Benjamin F. Arrington.

Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 1 of 56)
Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 1 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


NYPL RESEARCH LIBRARIES



3 3433 07954450 2



i'Ml^



R/A:



:Ma













IQH



rZ



id.




I



"\\^'^^^



MUNICIPAL HISTORY

OF

ESSEX COUNTY

IN

MASSACHUSETTS



TERCENTENARY EDITION



A classified work, devoted to the County's remarkable

growth in all lines of human endeavor;

more especially to within a

period of fifty years



BENJ. F. ARRINGTON
Editor-in-Chief



VOLUME IV.



1922

LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY

NEW YORK



K'm






THE new' .

I PUBLIC Lir,^.\R,

A3TC3H. LSNOX A^-a I
I TILS^N FOUNDATIONS
R 192S r I



COPYRIGHT

LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING CO.

1922



ESSEX COUNTY



^i^>

>^^^




■^-^.ff-^^ cL-eAx/-t,^^ /'dx-v.^'..-^^^



BIOGRAPHICAL



241



Buckley came to the United States when he was a
boy, and has spent his entire time in this country
since. The mother came to this country when she
was a young girl, and lived here until her death,
in 1895.

Mr. Buckley received a practical education in the
public schools of his native city, then, when he had
finished the regular course, went out into the indus-
trial world. He worked first for the F. T. Ward
Company, of Salem, then prominent provision deal-
ers, remaining with them for a period of four years.
Later he became an employee of the Abbott-Rogers
Shoe Company, of Salem, where he remained for a
short time, going thereafter to Richard Quirk, of
Salem, also a manufacturer of shoes. Up to the
present time Mr. Buckley has continued in the shoe
business, and has been associated with the follov/-
ing companies: J. Dane, of Salem; M. Shortell &
Sons, of Salem; James Tullock, the Burns Shoe
Company, and the Farwell Shoe Company, of Dan-
vers; Charles B. Fuller & Sons, Dennis Brady, and
Cass & Dailey, of Salem; V. K. & H. Jones, Therill
Bacheler Company, and Joseph Caunt Company, of
Lynn; Blarston Brothers, of Danvers; the Allen
Foster Willet Company, of Lynn; J. Brovim & Son,
and D. D. Lafavour & Sons, of Salem; and is now
with the Ebon Martin Company, of Marblehead.
Mr. Buckley is familiar with every detail of the shoe
industry, and is a recognized authority on shoes
and leathers.

From 1909 to 1919, Mr. Buckley held the office
of business agent for the United Shoe Workers of
America. He is a member of the Catholic Order
of Foresters, being connected with the Essex Court,
of Salem, and with the John Bertram Lodge, of
Salem Workmen. He is a member of St. James
Church.

In 1900 Patrick J. Buckley maiTied Mary J.
Buckley, of Salem, and they have two children,
Mary E., and Arthur J.



G. EDWIN BENNETT— For thirty years previ-
ous to his death, which occuri-ed June 11, 1918, G.
Edwin Bennett was engaged in the real estate busi-
ness at Lynn, Massachusetts. During his sixty-four
years of life all of which he spent in his native
place, he was officially identified with a number of
her leading institutions, and was ever a zealous ad-
vocate and supporter of her most vital and essen-
tial interests.

G. Edwin Bennett was bom in Lynn, Massachu-
setts, August 27, 1854, the son of Jeremiah and
Adeline (Gumey) Bennett. Jeremiah Bennett serv-
ed the cause of the Union during the Civil War and
while in action was severely wounded, the effects
from which later caused his death. The boy re-
ceived his education in the public schools of his
native place and after terminating his studies, en-
tered the shoe business in which he continued until
1883 when he established himself in the real estate
business. He was thus engaged exclusively up to
the time of his death and had built up a large and
extremely flourishing trade. He was a member of
the Chamber of Commerce. His political affiliations

Essex — 2 — 16



were with the Republicans and while he never held
office, his influence was often felt in political cir-
cles, his advice upon questions of public moment
being frequently solicited by those in authority and
by leaders of the organization. Ever ready to res-
pond to any deseiwing call made upon him he was
widely charitable, and in his religious affiliations he
attended St. Paul's Episcopal church.

