Benjamin Chase.

History of old Chester [N. H.] from 1719 to 1869 online

. (page 17 of 60)
Online LibraryBenjamin ChaseHistory of old Chester [N. H.] from 1719 to 1869 → online text (page 17 of 60)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


rigging gave way and down went the barrel full speed, and
was dashed in pieces against a tree, the molasses over-
spreading and sweetening the ground in all directions.
The captain, summoning all the patience he had at com-
mand, exclaimed, ' Oh dear ! my wife will comb my head, —
yes, and harrow it too ! ' It was truly a hard case."

This was the traveled road to Penacook up to 1738. It left
the present main road probably somewhere near the Jacob
Chase place, and on to a little east of Pike Chase's in Au-
burn, and over the top of the " Green Hill " to the mouth
of the brook. The lot Hazen Davis now lives on, No 78,
was the parsonage, and two acres and a half were reserved
on the east side for a meeting-house lot, which was sold in
1791 to John Quimby, for =£1 10s. Probably, at first, they
forded the brook on the sand-bar and went up the west side
to " Oswego " and on to " White Hall," in Hooksett, and
probably near Lakin's pond and Head's saw-mill. Daniel
Davis showed me, some forty-five years ago, places in that
region where the road passed. There were wood roads on
it then in places. One was at the southwest end of lot No.
123, in the third division, but it would be impossible to
locate it precisely at the present day.

The road to the Long Meadows was up somewhere
through the " South woods." In laying out Gov. Went-
worth's farm of tAvo hundred acres, in 1728, it was to begin
" about fifty rods from John Smith's corner where he now
dwells [on the additional lot No. 51] and four rods from
the S. W. corner of the outside additional lot in that
range" [No. 67]. When the second part of the second
division was laid out, in 1736, the northeast end line of the



196 HISTORY OF CHESTER.

89th lot is described as crossing the brook " by the path
to Crage's," Andrew Craige bought of Governor Went-
worth fifty acres of his farm of two hundred acres, in 1730,
and settled near where John Ray now lives. Previous to
1740 James Campbell had built a saw-mill near the school-
house No. 4 in Auburn, and he probably came up that
way.

In a warning, March, 1739, was an article

" To consider of a Pettition Prefered to the Select men of
this town by the Inhabitants of Rumford and Canterbury,
in behalf of tlieniselves and their other neighbouring towns,
Relating to the Laying out of a Highway."

At the meeting it was

" Voted, that the affair of the Highway to Rumford and
Canterbury be Left with the Selectmen to order as they
shall think it best & Conveniant."

May 23, 1738, there was a road laid out, leading from the
meeting-house in said Chester to Massabcsic. It began at
the meeting-house and ran northwest, and was to be ten
rods wide, about to the brick school-house ; then west
northwest, four rods wide, between the second and third
ranges of additional lots. It was where the road now runs
nearly to Long Meadow brook, then turned to the north,
and kept about fifteen rods north of Beaver pond. It was
some sixty or seventy rods southwest of where Hazen
Davis now lives, and came out by Haynes's and the Moses
Hall place, to the brook leading into the pond, and so
crossing the brook, and running by the pond forty rods
farther.

In a warrant for a meeting, August, 1739, is an article
" To see if the town will Procure and Lay out a Highway
as conveniant as Can be had, for the Inhabitants of our
town that live about the Long meadows to come down to
meeting, and about their other Nessary business." It was
voted to change the road to the south side of Mine hill
and Beaver pond. This was about the time the Presby-
terian meeting-house was built, and several Presbyterians
had settled at the Long Meadows, At the same meeting
it was



HISTORY OF ROADS. 197

" Voted, That Capt. Sam" Ingalls, m'" Nathan Webster
and m'^ John Tolford Shall be a Committee to take bonds
of the Inhabitants of Rumford for the making and main-
taining a good soficiant Roade for Passing massibeecik
Pond towards their town, agreeable to their proposals made
to us, and to Enter into bonds to them to make and main-
tain one on this side, and over the said pond, as good."

November 22, 1740. A highway was laid out from the
"great bridge by Massabesic Pond," running up the brook
to Calfe's fulling-mill. This was sometimes under water.
It was changed to higher land January 24, 1743.

