Arthur John Jewers.

Wells Cathedral: its monumental inscriptions and heraldry : together with the heraldry of the palace, deanery, and vicar's close : with annotations from wills, registers, etc., and illustrations of arms online

. (page 5 of 29)
Online LibraryArthur John JewersWells Cathedral: its monumental inscriptions and heraldry : together with the heraldry of the palace, deanery, and vicar's close : with annotations from wills, registers, etc., and illustrations of arms → online text (page 5 of 29)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

part containing the pastoral staff being gone, and supplied by pieces of glass, one
red above and one blue below. On Bubwith's tomb the arms for the See are as the
third shield in the window above ; and the charges are on the shield in the Palace,
as also in the Vicar's Close, where it occurs frequently alone, and once impaling
Beckington. It must be specially noted that in all the early glass, the saltire is
plain gold. The same arms for the See, namely, the saltire with the keys, sword, and
pastoral staff, are on the lectern given by Bishop Creyghton, on that Bishop's
tomb, on a boldly carved shield of the arms of Bishop Pierce in the Palace Crypt,
as also on the monument of Bishop Hooper. This evidence must be admitted to


be fairly conclusive as to what were the ancient arms of this Diocese ; yet it will
be well to glance briefly at the origin of the double title, that we may trace the
origiu of this coat, and fully understand its historical interest and representative
character, which leaves no doubt of the propriety of its retention. The origin of
the modern coat will be shewn when treating of the Vicar's Common Hall.

In early Saxon days a Collegiate Church was established here, which was
eventually made the head of the Somerset Bishopric, the church being dedicated
to St. Andrew, and this continued until the time of Bishop John of Tours,
consecrated in 1088, who obtained a charter from K. William II., dated 27 Jan.
1090-1, confirming to him the said John, heretofore Bishop of Wells, the Abbey of
Bath, that he may establish there the seat of the Somersetshire Bishopric ; in 1091
the same King gives to God, St. Peter in Bath, and John the Bishop, the city of
Bath and its revenues, in order that the Bishop's seat may be in that city ; and on
the 5 April 1092 we "find the same John Bishop of Bath assisting at the consecration
of Salisbury Cathedral. Again a charter of K. Henry I., dated 3 Sept. 1101, confirms
the gift of the city of Bath made by William II., and appointing that Bath shall
henceforth be the head of the See of Somerset. The single title of Bath is con-
tinued until the episcopate of Saverie (or Savery), who, having dispossessed the Abbot
of Glastonbury, added Glastonbury to his style, which was also used by Jocelyn
until that Bishop restored the Abbey with most of its possessions to Glastonbury,
when he returned to the title of Bath alone. Jocelyn then applied to the Pope (Hono-
rius III.) for permission to use the double title of Bath and Wells, which application
the Pope referred to his legate Pandulph. Nevertheless we find Jocelyn invariably
styled Bishop of Bath only up to his death, when Innocent IV. confirmed the elec-
tion by the monks of Bath of Roger, Precentor of Salisbury. The Pope having
had the disputes and claims of the chapters of Bath and Wells for supremacy re-
peatedly before him, by decree dated from Lyons 3 Jan. 1244-5, decided that the
election should be by both chapters equally, to be celebrated alternately at Bath and
Wells, that each church should be a Cathedral church, and that the style of the
Bishop should be ' of Bath and Wells', and that the double title shall be engraved
on his seal. Nevertheless it would seem that Bishop Roger having been elected by
the monks of Bath apparently in opposition to the Canons of Wells, was unwilling
to add Wells to his title, his neglect of which having been notified at Rome by the
Dean and Chapter, the Pope sent the Bishop a letter dated 14 May 1245 peremp-
torily commanding him to use the double title and to place it on his seal. From
that time it has so continued. We see by this evidence that after first Wells and
then Bath having been the seat of the episcopal dignity, both places were made
jointly and equally Cathedral, under one Bishop.