Mr. Bennett maiTied, first, Gertrude York, who
died in Lynn, leaving one child, Helen, who married
Malcolm McLeod of Lynn. Mr. Bennett married,
second, in 1897, Eugenia Pearl, and to them were
born two children: PhUip E., who is now, 1921, tak-
ing a special course at Dartmouth College, having
graduated from the institution in 1920; Mary E.,
who is at home.



ANGELO MARIO ZARRELLA, M. D., one of

the prominent young physicians of Lynn, Massachu-
setts, although but vei-y recently having opened
his office, gives promise of a successful future in his
chosen profession.

Dr. Zarrella was born in Boston, August 13, 1893,
and is a son of Ciriaco and Consiglia Zarrella. The
family consists of five children, one daughter, La-
vina, and three sons besides the young Lynn doctor,
Joseph, George, who died in 1916, and a younger
son, George. The father is a successful wholesale
and retail fiiiit dealer in Boston.

Dr. Zarrella was educated in Boston, passing
through the gi'ammar and high schools of that city,
then entering Tufts College, he took the medical
course, and was gi-aduated in 191C, with the degree
of Doctor of Medicine. He went to the LjTin Hos-
pital as interne, remaining for sixteen months;
then passed the Massachusetts State Board in Sep-
tember, 191G. He enlisted for service in the army
during the A^'orld War, but was rejected. He
was at the Carney Hospital in Boston during Oc-
tober and November, 1917, and had charge of the
Out-Patient Surgery Department; and was visiting
physician to Child Welfare House, Lynn. Then
from November of that year to January, 1919, he
was associated with Dr. Bowen as his assistant.
In 1919 he opened an office in Lynn, for the gen-
eral practice of medicine and surgery. He is tak-
ing a position well up in the ranks of the medical
profession, and his success is undoubtedly only a
matter of time.

Dr. Zan-ella is a member of the Lynn Medical
Fraternity; of the Massachusetts Bledical Society;
and of the American Medical Association. In pol-
itical affiliation, he is a Republican.

Dr. Angelo Mario Zanella married Elizabeth A.
Goss, of Rye, New Hampshire, who is a graduate
nurse of Lynn Hospital. The date of her gradua-
tion was August 5, 1918. Dr. and Mrs. ZaiTella are
members of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church.



JAMES A. LIACOS— One of the successful at-
torneys of Peabody, Massachusetts, and a man who,
although having been established but a short time,
has already made a name for himself in the public
life of the community, is James A. Liacos, a native



242



ESSEX COUNTY



of Elasson, Greece, bom there March 31, 1881.

James A. Liacos received the elementary portion
of his education in the public schools of his native
place, subsequently matriculating at Diconomon
College, from which he was graduated with the
degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1898. For the fol-
lowing three years he taught languages in the
schools there, and then in 1904 came to this country
and securfid work in mills at Lowell and Ayer,
Massachusetts, later coming to Peabody when he
decided that he would make the United States his
permanent home. Devoting himself to the study
of English, he took a course in bookkeeping at the
Salem Commercial School, and in 1913 returned to
Greece for the purpose of bringing back with him
his father and mother. In September, 1914, having
decided upon the profession of law for his career,
he entered Northeastern Law School at Boston,
from which he was graduated with the degree of
Bachelor of Laws, in 1918. Throughout his school
and college years he had proved himself an intel-
ligent and painstaking student, and at their close
came to the opening of his career, unusually well-
equipped both with natural gifts and a training
that was the result of conscientious effort. In the
latter part of 1918, he opened an office in Peabody
Square, and this has remained his headquai-ters ever
since. He has served as interpreter in many im-
portant cases and in many States, and at the same
time is proving himself to be a most capable and
conscientious attorney. He is affiliated witli the
Essex County Bar Association, and is a prominent
member in the Greek Orthodox church.

