Benjamin Chase.

History of old Chester [N. H.] from 1719 to 1869 online

. (page 55 of 60)
Online LibraryBenjamin ChaseHistory of old Chester [N. H.] from 1719 to 1869 → online text (page 55 of 60)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


$1,500. The following are among the preachers employed :

Previous to the division the name of Elder David Har-
riman is frequently found. Elder Moses Bean was the son
of Reuben Bean, and grandson of David Bean, and seems
to have been in a sense the father of the church, as he
built the first meeting-house, and it was voted Nov. 17,
1824, " to receive Elder Moses Bean as Pastor of this
41



642 HISTORY OF CANDIA.

Church." Nov. 15, 1830, Elder Bean resigned and Elder
J. Knowles was called ; dismissed, and Elder B. S. Manson
chosen; dismissed April 4, 1839, and Elder S. P. Furnald
chosen ; dismissed, and Elder S. Whitney chosen.

METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH AND SOCIETY.

Moses Colliy came from Hawkc (Danville) in 1806, and
purchased the John Sargent place. He was the first Meth-
odist in Candia, and his children have ever been efficient
supporters of that denomination. Others moved into town
or became Methodists and retained their connection with,
or joined the churches of Hawke, Po})lin and Sandown.
When the church was organized at Chester, now Auburn,
they generally united with that and constituted a class. '

A society and church were formed in Candia in 1859, and
they then erected a place of worship with a stone basement
for a vestry, at the expense of 81,500. There is a mem-
bership of about forty, and they have been regularly sup-
plied with a Conference preacher : — Henry Nutter, 1859 ;
Lorenzo Draper, 1860 and '61 ; James Adams, 1862 and
'63 ; N. H. Chase, 1864 and '65 ; James Adams, 1866 ;
Silas Green, 1867 to '69.



THE PARSONAGE.

The parish of Candia had the parsonage lot No. 90, and
school lot No. 91, in the third division.

March 10, 1767, voted c£20, lawful, in labor, be laid out
on the parsonage lot at 2s. 6d. per day. There was a like
vote in 1768.

Oct. 31, 1768, it was voted to build a sufficient parsonage
house in one year ; finish two rooms ; dig a well ; clear up
and bring under improvement thirty acres within four
years. It was determined Feb. 6, 1769, " that the house
should be 28 by 26 feet, two stories high and as near the
meeting-house as the land will admit; that <£30 lawful be
raised, one-half in merchantable boards and the other half



ECCLESIASTICAL. 643

in shingles ; that the frame shall be raised by the loth of
April."

March 24, lT69,the dimensions were altered to 38 by 20,
" with a Citching Room upon the South side at the East
End, two Stories high, Eighteen feet square."

August, 1769, voted that the overplus of the staves be
laid out in buying brick for the parsonage-house chimney.

Dec. 13, 1770, voted " to build a stack of chimneys with
two fireplaces, and finish one room by the first day of
October next ; likewise finish another room by the first day
of December next ; dig a cellar and also set out an orchard
of one hundred trees next spring."

May 7, 1791, .£50 was voted " to finish the house and
build a barn ; dig and stone a well ; dig and stone a cellar,
and set out an orchard this present year."

Sept. 13, 1813, voted to sell one acre of land off the
front of the parsonage lot to the Rev. Jesse Remington for
one hundred dollars. Mr. Remington commenced the
erection of a house.

Oct. 2,1815, it was voted, 99 to 35, to sell the parsonage
lot and not to divide the interest money of the proceeds
among the difierent denominations.

A very long preamble and resolutions were also passed,
setting forth that the proprietors of Chester reserved and
.set apart a lot of land as a parsonage, and that the Con-
gregationalists have, without molestation for nearly half a
century, appropriated the income to the support of their
teachers agreeably to the original intent of the proprietors ;
it was obvious that the proprietors coald not have intended
that any denomination which did not then exist, and espe-
cially whose religious tenets impel them to proscribe and
disclaim all annuities and salaries to their religious teach-
ers, should have the benefit of such a grant ; that it is
believed that all the ratable inhabitants of the town, except
those from principle opposed to stipendiary contracts with
religious teachers, do pay taxes to the support of Congre-
gational teachers. It was resolved that the interest of the
money for which the parsonage should be sold should be



644 HISTORY OF CANDIA.

appropriated to the Congregational society. The lot was
sold in lots to different individuals Dec. 4, 1815, for
$4,289.