Now let us consider the armorial question ; the arms of the Abbey, or Priory
of Bath, for at different times it held both positions, were az. two keys addorsed the
bows interlaced, the upper or, the lower arg., and a sword of the last, hilt and pomel of
the second, in lend dexter surmounting the lower and passing below the upper key.
These ensigns were naturally adopted by the monks of Bath, displaying as they do
the keys of St. Peter with the sword of St. Paul, the patron saints of their house.
At the same time the chapter of Wells gave az. a saltire or, being the instrument
of martyrdom of St. Andrew, to whom their church was dedicated. By the papal
decree of 1244-5 the double title being firmly settled, it became necessary to repre-



sent the two electoral bodies as a matter of course, for at a time when armorial
bearings were of such real importance, neither body would have been willing to go
without heraldic representation, and this was readily done by placing the saltire of
Wells between the keys and sword of Bath, while the pastoral staff in the centre
fitly signified the union of the two flocks under one shepherd. Thus it will be seen
how beautifully the old coat of the See represented the office of the Bishop of Bath
and Wells ; at the same time simple yet complete. It is true that at the Reform-
ation the Priory being suppressed, has left the reconstituted Chapter of Wells alone
surviving, still the double title of the Bishop remains ; while the historic interest
of the ancient coat must far exceed that of the modern coat, with its saltire of two
metals, for which there appears to be no reason or object, and which was probably
originally derived from its being the arms of the Corporation of Vicars Choral, as
pointed out under the account of their Common Hall. The only examples of the
modern coat before the present century are the brass of Bishop Lake, 1626, a very
poor affair, which has the saltire divided by lines, as no colours are indicated ; these
may only be intended to give the idea of the saltire being raised. The remaining
example is the monument of Bishop Still, but as the charges on the shields are not
in relief, and the whole has been repainted in the present century, it is of no value
for evidence.

On the monument of Bishop Berkley the saltire has no indication of being
divided, and the omission of the pastoral staff, keys and sword, are doubtless the
result of carelessness, the whole tomb being very roughly executed and bare of
ornament. Bishop Creyghton's tomb exhibits both the plain saltire and the coat
of the See, as on the tomb of Bishop Bulwith. Ignorance, with a want of due care
and interest, are the true source to which we can ascribe the modern meaningless
coat. With all this evidence before us there cannot be the least hesitation in saying
that the ancient and correct arms of the See of Bath and Wells are, az. a saltire
surmounting a pastoral staff in pale or, betw. on tlie dexter two keys erect and ad-
dorsed the bows interlaced, the one of the second the other arg., and on the sinister
a sword erect of the last, hilt and pomel gold.

Having gone thus fully into the question of the arms of the Bishopric, it will
naturally follow here to say something about the arms of the Deanery, more espe-
cially on account of the arms in the fourth shield in the window mentioned above.
Strictly speaking, we should expect to find the Dean and Chapter using the simple
coat of the gold saltire, and such was doubtless sometimes the case, as we have an
example of the plain saltire in the roof of the south cloister, and also on the shield
on the seal of Dean Herbert. The tomb of Dean Husee, who died in 1303, has
several shields charged with the fretty coat of his mother the heiress of Yerdun ;
these were only painted on, not cut, and from the faint traces of the colouring, and
the similarity of the form of the lines of the frets and the saltire, it is difficult to say
if in two cases the plain saltire did not impale the fretty coat. The tomb of Thomas
Cornish, Canon and Precentor of Wells, who died in 1415, and that of Dean Gun-
thorpe 1498, are the most direct evidence shewing that the Dean and Chapter did
use the coat with the keys and sword as their arms, probably from their being
joined with^Bath Priory in the election of the Bishop, and as they are now the
representatives of the two Chapters, there appears no reason against their continuing
to use this ancient coat as their proper arms, especially as it is more distinctive, the


arms being, Az. a saltire or, betw. on the dexter tivo keys erect and addorsed, one of t/ie
second, the other arg., and on the sinister a sword erect of the last, hilt and po met of
gold. The addition of the keys and sword distinguishing more decidedly from the
coat of the Corporation of Vicars, which was az. a saltire per saltire and quarterly
counterchanged or and arg., as will be shewn more fully hereafter, and which came
to be used in place of those of the See.

(Fifth.) Arg. an afess az. betw. in chief three stags' heads cabossed or ( ? gu. or
sa., as metal on metal is bad heraldry and against English usage), and in base as
many pheons sa., a bishop's mitre or, bands arg. — the coat of Bishop Beckington.
This coat with others is cut in the stonework of the chapel of Wykeham's School
at Winchester. For notes on the formation of this coat see the heraldry in the
roof of the cloister.

