Copyright
Arthur John Jewers.

Wells Cathedral: its monumental inscriptions and heraldry : together with the heraldry of the palace, deanery, and vicar's close : with annotations from wills, registers, etc., and illustrations of arms online

. (page 23 of 29)
Online LibraryArthur John JewersWells Cathedral: its monumental inscriptions and heraldry : together with the heraldry of the palace, deanery, and vicar's close : with annotations from wills, registers, etc., and illustrations of arms → online text (page 23 of 29)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


THE NEW CHURCHYARD.



This ground, which has only recently been used, lies on the east side of the
Cloisters, from which access is gained to it through what was the doorway of
Bishop Stillington's Chapel.

Here lies
awaiting the resurrectioD,
the body of
HERYEY. Arthur Henry Wrothesley Hervey,

5 th son of

Arthur Charles, Bishop of Bath and Wells,

and Patience his wife,

MM



266 WELLS CATHEDRAL.

Captain in the Eifle Brigade,

and for just five years Adjutant of the

24 th Middlesex (Post Office) Volunteers.

A loving dutiful son, an affectionate brother,

a trusty friend, a brave soldier,

a Christian gentleman,

singularly upright, generous, and self denying,

simple and sincere in word and deed,

most thoughtful for others,

and forgetful of himself,

he lived beloved by all who knew him,

and died deeply lamented by his family

and many friends.

Born at Ickworth, Nov. 3, 1851 :

Died at Coombe, Surrey, Aug. 20, 1889.

In memory of his endearing qualities this

stone is placed by his mourning parents.

The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away ;
Blessed be the name of the Lord. Job i. 21.

(White marble slab, with an upright cross at the head, all on a red granite base.

See p. 28.)



PLUMPTEE. Edward Hayes Plumptre, D.D.

Dean of Wells

born August 6 th mdcccxxi, died Feb. 1 st mdcccxci

With Thee is the well of life

And in Thy light shall we see light.



Harriet Theodosia

the beloved wife of E. H. Plumptre, D.D.

Dean of Wells

born April 9 th mdcccxix, died April 3 rd mdccclxxxix.

Jesu Mercy.

(From a monumental slab of red granite. See under the Deanery for the arms
and genealogical particulars.)



BAENARD. Eleanor Barnard

born September 3 rd 1800

died January 31 st 1885

widow of Henry Watson Barnard

Canon of Wells

& Vicar of S* Cuthbert.

Thanks be to God which giveth us the victory
through our Lord Jesus Christ.

(Red granite.)



MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS AND HERALDRY.



267



AYLIFFE.



Edith Gertrude Ayliffe
born January 3, 1872
fell asleep August 8, 1887.
Is it well with the child ? It is well.



M C LEAN.



In loving memory of

Hector M c Lean

of New College Oxford

fourth son of John Donald M c Lean

of Westbrook, Queensland, and Quibaing, Sydney.

Born November 5, 1864 ■ died January 20, 1888.

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

(Red granite, tall cross with imitation runic carving.)



SELWAY.



In loving memory of

Eaguel Selway

who died May 13 th 1887,

aged 67.

Sacrist of this Cathedral 34 years.

(Slightly raised tomb.)



BRANCKER.



Hannah Brancker

Born 20 June 1817

Died 2 July 1889.



OXLEY.



In affectionate remembrance of

Henry Oxley

who died March 23 rd 1888

aged 69 years.



There are also seven graves without any memorial over them.



268 WELLS CATHEDRAL.



THE PALACE.

Over the archway of the gatehouse, on the inside, is a shield carved in wood of
the arms, a plain saltire for the See, impaling Oreyghton, as in the Cathedral.

Over the entrance porch of the Palace itself is a modern shield of Bath Priory :
Az., two keys addorsed the bows interlaced in bend sinister, with a sword in bend
dexter ; imp. Az., a saltire per saltire and quarterly counter-changed or and arg. ;
lines being given for the colours. The same arms are repeated on a shield of the
same age over the fireplace in the hall.