March 19, 1740. A highway was laid out below Calfe's
fulling-mill, across the river or brook to the reserve.

At a meeting, March, 1741, it was

" Voted, That if any Persons will freely goe to massabee-
cek, and build a bridge over the Brook below mr. Calfe's
fulling mills, it shall goe for their turn of Work uj^on the
Highways other Where, Day for day."

March 24, 1749. A highway was laid out, "beginning at
the westerly side of Calfs bridge, and running across three
lots " to near where Robert Patten now lives, to the west
end of No. 127, 2d P. 2d D.

January 8, 1762. At the request of Joseph Brown and
others, a highway was laid out, " Beginning at the End of
the old Recorded Highway above Adam Wilson's" [who
lived near G. P. Clarke's, l)ut the road began near Robert
Patten's]. It went "about the old Roade, and by Sam''
Nutt's farm, and so on about the old Rode to the bottom of
the first of Bushnell's Hills so called ; then Turning a
Litle to the north East of said Hills, by marked trees, to
the old Roade in Sight of Bushnal's medow, so Called ;
and along in and about the old Roade, till it strikes abner
Fowler's Land ; and so on, in and about the old Roade,
through Esq"" Boys'es Land, and along by Sam" Brown's
and William Brown's, along the old Roade as Near Joseph
Brown's house as a Good Roade can be had ; up along to
mcCoy's house, and along by s^ macoy's in and about
the old Roade till it strikes Chester Line. This road
went to Londonderry turnpike, near where it now does,



198 HISTORY OF CHESTER.

and crossed the Martin's Ferry road at what nsed to
be the" March place," one hundred rods west of Martin's
school-house, and kept west of where the turnpike is,
and west of a small pond, until near the Amoskeag
Company's quarry (once Simeon Carr's), then to Head's
tavern, and as the road now is to Allenstown line. The
road from where Jonathan Davis formerly lived, up into
Hooksett, went to the west of the present road. The pres-
ent road was laid out in 1816.

The banks of Peter's brook, on the old road liclow the
turnpike, being steep and badly gullied, an alteration was
made further east, crossing the brook above the turnpike,
in 1801, " Beginning on the main Road near Simon Carr's
House, running on the east side of the pond the most direct
Course the Ground will admit, to Lieut. Joseph Whitcher's
House [the Clark tavern], thence Southwesterly to the
main road."

March 26, 1740. Beginning at the northeast bound of
home lot No. 56 (near where Daniel Wilson lately lived),
then northwest on the reserve to the northwest bound of
151 (to the Emerson place) ; then southwest on the reserve
to the southeast corner of No. 60 (to the poor farm) ; then
northwest " between said No. 60 and the additions to the
highway from Dea. Dearborn's to Londonderry ; so running
a bridle road of four rods wide at the easterly end of the
additional lots Sam" Brown, John Mills and William Karr
lives on, to the N. W. bound of No. 29 [this is from
the Derry road northwest by Oilman Morris's up into the
woods] ; then W. N. W. at the southerly end of the second
range of additions ; then N. W. at the S. end of No. 89 2^
P. 2^^ D. to Campbell's sawmill" [the old McDuffee mill
near school-house No. 1 in Auburn]. This is the first road
probably traveled to the Long Meadows, and went near
John Smith, the first settler there.

Nov. 22, 1740. At the request of Moses Tyler the road
from the corner near No. 2 school-house in Auburn to the
Congregational church was laid out.

April 20, 1741. At the request of Paul McFerson a four-



HISTORY OF ROADS. 199

rod highway on the northwest side of Add. No. 9. This is
the road from the road down Jack's hill to Three Camp
meadow, laid out Aug. 28, 1738, southwest to Derry line.
The road from Hall's Village to James Quenton's bound,
to meet it, was laid out March 26, 1751.

June 28, 1742. Between home lots 49 and 112 from near
Francis Towle's to Jona. Moulton's. (From the Haverhill
road across to Hiram Basford's.)

Same day, from the end of the last road southeast on the
heads of the home lots, to the Add. No. 132. (From near
Hiram Basford's, by the Jacob Hill place, to G. W. Everet's.)