(Sixth.) Quarterly of six, 1. Barry of ten arg. and az. six escutcheons sa., each
charged with a lion ramp, of the first — Cecil. 2. Per pale gu. and az. a tree eradicated
vert, with a lion ramp, against it arg. — Winstone. 3. Sa. a plate betw. three towers
arg. — Carlyon. 4. Arg. on a bend cotised gu. three cinquef oil or. — Eckington. 5.
Arg. a chev. betw. three chessroolcs erms. — Walcot. 6 as the first. Crest gone, motto
Sero sed serio. Supporters two lions ramp. &rm. This is doubtless for Robert Cecil,
first Earl of Salisbury, so created 4 th May 1605, and died 24 May 1612, ancestor of
the present Marquis of Salisbury ; the cause of this coat appearing here being the
fact that the Earl was at one time High Steward of the Dean and Chapter.

(Seventh.) Quarterly, 1 and 4, Arg. a chev. betw. three cross-crosslets sa.
— South worth. 2 and 3, Sa. a chev. betw. three cross-crosslets arg. — Dayes ;
imp. Gu. a bend regulee betw. two cross-crosslets arg. — Pelsent. Under this
shield is the date 1607. This coat is evidently that of Henry Southworth
of Wyke Champflower, living in 1623, who was descended from Sir Gilbert
Southworth of Southworth Hall, co. Lancaster, and his wife Elizabeth, dau.
and h. of Nicholas Dayes of Salmsbury, co. Lane, Esq. He married Elizabeth
dau. of John Pellsant of London, by whom he had two daughters his co-heirs,
Jane married to William Bull of Shapwick, and Margaret married to Arthur Duck,
D.C.L. ; and on the monument of Henry Bull in Shapwick church the arms are
quartered, viz. 1 and 6 — or, three bulls' heads caboshed gu., Bull, 2 Southworth, 3
Dayes; 4 quarterly gu. and arg., in the first and fourth a fret or, — Dutton. (The
great grandfather of Henry Southworth, Sir Christopher Southworth of Southworth,
married Isabel dau. and coh. of Sir Thomas Dutton of Dutton ; vide Visitation
of Chester, Harl. Soc.) 5, gu. a bend embattled betw. two crosses crosslet arg.,
— Pellsant.

An abstract of the will of this Henry Southworth is in the collection of Somer-
setshire wills made by the Rev. F. Brown, and printed as a memorial of him. In
it he styles himself, of Wells, Esq., but rightly citizen and mercer of London ; it is
dated 23 May 1625, and was proved 12 Nov. 1625 by his daughters Margaret, wife
of Arthur Ducke, and Jane, wife of William Bull of Shapwick, Esq. He names
his ' brother Smith ' and ' brother Fellgate,' and desires to be buried near his late
wife at Wyke Champflower. This church is really a chapelry in the parish of
Bruton ; it is very small, consisting of chancel, nave, and north porch, on which is
the date 1623, and is built on to the old manor house, of which manor he was lord.

On the south side of the chancel is a mural monument to his memory, the in-


scription stating that he was Lord of this Manor, and died the 24 May 1625, and
that the monument was erected to his memory by Arthur Duck, D.C.L., and Wil-
liam Bull, Esq. There are four shields of arms, first Southworth and Dayes quar-
terly as above, with a demi-lion for crest ; second, the same arms imp. Pelsent as
in the glass of the Cathedral window ; third, or, on a /esse ivavy sa. three lozenges
arg., Duck ; fourth shield, or, three bulls' heads erased gu., Bull ; but the heads
should be ca boshed, as shewn below. The above Arthur Duck was born 1580 at
Heavitree near Exeter, Devon (son of Richard Duck of Heavitree and Joan his wife);
he matriculated at Exeter College, Oxford, 24 th Oct. 1595, as son of a plebeian,
became a Fellow of All Souls' College, Oxford in 1604, a Doctor of Civil Law in
1612, admitted to the College of Advocates 25 Jan. 1633-4, was Chancellor of
Bath and Wells, as also of London, M.P. for Minehead 1640. He lent £6000 to
King Charles I., and had to compound with Parliament as a Royalist at £2000.
He died in May 1649, and was buried at Chiswick. He was married at Wells by
Bishop Lake to Margaret Southworth, as above, by whom he had two daughters his
coheirs, viz. Martha the eldest, married first to William Duck, secondly to Nicholas
Duck of Mount Radford, Exeter, her cousin, by whom she left issue a daughter
Margaret, bapt. 14 Oct. 1654 at Heavitree, and married to Edward Mansell of Swan-
sea, living 1695 ; and thirdly to Sir Thomas Carew of Haccombe as his second wife,
and had a daughter unmarried in 1695. Mary, the second daughter, married Wil-
liam Harbord, Esq., of Grafton Park, co. Northampton. The arms of Duck on the
monument at Wyke Champflower are those granted by Camden Clarencieux in 1602
to his brother Nicholas Duck, Recorder of Exeter and Bencher of Lincoln's Inn.
There is a monument in Shapwick church which the inscription states was erected
by William Bull to the memory of his wife Jane, eldest daughter and coheir of
Henry Southworth of Wells, Esq. to whom he had been married 36 years and 3
months, and who died 30 March 1657. The said William Bull, Esq., J.P., died 22
Sept. 1676, aged 83. Arms, Or, three bulls' heads caboshed gu. Crest, a buWs head
as in the arms. This is at the top of the monument ; a shield at the lower part,
now blank, had formerly no doubt the same coat impaling Southworth and
Dayes quarterly.

