Anthony Zurbonsen.

Clerical bead roll of the Diocese of Alton, Ill. online

. (page 18 of 19)
Online LibraryAnthony ZurbonsenClerical bead roll of the Diocese of Alton, Ill. → online text (page 18 of 19)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Chicago and "Father Gus" as he was
familiarly styled by m any of his
clerical friends moved to that Babel
by the Lake Shore, on Nov. 28, 1889.
Everything went well with new St.
Monica's. The parish was in a fair
way of developing when our dusky
Reverend friend took sick and soon
afterwards died July 9, 1897, a sun-
stroke claimed him. Father Tolton's
remains were brought back to Quincy
and buried in the Priest's lot in St.
Peter's cemetery. He attained the
age of but 43 years having been born
at Brush Creek, Rails county, Mo., on
April 1, 1854. His parents were
Peter Tolton and Martha Chisely,
they moved to Quincy in 1861.

What became of St. Joseph's colored
parish of Quincy after the transfer
of its pastor to Chicago? The shep-
herd being gone and none to replace
him, it died of inanition. Many of the
Catholic negroes moved away, others
returned to the Methodists and Bap-
tists, the church edifice was sold and
serves today as tin-shop. There are
not a half dozen colored Catholics, if
any, left in Quincy, out of a popula-
tion of about 3,000 or more. Sad in-
deed! God speed the day when again
a colored Catholic parish shall be-
come an actuality in Quincy.


"Within thy Savior's Heart,
Place all thy care,
And learn, O weary soul,
Thy Best is there' 1 .

Rev. Francis Trojan was born and
ordained a priest in Europe. He was
a Bohemian by birth and hence his
first appointment was that of assistant
to the pastor of St. John' Nepomuk
church, St. Louis, a Bohemian parish
From St. Louis our deceased priest
came to the Alton Diocese and was

assigned to Paderborn in 1864, Free-
burg 1865-'68, Millstadt 1868-71 and
to Collinsville 1871-79, after which he
was transferred to Lebanon, leaving
the field to his successor, Rev. H.

At Lebanon Father Trojan's life
came to an end in 1881. He was
buried in the parish cemetery of Le-
banon. Defunct is known to have
been a fine musician. R. I. P.

Page One Hundred and_Forty-On


After having been attended as one
flock by Father Lefevre, the future
Bishop of Detroit, from 1833-1837, the
Catholics of Quincy found themselves
divided, the German speaking under
their resident pastor, Rev. A. Brick-
wedde, and the English speaking
under Rev. Irenaeus St. Cyr, residing
at St. Louis and afterwards at St.
Augustine. In 1839 Rev. Hilary
Tucker, a native Missourian, who had
been sent together with Rev. Geo. A.
Hamilton, by Bishop Rosatti to Rome,
there to prepare themselves for the
priesthood, became the resident priest
of the English speaking people of
Quincy. This was his first appoint-
ment since ordination. Soon after his
arrival Father Tucker succeeded in
collecting the sum of $2,000 in cash,
obtaining from Mr. Whitney, a con-
vert, a corner lot for building pur-
poses, erected a church under the

patronage of St. Lawrence, with the
hope of having it ready for divine
services by the feast of the Assump-
tion. Unfortunately the Northern
Cross railroad for the construction of
which many Irish laborers had gath-
ered at Qunicy, became bankrupt and
with it the building of the church.
The same was sold under the hammer
before its completion, but afterwards
secured for the use of the congrega-

Father Hilary Tucker remained in
Quincy for seven yeears, from 1839-
1846, then for some years went to
Chicago and Batavia, and ultimately
he and Father G. A. Hamilton, whose
headquarters were then at Springfield,
both left for the East, joining the
clergy of the Boston diocese. Father
Tucker died at Boston as pastor of
one of that city's parishes and there
he found his last resting place. R. I. P.


"And angel voices
Shall ring in heavenly chant
Upon thine ear".

When Father Turmel was privi-
leged to look back upon a long, well-
spent life as priest in God's vineyard,
he retired from active work to spend
some time in the seclusion of St.
John's Hospital, Springfield, after
which he wended his steps westward
to seek the invigorating climate
among the Colorado Rockies. There
his eventful career came to an end
on January 12, 1910.