May 18, 1743. From the southeast corner of home lot
39, (near No. 4 school-house in Chester), northeast the
length of the lot, then southeast, then northeast the length
of additional No. 100 (to near the David Wilson, or Joseph
Richardson place), thence northeast across No. 101 to 110
additional, over the Great hill.

Same day, the east side of additional Nos. 93 and 118
(from near the Worthen saw-mill northeast), and then
southeast to Joshua Prescott's. A new road was laid out
Feb. 13, 1838.

October 26, 1744. Beginning at the southeast corner of
additional No. Ill (the David Wilson, or Joseph Richard-
son place), thence northwest on the reserve by Richardson's
and Thos. Craige's (Marston's and Spofford's, by French's,)
to No. 118, the last mentioned road.

Same day, the road through Hall's Village.

April 6, 1744. A continuation of the road laid out May
18, 1743, beginning at a red oak near Joshua Prescott's
house, thence northeast to Prescott's northeast bound,
thence easterly across Jacob Basford's, David McCluer's and
Benja. French's land, to near Charles Stevens' saw-mill.
This was continued on by the Branch March 10, 1748.

April 17, 1744. Beginning at the southeast corner of
additional 91 (Shackford's Corner), by Daniel McFarland's
and Israel Dolby's, to the reserve between the old and new
one-hundred-acre lots, near Lane's, "thence W.N.W. so far
as Ithamar Berry's house." This as far as Lane's was prob-



200 HISTORY OF CHESTER.

ably on or near the horse or cart path, which in 1732 was
voted to be cut out to the North Parish.

March 27, 1745. Between home lots Nos. 57 and 146, from
Hall's Village to the Haverhill road, near Daniel Wilson's,
formerly John Powel's.

Dec. 7, 1745. From near the old Presbyterian meeting-
house, northwest to Derry road (where J. Dearborn Morse
lives). For a long time previous to this laying out, William
Powel, Alexander Craige and the Rev. John Wilson lived
on it, and it was early called the " Road to Haverhill." It
was also laid out thence northwest across the Derry road
half a mile by where Peter and Asa Dearborn lived,

Dec. 7, 1745. Beginning at the northeast corner of
home lot 132 (on Chester Street where Capt. B. Fitts lived),
southwest to the l)ridle road laid out March 26, 1740, above
Oilman Morse's, then between additional Nos. 21 and 22, to
Londonderry line, from where Stephen Morse lived, by Jo-
siah Morse's.

Dec. 5, 1746. A highway laid out the southwest side of
Gov. Wentworth's farm of two hundred and fifty acres, by
McKinley's, Lufkin's and Ray's, and southwest by Samuel
Aiken's, now Grant's, and also northeast, on the southeast
side of the Governor's farm, to the main road near Calef's
in Auburn.

Dec. 18, 1746. Between the additional lots 52 and 53,
from near Jacob Chase's, northeast to near Southwick's.
It was continued on, March 25, 1752.

March 5, 1747. From the end of the road by Samuel
Aiken's (Grant's), southwest to the west end of Hugh Mc-
Duffee's corn-mill, and turning southerly, by school-house
No. 4 in Auburn, through Daniel McDuffee's, John Wither-
spoon's (now J. ]\I. Hall's), Wentworth's farm of two hun-
dred acres and Cochran's land, to Londonderry line, " to
the road from widow Murdock's."

March 10, 1748, On the east side of additional lot 111,
from the Joseph Richardson place, northeast over the
Great hill to where Josiah Basford lived, A part of this
road had been laid out May 18, 1743 ; altered again, March
30, 1774.



HISTORY OF ROADS. 201

March 10, 1748. Beginning at the southwest corner of
additional lot No. 101, and thence east by south on Sandowii
line, the length of the lot, then northeast across eight lots,
passing where John Moore lived. The first part was
moved one lot northeast between Nos. 101 and 102, July 2,
1753. It is the road from near the Joseph Richardson
place, by James Towle's.

