Arthur John Jewers.

Wells Cathedral: its monumental inscriptions and heraldry : together with the heraldry of the palace, deanery, and vicar's close : with annotations from wills, registers, etc., and illustrations of arms online

. (page 4 of 29)
Online LibraryArthur John JewersWells Cathedral: its monumental inscriptions and heraldry : together with the heraldry of the palace, deanery, and vicar's close : with annotations from wills, registers, etc., and illustrations of arms → online text (page 4 of 29)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

ford Sanford, born 13 January 1842, married 5 December 1874, died
26 November 1877. Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be
called the children of God.

(Brass below a small window at west end of south aisle.)

•J* In loving memory of Arthur Henry Wriothesley Hervey,
Captain in the Rifle Brigade. His parents and brothers and sisters
have placed this window. He died 20 Aug 84 1889. " Inasmuch as
ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren ye have
done it unto me." — Matt. xxv. 40. •%•

(Brass beneath a window at the west end of the south aisle.)




The Most Noble Frederick William, Marquis of Bristol, Earl of Bristol,^=Hon. Elizabeth Charlotte

and Earl Jermyn, and Baron Hervey, etc. See Peerages ; ' An
Account of the Parish of Ickworth and Family of Hervey ' ; ' Visita-
tions of Suffolk ' ; and other printed works for Pedigree.

Upton, second da. of
Glotworthy, first Lord

Frederick William
Hervey, second
Marquis of Bristol.

Lord George
Hervey, died

Lord William

The Right Rev. Lord Arthur Charles=pPatience, da. of John

Hervey, D.D., Bishop of Bath and
Wells, fourth son, born 20 Aug. 1808;
Rector of Ickworth with Hornings-
heath, Suffolk, 1832—1869 ; Arch-
deacon of Sudbury 1862—1869.

Singleton, Esq., of
Mell, co. Louth, and
Hazeley Hall, Hants,
by Sarah, da. of James
Moore, Esq. ; mar.
30 July 1839.




1. John Frede-=p Emily, da. of Emma, second da. of the=f=2. George Henry^=Mary Wells Cole,

rick Arthur
Hervey, born
11 Nov. 1840 ;
Rector of Shot-
ley, co. Suf-

Thomas Ely
of Shotley ;
mar. March

late William Arkwright,
Esq., of Sutton Scars-
dale, co. Derby ; mar.
13 July 1876 ; died 29
April 1877. First wife.

William Hervey
of The Old Place,
Sleaford, co. Lin-
coln, born 1 7
Feb. 1843.

da. of William
Wells Cole, Esq. ;
mar. 3 July 1879.

Arthur Charles Constantine
Hervey, born Dec. 1886.

Margaret Caroline Hervey,
born 1888.


Douglas George Hervey,
born 3 April 1880.

Gerald Arthur Hervey,
born 24 Oct. 1881.

Geraldine Hervey.
Victoria Hervey.

3. Sydenham Henry Augustus
Hervey, born 20 Dec. 1846 ;
B.A. Trinity College, Cam-
bridge ; Vicar of Wedmore.

4. Constantine Rodney Wil-=pMary Frances, da. of William
liam Hervey, born 6 Dec. I Hanford Flood, Esq., of Flood
1850 ; Major R.A. Hall, co. Kilkenny, and Wool-

las Hall, co. Worcester.

Alice Lucy Patience Hervey, born July 1887.

5. Arthur Henry Wriothesley Hervey, Capt.
Rifle Brigade, born 3 Nov. 1851 ; died 20
Aug. 1889,unmar. ; commemorated by above

6. James Arthur Hervey ^Margaret, da. of Sir
Percy Douglas, Bart.;
mar. 15 July 1886.

born 26 Sep. 1854 :
of Alf reton.


Thomas Percy Arthur Hervey, born July 1887.

Sarah Elizabeth Harriet Hervey,
second wife of William Ayshford
Sandford, Esq., of Nynehead
Court, near Wellington (his first
wife being Ellen, da. of Henry
Seymour, Esq., of Knoyle, co.
Wilts). She died s.p., and com-
memorated by the above brass.

Katherine Patience
Georgiana Hervey,
mar. 9 April 1872
Charles Hoare,Esq.,
third son of Henry
Hoare of Staple-
hurst, Kent.