Father Turmel assumed charge of
the rectorship of the Shelbyville con-
gregation in 1865, becoming thereby
its first resident pastor. From 1870-
73 he is made rector of the Pana
parish, by which he likewise became
the first resident priest of that place.
Whilst stationed at Pana, he under-
took the extension of the church
building, constructed a room in con-
junction with the church where he
lived and even for short while opened
a school. During the Pana pastorate
he turned his attention to promising
Xokomis, where in 1871, the people

had resolved on building a church
and had the work actually done that
same year. St. Louis, King of France,
became the patron of the mission, no
doubt from the fact that Fatner Julian
Turmel, the pastor of the church was
a native of Brittany, France. As the
people were mostly from Ireland, "a
tempest in a tea-kettle" arose on that
score. The Bishop was repeatedly
petitioned that he take St. Louis off
the Nokomis pedestal and have him
superceded by St. Patrick. Their
singular request, however, was
promptly turned down. In 1874
Father Turmel was transferred to the
parish of Winchester, where in a
quiet, unostentatious manner he con-
tinued his good offices for thirteen
years, till 1887, at the expiration of
which time he petitioned for permis-
sion to retire from pastoral duty,
which request was graciously acceded

It was a pleasure to meet Father
Turmel; his personality was magnetic,
his ways simple and unaffected, hence
a host of friends surrounded him.
R. I. P.

Page One Hundred and Forty- TV


' 'Who this life for Jesus give
Through eternity shall live".

Within the space of few years pro-
saic Calhoun county sustained in
rather rapid succession the loss of
some of her eminent priests. To.
those who were claimed by inexorable
death must be added the name of one

who at all times has proved himself
a valiant champion of the cross, who
was an able and ardent exponent of
the faith, a zealous priest and ripe
scholar; it is the name of Rev. Albert
A. Ulrich, the quondam pastor of St.
Anselm's church. In this country
parish, our subject felt rather handi-
capped from being unable to properly
utilize his accumulated store of
knowledge or to accomplish results
for which he was eminently qualified.
Proof of his abilities and brilliant at-
tainments is couched in the fact that
prior to his advent into our diocese,
Father Ulrich had been for years pro-
fessor of sciences at the Jesuit Col-
lege of Woodstock, where most suc-
cessfully he occupied the chair of
chemistry. In the pulpit he was most
eloquent, hence his superiors had sent
him frequently as missionary into
various eastern cities to conduct mis-
sions and give retreats to large com-
munities of men and women. In this

connection it is pertinent to state that
our deceased priest had for many
years been a member of the Society
of Jesus, which, however, he had left
shortly before joining the clergy force
of Alton. He was of a very sunny
disposition, full of amiability and good
cheer, a splendid conversationalist and
a man of mature judgment. Having
acted for awhile as assistant to the
pastor of Marshall, the Bishop soon
appointed him pastor to Rampsville,
made vacant by the transfer of Rev.
J. A. Duval to Staunton.

Rev. Father Albert A. Ulrich was a
native of Breslau, Germany, born
March 1, 1858. His classical studies
finished, he came to America to enter
the Novitiate of the Jesuit Order at
Woodstock, Maryland, where in due
course of time he was ordained priest
June 26, 1885. He proved himself a
valuable member of the community,
success attending his strenuous ef-
forts in the various fields of labor and
usefulness to which the voice of his
superiors called him. In 1902 Father
Ulrich severed connection with the
Order, came west and was admitted
into the Alton Diocese, where he
worked most zealously for souls for
more than six years, especially as
pastor of Kampsville and the out-
mission Belleview. The latter place
he attended faithfully once a month,
making a drive of 16 miles Sunday
mornings after having said early Mass
at Kampsville. Finally succumbing
to a very painful, lingering disease,
he died well prepared, at St. Anthony's
hospital of St. Louis, Wednesday,
March 24, 1909. The funeral took
place at Kampsville the following
Monday, March 29, at which his suc-
cessor in office, Rev. Father Neveling
was celebrant of the Mass, assisted
by Revs. A. Schockaert. of Grafton,
and Joseph Kopp, of Hardin, whilst
Revs. J. Duval, of Staunton and J. B.
Wand, of Meppen, delivered the Eng-
lish resp. German funeral orations.
R. I. P.

Page One Hundred and Foryt-Three


"In life and death we call on the Star of the
Sea' '.

An intellectual man of great literary
attainments, a known writer of ability,
.whose name had become familiar to
the world of letters and education was
Father Valey. His treatise on "Men-
tal Philosophy" had given him a wide
reputation. He occupied some of the
foremost parishes in Wisconsin,
among them Madison, and built St.
Patrick's church of Milwaukee.

Father Valey was for some years
a missionary priest in Iowa and Cen-
tral Illinois, and amongst other places

he occupied in this state and diocese
were that of Paris in 1862 and Van-
dalia from April 12, 1863-December 3,

When the evening of life had set
in, Father Vahey retired to Elkhorn
Wisconsin. There he peacefully ex-
pired and his remains were buried
there. Whilst defunct was located at
Paris he built a plain frame church
and cottage along the railroad track
and west of the town, too far away
to be comfortable and convenient of
access. R. I. P.