A large stone shield near the foot of the grand staircase has the arms of
Bishop Beckington, the shield being contemporary with him, as are also two shields
of the same size and shape in the crypt, one of which is charged with the rebus
of that Bishop, the flaming beacon with a scroll across the post, the other shield
bearing the ancient arms of the See, viz. : A saltire surmounting a pastoral staff in
pale betw. the two keys on the dexter and the sword on the sinister. This has
been painted, the field blue and the charges all gold.

In the Crypt are also the following : — A shield, boldly cut in wood and now
fixed over the fireplace, has, Az., a saltire surmounting a pastoral staff in pale betw.
on the dexter tivo keys erect and addorsed the bows interlaced, and on the sinister a
sword erect all or ; imp. Qu., a pelican in its piety or ; over the shield a mitre, at
the sides the date 1663. The painting is modern. These are the arms of Bishop
William Pierce, only the field should be az., not gu., according to Papworth's
Ordinary, etc.

In the windows of the Crypt are : Gu., on a bend arg. three trefoils vert, in chief
a martlet arg., Hervey, with the difference of a fourth son ; imp. Arg., three chevs.
gu. betw. as many martlets sa., Singleton. Crest : A leopard pass. sa. bezantee,
gorged with a coronet and chained or, in the dexter paw a trefoil vert. Supporters :
Two leopards sa. bezantee, gorged with coronets and chained or, for Lord and Lady
Arthur C. Hervey. Gu., on a bend arg. three trefoils vert, Hervey. Another
window has the crest of Hervey as above. The remaining three windows have
respectively the modern and incorrect arms of the See, the initials A. C. H., and a
bishop's mitre.

In the east window of the Palace Chapel are three shields and some broken
pieces of old glass fitted together ; the shields are modern, and are : 1, Az., a saltire
or ; 2, The modern and incorrect arms of the See ; 3, The same as the last, imp.
Erm., on a bend eng. betw. two cocks gu. three mullets or pierced of the second, Bishop
Law. These same arms (No. 3) are repeated in a staircase window at the other
side of the house. The arms of Bishop Law in the Chapel were once blown out
across the terrace below, and fell uninjured on the grass.
The following arms are on portraits in the gallery : —

Cardinal Wolsey, Sa., on a cross eng. arg. a lion pass. gu. betw. four leopards'
faces az., on a chief or a rose of the third betw. two Cornish choughs ppr.

Bishop Montagu, Gu., a sword in bend sinister arg. hilt andpomel or betw. two
keys in bend dexter addorsed the bows interlaced, the lower of the second, the upper



MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS AND HERALDRY. 269

of the third, the See of Winchester ; imp. Arg., three fusils conjoined in fess gu.
within a lord, sa., Montagu. Bishop James Montagu was translated from Bath
and Wells to Winchester. He was the fifth son of Sir Edward Montagu and
brother of the first Earl of Manchester ; he died unmarried in 1618. His arms
are on his tomb in Bath Abbey, and carved on the great west doors there.

Bishop Walter Curie, the See of Winchester as above; imp. Vert, a chev.
eng. or. The Bishop was advanced to the See of Winchester in 1632, and his
son Sir Walter Curie was created a Baronet in 1678, but dying without issue that
title became extinct. On the picture the arms look more like Sa., a chev. arg.,
being much discoloured; the above coat is from their monuments at Soberton,
Hants.

Bishop Thomas Godwin, the modern arms of the See ; imp. Or, two lions pass,
sa., on a canton of the last three bezants, Godwin. The picture has the appearance
of having been recently painted or restored, and as a consequence the wrong arms
of the See are given.

It is rather singular that on the portrait of Cardinal Wolsey his family arms only
are painted, while those of Curie and Montagu have the arms of the Diocese of
Winchester, shewing that they were painted after both Bishops had been translated
to the higher See, the garter round the arms leaving no doubt as to this fact.