Patience Mary Hervey, mar.
17 July 1873 Charles Row-
land Palmer-Morewood, Esq.,
of A If re ton Hall, co. Derby,
and Ladbrook Hall, co. War-
wick, of which county he was
High Sheriff in 1882.



Four sons. Three daughters.

Rowland Palmer-Morewood. Clare Palmer-Morewood.



In memory of Joseph Oldham Esq 1

who died at his house at Haydon

near this city on Tuesday the

l 8t August 1809 aged 84 years.

Louisa Mackintosh

ob. October 22 nd 1864


Cathedral Register.
1809 Aug. 9 James Oldham, Esq., bur. in the south aisle.


To the memory of Anne daughter

OLDHAM. of Joseph Oldham Esq r late of

Caynham Court, Salop, she died at

Milton near "Wells y e 27 th of February

1800 aged 17 years


Cathedral Register.
1800 Mar. 5 Anne dau. of James Oldham, Esq., bur.

Here resteth the Body of
WEBB. M r Thomas Webb, Vicar Choral

of this church who died Feb. 27, 17^|

aged 62.

Eleanor the wife

and Relict of the said M r Thomas

Webb died Jan. 1, 1727

aged 78.










Cathedral Register.
Elizabeth dau. of Thomas Webb and Elizabeth his w.
Elizabeth dau. of M r . Thomas Webb and Elizabeth his w.
Henry Vagg Salmon s. of Samuel and Jane Mary Anne Webb,
born 22 March 1803, priv. bap., and received 11 Ap.


1713 April 5 Henry Gapper, clerk, and M rs Mary Webb, of the Liberty. Lie.

1715 Mar. 2 M r Thomas Webb, vicar choral.
1802 Nov. 21 George Webb. In Palm churchyard.

REYNEL. Maria Teresia Reynel

died July 10 th 1805
aged 80.

(Note. — M rs Reynolds buried in the south aisle 17 July 1805, aged 65.
Cathedral Register. Query, which is correct, the register or the stone ? They must
both refer to the same person.)

MOSS. John Moss

died ....

aged . .

(Small oval on the floor.)


Cathedral Register.

1722 Oct. 24 Ann dau. of M r John Moss, born 21 Oct., priv. bap., and ad-
mitted into the church Nov. following.

1725 Oct. 21 Mary dau. of M r Johu Moss, born 16 Oct., and having been
priv. bap., was received into the church 11 Nov. following.


1716 April 12 John Moss, of Wells, gent., and M rs Frances Hughes, of this

Liberty, spinster. By Licence.
1720 John Moss, of Wells, gent., and M rs Joan Baron, of Milton in

S* Cuthbert's parish. (The date is gone, but" it comes

between 14 th and 27 th of Dec. 1720.)

The wife of the above John Moss was a daughter of Matthew Baron the elder,
of Milton in the parish of SP Cuthbert, and he is mentioned in a codicil to the
will of his father-in-law, dated 13 Nov. 1729, by which he was to have £500.
Administration of the effects of John Baron Moss of Wells out parish was granted
in the Dean's Court in 1779. On 24 March 1726 the Register of S* Cuthbert
records the burial of Mary dau. of M r John Moss.

M r John Mose, vicar.
Sarah Moss dau. of the sub- dean.
The Rev. M r Charles Moss.

The Rev. M r Precentor Moss, aged 69. In south aisle.
John Moss, Esq., aged 27. In south aisle.
















MOSS. Mary Moss

Relict of

Charles Moss

Prebendary & Canon

of this

Cathedral church

died December 8

1825 aged 76

(Small oval on floor.)

MOSS. Charles Moss


of this

Cathedral church

died October 1801

aged 84 years.

Sarah Moss

died June 1796

aged . .

(Small oval on floor.)


MOSS. Charles Moss

Prebendary and
Canon of this
Cathedral church
died May 31, 18(00 ?)

aged 68
(Small oval on floor.)

WATSON. Here resteth Robert Watson

Master of Arts

Canon Residentiary of

this church

died the 5 th day of December 1790

in the . . year of his age.


WATSON. Ann Watson, died April . .

1710 aged 32 years.

FREEMAN. Philippa Freeman wife

of Thomas Freeman, A.M.

& Priest Vicar of this

Cathedral, died the 7 th of Feb.

1760, aged 35.