"The precious souls for whom his life was

The souls he sought and 1 warred for night

and day,

Now sheltered in the everlasting arms.
Ah! this his crown exceeding great shall be
Throughout the cycles of eternity."

St. Patrick's of Decatur owes to a
great extent its present flourishing
condition to the disinterested and un-
selfish labors of Rev. Anthony Vogt,
who ruled over that parish from
1857-70. Not minimizing nor de-
tracting from the merits and achieve-
ments of his successors such as
Fathers Hickey, Mackin and espe-
cially the wonderful progress made
under its present pastor, Rev. J.
Murphy, yet it remains true that all
this advancement was built more or
less upon that solid foundation which
was placed there during eleven years
faithful service by deceased. A neo-
presbyster he was sent thither. His
heart was aglow with that divine ar-
dor and holy enthusiasm of a young
priest who counts obstacles and re-
verses as insignificant. Ceaselessly he
planned and worked out the prob-
lems which confronted him. And
success crowned his efforts. The
small church which had been built in
the early days of the existence of
the congregation by Father Cusack,
was soon replaced by a substantial
brick church with residence adjoining.
From St. Patrick's as center, radiated
Father Vogt's activities in many direc-
tions. All surrounding towns and
hamlets experienced his priestly func-

Page One Hundred and Forty-Four

tions and ministrations. He attended
the missions of Shelbyvilje, Macon,
Marrowbone, Moweaqua and Bement,
Ivesdale, Monticello, Cerro-Gordo,
Illiopolis, Buffalo, Blue Mound and
Stonington. In 1870 he was replaced
by Father R. Welsh (who died in
1874.) He was appointed pastor of
Macon, where in 1867, he had erected
a church in honor of St. Stanislaus.
This church was blown down by a
cyclone. Father Vogt went again to
work, this time putting up a brick
church. It was no sooner built than
it too was destroyed by a cyclone.
Without losing courage, however, he
set to work a third time to build a
church in his Macon parish. This
church stands to the present day, al-
though somewhat enlarged, to ac-
commodate the growing members of
the parish by the late Father Maurer.
From Macon he moved to Litchfield
in 1873, where his stay lasted but one
year, till 1874. Ruma was the next
parish. Here deceased was its pastor
for almost 20 years until his transfer
to the Glen Addie Orphanage near
Belleville, some few months previous
to his death, May 25, 1903.

Rev. Anthony Vogt was born
November 29, 1832, at Lohne in Olden-
burg, studied at Notre Dame, Ind.,
St. Thomas, Ky., and Mt. St. Mary's
Cincinnati, and was raised to the
priesthood by Bishop Juncker at
Alton, May 3, 1859. R. I. P.


During the years when priestly fer-
vor animated the action of Rev. S.
Wegener, they were productive of
good results, Collinsville (1867-77),
Paris (1871-73) St. Marie (1873-74)
Beardstown (1876-77,) testify to his
zeal. After his ordination in 1866,
being stationed in East St. Louis, he
attended Collinsville as out-mission
for awhile. It was during this period

that he purchased there a residence
adjoining the church with a large plot
of ground for the sum of $3,000.
Whilst at Paris he built a church at
Charlestovvn, in 1872.

Rev. Sylvester Wegener was born
at Paderborn, April 29, 1833; ordained
to the priesthood, November 22, 1864,
having come to this country in 1856.
He died in Chicago. R. I. P.


"My fate is in Thy hands,
Whatever it may be
Pleasant or painful, bright or dark,
As best may seem to Thee 1 '.

With what diabolical rage and fury
Knownothingism assailed the church,
her institutions and clergy, about the
middle of the last century, is well
known. Its history among the vic-
tims against whom the venemous
darts and false accusations were direc-
ted reached its climax in one who was
hounded until the prison doors closea
behind him, namely, Rev. K o m a n
Weinzaefel. Though entirely ignorant
and innocent of a crime they had ac-
cused him of, nevertheless, this worthy

young priest had to wear the convict's
garb for five years at the Jefferson-
ville, Ind., state prison, until pardoned
by President Polk. He was a priest of
the Vincennes diocese, and as such
was sent to Teutopolis in 1845, where
he performed his duties in most ex-
cellent and praiseworthy manner.
Shortly after his release he entered
the Benedictine Order, celebrated his
Golden Jubilee in 1890, and died a
pious death in 1895.