At the January term of the court of Common Pleas,

1818, the Union Baptist society of Candia commenced a
suit against the town, claiming $1,000. It was tried in that
court and decided in favor of the town ; was appealed and
reviewed, and a final decision in the Superior court, Feb.,

1819, which sustained the former verdict.

The affairs of the Congregational society were carried on
by the town until May, 1831, when a separate society was
organized.

At a town meeting held Dec. 31, 1831, votes passed
giving the meeting-house to the Congregational society,
reserving the right to hold town meetings in it until a town
house shall be built, also to give to- said society 83,500 of
the parsonage fund, and to the Union Baptist society -^889.

In 1835 the smallpox prevailed in Candia. William
Towle d. March 12 ; Owen Runnels, March 25 ; Asa Hun-
toon, March 31 ; a dau. of Owen Runnels, April 6 ; Nelson
Healey, April 7 ; David Heath, April 18 ; and Asa Heath.

SCHOOLS.

At a meeting April 4, 1TG4, " Voted £100, old tenor, to
Hire Schooling." The selectmen paid Dr. Moore for keep-
ing school, £4:0. In 1765, .£200 was voted and paid Dan-
iel Row for keeping school; £9 3s. 6d. to Zachariah Clif-
ford or his wife for keeping school. In 1766 they voted
to raise £250, old tenor, or £12 10s. lawful money, equal
thereto, to hire schooling. They paid Master Haselton for
keeping school one month, £2 ; paid Isaac Clifford's wife
for keeping school, six weeks and one day, 17s. ; Zach-
ariah Clifford's wife, 12s. ; Mr. Bowen, for keeping school,
£1 16s. 9d.

Money is paid tliat year to tlie south quarter ; to the
southeast quarter ; to the centre quarter ; to the west quar-
ter ; and to the northeast quarter. In 1767, Master Shaw



SCHOOLS. 645

is paid for keeping scliool in the south quarter ; Esquire
Moore and Nathaniel Emerson in the center quarter ; and
Israel Gilman's wife in the northeast quarter. There was
a Paul Jewett who kept school several years ; also Richard
ClilTord's wife, Samuel Buswell and Ezekiel Worthcn. In
177o a motion was made to hire a grammar-school master
(that is one to teach the languages), — negatived.

" And likewise it is voted that y® Parish Does Except
[accept] of a Reading and writing School this Present
year, and that Each Quarter Respectively shall have the
Liberty to Choose there own School master upon y*' Pro-
viso the major Part of Each Quarter Shall be agreed in
one Person within the S])ace of ten Days from this Date,
and make application to the Selectmen to Employ him."

In 1744, Abraham Fitts, Master Forsaith, Master Otis,
Mrs. Hazzard, Mrs. Rendall and Mrs. Cram are teachers.

In 1778, £80 lawful was raised for schooling.
, In 1782, paper money being nearly worthless, it was
voted to raise one hundred silver dollars for schooling.

The present division of Candia into thirteen scliool dis-
tricts was made in 1844, but it does not appear by the rec-
ords what proportion of money each district has had,
although No. 1, at the Corner, No. 2, at the meeting-house,
and No. 3, near John Robie's, are large and have more
money, but some of the smaller districts by giving wood
and board have had nearly as much school.

Candiar has made liberal expenditures for schools ; has
had, besides the town schools, a high school in the fall, a
large portion of the time ; and the town, as will be seen,
has furnished a large number of graduates and professional
men.

In the year 1795, the town raised for schools, $450 ;
from 1800 to 1824, 8500 ; from 1825 to 1835, 8600 ; in
1845, 8650 ; in 1850, 8700 ; from 1855 to 1865, 81,000,



646 HISTORY OF CANDIA.



PROFESSIONAL HISTORY OF CANDIA.

Graduates of Dartmouth.
[The following is furnished hy Abraham Emerson, Esq.]

1827. David Pillsbury, the son of Benjamin Pillsbuiy
and Sarali, daughter of Maj. Jesse Eaton, was horn at Ray-
mond, Feb. 17, 1802, and died at Concord, May 25, 1862,
aged 60. He read law with the Hon. Henry Hubbard of
Charlestown, and the Hon. Samuel Dana Bell of Chester;
went into practice at Chester in 1830 ; lived there many
years, then removed to Concord ; was appointed judge of
the Police court, in which office he died 1862.