It must be owned that, though so interesting from many points as an example of
Early Domestic architecture, the Palace is disappointing from an heraldic point,
largely due to the bad usage it has received in past times from the hands of the
spoilers.

In the Library are the arms of Bishop Bagot, viz., Erm., two chevs. az. ; imp.
Arg., on a cross gu. five escallop-shells or, Villiers. This is in the corners of the
ceiling, and carved at the top of some of the bookcases.

In the stonework of an oriel window is cut (Arg.), orCachev. (sa.) three escallop-
shells (of the first), Bishop King. This coat, now nearly obliterated, is cut
impaled by the coat of the See on the exterior stonework of the west window of the
north aisle of Bath Abbey.



THE DEANERY.



This building exhibits less heraldry than might be expected from its size, age,
and from its having been the residence of a long line of Deans, though no doubt
much was swept away during the Puritan ascendancy, when the Deanery was
occupied by Cornelius Burgess, nor was it spared the supposed improvements by
which old houses were so often spoiled in the early part of this nineteenth century.

The arms of the Deanery do not once occur.

Taking the exterior first : on the battlements of the north wall of the yard and
facing the main gateway is a shield bearing the arms of William Wykeham, Bishop
of Winchester, viz., (Arg.), two chevronels (sa.) betiv. three roses (gu.) ; of the rose
in base a trace only remains.

On the right of the main entrance to the house is a large panel with three shields,



270 WELLS CATHEDRAL.

two being charged with the badge of Dean Gunthorpe, a pistolet with the leather
belt for carrying it, the centre shield being charged with the sun, on it a rose.

On the north side of the house there are eight shields on which these badges
are repeated. There is on this side in a piece of new stonework a shield with this
coat, (Arg.), a chev. betw. in chief two mullets pierced and in base an annulet (sa.) ;
Crest, From flames, a demi-phoznix (ppr.) ; the arms of Dean Plumptre's family.

In the interior of the house, on the stone arch over what was the roof of an
oriel window on the south side of the old dining hall, but now forms a doorway of a
passage leading to the drawing room, are two shields, both charged with the
quartered coat on the tomb of Dean Gunthorpe, namely : 1 and 4, A chev. beko.
three hand grenades or guns, all within a lord. eng. ; 2 and 3, A chev. betw. three
lions' heads erased. These two shields are very interesting, and valuable evidence
of the arms of Dean Gunthorpe ; it confirms the remarks made regarding the arms
on his tomb (p. 75), and leaves no doubt that the three guns were his own arms.

In the hall are the following shields : —

i. Quarterly of six : 1, Or, on a pile gu. betw. six fleurs-de-lys az. three lions pass,
gard. in pale of the first, coat of augmentation granted by King Henry VIII. to
Seymour ; 2, Gu., two wings in lure or, Seymour ; 3, Vaire, Beauchamp ; 4, Arg.,
three demi-lions ramp, gu., Fisher ; 5, Per bend arg. and gu., three roses in bend
counterchanged, Mac Williams; 6, Arg., on a bend gu. three leopards' faces or ; on the
centre of the quarterings a martlet sa. for difference — at least that is what it should
be, being the arms of Lord Francis Seymour, Dean of Wells, whose monument has
been mentioned (p. 190), but this has been reversed by the glazier, making the
whole read backwards, besides which it was only painted on the glass, and the
colours are mostly gone ; the fourth quarter is quite gone, and supplied by a piece
of glass with a fancy pattern on it.