In June, 1910, Mr. Liacos was united in man-iage
■with Alice Harden, of Roxbury, Massachusetts.
There is no issue. Such is the life of James A.
Liacos a self-made man, starting in this country
poor in finances but rich in shrewdness and fore-
sight, traits which go to make up a man among
men. Quick to grasp the necessity of mingling
with the nation's successful men, he adapted him-
self to circumstances, and took advantage of every
opportunity which would bring him in contact with
the worth while things of life. Today he stands as
one of the most prominent and respected citizens
of the community.



WILLIAM B. GRAVES, who conducts a popular
bowling alley in Lynn, is a prominent and repre-
sentative citizen, and is descended from ancestors
who bore a part in the early history of this coun-
try and of other nations.

Capt. Elisha Graves, Mr. Graves' great-grand-
father, was captain of an American vessel, which
took an active part in the French Revolution, in
1801. In 1819 he was given a medal for rescuing
lives at sea, and received also a share of the cargo
on board the vessel saved. He rescued passengers
and crew.

Frank W. Graves, Mr. Graves' father, was for
many years engaged in the plumbing business in
Lynn. He married Harriet B. McKinney, of On-
arga, Illinois.

William B. Graves, son of Frank W. and Harriet



B. (McKinney) Graves, was bom in Lynn, Novem-
ber 26, 1875. Receiving his education in the pub-
lic schools of Lynn and Swampscott, he early went
to work, being first employed in the plant of the
Morrell Leather Company, of Salem. He continued
there for five years, then branched out for himself,
and opened a bowling alley, in which business he
has since been engaged. He has a fine up-to-date
place, and is very successful in his chosen line of
activity.

Fraternally Mr. Graves is a member of Bay State
Lodge, No. 40, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
He is president of the Odd Fellows' Bowling
League, and is president of the Lynn City Bowling
League.

In March, 1902, William B. Graves married
Grace Ellen Cook, of West Medway, Massachusetts,
daughter of Andrew and Ida (Gilmore) Cook, of
Milford, Massachusetts. Mrs. Graves' father served
in the Civil War, an uncle served in the Spanish-
American War, and a brother, Edward Cook, was
killed in action in the World War. Mrs. Graves
is president of the Daughters of Veterans; a mem-
ber of the Spanish- American Auxiliary; and also
a member of Myrtle Lodge of Rebeckahs.



JEAN MARIE MISSUD is a thorough musician
and composer, and as an arranger of high-class
musical programs, has no superiors. The Salem
Cadet Band, of which he is the organizer and
leader, is well known throughout both continents,
which is due entirely to Mr. Missud's wonderful
leadership.

Jean Marie Missud was born in Nice, France,
AprO 25, 1852, the son of Joseph and Augustine
(Barralli) Missud. His father was a sea faring
man. The boy, Jean M., attended public schools
of his native place untU graduating from the local
high school, when in February, 1870, he enlisted
as a musician in France, in the United States Navy,
making a nine months' cruise, and receiving his
honorable discharge upon landing in the United
States. Since a lad of thirteen he had studied the
clarionet, and continued to play this particular in-
strument although at the same time he was studying
the technique of the various band instruments. In
1878 he came to Salem, after having played in
bands in Boston and New York, and organized the
Salem Cadet Band. This band has played in all of
the large cities of the United States, Canada and
also in the island of Bermuda. In 1896 the band
went to London with the Ancient and Honorable
Artillery Company, and while there the organiza-
tion was greatly appreciated by prominent music
lovers. The band is composed of fifty musicians,
when requu'ed.

Mr. Missud has written many musical compo-
sitions, among them being the "Chilian Dance," the
"Manana" and a serenade called "Magnolia." On
July 15, 1907, he was awarded a certificate of
honor from the president of his native place, where
his compositions had been received, and he has also
received a certificate of merit from the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks, Philadelphia Lodge.