(Eighth.) 1 and 4, Southworth ; 2 and 3, Dayes as above, imp. quar-
terly 1 and 4, Sa. an eagle displ. with two heads arg., Lloyd. 2, Per /esse
sa. and arg. a lion ramp, counterchanged ; the coat of Enion Efell, Lord
of Cymllaeth, son of Madoc, last Prince of Powys Fadoc, from whom
these Lloyds were descended. 3, arg. a chev. gu. betiv. three pheons sa., the two in chief
fessways point to point, Kiffin, of co. Salop. Beneath this shield is also the date
1607. This is the coat of Edward Southworth of London, merchant, who married
Jane daughter of Edward Lloyd of Lloyenmayne, co. Salop. Of his children, the
eldest was the above Henry Southworth, and Thomas was Recorder of Wells, and
living there in 1623, having married Jane, daughter of Nicholas Mynne of Norfolk.
He made a nuncupative will dated 8 Sept. 1625 and proved 20 Dec. following, in
which he is styled ' of Wells '; it states that he left all he possessed to Jane his
wife, and that he died at Barrow. Jane, the widow of the above Edward South-
worth, married secondly Francis Gunter, citizen and skinner of London (whose first
wife was Elizabeth, daughter of John Pelsent, merchant of London.) In Barrow
Gurney church is a flat stone to the memory of this Thomas Southworth, which has



the following inscription on it, u Hie jacet Thomaa Southworth armiger legis con-

siliarius et in societate ora ciator, pacis et quorum justitiarius civitati Wellensi. A


custos rotulorum depu-

-tatus in comitate Som. qui

obiit 8 die Septembris

anno Dni 1625

JEtatiB sua? 61."
This slab is now (1889) on the floor of the chapel on the South side of the

Thomas Southwortlvs being buried here is accounted for by his relationship to
the then owner of Barrow Court, Francis James, D.C.L., who had married Blanche
Gunter, daughter of Francis Gunter, of London, by Jane daughter of Edward Lloyd,
of Lloyenmayne, and widow of Edward Southworth, father, as named above, of Tho-
mas and Henry Southworth, who were thus half brothers of Blanche James,
and are both named in the will of Francis James as his brothers-in-law. The
mural monument of Francis James in the same chapel of the church of Barrow
has the arms of James (Sa. a dolphin emboived betw. three cross-cross lets or) impaling
Gunter, Sa. three gauntlets arg. a crescent or.

BADGE OF In this window is the badge of Richard II., a white hart lodged,
RICHARD II. horned, and unguled or, gorged with a coronet and chained of the
last. The background here being blue sprinkled with small round
yellow spots, which, except a few solitary spots, are arranged to form a conventional
style of cinquefoil : the whole enclosed in a bordure of yellow pieces of glass.


* Shapwick Parish Register. f St. Cuthbert, Wells, Parish Register.

Richard Bull of Ven Court in the parish of Henstridge ; living=f=
15 Hen. VIII. (said, in an old family MS., to have come from
Hull) : lost Ven Court in a law suit with his sister's husband,
Sir William Carente. Vide Star Chamber Proc, 15 Hen. VIII.

Sir William:

:...., sister
of Richard

Thomas Bull, who=y=
was disinherited for
marrying against his
father's wish.

John Bull, Clerk in Holy
Orders, D.D., and Chap-
lain to K. Hen. VIII. and
K. Edw. VI. ; ob. s.p.