ii. Arg., a chev. betw. in chief two mullets pierced, and in base an annulet, allsa.,
Plumptre ; imp. Gu., a lion ramp, regard, or, Maurice. Motto, Sufficit meruisse.
Being the arms of the Very Rev. Edward Hayes Plumptre, M.A., D.D., the late Dean,
impaling those of his wife's family. The Dean was the third son of Edward Hallows
Plumptre, Esq., eldest surviving son of Charles, second son of Septimus, sixth son
of John Plumptre of Nottingham, by his wife Annabella, eldest daughter of Sir
Francis Molyneux, Bart. The Dean married in July 1848 Harriet Theodosia,
youngest daughter of the Rev. Michael Maurice of Notting Hill, London. Mrs.
Plumptre died 3 April 1889. Correctly speaking, there should be a fieur-de-lys
charged with a crescent on the chevron for the proper difference of his father, and
another crescent in chief for his own difference. There is a pedigree of the Dean's
family in Burke's ' Landed Gentry.'

in. Az., two keys in bend sinister and a pastoral staff in bend dexter, all or.
Round it is the motto : Esto quod es. The Priory of Bath bore this coat, only
with a sword in place of the pastoral staff.

This completes the heraldry in the Deanery.



MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS AND HERALDRY. 271



THE VIOAE'S CLOSE.

In what is known as the Vicar's Close we shall find much that is most interest-
ing heraldically.

The Vicar's Close was built by the executors of Bishop Beckington in the
fulfilment of that prelate's will, and consists of dwelling-houses for the priests,
vicars, and vicars-choral ; a common hall over the entrance gateway ; a chapel, with
a library over it ; these, with the exception of minor alterations and restorations,
remain in their original state.

We will first take the common hall, which is reached by a flight of stone stairs
immediately to the left on entering. This hall has been divided, and the main part
has been used as the Library of the Theological College. On the north side of the
room are three windows, two small ones and a large one of four lights. In the
first one is a graceful figure of St. Catherine holding her wheel, in the next window
is the head of a bishop. In the upper part of the large window are two small
figures, a bishop holding a book, and a priest vicar, from his mouth a label on
which is the word " Misere." Below these are four shields : the first is, Vert, a
cross botonne'e arg. ; in the first quarter a scrap of glass has replaced a demi-virgin
and child ; the arms of Glastonbury Abbey, the virgin having been removed doubt-
less as papistical. The next two shields are gone, and supplied by plain coloured
glass. The fourth shield has, Or, a lion ramp. gu. within a lord eng. sa., Pomroy.
The lion is so patched as to be hardly recognised. Round each shield is a circular
ribbon or garter, on which is this legend : " Domino Ric'o Pomroy Ih'us merci p'
me." It is very vexatious that the two central shields in this and the opposite
window should have been broken, and not a trace left by which we can come to any
satisfactory conclusion as to what was there ; if we might hazard a guess, we should
say they were the See, the Deanery, the Corporation of Vicars, and the Priory of Bath.

In stone over the window is a shield carved and painted, Az., a saltire per
saltire and quarterly counter changed or and arg. Turning to the large window on
the opposite side of the room, to the left, close to the window, is a stone shield
charged with the coat just given, but with the addition of the name "Ric'us
Pomeroy," thus : in chief, Ric'us ; on the dexter, Po ; on the sinister, me ; in base,
roy. In this window are also two small figures, namely, St. Peter with the keys and
St. Paul with the sword, and four shields, of which two are gone, and their place
taken by coloured glass. Of the others, one is Pomeroy, as in the other window,
the last of the four is Glastonbury as above, the whole of the first quarter being
replaced by plain green glass to get rid of the virgin and child. These shields have
the same inscription round them with slight variations, thus : " D'no Ric'o Pomroy
mercy orseti p' me." In stone over the window is carved and painted the same
shield as over the window on the north side already mentioned. The only other
coloured glass is a female saint in the further window of this (south) side.