March 10, 1748. A continuation of the road laid out
April G, 1744, from Jabez French's northeast corner,
near Charles Stevens' mill " through the 11th, 12t]i, 13th,
14th lots, 2*^ P. 2*^ D., crossing the N. E. Branch below the
saw-mill upon the 4(jth Old Hundred acre lot, then across
No. 45, 44, 43, 27, 26, 25, 24, to Exeter head line, to the
road there laid out." (To the road from Freetown mill to
Exeter.) This was a new route to Exeter.

March 10, 1748. From Joshua Prescott's, northeast to
the road below James Marden's, formerly Geo. Marden's.

Sept, 2, 1748. "Beginning at the bridge at the Pound
where the highway is laid out [June 1730], across James
Boid's lot originally, [near Edwin Haselton's] ; tlience
soutlierly to the S. W. corner of Home Lot No. 72 " [near
John Haselton's].

Sept. 2, 1748. From the county road by Crawford's
cider-mill, southeast by the bounds of the home lots, till
we come to John Aiken's grist-mill pond, crossing the
brook above said mill, and running about thirty rods across
John Boid's home lot to the reserve, then running north-
east on the southeast side of home lot No. 45, and across
Wadel's and Hill's, to the road to Sandown.

Dec. 9, 1748. A road from the old saw-mill down by
Haselton's grist-mill, to Sandown line, then south on the
line to Thomas Wells' home lot.

The Londonderry people would early have some kind of
a road to Amoskeag. The tradition is, that they built a
large fire near the falls, and took the direction for a road
from the east village. The first road laid out from Lon-
donderry was returned in 1729, but it was probably not
made. The Chester people got on to the Londonderry road
through the south woods.



202 HISTORY OP CHESTER.

March 10, 1748. The first road Chester laid out to
Derryfield began at tlie corner between Nos. 83 and 84,
2d P., 2d D. (southwest of the corner near school-house
No. 2 in Auburn), thence southwest the length of the lot,
and through Nos. 85 and 95, so on, over " Rattlesnake hill,"
to the bound of 183 and 134, 4th D. ; thence on London-
derry line " to Amoskeag path, then as the path now goes
to Michael McClento's house," near the Dea. Sawyer place,
and so on to William McClento's house (the Huse place),
crossing the 9th lot, the 14tli and loth by Robert Andrew-
son's house (the Daniel Hall place), to the beaver dam, near
where the stream crosses the road southeast of Hallsvillo,
then west-northwest to Londonderry line. This road was
intended to go south of the summit of Rattlesnake hill, but
prol)ably was never cut out or traveled until it struck the
Derry road ; but a path w^as cut out and traveled near
where the present road is, to the fang of the pond, and
the road laid out by Derryfield, June 6, 1769, was intended,
to meet it. The present road was laid out 1792. From
McClento's to the beaver dam it was near the present road.
The first Amoskeag path probably crossed the stream below
the ILaseUon mill at the " old fordwav." The McClentos
built bridges across the Cohasses on this route, and asked
pay of the town in 1740, but did not get it.

Sept. 16, 1748. Beginning at the southeast bound of the
14th lot, 4th D., thence east-southeast on the reserve to the
middle of the 12th lot, near Gamble's, to the corner of
John Hogg's land, and across the 13th lot, crossing the
Great brook north of the old fordway to the northeast cor-
ner of Nat. Boid's fence, now J. Goff Webster's, and across
the first lot to the highway laid out. It probably crossed
the brook below the Haselton mill and came into the
Derry road near the Dea. Sawyer place, but was never built,
for Derryfield, Oct 25, 1751, laid out a road " beginning at
Mikcll McClento's, on the eaist sied of his house where the
fence is marked, &c. as the tree is marked into Eallwife falls.
This is in exchange for a rhoad formerly laid out through
Mikel McClento's and Nathaniel Boyde's land."



HISTORY OP ROADS. 203

Dec. 10, 1751. " At the EUwife falls, then a cros the
Wastwater to the sawmill, then beginning at the fore-
minshined EUwife falls, rnnning by marked trees throw
Jolin Houge's land where they formerly past, about 40
Roudes to the north of a bridge wliich is in said houge's
land ; then across mathrow Ramsey [lot No. 12] by marked
trees on the north side of a whit Pine swamp to the Conor
tree Betwixt William gamble's and the said Ramesy lot,
which is a whit Eash ; then from thence By marked
trees acrose the 18 lote and the 17 lote ; then acrose
Broukoup land in waltor mack farland's land ; then by
marked trees into a rhoad In John Hall's land to the
south of said Hall's hones, to marked trees, as good
ground will allow."

