was re&or here,
In 1 736 the Rev. Mr. John Soley, jun. was col-
lated by the bifhop of Norwich to this reclory.
The church confifis of one aile only, which is
tiled; the chancel is thatched, and the fteeple is low
and round. In the fouth window arc the arms of
Clare, earl of Gloucefter, Tony, and Beauchamp.
On a brafs in the middle aile, Orate pro anima
Roberti More, cujus anima propiactur Deus.
The temporals of the prior of Thetford were va-
lued at 45.
Simon Senz Aveyr gave to the church of the Holy
Trinity of Norwich a third part of his tithes of
Threxton, and he gave feifin by delivery of a branch
This town paid il. 135. 4d. to the tenths, and is
now affeffed at 156!. to the land tax, the whole being
joined, and reduced to one houie only.
W A Y L A N D. 95
In the Confcflbr's and Conqueror's time this ma-
nor hud one carucate and a half in demefne, and was
held by Hugh of William de Warren, who had it of
the Conqueror's gift, and granted it to be held of his
caflle of Lewes ; it was worth 305. and the town was
then a mile and a half long, and a mile broad, and
paid i$d. gelt.
The manor and advowfon was in Philip leWcaltre,'
\vlio married Efmond, filler of Ralph c^e VVauci, of
North Bafliam, and had with her in marriage this
manor and advowfon, which, at her death, fhe gave
with all her goods to the monks of Caftle Acre; but
Hugh, fon of Ralph de Wauci, entered alter her
death on the lands, Sec. and the monks coming to a
compofuion with him, he confirmed his aunt's will,
and William le Wealtre, or Wewter, Efmond's grand-
fon, confirmed the lands and church to them, on
condition that Jeffrey Fitz-Peter, of Threxton, and his
heirs, fliould hold the manor and lands of the
monks, paying 203. per ann. as the rent of it to the
prior, who was always taxed for this rent at 205,.
and the faid Peter, and his heirs, held it at the
third part of a fee: aftei this, Henry, prior of Acre,
furrendered to William le Wealtre their land in
Threxton, called Morehall, to be held of the monks,
but he put them in pofleffion of the advowfon, by
the texts of the Evangel ifl laid on the altar, and they
had it till 1321, when they conveyed it to the
The other part of Threxton came to Wiganus
Brito, (Wigan Briton) who fettled two parts of his
tithes on Threxton church, and one third on the
prior of Norwich; but about 124.6 there was a
perpetual competition made between the prior of
Norwich aud the reclor, by which it was agr.ced,
9 6 HUNDRED OF
t^.at the rector fhould for ever receive all the tithes,
paying the prior a penfion of los. a year; this part
was always held of the honor of Clare, and was af-
terwards ivided into many fmall parcels, all which
were (mall manors, as Hemenhale's, Berthing's, Pence-
thorpe. Curlewe's, Moumcney's, &c. which took
their names from their feveral owners, but have been
all re-uniied, as they flill continue.
In 1327 thefe manors, which were held of Clare
honor, were then held of Robert Fitz-Waltei ; and
in 1335 fir Robert de Hemenhale, knt. fold this ca-
pital manor, which extended into Little CrelTingham,
Merton, Stanford, Watton, and Sahara, and the
moiety of a manor in Weft Deieham, to John de
In 1546 fir Richard Southwell, knt. was poffefTed
of an cflate here, but it was only part of Sahara
In 1550 Chrifiopher Motmteney, of Threxton,
gent, was buried in this church ; and Hemenhale's
manor was held in 1562 by Richard Mounteney, his
fon and heir, of fir Chriltopher Heydon, knt. to
whom it was fold before 1570 ; for in 1572 he was
lord: after him fir William Heydon. knt. had the
united manors of Threxton, Hemenhale's, Curie's,
Ferthing's, and Pencethorpe, all which were held of
the honor of Clare, and afterwards came to the
Sir Robert Houghton, lent, had them; Francis
Houghton, efq. his fon and heir, died April 13, 1629.
It continued in this familv till it was mortgaged to fir
John Prettyman ; and was after affigned, as Mr.
Neve fays, to fir John Holland, of Quiddenham,
W A Y L A N D. 97
and af -T that to fir Edmund Bacon, of Garboldifhain,
who purchafed the Houghton's eftate, and fold this
again to Robert Knopvvood, efq. and his grandfon is
the prefcnt lord.