On the stone fireplace are five shields, with a ribbon which passes behind them,
and on which is this inscription ; the asterisks mark the points at which the shields
come over it, or rather interrupt it, being cut in the same stone : "In * tete £CftJ8

fje'at Cu * me Wm IXimW * pomrog (SMtem * &altof 3fy& &me * n;"



272 WELLS CATHEDRAL.

which like the windows breathes a pious desire for the repose of the soul of Richard
Pomroy, who was a considerable benefactor of the vicars and master of the
Cathedral fabric. The shields are painted with these arms : —

L Or, tivo bars az. surmounted by a horse's head erased erm., and in chief three
escallop-shells gu., Clark.

ii. Per f ess gu. and arg., on afess. az., betw. in chief three bucks' heads or, and in
base as many pheons sa., a bishop's mitre of the third, Bishop Beckington.

in. Quarterly : 1 and 4, France, modern ; 2 and 3, England.

iv. Az., a saltireper saltire and quarterly countercharged or and arg., surmounting
a pastoral staff in pah of the second, and betw. on the dexter two keys the boivs inter-
laced, and on the sinister a sword erect, all of the last, for the See.

v. Or, a lion ramp. gu. armed and langued az. within a bord. eng. sa., Pomeroy.

These shields have never been carved ; the more pity, for we should then have
at any rate the outline of what was originally put on them, for there can be little
doubt that the arms now painted on the shields are of much later date.

Now this being the case, it is most desirable, particularly on account of shields
one and four, to ascertain as nearly as possible the date of the painting. In the first
place, from the fact of the arms of Clark being there, we may safely conclude that
the date cannot be earlier than A.D. 1523, in which year John Clark was consecrated
Bishop, and as we shall see presently it was probably the arms of a later member of
that family ; then again, they must have been painted before the close of the reign of
Queen Elizabeth, as the royal arms of the Tudor sovereigns are displayed, the arms
being altered after the accession of James I. Secondly, the character of the painting
itself points to the close of the sixteenth century.

Taking the shields in order : the first shield is usually assigned to Bishop Clark.
Unfortunately, no example of his seal exists, or at any rate, after much inquiry, has
been accessible, but his arms are in a window of the Cathedral already noticed,
which there is no reason to question was put up in his lifetime, and there certainly
is no horse's head in that shield. We know that bishops were fond of differencing
their coat armour from that of their family, but generally with something allusive
to their office, and a horse's head certainly bears no reference to episcopal rank.

On the other hand, Bishop Clark had a relative, Sir Rowland Clark, who was
knighted by Edward, Duke of Somerset, in the camp before Roxburgh in 1547, to
whose knightly rank the horse's head would be a much more appropriate augmentation.
Members of this family were connected with the neighbourhood quite late enough
to account for the knight's arms being painted here in place of, or in mistake for,
the arms of Bishop Clark. Sir Rowland Clark was living in 1565, as shewn by his
being named in the will of his cousin Henry Clarke of Wells (p. 142), and who may
in some way have been a benefactor to the Vicars. At any rate, without very good
cause to the contrary, this seems the most reasonable explanation for this shield,
especially as there appears no reason for the arms of Bishop Clark being put there
when all the evidence points to the painting being executed at a later date.

The next shield in order is that of Bishop Beckington. This shield is most
interesting, as it varies from the examples that exist in coloured glass. Before we
can accept it as setting at rest the question as to the colours of the arms, we must
consider the point as to whether the painter was taking a liberty with the arms to
make them conform to what had then become an acknowledged rule, that metal



MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS AND HERALDRY. 273

must not be placed on metal or colour on colour, or had he before him coloured
examples we do not possess ? If the former, it appears more probable that he would
have made the stags' heads red. On the other hand, we know that the old glass
painters did use a thin coating of red glass where they wanted to place small figures
on it, cutting them out and letting the main glass, either plain or stained yellow,
show through, and which coating is also known to have sometimes cracked and
slipped away ; unquestionable examples of which we can point to, as, for instance
the royal arms in the north aisle. As this last may very well have been the case
in the instances we have of Beckington's arms in glass, we may assume that he bore
the field of his arms, Per f ess gules and argent.

The third shield has the royal arms of Queen Elizabeth correctly painted.