1828. Frederick Parker, the son of Thomas and Mar-
garet, dau. of James Aiken of Bedford, was born at Bed-
ford, Oct. 3, 1799, was a lawyer; lived in Bangor, Me.,
where he died May 19, 1834, aged 34.

1829. Jacob Hook Quimby, the son of Jacob H. Quimby
and Susanna, dau. of Reuben Bean of Candia, was born at
Springfield, June 6, 1806 ; was professor of Latin and
Greek at St. Mary's College, Md. ; died Feb. 6, 1838,
aged 31.

1830. William Henry Duncan, tlie son of William

Duncan and Mary, dau. of' ]\lcMurphy of Derry,

was born at Candia, Sept. 26, 1807 ; began practice as a
lawyer at Hanover, where he still resides.

1881. Moses Hall Fitts, the son of Moses Fitts and
Sarah, dau. of Rev. Nehemiah Ordway, was born at Candia,
Jan. 1, 1808. He has been principal of Lewiston Acad-
emy, N. Y. ; county school commissioner ; now principal
of Palmyra Academy, N. Y.

Ephraim Eaton, the sou of Henry Eaton and Hannah,
dau. of Maj. Jesse Eaton, was born at Candia, Sept. 13,
1808, practiced law at Concord ; was afterward agent of a
manufacturing company at Troy, N. Y., where he died
March 3, 1863.

1833. Jesse Eaton Pillsbury, the son of Benjamin Pills-
bury and Sarah Eaton, dau. of Maj. Jesse Eaton, was born



PROFESSIONAL HISTORY. 647

at Candia, Dec. 10, 1807. He taught at Buffalo, N. Y.,
but is now principal of the academy at Kingston, N. Y.
He was brother of David above named.

1811. Richard Emerson Lane, the son of John Lane,
Esq., and Abigail Einerson, was born at Candia, June 2,
1813, was teaching and reading law at Lewistown, N. Y.,
where he died suddenly in 1842,

1843. Lorenzo Clay, the son of Walter Clay and Dolly,
dan. of David Pillsbury, was born at Candia, Nov. 5, 1817.
He settled as a lawyer at Augusta, Me., where he still
resides.

1850. Moses Patten, the son of Moses Patten and Han-
nah, dan. of Ephraim Eaton, was born at Candia, July 4,
1824 ; graduated at Andovcr Theological Seminary in
1855 ; settled at Plympton, Mass.

1853. John Dolbeer Emerson, the son of xVbraham
Emerson and Abigail, dan. of John Dolbeer, was born at
Candia, May 29, 1828 ; graduated at Andover Theological
Seminary in 1858 ; located in Haverhill, N. H., nine years,
and is now at Biddeford, Me.

1853. Jonathan C. Brown, the son of Jonathan Brown
and Sarah, dau. of Samuel Fitts, was born at Candia,
Jan. 19, 1827. He engaged in teaching, and finally in a
broker's office in N. Y., where his health failed about 18G0.

1855. Daniel Dana Patten, the son of Moses Patten and
Hannah Eaton, was born at Candia, April 25, 1829 ; read
law in Boston ; is now engaged as a teacher at Stoneham,
Mass. He is brother to Moses above named.

1858. Samuel Collins Bean, the son of Josepli Bean
and Lydia, dau. of Col. Samuel Collins of Deeraeld, was
born at Candia, Dec. 19, 1835 ; graduated at Harvard
Divinity School, and is now settled at Salem, Mass.

1858. Joseph Francis Dudley, the son of Joseph and
Sarah Dudley, was born at Raymond, June 11, 1830. He
studied law in Boston ; graduated at Bangor Theological
Seminary, and settled in Winona, Minn.

1858. Albert Palmer, the son of Joseph Palmer and
Abigail, dau. of Col. Thomas Wilson, was born at Candixi,



648 HISTORY OF CANDIA.

Jan. 17, 1831. lie became a teacher in Boston Latin
school, and is noM^ in business at Boston.

1860. Caleb Gushing Sargent, the son of Jonathan Sar-
gent and Sarah, dau. of Isaac Marston of Hampton, was
born at Candia, Dec. 24, 1835. He studied law, and is now
a teacher and merchant at Corinth, Vt.