James Bull of=pMargaret, da. of
Peglinch in
parish of Wel-
low, Somerset.

relict of Bull,
Thomas Horner ob. s.p.
of Cloford.

John Bull of the Middle Temple,=r=Lucy Davies, relict of Randel Davies

gent. ; Steward

of the Middle

of St. Sepulchre, Silkweaver ; mar.
lie. 24 Oct. 1586.

Thomas John Bull=F
Bull, of Peg-
ob. s.p. linch.

John Bull, living in 1623 ; ob. s.p.

Thomas Bull,
named in the
will of his
brother Wil-
liam Bull.

John Bull of Wells,=Jane.
Linendraper ; ob.
s.p. ; will dated 8
March 1606 ; proved
in London 3 April

Richard Bull of Lon-
don, Citizen and Fish-
monger ; named in
the will of his brothers
William and John

Judith Bull, mar.=Henry
atWellowl8 June Flower.
1599; named in
the will of brother
John Bull.



William Bull of Peglinch and of Wells, Linendraper, Mayor of=pEleanor, da. of John Hodges of

that City 1602, 1612, 1620 ; purchased the manor and rectory
of Shapwick ; bur. at St. Cuthbert, Wells, 2 Jan. 1622-3 ;f will
dated 23 Dec. 1622 ; proved in London 1 April 1623.

Dinder ; bur. at
6 April 1641.f

St. Cuthbert

John Clutterbuck,=Eleanor= William Ann=Charles Dun- Sarah Bull. Elizabeth Bull,

mar. at St. Cuth- Bull. Vaughan. Bull, combe, Coun- — bapt. at St.

bert 2 Oct. 1627.f 2nd hus- cillor-at- Judith Bull. Cuthbert 20

1st husband. band. Law. Nov. 1609.f

Susan=Robert Barber of Weeke, near Headington, Oxon ;
Bull. mar. at St. Cuthbert 24 July 1615 ; she was bur.
at Adderbury, Oxon, 15 March 1640.

Richard Bull. bapt. at St.
Cuthbert 7 April 1611 ;f
a Captain in Prince Ru-
pert's Army ; killed at
the Seige of Bristol ; ob.

Henry Bull, bapt. at St. Cuth-
bert 8 March 1612 ;f of Nor-
ton Hall in Midsomer Nor-
ton ; will dated 15 July 1683 ;
proved in London 5 June

Mary = Martin Pinder, a Colonel
Bull, in the Parliamentary

=Mary, da. of John Still of Durleigh
Somerset, Esq. (son of Bishop
Still) ; she died 27 Jan. 166- ; M.I.
at Midsomer Norton.

Arms : Bull impaling Still
(nearly obliterated).

John Bull, ob.
s.p. ; named in
the will of his
Ann Bourne,
relict of John

Henry Bull of Norton Hall, Esq. ; died 20 Feb.:
1708 ; M.I. ledger stone at Midsomer Norton.
Arms : Bull impaling Barry wavy on a chevron
between three sea-horses, five gouttes, TOOKEB.
Bur. 21 Feb. 1708 (Par. Reg.) ; will dated 19 Feb.
1708 ; proved at Wells 10 March 1708.

: Anne, da. of John Tooker
of Chilcompton, Esq. ;
died at Midsomer Nor-
ton 20 March 1719, aged
59 ; M.I. ; bur. there 1
April 1719 (Par. Reg.).


Henry Bull of Timsbury=Mary, da. and co- John Bull.

House, Somerset, Esq. ; heir of Thomas

mar. at Timsbury 9 Nov. Samborne, Esq.,

1727 by special he. from of Timsbury ; bur.

the Archbishop ; bur. at at Timsbury 3 Feb.

Timsbury 13 March 1734, 1746; will dated

s.p. ; will dated 30 Sept. 24 Oct. 1745 ;

1734 ; proved at Wells proved at Wells

10 March 1735. 19 March 1746.

Mary Bull.

Richard Bull. Ann Bull.
George Bull.

Eleanor Bull, bapt.
at Midsomer Nor-
ton 1698; died

22 Feb. 1721 ; bur.
in Bath Abbey ;
will dated 20 Feb.
1721 ; proved in
London 31 March

Richard Bull of Mid-=Honour, da.

somer Norton, Esq.,
died 10 Jan. 1692 ;
bur. there 10 ... .
(rest gone from M.I.) ;
will dated 16 Jan.
1691 ; proved at Wells
9 July 1692.

of John
Esq., of

Ann Bull, died
March 1684 ;
will dated 13
Feb. 1683-4 ;
proved at Wells
6 June 1684.