BIOGRAPHICAL



243



In politics he is a Republican, and takes the keen
interest in the organization which is demanded
of every good citizen. He also holds membership
in the Salem Club.

On December 13, 1883, Mr. Missud was united
in marriage with Emma Austin Walden, daughter
of Joseph and Mary (Austin) Walden. Mr. and
Mrs. Missud are the parents of two children: J.
Walden, a traveling salesman, married Eleanor Ab-
bott, they have one child, Jean Walden. Marie,
wife of B. E. Schwarz, of Brockton, Massachusetts,
they are the parents of one child, Nanine.



WILLIAM H. DAY, JR.— A constructive spirit
in the administration of public affairs is a force
the value of which cannot be estimated — nor can
its effects be determined. In Lynn, Massachu-
setts, such a force is the present secretary of the
Chamber of Commerce, William H. Day, Jr., who
has served in that capacity for a period of six
years, and in other public offices previously.

William H. Day, Jr., was bom in Marblehead,
Massachusetts, in the year 1885, son of William H.
and Mai-y A. Day. He was educated in the pub-
lic schools of Marblehead, Massachusetts; Alton,
New Hampshire, and Beverly, Massachusetts, as
the family fortunes made these changes advisable.
Circumstances forced the lad to leave school at
the age of sixteen, he then entering the employ
of the Boston & Maine raillroad as messenger boy.
He was not, however, to remain long in a sub-
ordinate position, but was soon sent to Overshort
as damage clerk, then through the billing depart-
ment, and on up the ladder, until, in 1910, he
was made chief clerk of the Lynn offices of the
company.

This career so favorably attracted the attention
of Lynn's business men that when the present
Chamber of Commerce came into existance in 1913,
Mr. Day was the unanimous choice of the mem-
bership for the position of transpoi-tation man-
ager. His railroad experience was invaluable, giv-
ing the inside knowledge of the railway companies'
point of view, and also the logical point of pro-
cedure from the point of view of the public.
Through Mr. Day's efforts the present through-car
service, bet^veen Lynn and the great shipping cen-
ters of the country, w^as established. He appear-
ed before governmental bodies, national and State,
in an effort to secure readjustment of existing
rates, rules and practices, both by rail and water,
and as a result, Lynn sliippers and receivers of
freight have been greatly benefited. In the some-
what lesser, but still vital matter of the street
railway service, he has intei-vened for the public
in many cases relating to the public service.

Mr. Day is regional vice-president and a director
of the National Industrial Traffic League, the
largest shippers' organization of its kind in the
world, also is a director and member of the ex-
ecutive committee of the New England Traffic
League. During the war period, 1917-18, Mr. Day
was one of two shippers representatives selected
by the railroad administration at Washington to



serve on the New England rate committee, which
body recommended the rates and rules governing
the movement of freight traffic in New England
during the period of government control. Every
step of this constructive activity has widely ad-
vertised the city of Lynn as a center of indus-
trial and commercial progress. Now, as secre-
tary of the Lynn Chamber of Commerce, Mr.
Day's work is perhaps less spectacular, but none
the less valuable to the community, and produc-
tive of fai-reaching advantage to the people.

Dm-ing the war period, Mr. Day, in addition
to sei-ving on the railroad administration, took
an active part in Liberty Loan drives, as a mem-
ber of Lynn's executive committee. He planned
the Greater War Chest Campaign; was interested
in every Red Cross and Red 'Triangle Drive; served
on the local fuel committee in 1917; was local fuel
administrator in 1920, and later acted as the
local fuel distributor. He is a big organization
man, belonging to twenty-one clubs and societies,
a member of the Masonic order, holding the thirty-
second degree, is a noble of the Mystic Slirine,
president of the Marblehead Masonic Club, and is
president of the Essex County Associated Boards
of Ti-ade, an organization made up of delegates
from all commercial bodies in the county, some
fifteen in number.

