Copyright
B. Lewis (Benjamin Lewis) Rice.

Mysore: a gazetteer compiled for government (Volume 1) online

. (page 43 of 98)
Online LibraryB. Lewis (Benjamin Lewis) RiceMysore: a gazetteer compiled for government (Volume 1) → online text (page 43 of 98)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


into a very fair court at the end." He describes the city as being twenty-
four miles round, enclosing several hills. The ordinary dwellings had
earthen walls, but the three palaces and the pagodas were all built of fine
marble.

Grants in the name of Sadas'iva, the nominal sovereign, continued
to be made as late as 1574, but Tirumala Raja also made many in his
own name. S'ri Ranga, the son of Tirumala by Vengalamba, succeeded
to the throne. In 1577 the Musalmans attacked Penugonda, but were
defeated and driven back by the king's son-in-law, Jagadeva Raya, chief
of Channapatna, who was rewarded with a large accession to his
possessions in Mysore. Venkatapati Raya, in 1585, removed the capital
to Chandragiri (North Arcot district), and ruled there and at Vellore with
some show of power. He died in 1614, and the traveller Floris says
his three wives burned themselves on his funeral pyre. Raja Wodeyar
of Mysore had already seized Seringapatam in 1610, and thrown off his
allegiance. The other feudatories, like Sivappa Nayak of Bednur,
began to imitate his example, and the Vijayanagar power was now
virtually at an end. From S'ri Ranga Raya II the English obtained
the grant of the settlement of Madras in 1640. Si.x years after,
Chandragiri and Chingalput, his occasional residence and nominal
capitals, being taken by the forces of Golkonda, he fled to the protec-
tion of Sivappa Nayak of Bednur, who gave him the government of
Sakkarepatna (Kadur district), and even adventured to besiege Seringa-
patam under the pretence of restoring him. A member of the family,
named Rama Raja, established himself at Anegundi, two miles from
the ancient capital, and continued the line for seven generations, till
1776, when Tipu Sultan overran the whole country, dispossessed
Timmappa, the reigning chief, and burnt the town of Anegundi and
its suburbs.

The Palegars. вАФ During the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, the
Vijayanagar kings had bestowed on or confirmed to vassal chiefs,
bearing various titles, sundry tracts in Mysore, on the condition of
payment of tribute and rendering of military service. Those in the
northern parts were directly controlled from the capital. The .southern
chiefs were placed under a vicero)- termed the S'ri Ranga Rayal, whose
seat of government was at Seringapatam. After the dissolution of the
empire which followed on the battle of Talikota, although a nominal
allegiance continued to be paid to the representative of the State at
Penugonda and to the viceroy at Seringapatam, such of the chiefs as



CHITAL- P*"**^

'Chitaldroog

-DROOG




;;,



Online LibraryB. Lewis (Benjamin Lewis) RiceMysore: a gazetteer compiled for government (Volume 1) → online text (page 43 of 98)