Copyright
Anna Riggs Miller.

History and antiquities of the county of Norfolk (Volume 9) online

. (page 6 of 31)
Online LibraryAnna Riggs MillerHistory and antiquities of the county of Norfolk (Volume 9) → online text (page 6 of 31)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


efq. of Merton, late reprefentative of this county)
bifhop of Norwich, on June 2, in the 5th year of
his pontificate, granted it to the prior of Norwich,
by way of exchange for certain tenures at Lynn ;
and in the gth of Henry III. the prior gave two
palfreys to have a fair and a mercate here and in
Hemefby.

Sir John de Cattefton, or Caflon, confirmed in
1 246, to the prior, Simon, 8cc. all that they held of
the fee of Walter Fitz-Roger, in Secheford, faving

to

* Parkin.



S M I T H D O N. 77

to him and his heirs, fcutage, relief, ward to Nor-
wich caflle, and fuit of court to the fhcrirrs ; wit-
neffes, Sir Adam de Burlingham, knt. William dc
Hakeford, Mr. Ralph de Thurilon, &c.

The faid prior and convent granted to Sir John
and his heirs, free ingrefs into their manor, and to
diflrain as well on their free men and villains, as
their men and tenants, which he held of the faid
fee.

At the diffolution of the priory, which is all that
is authentic or certain of this manor, it was granted
by king Henry VIII. to a chapter at Norwich found-
ed by him for a dean and fix prebendaries.

The prior of Norwich formerly paid a fine to the
family of L'Eflrange for certain lands, therefore it
fhould feem that the principal manor was in the
Hunflanton family, but of late years they held it
by leafe from the chapter, which the late fir Tho-
mas L'Eftrange, elder brother to fir Henry, for want
of renewal, on account of fome difpute with the
dean, fuftered to lapfe to the chapter, who let it on
Jeafe to fir Edward Hulfe, bart. phyfician to king
George II.

The leafe is now in Edmund Rolfe, Efq. of Hea-
chem, who purchafed it of baron Dimfdale (the
phyfician) fo created by the prefent emprefs of Ruf-
fia, on account of his having inoculated her for the
fmall-pox with fuccefs. The dean and chapter of
Norwich are the prefent lords : fir Thomas L'Eftrange
by not renewing with the dean and chapter of Nor-
wich, not o^ly loft the eilate of Sedgcford, but is
fuppofed alfo to have fuffered a confiderable lofs of
lands belonging to the Hunftamon eftate, which
could not dien be diftinguifhed from die chapter

lands ;



7 8 KUNDREDOF

lands ; for this loidfhip being in the occupation of
the tenants of the L'Eftrange family for fo many
vears, in procefs of time they had ploughed up all
the mere-banks, and the lands on the divifiori of the
eftate could not be exaclly afcertained and feparated :
as appears from fome very good maps now in the
family, which point them out, but not fo diflinclly
as to ground a claim.

CASTON'S Manor. This manor was originally in
the family of fir John de Cafton. The fucceffion
thence uncertain : It was, according to Parkin, in the
Delapoles, by which probably he meant the family
of De la Pole, of whom one was a cardinal, arch-
bifhop of Canterbury, duke of Norfolk. By them
it was entailed on fir Hamon L'Eftrange of Hun-
ftanton.

In this family it remains, the late fir Henry
L'Eftrange, bart. being the laft lord ; the prefcnt
lords, his joint heirs, fir Edward Aftley and Nico-
las Styleman, efq.

The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The pre-
fent vicar is the Rev. Mr. John Hatch, prefented by
the dean and chapter of Norwich in 1751'

There is a magazine for arms ftill remaining on
the eftate, near tl} farm belonging to Edmund Rolfe,
efq. now in the occupation of Mr. Wacey Dunham,
who has a confiderable property of his own in this
town.

There is alfo a tumulus, which Mr. Dunham
wifhing to remove, found upon digging into it a
number of human fkulls and bones : this is a con-
firmed proof that the tumuli fo often found in this
country were the ancient burying-places of the Ro-
mans



S M I T H D O N. 7 g

mans and other invaders of this country : Mr. Dun-
ham, upon dif covering the bones, greatly to the ho-
nor of his humanity, defifled from his defign, and
re-interred them with great care and attention.