Rev. Roman Weinzaefel was a
native of Strassburg in Elsace, born
April 15, 1813, and ordained to the
priesthood April 5, 1840. R. I. P.


"How many a tranquil soul has passed away
Fled gladly from fierce pain and pleasures


To the eternal splendor of the day;
And many a troubled heart still calls for
him :

'The Angel Death'."

An informal gathering of Church
trustees and choir members took
place at the St. Boniface rectory on
the evening of November 10, 1887,
occasioned by the pastor's namesday,
Rev. Theodore Bruener. Whilst the
generous host entertained his visitors
he made known to them his future
intentions, namely; that he was to
leave them even that very evening
for the purpose of joining the Fran-
ciscan Order at Teutopolis, at same
time introducing the new pastor to
them, Rev. Michael Weis, who had
arrived in the meantime. Father
Bruener set out that very night for
Teutopolis, assumed the habit of St.

Francis and was henceforth known
as Father Leo, O. F. M.

Father Weis, the seventh pastor of
St. Boniface, was born in Bavaria, in
the town of Nuerbach, June 8, 1838,
the oldest of nine children, seven
boys and two girls. At the age of
thirteen the family came to America,
landing in New York. For the first
five years Mrchael was employed as
a farm hand near New York, when
the family moved to Teutopolis, where
he continued to follow the same oc-
cupation at the same time devoting
all his spare moments to useful study.
After a short time he was engaged
as teacher in the public school of Teu-
topolis and after one year he took a
similar position in St. Mary's Catholic
school of Edwardsville, remaining two
years. Believing himself called to the
sacred ministry, he entered St.

Page One Hundred and Forty-Five

Joseph's College of Teutopolis, where
he pursued his studies for three years
and later entered the Grand Seminary

turned after some time to become
chancellor of the diocese, which posi-
tion he held till January 1, 1880, when

of Montreal. He was ordained to the
priesthood at Alton, April 4, 1868, and
at once assigned to the parish of Van-
dalia, where he labored one year and
seven months. He was next trans-
ferred to Marine and a short time later
to Effingham, where he remained five
years and constructed the present
handsome parish church, St. Antho-
ny's. In 1877 ill health compelled him
to seek relief in California, but he re-

at his own request, he was sent to
Grant Fork, and afterwards to Litch-
field and Springfield, whence on No-
vember 10, 1887, he came to Qiiincy
as pastor of St. Boniface and Dean of
the district, which double position he
very creditably filled until his death,
which occured November 9, 1909. R.
I. P. (Extract from Diamond Jubilee
Souvenir of St. Boniface Congrega-
tion, 1912.)


Page One Hundred and Forty-Six


"O, may God grant that you may be
As noble and as good as he
As gentle and as brave".

A noble and talented young priest
was Rev. Edward Welsh. Alas! he
was called away all too soon. But

three years of priestly life and the
Master summoned him to Himself.
His career, though short, was exem-
plary and edifying. Of a sunny dispo-

sition, kind and forebearing, young
Father Welsh had a host of friends
and admirers. His confreres of the
clergy regarded their young colleague
highly. His earnestness, talents and
unfeigned piety, all combined to make
his career a promising one; hence his
premature loss was a doubly keen one.

Rev. E. Welsh was born at Litch-
field, 111., October 1, 1863, and was the
son of Lawrence Welsh and his wife
Catherine, nee McNamara. After his
preparatory studies he entered St.
Francis Seminary, Milwaukee, but be-
fore his course was half completed,
Bishop Baltes recognizing the quali-
ties of the unusually bright student,
sent him to the American College of
Rome. There, in the Eternal City, he
was elevated to the priesthood on
June 26. 1888. Returning to the United
States, young Father Welsh was as-
signed as assistant to the Cathedral
of Alton, where he worked with great
zeal. There he died on July 11, 1891.
His remains were forwarded to Litch-
field, where they were interred in the
parish cemetery on July 15.

May the soul of dear Father Welsh
rest in God's holy peace.


A native of Ireland, he was or-
dained t All Hallows on June 24,
1864. In 1870 he became the pastor of
St. Patrick's Decatur, where he per-

formed good services during the four
years of incumbency. He died there
in 1874. R. I. P.


' 'It is easy to die
When one's work is done
To pass from the earth
Like a harvest day's sun,
After opening the flowers and ripening the


Round the homes and the scenes where our
Friends remain".

Calhoun County, yea the "Kingdom
of Calhoun," as the long, narrow fer-
tile strip of land is sometimes called,
which lies between the waters of two
of America's foremost rivers, viz:
the imperial and majestic Mississippi,
and beautiful Illinois, extends from
Pike county north down to the con-

fluence of these rivers at Grafton
above Alton south.

