Copyright
Arad Thomas.

Pioneer history of Orleans county, New York. Containing some account of the civil divisions of western New York, with brief biographical notices of early settlers, and of the hardships and privations online

. (page 26 of 32)
Online LibraryArad ThomasPioneer history of Orleans county, New York. Containing some account of the civil divisions of western New York, with brief biographical notices of early settlers, and of the hardships and privations → online text (page 26 of 32)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


church bell between Albion and Lockport for several
years. It was rung a number of times every day to
regulates the hours of labor and rest of the inhabi-
tants.

A town clock was afterwards procured and plact^d
in the steeple of the Methodist Church, to serve in the
place of so much bell ringing. The clock proving a
poor machine was soon given up.

Justus Ingersoll, who had been Ji tanner in Shelby,
moved to Medina in 1826, and built a large brick
building for a tannery west of the creek, near th¬Ђ-
the canal.

This was afterwards convertcnl into a fiouring mill,
and burned December, 1858.

Mr, Ingersoll was justice of the peace, postmaster,'
Indian agent and Judge of the Court of Common
Pleas of the county, and an active man in villaire
affairs.

The first religious society organized in Mediiia wais
the Episcopalian.

**St, John's Church in Medina," filed a ct>rtificat^
24



:>70 I'loxEEU iirsTOKV

of incorporation in the county clerk's office nnder
that name November 12tli, 1827.

Rev. Richard Salmon, missionary-, was then in
charge.

Bishoj) Hobart held the first Episcopal service by a
IMshop in Orleans county, in this church Septem-
ber 7th, 1828.

The coi'porate officers of the church for its first
3ear were Justus IngersoU and Richard Xan Dyke,
Wardens.

Christopher Whaley, Elijah Beech, John B. Elli-
cott, Joseph Nixon, Henry Yerrington, Benjamin W.
Van Dyke, Jonas S. Billings and Hezekiah R. War-
ner, Vestrymen.

Mr. David E. Evans gave the church a piece of
land on which to erect their church edifice, the foun-
dations of which were laid in 1831.

The first religious services were held in this build-
ing, in the basement, on Christmas Eve, 1832.
Josluui M. Rogers w^as the minister.

The house was finished, and consecrated by Bishop
Onderdonk, September 80th. 183G, where it now
stands, on Center street.

The Methodists filed a certificate to incorporate a
society by name of ''The first Methodist Episcopal
Society in Medina," October 1st, 1830.

They filed another certificate altering their name,
among other things, April 7tli, 1834.

They commenced building their house of worship
of stone, in 1833. In raising the roof the timbers
gave way and eleven men fell in the ruins. No one
was killed, some bones were broken.

The basement of this house was finished and iised
in 1834, but it was several years before the whole
house was completed.

This house was taken down and rebuilt in 1850,
and thoroughh' repaired in 1869.



OF OKLEAIVS COUNTY. 371

The Baptists tiled a certiticate to incorporate "The
First Baptist Church and Society in Medina," ]\rar(!h
14th, 1831.

Their first house of worship was a huildin



Online LibraryArad ThomasPioneer history of Orleans county, New York. Containing some account of the civil divisions of western New York, with brief biographical notices of early settlers, and of the hardships and privations → online text (page 26 of 32)