1692 Jan. 13 M r Robert Freeman, an exciseman, bur. St. Cuthbert's Parish

1760 Feb. 9 Philippa wife of the Rev. Thomas Freeman, bur. Cathedral


JOHNSON. M r Edward Johnson

Vicar and Prebendary

of this church

November 5


M rs Barbara Johnson

his wife

February 16


The Cathedral Register records their burial as :
1732 Feb. 19 Barbara w. of the Rev. M r Johnson.
1736 Nov. 9 The Rev. M r Johnson, prebendary and vicar.


St. Cuthbert Parish Eegister.

1653 Sep. 30 Charles s. of M r Thomas Johnson and Elizabeth his w., of High

Street, bap.
1682 Nov. 23 M r Johnson's maid, bur.

Lyeth the body
EVANS. of M r William Evans

Late Organist of this Church

Who died Sep. 22 nd 1740

aged 47.


Cathedral Register.
1686 Dec. 25 John s. of M r Tristram Evans.
1688 Feb. 26 Orange s. of M r Tristram Evans and Katherine his w.
1691 Sep. 1 Susannah dau. of M r Tristram Evans and Katherine his w.

1706 Feb. 5 Thomas Evans, of West Quantoxhead, and Elizabeth Briant, of

Cannington, widow.
1712 Dec. 27 M r Tristram Evans, of Close Hall, in the Liberty of St. Andrew,

and Mary Brown, of the same.


1683 Nov. 13 My William Evans.

1684 Dec. 27 Catherine dau. of M r Tristram Evans and Catherine his w.
1688 Oct. 12 John s. of M r Tristram Evans.

1706 Dec. 5 Catherine^, of M r Tristram Evans.

1733 Feb. 3 M r Evans, M one of y e Proctors of this cort."

1740 Sep. 24 M r William Evans, vicar and organist.

St. Cuthbert Parish Eegister.
1699 Mar. 10 James s. of M r Tristram Evans, born March 4.
1701 Sep. 17 Elizabeth dau. of M r William Evans and Mary his wife, born

Aug. 26.
1704 Nov. 30 William s. of M r William Evans, of Chamberlain Street, born
Nov. 24.

1731 April 19 Thomas Evans and Hester Vigors, both of this parish.

1651 Mar. 10 Joseph s. of M r William Evans and Mary his W., of Burcot.
1653 June 29 M rs Mary Evans, widow, of Burcot, a " Catholique."




1700 April 22 Margaret w. of M r William Evans.

1715 Mar. 27 M r William Evans, one of the sixteen men.

A large slab with a long cross, the ends terminating in fleur-de-lis, cut on it.

COOPER. Cooper

(Floorslab, the rest gone.)

Cathedral Register.
1791 April 7 Miss Sarah Cooper, bur.
1812 July 26 Miss Angelica Cooper, bur. in south aisle.


Geraldina Eugenia Wallace

youngest daughter of the late

John Wallace, F.R.S.

Member of the Board of Revenue

at Madras

Born the 17 th January 1811

Died the 24 th May 1820.


* ******

Here lyeth the Body
HEBDEN. of Richard Hebden

gent, second sonne of

^ John Hebden knight

who dyed the 22 day

of January in the yeare

of our Lord God 1668

(Floorslab, with ornamental bordure. See mural monument in the cloisters.
The Cathedral Register records his burial : 1668 Jan. 28 M r John Hebden, Esq.)


Here resteth the Body
WYKES. of Edward Wykes Esquir

late Recorder of this city

who deceased the eight

day of August at the age

of fifty fowre years

Anuo Domini 1644.

(Floorslab. On this stone is the matrix from which a square brass plate has
been taken. The Cathedral Register records the burial on 8 Aug. 1666 of " Jane
Wykes, widow of M r Edward Wykes.")

He was the son of Nicholas Wykes of Wells, by Isabella dau. of Anthony
Godwyn of Wookey ; and mar. Jane dau. of Gilbert Bourne of Wells, by Eleanor
dau. of Thomas Smith of Mitcham, Surrey ; and had issue Edward, Philippa, and
Elizabeth, according to the Visitation of Somerset 1623. But in his will, dated
14 June 17 K. Ch., prov. 29 May 1647 (P.C.C., Fines 93), he names one son,
William Wykes, and daus. Jane, Alice, Silvester (mar. Geo. Huntley of Boxwell,
co. Glouc, Esq. ; he d. 11 July 1670 ; she d. 25 Feb. 1675), and Sarah. Names
friends, D r Godwyne of Brightwell, Berks, John Bourne of Gothelney, and John
Bourne of Durleigh, trustees after death of wife Jane.