1800. Samuel Franklin French, the son of Dea. Coffin
M. French, was born at Candia, Dec. 22, 1835. lie
studied divinity at Andover Theological Seminary, and
is now settled at Hamilton, Mass.

1800. AVilson Palmer, the son of Joseph Palmer and
Abigail "Wilson, was born at Candia, March 1, 1833 ; grad-
uated at Albany Law School, and is now superintendent of
city schools at Independence, Iowa.

1800. Alanson Palmer, the brother of the preceding,
was born at Candia, May 12, 1835. He is a teacher in
New York city.

1861. William Robie Patten, the son of Dea. Francis
Patten and Rebecca, dau. of Dea. Aaron Knight of Han-
cock, was born at Candia, Aug. 30, 1837. He practices
law at Manchester, N. H.

1862. Luther Wilson Emerson, brother of John D.
Emerson, was born at Candia, Oct. 14, 1838 ; read law in
the office of Lewis & Cox, New York city, where he was
admitted to the bar, and is now practicing.

1863. George Henry French, brother of S. Franklin
French, was born at Candia, July 27, 1838 ; graduated at
Andover Theological Seminary in 1868.

1865. Charles Hubbard, son of J. Pike Hubbard and
Adaline, daughter of Captain Eben Eaton, was born at
Candia July 4, 1839, graduated at Andover Theological
Seminary in 1868.

The following are graduates of other colleges : —

James P. Lane, son of Dr. Isaiah Lane, a graduate of
Amherst College, and of Andover Theological Seminary,
settled in North Andover, Mass.

Alvah Smith, son of Charles Smith, graduated at Michi-
gan University, and is a teacher at the West.



PROFESSIONAL HISTORY. 649

Henry Robie Morrill, son of Samnel Morrill and Miranda,
daughter of Josiah Short, graduated at the Wesleyan Uni-
versity, Middletown, Conn. ; is now a teacher.

The following is a list of professional men, natives of
Candia, not graduates of college : —

Moses Palmer, self-educated ; an ordained minister of
the Methodist denomination, located for many years in
Unity, N. H., where he died.

Dr. Moses Bagley practiced in Candia from 1817 to 1823,
when he died.

Dr. Isaiah Lane practiced in Candia from 1824 to about
1855, when he removed to Plainiield, N. H., where he died
soon after.

Jacob Read, Groveland, Mass., a self-taught lawyer, was
admitted to the Essex bar, where he holds a high position.

Dr. Thomas Wheat, son of Dr. Nathaniel Wheat, now a
practicing physician of note in Manchester, N. H., a grad-
uate of Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia.

Dr. Franklin Fitts, son of Moses Fitts, a graduate of
Hanover Medical College, commenced practice at Buffalo,
N. Y., in 1835, where he soon died.

Rev. James H. Fitts, son of John Fitts, a graduate of
the theological seminary, Bangor, settled in West Boyl-
ston, Mass., married Celina, daughter of Coffin French.

James H. Eaton, son of Capt. Eben Eaton, studied law
at Lawrence, Mass., and was for many years principal of
the high school there ; is now cashier of a bank in that
city.

Dr. John Wilson Robie, son of John Robie and Sophia
Gibbons, of Chester, is a graduate of New York medical
school, and is a physician of that city.

John Taylor Moore, son of John Moore, Esq., and Polly,
daughter of John Taylor, Esq., counsellor-at-law, Man-
chester, N. H.

Dr. J. Frank Fitts, son of Joseph Fitts and Mahala,
daughter of John Buswell, a graduate of New York Medi-
cal School, and is located in Francestown, N. H.



650 HISTORY OF CANDIA.



VOTES PASSED BY THE PARISH OF CANDIA RESPECTING THE

REVOLUTIONARY WAR.

July 18, 1774, Abraham Fitts was chosen to meet at
Exeter on the 21st, to join in the choice of delegates to
the General Congress.

January 3, 1775, Lieut. Moses Baker was chosen to rep-
resent the parish in a meeting at Exeter, on the 25th
instant.

Walter Robie, Esq., Capt. Nathaniel Emerson, Dr. Samuel
Moore, Mr. Benjamin Cass and Mr. Jacob Worthcn were
chosen a committee to inspect all persons who do not con-
form to the advice of the late General Congress.