The fourth shield gives us the earliest example we have of the cross saltire formed
of two metals, combined with the keys, sword, and pastoral staff. This shield, when
taken in connection with the seal of the Vicars, helps materially to prove the date at
which these shields were painted, and also that the coat is an unauthorized one. The
seal of the Corporation of Vicars was cut soon after the reconstruction of the whole
Cathedral body by Queen Elizabeth in the twenty-fourth year of her reign, and
displays these arms : A saltire per saltire and quarterly, betw. on the dexter two keys
erect and addorsed, the lows interlaced, and on the sinister a sword point in chief and
surmounting a pastoral staff in pale. The legend round it leaves no doubt about its
being the seal of the Vicars. Here undoubtedly we have the origin and cause of
all subsequent confusion ; the Vicars assume the ensigns of the Bishop, only re-
taining their bi-metal saltire ; then, to make it more simple and save trouble, the
smaller charges are omitted, and we have the Bishops using the arms really be-
longing to the Vicars.

This shield on the chimney-piece of the Common Hall was not put there as the
arms of the See at all, but really to represent those of the Vicars.

The fifth shield bears the arms of Pomeroy. These are the undifferenced arms
of the head of the family of Pomeroy of Berry Pomeroy in Devonshire. Richard
Pomeroy was one of the Canons of the Cathedral, and Master of the fabric, but his
place in the pedigree yet remains to be ascertained for certain. As there is no trace of
any difference on the arms in the glass, he was probably a son of the head of the family.

Taking everything into careful consideration, we may safely conclude that these
shields were painted after the reconstruction in the reign of Elizabeth.

Coming down the stairs and again into the open, the shields on the fronts of the
houses next attract attention.

On the house in the corner to the left are the arms of Henry Parker, the well-
known archseologist of Oxford, who gave a great deal of assistance in the restoration
of the close — viz., Or, three inescutcheons sa., each charged with a pheon of the field-
This shield being coloured and gilt.

Against the chimneys which run up the fronts of the houses are the arms of the
See — viz., A saltire surmounting a pastoral staff, betw. on the dexter two keys addorsed
and on the sinister a sword erect. In one instance, on a house on the west side, and
not many doors up, this coat has been reversed in the course of restoration.

In panels on the fronts of the houses occur successively repeated the following :
Bishop Beckington ; Three sugar loaves and in chief a text % for Hugh Sugar ;

NN



274 WELLS CATHEDRAL.

A fess betw. three swans, wings raised, Richard Swan ; A chev. betw. in chief two
roses and in base a talbot pass., John Pope.

Eichard Symonds, in his ' Diary,' mentions as being in a window of an old honse
at South Petherton these two shields : Arg., a chev. sa. betw. in chief two roses gu.
and in base a talbot pass, of the last ; and Gu., a saltire vaire betiv. four mullets arg.,
Hill ; imp., Arg., a chev. sa. betw. two roses in chief gu. and in base a talbot pass,
of the last. This is evidently the coat which appears in the Close, and supplies the
colours which are there wanting. This coat has not been recorded for Pope, and
its origin would be interesting to ascertain. Did it denote fidelity to the memory
of benefit derived through the foundations of William of Wykeham, to which he
may have been of founder's kin ? On the house in the north-west corner of the
Close are four large fifteenth-century tilting shields ; they are charged thus : —

i. Beckington.

ii. The saltire alone, The Vicars.

in. The saltire, pastoral staff, keys, and sword, The See.

iv. Quarterly: 1 and 4, A chev. betw. three leopards' faces; 2 and 3, On a fess
betw. three leopards' faces as many fieurs-de-lys.

This shield is particularly useful as evidence, the first and fourth coat is the
personal coat of Bishop Stillington, the second and third being that of his family,
and with the help of the glass in the chapel proves that this prelate used a personal
coat, placing a chevron between the leopards' faces instead of the fess and fleur-de-



Online LibraryArthur John JewersWells Cathedral: its monumental inscriptions and heraldry : together with the heraldry of the palace, deanery, and vicar's close : with annotations from wills, registers, etc., and illustrations of arms → online text (page 23 of 29)