Potter's History of Manchester, pp. 692 and 698, has
Ale wife Falls at the Haselton mill ; and Samuel Gamble
(who is probably better posted than any other person) says
that McClento lived on No. 133, where the brick house
now is ; that Alewife Falls is just below the Webster mill ;
that there was then a saw-mill there ; that the waste water
was the natural stream ; that now the road crosses above,
mstcad of below the mill, but is essentially the same now
traveled to the Mammoth road. The road from McClento's
to the falls is superseded by one laid out Jan. 2, 1769 :
" Beginning at a white pine near Michael McClento's house,
upon the Grate Road Leading from Londonderry to Name-
Skeeg falls ; and from thence northward to Samuel Boid's
House, Standing upon the Road Leading to Capt. nicMur-
phy's mill in the most Convenient Land."

Sept. 16, 1748. Beginning near William McClento's ;
then by William Ellett's ; then to the southeast corner of
the 8th lot ; so on west-northwest to the southwest corner
of the 7th lot.

James A. Weston, Esq., says this was never built, but
the last part of the following was a substitute. There was
a road laid out by Derryfield, Oct. 4, 1751, beginning at
the town line, through William Perham's land to the east
end of John Harvey's house, across Perham bridge,



204 HISTORY OF CHESTER.

across Barber Leslie's and William EUett's land, to the
road recorded by Chester.

March 1, 1755. Beginning on the line between John Hall
and Robert Andrewson (Nos. 14 and 15, 4th D.), running
easterly the nearest and best way to the reserve ; thence to
the northwest corner of the 16th lot ; thence to the north-
east corner ; thence north the best way to the " sow west"
corner of the 33d lot ; " then running about more East to
y'= Brook, about ten rods below y*" forard way," thence
easterly to lot No. 32. This was probably intended as a
road from Candia to the falls.

Aug. 6, 1761. A road was laid out from Alexander Mc-
Clento's, near the Huse or McQuenton place, northeast to
Johnson's beach.

June 6, 1769. Beginning at Londonderry line, near
Gillis' brook, easterly on the line about half a mile thence,
the " Nearest and Best way to the South Eand of the Long
fang, So caled, as far as our Town Gows."

March 14, 1749. A road from the northeast corner of
103, ^d P., 2d D., in the neck of the pond near where Joseph
Brown now lives, to Miller's, now Sam' Anderson's, by
where Thomas Coffin now lives, to the road to the Congre-
gational Church in Auburn, which was laid out Nov. 22,
1740.

Sept. 22, 1749. The first road into Candia began at the
southwest bounds of 0. H. No. 128, owned by John Lane,
running north 29, east 120 rods, then across lots 129, 130,
131 and 132 (would pass somewhere near Chataugue
mill) to common land, then northerly on common land to
the northeast corner of No. 32, 2d P., 2d D.,then across 31
and 30, and across 128, 127, 83 and 84, 3d D., to the re-
serve ; then west northwest to 6Q and 91, " called the Sen-
ter." It went near Wason's, Patten's, Willis Patten's, and
Capt. Smith's, and by Candia Corner to the meeting-house.

May 5, 1750. From the road laid out near Marden's,
March 10, 1748, east-southeast down across No. 122, N. D.
to the reserve ; then north 29" east, to Jethro Batchelder's
(the Todd road).



HISTORY OF ROADS. 205

Aug. 17, 1750. From Aiken's grist-mill down to the
north side of the brook, at the tail of the sawmill. Dis-.
continued.

May 11, 1750. From Clark's mill in Auburn to the main
road.

July 8, 1751. From the " Branch " by Osgood True's, to
Whittier's in Raymond. Altered May 7, 1765.

Nov. 5, 1751. From near Osgood Wason's in Candia,
northeast by Dearborn's, towards Langford's on the reserve.

March 24, 1752. From the east end of additional lot
No. 107, near Charles Moore's, northeast to the " Branch "
road near the Locke place.