GNATYNGDON. Near to the town of Sedgeford
there was a village or hamlet at the Conqueft called
Nettington, and afterwards Gnatyngdon. At the
(in vey it was the lordfhip of Godwin Halden.

This Godwin Halden held alfo at the furvey the
manor of Hellcfdon near Norwich, and the manor
of Oxnead in South Erpingham hundred, granted by
the Conqueror.

l

" Godwin Halden, by his name feems to be an
" old Englifh Saxon, or Dane, and how he carne to
" be in fuch favour, and to merit fo much from the
" Conqueror is not known ; it is however worthy of
" our remark and notice, that if he was an Englifh
" Saxon, &c. he is the only one I have yet found in
" Norfolk that was allowed to keep his land at the
" Conquelt, and hold it at the furvey." *

Parkin is miftaken in this, Edwin the Dane who
came into England with king Canute, and married
the heirefs of Thoke, lord of Sherbourne, was al-
lowed to keep his lands : the Conqueror had indeed
given them to earl Warren, but ordered them on
the appeal of Edwin to be reilored to him,

SHERNBOURN, or. Sharnbourne. Called ia
Doomfday book, Serlebruna, Scernebrune, Sherne-
buna, taking its name from a brook or rivulet of
clear water; as Sherford in this county; Chcrcford
in Hamplhire ; Sherborne in Gloucellerihire ; Sher-
burn in Durham ; Charing, and Cheriton in K,ent.

H

* Parkin.



8o HUNDRED OF

It was then in the hundred of Docking, but now
in Smithdon hundred.

Sir Henry Spelman, and the reft of our hiftorians
relate, that one Thoke was lord of this town when
Fcelix, the bifhop of the Eaft Angles, came into this
part of his diocefe, in king Sigebert's time, about
the year 640, to convert it to Chriftianity ; and be-
ing one of his converts, built a church here dedi-
cated to St. Peter and Paul, the fecond that was
creeled in the kingdom of the Eaft Angles, the firft
being a little before founded by the encouragement
of the faid bifhop at Babinglev, where he firft,
landed. The church was very fmall, and (accord-
ing to the cuftom of that age) made of wood, for
which reafon it was called Stock-Chapel.

The heirefs of this Thoke married Ingulfe, whofe
pofterity enjoyed it till the time of king Canute the
Dane, when that king granted it, with Snettifham,
&c. to Edwin,. who came with him into England out
of Denmark in 1014, on his marriage with the heir-
efs of the family and defcendants of the faid Ingulfe.

At the co'nqueft it was feized and granted to Wil-
liam de Albini ; but upon application from Edwin
to the king, was ordered to be reftored : after this
fir Ralph de Ibrenijs, a Norman, impriloned Edwin,
who applying to Albini for relief, he fern for a
daughter of his out of Normandy, and married her
to the fon of Edwin, which put an end to all the
claims of Edwin, who by this match became fatis-
fied, and, retiring, died foon after in peace and
quiet.

This relation is taken from a MS. of the family
and pedigree of the Shamburns, wrote (as it fcems
by the hand) about the time of Henry VIII. for-
merly



S M I T H D O N. 81

mcrly in the pofTeflion of fir Henry Spelman, or
lent to him, and now is in the Afhmolean library
or mufseum at Oxford, among the MSS. of fir Wil-
liam Dugdale, garter king at arms, lol. 57,

It was in the family of the Southertons, who
married the heirefs of the Sharn burns ; and the lady
Southerton defired Francis Gardiner, efq. alderman
of Norwich, (afterwards mayor in 1685) to deliver
it to fir William Dugdale, and to acquaint him it
was her defire it fhould be dcpofited in the library
of the heralds office, which fir William forgot to do,
and fo gave it, with his other books, to the mufacura
abovementioned.

Parkin calls in queflion the authenticity of this
MSS. and feems to doubt the truth of its contents ;
but it bears the marks of authenticity about it equal-
ly with other tcftimonies of antiquity, and is war-
ranted bv die tradition of the times. The ruft of
time has invaded all accounts in writing of thefe
early periods of our hiflory ; the whole is clouded
and in obfcurity, and proves the uncertainty of all
pedigrees, poffeffions, and fa$s, in the years before
the conqueft, and previous to the general furvey;
from which the book, called Doomfday book, was
formed. All we can fay with truth is, that one hif-
torian is perhaps more lucky in his guefs than an-
other, or more plaufible in his reafbning, but at laft
the whole of the hiftory is but guefs-work, and the
beft informed hiftorian is often in the dark, and de-
livers down to poiterity little better than

" A tale told by an ideot." Shakefp.