Eleanor Bull,:
mar. at Tims-
bury 17 April
1688 by spe-
cial licence ;
died 2 Jan.
1696 ; bur. in
Bath Abbey.

^George Tryme of Bath,
gent. ; bapt. at St.
Cuthbert 19 Feb. 1658
(son of Mr. Valentine
Tryme and Margaret
his wife) ; died 28 Sept.
1 722, aged 63 ; bur. in
Bath Abbey.

Valentine Tryme, died 1 Jan. 1724, aged 28 ;
8.p. ; bur. in Bath Abbey.

Anna Tryme, bapt. and died 9 March 1691 ;
bur. in Bath Abbey.

Elizabeth,=f Lawrence Bull of Peglinch ; will dated 28 April 1652 ; proved in^=Mary, da. of

bur. at
20 April
1634. 1st

London 28 June 1653. He must have married two sisters, for Ed-
ward Orange names in his will, dated 13 April 1641, his da. Eliza-
beth Bull and his grandchild William Bull. While his son William
Orange of Foscute in his will, dated 12 Jan. 1681, names "my
nephews Edward Bulk Esq., James Bull, and Charles Bull ; neice
Mary Bull ; and kinswoman Elizabeth Mason, da. of Charles Mason,
dec., and Elizabeth his late wife."

Orange of
Foscott, near
Bath, Esq.
2nd wife.



William Bull,
Fell, of All
Souls' Coll.,
Oxon ; ob.

Edward Bull, a Major in Col. Sydenham's=pElizabeth,
Regiment ; mar. at Bath Abbey ; died da. of Sam.
19 May 1685 ; bur. at Stanton Drew, Bave, M.D.,
Somerset ; will dated 27 Feb. 1679-80 ; of Bath,
proved in London 9 Feb. 1686-7.

William Bull of Peglinch,=pDorothy, da. of
living 1714. \

Wellow 12 Feb. 1702-3.

bur. at


Bull, dec. I Mason,
before dec.

1681. before


Elizabeth Mason,
living in 1681.

Edward Bull, bapt. at
Wellow 18 Oct. 1686 ;
bur. at Tickenham
8 May 1719.

Betty Bull,
bapt. at
7 Feb. 1688.

Ann Bull,
bapt. at
25 Nov.

John Bull,
bapt. at
6 Aug.

George Bull,
bapt. at
Wellow 25
May 1696.

Dorothy Bull,
bapt. at Wel-
low 27 Dec.


Richard Bull,
ob. s.p. ; bur.
at Frome 14
Feb. 1709.

Charles Bull of=Fl
Bolton in York-
shire ; mar. 1
July 1669.

second da. of Sir Robert Mark-
ham, first Bart., of Sedgebrook, by Re-
becca, da. of Sir Edward Hussey.

Charles Bull, living 31 May 1714.

Fourteen others, all dead before 1714.

John Bull, bur. at=pMary, da. of ... . Ivyleaf, and relict


18 April


Whitchurch of Frome,

Francis Bull, ob.
s.p. before 1714.

Mary Bull,
unmar. in

Henry Bull, mar. at Orchardleigh, Somerset, 24 March 1701 ; died^Margaret, da. of William
3 Aug. 1738 ; bur. at Frome. Will dated 19 Aug. 1732 ; proved in I Whitchurch of Frome ;
London 16 Dec. 1740. M.I. to him, his wife, and son James, died 20 July 1752 ; bur.
Arms : Or, three hills' heads caboshed gules. Crest : A bull's head, I at Frome.
as in the arms. The colours are now reversed on the monuments.

Jane Bull

Anne Bull,=William
twins, bapt. Forwood
10 Feb. of Frome.


John Bull, bur. 27 Aug. 1707.

George Bull, twins, bur. 9 Jan. 1707 ;
bapt. 19 Aug. 1706.

Jane Bull,
bapt. 23
Nov. 1708;
bur. 29
Nov. 1711.

Online LibraryArthur John JewersWells Cathedral: its monumental inscriptions and heraldry : together with the heraldry of the palace, deanery, and vicar's close : with annotations from wills, registers, etc., and illustrations of arms → online text (page 5 of 29)