Hie jacet corpus Gulielmi Wykes generosi

qui obiit vicesimo octavo die

Decembris Anno Domini 1658.

(Arms, (arg.) a chev. (gu.) oetw. three crosses moline (sa.), Wykes. In the Visitation
of 1623 these crosses are called "fleurie." This William Wykes is not named in
the Visitation pedigree. The above is round the edge of the stone, while the shield
and the following inscription are in the centre. The connection between the two
families, if any, does not appear.)


Grace the wife of M r Richard Cupper of

this city (apothecary) died Dec. 22

1726 aged 51.

Here also lieth the Body of the above said M r

Richard Cupper who died Jan. 21, 1739

aged 72.



Cathedral Register.

1708 Aug. 18 Catherine dau. of Thomas Cupper and Sarah his w.

1709 Jan. 25 Sarah dau. of Thomas Cupper and Sarah his w.

1726 April 14 William Cupper, of East Pennard, yeoman, and Mary King-
ston, sp. Lie.

17f£ Jan. 24 M r Richard Cupper.

St. Cuthbert Parish Register.
1681 April 4 M r Richard Cupper, of St. Cuthbert's, and Eleanor Carleile, of

the Liberty of St. Andrew.
1707 May 2 M r Richard Cupper, bur.


There are no floorslabs in this transept.

A fine recumbent effigy under an enriched arch, with well-cut heads at each
end, one with beard the other without, and at the back three figures of a bishop
between two angels, the heads and hands gone, inscribed " Willelmus de Marchia
Ep'c: Bathon : et Wellen's : A: D: mcccii." The arms of Bishop William de
Marchia were, Vert, two lions pass, or, according to Papworth, but there is no trace
of them on the tomb ; there are remains of gilding and colouring. Along the front
by the edge of the table are six heads, alternately cleric and lay.

Adjoining the last is the canopied tomb of Johanna, Viscountess Lisle, for
whose descent see post. The stonework is painted, but nothing remains to identify
the monument but a brass plate with the following inscription :


"fife jaeetJToamta FteeeomttfeBa Be fUsle, una ftltarum

et jjaereBum &f)omae (KtjeBBer, armiger; quae futt uxor

JToanmB Fteeeomttts Be Ht»le, filft et fjaereBts JToanttta

<£omttt8 j&atojnae, et J&argaretae \xx' ejus, untus

ftltarum et ^aereBum ftiearBt Comttts ©Bartotet,

et (JHtjauetfjae ujcorts ejus, Sitae et fjaereUts STfjom

Be Berfceleg, nulftta Bommt Be ISerueleg; ouae

outtt xb™ Bte mettBts JTuItt, &roV *' 48e©C<£?LXHHF:'

(See Pedigree, post.)

In a window above this monument are two shields now coated and black, only
traceable from below by the leading. They are, Gu., three lions pass. gard. or, within
a lord, arg., and the same imp. quarterly, 1 and 4, Gu., a lion ramp, or, Fitz Alan ;
2 and 3, Cheaueg or and az., Warren.



For Thomas Holland, Earl of Kent, who being the half-brother of King Richard
II. was authorized to use the royal arms within a bordure argent, in place of his
own (Az., a lion ramp. gard. within an orle of fleur-de-lis arg.) ; he married Alice dau.
of Richard Fitz Alan, Earl of Arundell. The pedigree appended to the account of
the armorial tiles gives the descent.

Opening from the east side of this transept is the Chapel of St. Martin (now
the Canons' Vestry), with the recumbent effigy of John Storthwait, Precentor 1426,
and Chancellor in 1439. On the floor is the following :


Hie jacet Joh's Grene coda

Canonic huis eccl' qui obiit

die m s Janua a d'ni M°cccc m0 .

From this transept we pass into the cloisters, and will take the monuments there
in succession, after completing the interior of the Cathedral ; we therefore return
and enter the aisle on the south side of the Choir, where immediately on the right
is the Chapel of St. Calixtus.


Chapel of St. Calixtus.

HUSSE. In this chapel is the alabaster monument of Henry Husse, Dean of
Wells 1302—1305.

On the front of the tomb are four shields, with one at the west end ; these
were originally painted with the arms, as doubtless was another shield at the east
end, now gone ; the colours are gone, but sufficient stain remains on all, except the
one at the west end, to indicate the charges that were on them, viz., Or, fretty and a
chief gu.