Fuller, in his Worthies, calls this Edwin by the

name of Shanburn, and relates that he traverfed the

title of the earl Warren to this lordfhip, and being a

L Norfolk



82 H UNBRED O F

Norfolk man durft go to law with the Conqueror,
and queflion the validity of his donations ; yea he
got the better of the fuit, (fays he) and the king s
grant was adjudged void.

Fuller does great honor, in this relation, to the
gentlemen of Norfolk, to fuppofe that none but a
native of this county dare to conteft with a king, or
as the fenfe of the pafiage will rather bear, that the
Conqueror was more afraid of the men of Norfolk
than other of his invaded fubjecls : however, he made
pretty free with the county of Norfolk, in his divifi-
ons to his favorite Normans.

It cannot be denied that Norfolk has produced
many brave men, and great commanders both by land
and fea ; and it may be prefumed that the fame no-
ble fpirit of their anceftors will animate their defcen-
dants at this day, now in arms for the defence of
their country againft its moft inveterate, but often
defeated enemies.

" Fortes creantur fortibus." HOR.

RUSTEYN'S Manor. After many different porTef-
fors of the ancient and noble family of the Sharn-
bornes, this lordfhip came into poffeffion of the Maf-
ter and Fellows of Emanuel college in Cambridge,
the prcfent lords and proprietors, and the patronage
of the church is in the bifhop of Ely.

James Coldham, efq. of Anmer, has a confidera-
ble -property in this town, as had the late Dr. Thur-
fton, Fellow of Caius and Gonville college, Cam-
bridge.

Shernbourn hall farm was given to Emanuel col-
lege, by leafe and releafe, Augufl 15, 1635, by Fran-
cis



S M I T H D O N. 83

cis Afhe, efq. a RufTia merchant in London, who
purchafed it the year before of Francis Sharnborne,
efq. whofe daughter and heirefs married firAugufline
Sotherton, of Taverham near Norwich.

This eflate has been finely improved of late years
by James Coldham, efq. of Anmer, a gentleman
much cfteemed in this county, and an excellent ma-
giflrate, who, in conjunction with the Mafter and
Fellows W Emanuel college in Cambridge, and other
proprietors, obtained an a& of parliament for enclo-
fmg it : before this, great part of it was wafte, and
covered with fir-bufhes and ling, but now produces
plentiful crops of wheat, bailey, and other grain.

The village lies in a valley : a great opportunity,
or, to ufe the modern word, capability is afforded
from its. fituation to form canals, fHh-ponds, or other
cxtcnfive pieces of water. Mr. Coldham has alfo
Laid out *new roads, leading to and through this pa-
rifh: thefe. roads are 30 feet wide, and by much the
beft of any in the neighbourhood.

There are two other manors in this town :

WIN'DHAM PRIORY Manor, an4
LEWIS PRIORY Manor.

The family of Sharnbome pofleffed this lordfhip
almoit 600 years, the name continuing in a fucccfli-
on till the beginning of the laft century. This fa-
mily of the Sharnbornes was one of the moft diflin-
guifhed families in all England, having produced
many great warriors, whofe names are celebrated in
hiflory : amongfl others,

Sir Adam de Shamborne, knighted in the Holy
Land, in the reign oi Richard I.

L 2 Sir



84 HUN D*R E D O F

Sir Andrew de Sharnborne, knighted in the Holy
Land, in the reign of king John.

Sir Peter de Sharnborne ferved in the Holy Land,
in the time of Henry III.

Sir Andrew de Sharnborne was knighted in the Holy
Land, 1248, at the holy fepulchre, in the pretence
of many French, Spanilh, and German nobility.

Sir Andrew de Sharnborne, his fon, was at the
battle of Crefiy, and at the fiege of Calais, and died
afterwards at the fiege of Rhcnes, being killed by a
great ftone.

Thomas de Sharnborne was chamberlain to the
famous queen Margaret, confort to Henry VI. He
married Jemona de Cherneys, one of her maids of
honor, a French lady, and dying February 3, 1458,
was buried, with his wife, in Shembourn church.