" Voted, to buy a barrel of powder, flints and lead,
answerable tliercto as a Parish stock.

" Voted, Capt. Emerson, Lieut. Baker and Ens. Bean
Desire all the males in Candia from sixteen to sixty years
old, to meet at Some Convenient time at the meeting house
in Candia, in order for viewing with arms and ammunition.

" Voted, that the People, as above mentioned, shall meet
at the meeting house in Candia, this day fortnight, at one
of the Clock in the afternoon."

February 21, 1775,

" Voted, that the Parish Do Confirm y** Transactions of
the last meeting and approve of what the Committee of
Inspection have Drawn up, Relating to y** affairs of the
Present Day, and made an addition to y° Committee of
inspection of 4 Persons, (Viz.) Dea. Nath' Burpee, Mr.
Abrm. Fitts, Lieut. Moses Baker and mr. Ichabod Robie."

May 11, 1775, Dr. Samuel Moore was chosen to repre-
sent the parish in the Provincial Congress, to be held at
Exeter May 17.

June 14, 1775, Capt. Nathaniel Emerson, Lieut. Moses
Baker and Dr. Samuel Moores were chosen a committee
to consult with the several officers, towns, parishes or com-
mittees out of the same, what way or manner shall be
thought best to regulate the militia in this regiment accor-
ding to the direction of Congress.

April 3, 1777, ten dollars each year was voted to each of
those eighteen persons who had enlisted for three years,



EEYOLUTIONARY HISTORY. 651

and a committee chosen to collect the money (if any)
which had been subscribed.

At an adjournment, April 8, ten dollars to each was added
to the above. A committee was also chosen to enquire
and see how much time and money each person has ex-
pended in supporting the war since the Concord fight.
The committee reported as follows, which was accepted :

" Concord men Is. per day, and extra charges.
" 8 months men, with Lieut. Emerson, 4 dollars each.
" 8 mouths men, with Lieut. Dustin, 2 dollars each.
" Winter Hill men with Capt. Baker, 1 dollar each.
" 1 years men to York 8 dollars : those to Delaware,
2 dollars each.

" Ty men, 13 2-3 dollars each.

" New York men last fall, 2 dollars each.
" Joseph Bean to Canada, 20 dollars."

May 19, 1777, Moses Baker, Walter Robie, Abraham
Fitts, I. Rowe and Benjamin Cass were chosen a commit-
tee to affix and settle the prices of goods and articles in
the parish of Candia, in pursuance of an act in addition
to the regulation act. (See in the history of Chester for
1779, ppT 142, 143.)

January 19, 1778, a committee was appointed to procure
our quota of Continental soldiers for three years or during
the war, and at an adjournment, in February, another com-
mittee of five was chosen to make further trial.

April 20, the committee was instructed to make further
trial, and hire money and pursue the business without loss
of time.

August 3, 1778, a committee was chosen to make in.
quiries respecting the families of those in the Continental
service for three years, and supply them with the neces-
saries of life.

August 19, 1779, it was voted to adopt measures similar
to the town of Portsmouth, and use the utmost of our
power in reducing the prices of the necessaries of life, and
gain the credit of our currency. Capt. Sargent and John
Clitford were chosen delegates to attend a convention at
Concord.



652 HISTOEY OF CANDIA.

October 26, 1779, it was voted to comply with the prices
that the late Convention stated, and a committee of seven
was chosen to state prices upon articles which the Conven-
tion did not, and to carry the same into execution.

July 4, 1780, a committee was chosen to hire twelve sol-
diers by way of a parish tax. A committee was also
chosen to make an average of what every person had done
in the war since it commenced.

July 10, 1780, a committee was chosen to assist the
selectmen in procuring our quota of beef for the Continen-
tal army.

November 14, 1781, it was voted that the selectmen
make a tax in Indian corn to pay the six- and three-months
men. There had been several votes passed respecting rais-
ing soldiers, which had proved ineffectual.

June 17, 1782, it was voted to divide the parish into as
many classes as will supply the deficiency, and if any class
or person refuse to pay their proportion for hiring a soldier
they shall pay double, to be assessed by the selectmen.

THE EARLY PATHS AND ROADS IN CANDIA.