TOTTINGTON (wrote in Doomfday-bookTotin-
tuna) church, with the confent of Robert de Morti-
mer, was given by John le Strange to the priory of
St. Ma^y, and the nuns at Campefle, in Suffolk, in
1 196, and was appropriated to that houfe in 1302. It
was valued at 30 marks, and the vicarage at fix
marks. The prior of Thetford had a penfion of 405.
per ann. the procurations were 75. jd. ob. fynodals
45. 4d. and Peter-pence 2s. There were two guilds.
The church itfelf was dedicated to St. Andrew, who
had alfo his guild kept in it. There is an houfe and
half an acre of meadow only, belonging to the mi-
In 1404 there was great complaint made that the
profits of the vicarage were much impaired bv the
number of rabbets on the warren of John Fitz-Ralph,
fo that it was not able to pay the whole tenth of 40$.
The vicarage is valued at 61. 145. gd. ob. and being
f\vorn of the clear yearly value of lol. 45. 3d. it is
difcharged of firft fruits and tenths, and is capable of
The town paid 5!. 75. 6d. to the tenths, and is now
affclfed at 366!. 135. 4d. for the land-tax.
This vicarage hath been held by fequeftration only,
fince February 26, 1005, as it now is, by die Rev.
There were many religious concerned here. The
of Carrowc's te.npoiuls were taxed at 2s.
9 S HUNDREDOF
The prior of Broombill's at 35. 4d. and the priorefsof
Campefle's temporals, viz. their manor and reins, at
$1. 135. 4d. and the fpirituals of the faid piiorefs, viz.
the irripropriation, at sol. In 1480 Gonville-hall, in
Cambridge, was taxed for their tenement here.
The prior of the monks of Thetford's temporals, viz.
their lands and rents ofaffize, were valued at 505. lod.
and their fpirituals, viz. the tithes of the lands of
Warner de Totintona, and of their own demefnes, at
In 1342 John Brond held land in foccage of the
abbot of Bury, by the rent of 13d. per annum.
Mr. Le Neve, in his collections, fays, " that this
irnpropriate reclory was fold by fir Thomas South-
well, knt. to Thomas Hall, that Francis Wind-
ham, efq. was late farmer of it, at il. 135. 4d. per ann.
and that it was given by James I. to the divinity pro-
feflor in Cambridge, it being fettled on Trinity col-
ledge, in Cambridge, in truft for him; it is faid to be
in truflees hands for the ufe of Chigwell fchool, in
The church here is large, and a good pile, having
a nave and two ailes, well leaded, and is well feated
throughout alike, and the heads are all carved^ on the
back of one of the feats at the upper end of the foutli
aile is this, Orate pro animabus Walteri Salkr, et
Alicie uxon's ejus et pro quibus tenentur. This Walter
Salter lived in the time of Richard III. The family
had a good eftate, and refided here above 200 years,
and were lords of a fmall manor here, called Boken-
ham's, or Macham's.
W A Y L A N D. gg
There is a black marble for Robert Knopwood,
who died May 27, i 723, aged 63.
At the eafl end of the north aile lies a loofe brafs,
under the effigies of a woman and her daughter, in-
Icribed to Margaret Porey, who died April 3, 1598.
The tower is fqnare, and hath a fpirc and four
bells. The chancel and fouth porch are leaded, and
the north veftry is down. Great part of the
church-yard wall is topped with large coffin-ftones,
with croffes of various forms on them ; they were
formerly laid over the vicars or other religious per-
fons who were buried here, and have been fmce
taken from their graves, and applied to the prefent
ToTTINGTON, OF MORTIMERS MANOR. Alwi, 2
Saxon, was lord in the Confcffbr's time, and the Con-
queror gave it to Robert Bigot, of whom Ralph t'iiz-
Herlewin held it at the furvey. It contained four
carucates, three of which were demefne. The manor
was worth 8os. afterwards it fell to 6os. The whole
town was better than four milss in length, and two in
breadth, and paid i5d. to the gelt. It continued in
the Bigot's, and in king Stephen's time Hugh Bigot
owned it, who divided it, and gave part to the prior
of Thctford, which conflituted their manor here, and
the other part to John le Strange ; and it appears that
part of it was afterwards conveyed to Warner, or
\VarindeTottington, who gave ihe tithes of his ef-
tate, which contained half a knight's fee, to Thctford
In 1195 there was a difpute between Robert Mor-
timer, of Attleburgh, and John It: Strange, of Ilun-
flanton, concerning five lees in Huultamon, Totting-
loo HUNDRED OF
ton, Sec. and at lafl Robert releafecl the whole to
John, and John gave the church to the nuns at Cam-
peffe, with all the lands belonging to it, excepting
divers rents and fervices, that conflituted the manor
STRANGE'S, which continued in that family till
John le Strange, of Hunftanton, efq. by deed dated the
5th of Henry V. confirmed to the priorefs of Cam-
pcffe his manor in Tottington, called Stranges, with all
thereto belonging. This manor remained in the con-
vent to the diffolution, and was granted with the ad-
vowfon, Sec. to fir Richard Southwell, knt. and fo
united to the capital manor.