March 25, 1752. A continuation of the road to Candia,
from John Underliill's or Jacob Chase's, laid out Dec. 18,
1746. From the southeast corner of additional lot No. 70,
near where Mr. South wick now lives, and by Capt. AYeeks's,
by " Norway meadow " and David Craig's to the north line
of No. 38, 2d P., 2d D., near where Asahel Weeks lives.

Aug. 21, 1752. From Exeter line up the old cart road,
that was, when the lots were laid, to David Bean's, near
Freetown mill. This road was cut out to go from Free-
town mill to Exeter, and is marked on the old plans, and
the lots are bounded on it.

July 9, 1753. From near Mr. Orcutt's to the North
Pond road ; between home lots Nos. 7 and 135.

March 2, 1754. Beginning between Capt. Morse's saw-
mill and grist-mill (Couch's), and on to Derry line, near
Jacob Couch's.

March, 1754. From Charles Moore's and John Moore's
(Wilbur's) additional lot 104, by William Moore's (Daniel
Sanborn's), and John Hoit's (Simon M. Sanborn's), to the
road "laid out by the Parish of Brentwood" (Fremont).
This followed the north line of Gov. Wentworth's fifty
acres, and No. 6 to the reserve, then on the reserve the
width of No. 2, and on the south line of No. 3 to the sled
path, and across No. 3 to the road by Brentwood. The
corners have since been cut off.

July 16, 1755. From the main road at Emerson's Cor-



206 HISTORY OF CHESTER.

ner, in Auburn, additional 64, northerly by Pike Chase's,
over " Bunker Hill" to the new, or Dearborn, saw-mill on
lot No. 57, 2d P., 2d D. It led by Joseph Basford's, the
only settler at that time.

3Iarch 1, 1756. The road by Archibald McDuffce's, now
Thomas Goldsmith's, by the Fowler place, now Savage's in
Auburn, to where John Smith lived.

July 12, 1756. From Cornet Lane's east southeast by
Marden's, to the road to the " Branch," by Joseph
Knowles's.

April, 1757. From near Joshua Hall's house, now Geo.
S. Smith's, between 129 and 130, old hundred, northeast
into Raymond, and passing where Garland Wason lives, to
J. Osgood Wason's, then Thomas Wason's, to the old road
to Candia.

Oct. 18, 1757. Began at the northwest corner of No. 3,
old hundred, then south 29" west, on the reserve " to where
the gate now hangs." Then across the 5th, 6th, and part
of the 7th lot, to Exeter line, northward of the burying-
place, and between Benjamin Smith's house and barn. It
is the road from near J. FuUonton's in Raymond to Ep-
ping.

Sept. 9, 1758. Candia "High Street" from the north-
west corner of the school lot No. 91, 3d D., to the westerly
end of the third division. The upper end probably was
never built on the reserve as laid out.

Dec. 6, 1758. " Beginning at the north end of No. 35,
third division, where the westerly path now goes, from
Jeremiah Bean's bars [near the Candia village school-
house], crossing the river at the tail of the saw-mill, and on
by Enoch Rowell's [Candia Corner] to Emerson's [now
Parker's Corner], then west northwest to the southwest
bound of the 92d lot." This would be by the Colby and
Cass places, in all, five lots, or about three hundred and
sixty rods.

June 12, 1759. From Freetown mill, by Raymond Cen-
ter to Dudley's mill.

June 12, 1759. At the request of Jonathan Dearborn,



HISTORY OF ROADS. 207

Wadleigh Cram and David Diistin, — beginning at the
southeast corner of Xo. 16, old hundred, running across
lots Nos. 16, 15, to Nottingham line.

June 13, 1759. From Freeto\Yn mill, crossing the bridge
below the mill, going to the west of the outlet nTill, and
east of Daniel Robie's house (Rev. J. Fullonton's), AVad-
leigh Cram's and John Cram's, to the road laid out Oct. 18,
1757 (the road to Xottingham).

Feb. 11, 1760. Between Ithamar Berry's and Zachariah



Online LibraryBenjamin ChaseHistory of old Chester [N. H.] from 1719 to 1869 → online text (page 17 of 60)