Sir Henry de Sharnborne, knighted by king Hen-
ry VIII. was provoft-marfhal and vice-admiral of
England, and was killed in a lea-fight with the
French.

Thomas de Sharnborne, fon and heir of fir Henry,
was with his father when killed, being then 1 8 years
of age. He became deaf from the explofion of the
great guns in the action ; an event not unfrequent at
this day. He married one of the maids of honor to
the princefs Elizabeth, afterwards the glorious queen
of England of that name.

Francis Sharnborne, efq. was the laft of this fa-
mily that bore the name of Shamborne ; his daugh-
ter and heirefs married fir Auguftine Sotherton, of

Taverham



SMITHDON. 85

Taverham near Norwich', in the time of the ufurpa-
tion of Oliver Cromwell.

By this branch, Miles Branthwayte, jun. e r q. of
Taverham, becomes a defcendant in the right line
to this moft ancient and illuftrious family: Miles
Branihwayte, efq. his father, married Maria, the
only daughter of Thomas Sotherton, efq. of Taver-
ham, lately deceafed, and who was the lad remain-
ing heirefs of the Sharnbornes. The prefent Mrs.
Branthwayte appears to be, beyond the power of
contradiction, the fole undoubted heirefs of one of
the firft and nobleft families in Norfolk.

Miles Branthwayte, efq. was nephew to the late
Miles Branthwayte, of Hethel, efq. who fevcral times
flood candidate to reprefent the city of Norwich in
parliament : he had a fon and two daughters : his
fon died before him, and one of his daughters : this
young lady was unfortunately killed in the park of
fir Annine Wodehoufe, bart. of Kimberlcy: her
horfe ran away with her after her father s coach, which
had drove from the houfe while fhe was mounting
her laddie, and carrying her the neareft way to get
up to the coach amongft the trees of the park, dafh-
ed her head againil the arm of a tree, and killed her
on the fpot, to the great diflrefs of her family and
friends. Arthur Branthwayte, a young gentleman
much eftcemed amongfl his acquaintance, died of a
confumption very early in life : his fifter Elizabeth,
the only fifter that furvived him, married the prefent
Thomas Beevor, efq. of Hethel, a magiftrate who does
honor to the king's commifiion, and a gentleman
much refpeclcd in the county. On the dcceafe of
Miles Branthwayte, the father, his eftate of 3000!.
a year became by his will equally divided between
his only furviving daughter, Mrs. Beevor, and his
nephew, (fon of the Rev. Mr. Branlhwayte, rector

of



86 HUNDRED OF

of Kettleftone in the hundred of Callow) the prefent
Miles Bramthwayte, ef'q. of Taverham. His fon
Miles, a young gentleman much beloved for his af-
fability and obliging carriage, is now the only heir
to the Sham borne family, which has produced men
of the firft note in this kingdom. Mr. Branthwayte,
the father, is a gentleman of a very amiable character,
and greatly eftecmed by all who know him. He
lately acceded to the Sotherton eftate at Taverham,
in right of his lady, Maria, the daughter and heirefs
of the late Thomas Sotherton, efq. as before men-
tioned.

The arms of Sharnborne were gules, a lion ram-
pant, or, which were the arms of their lords, De
Albiny, of whom they held lands, and a canton, er^
mine, was added for diftin&ion.

In the old hall, and other rooms, were formerly
thefe following arms, painted on the glafs :

Gules, two greyhounds combatant, or, Dogget,
impaling argent, a chevron, between three feamows
heads, fable ; Norman, quere if not a chevron,
azure, between three unicorns heads erafed ; Sharn-
borne and Ellefwick, argent, on a chevron between
three eaglets, with two heads difplayed, gules, as
many bezants, quarterly - Sharnborne and Ellef-
wick, quarterly, impaling gules, a faltire between

four crols crofslets, fitche, argent, Brampton ;

azure, three ftanding cups, or barry of 8, argent
and azure, a grifEn, fegreant, or, Caus ; ermin. a
bend, checque, fable and argent, Curfon ; Sham-
borne, impaling Curfon, and Felton quarterly ;

or, a fefs between two chevronels, gules, and a can-
ton, ermine, Ilketefhale ;-~azure, three lions heads
erafed, argent, Tooly.