The first road laid out and probably the first traveled in
Candia, was that laid out Sept., 1749. David McClure set-
tled near it. It is said that Mr. Turner, instead of going
up to the Corner, had a path across from Benjamin Smith's
to his place. Obed Hall early settled on No. 19, and Win-
tlirop Wells on No. 37, where Dea. Burpee afterwards
lived. They had a path from Mr. Turner's, crossing tlie
stream above Clay's mill. Samuel Eastman came from
Kingstown, probably through Chester, and took the first
road and followed up between the 0. H.'s and 3d D.,to the
stream below Bean's Island where he built a mill. But that
was a round-about way from Exeter, and Samuel Dudley
procured a road laid out June 12, 1759, from Freetown,
passing near the Centre to the " tail of Dudley's saw-mill,"
which was extended Sept. 30, 1760, passing north of the
present road to the Island, and bearing to the north to
Jerelniah Bean's, near the village school-house. The re-
mains of the road may yet be seen. Joseph Homans lived



EOADS. 65



o



near the Island, and Moses Smart above. This ^vas after-
wards discontinued. July 26, 1766, Candia laid out a road
beginning at Eaymond line between the first and second
ranges of lots (near Critchet's) then west northwest to the
road by Jeremiah Bean's. In 1771, Raymond laid out a
road from Dudley's to meet it.

It is said that Enoch Colby had a path across to the
reserve between Nos. 65 and 114, 2d P., 2d D., and down
to the clay pits, and over the road laid out Nov. 27, 1762,
and by the Dearborn mill, and over what is now called
Bunker Hill in Auburn, to Chester. It is said that John
Robie and the Towles sometimes traveled that way. The
first road laid out by Candia was Oct. 29, 1764, from
Emerson's Corner by Moses Baker's and Thomas Patten's,
to the road laid out by Chester, Sept., 1749.

Matthew Ramsey lived on No. 116, 3d D., and Benjamin
Bachelder owned No. 11-3, 2d P., 2d D., and lived towards
the east end. Oct. 29, 1764, a road was laid out, begin-
ning at the southwest corner of No. 89, 3d D., then west
northwest, following the reserve to Matthew Ramsey's
house, and on to the reserve between Nos. 114 and 122;
thenco to Ben. Bachelder's, then back to the west end of
his lot to the reserve near where H. M. Eaton now lives,
and by Samuel Buswell's to Walter Robie's house.

The south road was laid out at the east end of Nos. 121
and 122, 2d P., 2d D., April 6, 1770. Dec. 6, 1760, the
road was laid out from Esquire Robie's by Dea. Hills'.
The same day a road was laid out on the north side of No.
119, 2d P., 2d D., (Robie's) west northwest to the reserve ;
then 29'' west on the reserve to Chester line. Chester laid
out a road, passing over Campbell's bridge to meet this,
Sept. 14, 1773. This was to give Candia people a way to
Calfe's and Shirley's mills.

March 20, 1764. From the meeting-house southwest
between the parsonage and school lots.

April 8, 1769. From Deerfield line to Jeremiah Bean's.

The same day from Dea. Burpee's to Capt. Brown's.
(The north road.)



654 HISTORY OF RAYMOND.

April 6, 1770. From William UndcrhiU's to Henry
Hall's.

June 30, 1773. Extended to Allenstown line.



CHAPTER XIX



HISTORY OF RAYMOND.



That part of Old Chester which is now Raymond was
formerly called Freetown, and whatever is known about
it has been given in the history of Chester.

The following is a copy of the petition for being set off
as a separate parish :

" To his Excellency Benning Wentworth, Esq., Governor
and Commander-in-chief i-n and over his Majestie's Prov-
ince of New Hampshire ; To the Hon'ble His Majestie's
Council and the Hon'ble House of Representatives in
General Assembly convened : —

" The Petition of us, the subscribers. Inhabitants of that
part of Chester CalP the Xorth Parish, or frcetown, Hum-
bly Sheweth That your Petitioners Living at such a great
Distance from the Town that they have no advantage of
the Ministry nor School, Notwithstanding they have for
many years Paid Their proportion to the support of Both ;
And The Town being Sensible That It would be Just for
us To be freed from that Charge, have at a meeting held at
Chester, Jany. 26th, 1763, Voted That That Part of the



Online LibraryBenjamin ChaseHistory of old Chester [N. H.] from 1719 to 1869 → online text (page 55 of 60)