Now this fretty coat is not that of Hussee or Hussey, a very ancient family in
Somerset and Dorset, who bore two coats, viz., Or, a cross vert, and, Barry of six erm.
and gu., but it points conclusively to the Dean's parentage, for we find that William
Husee who was living in 1314 (7 Edw. II.) married Margery one of the daughters
and coheirs of Theobald, Lord Verdon (by his first wife Maud, daughter of Edmund


Mortimer and sister of the first Earl of March), who bore, Or, afretgu.; sometimes
given as fretty, thus paying a compliment to his mother, whose family was a noble
one, the rules for quartering being not at that period fixed.

BECKINGTON. In this chapel are also the remains of a chantry chapel called
Bishop Beckington's, but strange to say there is no trace of his arms
or rebus about the remnants, though they so often appear on the archways, cloisters,
etc., which owe their existence to him. There are two small shields held by angels,
in the front of the canopy, but they are both charged with the sacred heart, hands,
and feet, bearing the five wounds.

In the upper part of the window in this chapel, in very old glass, is a shield,
Gu., four fusils conjoined in f ess arg., Daubeney.

DAUBENEY. The ancient family of de Albini or Daubeney held among
other lands the manor of South Petherton in Somersetshire temp.
K. Henry I., which they continued to hold for several generations ; indeed the family
has kept up its connection with this county to the present time. The date of the glass
is probably the first half of the fifteenth century, and represents William Daubeney,
Esq., of South Petherton, born 14 June 1424, died 2 Jan. 1460-1 (Esc. June 1461,
1 Edw. IV., No. 58), having married Alice, dau. and coh. of John Stourton of
Preston, and was father of Giles, Lord Daubeney, who died in London 28 May
1508, and was buried in Westminster Abbey. He was Constable of Bristol, Master
of the Mint, a Knight of the Garter, Governor of Calais, and Lord Chamberlain of
the Household ; and left by his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John Arundell of
Lanherne, Henry Daubeney, created Earl of Bridgewater, who married twice but
died s.p. 8 April 1548 ; Cecily, married to John Bourchier, Earl of Bath ; and Amie,
married Alexander Buller of Lillisdon, Somerset, Esq.

BUTTON Leaving this chapel and coming into the aisle on the south side of
the choir, we find the recumbent effigy of a bishop ; also a raised
tomb with the figure of a bishop incised on the top, close to which is inscribed
" Willemus: De : Button Secon'd Epc' Bathon et Wellen's


BEKYNTON. Beyond the last is the recumbent effigy of a bishop without any
name or arms. A few steps farther east is the tomb of Thomas de
Bekynton, who died 14 Jan. 1464 ; it is enclosed by iron rails, and contains
two stories ; on the top is the Bishop in full canonicals, and below his emaciated
corpse, but no arms. The tomb is inscribed " Thomas of Beckinton Ep'us Bathon'
et Wellen's, Anno D'ni m.o.c.c.c.lxiv."

The arms of Bishop Beckington which occur so often are (arg.) on afess az.,
belw. in chief three bucks' heads caboshed (gu.) and in base as many pheons (sa.), a
bishop's mitre (or). His rebus or badge, which is also carved in many places, is a fire
beacon lighted, the part to hold the fire being in the form of a tun or barrel. In
one of the windows of the south choir aisle his arms are given thus : Arg., on a fess
az., betw. in chief three bucks' 1 heads caboshed or, and in base as many pheons sa., a
bishop's mitre, the ribbons extejuled, of the third. The same coat occurs in a window



in Cheddar Church, with this difference, in the latter the fess is charged with a
Jleur-de-lys betiv. two lozenges gu. Both these coats are heraldically wrong in
placing metal on metal and colour on colour. Burke in his ' General Armory ' gives
the first coat, making the heads gules. Papworth's Ordinary, on the authority of
Glover's Ordinary, gives for Bekington the first of the above coats, making the
bucks' heads az., and substituting an annulet or for the mitre, apparently for a
brother of the Bishop. In Pole's ' Devonshire Collections ' the coat occurs with the
mitre, but no tinctures, as in the cloisters and elsewhere, and the same is also cut in
the stonework of the chapel of Wickham's School at Winchester. The shield at
Cheddar is interesting as giving an example of an unrecorded difference of the
arms. The origin of the coat is plainly suggested by two shields cut in the roof
of the cloisters, in the account of the heraldry of which, they are mentioned.