In 1 244 William de Mortimer, lord of Mortimer's
manor, had the aflize of bread and beer, waif, tre-
buchet, and free-warren here, and in Scoulton ; and
in i 286 it was returned upon a quo warranto, that the
faid William, Petronil de Tony, (who was lady of the
hundred) Margaret de Ware, and Sarah de Bray, held
in common among them the leet of this town, as
partners with the faid William, and that they had a
tumbrell here. Conftantine de Mortimer, of Scoulton,
held this manor of Robert le Strange, he of Robert de
Monteah. he of the earl of Albcmarlc, and he of the
king. It went with Attlebmgh, and on the divifion
of the Mortimer's eftatc paffcd, with Scoulton, to the
Fitz-Ralphs. In 1544 Ralph Chamberlain fold it to
Richard Southwell, by the name of Mortimer's manor
in Tottington, Stanford, Little Creffingharn, Thomp-
fon, Sturfton, and Threxton.
In 1558 the manors were ail joined, for fir Richard
Southwell, knt. mffered a recovery of the manors of
lottington, Stanford's, and Mortimer's, with the im-
propriation and advowfon of the vicarage, to the ufe
W A Y L A N D. 101
of himfelf for life, the remainder to Elizabeth, wife of
George Henea^e, daughter of fir Richard, for life;
and in 1572 George Heneage had it. It came
after to fir Robert Southwell, who fold it to Edward
In 1635 the lady Jane Harte paid 20!. per ann.
out of thefe manors, to John Harte, according to the
will of fir Euftace Harte, knt. deceafed. It after be-
longed to Thomas Garrard, efq. and after to fir Ni-
cholas Garrard, of Langford, bart. who died in 1727,
leaving it to his widow, the lady Garrard, who held
all the manors, and fir William de Grey, lord chief
juflice of the common pleas, purchafed it, and is the
STANFORD'S MANOR. Alwin, a Saxon, owned this
part in the Confeflbi's time, and Roger de Ramis
had it allotted him by the Conqueror. He gave it to
Waregius, who held it at the Conqueror's furvey,
when it was worth aos. per ann. it being fallen half
its value fince Alwin's time. It contained three ca-
rucates, one of them being demefne.
In 1275 Maud de Ebroicis granted to Thomas de
Solarijs, for life, with remainder to herfclf and heirs,
this manor, which then contained two carucates.
About 1290 Thomas de Ware held it, at half a fee,
of Petronil de Vaux ; in 1344 Ofbcrt de Boyton
died feifed of this, and Langford manor ; and in 1466
it was fettled in marriage by John Wyndham, efq.
the father, on his fon John, and Margaret his wife,
daughter of fir John Howard, knt. afterwards duke of
Norfolk, and their heirs ; and afterwards it was pur-
chafed by fir Richard Southwell, and joined to Morti-
mer's manor, with which it now continues.