Mr. Day man-ied Clara Wright, of Marblehead,
July 20, 1904, and they are the parents of a
daughter, Thelma, and a son, Webster.



ALBERT IRVING COUCH— Immediately school
years were over, Albert I. Couch, now an honored
member of the banking fraternity of Lawi-ence,
Massachusetts, entered business life, and from 1885
until the present (1922) he has been identified
\vith the mercantile and financial interests of
Lawrence. The family is an ancient one in New
England, this branch settling at an early date in
New Hampshire.

Mr. Couch comes of an ancient English family,
one that has long been identified with New Eng-
land. The ancestor, Joseph Couch, was of Kittery,
Maine, as early as March 30, 1662, where he was
a shipbuilder. His son, William Couch, removed
to Newbury, Massachusetts, but his son, Joseph
(2) Couch, became one of the early settlers of
Boscawen, New Hampshire. He married Alice
Rowell, and they were the parents of a son, Ben-
jamin Couch, a Revolutionai-y soldier, whose de-
scendants settled in Webster, New Hampshire,
whence came Albert I. Couch.

Albert Irving Couch was bom in Webster, New
Hampshire, July 12, 1867, son of Walter S. and
Sarah W. Couch, his maternal ancestor a soldier
of the Revolution. After graduating from the
Lawrence High School in 1885, Mr. Couch
began his business career as bookkeeper with
the Edison Electric Illuminating Company, of
Lawrence, and there spent four years. In 1899 he
was appointed teller of the Essex Savings Bank,
Lawrence, and for twelve years remained in that
capacity with that institution. In 1901 he was



244



ESSEX COUNTY



elected treasurer of the Lawrence Savings Bank,
but in 1902 returned to the Essex Savings Bank
as treasurer. Two decades have since intervened
and the association remains unbroken, Mr. Couch
continuing the honored head of the financial de-
partment of this consei-vative and highly rated
institution. He is also a director of the Bay State
National Bank, Lavirence, and president of the
Morris Plan Bank, also of Lawrence.

A man of affairs above all else, Mr. Couch is
not unmindful of the obligations of citizenship
and takes a deep interest in community affairs.
He is a director of the Lawi-ence Young Men';;
Christian Association, a member of the Lawrence
Street Congiegational Church, a Republican in his
political opinions, and a member of the Merrimack
Valley Country Club.

Mr. Couch man-ied, June 17, 1896, Alice Mabel
Eaton, of Lawrence, Massachusetts.



WILLIAM DAVIS TWISS was bom at Thorn-
ton's Feri-y, a village of Hillsboro county. New
Hampshire, on the Men-imac river, eleven miles
south of Manchester, December 2, 1864. Lawrence,
Massachusetts, later became the family home, and
in that city he was educated in public schools.
At the age of fourteen he entered the employ of
the Russell Paper Company, and five years later,
March 1, 1883, he began his sei-vice with the
Everett Mills, of Lawience, a sei'vice that has
continued until the present, 1922, a period of
thirty-nine years. He began as a clerk in 188.3,
was promoted to the grade of assistant paymaster,
then paymaster, then superintendent, a position he
filled for twenty-five years, until April 22, 1921,
when he was made agent, his present position. He
is also tnistee of the Broadway Savings Bank,
of Lawrence, and interested in many Lawrence
organizations.

Mr. Twiss is a member of Trinity Congregational
Church, and of its board of assessors, vice-presi-
dent of Lawrence Boys' Club, Incorporated; mem-
ber of Lawrence City Mission, Lawrence Rotary
Club and Merrimack Valley Country Club. He is
affiliated with Monadnock Lodge, Independent Or-
der of Odd Fellows, and of Kearsarge Encamp-
ment, No. 14.5, of the same order. He is a mem-
ber of the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce, and
in politics is a Republican.