HAREWELL. Still farther east is the alabaster effigy of Bishop John Harewell,
who died in July 1386. He chiefly contributed to building the South-
West Tower, in which he hung two bells, and glazed the Great West Window. He
has at his feet two hares, as a rebus on his name. There are no arms on the monu-
ment, but an old Worcestershire family — whose pedigree (Harl. MS. 1566) com-
mences with a John Harewell who had two sons, John living in 7 K. Henry V.
(1419-20) and William who married and left issue — bore for arms, Arg., on a fess
nebulee sa. three hares'' heads couped (sometimes erased) of the first. Crest, a hare's
head erased or.

On the north and south sides of the tower of Litton Church is carved a large
shield, held by an angel, charged with Per fess nebulee, in chief three hares' 1 Mads
couped. There can be no doubt that this is the coat of Bishop Harewell. On
1 Oct. 1366 Richard Harewell was installed a Canon of Wells and Prebend of


Ill one ©f the windows of this aisle are the following shields of arms : —

(First.) The arms of King James I. impaling those of his Queen, Anne, daugh-
ter of Frederick II., King of Denmark, viz., quarterly, 1 and 4 quarterly France and
England, 2 Scotland, 3 Ireland, imp. quarterly, 1, Or, seme'e of hearts gu., three lions
pass. az. croivned gold, Denmark ; 2 Gu., a lion ramp, crowned or, holding an axe arg.,
Norway ; 3 Az., three coronets or., Sweden or Scandinavia ; 4, Or, a lion pass. az. over
nine hearts gu.ftve and four. Over all dividing the quarterings, the Cross of Dan-
neborg, viz., a cross arg. edged gu. On the centre an escutcheon of pretence quar-
terly, 1, Or, two Uojis pass, az., Schleswig. 2, Gu., an escutcheon per f ess arg. and
gu., each point thereof approached ~by a passion nail in triangle, betw. as many nettle
leaves all arg., Schaumberg. 3, Gu., a knight armed or, his scimitar sa., riding
on a horse arg., Dietmarsen. 4, Gu., a horse's head couped at the neck or, Lauen-
berg. In the base of the shield, Gu., a wyvern or, The Vandels. A portion of
this shield appears in another part of the window, as also the arms of King James
I. without those of his Queen occur in a mutilated state, with supporters, so that it
is highly probable there were originally three shields, with the arms of the King
and Queen each separately and also impaled together. The arms of this Queen
generally have a second inescutcheon on top of the first, namely, Per pale, 1 st , Or,
two bars gu., Oldenburg ; 2 nd Az., a cross fitchee at the foot arg., Delmanhorst.

(Second.) Quarterly of four grand quarters, I. quarterly, 1 and 4 France
modern, 2 and 3 England. II. Scotland. III. Ireland. IV. gone, but was the
same as No. I. Supporters, dexter, a lion ramp. gard. crowned or ; sinister, a unicorn
ramp. arg. gorged with a coronet, ivith a chain rejlexed over the back or, horned
and unguled of the last. Crest, The lion of England. Motto, " Beati pacifici."

(Third.) Az., a saltire surmounting a pastoral staff in pale or, betw. on the dexter
two kegs erect and addcrsed, the boivs interlaced, one of the second, the other arg., on the
sinister a sword erect of the last, hilt and pomel gold. The ancient coat of the
Bishopric of Bath and Wells.

(Fourth.) The same as the last omitting the pastoral staff. The united chap-
ters of Bath and Wells, or the Deanery of Wells. Having now for the first time
described an early example of the arms of the See, which cannot have been in any
way altered, it will be appropriate to consider, from the evidences we possess, what
are really the right arms of the Bishopric of Bath and Wells. The earliest exam-
ples of the arms of the Bishopric we have are a shield in the library over the east
cloister, built by Bishop Bubwith, and undoubtedly contemporary with him ; the
shield in the chantry chapel of that Bishop, the shields in the window just men-
tioned, a large stone shield in the Palace, and the Vicar's Close, all dating from the
fifteenth century. The shield in the library has unfortunately been broken, the

Online LibraryArthur John JewersWells Cathedral: its monumental inscriptions and heraldry : together with the heraldry of the palace, deanery, and vicar's close : with annotations from wills, registers, etc., and illustrations of arms → online text (page 4 of 29)