Copyright
Arad Thomas.

Pioneer history of Orleans county, New York. Containing some account of the civil divisions of western New York, with brief biographical notices of early settlers, and of the hardships and privations online

. (page 13 of 32)
Online LibraryArad ThomasPioneer history of Orleans county, New York. Containing some account of the civil divisions of western New York, with brief biographical notices of early settlers, and of the hardships and privations → online text (page 13 of 32)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


After the war he was discharged from the army
and returned to Ulster county, of which he was ap-
pointed Sherift' by the old Council of Appointment,
in Feb. 1819. Soon after the expiration of his office
as Sheriff, he removed to the town of Murray, in Or-
leans county. He was employed about the year 1829,
to re-survey that portion of the 100,000 acre tract ly-
ing mainly in the town of Murray, which belonged to



OF ORLEANS COUNTY. 175

the Pultney estate, part of township number thrtM% a
labor he carefully and faithfully perfonned.

He represented the county of Orleans in the State
Legislature in 1827. He served five years as an As-
sociate Judg(i of the Court of Common Pleas of Or-
leans county. He was Collector of Tolls on the Erie
Canal at Albion in 1835.

Several years befor his death he removed to Albion
to reside, and died there .about Aug. 1, 1840, aged
fifty years.

Judge Cantine was a clear headed man, of sound
judgment, well informed and always sustained
a high reputation for ability wlierever he was known.
He was a warm personal and political friend of Pres-
ident VanBuren.

CAUOLINE }\ ACHILLES,

Daughter of Mr. Joseph Phipps, was born in Rome,
^ew York. She was one in a numerous family of
daughters, wliose earl^' education was superintended
by lier latlier with more than ordinary care at home,
though slie had the advantages of the best private
schools and of the district schools in the vicinity. —
AVhile slie was quite young her father settled in Bar-
ye, and at an earl}' age she was permitted to gratify
the ambition she then manifested and whicli has been
a ruling passion of her life, to become a teacher, by
taking a small district school, at a salary of one dol-
lar per week 'and board around,' as was then cus-
tomary in such schools. The salary, however, was
no object to lier, she v.ished to teach a school, not to
make money. After teaching this school two oi' three
terms, she attended the Gaines ^Vcademy then in the
zenith of its prosperity. Having spent some thne
here she was sent to a ' linishing Ladies School kept
by Mrs. and Miss Nicholas, in Whitesboro, N. Y.

On leaving Whitesboro she determined to engage in



17G PIONEEK HISTORY

teaching permanently and acceiDted a situation to in-
struct as assistant, in a classical school which had
been opened by two ladies in Albion.

Finally an arrangement was made between tlie two
principals and their assistant, under which they trans-
ferred their lease of jn-emises, and all their interests
in the school to Miss Phipps.

She now associated with an elder sister and the
two commenced their labors as teachers on their own
account, in a building then standing on the site of the
present Phipps Union Seminary, in April, 1833,

Acting on a favorite theory with her, that it is bet-
ter to teach boys and girls in separate schools, she di-
vided her scholars accordingly, and after a time she
declined to receive boys as pupils and devoted all
her energies to her school for young ladies.

This j)roved a success. So many pupils had come
in that in Angust of her first year, she had been join-
ed by another and younger sister as teacher, besides
a teacher in music and all found themselves fully
employed.

She thus became convinced a Female Seminary
could be supported in Albion and that she was ca-
pable of superintending it, and encouraged by the
counsel and inliuence of some of the best citizens of
the village, she issued a circular to the j)nblic, an-
nouncing the founding of such an institution of learn-
ing here.

After near a ja^ars trial the new Seminary was
proved to rcKjuire additional buildings, to accommo-
date the large school. Miss Phipps invited some of
tlie most wealthy and influential men of Albion, to
meet and hear her projDOsition to erect a new Semi-
nary Building, which was in substance, that they
should loan to her four thousand dollars, with which,
and funds she could otherwise procure, she would
erect a building and repay the loan to the subscribers



OF ORLEANS COUNTY. 177

in installments, and thus establish permanently the
Seminary she proposed.

Such proceedings were had upon this projjosal that
a i^aper was circulated, and tlie required sum sub-
scribed, with a condition added that the avails of this
loan to be repaid by Miss Phipps, should be used to
found an Academy for boys in Albion. This plan
was eventually carried into effect, and the brick edi-
fice still used as a Seminary, built in the year 183G,
and Pliipps Union Seminary duly incorj)orated in
1840.

Miss Philips was thus instrumental in founding two
incorporated schools in Albion, which have proved of
great public benefit.

Miss Phipps was married to Col. H. L. Achilles, oi
Rochester, N. Y., in February, 1839, and soon after
resigning the care of the Seminary to her younger sis-
ter, she removed to Boston, Mass., where she resided
the succeeding ten years. During this time this
younger sister married, when the Seminary was trans-
ferred to others, less competent to manage its affairs,
in whose hands it lost the large patronage it liad rp-
. (Reived, and was well nigh ruined.

This compelled Mr. and Mrs. Achilles to return to
Albion, in 1849, and resume charge of the Seminary,
or lose a large pecuniary interest they had invested
there.

The tact and energy of Mrs. Achilles, well sustain-
ed b}^ her husband, gave new vigor to the institution,
and soon brought the Seminary back to the higli
standing it had under her former administration.

Tired and worn down by the harrassing cares, anx-
ieties and labor of superintending so large an estab-
lishment and school, so many 3^ears, in 1866 Mrs.
Achilles reluctantly consented to transfer her dearly
cherished Seminary again to strangers.

After three years' trial by these parties however, it

12



17.S PIONKEU HlSiOUV

was tliouglit best that Mrs. Acliilles should again
take charge of Pliipps Union Seminary, whicli she
did, bringing with her to lier duties the skill, experience
and practical ability- which have given her such emi-
nent success as a teacher.

Mrs. Acliilles has devoted the l)est years of her life
to the cause of female education. She has labored in
her chosen vocation, with the zeal and enthusiasm of
genius, and may enjoy her reward in the good she
knows she has done, and in the success with which
she sees her work has been crowned.



CHAPTER XVI.



THE VILLAGE OF ALBIOK.

Pirst Inhabitants — First Business Men — Strife witli Gaines for Court
House — Stratcgj' used by Albion men to get Court House — First
Court House — Second Court House — County Jail — First Hotel —
First Warehouse — Stone Flouring 3Iill — Lawyers — Drs. Xichoson
and "White — First Tanyard— First Blacksmiths— Xame of the Vil-
lage.

^^ "^"^^ Orchard Road intersects this village and
);^^ now forms Main Street, north and sonth, in
j^iS)^ the center of the 2:)lace. It was this road and
the Erie Canal that iixed a village here.

When the canal was commenced Albion was used
'for farms, but by the time the canal became naviga-
ble considerable of a town had sprung u]).

William McCollister cleared the first land on what
is now in the corporation, where the Court House and
Female Seminary stand, and built his log house on
the Seminary lot in 1812. He took up lot thirty-five,
township fifteen, range one, on the east side of Main
street, under article from the Holland Company,
which he sold to William Bradner, who took the deed
from the company of two hundred and sixtj^-six and
one-half acres of the north part, his brother Joel
taking a deed of ninc^j'-two acres on tlie south part,
on the west side of Main street.

Jesse Bum^uis took up by article from the compa-
ny, tlie land from the town line of Gaines on the north,
to near State street on the south. John Holtzbarger,



Online LibraryArad ThomasPioneer history of Orleans county, New York. Containing some account of the civil divisions of western New York, with brief biographical notices of early settlers, and of the hardships and privations → online text (page 13 of 32)