In Lawi-ence, May 9, 1888, Mr. Twiss married
Margaret Elizabeth Rowe, daughter of John S.
and Mercy Rowe, her father a jeweler. Mr. and
Mrs. Twiss are the parents of two children:
Beatrice Margaret, a graduate of Wellesley Col-
lege, 1913, manned George Gibson Brown, of
Lawrence; and Catherine Davis, a graduate of
Wellesley College, 1921, married Kenneth Colman
Allen, of Portland, Maine.



ORLANDO F. HATCH— Nearly half a century
ago Orlando F. Hatch came from East Boston to
Newburyport, Massachusetts, and was for many
years associated with his father and brother in
the firm, L. M. Hatch & Sons, ship joiners and



contractors. They were expert at fine joiner work,
their specialty the finishing of the cabins on ships
built in the local yards. They were widely known
in their specialty, having no superiors in fine
joiner work, but shipbuilding waned, and with few
new ships being built there were few cabins to
be finished, the firm then becoming general build-
ing contractors and lumber dealei-s. They finished
the cabins of the last merchant sailing vessel
built on the Merrimack river in 1902. The father,
Lot M. Hatch, continued active in the firm until
his death in 1904, thirty-one years having elapsed
since he founded the firm, L. M. Hatch & Sons.
The brothers, Orlando F. and Willard A. Hatch,
continued the business under the old fiiTn name
for two years after their father's retirement, then
re-organized as Hatch Brothers, as at present.
They have in recent years withdrawn from gen-
eral contracting and given their entire attention
to their lumber yard and building supply business
at their yards and offices on Bartlett street, New-
buryport; the business is a prosperous one and
handles a volume of business eveiy year.

This branch of the Hatch family traces from
one of the oldest New England families, the Ameri-
can ancestor, William Hatch, a sturdy Pilgrim,
v/ho sailed from Sandwich, England, and settled in
Scituate, Massachusetts, as early as 1635. Through
the generations succeeding liim the Hatch family
has given to the Colony, to the New England
States, and to the Nation, many men with dis-
tinguished record in the arts of war and peace,
Orlando F. Hatch being one who gave worthy
service to the Nation in the gi-eat test of the
"sixties."

Orlando F. Hatch, eldest of the four sons of
Lot M. and Nancy M. (Hall) Hatch, was bom in
Nobleboro, Maine, October 26, 1845. He was edu-
cated in the public schools of Newcastle, at Lin-
coln Academy (Maine) and Bryant & Stratton
Business College, Boston. After leaving school he
leamed the ship joiners trade under his skilled
father, the family then residing in East Boston.
In 1873 the father moved his business to Nev/-
buryport, where Orlando F. and Willard A. joined
him as stated, and the firm of L. M. Hatch &
Sons was formed, now Hatch Brothers.

In 1864 Orlando F. Hatch entered the United
States Navy; enlisted on board the United States
frigate "Sabine," at Portland, Maine; was trans-
fen-ed to the receiving ship "Ohio," at Charles-
tovm Navy Yard, and assigned to the United States
ship "Mahaska," attached to the East Gulf Squad-
ron, dischai-ged in June, 1865. Mr. Hatch is a
member of the A. W. Bartlett Post, No. 49, Grand
Army of the Republic, Department of Massa-
chusetts, wliich he served as commander during
the years 1919-20-21. During his incumbency,
largely through his efforts, the mortgage on Me-
morial Hall, dedicated to the memory of the
soldiers and sailors of Newburyport who served
in the Civil War, was discharged. He was a mem-
ber of the Atkinson Common Soldiers and Sailors
Monument Association which secured to the city



BIOGRAPHICAL



245



the statue of "The Volunteer" and Memorial Tab-
lets beai'ing 14S1 names of all soldiers and sailors
of Newburyport who sei-ved from 1861 to 1865,



Online LibraryBenjamin F. ArringtonMunicipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 1 of 56)