Here then in Calhoun county two
venerable, apostolic men have de-
ployed their physical and spiritual
energies for the benefit of their fellow-
men; they have left a lasting impress
not only upon their own parishes of
Brussels and Meppen, nay all Cal-
houn county felt the beneficial influ-
ences which emenated from the un-
selfish lives of these worthy disciples
of Christ, I refer to the Revs. Blasius

Page One Hundred and Forty-Seven

Winterhalter and Francis E. Without,
both of whom departed this life in
close succession a few years ago. Such
staunch, rugged and loyal men as
these, following quietly and cheerfully
in the footprints of their divine Lord

and Master, were building better than
they knew. And if ever a marble shaft
were to be erected as a monument
and token to the heroic deeds of any
of our Diocesan pioneer priests, I
would know of none worthier or more
deserving of such honor than these
two rugged men of Calhoun county,
Revs. Winterhalter and Without, the
former remaining 36 years uninter-
rupted at his post of duty and the
latter 38 years.

May these two grand old men who
forever will be looked up to as bright
and shining models of priestly sacri-
fices and self denials by their surviv-
ing confreres rest in God's holy peace.

Rev. Blasius Winterhalter, a native
of Baden, was born at St. Peter in
the Archdiocese of Freiburg on the

29th day of January, 1833. Having
made a splendid course of classical
studies in his native land, he emigra-
ted at the age of 20 years to America,
landing on our shores June 15th,
1853. Eleven years later, April 17th,
1864, he was elevated to the priest-
hood in the Cathedral church of Cin-
cinnati, Ohio, and was assigned at
once as assistant priest to SS. Peter
and Paul's church of Springfield. One
year our decedent stayed there. His
fidelity and prompt response to duty
together with an earnest effort to
comply with the manifold demands of
his sacred calling, soon gained him
the affection and unqualified confi-
dence of the people, and well was
(heir confidence placed, not only here,
but likewise in the other charges over
which he presided.

His was an adamantine character,
firm and deeply rooted in all his ac-
tions by power of conviction. He
was of that rugged honesty which
never fails to convince. It is but
natural then that he soon forged
ahead, became popular and beloved,
and soon attracted the attention of the
Ordinary upon his fruitful labors with
the results that Father Winterhalter
was transferred to Piopolis, "Belle
Prairie" as it was called in those days
and thence to Columbia. In these
two places he stayed about six years
after which he was appointed to St.
Mary's parish of Brussels, Calhoun

In the latter part of the sixties.
Father Winterhalter made a trip to
the old country. Whilst there he was
successful in inducing a number of
Sisters of the Precious Blood to ac-
company him to his American home
in Belle Prairie in the Alton diocese
and be active as teachers in our paro-
chial schools. Of those who accom-
panied him across the sea were the
Sisters Albertine, (Superioress), Phil-
ippine, Benedicta, Mechtildis and Clo-
tilde, some of whom are still living
in retirement at the Mother House of
O'Fallon, Mo., and Ruma, 111. The
Sisterhood soon grew and expanded
as all Sisterhoods do. Piopolis soon

Page One Hundred and Forly-Eighl

had become too small and insignifi-
cant, hence a change of location was
desired and looked for. Ruma, with
its former Diocesan College, was the
place. Whilst some of the members
of this community settled down at
Ruma, others had crossed the river
into Missouri where they located at
O'Fallon, some 40 miles west of St.
Lotus. Both branches of this same
congregation seem to flourish. They
are doing well in Quincy at St. Mary's,
the only place they retain in the Dio-
cese. (These above mentioned Sis-
ters must not be confounded with
others of the same name who in more
recent years settled at Alton, 111.,
coming thither from Eastern Europe.)

Father Winterhalter's appointment
as pastor of St. Mary's of Brussels in
Calhoun county took place January 19,
1871. Here he rounded out a most ac-
tive life of rarest mold. He proved
himself a peerless man, leading others
with foresight and wisdom, with in-
vincible force of will power and the

strength of robust virtues. He and
his aged confrere, Without, may be
said ot have been two sturdy oaks,
planted and deeply rooted in Cal-
houn's fertile soil.

When he felt his strength waning
and infirmities increasing, he peti-
tioned the Bishop for permission to
resign and retire from active service.
His petition was granted ancr gootl
Father Winterhalter bid farewell to
his parishioners on February 18, 1907.
The whole parish was in mourning
and many a tear was shed over the
good pastor's leave taking. He re-

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 18

Online LibraryAnthony ZurbonsenClerical bead roll of the Diocese of Alton, Ill. → online text (page 18 of 19)