CAMPF.SSE MANOR, at the cliflblution of that houfe,
devolved to the crown, with the impropriation and pa-
tronage, and was given by Henry VIII. in 1530, with
all the houfes, lands, Sec. belonging to that monaflcrv,
to Richard Southwell, and his heirs, who was to hold
it of the crown, by the annual fee-farm rent of 3!.
which is now paid to Horatio lord Walpole, and was
lately the earl of Tankerville's, it being granted from
the crown, with many other fee-farm rents in the
THETFORD MONKS MANOR, at the diflblution, was
granted by Henry VIII. in the gsd year of his reign,
to Thomas duke of Norfolk, to be held in capite, who
fold it to the Southwells, and fo it united to the other
BOKENHAM'S, MARTHAM'S, CM-MACHAM'S MANOR,
had its rile out of Stanford's manor as aforefaid, when
Thomas de Ware fettled half of it on Hugh de Bo-
kenham, in 1345. It feems to have been divided
foon after, for in 1402 Thomas de Tottington held a
part ef it of the honor of Richmond. Mr. Neve
fays, that it came to the Salters, that Edmund
Salter was lord in 1629, and that about 1714 it was
fold by Edmund, fon of Robert, along with their ef-
tate, to Mr. Everfdon.
The fcite of the rc&ory joined to the eaft part of
the church -yard, where now is the reclory barn.
There is alfo another barn about two furlongs north-
weft of the church, which is moated in, and has a good
fifhery belonging to it. By this place are feveral
ruins of buildings, which feem to have been the old
W A Y L A N D. 103
Tn 1774 the reverend William Clough, fequef-
traior of tiiis vicarage, was prcfented by the king, by
WATTON, or WAOETUN*, as it is anciently fpel-
led, may fignify the to\vn by the ford, thadan in the
Saxon language, fignifies/0 wade over arivcr, tmdihade
the ford, or pl.nce that people go over at. And ac-
cordingly there are divers fords over the river that
runs between this town and Saham.
At the time of the ConfefTor it was in two manors.
Aldred, a free-woman, held the head manor at five
carucates, which Ralph Fitz-Waltcr held of the Con-
queror's gift, there being four carucates in demefne,
wood fuflicient for its maft to maintain 400 fwine,
and a church, with 20 acres of land belonging to it,
worth id. an acre. The manors were each worth
4!. per ann. The town was a league long, and half
a league broad, and paid igd. ob. out of every twenty
fhillings that the hundred railed to the gelt, or tax, but
at the furvey the whole was joined, and reduced to
7!. per ann.
The whole continued in the Fitz-Walters till
Ralph Fitz-YVaher gave the advowfon of the church,
and near a third part of the town, to the prior of the
monks of Thetford, in which houfe it continued to
its difibliuion, when it was conveyed with the impro-
piiate rectory, and the advowfon of the vicarage, to the
duke of Norfolk, by the name of Monks-Wick ma-
nor, in Walton, and was after purchafed by John
Wright, and Thomas Holmes, who' fold it to lir
William dc Grey, knt. who (old it to the lord of
II 2 Watton-hall
* Wrote in Doomfday book IV
104 HUNDRED OF
Watton-hall manor, to \vhicli * hath been joined
WATTON-HALL, or the head manor, came from
the Fitz-Walters very early to the D'cngaines, and
went with Ada D'engaine to Robert de Vallibus, or
.Vaux, her hufband, who had livery of it in i 139, as
of his wife's inheritance, but did not defcend to his
ion with the reft of his eft ate, being granted (as we
muft fuppofe) by him to Robert de Vaux, his uncle,
upon his feating himfelf in Norfolk : at his death,
William, his elded fon, fucceeded, and left it to John
de Vaux, his third fon. who obtained a charter for a
weekly market to be held in this manor every Friday.
But in 1 204 there was a writ brought to enquire whe-
ther it was not prejudicial to the market of Saham,
and it being found fo, the chatter was recalled ;
before the expiration of this year, Oliver de Vaux,
having the manor conveyed to him by his brother, by
his great interefl with the king, obtained a new-
charter, in which the market was granted to be held
every Wednefday, as it is at this day. Afterwards
finding the liberties of the people much injured, he
became one of thofe barons that met together at Stan-
iord, in an hoftile mann'er, and fent the king word to
Oxford, " that if he did not reflore the people their
ancient liberties, they defigned to poffefs themfelves of
all his caflles, and lands ;" for which this, and his
other lordfhips in Norfolk, were feized on ; but after,
upon his fubmiffion, they were reflored. In i 237 he
granted to Richard de Rapella, or Rokele, the half of
his manor, to be held of him by knight's fervice,
which is at this day called Rokele's manor. John,
his iecond fon, granted a meffuage to Richard de