The



S M I T H D O N. 87

The church is an antique pile, dedicated to St.
Peter, but not built by Fcclix, the bifliop, as the
Sherborne MS. represents, by fabulous tradition ; has
a body, with a Couth ille, covered with lead, never
had any tower, and the chancel has been long in
ruins.

At the upper end of the church was a grave-ftonc
with the portraitures of a man and his wife, and

" Tho. Sherneborne camerar. D'ne Margarete An-
" glie regine, et Jamone uxor. ejus quo'da 1 domicel-
" larie ejuid. regine."

In Englifh, " Thomas Sherneborne, chamberlain

' " of our lady Margaret, queen of England, and Je-

" mona his wife, formerly maid of honor to the fame

" queen." This lady was of French extraction, and

of the family of De Cherney.

Under the infcription Sharnborne, impaling three
martlets in fefs, and a file of three in chief, De
Cherneys.

Weaver fays this monument was fo fouly defaced
in his time, that nothing could be made of it, the
vulture displayed only remaining, the creft of the fa-
mily.

In the church -were the arms of the lords Mow-
bray, Albiny, Rofs, Vaux, with thole of Walkfare,
Felton, Wefenham, Gourney, Repps, Elmham, or
Ellingham, Stanhow, Calthorp, Harfick, Ingaldef-
thorp, and ermine, on a fefs, gules, three elcallops,
or, Seckford; fable, chevron, between three trefoils,
fliped, argent, Fitz-Lewes..

Cambden



8S H U N D R D O F

Camden is of opinion that this church was built
by Fcelix, though Parkin looks upon it as a fabulous
tradition : it was certainly a town of great note for-
merly, and gave its name to many illuftrious warri-
ors of the family of the Sharnbornes. Camden
fays, " Shernborn on this coaft is well worth our
" notice, becaufe Fcelix, the Burgundian, who con-
" verted the Eaft Angles to Chriflianity, built here
" the fecond Chriftian church of that province : the
" firft he is faid to have built at Babingley, where
" he landed."

At the diffolution of the reclory, it came to the?
crown, and was granted, with the patronage of the
vicarage, to the bifhop of Ely, by act of parliament,
in the 4th of Elizabeth, for lands belonging to that
fee, by way of exchange.

The Rev. Mr. Anthony Carr is the prefent vicar,
and was prefented by the bifhop of Ely to the vica-
rage in 1752.

SNETTISHAM. This lordfhip was by far the
mo ft confide.able lordfhip of any in the county of
Norfolk.

It is fuppofed to derive its name from the little ri-
ver that runs through it into the fea, called Snet, and
Ham, a little village upon it: whether it be fo or
not, it is however wrote in the book of Doomfday,
Snetefham, and not Netefham, as has been imagined,
from its being famous for feeding neat cattle, and
numerous herds of cows.

This town is fituated upon the rife of the little ri-
ver Ingol. Canute gave it to Edwin the Dane, who,
it is faid, had alfo an extenfive plain to the eaflward
of Snettifham, and built an edifice on a hill, which

the



S M I T H D O N. 89

the Latinifts of that age called Hogus-Pocus, now
Stone-how, or Stanhoe ; but William de Albini took
the town from him, and left it to his poflcrity, the
carls of Albany.

The lordfliip of Snettifham was granted by Willi-
am II. to this William de Albini, the kings butler,
or pincerna regis, about the year 1089.

William the Conqueror had originally granted it
to Odo, bifhop of Bayeux in Normandy, and his
half-brother ; he had alfo created him earl of Kent,
and he was in poffeffion of this manor in the year
1085, at the time the grand furvey was taken through-
out England: but after the deceafe of William I.
which happened September the gth, 1087, William
II. deprived Odo of this lordfhip for rebelling againft
him, and joining the intereu of his elder brother Ro-
bert, who laid claim to the crown.

In the gth of Edward I. on a fuit commenced
by the taking of a great whale with boats, &c. this
lordfliip was found to have wreck at fea.

King Edward III. in his 46th year, granted it
to his fon, John of Gaunt, duke of Lancafter, in
exchange for the earldom of Richmond.

In the 3d of Henry V. it was fettled in truft, July
22, on Henry, archbiuhop of Canterbury, the bifhop
of Wincheftcr, Sec. and was farmed by them of the
crown.

King Henry VIII. in his 2d year, demifed to Ed-
mund Bedingfield, of Oxburgh, the fcite of this
manor, with all the houfes, fheep-cotes, and profits
of the conys, within the king's wapentake, with.
M many



9 o HUNDREDOF

many other things, for feven years, belonging to the
dutchy of Lancafier.

Wymond Carye, efq. farmed it of queen Eliza-
beth, and after of king James I. and was knighted
May 30, 1604, at Whitehall: he married Cathe-
rine, daughter of fir John Jernegan, of Somerley
town/in Suffolk, relict of Henry Crane, of Chikori
in Suffolk, efq. who, by the name of Dame Cathe-
rine Carey, of Fleet-hall in Stoiieham Parva, Suffolk,
made her will, February 13, 1613, and gave legacies
to her mother, Catherine Bellamy ; to her fon, fir
Robert Crane, and his wife; to fir Philip Knevet,
bart. her nephew, and his wife; to her fitter, the
lady Hobart ; to her nephew, Francis Jernegan ; and
the reft of her eflate to fir Thomas Herne, knight,
of Heveringland, her executor : file furvived fir Wy-
mond, by whom flic had no iOTuc.

On February 18, king James I. in his gth year,
granted to fir Henry Gary, in confideration of 1500!.
the manor of Snettifham, parcel of the dutchy of
Lancafter, with all its rights, members, &c. to be
held in foccage of the manor of Eaft-Greenwich, in
Kent, by fealty, with all lands overflown, and reco-
vered from the fca, abutting on the faid manor.

Nicolas Styleman, efq. died feifed of it in 1746,
and his fon and heir, Nicolas Styleman, efq. is the
prefent lord.

Here were feveral other manors in this town be-
longing to this fee of the Albiny's, and held of them.

The late Mr. Styleman married Armine, the daugh-
ter of fir Nicholas L'Eftrange, bart. of Hunftanton,
by Anne, daughter of fir Thomas Wodehoufe, of
Kimberley, near Wymondkam. Her brothers, fir

Thomas



S M I T H D O N. 91

Thomas and fir Henry L'Eflvange, dying without if-
- fue, on the death of the latter fhe fuccecded to the
family feat and eflate at Hunftanton, and on her de-
ceafe it came to her fon, the prefent Nicolas Style-
man, efq. and to fir Edward Aflley, bart. reprelen-
tative of this county in parliament, as joint heirs to
fir Henry L'Eitrange, in right of their refpeclive mo-
thers, the late fir Jacob Aftley, father of fir Edward,
marrying Lucy, the voungeft daughter of fir Nicho-
las L'Eftrange, and filter to Mrs. Styleman.

The prefent Nicolas Styleman, efq. married Ca-
therine, eldeft daughter of Henry Holt Henley, efq.
of Leigh in Dorfetfhire, (member of parliament for
the borough of Lyme-Regis, and nearly related to
the late lord chancellor Henlcv, carl of Northington)
and fificr to the late Henry Cornifh Henley, efq. of
Sanrlringham, who died in 1774, high fherifr. ol the
countv of Dorfet, leaving one fon and a daughter,
by Sufan, daughter and hcirefs of James Hofle, clq.
of Sandringham, by Maria, niece to fir Robert Wai-
pole, firfl earl of Orford.

Mrs. Styleman having a great taft.e in planting,
has laid out and railed many beautiful plantations,
and exceedingly adorned the face of the country
around Snettifham. At Newbridge, a plantation of
hers, fo called from a bridge over the Ingol, the ri-
vulet that runs through and waters the plantation, is
a cafcade and grotto ; the latter much admired for
the beauty and variety of the fliclls, as well as the
elegance of the arrangement. In the middle of the
plantation, and by the fide of the river, is an octagon
building, in which is a tea-room with an organ.
The river, which flows in a ierpentine courfe, is co-
vered with fwans, (hell-ducks, and a variety of fo-
reign fowl, and the menagerie abounds with peacocks,
Guinea hens, and other curious birds. Oppofitc to
M 2 this



g 2 HUNDREDOF

this is another plantation, called Kate's Ifland ; the
river Ingol pervades this alfo, and, running through



Online LibraryAnna Riggs MillerHistory and antiquities of the county of Norfolk (Volume 9) → online text (page 6 of 31)